PDA

View Full Version : French tennis star Marion Bartoli says she has an IQ of 175

monmonito
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/French-tennis-star-Marion-Bartoli-says-she-has-a?urn=ten-wp165

Balltossovic
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:07 PM
And?

Olórin
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:09 PM
Chris Chase's article/blog :o
The standard of journalism in sports is so pathetically low.

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:10 PM
And?

We all know it would be more interesting to know that Ana Ivanovic has the IQ of Mr. Potato

Apoleb
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
I think she is confusing her IQ with her weight.

le bon vivant
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM
ugh hes so bitchy, I wish he would get fired. lol

Marionated
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:18 PM

How orignial :worship:

I mean, I haven't just read about 50 posts just like this in the comments sections on the article page.

Aravanecaravan
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:19 PM
Gee, that's a half point higher than me!

Cp6uja
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM
Doctor says Marion that she is smatassest girl in the world. Than she come to home and googled fact that so far smartest Women have IQ=174.

So its obvious and clean misunderstanding. No big deal :shrug:

wildemu
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:31 PM
Chase is obviously feeling inferior to Bartoli and is insecure about it, but this doesn't help his case:

"On second that,"

What a clown, eat up your double digit IQ.

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
I think its a bit overestimated, but I'm sure she is incredibly smart. You can kinda feel it through her socially-off behaviour at times, her very different way of playing and trying things. A lot of the 'genius' people do have very different social abilities: she's got some Sheldon in her ;)

And BTW this is no bitching at all, I love me some Marion and she was a very adorable girl everytime I have seen her.

kman
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:35 PM
That's quite a bit more than Albert Einstein's estimated IQ. Don't believe it for a second.

Maybe she took a kiddie IQ test. Not a mensa IQ test.

The Witch-king
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM

:lol: I dead.

Marionated
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
That's quite a bit more than Albert Einstein's estimated IQ. Don't believe it for a second.

Maybe she took a kiddie IQ test. Not a mensa IQ test.

I agree. As she said, she was young when she did the test, and IQ's change over time. She's just a bit confused.

The Witch-king
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:40 PM
I think its a bit overestimated, but I'm sure she is incredibly smart. You can kinda feel it through her socially-off behaviour at times, her very different way of playing and trying things. A lot of the 'genius' people do have very different social abilities: she's got some Sheldon in her ;)

And BTW this is no bitching at all, I love me some Marion and she was a very adorable girl everytime I have seen her.

I saw that nikka on Ellen once and he behaves exactly the same as on that crummy show he's on :lol:
So much for acting talent

Olórin
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:47 PM
Einstein was a genius, I'm not sure who has "estimated" his IQ, but it's irrelevant. By definition the intelligence of a genius can't be adequately measured by a standardised test.

I've heard of and met several people who have done Mensa IQ tests and get within the 140-150 range. Not much below genius level, apparently. Taking IQ tests doesn't really measure your intelligence, it simply measures how good you are at answering IQ questions. I don't think it's implausible Bartoli's was very high.

Mistress of Evil
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
mine is just in 130-150 range. :sobbing: Though, IQ is overrated. :shrug:

Mary Cherry.
I apologise in advance :sobbing:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2iu6kxu.png

TheBoiledEgg
Seem like she didn't spot the . between the 7 and the 5

kman
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Einstein was a genius, I'm not sure who has "estimated" his IQ, but it's irrelevant. By definition the intelligence of a genius can't be adequately measured by a standardised test.

I've heard of and met several people who have done Mensa IQ tests and get within the 140-150 range. Not much below genius level, apparently. Taking IQ tests doesn't really measure your intelligence, it simply measures how good you are at answering IQ questions. I don't think it's implausible Bartoli's was very high.

Answering IQ questions and looking at the result does measure intelligence. The problem is it's usually only a certain kind of intelligence or a limited set of intelligences. Usually it's biased toward mathetmatical-logical intelligence. If Marion Bartoli had 175, I think she would be busy solving questions about the universe. But hey, maybe she just loves being a mediocre WTA player so much.

In all seriousness though... I think she took a test. And it was either a child test or a poor online test. Then she's been walking around feeling like a genius ever since.

Olórin
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Answering IQ questions and looking at the result does measure intelligence. The problem is it's usually only a certain kind of intelligence or a limited set of intelligences. Usually it's biased toward mathetmatical-logical intelligence. If Marion Bartoli had 175, I think she would be busy solving questions about the universe. But hey, maybe she just loves being a mediocre WTA player so much.

As you put, it measures only a narrow subset of overall intelligence. Even within more mathematical-type intelligence the ability of IQ tests to measure that kind of intelligence is limited because at the end of the day the scope of the tests will only cover a certain fraction of what there is, certain mathematicians may be more used to seeing data presented in the way it is on these tests than others, some people will perform better under pressure than others, - the very fact you "take a test" introduces an inherent element of artificiality. IQ tests do not measure "intelligence" as we use the term. Only a subset in a narrow and limited context.

And she's hardly a mediocre player, she's top 10 and has beaten some of the best tennis players ever.

pattyclijsters
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM
is it journalism or mobbing?

