PDA

View Full Version : Mary Joe selects Mattek-Sands, Huber, Oudin, McHale, and Venus(ish)

alwayshingis
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=6296522

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Venus Williams plans to travel with the U.S. Fed Cup team for its world group playoff at Germany but is not expected to play because of an injured hip that has sidelined her since January.

The U.S. Tennis Association said Tuesday that Williams' management team said she would accompany the team. The USTA said it considers that enough to fulfill participation requirements for the 2012 Olympics, because Williams is willing to play Fed Cup and can't because of injury.

U.S. captain Mary Joe Fernandez's roster will include Fed Cup regulars Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Melanie Oudin and Liezel Huber.

Christina McHale joins the team after recently moving into the top 100 in the WTA rankings.

The April 16-17 matches at Stuttgart, Germany, will be played on red clay.

young_gunner913
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
We're fucked. All the pressure is on Queen Bethanie to save the U.S.

Pump-it-UP
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:10 PM
The USTA said it considers that enough to fulfill participation requirements for the 2012 Olympics, because Williams is willing to play Fed Cup and can't because of injury.

Good. :yeah:

In before the outrage starts over that sentence. :lol:

tea
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:11 PM
World group. Like for real?:D

SVK
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Oudin...
Stevenson would be better choice right now

I would like to see Falconi there:(

Miss Atomic Bomb
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Poor USA, they have almost reached the bottom as top tennis players are concerned. Serena re-entering top 10 has been the highlight of their tennis year :bigcry:

young_gunner913
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Poor US:sobbing:, they have fallen so far as far as top tennis players are concerned. Serena re-entering top 10 has been the highlight of their tennis year :cry:

We won Hopman Cup. :D

PLP
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Poor USA, they have almost reached the bottom as top tennis players are concerned. Serena re-entering top 10 has been the highlight of their tennis year :bigcry:

No, I think Christina and Coco entering the top 100 for the first time has been significant...and I expect a few more young Americans to join them by the end of the year.

This is a decent team...should be a good tie!

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:21 PM
GL Team USA! :bounce:

shoparound
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Oudin...
Stevenson would be better choice right now

I would like to see Falconi there:(

Falconi, Riske, King or Hampton might be a better choice for sure. Hell Keys, Stephens, and Davis might be a better choice.

wildemu
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I'd rather see mchale play that 2nd singles spot over melanie. It's our best chance to win.

Ryan
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I feel bad for Vania. 2 Doubles Slams in the last year and not on the Fed Cup team. She's a better singles player than Oudin right now. :weirdo:

wildemu
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
vania may have burned some bridges with what transpired in december so I am not surprised. Or she may want to focus on her clay court season.

SVK
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Falconi, Riske, King or Hampton might be a better choice for sure. Hell Keys, Stephens, and Davis might be a better choice.

Riske and King are playing like Oudin right now:spit: But Hampton and Falconi - YES
Mattek/Huber is good enough for doubles

young_gunner913
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I feel bad for Vania. 2 Doubles Slams in the last year and not on the Fed Cup team. She's a better singles player than Oudin right now. :weirdo:

She's won 5 MD matches this year compared to Vania's 2, 1 she got yesterday. But Melanie has beaten both Vania and Georges in the past couple weeks. Granted it was on hardcourt and I'm assuming Petkovic and Lisicki will be playing singles. :scared: I think McHale or even Falconi would've been a better choice.

Sammo
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Oudin :cuckoo:

Ryan
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:07 PM
She's won 5 MD matches this year compared to Vania's 2, 1 she got yesterday. But Melanie has beaten both Vania and Georges in the past couple weeks. Granted it was on hardcourt and I'm assuming Petkovic and Lisicki will be playing singles. :scared: I think McHale or even Falconi would've been a better choice.

Yeah, fair enough. I just feel bad for Vania I guess, she gets overlooked when she's such a great doubles player. Still, they need a 2nd singles player besides Beth, and Mel's been awful. Falconi, Christina or even Coco would be a great choice.

young_gunner913
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah, fair enough. I just feel bad for Vania I guess, she gets overlooked when she's such a great doubles player. Still, they need a 2nd singles player besides Beth, and Mel's been awful. Falconi, Christina or even Coco would be a great choice.

True, I just don't know what MJF was thinking. If she's trying to be loyal to Melanie or if she's just putting all of the eggs in one basket with Bethanie. I'm thinking McHale will replace Melanie if she loses her first singles match.

Drake1980
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Doesn't Melanie usually play well in Fed Cup regardless of her crumby tour results? :shrug:

young_gunner913
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Doesn't Melanie usually play well in Fed Cup regardless of her crumby tour results? :shrug:

She got blitzed in Fed Cup vs Belgium 6-0, 6-4 and 6-2, 6-0. :o

ce
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:47 PM
USA :help:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Why was Lepchenko snubbed? She's not a world beater, but clay is her best surface and she's ranked in the top 80. She's certainly a better chance than Oudin at the moment.

CrossCourt~Rally
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Why was Lepchenko snubbed? She's not a world beater, but clay is her best surface and she's ranked in the top 80. She's certainly a better chance than Oudin at the moment.

I remember reading somewhere last year that Varva is still ineligible to play for the US. From what i remember from the article, this should change soon :bounce:

Btw, i think Beth & Christina would make a very solid first string singles lineup :cool:

young_gunner913
Apr 5th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Okay, with Christina just mysteriously destroying Kleybs, I think MJF should DEF take notice!! Melanie should be the back up singles player.

Drake1980
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:06 AM
She got blitzed in Fed Cup vs Belgium 6-0, 6-4 and 6-2, 6-0. :o

Oh! Oops! :o

starin
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:30 AM
US Fed Cup team reflecting US fading global power

theFutureisNow
Apr 6th, 2011, 02:46 AM
The USTA said it considers that enough to fulfill participation requirements for the 2012 Olympics, because Williams is willing to play Fed Cup and can't because of injury.

Good. :yeah:

In before the outrage starts over that sentence. :lol:

No one is going to be outraged because the USTA is completely irrelevant. Who cares if they want to blatantly break their own rules?

I don't know how easy it would be to reverse things, but the USTA has become synonymous with utter failure.

cosmoose
Apr 6th, 2011, 05:44 AM
I asked her about this and she said she doesn't become US citizen until August this year.

Bonfire
Apr 6th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Queen Beth and Christina will give U.S. team something to cheer for! It's not the Williams sisters by any means... but I think they have a good shot:)

duhcity
Apr 6th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Xtina is far away the better singles player. She should play.

young_gunner913
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
US Fed Cup team reflecting US fading global power

We've made the final the last 2 years. That's pretty decent without having either of our top Americans play.

CillyUltra
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Mattek-Sands won't play bc of injury, King was renominated, Oudin and McHale will play singles according to German news reports

young_gunner913
Apr 13th, 2011, 11:56 AM
We're fucked.

Maddy-88
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:10 PM
We're fucked.

:lol: cant believe Vee will be watching that

Miracle Worker
Apr 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Only Oudin, Mchale and Huber will play against Germany?

Smitten
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
We're fucked.

You were fucked before Mattek-Sands withdrew. :lol:

Patrick345
Apr 13th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Too bad Vandeweghe can´t play singles. :tape:

mk27
Apr 13th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Only Oudin, Mchale and Huber will play against Germany?

And King. ;)

Miracle Worker
Apr 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Germany won't be so much better than USA :shrug:

mk27
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Germany won't be so much better than USA :shrug:

Petkovic is a top 20 player and Goerges is near the top 30, while the US team didn't have anyone in the top 80.

iGOAT
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Julia is slumping so MAYBE Christina could beat her, but Courage's matches are two automatic losses, so Christina would need to pull a Glatch '09 for us to have a chance. World group :bigwave:.

Miracle Worker
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:34 PM
That's why I said that Germany won't be so much better. But they will be...

But USA will have chance to win this. Petkovic is strong, but Julia is absolutely to overcome by Americans.

wildemu
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
tennis channel's coverage might be hilarious. I can't wait to see MJF's facial expressions over the plight of her USTA girls.

mk27
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Görges was in the QF of Charleston and it's also possible that Lisicki could play on Sunday if Görges won't play well on Saturday

And it's on red clay, clearly the weekest surface for US players

akosijepoy
Apr 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
I have a gut feel that Venus will step up and be nominated to play (doubles)

Patrick345
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I don´t see it as an easy tie at all.

America will win the Doubles with King/Huber. That is a certainty. Petkovic will beat Oudin. 1-1.

Petkovic/McHale
Goerges/McHale
Goerges/Oudin

...and if Venus drags her body out there to replace Oudin for one singles match against Goerges, Germany is suddenly the underdog imho.

Miracle Worker
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:26 PM
If Venus drags her body out there, Germany will have a big problem.

mk27
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Venus won't play, that's for sure

"Venus wird zwar kommen und das Team unterstützen. Aber sie ist nach ihrer Hüftverletzung noch nicht hundertprozentig fit und wird nicht spielen", sagte Fernandez am Mittwoch.

http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/szene/damen/Fed-Cup-US-Team-verletzungsbedingt-geschwaecht/1763273

duhcity
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:36 PM
Lord. Venus lefty might be better than Oudin right now

CillyUltra
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Petkovic/McHale
:hysteric: McHales best win on red clay in 2010 was against Vidagany...

There's a chance that Goerges will lose to Oudin and McHale if she can't cope with the Fed Cup home tie must-win pressure.

Serenita
Apr 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Venus won't play, that's for sure

http://www.tennisnet.com/deutschland/szene/damen/Fed-Cup-US-Team-verletzungsbedingt-geschwaecht/1763273
She shouldn't!