PDA

View Full Version : WWW a battle between Seles and Wozniacki???

cherboy
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Yesterday I finished reading the book of Monica Seles.
She really had a lot of trouble with her weight, anyhow she was a Top10 player between 1995 and 2003.
If the after-stabbing-Seles would play against the current number 1 in the world... Who would win?!

RenaSlam.
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Seles 6-0 6-0

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:19 PM
They could play right now, Caroline would win easily, then beat Graf, then Navratilova, all in 2 sets.
Bring 'em on! lets go!!

Olórin
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:22 PM
Well the post-stabbing Seles that always sticks out in my mind is the one from 2001-2003 who consistently gave trouble to the sisters, and beat them a couple of times, beat Clijsters at Miami 2002, went toe to toe with Justine. All of whom were better defenders than Wozniacki and all of whom had offence capabilities to match Seles' own.

I find it hard to imagine that Seles doing anything but routing Wozniacki.

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Being totally fair, if they played eachother ten times: Non-Peak Seles, but in her prime of pre-stabbing vs Wozniacki , Seles would win at least eight of those meetings. Not 6-0 6-0 per se, but I'd like her chances in two straightforward sets on all surfaces.

cherboy
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:26 PM
i also would say that seles would win like 6:2, 6:3 or so.
girls like davenport, seles, pierce, capriati really like players styles like wozniackis.
can not understand that nobody of the current top ladys can't stop her.

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 21st, 2011, 04:58 PM
i also would say that seles would win like 6:2, 6:3 or so.
girls like davenport, seles, pierce, capriati really like players styles like wozniackis.
can not understand that nobody of the current top ladys can't stop her.

I feel the problem is that the girls on tour looked up to, and aspired to play like a lot of the above players - The only problem is that they're playing a watered down version of their games. Yes, the girls of today can hit as hard as Davenport, Seles et al, but they can only manage for 3-5 strokes before breaking down either mentally or physically. Just compare the way Sharapova(as much as I love her,) played against Wozniacki, to Lindsay Davenport and Venus Williams' Wimbledon final back in 05. There was one rally I remember, in that final set and after hours of tight play, where Venus and Lindsay went toe to toe in something like a twenty stroke rally; And they weren't zero-pace puffballs either like you would get in a Wozniacki match, they were clobbering the living daylights out of the ball and placing it so well. All the players of today seem to have taken from that Golden Age is that you have to hit hard to win, which is why things are as dire as they are now.

Kworb
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:47 PM
Seles would've been a really bad matchup for Wozniacki. The angles would be too much for her. And Seles's strokes were very very hard to read, I don't believe Wozniacki would have such superb anticipation against her. And her anticipation is her biggest strength.

Patrick345
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:58 PM
Why post stabbing? Letīs go pre-stabbing, so we can end it right there. Seles beats her on every surface.

justineheninfan
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM
Post stabbing Seles was owned by nearly all the top players, granted most of them were huge power players who could have outhit even the pre stabbing Seles. Clijsters and Henin werent even close to their prime levels and not that good when aging Seles was beating them, in fact not even as good as Wozniacki now. I wouldnt say 2002 Clijsters and Henin were even real top players. To answer the question it depends which post stabbing Seles you refer to as she got older she got slightly worse and more ineffective like most aging players who go further past their primes. So it depends which years of that 95-2003 period you are referring to.

Wozniacki is pretty much hated on this forum though. There was a poll where nearly everyone picked prime Sandrine Testud to be better than Wozniacki so of course everyone in a thread like this is going to side with a post stabbing Seles who was easily better than Testud.

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:03 PM
Seles

justineheninfan
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:05 PM
Why post stabbing? Letīs go pre-stabbing, so we can end it right there. Seles beats her on every surface.

If it was pre stabbing there would be no point for this thread. It would be like asking who is better between 2002-2003 Serena and Wozniacki or 2006-2007 Henin and Wozniacki.

adam_ads_n
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:07 PM
Caroline by walkover, because Seles is not an active player now and it's very doubtful she will come back :p

Patrick345
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
If it was pre stabbing there would be no point for this thread. It would be like asking who is better between 2002-2003 Serena and Wozniacki or 2006-2007 Henin and Wozniacki.

Yeah but Iīm not conceding any matches in mythical matchups on that idea. :lol: Itīs bad enough I had to witness Martina Hingis bitchslap a fat Monica Seles around, when the stabbing was the only reason Hingis ever won a Slam in her life.

AcesHigh
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:10 PM
Post-stabbing.. I'm not sure. Depends on how fit Seles was.

I think Seles would win 6 out of 10 times.

Pre-stabbing it would be no contest on any surface.

justineheninfan
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah but Iīm not conceding any matches in mythical matchups on that idea. :lol: Itīs bad enough I had to witness Martina Hingis bitchslap a fat Monica Seles around, when the stabbing was the only reason Hingis ever won a Slam in her life.

I hugely doubt you are right on your last statement. You really think Seles was still going to be dominating tennis completely in the late 90s almost a whole decade later, and even on grass which she never was close to dominating even pre stabbing. She was going to win Wimbledon 97 for sure when in her career she made it past the quarters once (and the one time she did was a 6-2, 6-1 final slaughter pre stabbing), win Australian 97 which she missed with a fluke broken finger anyway, win Australian Open 98 which she missed with her fathers illness (which didnt occur due to the stabbing). Seriously.

Smitten
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:21 PM
Post-stabbing.. I'm not sure. Depends on how fit Seles was.

I think Seles would win 6 out of 10 times.

Pre-stabbing it would be no contest on any surface.

8+ out of 10. :lol: What is this 6/10 bull?

Karolina has nothing in this matchup to hurt Seles. She completely dominated Conchita, Coetzer, and Arantxa all players who played with high topspin and high net clearance.

Karolina does not nearly have the variety or ability to mix it up like these players either. All she can do is keep rallying, and let's not go into what would happen to her 2nd serve.

AcesHigh
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:26 PM
8+ out of 10. :lol: What is this 6/10 bull?

Karolina has nothing in this matchup to hurt Seles. She completely dominated Conchita, Coetzer, and Arantxa all players who played with high topspin and high net clearance.

Karolina does not nearly have the variety or ability to mix it up like these players either. All she can do is keep rallying, and let's not go into what would happen to her 2nd serve.

Post-stabbing Seles was out of shape and was not much better than the baseliners of today.
If Wozniacki could go toe-to-toe with Serena, why not Seles who didn't have much of a serve?

I stand by 6/10

Smitten
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
Post-stabbing Seles was out of shape and was not much better than the baseliners of today.
If Wozniacki could go toe-to-toe with Serena, why not Seles who didn't have much of a serve?

I stand by 6/10

'01/'02 Seles had a re-dedication to fitness under Mike Sell and she started beating Serena, Venus, Jennifer, Lindsay, Kim, etc.

It's alarming you would even consider Karolina's game troubling Monica.

The Dawntreader
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:34 PM
People always assume Seles was some uber-aggressive, mindless ball-basher who simply overpowered her opponents and left tactics in the dressing room- not the case at all. Seles was one of the more astute baseliners of her time, able to manipulate the height and width of the ball, and understood the strength's and limitations of her opponents deceptively well.

Seles would be an awful match-up for Wozniacki, up until around 2002-03, where Seles lost a bit of potency off the ground, and her footwork increasingly deteriorated. Then Wozniacki would probably have more success at weathering the baseline barrages and out-maneuvering Seles.

But Seles had her peak, and even a couple of years past it would've wiped Wozniacki out.

Apoleb
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:35 PM
Even post-stabbing Seles would be all over her. Remember, Wozniacki doesn't make her opponents move a lot. She just rallies to death. Seles has a lethal combination of taking the ball early, hitting with lots of power obviously and most importantly with angles. It will just take a cross-court angle shot to Push's forehand side to expose her movement forward and her shitty stroke.

Also, post-stabbing Seles was still dominating Sanchez-Vicario. Is Wozniacki really a worse matchup than ASV???

