PDA

View Full Version : What is the fifth best tournament of the world ? after the slams of course

debby
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:50 AM
Miami ? :confused:

In bold : the one who have never won a Slam (yet).

Current champion : Victoria Azarenka
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/d3/fullj.769f5fa0ee0421fd2f8b756c3b4fcb6f/ap-6f3ac38f821141b2a8747fb27dfe1400.jpg

Graf x5
Serena x5
Venus x3
Seles x2
A. Sanchez x2
Clijsters x2
Hingis x2
Azarenka x2
Navratilova
Evert
Sabatini
Kuznetsova

Year-End Championships? :confused:

for bolded parts, see above.

Current champion : Kim Clijsters
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/49726000/jpg/_49726851_clij_reuters282.jpg

Navratilova x8 :worship:
Graf x5
Evert x4
Seles x3
Clijsters x3
Henin x2
Serena x2
Hingis x2
Goolagong x2
Sharapova
Mauresmo
Venus
Austin
Sabatini
Hanika :tape:
Davenport
Novotna

:confused: Thoughts ?

I would pick YEC at the most important tournament after the Slams really... but that's just me....

delicatecutter
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:56 AM
New Haven

Wozniacki X 3

MB.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:17 AM
We've been over this a hundred times.

Marbella!

дalex
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:26 AM

Marbella!

Right on. (http://gototennis.com/wp-content/uploads/jelena_jankovic_marbella_champion.jpg)

Bonfire
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:30 AM
YEC
I don't know if it's necessarily the 5th best but it's the 5th most important tournament of the year

Mary Cherry.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
:lol: Max has a point - if I were a player I'd prefer to win a gold medal rather than IW/Miami/YEC, just because the opportunity only comes once every four years so that would make it a little extra special :)

Throwing a curveball here, but I bet the Fed Cup is more important than Miami/YEC to some players

cellophane
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:49 AM
YEC. You have to win multiple matches over top players. Then Miami.

miffedmax
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:53 AM
http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/82387394.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548310F9963E29AAD91 D427698F24A4A4C79DD143D36FFBF7A1E30A760B0D811297

She has spoken.

Patrick345
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Olympics, YEC and Bad Gastein.

Smitten
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:05 AM
Fés

Julian.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:09 AM
Bali!

PMBH
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:16 AM
YEC
I don't know if it's necessarily the 5th best but it's the 5th most important tournament of the year

If you made this survey among the players, I'm convinced that 9 out of 10 would prefer to win a gold medal at the Olympics rather than winning Miami, YEC, or any other non-slam. I even read somewhere that Sharapova puts a gold medal in London next year above winning another slam. But I don't have a source for that statement.

young_gunner913
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM
If you made this survey among the players, I'm convinced that 9 out of 10 would prefer to win a gold medal at the Olympics rather than winning Miami, YEC, or any other non-slam. I even read somewhere that Sharapova puts a gold medal in London next year above winning another slam. But I don't have a source for that statement.

Then why make that statement in the first place?

PMBH
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:34 AM
Then why make that statement in the first place?

OK, I found the source. What she actually says is that winning the Olympics and the French Open are the two biggest targets for her at this stage in her career.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/22032011/58/sharapova-eyes-olympic-glory.html

hingisGOAT
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Indian f'in Wells was better than Miami this year -- enough said.

Bonfire
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
If you made this survey among the players, I'm convinced that 9 out of 10 would prefer to win a gold medal at the Olympics rather than winning Miami, YEC, or any other non-slam. I even read somewhere that Sharapova puts a gold medal in London next year above winning another slam. But I don't have a source for that statement.l

I would also rather win a gold medal than the YEC or Miami. But it seems odd to vote for a tournament that only happens once every four years and would be important even if tennis did not exist within it. So I went with YEC which should be considered the 5th slam above the rest of the annual tournaments (i.e.Miami, IW, etc.)

Temperenka
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:22 AM
It's hard to compare the slams to the YEC.

The YEC is probably the 5th most prestigious, but the format makes it impossible to compare.

Miami is easily the '5th slam.'

Henpova
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
Olympic Gold(only comes around once every 4 years and is the greatest sporting event ever) YEC(you have to play nothing but the top girls in the world) then others

My problem with Miami is that IW and Miami is 4 weeks of tennis....that is why you don't see to many people who make the Simi's or later at IW make it late at MIami (go Maria)....Most of the time the winner of Miami lost early at IW...

