PDA

View Full Version : Marbella 1st round: Vika Azarenka def. Arantxa Parra Santonja 62-63

JeLeNaJfAn
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Well Done- great change to clay courts.
Jetlag? No way :eek:

Great result and impressive groundstrokes.
Good Luck next round:angel:

VIKA?
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice one by Vika:yeah::woohoo: Parra didn't break Vika's serve in the whole match:)

JeLeNaJfAn
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:06 PM
You´re first :) Great result for Vika

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
pretty good for Vika ;) :yeah: looked fine on the clay after just a day or so to practice on it.

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Decent, solid start on the clay for Vika. :yeah:
Not broken once, not much DFs and only a few sloppy errors here and there.

ElusiveChanteuse
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Vika :cheer:

Sombrerero loco
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
nice vika :)

Shadowcat
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Thank you Vika! Congratz :cheer:

Shadowcat
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Thank you Vika! Congratz! :cheer:

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I dont know if playing an Int'l right after winning a mandatory is a great idea. As long as she leaves healthy, but its still a lot of tennis with traveling

Hian
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Vika :cheer:
Arantonja :hug:

Igor_Biscan
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Thank you Vika

klever58
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:18 PM
:woohoo: unstoppable Vika!

Sharapovian
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Good start on the clay for Vika :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I dont know if playing an Int'l right after winning a mandatory is a great idea. As long as she leaves healthy, but its still a lot of tennis with traveling

i thought you'd be happy with all the $$$$ she's getting
then again you only count the $$$ for your favs

pwayne
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Good move for Victoria to get herself adjusted to red clay.

Vee Williams
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM

she isn't getting that much money here, especially compared to her Miami paycheck. at least she is fulfilling a commitment, unlike others

Jane Lane
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Vika :yeah: Fuckery-free :cheer:

New_balls_please
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Arantxa :sobbing: Such a bad draw for her.

Vika :yeah: Win the whole thing now.

saul1333
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thank you Vika :hearts:

SUPER
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:48 PM
It's good to see a top player showing commitment to the sport:)
Parra:hug:

Talula
Apr 6th, 2011, 01:55 PM

I wondered that and then thought itnis actually a clever way of an introduction to the clay season. Not too big a tournament. Plus she gets to have a week in a beautiful resort. With money for old rope thrown in! Bet she's having a ball!

At least Vika doesn't suffer from Clijsteritis - can't get motivated for small tournaments and lowly ranked players!

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Its still coming after a tough tournament where she played some long tough matches.
That's what younger players want, they want to play, not rest for majors

Igor_Biscan
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I wondered that and then thought itnis actually a clever way of an introduction to the clay season. Not too big a tournament. Plus she gets to have a week in a beautiful resort. With money for old rope thrown in! Bet she's having a ball!

At least Vika doesn't suffer from Clijsteritis - can't get motivated for small tournaments and lowly ranked players!

Even though she got injured when she played here last year, she still had nice things to say about the tournament and the organisation. It's good to see her following up on that and returning even though last year's injury wrecked her whole clay season :)

Corswandt
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:11 PM

*zing*

Corswandt
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:17 PM
APS hasn't done a thing in ages apart from the Acachoko final, but she's still a fairly dangerous opponent on mud. This score and the reports above show just how solid Shriekarenka is playing right now.

Re: the main issue being discussed, it makes perfect sense for Shriekarenka to play her first couple of mudball matches in a tournament nobody cares about, against middling to poor quality opposition, rather than facing a top 30 opponent in Stuttgart for her very first mudball match of the season and risk being upset there and then. So IMO everything's fine as long as Shriekarenka doesn't kill herself trying to win this and tanks say in the next round. Let's not forget she's playing Fed Cup next week.

Temperenka
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Good start to the clay season for Snickers :)

After 14 hours in the library, coming home to this helps a wee little bit :sobbing:

Good luck in the next round! And like Corswandt said, don't kill yourself over this tournament!

