PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova talks about Wozniacki and Hingis's style

Sammo
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:02 AM
Some questions from the interview:

Q. One of criticisms of Caroline's game is she can't hit a forehand for a winner. Is it a heavier ball than it looks from the outside?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: I don't think it really matters if you don't miss. I mean, then why do you need to hit winners?
No, she does have a heavy ball both off her -- I think she has a little bit more spin off the forehand, and she flattens out a backhand a little bit more. But, you know, she get in position for it, so she's never usually late. That says a lot about her footwork, I guess.

Q. Is she the most consistent player who still has power that you've ever faced, if you know what I mean? In terms of someone who is not just a puffball, but who is just so hard to hit through, a backboard, sort of that incredible defensive skills?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I had the pleasure of playing Hingis a few times, and, I mean, sometimes that was just -- that was difficult. (Laughter.)

Q. Depressing?
MARIA SHARAPOVA: No, it wasn't. No, I mean, playing against Hingis, it's kind of like a cat and mouse game out there. You know, you know you're not going to completely overpower her, and you just have to find, you know, little ways to, yeah, kind of outthink, like the mouse has to outthink the cat.
I don't know. I have always felt that against her. She has that great hand/eye coordination, and won here actually in Palm Springs -- or we had a three setter in the semis, I believe, and that was a really fun match.

cellophane
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:08 AM
Already been posted

Tennis Observer
Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:24 AM
Opener is part of Masha's Press Conference on 3/18/11 at Indian Wells (http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=19298205&postcount=2045) after she lost to Carloline Wozniacki 16 26.

So Disrespectful
Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:36 AM
The biggest difference is that Hingis was always working actively to turn the point in her favour, while Wozniacki feels more confident defending than needing to attack.

zurich62
Mar 22nd, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/tennis/2011/03/22/serving-up-a-martina-double-ace-100252-28379083/

hingis/navratilova at liverpool 2011

Sund7101
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:27 PM
The biggest difference is that Hingis was always working actively to turn the point in her favour, while Wozniacki feels more confident defending than needing to attack.

Exactly. They really play nothing alike. Hingis stood close to the baseline and tried to be offensive.

goldenlox
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:58 PM
Hingis was a prodigy, getting Hall of Fame results at 16.
Wozniacki is a slowly improving grinder, who keeps getting better results as she gets older.
What they have in common is that Hingis spent 4 full years at #1, 209 weeks.
Caroline at 20 is #1 for 6 months, and seems on the way to a long period as the #1

Protoss
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
Exactly. They really play nothing alike. Hingis stood close to the baseline and tried to be offensive.
Martina in her comeback didn't often try to be offensive. :shrug:

goldenlox
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
Martina was a great doubles player, great near the net. I never thought stamina was a strength for Martina. That AO final with Capriati, it seemed if Martina didnt win in 2, it was Jennifer's match. That's what Caroline does, wear you down.
They arent that much alike, except they both dont blast winners like Kleybanova.

Matt01
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Martina in her comeback didn't often try to be offensive. :shrug:

This is correct.

Kworb
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:50 PM

Not to mention Hingis could hit drop shots, lobs, volleys, half volleys, swing volleys and drop volleys.

Matt01
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:53 PM
Not to mention Hingis could hit drop shots, lobs, volleys, half volleys, swing volleys and drop volleys.

And Wozniacki can't?

Kworb
Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
And Wozniacki can't?

She tries but she is bad at it.

barmaid
Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM
And Wozniacki can't?

No, she can't...that one element is missing in her game at the moment...."variety"...did you see Bartoli demolish Caro 6-2 in their final match at IW? Marion drop-shotted her to death besides sending some screaming forehands down the line.

Barmaid:wavey:

Patrick345
Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
And Wozniacki can't?

Her lobs are good, which out of the list is the only defensive shot, so naturally she can play that. A dropshot or any kind of volley requires a player to take the initiative. Naturally she sucks at it.

kman
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:05 PM
No, she can't...that one element is missing in her game at the moment...."variety"...did you see Bartoli demolish Caro 6-2 in their final match at IW? Marion drop-shotted her to death besides sending some screaming forehands down the line.

Bartoli got her ass handed to her. She only came into the match when Caro started falling asleep.

Matt01
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:39 PM

You must be kidding me and that's all I'm going to say about this topic.

Break My Rapture
Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:33 PM
And Wozniacki can't?
I have, honestly, never even seen Wozniacki attempt hitting a dropshot.

And don't give me the argument that I barely watch Wozniacki because I dislike her. I watch most matches broadcasted by ES and since they constantly show Wozniacki I'd say I've seen plenty of her matches.

Bingain
Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have, honestly, never even seen Wozniacki attempt hitting a dropshot.

And don't give me the argument that I barely watch Wozniacki because I dislike her. I watch most matches broadcasted by ES and since they constantly show Wozniacki I'd say I've seen plenty of her matches.

I have seen it. I even think it was a match point. Don't remember when though. But yes it's extremely rare--so rare it's practically nonexistent. She's kind of contended with staying back doing what she does best. Variety is indeed lacking in her game, quite possibly because she doesn't need it so far. That's what Masha remarked--it didn't matter.

She'll have to when the field becomes competitive again.

goldenlox
Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Drop shots are high risk. Too short or too far & you gave the point away.
Whenever Dementieva would drop shot, it was almost always a bad thing

Moveyourfeet
Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Drop shots are high risk. Too short or too far & you gave the point away.
Whenever Dementieva would drop shot, it was almost always a bad thing

They are especially high risk when you don't have the feel to execute the shot. When you have the feel and execute it at the right time, it is rarely high risk.

That being said, Caro has a poor drop shot as well as poor slice. I'm aware it isn't her game to use those shots. Doesn't change the fact that she still sucks at the shots.

zurich62
Mar 24th, 2011, 02:18 PM
many exhibitions for martina hingis in may , june and july 2011

1 - buenos aires
2 - santiago de chili
3 - prague
4 - roland garros ( avec lindsay davenport )
5 - manchesters masters
6 - nottingham masters
7 - liverpool tennis
8 - wimbledon ( ladies double invitational )
9 - world team tennis
10 - marbella masters

http://kawai-hingis.skyrock.com

goldenlox
Mar 24th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I just read that Caroline said Hingis was a player she admired growing up.
I see a lot of differences. Especially that 1 is a prodigy at 16, the other is a grinder who keeps moving up the rankings each year.

zurich62
Apr 27th, 2011, 01:47 PM
many martina hingis news :) :)

exhibition very soon : this 02 may a prague itf against daja bedanova

http://kawai-hingis.skyrock.com/

http://www.cctennisworld.com/official-cc-news/item/156-ask-martina.html

petkoan
Apr 27th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Hingis is missed

Steven.
Apr 27th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Hingis is missed