PDA

View Full Version : Petkovic - best German since Steffi Graf?

Navratil
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I know it's hard for all the German girls but whenever there is a little hope the girls have to be compared to Steffi Graf.

That's not fair. I know.

And in case of Petkovic the German media doesn't write that stuff. Maybe because she's quite old for her breakthrough year and it's obvious she won't be a next Steffi.
Maybe Steffi-ara is too long ago by now or maybe they learned something within the last decade ;)

Anyway:

Petkovic is the first German to beat a No.1 in a full match since Steffi Graf beat Martina Hingis in the 1999 French Open final. She is also the first German to reach the quarterfinals in Miami/Key Biscayne since Anke Huber did it 10 years ago in 2001.

Since the "Graf/Huber/Becker/Stich-ara" fast rising Anna-Lena Groenefeld and Sabine Lisicki were the best German players. In both cases they seemed to be on the verge of Top Ten but then they strugled and disappeared (which is in the case of Groenefeld a nice way to describe it). ;)

Now Petkovic is by far the most successful German player on tour! Will she break into the Top Ten?

What can she achieve? What do you think about her?

Navratil
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM
In my opinion she seems to be a very nice person, quite intelligent (for a tennis player) and intersting.

I like the way she plays although her technique looks a little awkward to me. Not round. Not fluent. Her forehand yet is her best shot.

What I like is that she's brave, going the risk. In the Wozniacki match she got a little shaky by the end of the first set, overpowered some forehands.
But she seems to be very strong mentally. Served an ace to get the first set and an ace on matchpoint in the third. That's so impressive!

Fantastic season for her. Honestly: I never though she would get that far. Lisicki seemed to have the weigh bigger potential. Groenefeld too (last lifetime).

*Jool*
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:56 AM
she could have a Huber-like career , maybe.
I voted Top 10

Smitten
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Does Anke Huber from Grand Slam Finalist and Top 10 player not exist?

Beat
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM

this. i'm astonished that a german poster should forget about anke.

Mixal
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I think the poster meant if she is going to have the best career of all the Germans after Steffi.

Well, I don't know, at the moment she is the best of them, but Lisicki and Gorges are both younger, so they all have time to improve. She may achive something like Anke Huber...

pan
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Anke was a Grand Slam finalist, a Top 5 player and won 12 tournaments in her career. She was a consistent top 20 player for so many years! She retired at young age (26), could have achieved way more in my opinion. That's hard to beat.
Andrea is very talented and I love how she brings her smartness and her experience on the court. She improves from month to month, she quickly learns from mistakes she made in the past and she's one of the fittest girls on the tour. She has a great fighting spirit, she loves to compete and she gets mentally stronger from match to match. Her rise is just about to begin and with a little bit of luck and if she stays healthy she can make it to a top 10 player one day. Also in comparison to ALG and Sabine I'm sure she'll be Germany's best player in the post GrafHuber-era. ;)

Navratil
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Huber was not after Steffi Graf ara but at the same time ;)

She retired shortly after Graf.

jrm
Mar 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
still see Lisicki having more potencial

Anabelcroft
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM

World number 4,GS final(lost to number 1 seed),YEC final(lost to number 1 seed),Fed Cup winner(1992),Hopman Cup winner(1995,so many weeks spent in top 10...

12 titles,23 finals...in every final she lost,she lost to players who were,in their careers better ranked than her(Graf,Seles,Capriati,Davenport,Hingis,Mauresmo, Novotna,Tauziat) with the exception of her last final where she lost to Farina-Elia,who at the moment played her best tennis and was ranked highest in her career(11th in the world)...

Has won titles on every surface-hard,clay,grass,carpet...

At this stage,could not even compare to Petkovic...

auntie janie
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:58 AM
World number 4, GS final (lost to number 1 seed), YEC final (lost to number 1 seed), Fed Cup winner (1992), Hopman Cup winner (1995), so many weeks spent in top 10...

12 titles, 23 finals...

Has won titles on every surface-hard, clay, grass, carpet...

At this stage,could not even compare to Petkovic...

