PDA

View Full Version : The incident in Minsk

Crockett
Mar 19th, 2011, 11:41 AM
When I first heard that Viktoria Azarenka and Caroline were going to play a charity match in Minsk, I was surprised that this would even be possible in Belarus.

Later when I saw the pictures and videos that showed the involvement of the local dictator Lukashenko, I was disgusted. It was obvious that Caroline was participating in an event that I would have hoped she could have avoided. I have no idea whether she knew in advance that it would be like this. If she did know, I would be disappointed that she went ahead and participated.

Caroline makes her own political decisions. I reserve my right to disagree with them -- if indeed this was a political decision of hers. Even so, I continue to be an avid fan of hers.

TennisFan66
Mar 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
When I first heard that Viktoria Azarenka and Caroline were going to play a charity match in Minsk, I was surprised that this would even be possible in Belarus.

Later when I saw the pictures and videos that showed the involvement of the local dictator Lukashenko, I was disgusted. It was obvious that Caroline was participating in an event that I would have hoped she could have avoided. I have no idea whether she knew in advance that it would be like this. If she did know, I would be disappointed that she went ahead and participated.

Caroline makes her own political decisions. I reserve my right to disagree with them -- if indeed this was a political decision of hers. Even so, I continue to be an avid fan of hers.

With all due respect, but are you on drugs?

Further, as I see you've got a Danish flag up there and its been discussed and debated in numerous articles and forums, how the freaking F can you not have answers to your questions?

C. W. Fields
Mar 19th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Caro's response to her Minsk critics.

http://sport-tube.com/thumbs/H/P/HP-4uMC8Cbg.jpg

Crockett
Mar 19th, 2011, 04:12 PM
its been discussed and debated in numerous articles and forums, how the freaking F can you not have answers to your questions?
I wasn't aware that I was asking any questions. I thought I was making a statement.

Nena_xxx
Mar 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Caro is such nice girl. She didn't deserve all this sh*t! And her charity game has nothing to do with politics! :ras:

Burisleif
Mar 19th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I'm not aware of a statement by Caroline supporting any particular political persons or parties. However, an academic chooses to define her actions, is down to his academic reputation, and unfortunate as it might be he is able to hide behind his academic status without having to justify his or her own personal position either morally or politically.

As for the statements calling for Caroline's reprimand by politicians of the SF and V, on allegations of caroline being involved in a situation from which political capital was made by a politician (I will avoid comment on what is subjective democratic validity), I have to say I am highly disappointed that the media has failed to pick up on the fact that these very politicians are in fact, making political capital out of the very same situation.

Was caroline right or wrong to A) play the event, or B) Embrace the politician hijacking the event?

A) I'm not aware of any moral or other law that states that provision of aid must be discriminatory. on the contrary, many aid organisations will provide medical and or other assistance to either party in a need situation.

B) Probably not, but its a large assumption that she knew who the said politician was, and if so we are back to point A in which the object is to provide impartial aid.

So, did in fact aid get to the injured party? I have not seen a valid report that it did not, so I assume yes.

Dose anyone, and that includes that includes "all" the parties making political capital from the event, actually believe that Caroline went to Belarus for the principal aim of supporting a Politacal agenda?

I think we all know the answer to that question is an emphatic NO.

I hope and know that Caroline is fully aware of her support in Denmark. I also hope that the Danish electorate are wise to the antics of the particular politician at the centre of this affair and vote with their heads rather than their social obligation, and that the said politician leaves office asap.

Playing toilet polotics with Denmark's sweetheart is going to lead to a job cleaning toilets if there is any justice on earth.

terjw
Mar 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I think what Caro did with her BFF Vicky was great and she can be proud of herself. She went there for an EXO, to help her BFF, and for charity - that's all.

I don't think backing off when a politician hijacks the beginning of the EXO would have been a good idea either and if she were to leave - it would have to be together and Vicky wanting to do it and being abslutely firm and comfortable about it.. God knows what could have happened and that could have really blown up into something nasty. Caro handled herself correctly and professionally.

Ldo95mf
Mar 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
No one in sports have the brain to have political ideologies. She just help her friend and have fun whit it.