PDA

View Full Version : Do People Still Think Hogstedt's A Fool For Switching To Maria

Slampova
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:43 AM
Before I say anything, I just wanna say this isn't a hate thread directed at Na or anything :oh:

I know Li had a fantastic start to the year beating Kim at Sydney and reaching the final of the AO and going 11-1 at the start of the year. After these great results a lot of posters basically laughed in Hogstedt's face making him out to be a total moron for dropping Na and switching to Maria.

Since her run throghout January however, Na has shockingly lost every match she has played going 0-5 in matches since the AO final most recently losing to Larsson. Her impressive 11-1 record has been tarnished and now stands at 11-5

On the other hand, Maria's results have went from being mediocre when Thomas was being mocked (Auckland QF:Lost to eventual champion, and AO 4R) to fantastic (IW Semi-Final:Lost to World No.1, and Miami F: With chance to win the title against Vera/Vika). Her W/L record has improved from 5-2 after the AO to 14-3(Excluding Fed Cup) and she has now been guaranteed a position within the Top10.

Obviously if Maria wins the title it will trump Li's Sydney title, but Na will still have her AO run. Overall though, do people still think Thomas is a mug for switching sides now that Li's play has gone down the drain and Maria's has vastly improved???

What are your opinions people?

Shvedbarilescu
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:49 AM
Bottom line is I'm sure Maria made him an offer that he couldn't refuse. So basically the guy is making a lot more money now. I don't think you could call him a fool at all. A bastard perhaps, but not a fool.

Aravanecaravan
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:51 AM
He'll wind up with far more successes in Maria's camp than he ever would have with the other girl.

new-york
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:52 AM
It was just about his manners.

Good for him.

msharafan
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:55 AM
i think at the end of the day it was his decision, but if i was him i know who id choose to coach, nothing against li na but at the end of the day maria has been number 1 in the world and has won 3 slams. then again you could argue that after maria's shoulder surgery she has not been the same player, whereas li has improved leaps and bounds in the last few years and has a lot of potential, however maria for me would have shown enough game to prove she can get back to the top, for example her defeats to justine at the french open last year and serena at wimbledon, although she lost maria did compete well and proved she hadnt lost her ability to get back to the top, which before she was injured she was doing better than li. therefore i think it was a good decision, and besides the partnership seems to be going well if we are to go by recent results, and li seems to enjoy being coached by her husband :)

cellophane
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:57 AM
Meh. She's had good results before... Cincinatti 2010. Toronto 2009...
Her loss to WozWoz is still :help:

So I would wait how she does at Slams / in other tournaments before making any judgements about Hogstedt / his effect on her game

L'Enfant Sauvage
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM
I can't help but feel the jinxing coming in :unsure:

Slampova
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:00 AM
I can't help but feel the jinxing coming in :unsure:

There's nothing to jinx here? Whether Maria wins or loses the final all I'm asking is do people still think Hogstedt's a fool for switching now that Maria's had decent results whereas Li hasn't :shrug:

danieln1
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:40 AM
NaNa knew about the switch by a simple e-mail, that was classless!!!!

goldlion
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:41 AM
Let's say, Hogstedt is helping Maria with the results that Michael can't produce anymore with an impaired Pova. The collaboration between Maria and Michael has reached the climax and it is already a huge accomplishment by winning 2 grand slams. How many coach can do that?

Actually what I've been wondering is whether Maria's game has changed after Hogstedt coaching her? Tactically speaking?

goldlion
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:43 AM
NaNa knew about the switch by a simple e-mail, that was classless!!!!

She was based on an assumption that there are mutual trust between them tho which was kinda informal especially to someone that's not close as your husband. To me, she was stupid not to have a contract with him. But that said, it was still a classless act from him to inform her via email.

Vincey!
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:44 AM
There's not a single coach that would make a bad decision to switch for Maria :shrug: She must pay really well and she's a superstart. You're her coach you get tons of visibility after that whatever her results were.

Vikapower
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:59 AM
This just says that Maria is from miles to light-years a better player than Li Na... Hog knew it and just simply seized his chance to work with such a unique incredible great talented player like her... he's doing a very good job right now and this can only go from jolie to mesmerizing.

Is he a fool !!!? No. He'd have been one if'd refuse to go with a 3 time slam champ still in ability to answer the calling of the 10s... Li Na on the contrary...

gc-spurs
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:00 AM
It was just about his manners.

Good for him.

This.

No ones a fool switching from NaNa to Shazza- you're gonna be making more, and she's a more impressive name, but the way it was reported to have gone down is rude.

Feyd
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:54 AM
Do people still think he's a fool for switching sides??
Those people were actually the fools. Who in his right mind would refuse the $$ from Maria $harapova?

adner
Apr 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Her results look good on paper, but really, she's beaten Stosur and some lesser players. Wait until she beats Azarenka or someone worthy.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:46 PM
In January Li beat Kim to win Sydney & made the AO final.
Since then, Li's been awful.
But she's also been 1 of the 2 high seeds in Maria's IW, Miami quarters, along with Stosur, who is way off form.

So right now, Li's had the better year, but is terrible right now, which might change. Or not.

Mr.Sharapova
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
A really good question :yeah:.

I think that he made the right decision to join Maria. Maria was in need for a good coach at that time, seeing that Joyce was more of a friend to her and not a good teacher as far as her tactics during matches are concerned. I was really happy when Maria signed him and I knew that even though she had some bad results in the beginning of the year, she would find her range sooner or latter :yeah:.

All I have to disagree is the way he and Na got departed, by him sending her a short notice or something. That was rude from his part, but maybe this shows that their relations weren't good:shrug:.

Pasta-Na
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM
hes not a fool. he gets paid more from maria. :p

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:37 PM
When a coach is wanted by 2 players this successful, he cant lose. He would get paid either way.

Ellery
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
No. And I never thought it was foolish of him to do that :shrug:

But that doesn't change the fact that the way he switched without even telling Na makes him a classless cow.

Morning Morgan
Apr 1st, 2011, 01:49 PM
Well not a fool, but definitely a weasel.

The Witch-king
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:11 PM
This is what is stupid about this whole debate

So he was a fool when Li Na was having success a few weeks ago and now that she's flopping he's not a fool?

What happens when Sharapova starts flopping again next week? Will he be a fool again?