I love Petkorazzi. But right now, these hard facts tell the story, and it's The Anke Story. Maybe Petko can catch her, in time.

crazillo
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Lisicki is the better player at her max, but then she has serious mental issues. Petkovic -- well I thought top 30 will be the end for her, but she has improved yet again, and most importantly, she is becoming better mentally after every loss. That's something that seperates her from many German girls.

Anabelcroft
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM
I love Petkorazzi. But right now, these hard facts tell the story, and it's The Anke Story. Maybe Petko can catch her, in time.

Not just that,but:

In every final she lost,she lost to players who were,in their careers better ranked than her(Graf,Seles,Capriati,Davenport,Hingis,Mauresmo, Novotna,Tauziat) with the exception of her last final where she lost to Farina-Elia,who was highest ranked 11th in the world...

Plus Anke qualified 7 times for YEC!

mk27
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Plus Anke qualified 7 times for YEC!

Yes, but only because 16 players were qualified at this time for YEC.

Beat
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:52 PM
↑ and your point is?

*edit*
i was not referring to mk27, but to a post by sarac that was deleted.

Anabelcroft
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:17 PM
↑ and your point is?

Obviously that she is bonded with people with same roots...

Lapaco
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Why do you want to claim someone who is that annoying and obnoxious as her? It's not like we don't already have more than enough such types as it is.

hahaha

Sammo
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Groenefeld - World Number 14, when she was playing her best she was so freaking amazing! now she's crap but she still has achieved more than Petkovic, and we can't predict the future :shrug:

Rollo
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:26 PM
In my opinion she seems to be a very nice person, quite intelligent (for a tennis player) and intersting.

I like the way she plays although her technique looks a little awkward to me. Not round. Not fluent. Her forehand yet is her best shot.

What I like is that she's brave, going the risk. In the Wozniacki match she got a little shaky by the end of the first set, overpowered some forehands.
But she seems to be very strong mentally. Served an ace to get the first set and an ace on matchpoint in the third. That's so impressive!

Fantastic season for her. Honestly: I never though she would get that far. Lisicki seemed to have the weigh bigger potential. Groenefeld too (last lifetime).

That about sums up how I feel about her. And I dig the "Petko dance:)

Beating The Wozzer is a good win but no great shakes in my book though-Caro is currently really only a prentender #1. Often the real test of how good a player is shows in the next match after the big upset-can Petkovic go on to reach the finals or win here?

For now I'd put Anke Huber above her by miles.

Miracle Worker
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Even TOP5 - today a lot of player can achieve career higher in TOP5.

Mistress of Evil
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:37 PM
TOP 15 :shrug:
maybe TOP 10 :unsure:

Shonami Slam
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:58 PM
sabine hack > ALG > Lisicki > Petko.
but the last is the only one that can change.

n1_and_uh_noone
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Please, Huber is way ahead of her right now.

About her game, I don't think she really does anything special TBH. By her own admission, she prefers to just hit, hit, hit, because over-thinking things gets her in trouble. No variety, and there are bigger and more consistent hitters than her on tour. Serve is OK (second is rather weak), movement is decent, though she does not defend smartly. She is rather mature, so she stays composed on court, which is to her advantage, but unless she has a superb draw at big events, it is hard to see her doing too much damage.

Now about her off-court persona, I totally dig it! Love her unique combo of thoughtfulness and a renegade spirit.

brickhousesupporter
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:15 PM
That about sums up how I feel about her. And I dig the "Petko dance:)

Beating The Wozzer is a good win but no great shakes in my book though-Caro is currently really only a prentender #1. Often the real test of how good a player is shows in the next match after the big upset-can Petkovic go on to reach the finals or win here?

For now I'd put Anke Huber above her by miles.
Of all the people I expected to hear that comment from, I didn't expect it from you. :drool:

Anabelcroft
Mar 29th, 2011, 10:34 PM
sabine hack

Good memory...she was number 11 or 13 in the world...don't remember,but she bageled Graf in one set in one of the tournaments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER0zhftgRlI

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:14 PM
She's in the semis of Miami, and beat Maria easily in Melbourne.
So she might win thsi title if Kim doesnt make the final

PLP
Mar 30th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Hard to say, but she definitely could become the best since Steffi.
Hopefully she can keep keep getting results like this.

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2011, 06:41 AM
Sorry - nothing against Huber! But she was kinda the same time since Steffi. So speaking of the next generation after Steffi includes Huber as part of the Steffi-ara ;)

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2011, 06:43 AM
Andrea's win against the world # 1 was a sensational upset but the match against former # 1 Jankovic was much more impressive! Stunning 3rd set! What a fighter and nerves of steel!

This match made me a fan! Never thought I would say that about Petkovic.

(Still hope Sharapova to win the semis)
;)

Slutiana
Mar 30th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I don't think she'll crack the top 10. She's a good player an a great battler, but she has searing holes in her game.

Not to mention the fact that these last two matches were completely appauling shitfests. 215 errors in all. I'm going to have a hard time not having nightmares over that 4/25 set from JJ. Horrific.

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Well it was only a matter of time:

http://www.bild.de/sport/mehr-sport/andrea-petkovic/tennis-queen-rockt-amerika-17149878.bild.html

Biggest German newspaper about Petkovic and Steffi Graf. They played 45 min. together! Wow! What an inspiration that must have been :D

Steffi is one of the greatest ever. No doubt. And a wonderful person.

But it must be so annoying for every player since to hear her name.

The first German player to do since Steffi...

The next Steffi?

Best player since Steffi...

... over and over ...

Navratil
Mar 30th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Petkovic is mentally and physically strong and an intelligent player. Whatever her talent is - that should be enough for Top Ten!

Considering the poor competition these days ;)

Not to forget that she's got a serve!! Not stunning but still. Sadly so many women still don't know how to use a serve as a weapon... :D

Shonami Slam
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Good memory...she was number 11 or 13 in the world...don't remember,but she bageled Graf in one set in one of the tournaments...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER0zhftgRlI

i do believe we are missing out on others too.
germany used to have 5-7 players in the top100 and most of them reached top50 at some point in thier careers.
don't forget even Julia Schruff was seeded in slams not so far ago.
anyway - i think the discussion in this thread is pretty much done, unless someone will enlighten us with a new name.

or claim that vaidisova is to be considered german too.

BartoliBabes
Mar 30th, 2011, 10:09 AM
are u f-ing serious? Anke Huber has been the best since Graf, easy

DaMatz
Mar 30th, 2011, 10:13 AM
are u f-ing serious? Anke Huber has been the best since Graf, easy

Comparing to Petkovic, Anke Huber has 12 titles, 1 doubles title (with Mary Pierce). And in GS she reached 1 final, two semi-finals and four quarter-finals. If you only take the titles, there is still a long way for Petkovic being as good as a Huber. Huber also was nb. 4 in the world (1996).

mk27
Mar 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
don't forget even Julia Schruff was seeded in slams not so far ago.

That was Martina Müller, but it was only 1 or 2 times.

Shonami Slam
Mar 30th, 2011, 11:46 AM
That was Martina Müller, but it was only 1 or 2 times.

you are correct, but again - it just proves that there were quite alot of top50 german players in the past decade and people seem to forget them pretty fast.

top20 is great, but the ranking inflation, the absence of the WS, henin+dementieva retirements give a false sense of what top10 and top20 mean anyway nowadays.
titles are always difficult to win, slam results are always a quick ruler and lengthy periods of success are more relevant than a quick splash in the pan.

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
She had 2 very good wins. Lets see how she finishes this tournament and if she has good majors.
Li really thumped her in Melbourne. A onesided match, and before that, she didnt have any good majors

Mr.Sharapova
Mar 30th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Lisicki is by the far the most talented and the most crowned German after Graff :yeah:

kman
Mar 30th, 2011, 08:18 PM
↑ and your point is?

*edit*
i was not referring to mk27, but to a post by sarac that was deleted.