Mistress of Evil
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
7 wins in a row :cheer:

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Oh and, it really does seem as if the claycourts here in Marbella play faster in Miami. Much faster in fact.

APS hasn't done a thing in ages apart from the Acachoko final, but she's still a fairly dangerous opponent on mud. This score and the reports above show just how solid Shriekarenka is playing right now.

Re: the main issue being discussed, it makes perfect sense for Shriekarenka to play her first couple of mudball matches in a tournament nobody cares about, against middling to poor quality opposition, rather than facing a top 30 opponent in Stuttgart for her very first mudball match of the season and risk being upset there and then. So IMO everything's fine as long as Shriekarenka doesn't kill herself trying to win this and tanks say in the next round. Let's not forget she's playing Fed Cup next week.
Hmm I almost forgot about this. But the schedule on her website states otherwise though. (The play-off for WGII is 16-17th of April)

Corswandt
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Hmm I almost forgot about this. But the schedule on her website states otherwise though.

Official team nominations already out:

http://www.fedcup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100015625

Break My Rapture
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Official team nominations already out:

http://www.fedcup.com/en/results/tie/details.aspx?tieId=100015625
So basically she's playing the weekend before Stuttgart starts? That's a lot of tennis.

Vikapower
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Solid first win Vika !! :yeah:

tonybotz
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Can Vika Azarenka become a dominant number one? I'm starting to believe...

LUVMIRZA
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:08 PM

She has to win a slam first....:angel:

Good win Vika:worship: Please continue:cheer::cheer:

miffedmax
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:12 PM
http://www.by-the-sword.com/acatalog/ah-3509t.jpg

The invincible LOB sweeps onward!

gmak
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Vika :yeah: :D :)
good scoreline considering she just came from Miami

QF with Dinara coming up :drool:

Lucemferre
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM

Just because she beat a nobody at a MM doesn't mean she is ready to dominate.

hurricanejeanne
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Vika! :cheer: Mininmal Fuckery! :cheer:

Since she's playing this tournament and Fed Cup, maybe she'll consider withdrawing from Stuttgart. I'd rather her play on faster clay like that in Spain and Roma than slow clay in Germany. We'll just have to wait and see.

*Jool*
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
stupid draw :sobbing:

:scratch: has Arantxa reached 2nd round somewhere except Acapulco ? :awww: time for that to change ...

suerte en dobles, guapa ! y donde sea que juegas tu proximo torneo (Fes ?)

Ballbasher
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Vika! :cheer: Mininmal Fuckery! :cheer:

Since she's playing this tournament and Fed Cup, maybe she'll consider withdrawing from Stuttgart. I'd rather her play on faster clay like that in Spain and Roma than slow clay in Germany. We'll just have to wait and see.
Stuttgart is the fastest "clay" :p She has a week off after Stuttgart, so her schedule is quite good, I believe!

hurricanejeanne
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Stuttgart is the fastest "clay" :p She has a week off after Stuttgart, so her schedule is quite good, I believe!

Is it really? Eh, all clay is evil to me. :p

Corswandt
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'd rather her play on faster clay like that in Spain and Roma than slow clay in Germany.

Stuttgart is the fastest "clay" :p

Yup. It's also made out of red brick, but with much larger particles, about the size of crushed stone, rather than the dust used at RG and elsewhere. It is then compacted to make for a much harder and faster surface than the usual mudball courts.

hurricanejeanne
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Yup. It's also made out of red brick, but with much larger particles, about the size of crushed stone, rather than the dust used at RG and elsewhere. It is then compacted to make for a much harder and faster surface than the usual mudball courts.

Thank you for elaborating. Learn something new everyday. :lol:
Well this certainly throws a wrench in my scheduling theory for Vika, as quicker clay would benefit her game. I still think 4 events plus Fed Cup before the French is too much even if Vika doesn't play particularly well on clay.

Derek.
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Vika. :yeah:

peanuts
Apr 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Vika. :eek: Wasn't expecting this nice score but yay! :cheer: