PDA

View Full Version : The WTA Championships Thread

Serendy Willick
Oct 27th, 2002, 07:11 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Maybe we can post everything in here about Venus in LA from the first match to the trophy! GO VENUS:bounce: :bounce:

Okasu
Oct 29th, 2002, 11:42 PM
Website
http://womenstennischampionships.com/

Some info....

2002 Championships presented by Porsche Factsheet

Where: STAPLES Center, Los Angeles, California

When: 6-11 November 2002 (Singles final 6.30pm Monday 11 November; followed by doubles final)

Who: The Top 16 singles players and Top 8 doubles teams over the past year, with points accumulated at regular Tour events. Click here for a full explanation

Format: Knockout; four rounds for singles; three rounds for doubles

Players who have qualified (as of 21 October 2002):

Singles (14 qualified; 2 spots remain)
Serena Williams (USA)
Venus Williams (USA)
Jennifer Capriati (USA)
Amélie Mauresmo (FRA)
Justine Henin (BEL)
Monica Seles (USA)
Kim Clijsters (BEL)
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
Jelena Dokic (YUG)
Martina Hingis (SUI) WITHDREW 17/10
Anastasia Myskina (RUS)
Lindsay Davenport (USA)
Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)
Patty Schnyder (SUI)

Doubles (5 teams qualified; 3 spots remain)
Virginia Ruano Pascual / Paola Suárez (ESP/ARG)
Lisa Raymond / Rennae Stubbs (USA/AUS)
Elena Dementieva / Janette Husarova (RUS/SVK)
Cara Black / Elena Likhovtseva (ZIM/RUS)
Daniela Hantuchova / Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario (SVK/ESP)

Prize Money: US$3 million in total

Singles prize money and Sanex WTA ranking points breakdown:

Round
Prize Money (USD)
Rank PTS

Winner

Runner-up

Semifinalist

Quarterfinalist

First Round

Alternate
-

Doubles prize money and Sanex WTA ranking points breakdown:

Round
Prize Money (USD)
Rank PTS

Winner

Runner-up

Semifinalist

First Round

The US$3 million Championships presented by Porsche is the largest and most lucrative women’s only sporting event in the world, dating back to 1972 and was held in New York’s Madison Square Garden from 1979-2000. The Top 16 singles players and top eight doubles teams, according to the Porsche Race points standings as of Monday, 4 November qualify for the season-ending tournament, to be held at STAPLES Center, Los Angeles, CA, 6-11 November.

Former champions include all-time greats Chris Evert, Evonne Goolagong-Cawley, Tracy Austin, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Gabriela Sabatini, Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport and Serena Williams. The Porsche Race for the Championships is updated every week and Standings are posted at the Sanex WTA Tour’s Web site, www.sanexwta.com.

Tv Times

ESPN
DATE SHOW TIME (ET)
Nov. 6 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
WOMEN'S PROFESSIONAL TENNIS
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 3:30 pm to
5:00 pm
Nov. 7 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
Nov. 8 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
Nov. 11 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 9:30 pm to
11:30 pm

ESPN2
DATE SHOW TIME (ET)
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 8:30 pm to
10:00 pm
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 10:00 pm to
11:30 pm
Nov. 7 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 11:00 pm to
12:30 am
Nov. 8 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 11:00 pm to
12:30 am
Nov. 9 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 4:00 pm to
6:00 pm
Nov. 10 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 12:00 am to
2:00 am
Nov. 10 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 4:00 pm to
7:00 pm
Nov. 11 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS PRESENTED BY PORSCHE
STAPLES CENTER LOS ANGELES, CA USA 7:00 am to
9:00 am

Okasu
Oct 29th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Let's kick some http://websmileys.bei.t-online.de/em118.gif Venus...go have some fun:bounce: :) :bounce:

locks
Oct 30th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Take it :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Devon
Oct 30th, 2002, 09:00 PM
This is your title Venus!!!! Shut them all up!!!

