PDA

View Full Version : Help convince the WTA to add important stats to their Live Scores/Match Results

pov
Mar 31st, 2011, 09:24 PM
Including winners and UEs along with the info that they currently provide seems like a no-brainer. If you agree please go to their contact form and let them know.

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/Contact/0,,12781,00.html

Empressive
Mar 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Seeing as the scores come from the chair umpire, that would take a lot of time and effort, wouldn't it?

Papillon.
Mar 31st, 2011, 10:35 PM
Yes. All of the stats compiled are objective; whether an error is unforced or forced is not always clear, therefore it is a slightly unreliable stat (I always take it with a pinch of salt); if the WTA recognises this and declines to include it in their match stats, it only makes sense that they leave out winners too (since they seem to go hand-in-hand with unforced errors).

Protoss
Mar 31st, 2011, 10:53 PM
For FedCup the scoreboards have winners and unforced errors. :shrug:

pov
Mar 31st, 2011, 11:10 PM
To the nay-sayers (why am I surprised that, even for this topic, there are some. :facepalm:):
- All the stats come from the umpire.
- There is a criteria for UEs and these two stats are readily available to the TV networks.
- All the majors (ITF), Fed Cup and Davis Cup report these stats.

IMPOSSIBLE
Mar 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Would Be Good, But Will Not Happen In Near Future ;)

danieln1
Mar 31st, 2011, 11:25 PM
Best thread in a while, and a great idea too, I donīt even look at those stats because Iīm not interested in how many points a player is winning while receiving a serve!!

it would be awesome if they put winners/UE

pedropt
Mar 31st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'd rather convince them to change the broadcast politic in the US Tournaments to be honest :weirdo:

goldlion
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:48 AM
WTA needs to have a site like ATP with clear breakdown of points and showing the activities and how the ranking points are calculated instead of us just manually doing the add ups.

pokey camp
Apr 1st, 2011, 02:50 AM
Best thread in a while, and a great idea too, I donīt even look at those stats because Iīm not interested in how many points a player is winning while receiving a serve!!

it would be awesome if they put winners/UE
ITA, especially since they are so idiotic when it comes to livestream availability. :rolleyes:

Le Tenisse
Apr 1st, 2011, 03:06 AM
Totally agree in the fact that they need to have a site similar to the ATP one. Having a challenger tour, full entry lists, more tourneys in venues that are finnancially available and support system for countries that are in disadvantage in terms of international representation wouldnīt be bad also ;)

ArturoAce.
Apr 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
WTA needs to find a better video player, and more efficient photo viewer :o

Papillon.
Apr 1st, 2011, 06:19 AM
To the nay-sayers (why am I surprised that, even for this topic, there are some. :facepalm:):
- There is a criteria for UEs and these two stats are readily available to the TV networks.

I am not a nay-sayer, I was simply explaining the logical and likely reason as to why such a stat isn't made publicly available on the scoreboard.

Also in regards to this criteria, you do realise whether the error in question meets the criteria can be very much subjective in itself? ;)

HuHu
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Yes. All of the stats compiled are objective; whether an error is unforced or forced is not always clear, therefore it is a slightly unreliable stat

This. When two are doing the same, it isn't always the same:

http://i52.tinypic.com/vxzrwx.jpg

TheAllan
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:42 PM
Are you suggesting that umpires compile stats on winners and unforced errors? Because that is not so. They are done by private companies such as IBM who typically rely on students to do the actual collection of the data.

Stats may be relatively consistent at the same Slam, but if you compare between Slams, you will see a difference in quality/criteria. Also, the Grand Slams do not report them for every match. Much like Miami doesn't provide them for every match. They are primarily used by the tv networks and compiled on the main courts.

I think you have a good point in suggesting that the available stats somehow be incorporated into the Pro Live Tennis/Live Scoring system used by ATP/WTA/ITF when they are available in certain matches and tournaments. There are probably some technical challenges, but they should be surmountable. And as a minimum they should be made available after matches have finished.

Lisickinator
Apr 1st, 2011, 12:49 PM
WTA needs to have a site like ATP with clear breakdown of points and showing the activities and how the ranking points are calculated instead of us just manually doing the add ups.
this