PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova has officially become a Russian!

thegreendestiny
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
For years, she was not really part of the Russian Armada. Now she has proven to be a full-fledged member.

Here are the proof:
o Heavy hitting baseliner (check)
o Tall (check)
o Good ground strokes (check)
o One-dimensional (check)
o double faulting (big check)
o choker (check - e.g.Cincinnati finals)
o most importantly: constant BRIDESMAID (BIG check!) :worship:

Welcome Masha! :bounce:

She now joins the ranks of Dementieva, Myskina, Kuznetsova, Safina and Zvonareva! :worship:

In The Zone
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:04 AM
Lame. Sharapova doesn't choke. I hate how everyone on this board associates choking with having a big lead and losing. Sharapova didn't choke the Cincinnati final.

Ralph214
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:05 AM
Zvonareva is not even tall :lol:

Pops Maellard
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:06 AM
She doesn't really have doublefaultitis either. :scratch:

BlueTrees
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
How is she a constant bridesmaid? She's won 3 out of 4 Grand Slam finals. :shrug:

Shivank17
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:28 AM
Sharapova has started choking for sure. :sobbing:
Sharapova starting to choke is like Sharapova saying, "I am a Russian after all. :cool: " :hysteric: :help:

Shivank17
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:30 AM
How is she a constant bridesmaid? She's won 3 out of 4 Grand Slam finals. :shrug:

But has lost four finals in a row now. :sobbing: :hysteric:

Birmingham[Lost to Li Na]
Stanford[Lost to Azarenka]
Cincinnati[Choked against Kim :sobbing: ]
Miami[Lost to Azarenka again. :o ]

Serenita
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:32 AM
She also lost 3 finals in a row. :lol:

thegreendestiny
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:36 AM

Make that 4. :tape:

DS.Fan.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:42 AM

:sad::sad::help:

Mistress of Evil
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
:rolleyes:

Serenita
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM
Make that 4. :tape:
Oh hell i gave her to much credit. :lol:

BlueTrees
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM

Her career finals record is 22-12. :wavey:

Venus has lost 5 of her last 7 finals so I guess she's a bridesmaid too? :confused:

Pops Maellard
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:54 AM

Aye, but Sanford, Cincy and Miami are pretty good tournaments, so at least Martha is peaking for the right events (minus the slams).

Serenita
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Her career finals record is 22-12. :wavey:

Venus has lost 5 of her last 7 finals so I guess she's a bridesmaid too? :confused:
Who's talking about Venus here? :lol:
But if you really wan't to go down that road, i'll put Venus resume against Pova's anyday. Hell even Clijters has surpass your bridesmaid extraordinaire.:D

Shivank17
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:04 AM
Aye, but Sanford, Cincy and Miami are pretty good tournaments, so at least Martha is peaking for the right events (minus the slams).

Agreed.
If we see ,Sharapova is making the finals of a bigger tournament then the previous one-

Birmingham-International
Stanford-Premier
Cincinnati-Premier 5
Miami-Premier Mandatory.
Now anything that's bigger than that is a Grandslam :bounce:
So maybe
Wimbledon/USO or French Open[ :p] next! :drool: :cool:

BlueTrees
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM
Who's talking about Venus here? :lol:

Honey, if you don't understand what a comparison is, then too bad for you. :awww:

But if you really wan't to go down that road, i'll put Venus resume against Pova's anyday. Hell even Clijters has surpass your bridesmaid extraordinaire.:D

Better being a bridesmaid extraordinaire than a Grand Slam quarterfinal sucker extraordinaire. :awww: Call me once Azarenka manages to reach a Slam final or get to number one. :wavey:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hmmmm...yesterday's performance is even more problematic..because she was facing an opponent who was doing her best to give the match back to Maria. Usually back in the days, Maria would take a match like this..but instead this time, she faltered.

serenafan08
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
The biggest sign: she's turning into a headcase. That's the most common trait of the Russian players. They are all fragile in the mind, and Maria is starting to crack more often than usual. The first step in getting to the top is believing that you belong there. If you don't see yourself winning, you never will.

debby
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Hmmmm...yesterday's performance is even more problematic..because she was facing an opponent who was doing her best to give the match back to Maria. Usually back in the days, Maria would take a match like this..but instead this time, she faltered.

This.

The biggest sign: she's turning into a headcase. That's the most common trait of the Russian players. They are all fragile in the mind, and Maria is starting to crack more often than usual. The first step in getting to the top is believing that you belong there. If you don't see yourself winning, you never will.

Step.

That's not that she lost 4 finals in a row or something, but how many three-setters matchs did she play since she came back after winning the first set ?
And the way she struggles to close it out.... nowadays, even a non fan of Pova (me :hysteric: ) can sense when she is going to double fault, especially when she is up matchpoints.

Alice
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:06 PM

:sad:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Ever since '05 Oz open SF, her mental game got a shakedown..it used to being exposed only against the elite ( Serena, Juju)..but nowadays even against an Azarenka, Maria can get shaky mentally.

stevos
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:00 PM
Ugh, everyone should really just shutup. She's clearly still on her way back, why is Sharapova always subject to the most doomsday-like prediction about her career? She made the finals of this tournament (a good feat for her lately, and anytime) and then played a great player in the final. Isn't Kim a bigger "headcase" for losing to Vika in straights two rounds earlier? Of course not. And I don't know if you guys were watching that final, but Maria definitely didn't choke. She never even had a lead.
Stats are only valuable to a point.

doomsday
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Ugh, everyone should really just shutup. She's clearly still on her way back, why is Sharapova always subject to the most doomsday-like prediction about her career? She made the finals of this tournament (a good feat for her lately, and anytime) and then played a great player in the final. Isn't Kim a bigger "headcase" for losing to Vika in straights two rounds earlier? Of course not. And I don't know if you guys were watching that final, but Maria definitely didn't choke. She never even had a lead.

Couldn't agree more. Azarenka was really good in the latter stages Maria would have beaten plenty of players in that final but not Azarneka who had a major confidence after beating Kim and Zvo.

Craig.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:13 PM

This. Why doesn't anyone talk about the number 3 player in the world getting bagelled and winning three games against Azarenka? :tape:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:19 PM

:secret: '11 oz open.

Serenita
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
This. Why doesn't anyone talk about the number 3 player in the world getting bagelled and winning three games against Azarenka? :tape:
Because she won 2 GS in the last 6 months. And when she does reach a final she wins it! :angel:

young_gunner913
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Because she won 2 GS in the last 6 months. And when she does reach a final she wins it! :angel:

The number 3 is Zvonareva not Kim. And kim has lost 2/3 finals she's been in this year. :secret:

Craig.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:43 PM

Zvonareva? :unsure:

And that's my point, since she's been so successful in the last year, shouldn't that type of a scoreline be even more noteworthy?

I'm just saying when it's Maria, it's all doom and gloom, but when it happens to players with higher standards (these days), no one gives a fuck. It's kinda annoying.

young_gunner913
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM

And that's my point, since she's been so successful in the last year, shouldn't that type of a scoreline be even more noteworthy?

I'm just saying when it's Maria, it's all doom and gloom, but when it happens to players with higher standards (these days), no one gives a fuck. It's kinda annoying.

Probably because people hold Maria to a higher standard than they do to some of these other girls who, realistically, wouldn't have been a top 5/10 player some years ago.

Serenita
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM

Probably because people hold Maria to a higher standard than they do to some of these other girls who, realistically, wouldn't have been a top 5/10 player some years ago.
My bad i was talking about Kim, point is Pova has been to 4 finals and lost them all. She's indeed held to a higher standard then Bepa, she's a multi slam winner.

Vikapower
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
Sigh. Could f-cking people take a break with Maria !!? Hopefully Pushniacki comes back in action in a couple days !! Some people are just too bored.

Sp!ffy
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ew. America will always be an American...:rolleyes:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM

Masha's 3 plus years and counting...and so her ability to bounce back is iffy.