Curtos07
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Indian Wells has always been the 5th slam to me. Better tournament overall.

wally1
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:38 AM
Not the 5th "best" maybe, but my favourite is WTA Birmingham. Seems they're getting a new main court there as well:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-12858645

new-york
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:44 AM
For the WTA it's obv the YEC.
Experts would prolly say it's Miami.
The players would prolly say the Olympics are special.

Slams. :worship:

danieln1
Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
Bali and Linz

Sombrerero loco
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
madrid for sure!!

Pump-it-UP
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Usually Miami. Pre-2007 it was the only mandatory non-slam event, and it's the only non-slam that can get Serena/Venus/Kim to show up motivated when they're healthy. But without them it's on the same level as IW in terms of prestige nowadays thanks to the Roadmap. :shrug:

The YEC used to be close but now it's turned into a shitfest. For the past 4+ years we're fortunate if we can get more than 1 person who isn't injured/exhausted/unmotivated. :tape:

Gawain
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Luxembourg.

hingis-seles
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:05 AM
The YEC for sure. In the greats debates, the YEC comes out as a tiebreaker well before Olympic medals and Miami or some other Tour event.

klever58
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:18 AM
IW is the 5th Slam.

claypova
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:20 AM

Marbella!

IKR :worship:

ivanban
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Marbella :shrug:

Even Ree felt she has to go there :oh:

Steadyniacki
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Olympic Gold without a doubt.

EDIT: i forgot about marbella.

Serena_Williams_
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
i wouldn't include the olympics cuz they are held every 4 years and slams are happening evry year 4 times actually
it's not the yec cuz there are only 8 players unlike the GS draws and other touraments and the format of playing makes it imposiblr to compare too
so id say its Miami

DragonFlame
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
Slams>Olympic Gold>YEC>miami/indian wells

Miracle Worker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
We all know that 5th slam is Marbella :rolleyes:

Miss Amor
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:55 AM
You can get destroyed in a match or two and still win the YEC (Like CLijsters last year :lol:), so I find it hard to call such a 'winner' a champion.

Regarding Olympics, players have skipped it to prepare for other tournaments on numerous occasions (Roddick in 2008 is the most recent example, before that barely half of the top 10 players even participated in the Olympics)

terjw
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:31 AM
:lol: Max has a point - if I were a player I'd prefer to win a gold medal rather than IW/Miami/YEC, just because the opportunity only comes once every four years so that would make it a little extra special :)

Throwing a curveball here, but I bet the Fed Cup is more important than Miami/YEC to some players

Kim's priorities this year are Slams and Fed Cup.

YEC is definitelly the biggest after the slams. First you have to earn it to play there. Only 8 players get in. So then all your matches are against the top 8 players. The WTA certainly regards it as the biggest from the ranking points.

Olympics is a one off every every 4 years and very special to the players nowadays in those particular years. I don't think it meant much 10 years ago. Nowadays - I think pretty well all the top players would say that means the most to them and some may even put it higher than a slam.

die_wahrheit
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
YEC and Olympics.

Miami has no special meaning. It's already a smaller tournament than indian wells. And has less history than Rome.
And it is in a second class city unlike Rome or Montreal or... etc.

Shafanovic.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:49 AM
Strassbourg :smash: duh.

BlueTrees
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:51 AM
Bogota Garros. :oh:

madmax
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:58 AM
Pushniacki Invitational no doubt - this way our Numero Uno can win her "slam" and put those doubters of hers into their place:bowdown:

Onjanae.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:12 PM
Miami was for a long time considered the fifth biggest tournament/ Biggest tournament behind the slams. Certainly back when it was the Nasdaq-100.

According to Monica seles
In mid-March [1990] I went to play the Lipton Championship in Key Biscayne, Florida. Lipton is the fifth biggest tournament in the world.
http://tennis.quickfound.net/history/monica_seles.html

ESPN
including a title at the Nasdaq-100, the biggest tournament of the year outside of the Grand Slam events.
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french06/news/story?page=06frenchnotebook11

World Tennis Mag
The Sony Ericsson Open in Key Biscayne, Fla., is the biggest, most prestigious tennis tournament in the United States next to the US Open
http://www.worldtennismagazine.com/archives/4238

I'm sure Henin described it as the fifth biggest tournament too explaining why she chose it for her return in 2005.