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:23 PM
MY IQ is actually low, only because I get nervous just because of someone trying to measure my intelligence level! :sobbing: However I'm the best English speaker of my class and my memory is really good :shrug:

sammy01
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:24 PM
you would think someone so clever would realize she needed to get fitter :tape:

Aramitz_II
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:25 PM

In all seriousness though... I think she took a test. And it was either a child test or a poor online test. Then she's been walking around feeling like a genius ever since.

Uhhh We have a Howard Gardner fan among us

wipeout
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM
mine is just in 130-150 range. :sobbing: Though, IQ is overrated. :shrug:
130 to 150 is the best range to have for success in life. :D
There are statistical reasons for it but it can be summed up as to be a successful basketball player you should be tall but the best basketball players are rarely the tallest ones. Once you are tall, other things then matter more like practice, dedication, outside support, etc.
A good example is that Michael Jordan is very tall but he's slightly below average height for an NBA basketball player. He's tall enough and that's a start, now the other things matter more. We see similar in tennis.
IQ works this way too.

Andrew Laeddis
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:42 PM

:rolls:

Ferg
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:03 PM
who the fuck is chris chase?! im going to rape him.

AnomyBC
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM
If she's so smart, then why can't she beat Caro? :)

sammy01
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:55 PM

i've been dissing marion for years, surely i should be 1st for a raping :angel::lol:

Linguae^
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:59 PM
I didn't even think she is 'a little bit smarter girl' :confused:

CrossCourt~Rally
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:03 PM

:happy:

SwingVolley93
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:09 PM
That writer is so annoying :(

GoofyDuck
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:13 PM
I find the article not objective but more like an attack to Bartoli and I think that should not be posted on a site like yahoo.

Whitehead's Boy
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:37 AM
French tennis star Marion Bartoli gave us more details about her exceptional IQ:

"Basically they told me it is a very sophisticated IQ measurement tool", said the former Wimbledon finalist. "I had to stand on a rectangular-shaped box and then I could read my score right away on the electronic screen. I couldn't believe my eyes."

"I am very proud. The doctors couldn't stop laughing so I guess not only I'm extremely intelligent, but I'm also a funny girl".

Maza1987
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
I didn't read the article........but, lulz.

tfl7
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:16 AM
Sometimes a standard deviation of 24 is used for the IQ-scale instead of the usual 15. Marion's score of 175 would then correspond to about 147 on the most common scale, which is still very high but not über-genius high as 175 would be on the standard scale.

Dominic
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:21 AM

OMG thats what I was gonna say :lol:

doktor
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:28 AM

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Facepalmarenka again

You have been on fire today, cheers!

thegreendestiny
Mar 22nd, 2011, 03:25 AM
We all know it would be more interesting to know that Ana Ivanovic has the IQ of Mr. Potato

:spit:

I would think so. She does sound dull when she talks. Plus her answers during interviews don't have much substance.

Alice
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:29 AM
:spit:

I would think so. She does sound dull when she talks. Plus her answers during interviews don't have much substance.

Agreed. And the point of this thread is...?

Bonfire
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:45 AM
Chris Chase can STFU! I would've liked to seen Einstein hang with Woz for three sets!

So Disrespectful
Mar 22nd, 2011, 04:55 AM
Apparently intelligence can't buy common sense or manners.

Six Feet Under
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:05 AM
she had an IQ of 175*

* Yahoo! cannot officially verify Bartoli's claims, but we can take a guess.

:unsure:

*Nefertiti*
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:10 AM
I don't believe in IQ tests.

Vodkapova
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:18 AM
Seem like she didn't spot the . between the 7 and the 5

:haha:

Just Do It
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:37 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=yhoo-ept_sports_ten_experts-wp165

Albert Einstein's IQ was reportedly around 160. Marion Bartoli laughs at such feeble-mindedness.

The top-ranked French player recently told reporters from her home country that she had an IQ of 175*, a score that's 40 points higher than the MENSA cut-off and better than some of the greatest thinkers in history, like Einstein, Stephen Hawking and Thomas Edison.

She was asked about the comments by reporters following a semifinal win at the BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells.

"I did a test when I was younger, but I'm not really someone that is really telling everyone, 'Oh, I'm so smart.' I'm kind of hiding it. But that's how I am, you know. It just comes naturally. That's how I was born with."

Interesting, because it sounds exactly like you're the sort of person that's telling everyone "I'm so smart." Then again, I have the IQ of a mere mortal, so maybe I can't think on that higher plane.

Bartoli's father is a doctor who enjoys chess, which evidently explains her genius-level intelligence. But, I ask you, would somebody so brilliant serve like this?

On second thought, maybe the herky-jerky serving motion is a product of higher-level thinking and we're all too intellectually inferior to realize it. Either way, Bartoli should be harnessing her smarts for good. Einstein came up with the theory of relativity with his feeble mind. Bartoli can't even come up with a theory on how to beat Caroline Wozniacki (she lost in three sets to the world No. 1 on Sunday).

She is hiding it :bowdown:

debby
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:57 PM
What a hater that so called journalist who wrote that piece of shit....

chuvack
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
I always enjoy watching Bartoli's game, but she is no smarter than the average WTA player - and the average WTA player is not all that smart.

Marion's IQ is probably a lot closer to 75 than 175. If she insists otherwise, then produce the test.

Super Dave
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:04 PM
Is that in kilometers or miles per hour?

young_gunner913
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
IQ to match her weight?

Just Do It
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:08 PM
What a hater that so called journalist who wrote that piece of shit....

I kinda agree, the way he wrote it made me think it's a joke, then I realized it is a " serious " article.

debby
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM
I always enjoy watching Bartoli's game, but she is no smarter than the average WTA player - and the average WTA player is not all that smart.

Marion's IQ is probably a lot closer to 75 than 175. If she insists otherwise, then produce the test.

Do you really think intelligence is visible on a tennis court? :tape: :help:

TS
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Uh...http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=431237

Just Do It
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Uh...http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=431237

I missed it :o Mods can merge threads.

Super Dave
Mar 22nd, 2011, 01:13 PM
I missed it :o Mods can merge threads.

Me, too :o Then again, I don't have an IQ of 175. Otherwise, I wouldn't have missed it.

adam_ads_n
Mar 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
IQ test is not a great estimate of intelligence (at least in my opinion), however I think that she is smart indeed. It's great when there are players who are smart not only on court, but also off court :)

Bingain
Mar 22nd, 2011, 05:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/news?slug=yhoo-ept_sports_ten_experts-wp165

She is hiding it

Thanks for quoting the source.

While I'm also suspicious of the actual score, this yahoo guy certainly writes in a tone more like a hater or a smart-ass than a journalist. What does service motion have to do with IQ? At least most of her serves went in! But then, he didn't say Marion was too fat unfit to be smart. Or maybe the editor struck it out?

Has Yahoo sports always been so bad?

@adam_ads_n
IQ is supposed to measure intelligence but intelligence can be very diversified (unbalanced.) I've read about Einstein wore a dog tag his daughter made for him. It had his address on it so he could show to cab drivers cuz his brain was so busy thinking science he often didn't know where he lived. I wouldn't be surprised he'd been called retarded more than anyone else in his time.

Slutiana
Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:34 PM

Thanks for quoting the source.

While I'm also suspicious of the actual score, this yahoo guy certainly writes in a tone more like a hater or a smart-ass than a journalist. What does service motion have to do with IQ? At least most of her serves went in! But then, he didn't say Marion was too fat unfit to be smart. Or maybe the editor struck it out?

Has Yahoo sports always been so bad?

@adam_ads_n
IQ is supposed to measure intelligence but intelligence can be very diversified (unbalanced.) I've read about Einstein wore a dog tag his daughter made for him. It had his address on it so he could show to cab drivers cuz his brain was so busy thinking science he often didn't know where he lived. I wouldn't be surprised he'd been called retarded more than anyone else in his time.
Chris Chase is one of the worst sports "journalists". 90% of the things he posts are completely irrelevant, and he largely just chats a load of shit or bitches as he did in this one.

vixter
Mar 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM

What are you talking about? You are obviously not her friend so how can you say? She comes across as very smart to me. I always enjoy reading her interviews.

GoofyDuck
Mar 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
That is like 3 times the IQ of Clijsters!

M.A.S.L.
Mar 22nd, 2011, 08:33 PM
It's a pity we cannot report that kind of shit-pseudojournalism-article.

Six Feet Under
Mar 23rd, 2011, 07:42 AM
Did she even actually say she did? :unsure:

Juanes
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:18 PM
she meant centimeters for sure :shrug:

Ivanovic2008
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM

I am trying to be more of a nice GM poster here but....

That was a really bitchy thing to say.

Ferg
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:34 PM
she meant centimeters for sure :shrug:

.... I think you're confusing IQ with something else...

madmax
Mar 28th, 2011, 09:39 PM
she meant pounds for sure :shrug:

here ya go

cordec
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM
That was so Rachel Berry from Marion!:hearts:

Navratil
Mar 29th, 2011, 06:36 AM

That's the best :D :D :D :D :D :D

hwanmig
Jul 6th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I wonder if Bartoli is calculating odds and using game theory to maximize the chances of winning:lol:.

BineMachine
Jul 6th, 2013, 08:45 AM
I thought it said 75 :lol:

Caesar1844
Jul 6th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Bartoli forum.

Beat
Jul 6th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Bartoli forum.

oh, just go away already.

Caesar1844
Jul 6th, 2013, 10:36 AM
oh, just go away already.
:wavey:

Volcana
Jul 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/French-tennis-star-Marion-Bartoli-says-she-has-a?urn=ten-wp165
1) The writer's an ass.

2) Steven Hawking (http://www.biography.com/people/stephen-hawking-9331710) has a pretty high IQ too. He's not much of a tennis player.

3) As for all the 'confusing IQ with her weight' comments, go for it.

I guess it's it burns that Bartoli is smarter then you, more talented than you, and richer then you. Kinda of like when the fat girl that everybody laughed at buys the building where you work as a counter clerk, after she wins the Nobel prize.

Gotta feel good for you, right?:)