PDA

View Full Version : Who has the better Backhand? Wozniacki or Jankovic?

SwingVolley93
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:52 AM
:confused:

Henpova
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:55 AM
JJ's is more a of a weapon...where Woz is i just very solid...

SwingVolley93
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:59 AM
IMO at their absolute bests, Jankovic's is much better.

Craig.
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
Sharapova.

The Dawntreader
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Jankovic by a country mile.

Brena
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:03 AM
:facepalm:
I'm ignoring this insulting question.

Vartan
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Jelena?

Ralph214
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:16 AM
No argument here ... :oh:

Matej
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Let´s split the difference: Wozniacki has slightly better CC backhand and Jelena has far better DTL backhand.

And what about their forehands? Whose forehand is worse? :-)) Probably Wozniacki´s, but Jelena´s forehand is not very good either.

Miss Amor
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:34 AM
The Woz can hit winners with her BH at will!

Just look at this :-

Jankovic hits 2 bh dtls, the Woz is untroubled; then the Woz just hits 1 bh stroke and BAM!! winner.

http://i54.tinypic.com/1zwhyz7.jpg

Same thing again, stunning winner :bowdown: -

http://i54.tinypic.com/672xc9.jpg

Clutch :bowdown: on sps and everything.

Matej
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:40 AM

Saying "at will" would be appropriate, if Wozz could hit like 20 backhand winners regularly in each match. In actual fact, it´ s usually something like 5-7 backhand winners during a match.

Josh.
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:45 AM

Are you joking with this? Because if not.. :unsure:

Miss Amor
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Saying "at will" would be appropriate, if Wozz could hit like 20 backand winners regularly in each match. In actual fact, it´ s usually something like 5-7 backand winners during a match.

You obviously a hater.

Are you joking with this? Because if not.. :unsure:

It was intended, she hit it in such a way that it would hit the net and drop on JJ's side. Its all measured and perfect. Piotr fist pumping after that winner shows that he had trained Wozniacki to hit such shots.

Josh.
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:48 AM
It was intended, she hit it in such a way that it would hit the net and drop on JJ's side. Its all measured and perfect :bounce:

Oh of course, how could I have mistaken that. :oh:

Slutiana
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Seriously. How rude.

MB.
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Are we talking peak or current form?

I guess it doesn't matter, JaJa's is better in both.

Potato
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
This is insulting to the JJ fanbase :o

Ryusuke Tenma
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Wozniacki.

More solid, consistent and can get just as much power as Jankovic's.

starin
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:18 AM
wozniacki and it's not even close

Bonfire
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Wozniacki

JJ all the way
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:22 AM
all I have to say is this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtKTzYI0T0
(1:54)

sammy01
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:23 AM
jj's weight transference into her backhand is miles better. jj hits a much better closed stance backhand to. woz does get a lot of left had on her backhand which enables her to hit it crosscourt with decent angle (not angle on a clijsters level though).

jbeacinu
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:30 AM
all I have to say is this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtKTzYI0T0
(1:54)

You beat me to this :p

but the answer to the poll is JJ, and I'm not sure why this is even a poll:o

Sund7101
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:40 AM
JJ can actually hit through the court with her backhand. :shrug:

Potato
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:44 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/AJB4/Animated%20GIFs/jbkhkh.gif

Here you can see that Wozniacki has more pace, depth, and precision in her backhand than anyone else in the history of the WTA tour. :oh:

JJ all the way
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:47 AM
This is off topic - but I've heard commentators say that Wozniaki has a great serve....I DONT SEE IT!!! It's solid but it's not amazing........ some might even argue that (hold your breath) JJ has an equal or better serve............

Brena
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Wozniacki.

wozniacki and it's not even close

Wozniacki

Just like I said - Woz's fanbase has a lot of posters with a great sense of humour. :)

MB.
Mar 29th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Wozniacki.

It's only been a few days, but I think you already have a mile lead for the 2011 TWAT award :wavey:

Beny
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Wozniacki´s backhand brought her to No.1 ranking.