=

I don't know why people lump Indian Wells with Miami, when the latter is more prestigious - or at least used to be considered so.
YEC isn't really a proper/regular tournament is it? Only 8 players eligible, lose and still advance? Olympics only come round once in 4 years. YEC and Olympics are more prestigious, but the slam like arrangement of Miami has helped given it the reputation of being the fifth biggest tournament.

Patrick345
Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Slams>Olympic Gold>YEC>miami/indian wells

Yeah it´s not rocket science, but if Serena had not won Miami five times we wouldn´t have this discussion anyway.

LoLex
Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:37 PM
YEC and then Marbella :o

Onjanae.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah it´s not rocket science, but if Serena had not won Miami five times we wouldn´t have this discussion anyway.

Miami was considered a big deal before Serena won there. It's one of the oldest tournaments on the professional tour.

Burisleif
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:37 PM
Slams,
olympics, and Fed cup. (but these are national team events)
Then we have the YEC,

Rome (Internazionali BNL d'Italia/Italian Open) is historically very important even if less valuable points wise now,
Many other tourneys have long histories, Canadian open, Cincinnati, etc.

Miami is so 1980's and not even the primary US event. $$$ < History

brickhousesupporter
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
Contrary to popular belief, WS fans did not invent the Miami as the fifth grandslam moniker. It was always called that, as far back as I can remember. It is just that some people want to rewrite history and to suit their own agendas. :wavey:

If you have a problem with the title, don't blame the WS fans, blame the tennis establishment.

Burisleif
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
It was the event organisers that with their cash marketed it that way...

young_gunner913
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Contrary to popular belief, WS fans did not invent the Miami as the fifth grandslam moniker. It was always called that, as far back as I can remember. It is just that some people want to rewrite history and to suit their own agendas. :wavey:

If you have a problem with the title, don't blame the WS fans, blame the tennis establishment.

Must spread rep. :o

terjw
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM

The tournament liked to claim that it was the fifth grand slam. :lol::lol: It was never accepted as anything remotely like a grand slam and never will be.

Onjanae.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:54 PM
The tournament liked to claim that. :lol::lol: It was neveer accepted as anything remotely like a grand slam and never will be.

It was widely considered as the biggest tournament outside of slams (and YEC). Not only evidenced by the quotes I posted in my first post, but I vividly remember the prestige of the Nasdaq-100 tournament. It had a buzz that you couldn't get with other tournaments. Not just subjective feeling, but media reporting. It was regarded as something big to have on your resume. Maybe not so now, but up to 2006 or so, it did.

terjw
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:05 PM
It was widely considered as the biggest tournament outside of slams (and YEC). Not only evidenced by the quotes I posted in my first post, but I vividly remember the prestige of the Nasdaq-100 tournament. It had a buzz that you couldn't get with other tournaments. Not just subjective feeling, but media reporting. It was regarded as something big to have on your resume. Maybe not so now, but up to 2006 or so, it did.

Yes - it's widely regarded as the most prestigious after the slams and the YEC. But it is often talked about in the same breath as IW. It has the same field and format - the same ranking points. And doing the double (IW & Miami) is talked about as a big achievement.

There is a huge difference between Miami and the slams and it has pretty well given up trying to pretend it is the fifth slam it was so laughable. It has much more in common with IW (lousy TV coverage being one of them). There is a only a tiny difference in prestige between Miami and IW.

Perhaps it should consider how to get TV coverage up to even half as good as at slam before bragging about being the fifth slam. (non-existant TV coverage in the 1st week, non-existent coverage of the Kim vs Vika match )

young_gunner913
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Yes - it's widely regarded as the most prestigious after the slams and the YEC. But it is often talked about in the same breath as IW. It has the same field and format - the same ranking points. And doing the double (IW & Miami) is talked about as a big achievement.

There is a huge difference between Miami and the slams and it has pretty well given up trying to pretend it is the fifth slam it was so laughable. It has much more in common with IW (lousy TV coverage being one of them). There is a only a tiny difference in prestige between Miami and IW.

Perhaps it should consider how to get TV coverage up to even half as good as at slam before bragging about being the fifth slam. (non-existant TV coverage in the 1st week, non-existent coverage of the Kim vs Vika match )

That match was played on TV...

terjw
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
That match was played on TV...

Not here and there was no live stream.

Miss Amor
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
There was no live stream.

There were several livestreams.

Onjanae.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 03:45 PM

I'm not sure you read my posts carefully because I have consistently stated it 'WAS'. And I thought you were on the same page since you used a past-term reference when responding to brickhousesupporter.

Maybe NOW Indian Wells and Miami have become clustered together but the Miami event began and for a long time was a mildly lesser slam by intent. The Prize money started out rivalling the slams and it was a mixed event (with a mixed tournament), very unlike Indian Wells which started out as a separate event and didn't actually have a women's event to begin with. Miami was intended to be a level above other regular tour events, and this intent added to it's prestige, something it carried well for a long time.

Only relatively recently did Indian Wells start being mentioned in the same breath as Miami. And even though the formats are the same today, the orignal intent of Miami for a long time gave it greater prestige as evidenced by my first post. Maybe today it's watered down to Indian Wells level, but for many it remains a special tournament.

Maybe it's like Wimbledon and the other slams. At one time Wimbledon was the IT tournament, the Mecca of tennis the big special prize. Maybe today most people feel all slams are equal but for someone Wimbledon holds a special place.

terjw
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
Maybe NOW Indian Wells and Miami have become clustered together but the Miami event began and for a long time was a mildly lesser slam by intent. The Prize money started out rivalling the slams and it was a mixed event (with a mixed tournament), very unlike Indian Wells which started out as a separate event and didn't actually have a women's event to begin with. Miami was intended to be a level above other regular tour events, and this intent added to it's prestige, something it carried well for a long time.

By intent is the key word. Yeah sure they wanted to be called that :lol: and they tried. But that idea NEVER caught on.

The only other thing is that since I followed the tour from 2003 as opposed to just Wimbledon, other slams if televised and Fed Cup - IW and Miami have been talked about in the same breath. So it's not just been very recently. It goes back longer. And the point of this thread is now - not a long time ago when for example they didn't even play tthe Olympics (one of the poll options).

Having said that - I think we more or less agree. And Miami still does have the edge over IW slightly.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
By intent is the key word. Yeah sure they wanted to be called that :lol: and they tried. But that idea NEVER caught on.

The only other thing is that since I followed the tour from 2003 as opposed to just Wimbledon, other slams if televised and Fed Cup - IW and Miami have been talked about in the same breath. So it's not just been very recently. It goes back longer. And the point of this thread is now - not a long time ago when for example they didn't even play tthe Olympics (one of the poll options).

Having said that - I think we more or less agree.
How could you determine the idea never caught on. Players would skip Indian Wells to be fresh for Miami. Player always considered Miami to be the bigger tournament. BTW Miami, is alway voted tournament of the year by the players. Go look it up. Just because you stamp a label on it now does not change the history and respect the player had for the tournament. Also remember, Indian Wells had a smaller draw format. It was never as big as Miami. It only recently took on a bigger status.

Onjanae.
Apr 3rd, 2011, 04:31 PM

Having said that - I think we more or less agree. And Miami still does have the edge over IW slightly.

Well I said 'relatively recently' not 'very recently'. Miami was a big deal from it's inception in the 80s, big names turned up from day one. Indian wells took longer, was then and since then skipped by elite women players on numerous occassions. Aside from the WS, Henin announcing early in the year that she'd return to the tour in Miami because it was the biggest event outside of the slam (and I'm sure she said like the 'Fifth slam' - because that was when I first heard the term). She could have been back for Indian wells but chose to skip it. Essentially the idea of Miami being special, not only caught on it was a reality.

Anyway, I know the point of this thread is about present day when Indian Wells and Miami might be considered a twin package deal, but what motivated me in the first place were posters such as Patrick.. running their mouths about how Miami is only a big deal because Serena won it 5 / Williams fans. That's toilet worthy garbage, Miami/ Key Biscane / Lipton / Sony Ericsson Open / Nasdaq-100 or which ever name you wish to refer to it, was a huge deal for a long time before the WS came along. Definitely a leave above other non slam events.

Sammo
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Olympics, then YEC, then Indian Wells, then Miami.

Ferg
Apr 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Memphis and Strasbourg.

Olórin
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
The YEC obviously.

Although it wasn't always this way, the four slams are far and away the most important tournaments.

QuietPlease
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM
I'd say:

Slam (Wimbledon :worship:)

Olympic Gold
YEC

Premier Mandatory (Key Biscayne/IW :yeah:)
Premier 5 (Rome/Rogers Cup :lick:)

Premier (Moscow/Stuttgart :))
TOC (Bali)
International

Feyd
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
All of them pale in comparison to Wozniacki Open.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I would want an Olympic Gold medal, over any non slam trophy.
In money terms, that interest me, the YEC pays the most by far.
I see all Premier Mandatories as equal. Nothing special about Miami, except some of the players who go far at IW are a little worn out.

hurricanejeanne
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Olympics followed by YEC followed by Miami. Miami is the 5th best regular tournament on the calendar though. End.

nevetssllim
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
These days it has to be the Olympic Games.

BartoLiNa
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Olympics > YEC > > > > > > > > > > > Miami.

Miami is no more or less special than any other premier mandatory.

Betten
Apr 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
If I were a player I'd pick, in this order,

(1) an Olympic gold medal
(2) a YEC title
(3) whatever title offers the biggest cheque

Halepsova
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
The players don't give much damn to YEC. They love to pull out during the tournament. So I'd say Miami.

Drake1980
Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Indian Wells for sure!

toxina90
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
Marbella :shrug:

Even Ree felt she has to go there :oh:

Definitely Marbella :oh:

AcesHigh
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:23 PM
The players don't give much damn to YEC. They love to pull out during the tournament. So I'd say Miami.

Um...no they don't. Plus the paycheck is pretty damn good.

Miracle Worker
Apr 3rd, 2011, 10:33 PM
If I were a player I'd pick, in this order,

(1) an Olympic gold medal
(2) a YEC title
(3) whatever title offers the biggest cheque

And always you would say :"It's honor for me to play here. You're the best audience ever"

Matt01
Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:52 PM
How could you determine the idea never caught on. Players would skip Indian Wells to be fresh for Miami. Player always considered Miami to be the bigger tournament. BTW Miami, is alway voted tournament of the year by the players. Go look it up.

What you are posting is simply not true :shrug:

In some years, like in 2004, top players would skip Miami to play IW.

And here are tournaments of the years as voted by the WTA players (before ROADMAP):

2008 Stuttgart
2007 Stuttgart
2006 Indian Wells
2005 Indian Wells
2004 Key Biscayne
2003 Moscow
2002 Dubai
2001 Dubai
2000 Montréal
1999 Toronto
1998 Montréal
1997 Indian Wells
1996 San Diego
1995 Key Biscayne

Maybe it's just me but I'm reading IW more often than Miami.

All of them pale in comparison to Wozniacki Open.

Finally someone who got it right.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 4th, 2011, 12:39 AM
What you are posting is simply not true :shrug:

In some years, like in 2004, top players would skip Miami to play IW.

And here are tournaments of the years as voted by the WTA players (before ROADMAP):

2008 Stuttgart
2007 Stuttgart
2006 Indian Wells
2005 Indian Wells
2004 Key Biscayne
2003 Moscow
2002 Dubai
2001 Dubai
2000 Montréal
1999 Toronto
1998 Montréal
1997 Indian Wells
1996 San Diego
1995 Key Biscayne

Maybe it's just me but I'm reading IW more often than Miami.

Finally someone who got it right.
http://www.sonyericssonopen.com/About/Tournament-Fact-Sheet.aspx
The Sony Ericsson Open, considered one of the most prestigious titles in professional tennis, has been awarded "Tournament of the Year" by the ATP in eight of the last 10 years. In 2004 the event was also named "Tournament of the Year" by the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

Matt01
Apr 4th, 2011, 12:50 AM
The Sony Ericsson Open, considered one of the most prestigious titles in professional tennis, has been awarded "Tournament of the Year" by the ATP in eight of the last 10 years. In 2004 the event was also named "Tournament of the Year" by the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

You are in the wrong forum then. This is TF and not MTF. On MTF your arguments may be relevant.

brickhousesupporter
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:04 AM
You are in the wrong forum then. This is TF and not MTF. On MTF your arguments may be relevant.
Last time I checked.....men were players too. You don't get to decide what is relevant. How about you just ignore my post. Anytime you get the urge to respond, for both our sakes don't do it. I don't know if you looking for a friend or something but it ain't happening. :wavey:

Smitten
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:08 AM

:bigcry: :bigcry:

Matt01
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Last time I checked.....men were players too. You don't get to decide what is relevant. How about you just ignore my post. Anytime you get the urge to respond, for both our sakes don't do it. I don't know if you looking for a friend or something but it ain't happening. :wavey:

Don't be so bitter just because you got proven wrong by me. And no, I don't decide what is relevant, the forum does and last time I checked the forum was about women's tennis and not about the ATP :lol:

brickhousesupporter
Apr 4th, 2011, 01:24 AM
:bigcry: :bigcry:
It is hilarious isn't it?

gc-spurs
Apr 4th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Memphis and Strasbourg.