GO AND WIN BIG TIME:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Sam L
Oct 31st, 2002, 10:28 AM
Go Venus! :)

If she wins this she would've won the California Slam in a different style. Stanford, San Diego, L.A! :eek:

Okasu
Nov 1st, 2002, 02:40 AM
Venus Williams: Gunning for glory

She may have spent much of 2002 accepting Grand Slam runner-up trophies alongside younger sister Serena, but the 22-year-old Venus reached more finals than anyone in 2002, an impressive 11 (winning seven).

For much of 2002, Venus also led the Porsche Race to the Championships, with her seven titles a Tour-best until Serena’s late-season spree in Tokyo and Leipzig. On 25 February, Venus became the 10th woman to be No.1 on the Sanex WTA singles rankings. It was a position she held in three separate reigns for a total of 11 weeks, until Serena ascended the throne after winning Wimbledon in early July.

With four of her eight losses in 2002 occurring against Serena, Venus was unstoppable by all but a few. Her other four losses (Monica Seles – Australian Open QF; Sandrine Testud – Dubai SF; Kim Clijsters – Hamburg final; Magdalena Maleeva – Moscow 2r) were all three-set affairs.

Venus has qualified for the season-ending Championships for the past four years, reaching the semifinals on debut in 1999 but missing 2000 (anemia) and 2001 (left wrist injury). With six of 28 singles titles to date being won indoors, Venus certainly has the ability and experience to add another title to her collection.

A win in Los Angeles would make it a Williams Championships sweep of the past two years, with Serena the reigning titleholder.

locks
Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:00 AM
Make em say your name Venus :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Okasu
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:41 PM
1 - S.Williams USA Vs. A.Smashnova ISR
A.Myskina RUS Vs. 8 - J.Dokic YUG

3 - J.Capriati USA Vs. S.Farina Elia ITA
M.Maleeva BUL Vs. 7 - D.Hantuchova SVK

5 - K.Clijsters BEL Vs. C.Rubin USA
E.Dementieva RUS Vs. 4- J.Henin BEL

6 - M.Seles USA Vs. L.Davenport USA
P.Schnider SUI Vs. 2 - V.Williams USA :bounce: :hearts: :bounce: :hearts: :bounce: :hearts: :bounce:

Come on Venus....

:)

Okasu
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:44 PM
Venus Williams vs Patty Schnyder

Williams leads 3-0

2 Gold Coast Dec 31 2001 V Williams(1) - P Schnyder 6-0 6-4
QF New Haven Aug 21 2000 V Williams(1) - P Schnyder 6-4 6-2
4 Australian O. Jan 19 1998 V Williams - P Schnyder 6-4 6-1

Order of play
12:30pm pt [3:30pm est]
Kim Clijesters vs Chanda Rubin
Elena Dementieva vs Justine Henin

7pm pt [10pm est]
Monica Seles vs Lindsay Davenport
Venus Willams :) vs Patty Schnyder

Okasu
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Williams Draw String Continues
Los Angeles Times
By Lisa Dillman

The familiar sight of Serena Williams and Venus Williams meeting in another significant final could unfold at Staples Center in the season-ending $3-million WTA Championships.

It happened in three of the four Grand Slam tournaments in 2002, so why not again?

As usual this year, the sisters were seeded first and second and placed on opposite sides of the draw, which was conducted Saturday in Santa Monica. The tournament, which moved from Munich, Germany, to Los Angeles, will open with first-round matches Wednesday and conclude Nov. 11 with a Monday night final. It is a single-elimination format.

If form holds, top-seeded Serena, the defending champion, would face No. 3 Jennifer Capriati in the semifinals, and No. 2 Venus would meet No. 4 Justine Henin of Belgium. Serena beat Venus in three Grand Slam finals this year -- the French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open. Capriati won the first major of the season, the Australian Open in January, and has not won a tournament since.

The draw didn't grant any favors to close friends Monica Seles and Lindsay Davenport, who will meet in the opening round. The sixth-seeded Seles has not played a tournament since the week after the U.S. Open because of injuries, and Davenport has been playing regularly to qualify for this event, a car ride away from her home in Laguna Beach.