Wozniacki´s backhand is much better than Jankovic´s

SwingVolley93
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Just like I said - Woz's fanbase has a lot of posters with a great sense of humour. :)

I AM DEFINANTLY NOT A FAN OF WOZNIACKI :fiery:

KBlade
Mar 29th, 2011, 04:53 AM
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m142/AJB4/Animated%20GIFs/jbkhkh.gif

Here you can see that Wozniacki has more pace, depth, and precision in her backhand than anyone else in the history of the WTA tour. :oh:

This :happy:

faboozadoo15
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:02 AM
JJ's for sure. The reason Caroline has found a bit more success is because of smart serving and possessing a little more grit than Jankovic.

KBlade
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:23 AM
I wonder what Jankovic would've been playing like today if she hadn't tried to bulk up at the beginning of 2009 and subsequently lost all of her confidence.

JJ all the way
Mar 29th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Wozniacki´s backhand brought her to No.1 ranking.

Wozniacki´s backhand is much better than Jankovic´s

Jankovic's backhand also got her to no.1 - what's your point?

PMBH
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:17 AM
Jankovic's backhand also got her to no.1 - what's your point?

JJ's backhand may be a better offensive weapon than Caro's. But Caro's backhand is way more consistent and hence wins her many more tennis matches. Perhaps that's why Caro has already achieved more than Jelena career wise despite being almost 6 years younger...?

JJ all the way
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:33 AM
JJ's backhand may be a better offensive weapons than Caro's. But Caro's backhand is way more consistent and hence wins her many more tennis matches. Perhaps that's why Caro has already achieved more than Jelena career wise despite being almost 6 years younger...?

Hmm this is debatable - both have one final
Jelena has more semi-finals (5>2)
Jelena has more tier I (6>5)
Caro has more weeks at no.1, both year ending no.1

They both are pretty similar if you ask me. However, I do think that Caro has more time to make a better career than jelena ....

tea
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:39 AM
So am I.

PMBH
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Hmm this is debatable - both have one final
Jelena has more semi-finals (5>2)
Jelena has more tier I (6>5)
Caro has more weeks at no.1, both year ending no.1

They both are pretty similar if you ask me. However, I do think that Caro has more time to make a better career than jelena ....

OK, fair point. They're approximately at the same level now but Caro has the upper hand when it comes to the long-term prospects.

doooma6816
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
What a question...:facepalm:

Jelenka!

QuietPlease
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Caro wasn't any good yesterday, but normally I'd say she has the better backhand.

Capriati Rules
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Jankovic's backhand down the line is one of the best and most powerful shots in tennis no question

Tezuka.
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Jankovic and it's not even close.

GoofyDuck
Mar 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
So am I.

Jelena BH>>>>>>>>>> Petko BH >>>>>>>> Wozniacki BH ;)

VeeJJ
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Jelena's Backhand, definitely. It has more power, it's more effortless and natural as well as consistent. But the most important reason why and the reason it is a weapon for her is because she change change an entire point with it; she can turn an defensive point into an offense point, even if she is awkwardly positioned she hits that shot so cleanly that the ball will go where ever see wants it. And with her great body transfer on the shot it has good pace behind it as well. That shot combined with her movement is how she can can the momentum of a point in an instant. A lot of people talk about her BHDTL but I think her Insideout Backhand is more of signature shot for her. I don't really see other players do it. She does it all the time. Her backhand is so nicely disguise that you really don't know where she'll hit it.

Caro's is solid and good shot don't get me wrong, but it's not as good or better than Jelena's.

tea
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Jelena BH>>>>>>>>>> Petko BH >>>>>>>> Wozniacki BH ;)

:lol: Let's assume you're right. We are getting a system of inequalities:

JJ BH > Petko BH > Woz BH - your insight
JJ FH > Woz FH; Petko FH > Woz FH - generally known fact than Woz's FH is the worst groundstroke ever

Let's also take that Rankings(X) is inversely proportional function of X BH + X FH, so the better combination gives player X higher rankings spot.