This. Who cares about the Miami/IW double when you have this in your repertoire!

Vlover
Apr 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM

The Sony Ericsson Open, considered one of the most prestigious titles in professional tennis,
Way to burst the bubble especially of those pushing IW. Remember those who claim IW still has "prestige" because they have the top men, now the opinion of the men doesn't matter. I guess too some Miami and Wimbledon have conveniently lost their prestige because the Sisters have won most of those titles.:facepalm:

tea
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I am not very getting why someone wants to put in our heads that this Miami is somewhat special.

When I don't undestand something I usually go to wtatour.com, and here's what I see:
Mutua Madrid Open is of the same type and has the same prize money. Has lesser draw, significant advantage; means that for the same money you have to play less; kinda more elite tourney a-la YEC that is only for 8.

In all, Miami is not even the best Premier event. Ordinary tourney, there are loads of such.

sammy01
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM
seen as portoroz is no more, bronx $100k obviously :worship:

DefyingGravity
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Having seen a Grand Slam in person before (Roland Garros) and seen Miami in person, there's almost the same kind of air and electricity like a Grand Slam there, in my opinion. The day/night session, the fact that there's technically 4-5 show courts (2 of which don't have cameras, if I recall correctly), the grounds are massive, it's in a cultural center. I sure do feel as though it's one of the biggest tournaments period.

If I had to do a sort of "Make these 4 top tournaments 4 Grand Slam events," I would certainly put:

Miami
Rome
Canada
Beijing

as the next biggest tournaments after the Slams, with the YEC being a special case. In my opinion, the YEC is a reward for performing well in the biggest stages. When it was held in MSG, it certainly had more flair and importance to it, but honestly it's lost its luster getting thrown into Doha and Istanbul. Even having it in LA made it feel pretty good, and the crowds eventually built up.

For me, if not everyone has the opportunity to play in this tournament, qualifying or otherwise (barring obvious ranking cut-off rules) that could really play in it, then it's not exactly the best tournament in the world. Also, the quality can get pretty darn dry at the YEC.

The Olympics are, again, another special extra-curricular activity. Once every 4 years, and you get to take a part in something greater than your own sport, and it really can be special to those who make it feel special (Venus, Justine, Elena could all attest that it was something great to be a part of).

Indian Wells COULD be on par with Miami, and sometimes it really is, but the amount of freak losses and random champions (Hantuchova x2) that could also happen there, as well as the fact that some of the female players have skipped the tournament before in preparation for Miami (Belgians in particular). You always have some random ass champions (ask Roland Garros about that one), but I feel as though the incentive to retire and skip in preparation for Miami somewhat tarnishes its credibility.

young_gunner913
Apr 4th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Having seen a Grand Slam in person before (Roland Garros) and seen Miami in person, there's almost the same kind of air and electricity like a Grand Slam there, in my opinion. The day/night session, the fact that there's technically 4-5 show courts (2 of which don't have cameras, if I recall correctly), the grounds are massive, it's in a cultural center. I sure do feel as though it's one of the biggest tournaments period.

If I had to do a sort of "Make these 4 top tournaments 4 Grand Slam events," I would certainly put:

Miami
Rome
Canada
Beijing

as the next biggest tournaments after the Slams, with the YEC being a special case. In my opinion, the YEC is a reward for performing well in the biggest stages. When it was held in MSG, it certainly had more flair and importance to it, but honestly it's lost its luster getting thrown into Doha and Istanbul. Even having it in LA made it feel pretty good, and the crowds eventually built up.

For me, if not everyone has the opportunity to play in this tournament, qualifying or otherwise (barring obvious ranking cut-off rules) that could really play in it, then it's not exactly the best tournament in the world. Also, the quality can get pretty darn dry at the YEC.

The Olympics are, again, another special extra-curricular activity. Once every 4 years, and you get to take a part in something greater than your own sport, and it really can be special to those who make it feel special (Venus, Justine, Elena could all attest that it was something great to be a part of).

Indian Wells COULD be on par with Miami, and sometimes it really is, but the amount of freak losses and random champions (Hantuchova x2) that could also happen there, as well as the fact that some of the female players have skipped the tournament before in preparation for Miami (Belgians in particular). You always have some random ass champions (ask Roland Garros about that one), but I feel as though the incentive to retire and skip in preparation for Miami somewhat tarnishes its credibility.

Couldn't agree more.