PDA

View Full Version : Official: Welcome back to the top 10 Ma$ha!

QuietPlease
Mar 25th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Now it's official! Maria will be back in the top 10 on monday. First time since january 2009.

1 Caroline Wozniacki 9740
2 Kim Clijsters 8145
3 Vera Zvonareva 7815 (SF)
4 Francesca Schiavone 5171
5 Sam Stosur 4606
6 Na Li 4300
7 Jelena Jankovic 4155
8 Victoria Azarenka 3920 (SF)
9 Maria Sharapova 3476 (SF)
10 Serena Williams 3035
-----------------------------------
11 Shahar Peer 3030
12 Marion Bartoli 2925
13 Agnieszka Radwanska 2860
14 Svetlana Kuznetsova 2800
15 Venus Williams 2765
16 Kaia Kanepi 2760
17 Ana Ivanovic 2750
18 Petra Kvitova 2743
19 Andrea Petkovic 2735 (SF)
20 Flavia Pennetta 2730
21 Anastasia Pavlyochenkova 2490
22 Nadia Petrova 2405
23 Yanina Wickmayer 2300
24 Aravane Rezai 2280
25 Dominika Cibulkova 2175
26 Alisa Kleybanova 2165
27 Alexandra Dulgheru 2155

claypova
Mar 25th, 2011, 08:41 AM
:weirdo::tape:

but if it does happen, omfg so happy :sobbing:

thegreendestiny
Mar 25th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Wow, this IS the biggest achievement in her second career. :tape:

:worship:

madmax
Mar 25th, 2011, 08:52 AM

:yawn: I could care less about her ranking - I just want her to start winning slams again. Rankings are overrated anyway

TennisFan66
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Pova top 10 :worship:

tea
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Well done, Masha.:yeah: Keep on climbing.

On a sad note, observing current ##3-5 hurt my eyes. Would love Sharapova in top 3, with Janka Aza following, and something must desperately be done to get rid of some flukes in current top 5.:facepalm:

Mr.Sharapova
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Maria :yeah:. Entering the top 10 while winning the tittle here would be awesome :angel:

Six Feet Under
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:18 AM

On a sad note, observing current ##3-5 hurt my eyes. Would love Sharapova in top 3, with Janka Aza following, and something must desperately be done to get rid of some flukes in current top 5.:facepalm:

:facepalm:

I know your just a troll, but im boreeeeeed.

Vera is one of the most underrated player on here. Easily deserved of #3 spot.
Fran > Azarenka
JJ could be in top 5, instead of sam but the rankings dont lie, you should know ;)

Londoner
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Wow, it seems an eternity since Maria seemed to be the big new thing. 7 years this year since the Wimbledon win. So many (including commentators and retired players like Seles) said she was going to be the new dominant player. 3 slams is not inconsiderable but I myself thought she would have surpassed the likes of Hingis, Henin and Seles. It just goes to show - with the WTA you can never predict.

It would be great to have Maria back as a major contender - more the merrier. But the jury must be out at the moment. Anyway, a climb in the rankings is the right direction so good luck to her.

On a separate note, agree with others who say Vera is underrated. There is a slam in there I'm sure!

Kworb
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:30 AM
It's been a long road but she's heading back to the top.

tea
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Vera is one of the most underrated player on here. Easily deserved of #3 spot.
Fran > Azarenka
JJ could be in top 5, instead of sam but the rankings dont lie, you should know ;)
I'd say overrated. Never understood why the player of fairly mediocre abilities has so many fans. Neither she's good looking so that at least somehow justify huge fans brigade. Mystery to me.
I like Schiava but she's typical example of what they call fluke. I have no worries Roland Garros will fix this little bug in the rankings. Aza is the future, apparently not as bright as her BFFs but still possibly good.
Rankings never lie, agree.:p That's why I'm not completely satisfied with the true state of facts that rankings showing atm.

claypova
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I'd say overrated. Never understood why the player of fairly mediocre abilities has so many fans. Neither she's good looking so that at least somehow justify huge fans brigade. Mystery to me.
I like Schiava but she's typical example of what they call fluke. I have no worries Roland Garros will fix this little bug in the rankings. Aza is the future, apparently not as bright as her BFFs but still possibly good.
Rankings never lie, agree.:p That's why I'm not completely satisfied with the true state of facts that rankings showing atm.

vera, kim, sam and fran are all holding a GS final though :happy:

KapitalL
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:43 AM
3x 4th and 1x 3rd round in the GSs, 1 MM title in Strassbourg on clay :lol: and 3 finals (Birminham, Stanford and Cincinnati, that's what got her there :confused:

strange that thats enough to get to a top 10 :unsure: but then again looking at who is at 11-20 not that strange :lol:

MiiMo
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM
The best thing with this news ?
She got only 5 points to defend until Madrid.
As we know she is playing Charleston, Rome and Madrid. This is quite promising.
Hope she'll be back in Strasbourg to keep her title. I think she won't, though...

tea
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
Care to enlighten what are you laughing at?:confused:

That fact you are so happy about shows that tennis, as all-year sport, has great rankings system, that properly filters out players with only some random final appearances from people who really worked all year, worked on the same top level, won most matches than anyone etc...:yeah:

claypova
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:54 AM

That fact you are so happy about shows that tennis, as all-year sport, has great rankings system, that properly filters out players with only some random final appearances from people who really worked all year, worked on the same top level, won most matches than anyone etc...:yeah:

cos you say they dont desserve their top 5, when they all have GS finals to their rankings :wavey:

s_j
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM
A top 8 seeding/ranking for RG is looking more and more likely! :bounce:

Kəv.
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM
seriously :hysteric:

Lucemferre
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Serena:rocker: Fighting for top 10 without playing :worship:

QuietPlease
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM

This is actually why I think Vera deserves her ranking. She has shown great consistancy compared to the ones ranked behind her!

L'Enfant Sauvage
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:14 AM
This is just :inlove:

Otlichno
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Cara..:bigcry:

nevetssllim
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I think Serena deserves to maintain her top-10 ranking. She hasn't lost a match for so many months now.

TennisFan66
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:23 AM

A slam final is 1,400 points. That alone is not enough to become a top 10 player.

Mashabator
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Maria :cheer:

burn
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:48 AM
:rolls:

claypova
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:01 AM
A slam final is 1,400 points. That alone is not enough to become a top 10 player.

so? they all have achieved consistent results to earn themselves a top 5 spot. Caro isn't the only one, you know :wavey:

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Maria earned it with Cincy, Stanford finals & IW SF, and 2 other titles.
I think Sveta will get in either from Miami or during clay

Sharapovian
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:27 AM
If it happens great :yeah:

KBlade
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I think Serena deserves to maintain her top-10 ranking. She hasn't lost a match for so many months now.

This :happy:

joo.
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
The clay season couldn't come any sooner.

The Witch-king
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:30 PM

is it an acheivement when is given to you by default

SVK
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:35 PM

Actually...it looks like Schiavone will stay TOP 10 even if she will lose R1 :p
(Of course it also depends on her results since this until RG)

QuietPlease
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM

:lol: Good one :lol:

Actually she might :eek:
But I doubt it :secret:

Steven.
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:49 PM
is it an acheivement when is given to you by default

elaborate?

Lachy
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
:oh: Well done Masha.

bandabou
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Took waay too long, Masha! But not shim of what she used to be.

tennisforadults
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:37 PM

She may be the future once she starts working out how to pass a Grand Slam QF. At this moment, hell no.

Schiavone and Stosur both had outstanding clay seasons last year. Whether they remain where they are will largely depend on their clay results this year.

Zvonareva is #3 because she currently holds two Slam finals, an achievement that would make our World No. 1 envious. ;)

Danapova
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Maria already had a chance last year in Cincinnati to reach the top 10, let's hope she grabs it this time!

tea
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:17 PM
She may be the future once she starts working out how to pass a Grand Slam QF. At this moment, hell no.

Schiavone and Stosur both had outstanding clay seasons last year. Whether they remain where they are will largely depend on their clay results this year.

Zvonareva is #3 because she currently holds two Slam finals, an achievement that would make our World No. 1 envious. ;)
Yeah yeah la la la, all that I know. Last time I checked Aza was still 21, so she's got some time left to pass a GS QF. Especially when after Olympics there will be a wave of retirements, she will find her top place on tour for sure.

Hmmm not for the first time there's a feeling that you guys a liiittle bit exaggerate slam final appearance's value. As TennisFan66 rightly said it's just 1400 points, sense what fraction of Caro's 10k it makes?:lol:

Oh the envious word reminded me of this recent comment:
Ive won quite a few tournaments the last year and I feel like Im playing great tennis at the moment, she said during a news conference for the Sony Ericsson Open, which began Tuesday. I feel I deserve to be where I am.

Im 20 and No. 1. A lot of people want to be in my footsteps.
Maybe it's just me, but if to choose, I'd be envious of Caro than someone's random slam's final, even 2 finals, even 4.;)

heart
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Yeah yeah la la la, all that I know. Last time I checked Aza was still 21, so she's got some time left to pass a GS QF. Especially when after Olympics there will be a wave of retirements, she will find her top place on tour for sure.

Hmmm not for the first time there's a feeling that you guys a liiittle bit exaggerate slam final appearance's value. As TennisFan66 rightly said it's just 1400 points, sense what fraction of Caro's 10k it makes?:lol:

Oh the envious word reminded me of this recent comment:

Maybe it's just me, but if to choose, I'd be envious of Caro than someone's random slam's final, even 2 finals, even 4.;)
seriously, you just try as hard as the caro haters. :facepalm:

anyways congrats masha!:kiss:

Shivank17
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
It's been long time.
And the ranking is important for Maria,I hope she is seeded inside top 8 at RG.
Cause then she wont play a top 4 player till the QFs ,which will make it easier for Maria. :bounce:

cellophane
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Peer is going to be top 10 soon :hysteric:

Reptilia
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM
took SO much longer than I thought it would. Hopefully she's on the right track now :D

Reptilia
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:41 PM
It's been long time.
And the ranking is important for Maria,I hope she is seeded inside top 8 at RG.
Cause then she wont play a top 4 player till the QFs ,which will make it easier for Maria. :bounce:

True, she'll probably draw Serena though :o

!VamosRafa!
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Finally:bounce::bounce::bounce:
I'm so happy:banana::banana::banana:
She has 445 points to defend in the clay court season(including the FO)so it seems reasonable enough to stay in the top 10.
Madrid-R1
Strasbourg-title
FO-R3
Hopefully she will win a lot of points during the cc season and improve her ranking!
Also,she could win some points in Toronto(she withdrew last year)and Tokyo(R1).The main ranking problem during the last few months was the fact that she was defending a final in Montreal from 2009 and a win in Tokyo,but she only won 1 point in those 2 tournaments and she was defending 1520:sad:
I could definitely see her playing YEC this year:drool:

TennisFan66
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
so? they all have achieved consistent results to earn themselves a top 5 spot. Caro isn't the only one, you know :wavey:

Did I anywhere say top 5 players didnt? You were the one putting such great value of a slam final (at least right now. I suspect it changes with what your own faves have done and what the players you don't like have done. Moving target). Bottom line, a slam final is 1,400 points. It's ONE tournament out of many on the year. Good points but that alone is not enough to reach top 10; let alone top 5. Neither does it come with a God given divine right for a top 10 ranking forever. Even if a player wins a holy grail slam, 53 weeks later it means NOTHING for her ranking.

One the other hand, you can reach top 10 and also top 5, even top 1, without a slam final. Neither is it a mandatory requirement to reach an ITF slam final to score points for a WTA ranking. Anyhoo, this discussion is a repeat of 1000s other already been on this board. Getting tired to read the same over and over again.

It all boils down to whom your faves are and whom you don't like. Then arguements are simply flexed to that order.

MB.
Mar 25th, 2011, 04:12 PM

If you're referring to Sam and Fran, they're hardly flukes...Although, they'll likely both take a hit after RG unless their form improves a bit from what it's been recently (at least, in Sam's case).

I agree with other posters that the rankings seem a bit odd. #11-20 just seems out of sorts. WTA could definitely use some more consistency and some order restored...are you listening, Serena?

Anyways, congrats Masha on your return to the top 10. I guess. Build your ranking so you can start getting some decent draws.

Patrick345
Mar 25th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Thats easy to explain. You are a fan of a tremendously talented supermodel that happens to play tennis. So how should you understand fans of ugly gremlins with little actual tennis ability? :confused:

Break My Rapture
Mar 25th, 2011, 04:32 PM
If it happens..

GET IT MARIA. :hearts: Finally back in, it really shows how much injuries hold her back. If she hadn't been injured so much she could have already been higher than #9 (more momentum and tournaments).

Vikapower
Mar 25th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Good for Maria... but I think she cares less and only winning a bigger event again will satisfy... being in the top 10 is more for comfort sakes and as she seems to be beating the scrubs again then this should facilitate her better in the draws.

Actually...it looks like Schiavone will stay TOP 10 even if she will lose R1 :p
(Of course it also depends on her results since this until RG)

The real problem isn't Franny Schiavone being a top 10 player... the problem is her being overranked and she's in no ways a top 3-5 player in my regards... RG should put her back where she deserves between the {8...20} rank.

BepaMaria
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Happy for Maria that she is finally back in the top 10. She looks to be slowly regaining form and hopefully very soon she can return to No.1 in the world and get Pushniacki who is currently undeservedly hogging the #1 spot out of there.

