PDA

View Full Version : What happens to WTA if...

thegreendestiny
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:01 AM
Karolina will end the season (2011) as No.1 and still without a slam.

I'm looking at the possibilities and I don't think she can win RG or Wimbledon. Her best chance is USO, but Serena and Kim are there by then.

:help:

In The Zone
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:04 AM
This is why people believed she needed to do something in Australia or else. Now, she'll have the pressure and publicity of winning in RG and Wimbledon (which won't happen) and it'll weigh heavily on her going into USO -- even though it shouldn't, considering we (and the writers) know she never will have a chance at RG and WIM.

Sp!ffy
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:04 AM
It goes on...?

DaMamaJama87
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:08 AM
Wozniacki could win the French Open this year. She is already playing better than in Australia and is growing in confidence. The only players better than her are Serena and Kim. Kim does not like playing on clay and will be the least motivated there and it's not clear if Serena will play there. Wozniacki is superbly fit and could wear down her opponents in Paris.

doktor
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:11 AM
I don't see why it's so unrealistic for her to win rg, heavy topspin forehand and attacking backhand, solid serve, moves great, lost to eventual champ last year in the qf despite being injured, seems doable to me

thegreendestiny
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:15 AM
Anything can happen in the clay season. Remember Jankovic and Safina not so long ago, winning many Tier I's then crumbled in the slams. I worry that playing so many matches and peaking in the wrong tournaments will not do her well in slams.

duhcity
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:16 AM
Nothing would happen to the WTA.
She's not whoring tournaments. She's playing what the WTA mandates all top 10 (and presumably slam winners) should playing, and she's winning.

moby
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:21 AM
It doesn't matter because barring extremely unexpected circumstances (such as severe injuries, or amazing prodigies, or Serena and Kim never retiring), she will win a major within the next two or three years (and probably much sooner) and everyone will forget that she was a slamless number one just as they seem to have forgotten that Kim and Amelie both reached the top ranking years before they won a GS.

danieln1
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:33 AM
Martina Hingis didnt win a slam in 2000, finished number one, davenport finished number 1 in 2001, 2004 and 2005 without the slam either...

The tour will be fine if that happens to Caro, but it will be huge pressure on her if that eventually happens...

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2011, 06:30 AM
I dont see it as a big deal, if it happens.
Caroline is clearly a very good player, with a great chance to be YE #1.
If she doesnt win a major, she's 21 a year from now, still a very good player with years ahead.
Its true she should have beat Li. Maybe there is some Safina there, slam nerves.
But she still has years ahead if she stays healthy

You can tell from IW odds that bettors think she's a very good player.
Safina had a back injury. Something like that could happen, but Caroline has 14 titles, her nerves seem okay.

goat
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:28 AM
I don't like this title. Nothing is going to happen. I thin Caro will reach the quarters of each slam besides Wimbledon. I hope there is some tough competition at the slams though.

Njalle
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:34 AM
When I checked yesterday, Caro was the favourite to win RG on Bet Fair. So she certainly has a shot.

MaBaker
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:42 AM
It'll die.

tea
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Wouldn't be the end of the world. Prolly would only affect a couple of our mental TFers.:hug:

In any case, very unrealistic scenario. I mean, not winning a slam in 2011? Are you for real?:help:

debby
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:58 AM
some think Serena will be back at Wimbledon, or that she will be in a winning position at her comeback :help: have any of you thought that maybe either she wont be able to be back this year or will be rusty ? That would be normal. Sure she can do a 2oo7 like, but that was exceptional, and she played a bit in 2006. She might be out until after Wimbledon, so more than a year without playing.

Methinks Wozniacki's main rival in RG may be Fran (who imo is better than Woz on clay, sorry tewrj who laughed at me because I dared to say that), Kim on hc, and on grass Vera? Venus ? Kvitova?

GoofyDuck
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM
Caro should do some premiers without receiving any oncourt coaching for the duration of the tourney to train for GS imo... obviously not receiving coaching oncourt is making the difference.

Talula
Mar 21st, 2011, 09:47 AM
Martina Hingis didnt win a slam in 2000, finished number one, davenport finished number 1 in 2001, 2004 and 2005 without the slam either...

The tour will be fine if that happens to Caro, but it will be huge pressure on her if that eventually happens...

This is true. The pressure will be on Caroline and the 'debates' will continue on here. But the Tour will be fine.

I can see both sides: Caroline plays and wins the big non-slam tournaments and it's great to see her and she IS an asset to the Tour. Kim and co can't be arsed outside the slams and in many ways she and others are bad for the Tour.

It's up to the players who play to raise their levels. I believe Li and Vera can challenge, but then many who I thought would have failed. It's a shame Elena retired when she did, if she could have stretched it out a bit longer and kept her form from a couple of years ago anything could have happened, but that's life I guess.

Anyway, I think it's feasible that Caroline ends the year slamless and No 1 but it has happened before.

C. W. Fields
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM
This is why people believed she needed to do something in Australia or else

Caro would have a better shot at AO if it was the last GS of the season (as it once was) instead of the first. She always plays better with lots of matches under her belt. I don't know if we'll ever see her peak in January.

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2011, 10:58 AM
Caro would have a better shot at AO if it was the last GS of the season (as it once was) instead of the first. She always plays better with lots of matches under her belt. I don't know if we'll ever see her peak in January.Caro played well at the AO, just didnt finish against Li.
I've seen Sveta's whole career. She is not a better player than Caroline. Caroline beat her at the 2009 USO when they both knew that half was wide open. 2009 was Sveta's best year. Just buried her in the Dubai final.
Just keep getting to the semis, and sometimes you'll come thru, and if you have the right opponent in the final, you win majors.
Sveta beat Dinara, and Lena. You just have to keep getting to slam semis. They called Maria 'semi-pova', eventually she got her 2nd major.
Caroline should do what she's doing. Keep improving, keep winning these finals. It builds confidence.

selestribe
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:26 AM

Yes, and remember that many complained about that ... but actually, these 2 players had slams under their belts, Woz has none.
On the other hand, I don't agree on Woz has no chance to win RG. I actually think it's the slam she might win this year because her game looks suitable for clay, even if I pray that it would never happen.

thegreendestiny
Mar 21st, 2011, 11:35 AM
Yes, and remember that many complained about that ... but actually, these 2 players had slams under their belts, Woz has none.
On the other hand, I don't agree on Woz has no chance to win RG. I actually think it's the slam she might win this year because her game looks suitable for clay, even if I pray that it would never happen.

Of course she has a chance. However, can you imagine if she meets peak JJ in in the RG draw? Or if suddenly, AnaSveta gets her groove back during RG week. :help:

Shadowcat
Mar 21st, 2011, 12:20 PM
Nothing would happen...

miffedmax
Mar 21st, 2011, 12:28 PM
It will turn into a giant mime production company.

terjw
Mar 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Methinks Wozniacki's main rival in RG may be Fran (who imo is better than Woz on clay, sorry tewrj who laughed at me because I dared to say that), Kim on hc, and on grass Vera? Venus ? Kvitova?

Nothing for me to laugh at here though. There are a few players who could win RG and Fran and Caro are certainly amongst them. Also if Fran actually played Caro at RG - a good case could be made either way. I can't bring myself to think that Fran will do it twice in a row. But she is definitely a player who could win it.

I just thought in your other post that it was ridiculous to say Fran was better than Caro ignoring the rest of the year. The wins the H2H everything else. In fact I wasn't totally sure you were serious or it was just some bait that I took.

Valanga
Mar 21st, 2011, 03:14 PM
At the end of 2008, Ivanovic was 21 with a slam.
I wonder if Caro would win her first this year.
If not it will be much difficult

Irute
Mar 21st, 2011, 03:15 PM
Nothing happens to WTA :shrug:

thrust
Mar 21st, 2011, 05:25 PM
This is why people believed she needed to do something in Australia or else. Now, she'll have the pressure and publicity of winning in RG and Wimbledon (which won't happen) and it'll weigh heavily on her going into USO -- even though it shouldn't, considering we (and the writers) know she never will have a chance at RG and WIM.

I would think the FO would be Caroline's best chance for a Slam this year. Clay is not Kim's or the Williams best surface, the other top players are too erratic whereas Caro is consistant and can rally forever unless she is overpowered, which is harder to do on French clay.

jenny161185
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:43 PM
Im the same I think caroline has a great chance at RG! The only thing I disagree with is during the final of IW , british commentator Sam Smith, who is usually very knowledgable on the game, mentioned of Woz winning Wimbledon this year... Sure why not?! She loves the grass!! I think even Sharapova in her current form would dismantle her on grass!

goldenlox
Mar 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
Watch the last point of Caro's win at IW. It is a packed house. And thats not for the men, because they all know an award ceremony is coming, and then the men have to warm up.
Just like Caro-Maria at the USO, these are packed stadiums for womens matches, with Caro winning.

Wozniacki is great for the WTA. A young marketable superstar.

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM
It'll die.

lucky for you Caro will live on :inlove: she will always be there for you

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Caro should do some premiers without receiving any oncourt coaching for the duration of the tourney to train for GS imo... obviously not receiving coaching oncourt is making the difference.

i'd actually agree with this as this was my stance when the concept was first introduced and then with jj, safina being slamless #1s....you need to be able to calm yourself down and figure out what's going on on court without someone coming to tell you....safina was doing well, just like caro is now, and getting deep in slam draws, until crunch time, which was where they got accustomed to bringing in their coach to help...

Caro should spend the next tournaments on clay not using on court coaching...prepare herself not to hear her father at crucial moments...not saying it will guarantee success or hinder success if she doesn't, but it'd be an important step

Sammo
Mar 21st, 2011, 08:36 PM
The WTA will selfdestroy, the 15 greatest female tennis players of all time have an underground operations center in Antarctica, and if they all agree they will detonate the bombs that are in every wta tournament waiting to be activated. Selfdestroying code is Pushniacki666