Smitten
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:41 PM
People always assume Seles was some uber-aggressive, mindless ball-basher who simply overpowered her opponents and left tactics in the dressing room- not the case at all. Seles was one of the more astute baseliners of her time, able to manipulate the height and width of the ball, and understood the strength's and limitations of her opponents deceptively well.

Seles would be an awful match-up for Wozniacki, up until around 2002-03, where Seles lost a bit of potency off the ground, and her footwork increasingly deteriorated. Then Wozniacki would probably have more success at weathering the baseline barrages and out-maneuvering Seles.

But Seles had her peak, and even a couple of years past it would've wiped Wozniacki out.

Even post-stabbing Seles would be all over her. Remember, Wozniacki doesn't make her opponents move a lot. She just rallies to death. Seles has a lethal combination of taking the ball early, hitting with lots of power obviously and most importantly with angles. It will just take a cross-court angle shot to Push's forehand side to expose her movement forward and her shitty stroke.

Also, post-stabbing Seles was still dominating Sanchez-Vicario. Is Wozniacki really a worse matchup than ASV???

Thank goodness this forum has sense. :sobbing:

Sund7101
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:44 PM
Seles would absolutely destroy her and it wouldn't even be close.

Apoleb
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM
Plus, let's not forget who's the real moon ball queen here. If Caro wants to go that road, she will meet her match. :devil:

R0Jmi739lvM

Smitten
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:53 PM
The only former #1 I'd want to see Karolina play is Capriati maybe. Could be interesting.

Patrick345
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:55 PM
I hugely doubt you are right on your last statement. You really think Seles was still going to be dominating tennis completely in the late 90s almost a whole decade later, and even on grass which she never was close to dominating even pre stabbing. She was going to win Wimbledon 97 for sure when in her career she made it past the quarters once (and the one time she did was a 6-2, 6-1 final slaughter pre stabbing), win Australian 97 which she missed with a fluke broken finger anyway, win Australian Open 98 which she missed with her fathers illness (which didnt occur due to the stabbing). Seriously.

Grass is the toughest surface to learn how to play on, because you have so few opportunities.

You need a few years, yet Seles made it to the finals in her 3rd try.

Federer lost in the 1st round three of his first four attempts.
Sampras didnīt get past the 2nd round in his first three attempts.
Graf couldnīt get past the round of 16 her first three years.
Narvatilova made it to the quarters in her 3rd year.

Seles made it to the R16, the QF and F in her three attempts. So even on her perceived weakest surface Seles was far ahead of the learning curve of some of the greatest grass court players of all time, losing only to Graf (2x) and Garrison.

So yes I think still only at age 24 Seles would stand a good chance to beat Hingis, especially with the slower courts in general and in week two specifically.

Njalle
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:59 PM
Stupid thread. There are too many factors to account for to make such a comparison. WTA anno 199X/200X is not WTA anno 2011.

Apoleb
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:04 PM
The only former #1 I'd want to see Karolina play is Capriati maybe. Could be interesting.

How about Momo? Grass and also clay are done deal, but how would Momo approach the match on hard courts? From the 2004 onwards she tended to play a very defensive game on hard courts. I think she'll lose, cause her game is not consistent enough on the defense or offense against Wozniacki.

Smitten
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:18 PM
How about Momo? Grass and also clay are done deal, but how would Momo approach the match on hard courts? From the 2004 onwards she tended to play a very defensive game on hard courts. I think she'll lose, cause her game is not consistent enough on the defense or offense against Wozniacki.

Tough to say. I don't have a high opinion of Mauresmo on hardcourt.

I'd take Karolina on the USA DecoTurf where Mauresmo never felt comfortable/played her best. A toss-up everywhere else.

The Dawntreader
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:33 PM

Mauresmo's length could get woefully short on hardcourts, especially off the fh side. From 2004, a lot of players were capable of out-hitting her on that surface. I remember Santangelo out-playing Mauresmo for the majority of their USO match in '06, picking off Mauresmo's ineffectual, loopy forehands.

Woz's inherent ability to grind and play with sufficient enough depth would probably trouble Mauresmo, probably unable to match Wozniacki from the baseline in terms of patience, without her forehand malfunctioning.

