PDA

View Full Version : Let's face it: This is Kim's regular form!

Navratil
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:50 AM
Whenever I watched a match of Kim Clijsters during the last year, commentators kept saying "This is not like Kim today", "She's not at her best", "Kim is not in great shape today, she can do so much better"...

But can she?

Let's face it: Most of the time Kim is doing a lot of unforeced errors and winning matches because she's a fighter and mentally and physicly strong.

Don't get me wrong: She's the best player on the tour right now - no doubt about it.

But that's the problem: Her game is not that great as everybody wants it to be. She's not better than before her comeback.

It's just that there is absolutly no competition since the Williams-sisters & Henin are gone.

I can only hope that former top players like Sharapova, Ivanovic & Co find her form and Kim stays healthy to keep this level.

2011:
Final Sydney (not convincing)
Won Australian-Open (but in bad shape - appart from the semi-final vs Zvonareva, which was ok)
Final Paris (not convincing at all)
Indian Wells (horrible)
Miami (horrible as well)

Also when she won the Tour Championships and the US Open last year, she was not totally convincing. Had some really poor matches.
But still was unbeaten from mid August on.

:help:

edificio
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:01 AM
It definitely is her form for this year.

Bonfire
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:12 AM
NO
You underrate Kim
You forget that she beat every player that you say she is only winning now because they are not competing (Serena, Venus, Henin) all before and after her retirement. She was impressive in her last two slam finals and your post doesn't make much sense:shrug:

VeeJJ
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:19 AM
I think this whole forum is just bored of their fucking asses with the WTA nowa days, which result in threads like this. Threads about fucking nothing.

Beny
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:19 AM
I also think people underrate Kim a lot. The thing that she doesnt care/doesnt give a sh.t doesnt mean she can not play tennis.

I think the match against Azarenka was high quality - had high quality points. A lot of points were so good that it´s just uncomparable with other Miami matches (Petkovic-Wozniacki,Jankovic. Sharapova-Dulgheru, Zvonareva-Radwanska)

Kim makes a lot of errors, but she still puts so much pressure on opponents and hits many winners. Her attitude is the worst I´ve seen from her, the least passionate, but her strokes are still so good. She plays as good as before

Beny
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM
I think this whole forum is just bored of their fucking asses with the WTA nowa days, which result in threads like this. Threads about fucking nothing.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=431832

you can say that again
:o

ViceUltramontain
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:08 AM
Bullshit, she played well against Safina and Zvonareva in Melbourne, she was good againsr Li.
She played great against Kanepi in Paris (she was not bad against Dokic).

In IW and Miami, she was just tired and injured.

rimon
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM
I agree that she has been unconvincing, except against Dulgheru in Sydney, and Safina and Zvonareva in Melbourne. She was injured in Indian Wells and Miami, so we can overlook that. The thing is though, if she's playing so badly, what does that say about the rest of the tour?

J4m3ka
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:48 AM
100% agree.

That's why every non-biased tennis viewer always says that she was fundamentally better at tennis pre-retirement. Her strength being retrieving, the fact she was a mental midget and playing girls who were half decent at tennis was why she had "only" 1 slam. Nowadays this is pretty redundant, given the fact that she doesn't give a rats ass on court making her appear to be a mental giant & the players can't keep a ball in court to save their life :help:

BlameSerena
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Whenever I watched a match of Kim Clijsters during the last year, commentators kept saying "This is not like Kim today", "She's not at her best", "Kim is not in great shape today, she can do so much better"...

But can she?

Let's face it: Most of the time Kim is doing a lot of unforeced errors and winning matches because she's a fighter and mentally and physicly strong.

Don't get me wrong: She's the best player on the tour right now - no doubt about it.

But that's the problem: Her game is not that great as everybody wants it to be. She's not better than before her comeback.

It's just that there is absolutly no competition since the Williams-sisters & Henin are gone.

I can only hope that former top players like Sharapova, Ivanovic & Co find her form and Kim stays healthy to keep this level.

2011:
Won Australian-Open (but in bad shape - appart from the semi-final vs Zvonareva, which was ok)
Indian Wells (horrible)
Miami (horrible as well)

Also when she won the Tour Championships and the US Open last year, she was not totally convincing. Had some really poor matches.

:help:She wins on crappy form until someone makes her pay. This way of playing has become her normal. Not much difference in how she played the Uso and how she is playing these days. Smh.

MakarovaFan
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:02 PM

But can she?

2011:
Indian Wells (horrible)
Miami (horrible as well)

The same can be said for another highely overrated(atleast overated in her "recent" years) part time player. But does she get as much flak?

Pump-it-UP
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:04 PM
I blame it on the fact that she won Cincy playing like garbage. Her mindset hasn't been the same since then. She finally realized that she can play at 20% and its still good enough to scrape by most of the time. :tape:

Raiden
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Show me the numbers. PROVE it!

Demonstrate that whatever "this" form you're refering to has been the form Kim has had for multiples of matches, tournaments, and years.

But I suspect you can't. You're Kim hating Serena-tard which can only mean you're talking out of your ass......... out of your jelous donk.

All of this because (and only because) Kim's kicking WS ass AND grabbing the big silverware.

In the mean time I let the fact speaks for itself:

v2RMD1rc9os

Here is a match of exactly one year ago which was nothing like the way she played in Miami this week

Rollo
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM

She does throw in a lot of errors. The forehand especially can really go off. And often she does win ugly.

Don't get me wrong: She's the best player on the tour right now - no doubt about it. Glad we agree on that too:)

I disagree a tad here. For one thing she is mentally stronger than in the past.
Perhaps she is just more relaxed. Winning a slam, becoming a mom, and having a second career have all had an impact.

young_gunner913
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:02 PM

Demonstrate that whatever "this" form you're refering to has been the form Kim has had for multiples of matches, tournaments, and years.

But I suspect you can't. You're Kim hating Serena-tard which can only mean you're talking out of your ass......... out of your jelous donk.

All of this because (and only because) Kim's kicking WS ass AND grabbing the big silverware.

Here is a match of exactly one year ago which was nothing like the way she played in Miami this week

Kim is not kicking Serena's ass at all. 1 win is not kicking ass. Look at their H2H, that's kicking ass.

Raiden
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:16 PM
They have not bumped into each other enough times but still, your dearly beloved Ree has had a bit of difficulty prevailing against Kim. Last time she did that was way back in 2003... that was when Ree was at her max-peak and Kim was only 19 or 20 years old :lol:

Betty
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:50 PM

But can she?

2011:
Indian Wells (horrible)
Miami (horrible as well)

:help: Did'nt Kim won 3 x from Venus? 3 x from Henin? En 1 x from Serena? Kim was in form when they play:lol:

Betty
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Again a thread about Kim ? you all must love her :lol:

The Witch-king
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
Talk about stating the obvious

J4m3ka
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
They have not bumped into each other enough times but still, your dearly beloved Ree has had a bit of difficulty prevailing against Kim. Last time she did that was way back in 2003... that was when Ree was at her max-peak and Kim was only 19 or 20 years old :lol:

They have bumped into other more than enough times to justify a 7-1 h2h, 7-2 if you include the Shino victory.

There is a reason Serena has 13 slams across all 4 surfaces including an Olympic Gold, and Medusa will go down in the history books as a one slam wonder, who obtained 2 more USO's and an AO hitting 44 UEs per match and abusing the likes of Na Li.

spencercarlos
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM

But can she?

2011:
Indian Wells (horrible)
Miami (horrible as well)

Whatever i mean, who cares? She is winning more than she was before her first retirement, that´s all that counts.

Kim has been affected by an injury in the last two events, yet she reached R16 and QF, can´t you even count the Barotli loss? :help: and Vika was and has been sublime is the last two matches, that along with the fact that Kim was horrible doing 39 unforced errors in two 6-3 sets, that was crap.

Overall Kim has had the greater year so far with a slam in the bag and with some rest and some luck she will probably a slam at Rg or Wimbledon. With Serena out, and Venus not so sure, this can be her greatest chance at Wimbledon..

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2011, 04:31 PM
She's just in the phase right now that she can't bring it day in, day out..so she saves the extra gear for the majors. She's 27 now and a mom, sooo.

muniu
Apr 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
They have bumped into other more than enough times to justify a 7-1 h2h, 7-2 if you include the Shino victory.

There is a reason Serena has 13 slams across all 4 surfaces including an Olympic Gold, and Medusa will go down in the history books as a one slam wonder, who obtained 2 more USO's and an AO hitting 44 UEs per match and abusing the likes of Na Li.

epic kurwa epic :worship:

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 1st, 2011, 04:48 PM
Caroline plays better than Clijsters 90% of the time.
Why are they saying Clijsters is the real #1 when she plays horrible all the time?
When they meet, Wozniacki suddenly plays crap and loses = Clijsters the better player?
Wrong.
I don't get how Caroline loses to her, though, because Clijsters doesn't play amazing. She's pretty average most of the time but wins the matches anyway.

It's like Djokovic, who hasn't played a great match the entire year but has won all of them because all of his opponents have played awful with the exception of Dodig and Anderson who played ok.

As soon as they play somebody playing well, they lose.

toxina90
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM

v2RMD1rc9os

I love Kim's reaction after winning that. She oozes cool. Wish she was playing like this now :sad:

cellophane
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:19 PM
I love Kim's reaction after winning that. She oozes cool. Wish she was playing like this now :sad:

I think if Henin/Serena were back and actually giving her some competition, she would be far more motivated...

danieln1
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Maybe she´s overrated, or maybe her best is what she´s showing with those matches

danieln1
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Caroline plays better than Clijsters 90% of the time.
Why are they saying Clijsters is the real #1 when she plays horrible all the time?
When they meet, Wozniacki suddenly plays crap and loses = Clijsters the better player?
Wrong.
I don't get how Caroline loses to her, though, because Clijsters doesn't play amazing. She's pretty average most of the time but wins the matches anyway.

It's like Djokovic, who hasn't played a great match the entire year but has won all of them because all of his opponents have played awful with the exception of Dodig and Anderson who played ok.

As soon as they play somebody playing well, they lose.

That´s what irritates me a lot, she should won those matches, in US Open 09 OK, first slam final, didn´t play well because she was nervous or whatever, but that YEC final was plain ridiculous, Caroline played like crap and Kimberly didn´t play well at all...

Hopefully in their next match Caroline could play her best and win, it shouldn´t be that dificult for her

pov
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:37 PM
W She's not better than before her comeback.

:lol: Uh-huh. yeah. right. :facepalm:

kman
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM

Blah blah. Clijsters had a tougher match in the YEC final against Wozniacki than she had against Serena at the US Open SF and while Clijsters is 2-0 against Wozniacki since her comeback, she's 3-0 against Henin since her comeback.

Clijsters herself said it's way easier when you're not top 10. Now that's she's top 10 and in the same boat as Wozniacki and the others, it's more of a grind. It's a lot more taxing physically and mentally now. Now we get to see whether Clijsters is a marathon runner or just a sprinter. Whether she's in it for the long haul.

kman
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:55 PM
I think if Henin/Serena were back and actually giving her some competition, she would be far more motivated...

Looks like Caroline is giving her plenty competition in the rankings. #1 in rankings and #1 in race. Clijsters needs to step up or she'll get left in the dust.

elirj70
Apr 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
Looks like Caroline is giving her plenty competition in the rankings. #1 in rankings and #1 in race. Clijsters needs to step up or she'll get left in the dust.

I agree you :worship:

ViceUltramontain
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:06 PM

Who cares about rankings. Kim is a GS champ and an all time great when Caroline is still a pathetic and slamless attention whore.

Ryusuke Tenma
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:12 PM
Who cares about rankings. Kim is a GS champ and an all time great when Caroline is still a pathetic and slamless attention whore.
You better watch your mouth.

Caroline is #1 in both the rankings and the race.
She has dominated smaller events and gone deep and won many HUGE events too (5 tier 1s in a row :wavey:) and it's only a matter of time before she plays well against Clijsters and beats her and then wins slams :wavey:

Also, how is she an attention whore?
She's just friends with everyone, that doesn't make you an attention whore :weirdo:
Also, I wouldn't call a player with the calibre and results like Wozniacki pathetic :weirdo:

Caroline is the future champion dominator of the tour.
Caroline will be dominating the tour winning slams left and right while Clijsters is gone and forgotten.

kman
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:17 PM
And Clijsters wasn't slamless at age 20?

Fail.

If Clijsters can't find motivation, she should retire.

She's not #1 so if she can't find motivation, it's because her heart is not in tennis, not because there's no competition.

It's not like she's #1 with a 5000 point lead and winning every tournament she enters.

cellophane
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM
Wozniacki isn't cometition for Kim... she isn't going to lose to her if she is fit, motivated and playing anywhere near decent. Heck, she played sub-par at YEC and won. Competition is an elite player like Serena/Henin.

The Witch-king
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM

Wow classy.

kman
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:36 PM
Wozniacki isn't cometition for Kim... she isn't going to lose to her if she is fit, motivated and playing anywhere near decent. Heck, she played sub-par at YEC and won. Competition is an elite player like Serena/Henin.

She's 3-0 against Hening and 2-0 against Wozniacki since her comeback. Big difference?

And her match against Wozniacki at YEC was closer than her match against Serena at US Open SF and that was a Wozniacki playing sub-par.

She has plenty of competition, not least on the rankings where she couldn't hold the #1 spot for more than a week before being dethroned.

And judging by her own recent statement, being in the top 10 and playing the tour as a top 10 player is "a lot tougher". That might be why she's been struggling more as of late. The grind seems to be affecting her body as well. WTA is demanding nowadays. Even the lower ranked players are fairly capable.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think there's a lot of questions about Kim, going back to Paris Indoors.
Wozniacki's loss to Petkovic doesnt change my thinking about her.
But Kim pulling out of IW, almost losing to Ana, then a weak match against Vika.

The clay is going to be interesting.
To win the FO, you have to be very fit and play a lot of tennis those 2 weeks.
Kim hasnt seemed that way since January.

ViceUltramontain
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM
You better watch your mouth.

Caroline is #1 in both the rankings and the race.
She has dominated smaller events and gone deep and won many HUGE events too (5 tier 1s in a row :wavey:) and it's only a matter of time before she plays well against Clijsters and beats her and then wins slams :wavey:

Also, how is she an attention whore?
She's just friends with everyone, that doesn't make you an attention whore :weirdo:
Also, I wouldn't call a player with the calibre and results like Wozniacki pathetic :weirdo:

Caroline is the future champion dominator of the tour.
Caroline will be dominating the tour winning slams left and right while Clijsters is gone and forgotten.

I didn't say she's a pathetic player, I said she's a pathetic attention whore.
How is she an attention whore ? Well, she has spent the entire off season travelling around the world, she has been ridiculous with her kangaroo press conference in Melbourne or with her "hahaha" tweet to Serena during the Heningate, now the Wozniacki's are even faking an encounter with Obama. She's trying way too hard.

kman
Apr 1st, 2011, 08:50 PM
How is she an attention whore ? Well, she has spent the entire off season travelling around the world, she has been ridiculous with her kangaroo press conference in Melbourne or with her "hahaha" tweet to Serena during the Heningate, now the Wozniacki's are even faking an encounter with Obama. She's trying way too hard.

Good to see you've been paying attention.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:04 PM
...Well, she has spent the entire off season travelling around the world... She's trying way too hard.I dont even know what she did in the offseason, besides the charity match with Vika.
You study her too intensely.

backhandsmash
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:08 PM
Attention whore?

Is that not what is required from WTA? From all players.

AcesHigh
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM

But she'll lose to Zvonareva or Azarenka....

Kim can lose to anyone. She's human.

AcesHigh
Apr 1st, 2011, 09:23 PM

You're ridiculous. She's not asking for attention... the media is just desperate and so is TF

Betty
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM
I think if Henin/Serena were back and actually giving her some competition, she would be far more motivated...And a better shoulder;)

Betty
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:28 PM
And Clijsters wasn't slamless at age 20?

Fail.

She's not #1 so if she can't find motivation, it's because her heart is not in tennis, not because there's no competition.

It's not like she's #1 with a 5000 point lead and winning every tournament she enters.Kim won the YEC in 2002 when she was 19 from the great nr 1 Serena!:)

LightWarrior
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:32 PM
I think the pink cloud lasted as long as it did. I don't think it's about the shoulder. She seems bored on the court these days, probably wants to be a good mother to Jada more than anything. Subconscouly she must feel a sense of guilt. A relevant comparison is with Evonne Cawley Goolagong, the last woman before Kim to have won a slam being a mother. Pink cloud didn't last long and she was never really competitive again.

Uranus
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:52 PM
Kim is not motivated, she cares about the slams, but RG I guess.

And it's crazy how you're acting like Caro is on par with Serena, with the YEC/USO comment. It's obvious Kim played bad tennis throughout the YEC and still won it. She was much better against Serena.

Uranus
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:53 PM

It's not like she's #1 with a 5000 point lead and winning every tournament she enters.
Are you that desperate for Caro to win a slam? Hoping better players than her retire? :lol:

Betty
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:56 PM
The day Kim anounced to sart playing tennis again,she said: "We'll see how things work out. Everything is new to me: travelling around the world with a kid and family". If things seem to be tougher than expected, it's her right to stop.There's no reason whatever to be ashamed, she is the best comebacker ever in history. :hatoff:

toxina90
Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:25 AM

I agree, and JJ ofcourse who managed to beat her when she was back in this form ;) :kiss:

égalité
Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:32 AM
yeah that's totally true true you're soooo smartAPRIL FOOLS :weirdo:

terjw
Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM

Firstly - a lot of player do care and a lot of fans do care about the rankings. The fact that there are so many posts on the rankings exposes the lie that no-one cares about them.

Secondly, it really is completely understandable that Caro and Kim have different strengths and priorities. With Kim - her top priorities are slams and Fed Cup. And whilst she will try her hardest whilst playing the other tournaments - the hunger for them and what they mean to her is not the same as it is with Caro.

Thirdly - your snide remark on Caro in your last statement is uncalled for and says far more about you than it does Caro and pretty much discredits you and your post.

And on topic - as far as Kim playing bad. I agree her play hasn't always been pretty since her comeback. But a sign of a great champuion is to be able to win when your A game has deserted you. It's easy to win when everything works for you and you are playing lights out. But whether playing well or ugly - Kim has found a way of grinding out the wins in the last two slams and the YEC. This is the mark of champions in all sports.

Alejandrawrrr
Apr 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
Kim won the YEC in 2002 when she was 19 from the great nr 1 Serena!:)

That has nothing to do with the post you quoted :confused:

And anyway, on the topic; I'm literally NOT trying to troll Kim at all, even though I'll probably draw accusations of that anyway, but in my opinion, it looks like she might be a little disillusioned with professional tennis(or the WTA at least.) She originally retired at a very different time for tennis, with prime Henin, her friend Mauresmo, an in-form Sharapova, and just a higher standard in general. Obviously she would have known times have changed, but I think she came back expecting to have fun on court, like she probably did then. I think she gets flashes of this old feeling, like when she plays Serena, Justine or Venus again, but for the most part it probably hasn't lived up to her expectations. That or, as a mom she just has different priorities now, but either way I definitely don't see her being around by the end of 2013. Similar to Venus, who I think has achieved what she wanted in Tennis for the most part, and doesn't feel she has much left to prove. The fight comes back every once in a while for her(like when she was about to lose in the 2nd round of AO,) but yeah... That's my take :shrug:

MH0861
Apr 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Kim is in it for the SLAMS, she doesn't care about these other events :lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Apr 2nd, 2011, 02:30 PM
it's amazing how this whole "she's in it for the slams" thing is a-ok when it comes to st. kim, yet when serena fans said it's what serena was doing that was the epitome of an ungrateful woman who didn't give back to the tour who gave her so much :lol:

The Witch-king
Apr 2nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
it's amazing how this whole "she's in it for the slams" thing is a-ok when it comes to st. kim, yet when serena fans said it's what serena was doing that was the epitome of an ungrateful woman who didn't give back to the tour who gave her so much :lol:

Well atleast people (and commentators) are waking up to this double-standard. Some were complaining about her lack of effort in one of her matches a couple of days ago.

terjw
Apr 2nd, 2011, 03:39 PM

Let's get this straight:

It is completely understandable that Kim, Serena or any playerhas priorities and is not able to play at their top and play all the tournaments.And if that prolongs their careers - that is a good thing.

In an ideal world they would be.They should not be worshipped for doing this and other players who do support thye tour ridiculed and called tournament whores and jokes. That is unacceptable. Basically it all boils down to if a top player is not #1 and doesn't win as much outside slams - then they are not as good in that area as the player who is #1 and does. It's a bit like the fastest man / woman in the world is the fastest. And they'll win the 100 metres and are the best at that. But they can't win everything and at the marathon - they are not the beast or as good as the player who wins that.

Unless you win multiple slams and multiple tournaments and are #1 most of the season - you aren't dominating. You can dominate in conjunction with another player (Kim and Caro). The last person to dominate on their own was Justine in 2007.

So bottom line - I have no problem with Kim, Venus, Serena choosing to prioritise. But I can't abide belittling players who support the tour or beat them or get to #1. Any player not #1 - Kim, Serena or whoever is simply not good enough to be #1, win all these tournaments and slams. and there is no difference in any of that applying to Serena and not Kim or vice-versa. Although of course in her first career - Kim did do wonders for the WTA with supporting the tour.

GoofyDuck
Apr 2nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
Why are we still talking about this soon irrelevant person, she'll fade away just like Henin.
And Henin will always be the better between the two.

Betty
Apr 2nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
Kim is in it for the SLAMS, she doesn't care about these other events :lol:

Why not. She is almost 28, and she has only one more year to go. If she stay healthy.

Navratil
Apr 7th, 2011, 11:52 AM
But that's not good for the tour to have the 3 best players only compete in Grand-Slams.

Even Tier Ones are a joke these days. And because Caroline is solid on that level, it makes her # 1 :D