Venus Williams has not played much more than Seles since the Open and faces a tricky first-round opponent in Patty Schnyder of Switzerland. Venus has been idle since Oct. 3, when she lost to Magdalena Maleeva in Moscow. Schnyder, meanwhile, defeated Davenport in three sets to win the title at Zurich last month.

Belgians Henin and No. 5 Kim Clijsters could meet in the quarterfinals, and the two seem to have a way of running into each other, most notably when Clijsters beat Henin in the semifinals of the 2001 French Open. Clijsters has defeated Henin twice in three matches this year.

Anna Smashnova of Israel, Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia and Anastasia Myskina of Russia are first-time qualifiers for the event.

Rubylips
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:20 PM
:wavey: Osakus , i like that butt thing.lol. VENUS WILLIAMS ALLLLLLL THE WAY.MY GILR.:wavey: :bounce: :) :kiss:

Okasu
Nov 5th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Rubylips...
I like that gif too :)

Okasu
Nov 6th, 2002, 04:29 PM
http://64.14.51.245/images/thumbnail/726062.jpg

http://64.14.51.245/images/thumbnail/726063.jpg

Okasu
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Venus win 6/2 7/6(9-7) :bounce:
She had a 3/0 lead in the second and let it slip:confused:

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021107/thumb.1036650427wta_championships_las113.jpg

Okasu
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Venus Williams vs Monica Seles

venus leads 8-1.

QF US Open Aug 26 2002 V Williams(2) - M Seles(6) 6-2 6-3
QF Roland Garros May 27 2002 V Williams(2) - M Seles(6) 6-4 6-3
QF Australian O. Jan 14 2002 M Seles(8) - V Williams(2) 6-74 6-2 6-3
F San Diego July 30 2001 V Williams(2) - M Seles(7) 6-2 6-3
SF Olympic Games Sep 18 2000 V Williams(2) - M Seles(3) 6-1 4-6 6-4
F New Haven Aug 21 2000 V Williams(1) - M Seles(2) 6-2 6-4
F San Diego July 31 2000 V Williams(3) - M Seles(4) 6-0 6-73 6-2
SF New Haven Aug 23 1999 V Williams(2) - M Seles(3) 6-1 6-3
SF Stanford July 27 1998 V Williams(3) - M Seles(2) 6-3 6-4

Venere e Davide
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:18 PM
WAY TO GO, VENUS!!! Good luck the rest of the way! Here's hoping the championship will be yours..but win or lose I, for one, will stick by you until you retire (no time soon, I hope)!! You truly ARE the QUEEN....

Okasu
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:50 PM
VENUS WILLIAMS
Defeated Patty Schnyder, 6-2, 7-6

Q. Venus, how would you rate your game?

VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, it was a little difficult out there, you know, because I haven't played a lot in the fall and just a little bit rusty, and really just trying to keep the ball in play and to play my regular game. It was just a good first round for me, a lot of balls. I would like to hit a lot better the next round.
Toward the second set, she got a lot of confidence to think maybe she could win the set or try to win the match.

Q. Was it a question of you maybe losing a little focus or her just getting tougher?
VENUS WILLIAMS: No, I think I started making more errors. I was really trying to close it out, but it was just a little tough there.

Q. How do you feel about playing Seles in the next round?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Real good. She was able to win that match when the odds were against her, so if the odds are against me, I hope I can do the same thing she did.

Q. Venus, did you find your game at all tonight? Were there points where you were really pleased with the way you were playing?
VENUS WILLIAM: Sometimes, especially on my forehand, but I hit all backhands tonight, so I've got to go out and find what I was doing wrong and do my best. I did well when I was coming in. I would like to do a little more of that in the next match.

Q. Did you practice a lot the last couple of weeks?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Not especially. Not as much as I should have, but I did lots of other things and practiced a little bit, so I still feel pretty confident that I can do well in the tournament.

Q. It didn't look like you had much pressure but you were really relying on your own serve?
VENUS WILLIAMS: My first serve wasn't going good as much today, but my second serve was doing well.
I think I was hitting my first serve a little too flat. It was always going long, going long. I need to bring it back in.

Q. Venus, did you watch a lot of the Monica and Lindsay match?
VENUS WILLIAMS: I watched the score.

Q. Are you surprised with Monica, at her age, the amount of time she's been on the tour?
VENUS WILLIAMS: No. I'm surprised everyone keeps worrying her about it. It's annoying to me and I wonder how annoying it is to her.

Q. Because you feel she can still play at the top five or top ten?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Sure, she is doing that right now.

Q. Do you know when your commercial for McDonalds will come out?
VENUS WILLIAMS: In November. Actually, it's November now, so it should be coming out in a few weeks.

Q. Was that part of the post match ritual, maybe a Happy Meal, some apple pies or something maybe beforehand, before play?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, I eat more McDonald's in Europe, strangely. I don't know what the trend is.

Q. How is your fashion going now?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Fashion, well, I still design a lot for Wilson's Leather. I didn't go to school this fall. That's why you see me playing here. I'm close to finishing. I think I have 25 credits left, something like that, so it's not a lot.

Q. How do you feel about being back at your real home area playing?
VENUS WILLIAMS: Well, you know, I've got two homes. It's nice being here. I kind of get lost. I don't really know how to get around. I've got a lot of good memories, though.
Good night.

LucasArg
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:05 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021108/capt.1036816594wta_championships_las106.jpg

LucasArg
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:06 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20021109/mdf145953.jpg

LucasArg
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:07 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021109/capt.1036819445wta_championships_las109.jpg

LucasArg
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:07 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021109/capt.1036818907wta_championships_las108.jpg

Rubylips
Nov 10th, 2002, 02:34 AM
:wavey: :kiss: :hearts: Venus just so BEAUTIFUL.Venus eye"s look,so clear,sparkling .She a Black Doll.:bounce: :kiss: :wavey: ;) :) :p :cool: :angel: :drool: :bounce: My Venus.:hearts: :kiss:

Okasu
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:02 PM
Venus Turns Back Seles
Los Angeles Times
By Lisa Dillman, Times Staff Writer

Venus Williams, tennis star and critic, probably had the most accurate, and succinct view, of her unpredictable match against Monica Seles.
Good plays, bad plays and amazing plays, Williams summarized.

When Williams faces Seles, those things have a way of happening, not only in the same set, but in the same game. They managed to bring out a higher level of shot-making from one another, as the No. 2-seeded Williams defeated No. 6 Seles, 7-5, 6-4, in 1 hour 39 minutes at Staples Center.

Friday night's match was something of a tonic for what was been an ailing event, the Home Depot WTA Championships. Though Seles saved seven match points in her three-set victory against Lindsay Davenport in the first round, the quality of play between Seles and Williams was far superior.

And, finally, there was the feel of a crowd attending an event, not merely a few bodies rattling around in an empty hangar. Seles even acknowledged it afterward with a small sigh of relief. An estimated 4,500 were on hand for the Seles-Williams quarterfinal, which was easily the largest crowd for any session.

"It was nice to see that," Seles said. "The first year it's very difficult. They're probably going to have to do a lot more promotions. A lot of my friends here had no idea why I was in town."

Seles said the process will take some time. Having said that, the field is better than most years; the season-ending event has never featured both Serena and Venus Williams in the same year. Serena Williams won the Championships last year in Munich, and Venus has participated only once, reaching the semifinals in 1999. If the sisters stick to their policy of skipping Indian Wells, the next time they appear in Southern California is the summer of 2003.

Matches with the sort of competitive quality displayed by Williams and Seles will help push the tournament's development. Seles, who beat Venus in three sets in the quarterfinals at the Australian Open in January, is the only player other than Serena to defeat Venus in a Grand Slam event this year.

The way she opened against Williams, taking a 4-1 lead in the first set, it looked as though Seles might be poised for her second victory against Venus in their 10 meetings. Venus, though, slowly started to find her range and came up with some big shots, and a bit of luck, to tie it, 4-4. She saved four break points in that game, including one net-cord winner.