Betten
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
If Mauresmo were to play agressive and attack the net well and often, she could put pressure on Caroline.

But it'd be tough on hard court (though it depends on what type), and I'd still favor Caroline.

justineheninfan
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:21 PM
Prime Mauresmo would easily beat current Wozniacki on every surface except maybe medium to fast U.S hard courts, especialy fast U.S Open style which are her worst for some reason. Clay, grass, carpet, indoors, are all easy PRIME Mauresmo at this point. Rebound ace I have not yet seen Wozniacki play the kind of tennis as Mauresmo did there in 99 and 2006, and in other years Mauresmo still made decent showings there. At the U.S Open, Miami, Indian Wells, Canada, those type of events Wozniacki could definitely win, but even there it would be a battle.

justineheninfan
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
Grass is the toughest surface to learn how to play on, because you have so few opportunities.

You need a few years, yet Seles made it to the finals in her 3rd try.

Federer lost in the 1st round three of his first four attempts.
Sampras didnīt get past the 2nd round in his first three attempts.
Graf couldnīt get past the round of 16 her first three years.
Narvatilova made it to the quarters in her 3rd year.

Seles made it to the R16, the QF and F in her three attempts. So even on her perceived weakest surface Seles was far ahead of the learning curve of some of the greatest grass court players of all time, losing only to Graf (2x) and Garrison.

So yes I think still only at age 24 Seles would stand a good chance to beat Hingis, especially with the slower courts in general and in week two specifically.

We will have to agree to disagree I guess.

I think Seles could have won a Wimbledon maybe without the stabbing. I dont think she would beat Hingis on grass though, maybe if she got someone like Conchita Martinez or Sanchez Vicario (or Wozniacki, LOL). Her overall results on grass were terrible for a top player stature, even taking into account the stabbing, and she certainly played it often enough to learn.

I also dont see believe Seles would have ever even played the 97 and 98 Australian Opens which Hingis won since the reasons she missed both were not at all tied to the stabbing.

I also dont think Seles would have been dominating tennis by the late 90s without the stabbing either. Maybe the 93-95 period which would have likely been her other best years as well as the pre stabbing ones.

Anyway it is all speculation. I think in general her weight problems which allowed lightweights like Hingis to embarass her at times were just as related to her fathers illness, some unlucky injuries, and some other factors as well as the stabbing. Though I think she would have played somewhat better under normal circumstances.

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:29 PM
However Wozniacki would demolish her now...

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:44 PM
However Wozniacki would demolish her now...

Wozniacki would demolish Court now. Your point?

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:05 PM
Wozniacki would demolish Court now. Your point?

Wozniacki would demolish Court at her best, peak Seles would demolish Wozniacki

Olórin
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Wozniacki would demolish Court at her best
You are very ignorant.

How many matches have you seen Court play?

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM
You are very ignorant.

How many matches have you seen Court play?

Enough to see that she wouldn't do anything now with that 70's powerpuff style she used to rely in to hit her volleys

LeRoy.
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:17 PM
Seles in straight sets on every surface.

Randy H
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:19 PM
Seles would definitely win - The angles, her ability to attack right off the first ball so consistently, and the way she took every ball so early would not work well to Wozniacki's favour.

Olórin
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:25 PM
Enough to see that she wouldn't do anything now with that 70's powerpuff style she used to rely in to hit her volleys

First of all you said "Court at her best". Court at her best is playing on grass in the 1960's. Put Caroline on grass in the 1960's and I don't know how well she'd do.

Where have you seen clips of her?

From your description I'm inclined to think that the clips you watched was extremely short. Court actually had considerable power, especially considering she was using a wooden racquet. Martina Navratilova called Court's first serve the best first serve she ever faced, and this was someone who played Graf and Seles a lot. Also she was extremely fit, she won that 14-12 11-9 Wimbledon final against BJK and by the end she wasn't even breathing all that heavily.

I'm not sure what you mean by the rest of your post. It doesn't make much sense. Court wasn't just a volleyer, she was skilled from the baseline and an excellent rallyer with great footwork and two technically sound flanks to rely on.

I'm not sure what you meant in the first place with "Wozniacki would beat Seles now" as that wasn't the question; and your follow-on comments about Margaret Court don't make much sense either.

ce
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:28 PM
Seles :shrug:

BlueTrees
May 27th, 2011, 04:35 PM
:spit:

Miss Amor
May 27th, 2011, 04:37 PM
For real?

spencercarlos
May 27th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Seles would definitely win - The angles, her ability to attack right off the first ball so consistently, and the way she took every ball so early would not work well to Wozniacki's favour.
Watch Seles vs Coetzer head to head..

Seles would win most of the matches with ease. And if Seles loses it would be because she plays terrible, as Caro has very little to hurt her with.

justineheninfan
May 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Watch Seles vs Coetzer head to head..

Seles would win most of the matches with ease. And if Seles loses it would be because she plays terrible, as Caro has very little to hurt her with.

Seles never had trouble with purely defensive players, less so than virtually any other player including Graf who occasionaly did. She slapped Martinez around in their so called rivalry too, and in Martinez's only win she was hitting the forehand huge which she occasionaly stepped up to do (I saw the match). Seles's only win vs Coetzer she played awful (I saw that match as well). Even Sanchez Vicario who is the best defensive player ever and can play offensively a well has a horrible record against Seles of 3-17, and relied on chokes or partial chokes by Seles to win 2 of the 3 encounters really.

Wozniacki would be the easiest opponent imaginable for Seles. She isnt even a tough opponent for Venus who has far more trouble with those kind of players, especialy on slower courts.

duhcity
May 28th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Lord. The problem with these threads is that everybody just assumes that Seles could play her peak tennis all the time.

No doubt Peak Seles would beat Peak Wozniacki, but Wozniacki's success comes partly due to players not being able to maintain consistency of play.

SymphonyX
May 28th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Seles obviously.

But I'd rather see Woz against an in-form Mary Pierce.

justineheninfan
May 28th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Lord. The problem with these threads is that everybody just assumes that Seles could play her peak tennis all the time.

No doubt Peak Seles would beat Peak Wozniacki, but Wozniacki's success comes partly due to players not being able to maintain consistency of play.

Past her prime and grossly overweight Seles (which was basically most of her career, LOL) still only lost to people like Davenport, Venus, Serena, Graf, Hingis and sometimes Novotna, young Henin, Capriati, Spirlea, and Pierce. On rare occasions on grass she sometimes lost to people like Lucic or Testud who still could hit the crap out of the ball, or Zvereva who had a very wide array of shots, angles, spins, and all court play on the surface. You either had to hit the ball extremely hard and get her on the run, or be an all court attacking stylist like Hingis, Novotna, and young Henin. For those who dont remember Spirlea had a huge forehand and was very versatile as well, she was dumb one of the biggest headcases ever but against Seles she usually brought it. Wozniacki does nothing that would present problems for even the worst of Seles. Maybe the 2003 Seles who was injured and playing her final half year on tour, but that is it.

justineheninfan
May 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Seles obviously.

But I'd rather see Woz against an in-form Mary Pierce.

Wozniacki would have more chance in this one. Pierce could sometimes go into self destruct mode which Seles virtually never does. The match would still be 100% on Pierce's racquet though. And Pierce had a great record vs Coetzer, even at Amanda's 1997 peak, and an excellent record against Martinez, and even a winning record vs Sanchez, so Wozniacki would probably only get the occasional win on Pierce's really bad days at most.

WozTakesAll
May 28th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I think people give the new generation way to little credit. In many other sports i know they physical fitness has gone way up. People now spend equal amounts of time training in the gym as they do performing the sport. But by seeing 2 modern players/teams play each other, you do not realize that they are maybe 10-20-30% better then the old players.

Just look at the times for 100 meter run. The runners from 10 years ago have no chance even competing with the best now, and so it is each 10 years.

So in summary, the new generation will beat the players who played 10 or 20 years ago.

Libertango
May 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I don't think it'd be a "battle"

Aramitz_II
May 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Poeple are so delutional When it comes to past starts

I have just been watching Seles-Sabatini from 1991.

And it was like watching tennis in slow motion

I can not say how far down the ranking list you should go to find
som one she could beat with that speed. At least number 50

The idea that she should have anything on Wozniacki is
a fantasi. Even thou Wozniacki is consideret defensiv and slow
for today's standard she hits way faster than Seles.

Ferg
May 28th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Seles with a bagel or two.

WozTakesAll
May 28th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Poeple are so delutional When it comes to past starts

I have just been watching Seles-Sabatini from 1991.

And it was like watching tennis in slow motion

I can not say how far down the ranking list you should go to find
som one she could beat with that speed. At least number 50

The idea that she should have anything on Wozniacki is
a fantasi. Even thou Wozniacki is consideret defensiv and slow
for today's standard she hits way faster than Seles.

I very much agree with this, and its not because its seles vs. caro. ANY matchup of former players vs. new player will be uneven, because the new player are trained better, we now know more about nutrition, they are stronger (gym training) and so on.

The Reff
May 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I very much agree with this, and its not because its seles vs. caro. ANY matchup of former players vs. new player will be uneven, because the new player are trained better, we now know more about nutrition, they are stronger (gym training) and so on.

To be fair in this argument, you would have to consider, that a peak GOAT somebody, hypothetically moved to todays circuit, would be exposed to the same amount of physical training and pace of match.
This makes variables totally obscure, as the les physical players would not make the transition. On the other hand very physical athletes would.

Miss Amor
May 28th, 2011, 07:26 PM
In RG'02, a slow/fat/injured/about to retire Seles straight setted Hantuchova (who was arguably at the peak of her career in 2002).
In RG'11, a slow/off-form Hantuchova straight setted Wozniacki (who is at the peak of her career).

And as far as match-ups go, Seles has the upper hand, so its quite an easy answer.

Aramitz_II
May 28th, 2011, 07:30 PM
To be fair in this argument, you would have to consider, that a peak GOAT somebody, hypothetically moved to todays circuit, would be exposed to the same amount of physical training and pace of match.
This makes variables totally obscure, as the les physical players would not make the transition. On the other hand very physical athletes would.

And also make them someone completely different people

Aramitz_II
May 28th, 2011, 07:49 PM
In RG'02, a slow/fat/injured/about to retire Seles straight setted Hantuchova (who was arguably at the peak of her career in 2002).
In RG'11, a slow/off-form Hantuchova straight setted Wozniacki (who is at the peak of her career).

And as far as match-ups go, Seles has the upper hand, so its quite an easy answer.

i would like to look at thinks alittle bit different

in 2002 a 19 years old nervous newbie with substantially tennis qualities blew a match against an older much more experienced player.Theese things hapend

In 2011 a now 28 year old experienced player realised that her best chance against
number one Wozniacki was to go "all in" and so she did and succeeded

To try use this as a bridge is not funny at all. But it may be considered ridiculous

Miss Amor
May 28th, 2011, 07:52 PM
in 2002 a 19 years old nervous newbie with substantially tennis qualities blew a match against an older much more experienced player.Theese things hapend

A 19 year old 'newbie :lol:' ranked 11 who had just beaten Henin(3) and Hingis(2) to win one of the biggest WTA titles, she was certainly not inexperienced. Whereas in 2011 she has an appalling 17-15 record before this RG and barely hanging in the top 30.

tkutsaar
May 28th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Seles 6-0 6-0

Of course and all games would be won at love. That Wozniaki is such a slump.

Matt01
May 28th, 2011, 08:01 PM

:lol: Please.

Aramitz_II
May 28th, 2011, 08:03 PM
A 19 year old 'newbie :lol:' ranked 11 who had just beaten Henin(3) and Hingis(2) to win one of the biggest WTA titles, she was certainly not inexperienced. Whereas in 2011 she has an appalling 17-15 record before this RG and barely hanging in the top 30.

BS In tennis you are not experienced as 19 whatever results you show up with, period.

justineheninfan
May 28th, 2011, 10:02 PM
:lol: Please.

What did he say that was wrong. Seles was way past her prime in 2002 (considering you are someone who wants to argue in her prime she would have dominated Venus Williams who she is a pathetic 1-9 against with the Venus smackdowns starting in 1998 you had better agree with that as well) and still straight setted Hantuchova during the best brief phase of her career. Hantuchova is way past her prime and just spanked Wozniacki. The implications of that are whatever you choose then to be, they dont neccessarily have to be anything, but what he/she said was the truth.

justineheninfan
May 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM
BS In tennis you are not experienced as 19 whatever results you show up with, period.

Who cares if she was that experienced or not. She was a much better player in 2002 than she is today.

justineheninfan
May 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
I think people give the new generation way to little credit. In many other sports i know they physical fitness has gone way up. People now spend equal amounts of time training in the gym as they do performing the sport. But by seeing 2 modern players/teams play each other, you do not realize that they are maybe 10-20-30% better then the old players.

Just look at the times for 100 meter run. The runners from 10 years ago have no chance even competing with the best now, and so it is each 10 years.

So in summary, the new generation will beat the players who played 10 or 20 years ago.

if that were the case how come old greyhounds who were on top in the early 2000s and even late 90s (eg- 99 U.S Open and Tennis Mag Player of the Year Serena Williams) like Serena and Clijsters are still dominating the game, despite being constantly injured and not even taking it that seriously anymore. How come 29 year old Hantuchova and Li Na who arent elite champions and who have been around forever are still able to beat the current #1 in slams, and Li Na even make a slam final. Best of all how can 39 year old Kimiko Date still beat many of todays top players, and how can 33 year old Tamarine Tanasugarn be the one to stop her from becoming the WTA tours oldest ever winner.

Sorry this evolution you speak of may have been true in past years, but it has ended
with the current crop.

Betten
May 29th, 2011, 12:24 AM
A comparison of tennis with athletics really doesn't hold up well. In fact, tennis is one of the most democratic sports; success can be achieved by many different types of play, players of different builds (which is why someone like Rochus can beat Karlovic, or why fat Monica and diminutive Henin still could be top players) and ages (notably Date Krumm, but also Li Na and Greta Arn have had success late in their careers). Tennis allows players to make up for a physical deficiency with experience and skill. This is totally unlike athletics.

As for the question posed by the OP: in her last full year on the tour, Seles could still hang with most of the top players (wins over Venus, Hingis, Davenport, Clijsters, Henin and Capriati). Despite her suspect fitness, she used her angles and experience to win these matches. I don't think Wozniacki would be able to handle someone who plays Seles' type of tennis very well: very agressive shots, not Williams/Sharapova-hard but excellently placed. Seles never had much trouble with defensive opponents who gave her the initiative (Sanchez, Coetzer) but struggled with those who could overpower her. Wozniacki fits in the former category. I'm not saying Wozniacki would never be able to win a match against her, but I think she'd lose more often than not.

I think this match (Seles-Clijsters) would be a good indication of how such a match would progress:

OHlHsHsm3dE

alfajeffster
May 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Being totally fair, if they played eachother ten times: Non-Peak Seles, but in her prime of pre-stabbing vs Wozniacki , Seles would win at least eight of those meetings. Not 6-0 6-0 per se, but I'd like her chances in two straightforward sets on all surfaces.

I have to tell you, when I saw "Pushniacki" I busted out laughing! Thanks.:haha:

Matt01
May 29th, 2011, 01:23 AM
What did he say that was wrong. Seles was way past her prime in 2002 (considering you are someone who wants to argue in her prime she would have dominated Venus Williams who she is a pathetic 1-9 against with the Venus smackdowns starting in 1998 you had better agree with that as well) and still straight setted Hantuchova during the best brief phase of her career. Hantuchova is way past her prime and just spanked Wozniacki. The implications of that are whatever you choose then to be, they dont neccessarily have to be anything, but what he/she said was the truth.

The analogy was just wrong and didn't make any sense. And it doesn't matter if Hantuchova was in bad form before this match against Woz. Hantuchiva played a great match, hit many more winners than erros, that's not "off-form".

Sharakim
May 29th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Seles would destroy the Danish wall.