I wasn't that impressed with her against Wozniacki. She barely defeated a Wozniacki who made almost 50 UEs. Caro usually has around 10 when she's on top of her game. Granted, some of the UEs was Petkovic's doing, but to be honest, they both played poorly. I just know that Caro played way below her level while I'm not sure if Petkovic's level is better than that normally. Lisicki is another German who beat Wozniacki, twice, (and not a tired Wozniacki) and she hasn't been doing that great. Petkovic could be another dud. I wouldn't put my money on that horse, yet.

justineheninfan
Mar 30th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Anke was a Grand Slam finalist, a Top 5 player and won 12 tournaments in her career. She was a consistent top 20 player for so many years! She retired at young age (26), could have achieved way more in my opinion.

Huber was already past her prime when she retired. She wasnt going to achieve anything better than what she already had, although she might have added a couple more small tournament title wins if lucky.

Le Tenisse
Mar 31st, 2011, 01:56 AM
Does the german fans below 20 even know who Anke was for german tennis?

Navratil
Mar 31st, 2011, 06:45 AM
The biggest German newspaper BILD (engl = picture) is getting on Petkovic:

The headline today: Attack on the tennis crown

(...) "Unbelievable", cheers Fed-Cup-Team Chef Barbara Rittner (37) after Petkos sensationel win, "now she is in the Top league!"

Next monday Petkovic will be Top 20 for the first time. Will she be number one soon?

Rittner: "The one who beats the current number one in bestform, can get to the top too."

... oh Andrea, these footprints might be too big :D

:lol:

Navratil
Mar 31st, 2011, 07:03 AM
What impresses me the most is that Andreas has been quite consistent for a year and improved her results all the time.

2010: Since that dramatic match against the defending champion Kuznetsova at the French-Open last year where she wasted several match points, she got better and better. Before Roland Garros she reached the 3rd round in Rom and Madrid (beating some good players). Then the final in S'hertogenbosch on grass: 6:3 3:6 4:6 versus Henin. Couldn't defend her title in Bad Gastein but then a semifinal in Istanbul and 4th round at the US Open. She hasn't been that great through the US hardcourt summer and was very poor in that centre court night session match in round four in New York against Zvonareva. After that she beat Kuznetsova and Dulko in Tokyo, Safarova in Bejing, reached the semi in Linz and had a tough match against another top player, Azarenka in Moscow.

2011: Final in Brisbane after beating Bartoli, first Grand Slam quarter final at the Australian-Open after beating Venus Williams (w.o.) and Sharapova. Two solid win in Fed-Cup, quarterfinal in Paris, 2nd round Dubai and 3rd Indian Wells and now semi (or more?) in Miami. She's 18-5 now in 2011.

Carsten
Bild + Barbara Rittner, always a great combination :lol: :help: If someone has some success, both are always there :D

Navratil
... but still: # 1? - I would bet against it :D

bandabou
Mar 31st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Awful lots of pressure..anytime your name has to come up next to Graf's. :lol: I think she can be a solid player. no.1 is out of the question, maybe around top 10..her type of game is good enough to catch fire for two weeks and boom. Sooo..

crazillo
Mar 31st, 2011, 09:51 AM
Well, what impresses me most about Petkovic is her mental improvements. I thought a player more or less stays mentally strong OR fragil throughout her career, but Andrea really became much better in that department. She wouldn't have won against Jankovic or Kuzzy even a year ago.

Wojtek
Mar 31st, 2011, 10:13 AM
No, there was Anke Huber

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2011, 07:04 PM
From looking at these last 2 sets, she needs to win some big matches before you put her high up on the list.
She fell apart after winning set 1

Navratil
Apr 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Now she's # 19 and officially the second best since Graf&Huber. Only Groenefeld was higher at # 14. But I'm sure Petkovic can break that record.

Best Germans ever (Open ara):

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Khode-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Eva Pfaff # 17
Andrea Petkovic # 19
Sabine Lisicki # 22
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24

Navratil
Apr 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Khode, Hanika, Bunge & Pfaff peaked before Graf got # 1

QuietPlease
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:20 PM
No, there was Anke Huber

This.