Our system explicitly leading to:
Rankings(JJ) > Rankings(Woz); Rankings(Petko) > Rankings(Woz)

Substituting Rankings with numbers from that table at wtatour.com website:
#7 rank > #1 rank; #23 rank > #1 rank

Question: where we went wrong?;)

Safe-From-Harm
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:39 AM

JJ FH > Woz FH; Petko FH > Woz FH - generally known fact than Woz's FH is the worst groundstroke ever

Let's also take that Rankings(X) is inversely proportional function of X BH + X FH, so the better combination gives player X higher rankings spot.

:unsure:

:eek:

tea
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:45 AM
:unsure:

:eek:
:speakles:

the better your FH+BH the closer to #1 you are- shock:eek:

bandabou
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM
No contest...Jankovic. People are so quick to forget, sure she's slipped a lot recently..but even last year she totally made Caro look like an amateur. Jankovic's dtl backhand is a nightmare!

Caro is the better player at the moment..but pure talent-wise, Jankovic is just the perfect antidote for players like Caro.

MaBaker
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Jelena's BH is a joy to watch and one of the best (if not the best) on the tour, it's ridiculous to compare Wozniacki's MBH with Jelena's.

Beat
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:50 AM
IMO at their absolute bests, Jankovic's is much better.

if that's the question - another "peak" poll then, i guess - you should put it this way. hge difference between "right now" and "peak".

GoofyDuck
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:51 AM

maybe netplay!
hmmm, but Jankovic not so good at the net aswell.

The Dawntreader
Mar 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
jj's weight transference into her backhand is miles better. jj hits a much better closed stance backhand to. woz does get a lot of left had on her backhand which enables her to hit it crosscourt with decent angle (not angle on a clijsters level though).

I'm gonna have to challenge you to not mention Saint Sin in every single post:o:lol:

Safe-From-Harm
Mar 29th, 2011, 09:18 AM
:speakles:

the better your FH+BH the closer to #1 you are- shock:eek:

I won`t say that tennis JUST BH and FH.
There are net play, speed, stamina, and so on...
And of course being consistant.

I would say Caroline BH is more consistant, but Jelena is better and more effective.
I would not compare this to ranking system.

Sombrerero loco
Mar 29th, 2011, 09:28 AM

Jankovic hits 2 bh dtls, the Woz is untroubled; then the Woz just hits 1 bh stroke and BAM!! winner.

love it :hearts:

kitb
Mar 29th, 2011, 09:29 AM
This thread reminds me how much I love JJ's backhand. Undoubtedly one of the best shots in modern tennis history in my honest opinion.
Wish we could see more of it again, instead of having to turn the Xbox/PS3 on and hit those beautiful backhands down the line/inside out in a game.

bandabou
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM
love it :hearts:

weak forehand of Jankovic..but Caro nailed the backhand. Nice.

gc-spurs
Mar 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Their BHs contributed in making them the forerunners of worst no. 1 ever.

Linguae^
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Jelena's, of course. Wozniacka rarely even dares to use it, she is so afraid to hit. :p

Apoleb
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:11 PM
JJ's backhand by far. It's the only thing that makes her life worth living. I remember seeing her against Venus in 2006 Wimbledon on a smaller court, and it was apparent to me that this shot is something special and will take her far. It's also one of the most aesthetically pleasing strokes on the tour. She has perfect coordination going into the shot and timing.

Wozniacki's backhand is also no joke though. It's one of the best retrieving shots on the tour. It's not really a "weapon" but it allows her to keep very good depth regardless of what the opponent throws at her and is not exactly a moon ball. If her forehand was anything like her backhand, who knows where she'd take women's tennis. :o

bandabou
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
JJ's backhand by far. It's the only thing that makes her life worth living. I remember seeing her against Venus in 2006 Wimbledon on a smaller court, and it was apparent to me that this shot is something special and will take her far. It's also one of the most aesthetically pleasing strokes on the tour. She has perfect coordination going into the shot and timing.

