PDA

View Full Version : Did Peer miss her chance for Top Ten?

Navratil
Mar 25th, 2011, 08:32 AM
She was almost there...

If only Marion Bartoli didn't reach the Indian Wells final, Peer would have been Top Ten last monday. That was so close but now it's so far away because she is actually struggeling with her form all year.

Always tough to peak at # 11 cause it makes such a difference being a Top Ten player.

Will she have a chance again to get there or is she going south from now on?

thegreendestiny
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Thank goodness. Peer entering the top 10 would be like adding salt to a wound.

ElusiveChanteuse
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Probably will be the same problem with A. Radwanska entering the top 10.

gc-spurs
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Thank goodness. Peer entering the top 10 would be like adding salt to a wound.

It would be like being homeless and then being spat on.

s_j
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I never like to think that you only ever have one chance to achieve something, but now with Maria re-entering the top 10 and Marion/Svetlana hot on the heels, it seems fairly likely that Shahar has well and truly missed her best opportunity... But who's to say she won't have another stab at it?

skanky~skanketta
Mar 25th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Shahar has worked hard to get where she is. So for all the morons insulting her, put a cork in it please.

I believe that she may enter the top ten later on, but she needs to be a little more consistent. She did a really good job at IW, so maybe she could do the same during the claycourt season. She's a big fighter and if she gets there, it would be well deserved.

young_gunner913
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:29 AM
For the moment, yeah she blew her chance. I haven't been convinced with her at all this year. She's had some good matches but she's definitely not at where she was last year. I honestly think this all has to do with her coach Pablo not being able to work with her anymore. She has the oppertunity to win matches but she's just not mentally tough enough to close out close matches. Pablo was a great coach to watch during on court moments because he wouldn't let her say "I can't." And he was brutually honest with her which is what she needs. I'll always remember when he told her once to stop sticking her ass out so much when she served. :lol:

She won't be top 10 for a while maybe, not with the kind of form she's in. However, there's no saying she couldn't do it towards the end of the year or even next year cause she's aint got shit to defend.

Bosco123
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Yes she did. Losing to AMG was the last straw.:rolleyes:

Londoner
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:40 AM
If she got there or gets there then she deserves it. But would she have been a top 10 player 10 years ago?

Kworb
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:47 AM
I don't know why she gets so much hate. She is a solid top 20 player. Not a huge surprise if she sneaks in a few weeks in the top 10. It's not like she has this ranking because of one or two fluke results. She has a lot of QF and SF.

Linguae^
Mar 25th, 2011, 10:57 AM
She is totally useless, it would be a shame if she reaches Top 10 soon. :o

Mightymirza
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:38 AM
She plays well on clay.. She can do it.. But AMG loss was :help:

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2011, 11:54 AM
The loss to Anabel sounds like she got nervous, knowing she had a good chance.
It doesnt take many points, only about 1/3 of Caro's points.
So Peer will have other chances

Steadyniacki
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Maybe yes, she can really mix it with the big guns at her consistent best, so who knows.

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Losing to AMG OMG!!! :weirdo:

Sharapovian
Mar 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Probably this time, but that doesn't mean to say she won't have any chances in the future.

BlueTrees
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:17 PM
I hope so. :oh:

Dementieva_Dude
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think she'll sneak a few weeks in the top ten before the end of her career. She's not old, she's usually a fighter on court, and she's consistent, so I don't think it's impossible.

Personally, I don't appreciate the way she plays, but I appreciate the effort she puts in, and I don't really get all the hate...

OsloErik
Mar 25th, 2011, 01:55 PM
For a bit, maybe. But Jankovic and Stosur have quite a few points to defend during clay season, not to mention Schiavone's 2000 RG points, so there's some possible droppers coming in the next two months. Hell, Bartoli has 450 to defend THIS WEEK, plus about 500 on grass alone.

Peer's got a fair amount of points on clay, but not a really, really huge number (quarters and semis are repeatable). Where she can REALLY make a mark is the post-Wimbledon events. That's a surface and season that typically favors Peer and Peer-like players, and she hasn't got much to defend then.