Tennis Observer
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Well done, Masha.:yeah: Keep on climbing!

pokey camp
Mar 25th, 2011, 05:40 PM
:yeah: Very well deserved.

klever58
Mar 25th, 2011, 06:03 PM
she belongs there :)

Ryan
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM

:sobbing: Win.

Ferg
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Win the title Marion :bowdown:

Vincey!
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Yay Maria :hearts: Dunno what it says about the state of the WTA, cuz Maria is so up and down lately. I'm happy she's sthere back in the top ten and is constantly improving lately so I'm happy :D

Brooks.
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:09 PM
If it happens..

GET IT MARIA. :hearts: Finally back in, it really shows how much injuries hold her back. If she hadn't been injured so much she could have already been higher than #9 (more momentum and tournaments).

If she could actually get past the 4th round at a slam, she would ranked a lot higher.

Her slam performances the last two/three years leave a lot to be desired.

tennisforadults
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Did I anywhere say top 5 players didnt? You were the one putting such great value of a slam final (at least right now. I suspect it changes with what your own faves have done and what the players you don't like have done. Moving target). Bottom line, a slam final is 1,400 points. It's ONE tournament out of many on the year. Good points but that alone is not enough to reach top 10; let alone top 5. Neither does it come with a God given divine right for a top 10 ranking forever. Even if a player wins a holy grail slam, 53 weeks later it means NOTHING for her ranking.

One the other hand, you can reach top 10 and also top 5, even top 1, without a slam final. Neither is it a mandatory requirement to reach an ITF slam final to score points for a WTA ranking. Anyhoo, this discussion is a repeat of 1000s other already been on this board. Getting tired to read the same over and over again.

This simply proves that your fellow Caro fan tea's assertion that #3 - #5 are flukes is terribly misguided. Vera, Fran and Sam have produced consistent results over an entire year to be ranked that high. Roland Garros is not going to "fix the bug".

Sp!ffy
Mar 26th, 2011, 12:46 AM
:sobbing:

NeoZod19
Mar 26th, 2011, 01:21 AM
I don't know why we should just settle for Maria being in TOP 10. She has been in a much better position . I'll be happy when she starts playing consistently.:rolleyes:

Renalicious
Mar 26th, 2011, 01:43 AM
This is good for tennis, but I have no idea how it happened since she always seems to be crashing out in the 4r stage of like every tournament. :lol: (Bar IW)

QuietPlease
Mar 27th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I updated the first post. Top ten almost secured...

Ryusuke Tenma
Mar 27th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Sharapova nearing the top 10 again? :o

I'd much rather if she wasn't anywhere near it.

QuietPlease
Mar 28th, 2011, 07:37 PM
To miss the top 10 after Miami two others have to pass Maria. :shrug:

Five women still have a chance of passing her.
This is how each can pass Maria, if Maria loses QF:

Bartoli F
Aga F
Ana F
Anastasia W
Andrea W

Chances of two of them achieving that (and Maria losing next match) are slim. :oh:

It's almost official now.

2 of the above 5 players must overtake Maria, otherwise she is top 10.
All 5 must reach at least F to pass Maria. 4 of them are in the bottom half, Andrea is in the top half. So the only way Maria will miss top 10 is if Andrea wins the tournament, beating Marion, Aga or Ana in the final!

If Maria wins her QF top 10 is secured. Because then Andrea can't pass her.

Miracle Worker
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Who cares about Maria :p

Serena can back to TOP 10 :spit:

Paldias
Mar 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM
I'd rather have her beating over-ranked players in Grand Slams and going deep in Grand Slams rather than winning matches on the scrub level (IW, Miami) etc.

QuietPlease
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Congrats :aparty:

gc-spurs
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I'd rather have her beating over-ranked players in Grand Slams and going deep in Grand Slams rather than winning matches on the scrub level (IW, Miami) etc.

IW and Miami are soooooooo scrub.

thegreendestiny
Mar 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Thank you for saving WTA Maria from potential Shahar abomination. :rocker:

Otlichno
Mar 30th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Oh God! Cara! :hysteric:

Shivank17
Mar 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Top 10 officially secured now.
:woohoo:

Kitten63
Mar 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Finally :woohoo:

WTAtennisfan15
Mar 30th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Masha was in Top 10 for 239 weeks in a row until January 2009 :sobbing:
Now, Maria stay there for another 200 weeks in a row!

Tennis Ball
Mar 30th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Welcome back, Sharpie. :) Normalizing the WTA, thanks.

StrippedToBasics
Mar 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Finally, took her long enough though. :]