Wozniacki's backhand is also no joke though. It's one of the best retrieving shots on the tour. It's not really a "weapon" but it allows her to keep very good depth regardless of what the opponent throws at her and is not exactly a moon ball. If her forehand was anything like her backhand, who knows where she'd take women's tennis. :o

Good point about Caro's backhand...it's amazing how many gets she can get from the backhand side. Alas..nothing more than a 'retrieving' shot, it's just her game.

toxina90
Mar 29th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Didn't that SP backhand just make it over the net and roll over? :o

Miss Amor
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Didn't that SP backhand just make it over the net and roll over? :o

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liqr0tE5cU1qc9hwt.gif

justine schnyder
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:24 PM
JJ. By far.

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Right now, I would take Caro's. When Jankovic was at her peak in the fall of 2008, I would take that.
Overall for their careers, it depends what they do the rest of the way

GoofyDuck
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd8XVlhSV1c

For those that have not yet made their mind up :inlove:

CWTennis
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Caroline, Lindsay agrees! :)

dHhHrcHhqYA

BepaMaria
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Wozniacki doesn't have a backhand, so I would say Jankovic

bandabou
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:27 PM

Ah mannn...that backhand really killed Serena on that day. :worship:

MaBaker
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM

I can't remember which poster said it, but it was something like 'You know it's coming, but you can't do anything about it'. That BHDTL is brilliant.

Daruma.
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:31 PM
As if Poorzniacki fans haven't ridiculed themselves enough, they still come in and say that Poorzniacki has a better backhand? I mean, seriously, you guys are funny.

GoofyDuck
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I can't remember which poster said it, but it was something like 'You know it's coming, but you can't do anything about it'. That BHDTL is brilliant.

and its true!

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 29th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Jaja's Backhand really is one of the best weapons in modern tennis, like someone else mentioned, though Caro's is great too.

MB.
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:28 PM
As if Poorzniacki fans haven't ridiculed themselves enough, they still come in and say that Poorzniacki has a better backhand? I mean, seriously, you guys are funny.

They would do better to open up threads like "Who has a better lob--Radwanska or Wozniacki?"

Learn your place, peasants.

Beat
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:42 AM
i watched jankovic's match against petkovic with this thread in mind and must conclude that the whole "what an insultig question" hoopla is complete rubbish. sure, peak jelena's back hand is technically perfect and a very good shot - but when is that ever the case? if it really was that much better than wozniacki's, wouldn't she have better results than wozniacki (seeing that wozniackis FH is also universally slaughtered)?

tea
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:51 AM
i watched jankovic's match against petkovic with this thread in mind and must conclude that the whole "what an insultig question" hoopla is complete rubbish. sure, peak jelena's back hand is technically perfect and a very good shot - but when is that ever the case? if it really was that much better than wozniacki's, wouldn't she have better results than wozniacki (seeing that wozniackis FH is also universally slaughtered)?
Haha I've been directing them to wtatour.com/rankings webpage every time that another bright one starts "Player X has better Y shot than Woz" polemic.:lol: Wish they were teachable though...

Daruma.
Mar 30th, 2011, 01:39 PM

Haha I've been directing them to wtatour.com/rankings webpage every time that another bright one starts "Player X has better Y shot than Woz" polemic.:lol: Wish they were teachable though...

You two think that if a player has a better shot, he/she should be ranked higher? You guys know nothing about tennis. Because what makes you win a match is actually mixture of all of your abilities, not just ball-hitting. It's constructing points, deffending and offending, mixing your shots and all. Those who can do all these things at once can achieve big results and be ranked really high. But unfortunately those who can't combine their ball-hitting ability with athleticism and good game plan, usually end up as an underachieved players.

If your theory was right, we could easily say that Schiavone has a better forehand than Stosur, now that she has a slam and is ranked higher than Stosur. Does it make any sense to you?

... and finally, Jelena Jankovic has a much better backhand than Caroline Wozniacki, it's as simple as that. You don't have to defend your fave all the time, just face the fact that he/she may have weaknesses like every other player.