One game, in particular, stood out as an example of the match's closeness. Williams, serving at 2-3 in the second set, fought off two break points and battled through nine deuces. Seles was able to break serve three times in the match, but was hurt by her own serve, hitting only one ace and double-faulting nine times. Williams had 11 aces and 44 winners and regularly hit her serve faster than 110 mph. "I didn't want to lose," said Williams, who will play No. 5 Kim Clijsters in the semifinals. "I don't know, I'm really used to winning."

Williams has always been a fan of Seles, graciously handling the loss at the Australian Open. But she was more effusive than usual about Seles, rattling off scores of the past when Seles dominated the tour in the early 1990s.

"I remember all those things," Williams said. "She was my favorite player. I was always rooting for her. Of course when we play now, I'm rooting for me."

Now, that famous Seles grunt lives on in the form of Williams. Venus wanted to be like Monica in every way possible ... except for the two-handed forehand.

"I started grunting because I wanted to be like Monica. I never grunted before. Now I can't stop," Williams said, laughing. "I started doing things like her. She was a revolutionary. It always comes around to someone who takes the game to another level, and makes everyone realize, 'Hey, I've got to step it up also.' "

Venus remains on course for all-Williams final

Click to enlarge photo

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Venus Williams tamed fellow American Monica Seles 7-5 6-4 to reach the semi-finals of the WTA Championships and keep the $3 million year-end extravaganza on course for another all-Williams final.

An all-Williams final would provide a fitting conclusion to the season. The siblings have clashed to decide three of the year's four grand slams, Serena getting the better of her big sister each time to lift the Wimbledon, French and U.S. Open titles.

Venus will now take on Kim Clijsters for a place in Monday's final, the Belgian advancing with a 6-2 6-1 win over compatriot Justine Henin earlier in the day.

World number one Serena, who can become the first woman to win $4 million in a season with a successful defence of her WTA Championship crown, will try to keep pace with her sister when she takes on Yugoslavia's Jelena Dokic in quarter-final action on Saturday.

The victory was Williams's ninth in 10 meetings with Seles, three of those coming this year.

Seles, who saved seven match points in a first-round comeback win over Lindsay Davenport, took the initiative in both sets by securing the early break.

But each time, Venus, behind her thunderous serve and 11 aces, answered back.

With the largest crowd of the tournament cheering and injecting some badly needed life into the event, Williams took the opening set when she broke Seles to surge ahead 6-5, then held serve.

The second set was almost identical, the world number two breaking Seles to go 5-4 up, then serving out the match.

venus leads 3-1

Kim Clijsters vs Venus Williams

QF San Diego July 29 2002 V Williams(1) - K Clijsters(5) 6-3 5-7 6-4
F Stanford July 22 2002 V Williams(1) - K Clijsters(4) 6-3 6-3
F Hamburg Apr 29 2002 K Clijsters(2) - V Williams(1) 1-6 6-3 6-4
QF US Open Aug 27 2001 V Williams(4) - K Clijsters(5) 6-3 6-1

Okasu
Nov 10th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Lovely Pics :)

Go Venus...:bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :kiss: :bounce: :hearts: :bounce: :hearts:

Bring home the title :)

Okasu
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:36 PM
Venus has to RET. down 5/0 to kim:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: due to injury....

jean_genie
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:29 AM
Get well Venus and don't be sad. :sad: :sad: :sad:

You had a great year and next year will be even better. WE LOVE YOU:kiss:

LucasArg
Nov 11th, 2002, 05:42 AM
She will be back in a great form:wavey:

RAA
Nov 11th, 2002, 02:29 PM
so sad for Venue, but glad its not a serious injury (I don't think). she'll be back fresh and new next year!!

"Topaz"
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Thank God, Vee has about two months to recover. Enough to be in top shape for Aussie-03.

locks
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:31 PM
I'm telling you all Venus will when the AO:) What happened at the year end event will not set well with her.