PDA

View Full Version : Venus to go to Fed Cup, playing status in doubt

Paneru
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Venus to go to Fed Cup, playing status in doubt

Reported on April 04, 2011

Venus Williams will travel to Germany with United States Fed Cup team, but is unlikely to play, a source told Tennis.com. Williams hasnít played a match since injuring her right hip at the Australian Open.

On Tuesday, U.S. Captain Mary Joe Fernandez will officially announce the team that will face Germany in a Fed Cup playoff April 16-17 on indoor clay. Teenager Christina McHale has said that she has been asked to go to Germany but is unsure as to whether she will be asked to play. Bethanie Mattek-Sands, Liezel Huber and Melanie Oudin have been part of Fernandezís core group over the past two years, but Oudin is in slump and doesnít like to play on clay. Fernandez also picked doubles standout Vania King for the U.S, team that fell to Belgium in February, so she does have some options, but Germany features a strong team that includes Miami semifinalist Andrea Petkovic, No. 35 Julia Goerges, Sabine Lisicki and Anna-Lena Groenefeld.

Venus has not played Fed Cup since 2007, but must at least show up for a tie this year in order to maintain her eligibility for the 2012 Olympics and not have appeal her status to the Olympic Committee. Ė Matthew Cronin

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/ticker.aspx?articleid=11319&zoneid=6

Paneru
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Venus' twitter: (http://twitter.com/venuseswilliams)
# Of course I can wait to get back on the court! 11:03 PM Apr 3rd via Twitter for iPhone

# Then working night and day on design presentations for eleven, plus gym everyday! 11:01 PM Apr 3rd via Twitter for iPhone

# @geneac1 I'm getting better every week! 10:58 PM Apr 3rd via Twitter for iPhone in reply to geneac1

VeeJJ
Apr 5th, 2011, 07:22 AM
What about Serena? What happens when she doesn't go. She's ineligible. I hope it stays that way because those are the rules. But she will cry injury to the Olympic Board and get a spot in 2012. Not that Venus is anymore accredited. But at least she is showing up.

KBlade
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Venus at the gym is good. Hopefully she shows up on return in better physical shape than the Australian open :scared:

Smitten
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Serena please go.

le bon vivant
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Fulfill those requirements, girl.
With her blood clots, Serena does NOT need to be on a long plane ride to Germany.
Whatever is meant to be in re: Olympics will be.

L'Enfant Sauvage
Apr 5th, 2011, 08:48 AM
If she does play, that'll be even better, but I'll take what I can get. If she just shows up, at least I'll get to see her once or twice :inlove:

QuietPlease
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I hope to see both WS back on court soon, but without them Germany is gonna win this tie!

Mistress of Evil
Apr 5th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Hope, she is on court playing in time for Wimbledon. :awww:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 5th, 2011, 10:56 AM
What about Serena? What happens when she doesn't go. She's ineligible. I hope it stays that way because those are the rules. But she will cry injury to the Olympic Board and get a spot in 2012. Not that Venus is anymore accredited. But at least she is showing up.

:lol:

ce
Apr 5th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Serena doesnt need to play Fed Cup to play Olympics :spit:

hdfb
Apr 5th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Fulfill those requirements, girl.
With her blood clots, Serena does NOT need to be on a long plane ride to Germany.
Whatever is meant to be in re: Olympics will be.

Maybe Serena needs to ask Caravane for a ride if she can't fly.

dynamoRockstarr
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:18 PM
^^^ :lol:

BartoLiNa
Apr 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Serena will get a spot in the Olympics team because she is the best player in the world. She owes nothing to the giant pile of garbage known as Fed cup. That shit was relevant when Britney was still a virgin.

Maddy-88
Apr 5th, 2011, 05:54 PM
It would be great if she does play too :)

Chakvenus
Apr 5th, 2011, 05:57 PM
I'm glad she's going to support, even if she can't play. It's a smart decision and it's a nice gesture.

Justin
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Obviously she's going solely to become eligible for the 2012 Olympics. If I was MJF, I would say, "thanks, but no thanks. I have no use for a bench warmer in Germany. So sorry that you're injured but you would have fulfilled the Olympic team eligibility requirements if you participated in any of the Fed Cup ties when you were asked to play in 2008. Or 2009. Or 2010. You didn't. As a professional athlete, you risk injury every day. Unfortunately, yours is happening now. It's unfortunate that you didn't seem to take that into account when you declined invitation after invitation since 2008."

JMO bitches. :angel:

young_gunner913
Apr 6th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Obviously she's going solely to become eligible for the 2012 Olympics. If I was MJF, I would say, "thanks, but no thanks. I have no use for a bench warmer in Germany. So sorry that you're injured but you would have fulfilled the Olympic team eligibility requirements if you participated in any of the Fed Cup ties when you were asked to play in 2008. Or 2009. Or 2010. You didn't. As a professional athlete, you risk injury every day. Unfortunately, yours is happening now. It's unfortunate that you didn't seem to take that into account when you declined invitation after invitation since 2008."

JMO bitches. :angel:

Someone's bitter.

Anywho, she's not playing.