The back end of the top 10 is very, very soft at the moment, and very fluid. Zvonareva, Clijsters, and Wonziacki are the only players that are really embedded. The ranking point distance between the world #20 and #5 is smaller than the difference between #4 and #3. A lot of things can happen during clay season.

I, for one, hope she makes it. Few players with her energy and spirit on court.

Lapaco
Mar 25th, 2011, 02:26 PM
at least one blasphemy hasn't eventualised.

Hian
Mar 26th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Losing to AMG OMG!!! :weirdo:

You seriously don't respect other players.
Cannot you retire from TF?

Uranus
Mar 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Which other active players peaked at #11?
I can think of Cornet and Wickmayer, then...

sunsfuns
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:06 PM

#12 is Yanina's career high, among active players Cornet is the only one who has peaked at #11.

But we have a nice thread about it: http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=299240

OsloErik
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM

I don't know about active, but there was a time when the career high ranking for Italian women as a whole was #11, reached by Silvia Farina-Elia, Flavia Pennetta, and Francesca Schiavone at three separate ranking weeks.

QuietPlease
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:51 AM
For a bit, maybe. But Jankovic and Stosur have quite a few points to defend during clay season, not to mention Schiavone's 2000 RG points, so there's some possible droppers coming in the next two months. Hell, Bartoli has 450 to defend THIS WEEK, plus about 500 on grass alone.

Peer's got a fair amount of points on clay, but not a really, really huge number (quarters and semis are repeatable). Where she can REALLY make a mark is the post-Wimbledon events. That's a surface and season that typically favors Peer and Peer-like players, and she hasn't got much to defend then.

The back end of the top 10 is very, very soft at the moment, and very fluid. Zvonareva, Clijsters, and Wonziacki are the only players that are really embedded. The ranking point distance between the world #20 and #5 is smaller than the difference between #4 and #3. A lot of things can happen during clay season.

I, for one, hope she makes it. Few players with her energy and spirit on court.

She's got 1055 points to defend from her 4 clay court events last year - over one third of her total, so that is quite huge actually!

Sharapova will probably return to the top 10 after Miami. And with Radwanska, Ivanovic, Bartoli and Sveta contending for top 10 I think it will be very tough for Peer. I suppose Venus will be back soon too. I hope so!

Obviously Peer is still quite young so she could make it later, but I don't think she'll make the top ten this year!

Navratil
Mar 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM
She's always been up and down... but I'll doubt she breaks into top ten now.

Dominika23
Mar 28th, 2011, 07:55 PM
i hope she did as well she gotta alot points coming up to defend this a huge miss chance in miami for her. she a good stable top 20 player. I like to see Radwanska back into the top ten and Ivanovic. but for first time ten player i think Wickmayer,Pavlyuchenkova,Cibulkova,Kleybanova will be better top ten players

Navratil
May 19th, 2011, 07:50 AM
So many times so close :D

Now it's going south for her...

Lord Choc Ice
May 19th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I hope so. :oh:

This.

thegreendestiny
May 19th, 2011, 10:53 AM
WTA deserves to be destroyed if she ever enters the top 10 like that. :o

Claycourter
May 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Peer entering the top 10 would be the worst player to get there since ATP's Fernando Fiasco.

Daniel
May 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
She will have more chances to enter top 10

Just Do It
May 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Yes and let's hope it stays like that. I don't want that big nose in the top 10.

Dominika23
Aug 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM
This will never happen NOW lol

BlueTrees
Aug 12th, 2011, 12:56 PM
US Open 4R and Beijing SF points coming off soon :inlove:

Pasta-Na
Aug 12th, 2011, 12:59 PM
shes still young :p

fouc
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:10 PM
She absolutely did. Once and for all. And this was one of the most dramatic, unbelievable misses I heard of.

Ferg
Aug 12th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Marion did the same thing to Wickmayer last year too, in Miami :inlove: Marion the saviour :bowdown: