PDA

View Full Version : Peak Wozniacki vs Peak Azarenka

thegreendestiny
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
IW and Miami are probably two of the biggest tournaments outside slams. The current champions indicate the future of the tour.

Since they they seem to be inheriting the tour this decade, we might as well discuss who will have the edge.

Discuss!

Slutiana
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
http://files.sharenator.com/Blank_Facepalm_You_are_now_aware-s387x259-68260-475.gif

AcesHigh
Well.. I don't even think they are comparable yet.

Kairi
how can this really be asked now? both arent even past 25 yet...if this is their peak, then im worried for the tour :eek: ..give em a few years to show their potential, get better etc....but IF this were considered their peek, id def go with Azarenka. :oh:

Akaniero
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Both haven't reached their peak.
Wozniacki is obviously the much better player atm though.

I'm pretty sure peak Wozniacki >>>> peak Azarenka too btw.

new-york
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:55 PM
Peak BFF. :oh:

tea
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
When you see what is the peak Wozniacki, you will withdraw this stupid question.

rockstar
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:00 PM
When you see what is the peak Wozniacki, you will withdraw this stupid question.

this :oh:

doomsday
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
What is peak Wozniacki?:lol:

atominside
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Azarenka

Patrick345
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM

Five winners a match.

Kairi
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Five winners a match.

i say 5 1/2 :oh: :haha: :haha:

Vikapower
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM
Sigh. Vika hasn't even played peak yet... this is just a little start... Federenka at peak will be a destruction machine... :oh:

thegreendestiny
Five winners a match.

How about five straight tier 1's. :o

Kairi

my question EXACTLY! :rolleyes:

madmax
Five winners a match.

instead of the usual 3 that she has? Gotcha:worship:

Kairi
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
How about five straight tier 1's. :o

how about 5 str8 ineffective opponents :oh:

Serenita
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Five winners a match.
:spit:

Patrick345
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
Sigh. Vika hasn't even played peak yet... this is just a little start... Federenka at peak will be a destruction machine... :oh:

http://epicponyz.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/l8304874453_8413.jpg

terjw
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
IW and Miami are probably two of the biggest tournaments outside slams. The current champions indicate the future of the tour.

Since they they seem to be inheriting the tour this decade, we might as well discuss who will have the edge.

Discuss!

Another peak vs peak that GM posters are obsessed with. :rolleyes:

The question asked doesn't address who is the better player or who has the edge. The classic example is Mary Pierce who at her peak was pretty well better than almost anyone else in the nineties and noughties. But how many times was she at her peak. And even when she was - how many times was she able to maintain it in a single match never mind a tournament. And although she's up at the top at her peak - she's well down the pecking order behind WS, Belgians, Hingis, Lindz, Masha, Jen, Momo in the list of who is the better player.

Danii's Law
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:22 PM
You'd hope peak Vika will be better. Woz has no peak, or is already there. She will always play like this, effective but a scrambler counter puncher rather than shot make.

BlueTrees
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
Wozniacki 6-1 6-2.

BlueTrees
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
You'd hope peak Vika will be better. Woz has no peak, or is already there. She will always play like this, effective but a scrambler counter puncher rather than shot make.

This makes no sense whatsoever. How does one's gamestyle determine whether or not they've peaked? :confused: Anyway, in case you haven't noticed, Wozniacki's aggression has been improving over time.

Kairi
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
This makes no sense whatsoever. How does one's gamestyle determine whether or not they've peaked? :confused: Anyway, in case you haven't noticed, Wozniacki's aggression has been improving over time.

yay..an increase of 2 winners every match :haha:

cellophane
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:42 PM
Peak vs Peak go H2H :inlove::inlove::inlove:

rYsY9QNGYf8

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
I don't see any relevance in the Peak vs Peak anyways. Like, isn't it more important to be closer to your peak more often and winning then just having your peak one tournament a year?

Peak Sprem or Peak Rezai would probably kill everyone.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Peak Azarenka probably can withstand an opponent catching fire better than Woz who's usually totally at the mercy of her opponent.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wozniacki is very consistent. She is usually near her peak, and that keeps going up. She had never won a Premier Mandatory or Premier 5 when Kim and Maria played the Cincy final last summer.
Since then she won all of them until Miami.

Both of them can improve and probably will.
Even though Caro is younger, she is way ahead right now, with 14 titles and just under $10 million in prizemoney, and a slam final, 2 slam SF's and YEC final

Jane Lane
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:11 PM
I don't see any relevance in the Peak vs Peak anyways. Like, isn't it more important to be closer to your peak more often and winning then just having your peak one tournament a year?

Peak Sprem or Peak Rezai would probably kill everyone.

This. Peak is overrated.

pedropt
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Excuse me, I'm not a Caro fan, but everybody who saw her match against Pennetta knows that if Wozniacki plays like that all the time and she would have a GS by this time. So yes, there is a peak Wozniacki, and it's just a matter of time until she can produce that level of tennis more often I guess. A completely different story was in her recent match against Maria in IW, in which she only needed to put the ball in to win the match, it was all about Maria's lame and messy play. :shrug:

That being said, I'd say Peak Wozniacki would probably beat Peak Azarenka something like 7-6 7-6 at the current state of their games.

scandic78
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
Revenge of the retarded thread: Part 84!

Make it stop :hysteric:

Berlin_Calling
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:01 PM
Doesn't matter who the players are. A talented ballbasher at her peak will always be > than a talented pusher at her peak. Therefore, peak Azarenka > peak Wozniacki.

Volcana
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Peak vs Peak doesn't mean much. Wozniacki plays to 90% of her ability 90% of the time. That's why she has the ranking she has. Azarenka plays to 90% of her ability .... 20% of the time? 25?

Wozniacki doesn't have a slam yet because he combination of trained skill, physical talent plus understanding of tactics and strategy, as a package, simply isn't nearly as good as the best players who are 28+ years old. But that combination, in Wozniacki, is light years ahead of her peers.

And in three years, Wozniacki will be a better tactician, better strategist, a bit stronger and virtually none of the active multi-slam winners will a factor anymore, unless Sharapova makes a change to her game she shows no sign of being interested in.

As for Azarenka, I've seen no sign that she wants to be anything but a power baseliner. And we sure haven't seen any slam finals out of her, or even a run at the #1 ranking.

Akaniero
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Peak vs Peak doesn't mean much. Wozniacki plays to 90% of her ability 90% of the time. That's why she has the ranking she has. Azarenka plays to 90% of her ability .... 20% of the time? 25?

Wozniacki doesn't have a slam yet because he combination of trained skill, physical talent plus understanding of tactics and strategy, as a package, simply isn't nearly as good as the best players who are 28+ years old. But that combination, in Wozniacki, is light years ahead of her peers.

And in three years, Wozniacki will be a better tactician, better strategist, a bit stronger and virtually none of the active multi-slam winners will a factor anymore, unless Sharapova makes a change to her game she shows no sign of being interested in.

As for Azarenka, I've seen no sign that she wants to be anything but a power baseliner. And we sure haven't seen any slam finals out of her, or even a run at the #1 ranking.
+1

Wozniacki is amazing right now, but she will get better.
In a few years she will be the dominant force on the tour, winning small tournaments, premier madatory events and the slams.
Good few years of tennis ahead of us...

Apoleb
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
Azarenka's strength lies in taking the ball so early, deflecting direction and hitting with depth and respectable pace. This works well with those who hit the ball with good pace themselves because that leaves them with little time to react. It's why she handles a subpar Serena so well.

Woazniacki's moonballs however neutralize that aspect of her game. They will force her to generate her own raw power, and she's not good at that. Most importantly, I've never seen her generate the type of acute angles that can drag Wozniacki outside the court. So Wozniacki I think is the clear favorite, unless Azarenka can learn to hit with more angles. This might change the matchup.

MB.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
Peak Wozniacki can stay peak for months. Peak Azarenka fizzles after a few matches.

le bon vivant
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
the future of tennis :lol:

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
the future of tennis :lol:No one knows the future, but Wozniacki is #1 the last 6 months. Its not wild that she is a force in the sport in her 20's.
Azarenka has a lot to prove, but at 21 she has 2 Miamis. So there might be some future there

Break My Rapture
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:42 PM
Doesn't matter who the players are. A talented ballbasher at her peak will always be > than a talented pusher at her peak. Therefore, peak Azarenka > peak Wozniacki.
Rather blatantly said but I agree.
In my opinion there is more potential in Azarenka's groundstrokes than Wozniacki's, Azarenka is much better at the net and has better feel.
Wozniacki's peak is probably where she is now. Making her opponents feel like they're playing a wall and wait till one stroke falls short to (try and) attack with her BH. But she still flops at times in trying to do this.
Both are very vulnerable to ballbashers in their best form.

Nicolás89
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM
Waiting for the usual MM tournaments theories to come out.

kman
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Both have a lot of room left for improvement and both have the potential to win slams.

Neither one of them has peaked yet I think.

Caroline is definitely ahead right now though.

AcesHigh
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:25 PM

Agreed.

Smitten
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
Azarenka's strength lies in taking the ball so early, deflecting direction and hitting with depth and respectable pace. This works well with those who hit the ball with good pace themselves because that leaves them with little time to react. It's why she handles a subpar Serena so well.

Woazniacki's moonballs however neutralize that aspect of her game. They will force her to generate her own raw power, and she's not good at that. Most importantly, I've never seen her generate the type of acute angles that can drag Wozniacki outside the court. So Wozniacki I think is the clear favorite, unless Azarenka can learn to hit with more angles. This might change the matchup.

Or Azarenka learns how to come to net effectively.

Karolina is the better player and not only that she is more together mentally. Azarenka got handled off the ground for the majority of their match in Tokyo or Beijing(whichever one it was).

LightWarrior
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:37 PM

Exactly we don't even know what peak Azarenka is yet. But we already know what peak Woz is.

Miracle Worker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Peak Radwanska will beat both of them :spit:

AcesHigh
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:14 PM
Exactly we don't even know what peak Azarenka is yet. But we already know what peak Woz is.

And you know this because you're a fortune teller, right? :lol:

goat
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:21 PM
For once I am actually excited about the prospects of Wozniacki. I can imagine her in five years.. delicious.

As for Azarenka I think we all know she has the greatest potential.

thegreendestiny
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:16 AM
This is a good time to bump this thread. Caro and Vika seem to be raking all the tournaments in the past 6 weeks.

VeeJJ
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
This is a good time to bump this thread. Caro and Vika seem to be raking all the tournaments in the past 6 weeks.

WTF DOES THATS MEAN???? Just because they are currently in good form does not mean they are at their peak.

THEIR PEAK DOES NOT EXIST YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

How much more clear does that have to be for you to get that? We will not be able to judge their "peaks" until their career is totally over and we can reflect on it as a whole. I really do not understand what you don't get. :facepalm:

thegreendestiny
Apr 11th, 2011, 07:32 AM
:lol:

Relax. Btw, they said the same thing about Hingis in 1999 and yeah, you know what happened next.

MB.
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
They're both what, 15 years old? Let's wait until they're nearing 30 before discussing their "peak" form.

Cakeisgood
Apr 11th, 2011, 08:15 AM
:lol:

Relax. Btw, they said the same thing about Hingis in 1999 and yeah, you know what happened next.

You're actually such a troll. Go away.