WTA #4
12 singles titles
1 Grand Slam final (20 GS 4th rounds!)

Best since Huber?
Yes, probably.

Hian
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I prefer Sabine.

Lapaco
Apr 7th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Now she's # 19 and officially the second best since Graf&Huber. Only Groenefeld was higher at # 14. But I'm sure Petkovic can break that record.

this makes no sense :lol:

azinna
Apr 7th, 2011, 05:45 PM
No, there was Anke Huber

Poor Anke! She suffered tremendously under that lithe shadow.

Markus
Apr 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Khode-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Eva Pfaff # 17
Andrea Petkovic # 19
Sabine Lisicki # 22
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24
At least one place up from Monday on, now better than Pfaff.

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Khode-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Andrea Petkovic # 15
Eva Pfaff # 17
Sabine Lisicki # 22
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24

Mynarco
Apr 21st, 2011, 01:37 PM
Lisicki's best >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Petkovic's best

Hian
Apr 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
Sabine is better than her. Great serve, great shots, perfect dropshot, amazing personality. Petkorazzi can be the second.

Markus
May 9th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Julia now included in the list

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Khode-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Andrea Petkovic # 15
Eva Pfaff # 17
Julia Goerges # 20
Sabine Lisicki # 22
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24

Claycourter
May 9th, 2011, 10:01 AM
:haha: Goddess Steffi at 41, is still twice the player Petkovic is.

Sammo
May 9th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Best German since Groenefeld :shrug:

justineheninfan
May 9th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Gorges is looking better than Petkovic.

Markus
May 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Julia up to 18 from Monday on without playing this week

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Khode-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Andrea Petkovic # 15
Eva Pfaff # 17
Julia Goerges # 18
Sabine Lisicki # 22
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24

Anabelcroft
May 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Julia up to 18 from Monday on without playing this week

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Khode-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Andrea Petkovic # 15
Eva Pfaff # 17
Julia Goerges # 18
Sabine Lisicki # 22
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24

Great post...I almost forgot about how good Khode-Kilsch was...

Markus
Aug 6th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Update, new career highs for Andrea and Sabine from Monday on

Steffi Graf # 1
Claudia Kohde-Kilsch # 3
Anke Huber # 4
Sylvia Hanika # 5
Bettina Bunge # 6
Andrea Petkovic # 10
Sabine Hack # 13
Anna-Lena Groenfeld # 14
Julia Goerges # 16
Eva Pfaff # 17
Sabine Lisicki # 21
Barbara Rittner # 24
Claudia Porwik # 24

HeySafZvoneRenka
Aug 6th, 2011, 05:54 AM
I cant say that Petko is the best since Graf because Graf was WAY more successive as a German than Petko.....but if Petko can either win a GS or jus make history then were talking......but yea i dont think so

Mike81
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Sabine is the best

Monzanator
Aug 6th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Considering Lisicki lost almost the entire 2010 thru injury, her rise to the outskirts of Top 20 is far more impressive. Based on Charleston 2009 final and what has Wozniacki achieved since then, the ammount of ground she lost is very big. I'm pretty sure Lisicki will be hailed as the best German of this generation, it's a matter of time.

GreenGrass
Aug 6th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Lisicki > Petkovic >>> Goerges

Graf~Dokic
Aug 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
I would say that Petkovic is the best German since Anke Huber.

Purple_Rain
Aug 6th, 2011, 02:22 PM
If Petkovic wins San Diego, half of the people who said Lisicki will change their minds.

JackFrost
Aug 6th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Lisicki > Petkovic >>> Goerges
It´s always a matter of timing, when you ask the question "Wo is better.." "will have a better career" etc.
Ask people after a winning streak of a player, than that player will have many supporters. Ask after slump or losing streak, and the same player is the biggest loser. :rolleyes:

BlueTrees
Aug 6th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I cant say that Petko is the best since Graf because Graf was WAY more successive as a German than Petko.....but if Petko can either win a GS or jus make history then were talking......but yea i dont think so

Do you understand what the word "since" means? :confused: