PDA

View Full Version : All about the Championships of LA! updated with latest Belgian articles Nov 14

Lleykimmy1
Oct 27th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Do anybody know if the draw already came out for the Sanex WTA Championship 2002 in Los Angeles ??

I hope that Kim will have a good draw !!!

GO KIMMIE !!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

Bigkimfan
Oct 27th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Yeh, because she has a lot of points to defend!!! You can do it Kim!!! Come on!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Oct 27th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Does anybody know what the website-adress is? Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Oct 27th, 2002, 09:11 PM
The Tour championships website is http://womenstennischampionships.com/

spiritfullfrog
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:00 AM
How did she go here last year?
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Good Luck Kim!!

Elleke
Oct 28th, 2002, 07:08 AM
she reached the semis last year

Pinkie
Oct 28th, 2002, 02:52 PM
According to a Belgian newspaper, Kim leaves for LA on Wednesday.

Lleykimmy1
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:56 AM
Do they show the Championships on TV ?

Thanks for answering !

BelgianGirl
Nov 1st, 2002, 01:41 PM
The Championships will be on Eurosport whole week! :)
Karl Vannieuwkerke also said they would show it on Canvas too! (I guess they'll try to show Kim and Justine's matches live. :)

Bigkimfan
Nov 1st, 2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by BelgianGirl
The Championships will be on Eurosport whole week! :)
Karl Vannieuwkerke also said they would show it on Canvas too! (I guess they'll try to show Kim and Justine's matches live. :)

When did he say that???

Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleyki
Nov 1st, 2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Bigkimfan

When did he say that???

Last week after Kim won in Luxembourg :D

Bigkimfan
Nov 1st, 2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Lleykimmy1
Do they show the Championships on TV ?

Thanks for answering !

The Home Depot Championships Presented by Porsche will also be broadcast in Australia (Fox Sports), China (CCTV), India (TAJ Sports), Singapore (Super Sports), Thailand (UBC), Japan (Gaora), United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi Sports), Belgium (VRT), Yugoslavia (BK TV), and Canada (Sportsnet).

Come on Kim!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 1st, 2002, 05:28 PM

The Home Depot Championships Presented by Porsche will also be broadcast in Australia (Fox Sports), China (CCTV), India (TAJ Sports), Singapore (Super Sports), Thailand (UBC), Japan (Gaora), United Arab Emirates (Abu Dhabi Sports), Belgium (VRT), Yugoslavia (BK TV), and Canada (Sportsnet).

Come on Kim!!!

Thank you very much ! :wavey:

Nov 2nd, 2002, 01:01 AM

Come on Kim!!!

FoxSports?!...I wish I had cable TV

Primula
Nov 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Thank you so much VRT !!! :kiss:

arn
Nov 2nd, 2002, 10:19 AM
I hope they will go far, because I'm in Brussels during the week so friday is my first day I will be able to watch tv.

spiritfullfrog
Nov 2nd, 2002, 11:08 AM

Adding to this, its also broadcasted in Optus Sports 1, for all those Aussies. But the only thing is, that its on live at 1 in the morning and stuff, so i can't watch it, because i have something stupid called school to go to!!! :(

Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by spiritfullfrog

Adding to this, its also broadcasted in Optus Sports 1, for all those Aussies. But the only thing is, that its on live at 1 in the morning and stuff, so i can't watch it, because i have something stupid called school to go to!!! :(

...so don't go to school. Fake a sickie :p

Bigkimfan
Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Like me, when kim played the semi-final at the australian open!!!

Lleykimmy1
Nov 2nd, 2002, 12:56 PM
Like me, when kim played the semi-final at the australian open!!!

I had the same problem as you at the Australian Open, but I didn't go to sleep when she played the semi final and I watched the match. I also did that last year when the Masters Cup was in Sydney, I watched all the matchs of Lleyton during the night;)

Bigkimfan
Nov 3rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
What do you think of the draw???????,:fiery:

Come on Kim!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Verve
Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:10 AM
I don't think Kim's draw is THAT bad... but I had hoped for Juju and Kim not to meet before the semi's!

I think Chanda's very tough to handle. But if Kim plays like she did the past month and keep on ALL of the focus she has, she should win in 2 tough sets. If she isn't 100% (physically, mentally and playing-wise), she'll have trouble with Chanda!

If Juju wins her match against Elena, I think we're gonna see Kim winning their quarterfinal. I just see Kim as the better indoorplayer, always playing her very best tennis at this time of the year. If it comes to a Juju-Kim quarter, I'd say Kim in 3 sets. (maybe 2 if Juju's off her game and Kim's very much on)

I think the keymatch really is the 1st round match against Chanda. If she wins that one, she could go far IMO.

IF she'd reach the semi's, I'd also give her a good chance: she's already beaten Lindsay 2 times this season and now she's well rested and in great form. Lindsay would be tired if she'd reach the semi's, because she'd probably have to beat Monica and Venus, which is a very tough task. Either semi-final opponent of Kim would come out tired.;) It's up to Venus to be tuned up well. If she's in good form, she'll reach the final, otherwise, Kim has got good chances of reaching it!

But let's look at one match at the time. This 1st rounder is veeery tough IMO, and she definitely COULD lose it if she doesn't play her very best!
Anyways: Go Kim!!!:D The best of luck to you, I really hope you can win that 1st match of yours!:)

Lleykimmy1
Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:22 AM
I just think the way Kim played the last few weeks is great and if she plays like that she can beat everybody, even Serena or Venus or someone like that. She lost in 3 sets against Serena in Tokyo so it means that it's not impossible for her to win.

I know that our Kimmie is going to fight for every point as she usually do and I think she can beat everybody, don't you think so?

GO KIM CLIJSTERS, YOU CAN WIN THE CHAMPIONSHIPS YOU ARE THE BEST !!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Nov 3rd, 2002, 11:23 AM
Thanks!!!!!! You made me happy!!!!!!;)

Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:20 PM
I believe that Kim is capable of winning...it's just a matter of everything falling together later this week

angele87
Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Her draw is tough but could be a lot worse IMO! She can't face Serena before the final and can't face Venus or Lindsay before the Semis... but her draw is still tough though! Chanda is a very good player and could be dangerous in the first round. And Justine is very in-form having won a couple of weeks ago... Kim is very in-form too though so I'm not too stressed about that :O I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Lleykimmy1
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:26 PM
I just have a little question, where did you find the draw of Los Angeles, because I can't find it on the web site of the Championships ?

Thank you !

GO KIM CLIJSTERS YOU ARE THE BEST PLAYER OF THE WORLD GO KIM CLIJSTERS YOU ARE THE BEST PLAYER OF THE WORLD

Bigkimfan
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:29 PM
You can find it on WTA world or on www.sanexwtatour.com!!!

Peridotpixie
Nov 3rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty optimistic about this draw, for several reasons:
a) Kim isn't in Serena's quarter
b) Kim isn't in Venus' quarter
c) Kim didn't draw Lindsay first round
IMO, those were the three biggest dangers. Chanda is good, yes, but Kim is better on this surface, and she's in great form. Chanda has been a little inconsistent lately. If Justine could beat her last week, I think Kim has a big chance against her next week. In all honesty, you're just not going to get an easy match at the championships. ALL the players are good, and unless you're Serena Williams, you can expect to have to watch your back first round. IMO, the weakest players going into this event are two of the seeds--Dokic and JCap.
So, in the end, Kim has a decent draw. We'll just have to hope she makes the best of it.
In good news, Chanda is an American, so I'll hopefully get coverage. :)

Lleykimmy1
Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
You can find it on WTA world or on www.sanexwtatour.com!!!

Thank you very much !! :wavey:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 3rd, 2002, 07:19 PM
I have found that article on the WTA web site, it's about our Kimmie :

Kim Clijsters: Higher and higher

Kim Clijsters’s Championships record has been one of steady improvement, so don’t be surprised if you see the 19-year-old playing off in the Monday-night final.

Clijsters is making her third appearance in the season-ending event. In her debut at Madison Square Garden in 2000, the Belgian upstaged Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario to reach the quarterfinals, where she lost to Russian sensation Elena Dementieva in three sets.

Last year, she went one better, beating both Dementieva and Arantxa Sánchez-Vicario to reach the semis and came within a tiebreak of the final. In her semifinal against Lindsay Davenport, the American injured her knee on the second last point of the match, and while she managed to hobble to victory, she was unable to contest the final against Serena Williams.

Clijsters has endured an up-and-down year, reaching the semifinals of the Australian Open, rising to a career-high No.3 ranking and winning Hamburg with a brilliant three-set win over Venus Williams in the final.

The rest of the European swing was disappointing, falling in the third round of Roland Garros and the second round at Wimbledon. But after traveling without a coach for a couple of months (splitting with long-time mentor Carl Maes just before Wimbledon), Kim teamed up with her former junior coach Marc Dehous for the US hardcourt circuit.

The results were almost immediate, with Clijsters reaching the Stanford final, beating Davenport en route. She pushed Venus to three sets in the San Diego quarterfinals and lost in the 7-5 third set against Amélie Mauresmo in the US Open fourth round, in what some are calling the match of the year on the Sanex WTA Tour.

After a runner-up finish at the Toyota Princess Cup in Tokyo (pushing Serena to three sets), Clijsters was very impressive indoors. She reached the semifinals of Leipzig, then defeated Davenport, Mauresmo and Hantuchova in consecutive three-setters (saving match point against Mauresmo in the semis) to win her first Filderstadt crown.

Two weeks later she tasted victory in Luxembourg for the third time in four years, conceding the fewest games en route of any Tour singles champion in 2002 (14).

In fine form and with a tank full of gas, get ready for a big performance from a free-swinging Kim Clijsters.

spiritfullfrog
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:04 AM
GOOD LUCK KIM!!

spiritfullfrog
Nov 4th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Kim's Draw

1st Round ~ Chanda Rubin

Quater Finals ~ Justine Henin or Elena Dementieva

Semi Finals ~ Lindsay Davenport, Venus Williams or Monica Seles

Finals ~ Serena Williams, Jelena Dokic, Jennifer Capriati or Daniela Hantuchova

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall I reckon its a pretty good draw!!

ans
Nov 4th, 2002, 01:07 PM
hello everyone,
like many people I suddenly decided to post a reply. I've know this site for some time and I really like it, because -of course- I'm a real kim-fan. I recognize myself in many of you:) I'm Belgian dus ik ook wel in het nederlands klappen but I suppose it's better to talk in English. This morning I ordered some tickets for me and my friends for the Proximus Tennis Night in Charleroi where Kim and justine will be competing. You should all go there beacuse I think it will be really fun. Well, that's it for the moment, see you all soon again and of course good luck to kim (and justine) in LA :wavey:

valentine
Nov 4th, 2002, 03:37 PM
I've places for the tennis nigth too!!! It will be great...!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Nov 4th, 2002, 06:48 PM
Attention US people! We are FINALLY going to get coverage of a Kim match! ESPN2 has Kim Clijsters vs. Chanda Rubin listed at 8:30 on Wednesday. Too bad it conflicts with The West Wing! ;)

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Yeah, another Kim fan! Welcome Ans! :)

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:55 AM
from Bob Larson's tennis letter this week:

#5 Kim Clijsters is probably at her best indoors, and has two titles this year. Chanda Rubin got off to a very slow indoor start but eventually made the Linz semifinal. This may come down to who is feeling better.

In the quarterfinal, barring major upsets, we would see

(1) Serena vs. (8) Dokic or Myskina
(3) Capriati vs. (7) Hantuchova or Maleeva
(5) Clijsters vs. (4) Henin
(6) Seles or Davenport vs. (2) Venus

Serena seems pretty well set. Venus -- who, after all, lost in Moscow to Maleeva -- seems less secure. Clijsters and Henin have never met indoors, and Henin won their meeting this year at Rome -- but overall, Clijsters leads 4-2 over the past three years, and Henin’s two wins were on clay and grass. Clijsters seems pretty secure. The big contest of the quarterfinal is really the Capriati match: Indoors, both Hantuchova and Maleeva are better than the Australian Open winner. But it’s Hantuchova’s first Championships, and Maleeva has never won a match here. Can Capriati exploit?

By the time we get to the semifinals, our crystal ball just doesn’t have the juice to give us even a guess as to what will happen....

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Larson about the rankings:

The Rankings. This year’s championships is a bit different from past years, since the points from last year are already off. That cost Lindsay Davenport, dropping her to #12, and even Serena Williams saw her margin over sister Venus get chopped in half. There will be no defending points this time. They just add. (At least for the top contenders: Davenport and the Sisters, as well as Capriati and Seles. Players with a lot of events, like Jelena Dokiva and Anastasia Myskina, will see points come out of their Best 17.)

The Championships is listed as having three-quarters the points of a Slam. It doesn’t, actually -- it has three quarters of the round points, but quality points are not multiplied as they are at a Slam. The net result is more on the order of two-thirds of a Slam. It’s still the biggest non-Slam on the Tour. The winner here, even if she plays only the lowest-ranked opponents, should pick up at least 625 points. And it’s more likely to be in the 650-750 point range.

In theory, that meant the #1 ranking could be on the line, because Serena Williams leads sister Venus by 752. But in reality, it won’t come up. For one thing, Serena gets 67 points just for showing up. And in the actual draw, Venus can’t get maximum points anyway. So our Top Two are set: Serena and Venus. There is an actual contest for #3, though, with Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters and Monica Seles and Daniela Hantuchova all theoretically capable of making it. In practice, it’s unlikely that any of them will. [ Why not? Kim has what it takes imo]

But the #4 ranking, currently held by Justine Henin, is legitimately in play, as is everything else down to #9, currently held by Jelena Dokic. Dokic can’t really hope for #4, but she could certainly move ahead of Seles or Hantuchova or even Clijsters. [I don't see that happening, though, not the way Jelena has been 'til now!]

Pinkie
Nov 5th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Not sure where to post this, since it doesn't really have to do with anything. But since this was published today, I'll just pop in in this thread. There is a long article on Russia's star players in today's LA Times. Myskina was also interviewed and, of course, was asked about the now infamous pictures of her on as horse, naked. In any event, she was talking about the reactions to that picture and one of the things she says:

"Kim Clijsters came to me, 'Are you naked on the horse?' " Myskina said. "I'm
like, 'No, I wasn't naked. I was with underwear.' She said, 'We couldn't see.'
There still was underwear there. She's like, 'OK that's cool.'"

ooh, Kim :) Are you really supposed to make in-depth studies of nudie pictures ?;) Tut tut.

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:22 PM
LOL Tine! (and Kim :D )

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 09:26 PM
Great news for the Belgians:

Kim's match will be LIVE on TV tomorrow, La Deux has confirmed they will show Kim live!

Canvas should too, but I don't know for sure yet... :( (always so slow :fiery: )

Anyone having info on Canvas? 9.30 PM should fit their schedule, though, as they only have some movie and a documentary planned that night. That's something that can be easily resheduled.

Nov 5th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Pinkie
Not sure where to post this, since it doesn't really have to do with anything. But since this was published today, I'll just pop in in this thread. There is a long article on Russia's star players in today's LA Times. Myskina was also interviewed and, of course, was asked about the now infamous pictures of her on as horse, naked. In any event, she was talking about the reactions to that picture and one of the things she says:

"Kim Clijsters came to me, 'Are you naked on the horse?' " Myskina said. "I'm
like, 'No, I wasn't naked. I was with underwear.' She said, 'We couldn't see.'
There still was underwear there. She's like, 'OK that's cool.'"

ooh, Kim :) Are you really supposed to make in-depth studies of nudie pictures ?;) Tut tut.

LMAO! Well someone had to ask

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Kim in Belgian De Standaard newspaper, Nov 6, 2002:

(own translation)

"I never start a tournament with the idea that I can win it. And certainly not at the Masters. Everyone is dangerous when only the top 16 is playing. Favourites? Serena and Venus, of course. Especially because it's in front of their home crowds. It will be tough, but I don't mind it. I prefer nothing else than playing top matches and the atmosphere will be fantastic. A big show, typical American."

The huge pic that came with this article is in the new pics thread btw.

KaseyL
Nov 5th, 2002, 11:56 PM
On a side note, Kim will play her first round match while it's her dad's birthday on Wednesday too (he turns 46)

Nov 6th, 2002, 01:24 AM
Thanks. The only Kim articles printed here are in referance to Lleyton. I would never get any decent interviews without the people from this board

kevijntje
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:26 AM
yes kim's match on tv tonight :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
ggggrrrrr@canvas for not showing kimmy but watching la deux is good for my french :D

KaseyL
Nov 6th, 2002, 12:29 PM
:mad: @ Canvas, indeed!

A luck we have La Deux (having more financial troubles than Canvas has, nevertheless they show Kim LIVE :bounce: )!

KaseyL
Nov 6th, 2002, 01:01 PM
To all the people understanding Dutch: there is a very interesting interview in this week's Flemish magazine Knack, THREE pages :), with Carl Maes. It's way too long to translate it right now, but I'll take the highlights which are interesting to us, Kim fans!

So this is it re Kim:

Source: Knack Magazine, Nov 6, 2002

An interview with Carl Maes

(translation by Ingrid)

"Mauresmo, Kim and Justine have their own characteristics and quality, but I don't think that they will be able to threaten the Williamses at the absolute top."

Re this year: "Justine had to really comfirm her status for the first time. Kim was a step ahead in this regard. ...
Kim started the season well in Australia with a semi final, but then it has been a bit less though, due to the shoulder. She has had some three difficult months. It has been a rather normal season as of the clay court season, as of Hamburg in fact.
Of course, with her status she can't be satisfied with Roland Garros and Wimbledon, nevertheless one has to allow some room for errors and failures for players at that age.
Half-way the season she has received some negative critics about less motivation, my departure, too, although I have never been worried.
She has spent the summer alone and has noticed by doing so what it means to work alone and arrange everything. Things that are taken for granted could then be experienced as valuable. That was a good lesson. She has taken the time to find a coach, a good support team. She has that now and everything is running very smoothly again."

Re her points of attention in order to maintain her spot around the top 5:
"Kim will be around the top 5 quite consistently. She is spontanuous, enjoys the game, doesn't have stress.
These are all positive elements. Knowing Kim and her family, I know that they all prefer to rather see a happy Kim at number 10, than an unhappy Kim at number 2.
There is still room for progress in her game. With Kim it is on her serve and the first return in a rally. She is absolute top re the return on serve of the opponent. She still can become a bit more consistent in the rallies, but that's a matter of experience.
Justine is more vulnerable in all aspects of the game. She can fall back at a lower level than Kim. But I think that it is mainly mental."

Bigkimfan
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Thanks a lot!!!!!!! :D

Pinkie
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Thanks. Ingrid. let me know if you need help translating the whole thing.

My VCR is all set. Go Kim:bounce:

Bigkimfan
Nov 6th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Thanks. Ingrid. let me know if you need help translating the whole thing.

My VCR is all set. Go Kim:bounce:

Already???? It's still 6 hours and 30 minutes untill they start!!!!:D

Pinkie
Nov 6th, 2002, 04:22 PM

Already???? It's still 6 hours and 30 minutes untill they start!!!!:D

Well, yes. But I will be at work when she plays, so I had to program my vrc this morning. Be prepared. It's the Boy Scout's motto :)

Primula
Nov 6th, 2002, 05:12 PM
the match is also on Eurosport !

kit
Nov 6th, 2002, 07:41 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Thanks for the article Ingrid!!:bounce: :bounce:

kit
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Good luck against Chanda Rubin,Kim!!

:bounce: :bounce: Come on!!! :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:02 PM
damn, Kim's match has been postponed, is the second one now! :mad:

Very considerate for all the fans who have programmed their VCRs for Kim's match at 12.30 LA time... :rolleyes:

btw Kim's coach was interviewed by Flemish Radio 1 tonight (aired in the sport news) :

he complained about the bad organisation:

- it appears they even had to redo the lines as they had drawn a wrong court (30 cm too short :rolleyes: )

- Kim couldn't practise there either: they had to go somewhere else on an outdoor court (what Kim and her coach didn't like, of course)

- he also added that there were problems with transport too

He said the organisation as it was so far wasn't really in line with the prestige of the tournament itself. They weren't pleased with it at all.

On a positive note, he told Flemish radio news that Kim is in good shape, that he loves to work with her as she is such a professional, that the new team is working out very well, all is still new to him he said, but he is very satisfied with Kim's results and form.

Think that this quite was what he said.

Bigkimfan
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Come on Kim!!! Beat Rubin!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Come on Kimmie, you can beat Chanda Rubin !!!!! :wavey:

Come-on-kim
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:31 PM
COME ON KIM!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

spiritfullfrog
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:34 PM
How long till she plays?
I'm at school right now...;) ..waiting....;)...and i've got my yearly exams in ten minutes....:rolleyes:

Nov 6th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Spiritfullfrog, I don't think you'll make it. Justine is still playing.

Ingrid, thanks for the interviews

josefien
Nov 6th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Kim's warming up... Go Kim
Btw our Kimmy is very flashy in her new outfit! I like it alot!

Come-on-kim
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Come on Kim!!!!

Great outfit!!!!

~|Naomi|~
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Woohoo Kimmie won 6-1 6-2

I knew Kim would win but not this easy, our Kim is on fire.

Good Luck against Henin:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

What does Kims new outfit look like?

Lleykimmy1
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:40 PM
Well done Kim !!

I like her new outfit very much, red is a beautiful color who fits her very much !! :wavey: :wavey:

josefien
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:44 PM
Great match Kim!
If both Kim and Justine play on friday as they did today, Kim will blow Justine off the court!!

She wears a white skirt and a red top with white letters. Also the shoes are red and white, but I don't like them as much as I like the rest of her outfit.
But overall, Kim looked real beautiful today!

~|Naomi|~
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the description of the outfit Josefien:kiss:

& I so hope Kim blows Henin off the court;)

Hawk
Nov 6th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Are the red shoes Fila? I didn't know they had any red tennis shoes. Everyone seems to dislike the shoes hehe :o

Nov 6th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Congratulations on the win Kim.
Anyone got photos of the outfit?

Nov 6th, 2002, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Hawk
Are the red shoes Fila? I didn't know they had any red tennis shoes. Everyone seems to dislike the shoes hehe :o

Someone (Angele, I think) said they are the same shoes Jennifer wore earlier this year

Hawk
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Were these the shoes she was wearing?
http://www.fila.com/images/athletes/tn_capriati_ferrari_5_gi.jpg
Sorry..i'm just curious

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Do we have an interview yet?

Elke
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:40 AM
Yep Hawk, those are the minging shoes:p

Nov 7th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Elke
Yep Hawk, those are the minging shoes:p
They're not that bad! At least she didn't wear the grey outfit again

angele87
Nov 7th, 2002, 01:12 AM
I don't think they're the same as Jennifer's then if those are the ones Kim were wearing... I think the ones Jen had were all red :confused: Anyways those shoes are kinda minging :o

Hawk
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:57 AM
They don't even look like tennis shoes to me. They look like old school basketball shoes to me...oh well.

pcabenojar
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Here's an article I've found....it's nice to see both Kim & Justine win but too bad only one of them can advance to the SF.

I'm hoping that Kim continues her good form and hopefully she'll be able to reach the SF and who knows she might have a chance to win the title.

Henin, Clijsters open with victories
By KEN PETERS
AP Sports Writer
November 6, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Fourth-seeded Justine Henin defeated Elena Dementieva, and No. 5 Kim Clijsters breezed past Chanda Rubin on Wednesday in opening matches of the WTA Championships.

In night matches, Lindsay Davenport was to face No. 6 Monica Seles, followed by No. 2 Venus Williams vs. Patty Schnyder of Switzerland. Defending champion and top seed Serena Williams begins play Thursday night against Anna Smashnova.

The opening singles matches during the afternoon drew fewer than 200 spectators to Staples Center, which seats some 20,000.

Henin, a 20-year-old player from Belgium who has been steadily improving, kept Dementieva off-balance and beat her 6-3, 6-3 with a blend of well-placed ground strokes and successful forays to the net.

Henin, who has reached six finals this year and won twice, won 11 points in 13 chances at the net, and her accuracy down the lines kept Dementieva scurrying side to side.

The 21-year-old Russian made 40 unforced errors, 13 more than Henin.

Henin broke Dementieva's service in the sixth game of the opening set to go up 4-2, then held on her next two service games to take the set.

Henin took control in the second by breaking Dementieva's serve in the seventh game.

Dementieva lost the final point of each of the last two games of the match on a pair of poorly executed drop shots. The first went into the net in the eighth game, and the next was a high bouncer in midcourt that Henin easily reached and slashed a crosscourt forehand to end the match.

Clijsters, her groundstrokes crisp and on target, needed only 57 minutes to beat Rubin 6-1, 6-2.

Rubin's second serve was particularly shaky -- she double-faulted nine times -- and she managed to hit just five groundstroke winners, while her 19-year-old foe from Belgium hit seven backhands and six forehands for winners.

The single-elimination tournament pits the top 16 singles players and top eight doubles teams based on points accumulated during the year. The results will determine the final WTA Tour rankings for the year.

The winner of the Monday night's singles final will collect $765,000 of $3 million in prize money.

Katja
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:54 AM
congratulations Kim!!!!

Btw, I've heard that Canvas is going to broadcast the quarter final between Justine and Kim live. So that's good news for the dutch speaking fans.

:kiss: :bounce: :kiss: GO KIM!!!! :kiss: :bounce: :kiss:

-Fienesse-
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:05 AM
What time will they broadcast it and when?

pcabenojar
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Another article, got this from Yahoo.

Belgians dominate first day of WTA Championships
By Steve Keating

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters registered convincing straight-sets wins as the $3 million WTA Championships made a quiet return to the United States with the two Belgians playing to a near empty arena.

Fourth seed Henin's 6-3 6-3 victory over Russian Elena Dementieva and fifth seed Clijsters's 6-1 6-2 demolition of American Chanda Rubin sets up an all-Belgian quarter-final that will spark huge interest in their country.

But the two first-round matches generated little tennis interest on a sunny afternoon in Los Angeles.

With the sound of wine being poured in the luxury private suites breaking the eerie silence inside the cavernous Staples Center, Henin's show was far more impressive than the attendance figures as the season-ending extravaganza made a muted return to the U.S. after flopping miserably in Munich last year.

A few hundred spectators sprinkled across a hall that regularly jams in crowds of 18,000 for Los Angeles Lakers NBA games created a vacant atmosphere for what is the most lucrative event in all of women's sport.

"It was hard today because it wasn't so crowded," said Henin, who is getting married next week. "I like to play when there are people in the stadium, so it's hard to find the great motivation.

"It was hard to find the energy to play my game but when I had to play in the second set I did."

Riding the momentum from her title victory in Linz, Austria at the end of last month, Henin claimed the only break in the opening set at 4-2.

BROKEN BACK

Working from the baseline, the Belgian took the initiative in the second with a break to go in front 3-2 but was immediately broken back as Dementieva battled to stay in the match.

But Henin continued to press, sweeping the next three games to clinch the set and match.

The winner of two of her last three events, Clijsters needed just 57 minutes to dispose of Rubin, the only player to have beaten world number one Serena Williams in her last 37 matches.

"I think there were about six Belgian people sitting a little bit up in the stands and they were more vocal than all the people together," said Clijsters.

"I think a lot of people have to work during the day but I think once it comes to the big matches, like tonight, there will be a lot of people."

The quarter-final clash will mark the seventh time, including the fourth this season, that the Belgian rivals have met as professionals, Clijsters holding a 4-2 edge.

Henin claimed victory in their last meeting, on clay at the semi-finals in Rome.

"It's always a little special," said Henin. "It's a different match for us than to play another player.

"We have to deal with that because for sure we will play each other many times in the future.

"For sure in Belgium it is a special match. I will try to be focused on myself and try to forget the situation.

"We are both professional and know what we have to do."

The first evening session of the tournament will feature an intriguing all-American clash between Monica Seles and Lindsay Davenport followed by Venus Williams against Swiss Patty Schnyder.

Nov 7th, 2002, 08:52 AM
The tounament publicists don't deserve to keep their jobs after this poor effort. Martina has done more to promote the tournament than they have

pcabenojar
Nov 7th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Another article from www.********************, make sure to read the last paragraph. :)

Kim-Justine to engage in final ’02 Battle of Belgium
By Matthew Cronin - ********************

FROM THE WTA HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS - After watching the inspired Justine Henin and Kim Clijsters cruise to straight-sets victories on Wednesday at the Staples Center, one observer guaranteed that one of the Belgians would take home the $3 million WTA Home Depot Championship title.

While there is still a Williams or two to knock off before that dream is realized, both Henin and Clijsters were impressive on Wednesday, with Henin dispatching the erratic Elena Dementieva 6-3, 6-3 and Clijsters blowing out a disinterested Chanda Rubin 6-1 6-2.

Henin played smart, defensive tennis much of the day, patiently retrieving and waiting for the Russian to bury an inside out forehand into the net, knock a backhand down the line long, stone hand a volley or double fault.

”She made the errors,” said Henin of Dementieva, who committed 40 unforced errors to 27 off her racket. “She either makes mistakes or winners. It’s hard to find a break. I had to be careful in my defense. I tried to be aggressive on the return when I could.”

CLISTERS CRASHES RUBIN

The 19-year-old Clijsters – who has won two of her last three events – humiliated Rubin in just 57 minutes. It was an awful result for Chanda, who appeared to be spaced out much of the day and couldn’t keep a ball in the court.”

“I felt like I had to show in the beginning of the match I was very competitive out there, and I was trying to be very aggressive and keeping her under pressure,” said Clijsters. “I was dictating most of the points. I wasn't really worried.”

The quarterfinal matchup between 20-year-old Henin and Clijsters will be the seventh time the two Fed Cup teammates have played, with Clijsters holding a 4-2 edge.

Henin won the last time the two played, on clay in the semifinals in Rome, but Clijsters beat her twice in January in Sydney and at the Australian Open on a similar surface to one they are using in Los Angeles.

Of course, their key match occurred in the semis of ’01 Roland Garros, when Justine choked a huge lead and allowed Kim to come back and win a three setter.
It’s still pretty obvious that it’s Henin who’s the more nervous player when they step on court. Clijsters has a more carefree personality, while Justine is a tightly wound scrapper.

“I don’t focus on the player standing in front of me,” Clijsters said. “I remember the first time I played Steffi Graf at Wimbledon, my coach was telling me, ‘Don’t worry about who’s standing there.’ It’s not easy to say when you are there the first time. Now. I’ve got the experience and I know I’ve got to play my best if I want be able to beat my opponents.”

Even though she has been a top echelon player for almost two years now, Henin has always been a half a step behind the younger Kim. Henin has more variety to her game, but Kim knows how to hit through her. Brussels and much of the French and Flemish speaking populaces of Belgium will be watching when the two take the court on Friday.

NATIONAL EVENT WHEN THEY PLAY

"It's always a little special," said Henin. "It's a different match for us than to play another player. We have to deal with that because for sure we will play each other many times in the future. In Belgium it’s a special match. I will try to be focused on myself and try to forget the situation. We are both professional and know what we have to do."

Clijsters has ended the year ranked ahead of Henin the past three years, but says that it doesn’t matter to her who ends up the year as Belgium’s best player.

“I would be happy for her,” said Clijsters. “It’s great for Belgium to have Justine and myself. I think that’s how Belgium feels as well. They always compare us. I’d be really happy after everything that Justine has gone through, if she’s becomes No. 1 in Belgium.” Henin’s mother, Francoise, died when Justine was 12.

If Justine wins Friday’s match, she’s guaranteed to stay ahead of Clijsters in the yearend rankings. Even if she loses to her countrywoman, Clijsters will have to win the title to stay ahead of Henin – a Herculean task playing in the Williamses and Lindsay Davenport’s backyard.

But Clijsters says she’s playing her best tennis of the year and isn’t counting herself out.

“I’m going to give it another week and be very disciplined and professional,” Clijsters said. “I know next week that I can eat and do whatever I like.”

Elke
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the articles.
What did Kim tell to Mary-Jo Fernandez?

Bigkimfan
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Well done Kim!!! Now beat Henin!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Katja
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Kim4ever
What time will they broadcast it and when?

they will certainly broadcast it on friday, I don't know the exact time, depends on the schedule of the championships....

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Were these the shoes she was wearing?
http://www.fila.com/images/athletes/tn_capriati_ferrari_5_gi.jpg
Sorry..i'm just curious

Lol! Yes these were the ugly shoes that Kim wore :o :p But a bit more red I think. I told my Mum that they look more bowling shoes :o :p But the rest of the outfit was great :D Red really suits Kim, it makes her look feisty as well as beautiful :) It was a great performance by Kim, though really poor from Chanda. imo Justine will not be able to stop Kim.

& :kiss: @ Elke & the use of the word Minging ;)

angele87
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:11 PM
2002 HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

November 6, 2002

KIM CLIJSTERS

Defeated Chanda Rubin, 6-1, 6-2

Q. Kim, you're an awfully big name to be playing here with few people because they're just getting started. How did you motive yourself?

KIM CLIJSTERS: You know, it's pretty easy to motive yourself for such a big event like this one, especially playing in the Staples Center. I came here a few times to watch the Lakers play. It's a dream to be playing tennis here. It was pretty easy to motivate myself.

Q. How are you feeling right now?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I feel fine. You know, I had a few days off before I came here, and I'm used to the jetlag by now. I'm feeling better than what I was a few days ago.

Q. You say you motivate yourself having to play in a big place like The Staples Center but when the Lakers played, there was 20,000. Today there was 300 or 500.

KIM CLISTERS: It's true. We don't get to play a lot in these type of arenas, and that's what makes it even more special. I think, of course, there was about six Belgium people sitting a little bit up in the stands. They were more vocal than all the people together. It's the beginning of the tournament. I think that's the case in most of the tournaments. I think once it comes to the big matches, like I'm sure tonight, I think a lot of people have to work during the day. I'm sure tonight when Monica and Lindsay are playing, I think or hope there will be a lot of people.

Q. Normally, when you play someone like Chanda Rubin, I would expect there would be longer points. I was a bit surprised how one-sided the match was today.

KIM CLIJSTERS: I felt like I had to show in the beginning of the match I was very competitive out there, and I was, you know, trying to be very aggressive and keeping her under pressure. She was starting a little bit -- with the serve, she was giving me a few breaks in the beginning of the first seven, so I felt even more comfortable. Even if I lost a break, I felt like I was dictating most of the points. I wasn't really worried out there.

Q. To play Anna in the second round, does it mean anything?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Of course, it's always nice in one way and a pity in another way. It would be nice if we could play each other in a semi or final, but the other way, I don't think I've played her that many times this year. Last year I played her a few more times. I think I played her in Sidney, Australia. It's nice we play an exhibition next week as well. We can prepare ourselves for that one.

Q. What advice would you give someone who wants to start playing tennis?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Just to enjoy it. That's the most important thing. That's what I did. I think it's very important. When I'm in my own club in Belgium now, and I see these young kids playing, some of them are happy to be out there and running to every ball, but there is a lot of kids looking at their mom and dad thinking, why am I out there. I think that's a pity. The parents are pushing them. I think that's the wrong challenge for the kids. They really have to be willing to be out there and enjoy playing tennis because it's a fun sport.

Q. When did you start playing?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I started when I was six. It's been a while.

Q. Do your parents support you?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Of course they do. They didn't push me to keep going, though. They said the moment you're sick of it, you can always stay home and go back to school or try to do something else, not that I want to go back to school. That's been great for me. I think I have been very lucky with my parents.

Q. Kim, are you 100 percent physically?

KIM CLIJSTERS: So far.

Q. Is that why you have been playing so well this fall?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I think so. I think that's definitely something to do with it. I also felt a lot more motivated. At the moment I can practice a lot more, when the doctors gave me the all-clear to practice as much as I wanted to, that was really, you know, a really happy moment for me to hear that.

Q. You seem a little more motivated than some of the other players are towards the end of the year. Is that because you didn't have some of the results that you wanted earlier in the year?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I think so. Even if you see last year, I felt like I played better at the end of the last year as well. It's not that I had such a bad middle of the year last year, so I just like the end tournaments. A lot of them are close to home so I'm driving there with a car. It's a different feeling than being far away.

Q. Do you think Justine gets a little more nervous playing you than you do playing her?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have no idea. I think you have to ask her what she's feeling. On my side, I don't focus on the player standing in front of me. I remember the first time I played Steffi Graff in Whimbledon, my coach was telling me, don't worry about who's standing there. It's not easy to say that when you're there for the first time. Now, I've got experience and I know now I've got to play my best tennis if I want to be able to beat the opponents.

Q. Does it matter to you who the best player in Belgium is or is it okay if it's her?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I would be happy for her. I don't care at all. I think it's great for Belgium to have Justine and myself. I think that's how Belgium feels as well. They always compare us. I'm really happy after everything Justine has gone through, I'm really happy if she becomes No. 1 in Belgium. I'll be really happy for her.

Q. What do you think about playing on this court in comparison to other courts?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I like the surface. I really like it.

Q. Do you have any relatives?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have a sister who travels as well and plays tennis. She's two years younger than me. She's in Australia at the moment playing in some 10,000 or $25,000 tournaments. Maybe in the future we can play doubles or singles against each other. There's still a long way to go. I hope so.

Q. Kim, to what do you ascribe the reason for the rise in tennis in Belgium?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have no idea. A lot of people have asked me that, and you know, it's really tough to give, you know, a very clear answer. I think it's just luck that we have. If you see Justine, it's not like we come from the same club or federation or coach. Each of us went our separate ways. Obviously, we travel together but we each travel with a coach. I don't know. I think it's just luck.

Q. Every country is trying to figure out the formula right now.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I don't know.

Q. You're saying it's luck?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, America is not doing too bad either, I think.

Q. How do you see this tournament? Is this a good way to end the year? Is it a good way to end on a high note?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Definitely, I think so. If you were playing one of the smaller tournaments at the end of the year, a lot of players wouldn't be motivated or that aggressive or not looking forward to playing, but I think everyone who's here knows it's the last tournament and they're going to give theirself 100 percent before they can have a few weeks off. That's how I feel. I feel like I'm going to give it another week and then, you know, be very disciplined and very professional. I know next week that I can eat whatever I like, I can do whatever I like. Yeah, that's the positive thing as well.

Q. Justine said before that she had some kind of wedding plans ahead. What about you?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Not yet. You will know when it's come this far.

Q. Close or no?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no, we just started going out. I think we have -- almost three years, but we still have time. We're still young. Thanks.

End of FastScripts….

Lleykimmy1
Nov 7th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Thank you very much for all those articles and interviews of Kim !!! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

Bigkimfan
Nov 7th, 2002, 04:44 PM
Thanks!!!!!! Come on Kim!!!! Beat Henin!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

ikke
Nov 7th, 2002, 06:54 PM
This is an artical from 6/11, before Kim played her match against Rubin!

Kim Clijsters loves to play today at the masters!

Brussels
For Kim Clijsters are the masters at a really good time. Now her shoulder and the change off the coach are over, she wants to end a difficult season with a good prestation in LA.

Only the top 16 are allowed to participate at the Masters. So this is no warm-up, but Kim doesn't find that bad: "For me it is hard to motivate against unknow players. But against Capriati, Mauresmo,... I can do better. Also against the Williams-sisters. Against them I play my best matches."

To win
But against playing strong and winning is a big difference. The spectator thinks that the end off Clijsters and Henin at the masters is, when they meet a Williams. For Kim is that Venus, in the quarterfinal.
"We can take away Serena and Venus from the number 1 and 2", says Clijsters,"but that doesn't mean that we can't beat them. At least I don't start with that mind. I play to win, also against Serena and Venus. You only have to have luck and play to them when they have a bad day."

Calm
Luck is written in the stars. Clijsters isn't superstitious, but she is a fataliste. What must happen, happens. That explains why she is so calm. " I believe that there is for everything a reason. Nothing happens like that. Take the Us open, where Lleyton didn't made the final. The reason is 9/11, labour day: it must be an American final. In the other way too. How many times didn't I try to play doubles with Justine? Everytime I asked, she already had a partner or she didn't wanted to play doubles. Only in Stanford we would have play doubles, but then Justine stepped on her own finger! For me it is clear, we aren't allow to play doubles with eachother."

Don't mind the spelling errors, my English isn't really good, sorry!

Peridotpixie
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:21 PM
"We just started going out"
Uh....sure you did. Three years, yeah, that's like yesterday.

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Peridotpixie
"We just started going out"
Uh....sure you did. Three years, yeah, that's like yesterday.

I thought that too Jilli! I was like Kim please....:o :p

Come-on-kim
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by ikke
How many times didn't I try do play doubles with Justine? Everytime she already had a partner or she didn't wanted to play doubles. Only in Stanford they would have play doubles, but then Justine stepped on her own finger! For me it is clear, we aren't allow to play doubles with eachother."

LOL!!

Kim you'll play with her don't worry!!

Elke
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:47 PM
No, she won't!:):p

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:27 PM
How many times didn't I try do play doubles with Justine? Everytime she already had a partner or she didn't wanted to play doubles. Only in Stanford they would have play doubles, but then Justine stepped on her own finger! For me it is clear, we aren't allow to play doubles with eachother."
LOL

No, she won't!:):p
& lmao! :p

kit
Nov 7th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the interview and the article!!!:) :) :)

Lleykimmy1
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:17 PM
I just have a little question, do you know what time do Kim and Justine play the quarter final tomorrow ?

Thank you

GO KIM, YOU CAN WIN THIS MATCH !!!:wavey: :wavey: :bounce: :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Sure. Clijsters vs. Henin is the first match tomorrow, 12:30 LA time, which is 3:30 ET in the US. You'll have to check out what that is for wherever you live. :)
Kim's gonna win! Gooooooooo Kim!!

Hawk
Nov 7th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Yay..finally a match that will be on TV for me! :bounce:

Cilla
Nov 7th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Thanx Jilli :) That'll proabably be about 8:30 CET :( Which is not that great for me, but I'll try and watch it, if not I'll just watch the highlights early the next day.

Oh yeah I was thinking wouldn't it be funny if Kim won her 3rd car out of 4 tournies ;) What would Mitsubishi have to say this time :p Shame she doesn't read this thread, if she knew what dedicated fans we are she might give the cars to us ;) (The porsche is mine :p)

Go Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 8th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Peridotpixie
Sure. Clijsters vs. Henin is the first match tomorrow, 12:30 LA time, which is 3:30 ET in the US. You'll have to check out what that is for wherever you live. :)
Kim's gonna win! Gooooooooo Kim!!

Thank you very much !

OF COURSE KIM IS GOING TO WIN, SHE'S THE BEST !!!!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

Nov 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
thanks for the articles

ans
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:40 PM
For the Belgians among us who still don't know. Canvas is broadcasting Kim and Justine's match (live) at 21h40. Enjoy it!!:wavey: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:38 PM
Come on Kim!!!! Win this match!!!!!!

It would be a great birthdaypresent!!!:D :bounce: :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 8th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Come on Kim!!!! Win this match!!!!!!

It would be a great birthdaypresent!!!:D :bounce: :bounce:

Does it mean that you have your birthday ? If I'm correct, I wish you all the best !!!!!

GO KIMMIE WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN BEAT JUSTINE AND MAKE THE SEMI FINALS OF THE CHAMPIONSHIPS !!!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

Bigkimfan
Nov 8th, 2002, 04:19 PM

Does it mean that you have your birthday ? If I'm correct, I wish you all the best !!!!!

GO KIMMIE WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN BEAT JUSTINE AND MAKE THE SEMI FINALS OF THE CHAMPIONSHIPS !!!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

thanks!!!!!:wavey:

kit
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Good luck against Justine!!
:bounce: :bounce: Come on!! :bounce: :bounce:

Nov 8th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Kim won 6-2 6-1 :)...but I think Justine's UE's helped a lot

gokimmie
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:56 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Nov 8th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Justine pretty much self destructed. I think she forgot who was supposed to be giving a gift to whom. ;)
Not that I'm complaining.

Come-on-kim
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:00 PM
CONGRATS KIM!!!!!!!!

She's top-5 again!!!!

Congrats!!!!

Jelena was in the stands!!!!

Stefke
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:10 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Yay Kimmy!!! Way to go!!!!:bounce: :bounce:
Let's kick some asses in the semis!!!!:p :cool:

Mercury Rising
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Congrats Kim, great win :D

Lleykimmy1
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:42 PM
WELL DONE KIMMIE, I KNEW THAT YOU COULD BEAT JUSTINE !! NOW I BELIEVE THAT EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE AND IF KIM CONTINUES TO PLAY THE WAY SHE DID, SHE COULD WIN AGAINST MONICA OR VENUS !!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

GO KIM WE BELIEVE IN YOU !!!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

KaseyL
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:46 PM
:bounce: Kim :) :bounce:

First article:

Clijsters Wins Battle of Belgium to Reach Semi-Finals

November 08, 2002

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters won the Battle of Belgium by storming into the semi-finals of the WTA Tour Championships with a 6-2 6-1 demolition of Justine Henin on Friday.

The clash marked the seventh meeting between the Belgian rivals and produced the most lopsided result, Clijsters needing just 59 minutes to brush past Henin and collect her fifth win.

The fifth seeded Clijsters will now await the winner of an all-American quarter-final between Venus Williams and Monica Seles scheduled for Friday evening.

While the contest would have held huge appeal in Belgium, the match sparked little interest on a rainy day in Los Angeles with only a few hundred spectators sprinkled across the cavernous Staples Center. :rolleyes:

Clijsters took control of the match when Henin doubled faulted to hand her compatriot a break and 2-1 lead.

Henin held her serve only twice more in the entire match, Clijsters sweeping through five straight games to take the opening set and a 2-0 lead in the second.

spiritfullfrog
Nov 8th, 2002, 10:59 PM
Here's another article........

Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Kim Clijsters whipped Justine Henin in Friday's all-Belgian quarterfinal at the Sanex WTA Tour's season-ending Home Depot Championships presented by Porsche.

The fifth-seeded Clijsters easily blew away the fourth-seeded Henin 6-2, 6-1 on the indoor hardcourt at the Staples Center.

The talented Clijsters will meet the Venus Williams-Monica Seles winner in Sunday's semifinals here.

Clijsters pasted Henin in 58 minutes, utilizing four service breaks in the process. Henin was never in the lopsided match, as she committed 32 unforced errors and managed only five winners throughout.

The 19-year-old Clijsters went 3-1 against the 20-year-old Henin in 2002, including a perfect 3-0 on hardcourts.

Two other quarterfinals will be staged on Saturday, when world No. 1 French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion Serena Williams meets eighth-seeded Jelena Dokic and third-seeded Australian Open titlist Jennifer Capriati battles Bulgarian Magdalena Maleeva.

Serena captured this event last year, in Munich, when she won via walkover against an injured Lindsay Davenport.

The winner of this year's $3 million event will claim $765,000.

spiritfullfrog
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Belgium's Kim Clijsters eased into the semi-finals of the WTA Tour Championships with a surprisingly one-sided 6-2 6-1 win over compatriot Justine Henin.

The match marked the seventh meeting between the Belgian rivals and produced the most lopsided result, Clijsters needing just 59 minutes to brush past Henin and collect her fifth win.

Kim Clijsters
The fifth seeded Clijsters will now await the winner of an all-American quarter-final between Venus Williams and Monica Seles scheduled for Friday evening.

"Those matches are never easy," Clijsters said.

"There's always a bit of tension because I know her so well. But that's tennis. We can't choose how the draw was made."

Henin committed 33 unforced errors in front of a sparse afternoon crowd at Staples Center.

Tired

"I was really tired. I was sweating a lot and that's not normal for me," Henin said.

"It's the end of the season. Everybody is tired. When you're in the top 16, it means you've played a lot of matches."

Clijsters took control of the match when Henin doubled faulted to hand her compatriot a break and 2-1 lead.

Henin held her serve only twice more in the entire match, Clijsters sweeping through five straight games to take the opening set and a 2-0 lead in the second.

~|Naomi|~
Nov 8th, 2002, 11:55 PM
Well done Kim:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good Luck for your next match I know you can win and get to 4:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all the articles! :kiss:

from espn:

Clijsters Clobbers Henin

by ap

It was supposed to be the battle of the Belgians, but only Kim Clijsters played as expected. Justine Henin seemed tense and made 33 unforced errors on Friday at the WTA Championships. Clijsters won 6-2, 6-1 to move on to the semifinals where she'll face the winner of tonight's match between Venus Williams and Monica Seles.

Tense Henin made 33 unforced errors

LOS ANGELES -- Bride-to-be Justine Henin headed home early to prepare for her upcoming wedding after a 6-2, 6-1 loss to Kim Clijsters in an all-Belgian quarterfinal at the WTA Championships on Friday.

No. 2 Venus Williams met sixth-seeded Monica Seles in an all-American matchup Friday night. The winner will play the fifth-seeded Clijsters on Sunday in the semifinals of the season-ending tournament.

Henin offered little resistance against her childhood friend. Clijsters owns a 5-2 record in their rivalry with three of her wins coming this year.

"Maybe that's the worst I've ever played against her,'' said Henin, a friend of Clijsters' since they were youngsters who traveled and roomed together at junior tournaments.

"Those matches are never easy,'' Clijsters said. "There's always a bit of tension because I know her so well. But that's tennis. We can't choose how the draw was made.''

Henin committed 33 unforced errors in front of a sparse afternoon crowd at Staples Center, where a leak in the 20,000-seat arena's roof caused rain to drop on a third-row seat that wasn't occupied.

"I was really tired. I was sweating a lot and that's not normal for me,'' Henin said. "It's the end of the season. Everybody is tired. When you're in the top 16, it means you've played a lot of matches.''

Henin, 20, plans to wed Pierre-Yves Hardenne next Saturday in Belgium. But she said she was focused on the tennis ball and not wedding bells.

"I completely forgot that I'm getting married next week,'' she said. "That's not the reason.''

Clijsters is on the guest list, although she'll be attending alone since boyfriend and men's No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt will be in Shanghai for the ATP Tour's season-ending championships.

What would it mean if Clijsters and Hewitt each won their tour's respective championship?

"It would be nicer if it was in the same facility,'' she said. "You would notice it a little more but now he's so far away.''

After a season stuffed with 67 tournaments in 33 countries, many of the 16 players at the championships have complained of being tired and are eager for the tennis year to end.

Not the 19-year-old Clijsters.

"It's your last few matches so I'm really motivated to try to finish the year on a positive note,'' she said. "I feel fine. Maybe some of the other players are really looking forward to going home. I know next week I'll have a few days off.''

Clijsters hit deep groundstrokes and played angles that forced Henin off the court. She won 71 percent of her trips to the net and held a 15-5 edge in winners.

______

Note: Kim said last week she wasn't going to Juju's wedding at all, as she'll leave for Australia the day before? think ap has it wrong...

josefien
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:04 AM
I've said it elsewhere, but it's strange. Today I can't even be happy Kim won.
I'm a huge Kim fan, but I felt so sorry for Justine today, especially on those horrible mistakes. Her face and attitude after those faults was so sad to see. This she never deserved! And I thougt even Kim had problems to show her happiness. She is so compassionate! It must have been a strange win for her too.

Nov 9th, 2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Come-on-kim
CONGRATS KIM!!!!!!!!

Jelena was in the stands!!!!

Well they needed someone there to watch them!!
Good to see Jelena supporting the other top women

Hawk
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:09 AM
I wonder who Jelena was rooting for ;)

spiritfullfrog
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Kim will be playing Venus in the semis, because Seles lost to Venus...

Good Luck and win, I would hate to see another all Williams final!!

~|Naomi|~
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:41 AM
This is an article about the Fila outfit

Capriati, Clijsters, Dokic Unveil New Fila Fashions

Jennifer Capriati, Kim Clijsters and Jelena Dokic are bringing the future to the current season-ending tournament in Los Angeles. The trio of Fila endorsers are wearing Fila fashions from the Italian sportswear company's spring 2003 line on the court in Los Angeles this week at the Home Depot Championships.

Fila's 2003 apparel collection features Ferrari red and white as well as Velo Mesh inserts paired with Fila's Performa
fabrication. Performa is a unique stretch fabric that provides superior wickability for maximum dryness and comfort. Capriati, Clijsters and Dokic pair a white/red skirt with either a red/white v-neck tank or zip-up polo with self-fabric collar. Off-court, the Performa tennis warm-up will complete the look.

The latest in Fila footwear, the Fila Magna, is also making its debut at the Championships. The red and white shoe features a slick asymmetrically designed full grain leather upper and a fine molded support structure has been embedded into the upper to provide ultimate lateral and medial support. A tied down lacing system provides a snug fit. The sole unit is made of a sculpted lightweight CMR midsole with an Evergrind rubber outsole.

Lleykimmy1
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by josefien
I've said it elsewhere, but it's strange. Today I can't even be happy Kim won.
I'm a huge Kim fan, but I felt so sorry for Justine today, especially on those horrible mistakes. Her face and attitude after those faults was so sad to see. This she never deserved! And I thougt even Kim had problems to show her happiness. She is so compassionate! It must have been a strange win for her too.

I'm really happy because Kim won and will now play the semi finals, but you're right, I also felt like Kim didn't want to show too much her happiness of having won at the end of the match because it was Justine.

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: GO KIMMMIE !!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

Lleykimmy1
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Here is another article about Kim :

Is Clijsters capable of taking the WTA title from the Williamses?

By Matthew Cronin

Fred Mullane
Camerawork USA, Inc.
FROM THE HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS – If fifth seed Kim Clijsters of Belgium continues to play at the level that saw her humiliate her countrywoman, Justine Henin, 6-2, 6-1 in the quarterfinals of the $3 million Home Depot Championships on Friday, she has a very good chance of challenging for the title.

That can't be said of too many players left in the draw, with the obvious exception of No. 1 Serena and partial exceptions of Venus and Jennifer Capriati. Title runs by Monica Seles, Maggie Maleeva or Jelena Dokic would be simply stunning.

But in earning herself a potential match up against second seed Venus, Clijsters was the fast, strong, consistent, lethal with her forehand and deadly with her first serve. She completely overwhelmed the dead-legged Henin by adeptly controlling the center of the court.

"It's the most consistent and solid I've played against her," said Clijsters. "I never made the little errors that would allow her back into the match."

The two played an entertaining first six games of the contest, but after Clijsters broke her to 2-1, Henin was unable to break back when she committed an unforced error. Henin held another break point down 2-3, but Clijsters ripped a forehand crosscourt winner, causing Henin to bang her racket on the floor.

Henin than began to completely unravel, ending the contest with 33 unforced errors and only five winners. The 19-year-old Clijsters broke Henin five times, clubbed 15 winners and only committed 22 unforced errors.

"Maybe that was the worst I've ever played against her," said Henin, who is now 2-5 against Clijsters. "She played solid and has played well in the last few tournaments. She played much better than me."

HENIN: EXHAUSTED FROM LONG SEASON
Henin, who will be married to her fiancé Pierre Yves Hardennes next week, said that she's exhausted from a long season and that the stress from her impending nuptials had nothing to do with her poor performance.

"I completely forgotten that I'm getting married next week," Henin said. "That's not the reason. I was really tried throughout the match. I could feel that least in the first game, I was sweating a lot and that's not normal."

Clijsters – who will attend Henin's wedding in the south of France – will now the winner of the Venus-Monica Seles match. The Belgian has a 1-3 record against Williams and has already played her three times his year: beating her in three-setter on clay in the finals of Hamburg; losing to her on hard courts in straight sets in the Stanford final; and falling to her a tight three set quarterfinal in San Diego.

As was noted before both of Clijsters matches against Venus at Stanford and Palo Alto and San Diego, she's one of the few players on tour who's athletic and powerful enough to hang with the Williamses. It's her mental and strategic game that is suspect. Now that her shoulder is 100 percent, she should be able to keep Venus off her back should she serve well. She's mentally fresher than Venus is at this point, so should Venus survive Seles on Friday night – no sure thing – she's ripe for Kim to take a bite out of her.

"The mental part is the most important thing and it's hard for me to say what Venus thinks on court," Clijsters said. "I know I'll have to go out there and fight for every ball, not only the tennis part, but also mentally. I have to be ready for every shot and I have to know when she's on, I can't worry about it. ... I've beaten her before, so I don't have to be afraid."

FIRST SERVE COMES FIRST
Clijsters says that one of the keys to victory will be her first serve percentage, which let her down in the third set of San Diego. Giving Venus any wiggle room is like letting a Great White out of a shark tank.

"You have to be ready from the beginning because that's where they can really finish off a match if [the Williamses] feel your not focused or aggressive," Clijsters said. "I can rally with Venus and return her serves but if she's on, it's always tough."

Should Monica Seles happened to shock Venus – who wiped her out at the US Open – Clijsters will also face a stiff test, because she's 0-1 against Seles, losing to a three-setter to her this spring in Miami.

But unlike at least half the field here who showed up whining about how tired they are from the long season despite setting their own schedules and earning record prize money (Henin banked $99,000 for her desultory effort), Clijsters appears as motivated and spry as kindergarten student about to receive her first art award.
"Maybe some of the other players are looking to go home," Clijsters said. "Maybe that's why they are getting a little tired. But I want to end the year well. I'm really motivated to finish the year on a good note.

Bigkimfan
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:07 AM
yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now beat Venus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

kit
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:51 PM
:bounce: Yeah!!Good job Kimmie!!!Good luck against Venus tomorrow.You can beat her!!!:bounce:

-Fienesse-
Nov 9th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Yeah, show them all that you are THE Kim!

Lleykimmy1
Nov 9th, 2002, 01:25 PM
GOOD LUCK FOR YOUR SEMI FINAL I KNOW THAT YOU'LL FIGHT FOR EVERY POINT AND I'M SURE YOU CAN WIN THIS MATCH !!!!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: GO KIM !!!:wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

ikke
Nov 9th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Kim her interview:

INTERVIEW
WITH
KIM CLIJSTERS
Defeated Justine Henin, 6-2, 6-1

Q. Is that the best match you have ever played against her?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think the most solid one. I think I was consistent throughout the whole match. I didn't have a period where I started to make a little more errors. I think that was the main key today.

Q. You had a lot of deuce games. Did you sort of fight harder?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. I think in the deuce games if you serve, I think it's very important you put a first serve in so you keep her a little under pressure from the beginning. She returns really well and she likes to put pressure on your second serve.
It's very important, I think, against her and everyone, it's very important to have a high percentage of serves. When it comes close in those situations, that's the most important part of trying to win that game.

Q. Are you peaking right now, just the best you've played all year?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I enjoy the indoor tournaments. That's a bit different. I get to travel by car, you know, drive to the ones in Germany and the ones in Switzerland and in Luxembourg.
I feel more comfortable playing indoors. I think that's why I enjoy even here as well. I'm not driving here, but I've always did pretty well at the championships at the end of the year, and I really enjoy playing.
I think it's also a matter of, you know, it's your last week of the tournaments, your last few matches you play. I think I'm really motivated to try to finish the year on a good note.

Q. Do you have more motivation to beat a country woman?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's never nice to beat them. It's nice for me. On the other hand, you feel, you know, if it would have been me, you know what it feels like, and it's, you know, never nice to play them.
Of course, it would be nice to play each other in the semi or final in the second round. That's tennis and we cannot choose how the draw is made.
I mean, yeah, I just try to block it out, I think. I just try. When I saw the draw, I knew I had a chance if I won our first match to play her.
Those matches are never easy. There is always a little bit of tension, and they're different because I know her so well. It's a matter of trying to block it out who is standing in front of you.

Q. Once you've gotten the victory, does it feel sweeter to beat a Belgian? Is it more satisfying?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's always nice if you can be in the semifinals of the championship. They're always nice, even if it's playing against Monica or playing against Dokic. They're always nice, but it's hard to say for me. The victory feels the same as against other players.

Q. Justine said she was a little tired. Several players have said that. You seem to be full of energy.
KIM CLIJSTERS: I feel fine. Like I said before, it's the last tournament of the year. I know I need it this way.
Maybe some of the other players are looking forward to going home. Maybe that's why they're getting tired.
I want the year to end well, and there is at least four or five matches you can play here. It's nothing, four matches, so you try to really focus, be very professional, make sure you have enough rest. I think that's what helps.
I know next week that I have some days off. I have to do a few sponsor things in Belgium but it's out of tennis. Within a few days I'll have some time off.

Q. On the court your level seems high enough to challenge Venus, but mentally do you feel you can do that?
KIM CLIJSTERS: That's the most important thing against everyone, also against Justine today. The mental part is so important, and, you know, it's hard for me to say, you know, how Venus will be, what she thinks on the court.
I know I have to go out there and fight for every ball. Not only like you said on the tennis part, but also mentally I have to be ready for every shot, and I have to know when she's on, I have to not worry about it.
You have to turn it around, and I think Monica, if she plays the way she did today sorry two days ago, then if she plays well, I think she beat her at the Australian Open I think it was, so there is always a lot of chances once you get to the quarters and semifinals, and a lot of players have chances against everyone.
Of course, the chances are a bit bigger with some players than the others. I'm not going to say I'll play Venus for sure. Of course, the chance is bigger.

Q. This is the third time you played in California, and you played Venus and you were close, especially in San Diego. What was the difference here and what are you going to do differently to play her this time?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Not that much. I played a really good match there. I fought until the end. My first serve percentage I wasn't happy about. In the beginning of the first set I got broken pretty early.
Even if you win that second set, you're out of concentration a little bit. You have to be ready from the beginning, because that's where they can really finish a match off in the beginning if they feel you're not as focused or aggressive, and that's what I learned out of that match.

Q. If you can return well against Venus, do you have a good chance of beating her, if you can shake her serve up some?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I'll try. I'll do my best. Everyone is always talking about Venus. She still has to play. It's hard, but like I said, every match is tough, even if you play Venus. I've beaten her before, so I don't have to be afraid, and I can rally with her and hit her return serves, but if she's on, it's always tough.

Q. Just about every match in this tournament has been pretty one sided.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. I don't know why.

Q. Is there a reason?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. I've noticed as well. I think the only three set match was Lindsay against Monica.
I told my coach, it's so weird they've got the top 16 playing against each other and there's hardly been even a 7 5. It's only been very short sets. It's strange. I've got no idea.

Q. How would you approach the match if you were to play Monica, any differently?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I might, you know, try to hit with a left hand and things like that, but mentally, I would just take it the same as if I were playing Venus. I always do.
Even if you play a higher ranked player, you are always a little bit more motivated, but I'm always ready for every match I play. I always try to do the same things. I'm pretty superstitious about that.

Q. What's your record against Monica? Excuse me for not knowing it.
KIM CLIJSTERS: Excuse me that I don't know. I've got no idea. I played her twice in Oppenheimer and once in Miami, and I lost.

Q. Kim, switching subjects a little, how important is it for Lleyton to finish the year,
No. 1?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I have no idea. I don't know. I'm sure if I would be in that position, it would be important. Of course, it's always nice to end on the top of the game. I think that's what everyone works for.
It happened last year for him. He can say I've been there once. It's always nice to have that in your career book.

Q. How nice would it be for you two to go back to back?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think that would be nicer if it was both in the same facilities, then you would notice a little bit more. Now he's so far away. I hope that he does and that he will get it.

Q. Describe your relationship with Justine. Are you friends?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I thought you were going to say with Lleyton. I mean, we grew up together. I started traveling with her from the age of 9, 10, so, always sharing rooms together, sharing coaches, hitting together, playing doubles together, I got to know her really well.
Once we started playing juniors and we went to the seniors, it sort of broke off.
She lives in the south and I in the north. We weren't practicing together. We had different tournaments and different schedules.
We've always kept in contact and we've grown up together, went from juniors to the seniors together, and it's pretty amazing how we started at the same thing and ended sort of always around the same ranking.
I'm really happy for her. With everything she's been through in her private life already, I'm happy it all went her way.

Q. That being said, are you invited to her wedding?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes.

Q. Is your dad traveling with you?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Sometimes, yeah. He's here now.

Q. Do you talk to him any about what's going on or do you try to keep away from tennis?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, he doesn't really know that much about tennis. That's why I've got my coach. If he would know a lot about tennis, I wouldn't have my coach.
He knows a lot about the mental part and being in a tough sport and stretching and those things, but I don't think he would ever help me changing my forehand grip or my backhand grip. It's great to have him here. It's really mental support for me.

Q. Are you in the wedding or going as a guest?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Going as a guest.

Q. Where is it?
KIM CLIJSTERS: In the South of France next week.

Q. Are you taking Lleyton?
KIM CLIJSTERS: He will be playing, I think.

Q. Who are you taking?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No one.

Q. What are you getting her for a wedding present?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I've got no idea. I have been asking her. She's moving into a new apartment. Probably something for her house.
We have to play an exhibition next week. I'll probably have to get it then. I don't want all the attention.

Q. You're playing an exhibition against her?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes, next week in Belgium. We did one last year in the North of Belgium. Next week it's in the South. It's a very weird thing in that country. If one thing happens in the north, then it has to happen in the south.

Q. You have had some pretty decent results in doubles this year. Are you going to keep up playing doubles next year?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I'll definitely try as much as I can. If I feel my shoulder is getting tired, then I won't. You know, even last year, playing with Ai Sugiyama, we had a great summer and we played finals at Whimbledon.
I enjoy playing doubles. It's more relaxing than singles. You can make jokes and have fun on the court. It helps with my singles as well, working on your return game and serve.

Q. Do you think the top players probably need to do that? It's probably a big debate in the current state of doubles.
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think so. I think it would be great if more higher single players played doubles. I think it would be great for women's tennis to see them play singles and doubles.
It can be tough because the top players get to the end of the tournament, and if she has to play both, it can be a little bit too much, maybe. I think it's a matter of planning your schedule and I think it's all possible.

Q. Is your shoulder a good deal less trouble for you now than when you played in San Diego?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I think so. A few weeks before San Diego, I started practicing a lot more. That definitely made me raise my game, and made me feel more comfortable playing on the court and made me serve better as well.
Yeah, I think I feel a little bit fitter than what I was out there, because I didn't play that many matches. I didn't play that well at the French and at Wimbledon, so I think I have that. It's something a little bit more than I had then.

Q. On a regular practice day, training day, how many hours do you put in on the court?
KIM CLIJSTERS: It's hard to put a specific. It all depends on how my body feels, I think, and what my coach wants me to do, I think, as well.
I think most of the time, if I practice a week before I have a tournament, I'll try to hit maybe an hour, two sessions of an hour and a half a day, maybe three hours a day, and go to the gym.
It all depends. One day, maybe three hours and then in another day just two, and then in December I'll maybe practice four to five hours a day to see how I'm feeling and how hungry I am to play.

End of FastScript. . . .

Peridotpixie
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Kim is going to finish the year top five!!

Bigkimfan
Nov 9th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the article!!!!!!!!

Come on Kim!!!!! Beat Venus!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

sanstamtam
Nov 9th, 2002, 07:19 PM
The wedding isn't in the south of France but in the south of Belgium:confused:

I heard that it was at Lavaux Saint Anne.

Nina_rus
Nov 9th, 2002, 09:51 PM
I wonder who Jelena was rooting for ;)

probably Kim :)

Kim was watching her match against Myskina and also the Capriati vs Maleeva match

Elke
Nov 9th, 2002, 10:56 PM
GREAT reporters...:rolleyes:
Q Just about every match in this tournament is one sided
Yeah, I don't know why.

Q Is there a reason?:rolleyes:

Stefke
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Elke
GREAT reporters...:rolleyes:
Q Just about every match in this tournament is one sided
Yeah, I don't know why.

Q Is there a reason?:rolleyes:

LMAO!!!!:p :p

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Who was she routing for??

Maggie or Jen??

Jen is one of Kim friend

but

Kim said in leipzig last year, that she liked Maggie's game because she was one of maggie's "fans" when she was young!!

spiritfullfrog
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by untitled2284

Well they needed someone there to watch them!!
Good to see Jelena supporting the other top women

Jelena's not the only one supporting the other players, I was watching a replay of the Capriati/Maleeva quater final, and Kim was there watching them!!

Isn't that our sweet, :angel: supportive Kim? :kiss:

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :):) :) :) :) :) :)

Lleykimmy1
Nov 10th, 2002, 04:54 PM
GO KIMMIE, I KNOW THAT YOU CAN BEAT VENUS !!!!! I BELIEVE IN YOU AND I KNOW THAT YOU ARE GOING TO WIN THE MASTERS !!!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce:

kit
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:01 PM
:kiss: :kiss: Thanks for the interview :kiss: :kiss:

:bounce: :bounce: Come on Kimmie good luck!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Well Kim won 5-0 in the first set when Venus retired with an injury. Yay for Kim making the final and taking #4 from Justine :D
:sad: for Venus who was crying after having to retire

spiritfullfrog
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Kim Won....she was leading 5~0 when Venus called for her trainer and then retired....she went off crying with her dad....

-Fienesse-
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Is Kim really becoming nr 4 now?? That would be so cool!!!

Stefke
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Kimmyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p :bounce: :bounce:
I sooooooooo happy!!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: Now take that titel Kimmy!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:45 PM
yeh!!!!!! Kim played great!!!! She made some incredible shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now win the title!!!!!!!! Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:50 PM
I'm so happy that Kim is in the final but at the same time so sad for Venus!!!!

COME ON KIM

Get well soon Vee!!

Lleykimmy1
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:53 PM
I'm really really really happy because our Kimmie is in final and she did some great shots against Venus. But in one way, I'm sad for Venus because she had to give up. I mean it would have been better if Kim had won on the court. Kim was disappointed when Venus gave up, and it seemed that she didn't know what to say, she didn't even smile, she was sad to have won because her opponent had to give up. Because our Kim is a real fair player !!!!!

But I really have to say that I'm so happy that she's in the final !!! For sure I'm going to get up tomorrow during the night a 3:30 pm to watch our Kimmie win the title !!

Go for it Kim, I know that you can do it !!!!!!

:wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey:

Yeah, I felt really sorry for Venus. Normally I don't (often she seems unbeatable and then you don't feel sorry easily) but today she looked really sad. I think she really wanted to play but soon saw that it was no use against Kim playing so good.

This means I'll have to watch the final tomorrow night. I'm very happy about it, but my teachers on Tuesday probably won't like it as much...

Anyway, GO KIM, GRAB THAT TITLE!!!!

ps: Kim about Belgium: It's a very weird thing in that country. If one thing happens in the north, then it has to happen in the south. LOL (but I think she's right)

Hawk
Nov 10th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Kim4ever
Is Kim really becoming nr 4 now?? That would be so cool!!!
Yup Kim is officially number 4 in the world :D

4. Kim Clijsters - 3312 points
5. Justine Henin - 3218 points

Lleykimmy1
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Just a little question : Can Kim become number 3 again if she wins the final ?

I'm already really happy that she is number 4, but I just wanted to know.

Thank you !!

Bigkimfan
Nov 10th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Just a little question : Can Kim become number 3 again if she wins the final ?

I'm already really happy that she is number 4, but I just wanted to know.

Thank you !!

No, because Capriati also reached the semi-finals!!!;)

Come on Kim!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:15 AM
I just checked the stats and in 3 matches Kim has only been on court for 2 hours and 8 minutes! :eek: She's obviously very fresh! The Serena/Jen match was actually longer than that at 2 hours and 11 minutes! :o

Pinkie
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:01 AM
Venus Williams retires from WTA Championships with leg injury
AP Photo

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
November 10, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Venus Williams' season ended abruptly when a leg injury forced her out in the first set of a semifinal against Kim Clijsters in the WTA Championships on Sunday.

Clijsters, the fifth seed from Belgium, led 5-0 when Williams called for a trainer. After a brief discussion, Williams approached the umpire to say she was done.

Wearing a white wrap on her left calf and heavy tape on her left ankle, Williams walked over to Clijsters, hugged her and then waved to the fans as she left the court to applause at Staples Center. Williams earned $191,000 for her 13 minutes on court.

Clijsters will play either No. 1 Serena Williams or third-seeded Jennifer Capriati in Monday night's final of the $3 million tournament.

Williams said she twisted her left ankle in a 7-5, 6-4 victory over Monica Seles on Friday night, but didn't feel the effects until Saturday night. The official diagnosis was a lower leg strain.

``I wasn't really able to move or get on my toes or change direction,'' Williams said. ``I was taped to the max. Things were already going pretty bad. I was trying to end the points quickly.''

Williams' quick exit brought back memories of her controversial departure from the Tennis Masters Series at Indian Wells, Calif., in 2001. She pulled out of her semifinal against younger sister Serena at the last minute with tendinitis in her right knee, triggering massive booing by the crowd.

Serena was booed heavily when she beat Clijsters for the title, causing the sisters' father, Richard Williams, to level racial accusations. Serena has said she will not play at Indian Wells again.

``I'll never forget that,'' Venus said. ``It was a pretty intense moment to go through.''

A year ago at the WTA Championships in Germany, Clijsters lost a three-set semifinal to Lindsay Davenport, who injured herself and pulled out of the final against Serena Williams.

``Maybe it's because of me,'' Clijsters said, grinning.

It was the fourth time in five years that Williams has pulled out from the season-ending championships that determine the WTA Tour's final rankings.

Three of her previous withdrawals came before she even played a match. Last year, she injured her left wrist practicing at home in Florida. In 2000, she had anemia and in 1998 she had left knee tendinitis. In 1999, she reached the semifinals before losing to Martina Hingis.

Clijsters' groundstrokes painted the lines and she won a game with a 111-mph ace as Williams barely moved off the service line. Clijsters broke Williams in the second game, then served a 40-love game for a 5-0 lead before the match ended.

``I saw she wasn't moving as well as she normally does,'' Clijsters said. ``I was telling myself, `Just focus on the ball and don't look at whether she's moving.'''

Williams won just six points and had seven errors in her brief time on court. Clijsters hit 21 winners.

``I just wanted to try to see what I could do,'' Williams said. ``I was a lot more disappointed than what I thought I'd be.''

A surprised Clijsters remained on court and hit balls with some fans.

Williams was playing her first tournament in a month and only her second since losing to Serena in the U.S. Open final in September. She finished the year with a 62-9 match record in 16 tournaments.

Williams withdrew from the Italian Open in May before her opening match with an injured right wrist.

Nov 11th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Congratulations to Kim on getting #4 and getting to the final of the Championships

pcabenojar
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Got this from Yahoo...read on, especially the last part. I'm so glad Kim won, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully, she wins the title. Good Luck Kim!

Venus injury ends hope of all-Williams final
By Steve Keating

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Venus Williams was forced out of her WTA Tour Championship semi-final against Kim Clijsters with a leg injury -- ending the prospect of an all-Williams final.

Williams appeared on court with her left calf and ankle heavily strapped and it quickly became clear that the world number two was moving badly as fifth-seeded Clijsters surged into a 5-0 lead.

During the change over Williams limped to her chair calling for the trainer and after a brief conversation walked over to shake the Belgian's hand.

It marked only the second time in her career that she had retired from a match through injury.

I twisted my ankle during my quarter-final with Monica (Seles) and I didn't really feel the affects until last night, said Williams. I was sitting in bed thinking my leg is hurting.

A lot of the time if you have an injury, with the adrenaline and everything, you don't feel it much. But I wasn't able to move much and change direction effectively.

I just discussed with the trainer about what I could do, maybe tape it further, but I was already taped to the max.

There just wasn't much I could do.

Venus's injury was a blow to a tournament which has been plagued by poor attendances. It had been expected that Venus would meet world number one sister Serena, who was playing Jennifer Capriati later, in the final of the WTA's showcase event.

RIDING THE MOMENTUM

Even without the injury, Williams knew she was in for a difficult afternoon against Clijsters, who was riding the momentum from victories in two of her last three tournaments and appeared to be one of the few women in the elite 16-player field fit and motivated for the $3 million extravaganza.

With Williams stuck to the baseline and clearly unable to chase down shots, Clijsters blasted away at her opponent, dropping just six points in the five games.

I didn't know before the match that she was injured but once play started I saw she was not moving as well as she normally does," said Clijsters.

It's not like this is a small tournament so I knew she must have had a pretty serious injury.

So I was surprised. It's never nice beating a player who has to retire. I think the crowd was here to see two singles matches.

Right now it's really hard for me to believe I am in the final.

pcabenojar
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Another article...

Clijsters in final as Venus quits
From correspondents in Los Angeles
November 11, 2002

BELGIUM's Kim Clijsters has advanced to the final of the $US3 million WTA Tour Championships here, second-seeded American Venus Williams retiring from their semi-final with a leg injury.

Clijsters, the fifth seed, led 5-0 when Williams, after consulting the trainer, called it a day. She had started the match with her let calf and ankle taped and clearly lacked her normal range of movement.

"I don't know what was the problem, but I assume it was where she had the tape," Clijsters said. "Once we started playing the match I could tell she wasn't moving as well as she usually does."

Clijsters now awaits the winner of the second semi-final between world No. 1 and top seed Serena Williams and third-seeded Jennifer Capriati.

Venus Williams' exit put paid to the prospect of another all-Williams final. Serena got the better of her elder sister in the finals of the French Open, Wimbledon and US Open already this year.

Clijsters, who battled a shoulder injury earlier this season, said the suddenness of her entry into the final made it hard to grasp. But she thinks she has playing well enough to challenge either Serena or Capriati.

"I have to play my best tennis to beat either one of them," she said.

Clijsters was two points from victory over Lindsay Davenport in the semi-finals of last year's WTA Tour Championships in Munich but lost in a third-set tiebreaker.

Davenport then withdrew from the final with a knee injury aggravated in that match.

"Maybe it's because of me," Clijsters said jokingly, but added she was sorry to see the match end as it did.

"It's never nice when you beat a player who has to retire," she said. "It's tough. I just tried to focus on the ball and not look at who's standing on the other side of the net."

Agence France-Presse

spiritfullfrog
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:05 AM
in the sanexwta website, there is a poll asking who you think will win and 63% :eek: think Kim will win!! And only 37% :eek: think Serena will win. 3869 people voted!!

This shows how many more people are believing that our Kim can beat the big names!! :D

Good Luck Kim!!

josefien
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Serena hit 42 winners and 14 aces:eek: in het match against jenny. But luckily, she also hit 53 unforced errors. But yeah, Kim knew this wasn't be going easy, so go for it girl. Keep your first serves in and play to the lines! You can do it!!:bounce: :bounce:

Sarah
Nov 11th, 2002, 11:54 AM
Do the Belgian fans know anything about coverage?
Will Canvas go live?
I really REALLY hope they do... because I'll be there, 4 o'clock in the morning, in front of my tv screen...:bounce:
Guess I won't be able to cheer too load, my parents might wake and think I've completely lost my mind:rolleyes:

josefien
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Yes, Canvas is going live. They said they would start at 3.30 am, but I also thought the match only starts at 4.00.
Kim, please make this short nightrest worthwile!!

Sarah
Nov 11th, 2002, 12:50 PM
:) Kind of funny thought...
All those Belgian fans, in the middle of the night, watching Kimmy on tv.
Come on, Kim! Beat her and make this match very exciting and interesting because otherwise I just won't be able to keep my eyes open...
:eek:

( but I'll try to stay awake anyway)

arn
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Well done Kim!!!!

Josefien - The aces are also part of the winners, so to be correct Serena hit 28 'real' winners

Lleyki
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:07 PM
I'm going to bed very early but I'll be up at 3.30 am to cheer Kimmie to the victory :bounce:

C'mon Kim!!! You can do it!!! :bounce:

josefien
Nov 11th, 2002, 07:30 PM
You're right arn, I didn't think about it.

kit
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Good luck in the final against Serena!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
You can beat her Kimmie!!!:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

KaseyL
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:45 PM
thanks for all the articles! :kiss:

KaseyL
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Kim's interview after reaching the final:

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

November 10, 2002

KIM CLIJSTERS
Defeated Serena Williams, 5-0, Retired

Q. Kim, what were you told about why Venus retired? What did they tell you?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I don't know what was the problem, but I assume there was something where she had the tape. I think that's the problem, but that's not really my business. You know, I didn't even know before the match that she was a little bit injured. I saw her once we started playing the match. I saw she was not moving as well as she normally does.

Q. You looked a little surprised when she stopped?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I was. It's not like this is a small tournament, and you know, she must have a pretty serious injury. She's playing here at home and in front of a lot of people today, so yeah, I was surprised.

Q. What did you say to her?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I just said bad luck, I wish you all the best, and she said thanks.

Q. Kim, you looked kind of disappointed the match was over. You stayed afterwards hitting balls to the fans.

KIM CLIJSTERS: It's never nice beating a player who has to retire. I think for the tennis, I think the crowd was here to see two singles matches here. It's never nice, I think, for the players and for the crowd, but yes, it happens. You know, they play a lot of matches, and like every event they play, they almost get into the semis and finals. That's taking its toll.

Q. How do you stay focused?

KIM CLIJSTERS: It's tough. I was telling myself, just focus on the ball. Don't look at who's standing on the other side and if she's moving or not. I told myself to try to hit them to the lines and serve well and try not to make easy unforced errors.

Q. Are you going to have to go practice this afternoon?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I'll try. It's going to be too late to hit after the last doubles, but I'll try; otherwise, I might go to the hangar if there is still a court out there. There might be some players out there now. I'll see if it's not too late.

Q. You can go to a park or someplace.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, but I don't really want to hit outdoors.

Q. Obviously, it's a big success for you being in the finals here.

KIM CLIJSTERS: It's hard for me to realize I'm in the championships at the moment. I was really looking forward to going out there and enjoying the atmosphere. It's a little bit sad that I missed that out there. Even if I would have lost today, I still would have enjoyed it. It's not my choice.

Q. Last year you were almost in the finals but you lost. It's strange.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Maybe it's because of me. Every time someone plays me -- yeah, I think Lindsay, I think it happened it was 6-all in the first set. She hurt her knee then and then she pulled out. Like I said, it's, I think, mostly for the crowd, it's hard. They're really looking forward to seeing, like, some tennis.

Q. The way you played in the last two, three, weeks, you deserve to be in the finals.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Thank you. I feel comfortable out there. I feel like I'm playing a lot better than I was during the season. I think I have been showing that here in my first few matches.

Q. How confident were you today before you knew she was injured about winning the match?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I was confident. I know, on my own game, I knew I was playing well. The only thing I was missing a little bit was my serve. Out there today I felt like I was serving pretty well. It was a positive thing.

Q. You hit one serve that was pretty big, I think 112 or 111.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Strong shoulder.

Q. Have you hit many faster than that?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have no idea. I don't really look at the radar.

Q. Kim, just talk about playing either Jennifer or Serena.

KIM CLIJSTERS: I mean, of course, Serena is going to be the favorite. You never know. Jennifer has caused so many upsets in women's tennis already. It's going to be an interesting match. Jennifer ended really well against Maleeva, and she looks like she's playing better than what she was in the first few tournaments. That's definitely a positive thing for her. It gave her a lot of confidence. I think Serena really played well the first match she started here. Yesterday in the first set played against Maleeva, she made a lot of unforced errors. I don't know how she's feeling.

Q. But what about for you playing either Jennifer or Serena?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I did all that stuff for nothing?

Q. It was good pregame analysis.

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I've played Jennifer twice, once in Philadelphia and once at the French Open. I practiced with her a lot. I think we have sort of similar games. We both move well, hit the ball aggressive, so I would like to play her again, actually to try to get a revenge from the French Open. If I play Serena, I played Serena in Tokyo, I think two weeks after the US Open, and I lost in three sets, so against both players, I have to play my best tennis if I want to be capable of beating them. You're never going to get any easy matches anymore.

Q. So many players have come here tired or injured. You seem to be not injured and actually wanting to play and not tired.

KIM CLIJSTERS: For once this year, I'm not injured. I have had my shoulder injury for a while. Because of that, I think I had to pull out for a few tournaments, and maybe that's sort of helped me to sort of relax a little bit as well. I didn't do that well at the French and Wimbledon, and so I had a lot of time off there. I think that's what makes me feel like playing a little bit better at the end of the year. I'm the type of player that feels confident if I have a lot of matches. That's what I had the last few weeks.

Q. How exciting is it for you to reach the final of this tournament?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I was really excited. Like I said, I think it's still hard to realize that I'm there at the moment. I'm sure once I step on the court tomorrow that I'll really enjoy it.

Q. You're projected to finish 4th in the rankings now. What are you going to say to Justine about that at her wedding next week?

KIM CLIJSTERS: That's not really a goal. To end first in Belgium, it's always nice, but if you're 4 or 5, I don't think one spot is going to make the difference.

Q. Has it occurred to you that should you have to play Serena, you would be playing the same player you played in the final at Indian Wells after Venus made her 11th-hour withdrawal?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I forgot about it. You made me think about it now.

Q. I imagine it was very uncomfortable.

KIM CLIJSTERS: It was an experience, I have to say. It was something I didn't think I would ever have to go through in my career. Yeah, I don't know. It was, like I said, it was really an experience that I went through.

Q. You two are pretty friendly. Have you ever talked about that?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, not really.

Q. Kim, what do you attribute to the success of Belgium right now? What do you attribute to a small country producing such great players?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Almost every press conference I have to answer that question, and every time I answer the same. It's not that we both have the same coach, same tennis school, same Federation. I think we both were pretty lucky. She's a year older. When went through the juniors, we started going up through the rankings again. We both got our first Gland Slam final, me at the French and she at the Wimbledon. It's pretty amazing. I'm very happy for her after everything she's been through. Yeah, it's great, I think, for Belgium tennis, but I cannot give you one good reason how we got there.

Q. Kim, what would it mean to you to win the final? What would it mean?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, well, what would it mean? I don't know. It would be unbelievable. It's not really something I want to think about at the moment. I'll tell you if I win tomorrow, then I'll tell you what it feels like. It's hard for me just to answer that now.

Q. Kim, even though Venus' movement was compromised, is this the best you played this year?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Definitely this year. I feel like I'm definitely playing a lot better than in the middle of the season. Also, I played well at the Australian Open this year, and I lost in the semis to Jennifer where I didn't really play that great I thought, and so it's nice to end a year on a positive note. It's always nice to know when you relax, you can relax a little bit more and you can enjoy it a little bit more. That's what I'm really happy about, is that I know tomorrow night I won't have any other matches to play anywhere or worry about tournaments or traveling.

Q. You had a lot of success indoors. Is that your favorite surface?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I enjoy playing indoors. It's definitely one of my favorites. It doesn't matter if it's on clay or whatever. I enjoy playing indoors. It's definitely no wind, no sun, so that makes it a lot easier for my game.

Q. Kim, you've lost to Jennifer twice now. Is that because she's mentally stronger, has more experience, has a better physical edge?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I think experience is definitely an advantage for her. Yeah, I mean, after winning the Australian Open and the French Open the year before, I think she was so motivated and on a roll to try to keep it all up, so yeah, I give her all the credit for everything she's done in her career. I think it's incredible.

End of FastScripts….

KaseyL
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by josefien
Yes, Canvas is going live. They said they would start at 3.30 am, but I also thought the match only starts at 4.00.
Kim, please make this short nightrest worthwile!!

To all the Belgians:

Canvas and La Deux will show Kim live. They will start at 3.30 AM.

Canvas has also confirmed that they will show it again at 7 AM (for those who can't get out of their bed).

Nov 12th, 2002, 02:03 AM
1 hr. to go

pcabenojar
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:14 AM
Kim won!!! yehey!! 7-5, 6-3. I'm so happy! I wanted Kim to win and finally she did. :)

Nov 12th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by pcabenojar
For the Match Statistics, you can go to this site:
http://www.womenstennischampionships.com/pages/stats/Match41718.html

Congrats Kim! Have a nice vacation and hopefully no more injuries. Get your first grandslam next year!
The Australian Open would be nice

pcabenojar
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:32 AM
For the Match Statistics, you can go to this site:
http://www.womenstennischampionships.com/pages/stats/Match41718.html

Congrats Kim! Have a nice vacation and hopefully no more injuries. Get your first grandslam next year!

I was supposed to add something to my post, but I don;t know why I delete it hahaha

anyways, yup, the Australian Open would be nice! Kim made my day today!

angele87
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Congratulations Kim :D :kiss:

Pinkie
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:16 AM
The first of many, I am sure...

Clijsters stuns Serena Williams to win WTA Championships

November 12, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kim Clijsters couldn't believe what she'd just done.

Clijsters stunned top-seeded Serena Williams 7-5, 6-3 to win the season-ending WTA Championships on Monday night, handing Williams only her fifth loss of the year.

Williams' 18-match winning streak was snapped largely because of 44 unforced errors, especially on the backhand side. She finished with a 56-5 record and ended the year as the world's top-ranked player.

``Kim played really well. She earned the win,'' Williams said.

Clijsters, a 19-year-old Belgian who rose to No. 4 in the rankings, only managed six winners to 19 by Williams, but she converted five of 10 break chances in the nearly 1 1/2 -hour match at Staples Center in front of 10,232.

``It's been an incredible week for me,'' said Clijsters, who defeated No. 2 Venus Williams in the semifinals after Williams retired with an injured leg.

Clijsters became the first player to beat the Williams sisters in the same tournament since Martina Hingis in the 2001 Australian Open. She also tied the record for fewest games (14) lost en route to the title. She earned $765,000 from the $3 million purse.

After a tired Williams barely got a forehand back, Clijsters rushed the net and put away a forehand winner on match point. She dropped her racket and buried her face in her hands in disbelief. Clijsters then fired a ball into the crowd and gave a thumbs-up sign.

There were seven service breaks in the first set, when Williams led 5-3 before losing the final four games.

In the second, Clijsters served at 2-2. At deuce, she daringly tried a drop shot that landed on the line, then Williams returned Clijsters' serve long and Clijsters led 3-2. Williams dropped her serve at love to trail 4-2.

Clijsters survived a break point at 30-40 on her serve to force deuce. She hit a service winner, then Williams netted a backhand service return to trail 5-2. Williams held in the next game for 5-3 before Clijsters served out the match.

Williams earned $382,000 as runner-up, pushing her season earnings to a record $3,657,826. That bettered the $3,457,049 earned in 2000 by Hingis. A victory would have made Williams the first woman to earn more than $4 million in a year.

Pinkie
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Clijsters' victory puts dent in invincible Serena

LOS ANGELES -- Kim Clijsters not only stunned Serena Williams to capture the WTA Championships on Monday night, she also sent a message regarding the invincibility of the world's top player.

Kim Clijsters celebrates after beating Serena Williams to win her first WTA Championships.

Clijsters posted a surprising 7-5, 6-3 victory over the top-seeded American in 85 minutes in the final of the $3 million season-ending event at Staples Center.

In defeating Williams for the first time in six meetings, Clijsters handed the No. 1 player just her fifth loss of the season.

Fifth-seeded Clijsters captured her fourth title of the year and ninth of her career. By winning two of her previous three events, she arrived in Los Angeles as one of the hottest players on tour, second only to Williams, and did not drop a set en route to the title.

Clijsters' path was made easier Sunday, when Serena's older sister, second seed Venus Williams, retired in their semifinal with a leg injury after dropping the first five games of the opening set.

The 19-year-old Belgian had just six winners but won 47 percent of Serena Williams' first serves and took advantage of 44 unforced errors by her opponent. Clijsters, who earned $765,000, had seven double faults but won 59 percent of her first serves and 61 percent on her second serve. Her foe won just 46 percent of her second service points and was broken five times.

Williams had her winning streak stopped at 18 matches. Her last loss also came in Los Angeles -- a quarterfinal setback to Chanda Rubin at the JPMorgan Chase Open in August. Still, Williams, 21, finished the year ranked No. 1 for the first time in her career.

After missing the Australian Open due to an ankle injury, she won the French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open -- beating Venus in the final at each Grand Slam -- and five other events to lead the tour with eight titles.

Clijsters was broken in the first game of the match but broke back in the 10th game and came back from 0-40 to break Williams in the 12th game to win the set in 53 minutes. She gained the crucial break in the second set in the sixth game and saved a break point in her next service game.

Hawk
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:02 AM
I think it's so true that now all the top players have seen that Serena is beatable, and will start to think they can take her out too. Either Pam or MJ mentioned that too during the match. Kim may have just got the ball rolling! Maybe in 2003 players won't see Serena as impossible to beat.

tarah
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Congrats Kimmie!!!!!!!! :bounce:

pcabenojar
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:59 AM
here's another article, got this from the yahoo web site.

Clijsters upsets Serena Williams to win WTA Championships

November 12, 2002

LOS ANGELES (Ticker) - Kim Clijsters not only stunned Serena Williams to capture the WTA Championships on Monday night, she sent a message regarding the invincibility of the world's top player.

Clijsters posted a surprising 7-5, 6-3 victory over the top-seeded American in 85 minutes in the final of the $6 million season-ending event at Staples Center.

"You don't really realize how it feels," Clijsters said. "This is definitely my biggest win, and it feels incredible. At the time, I couldn't believe when she missed that match point. I couldn't believe I won. Maybe at that time I had goosebumps all over my body. It was amazing."

In defeating Williams for the first time in six meetings, Clijsters handed the No. 1 player just her fifth loss of the season.

"I think Venus and Serena have played so well these last few years and have been up there (in the rankings)," Clijsters said. "I think it's nice for the other players to see that they are beatable, and I think that will motivate some other players."

The fifth-seeded Clijsters captured her fourth title of the year and ninth of her career. By winning two of her previous three events, she arrived in Los Angeles as one of the hottest players on tour, second only to Williams, and dropped just 19 games en route to the title.

Clijsters' path was made easier Sunday, when Serena's older sister, second seed Venus Williams, retired in their semifinal with a leg injury after dropping the first five games of the opening set. She became the fourth woman to defeat both Williams sisters in the same tournament.

"I didn't really beat Venus," Clijsters said. "It feels amazing. I don't think I'm realizing at the moment what I've done."

The 19-year-old Belgian had just six winners but won 47 percent of Serena Williams' first serves and took advantage of 44 unforced errors by her opponent. Clijsters, who earned $765,000, had seven double faults but won 59 percent of her first serves and 61 percent on her second serve. Her foe won just 46 percent of her second service points and was broken five times.

"I was just going to try to bring as many balls back as I could," Clijsters said. "I tried to make her make the mistakes. That's what you have to try to do against her. I was very motivated. I lost to her five times already. It's great to have that win here right now."

Williams, who took the entire month of October off and played just 13 events this year, was asked if fatigue was an issue after her intense three-set semifinal victory over Jennifer Capriati.

"I don't know if it was because of a long match or now," she said. "Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. Kim played really well tonight. I don't want to take any credit away from Kim. She deserved the win and got the win. I wouldn't necessarily say that just because Jennifer pushed me. It's just that my body feels pretty old right now."

Williams had her winning streak stopped at 18 matches. Her last loss also came in Los Angeles - a quarterfinal setback to Chanda Rubin at the JPMorgan Chase Open in August. Still, the 21-year-old Williams finished the year ranked No. 1 for the first time in her career.

After missing the Australian Open due to an ankle injury, she won the French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open - beating Venus in the final at each Grand Slam - and five other events to lead the tour with eight titles.

"I wish I could have done a little better in this tournament, but, hey, I think I had a decent year," Williams said. "I won three Slams. I guess that's all right. My most important Slam was the Wimbledon and U.S. Open. I always wanted to win Wimbledon and load up the trophy (case), all the history behind it, and becoming No. 1, I didn't even know I was going to be No. 1. I thought about it. I'm the best in tennis in the world, at least on the women's side."

Williams, who failed to defend the title she won last year in Munich and was denied a chance to become the first woman to win $4 million in a season, plans to use this loss as motivation for next year.

"I like that I didn't win today because I'm so motivated right now to win the Australian Open," she said. "After I didn't play the Australian (this year), I got super-motivated. I told myself I was going to win the French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open. Sometimes for me, I need to take a step back and say, `Keep going ahead and ahead.'"

Clijsters was broken twice in the first set, including the first game of the match, but answered each time. In the 12th game, she rallied from 0-40 to break Williams and win the set in 53 minutes. Clijsters gained the crucial break in the second set in the sixth game and saved a break point in her next service game.

"When I lost my serve games, I said, `Try to win that first point because that can be a very big key in every game," Clijsters said. "If you get that first one, you can work yourself into the game if you have a few lucky shots. There was a few very long rallies and I got (the breaks) back.

"Those are the games and points that you have to try to take and the chance you have to take. I just kept fighting. I don't think I really realized at the time I was down."

This was the biggest win of Clijsters' career. She reached the final of the French Open last year and was two points away from winning but lost to Capriati in the third set, 10-9.

"It's still pretty amazing for me to realize all of this and what I have achieved," the Belgian teen said. "I'm only 19. It's incredible. I can never have imagined I would have been sitting here speaking after a win. I don't see myself - I know I play tennis and I play tennis because I enjoy it. I'm not there to be famous or anything."

In doubles, Russia's Elena Dementieva and Slovakia's Janette Husarova rallied for a 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory over Cara Black of Zimbabwe and Elena Likhovtseva of Russia. The third-seeded team split $290,000.

pcabenojar
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:35 AM
From the ESPN web site....

Clijsters' win gives hope to others
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Joel Drucker
Special to ESPN.com

LOS ANGELES -- Perhaps it's best to look at Kim Clijsters' 7-5, 6-3 victory against Serena Williams less as a season-ending triumph for 2002 and more as a hopeful signal for 2003.

Having come through a three-set tussle with Jennifer Capriati in the semis, all signs pointed to Williams consolidating her reign as the queen of women's tennis. After all, no matter what happened here this week, Williams was by far the best player in the world this year, her three Slam titles the most notable reason for her nearly 1,000-point lead over Venus in the WTA rankings. In baseball terms, Serena hit more than 60 home runs this year, Venus a scant 35.

But while those who rarely pay attention to tennis might think Serena and Venus are as dominant superpowers as the U.S. and U.S.S.R. were in the Cold War era, insiders know there are players with significant weapons to threaten the sisterly rule -- provided they're willing to play the ball and not their opponents' resumes.

"These sisters are motivating everyone to become a better player," said Billie Jean King, who was on hand tonight to present the winner's trophy that bears her name. "That's what the best do. They set the bar and you better rise up to it." And Clijsters certainly ranks in the top tier of contenders. Much like Jennifer Capriati, Clijsters is armed with clean-hitting groundstrokes, the agility you'd expect from the daughter of a former soccer star and, unlike Capriati, a fairly reliable service motion.

"Players like her and Lleyton Hewitt, they've got the jock genes, they know the process, they're dedicated to competing and grubbing," said CBS analyst Mary Carillo.

What Clijsters has lacked is the capacity to continually showcase her "A" game at the later stages of big tournaments. Since Clijsters is still in her teens, it's not quite clear if she's still shedding emotional baby fat. Her 2002 wasn't helped by an upper right arm injury that kept her from playing top tennis for the majority of the year.

Monday evening she played with maturity and tenacity, most notably when Williams served for the first set at 5-4. Ripping backhands, dashing into corners to track down forehands, Clijsters broke back, held and then at 5-6, 30-30 tracked down a Williams overhead to crack a forehand down-the-line winner. A weary Williams netted a forehand at set point.

Williams' fatigue became apparent in the second set. Williams was using her arms more than her feet, occasionally even tamely underspinning forehands and misfiring on both flanks. Clijsters smelled blood, and in short order earned the win of her career and $765,000.

"It's nice for the other players to see that [the Williams sisters] are beatable and I think that will motivate some other players," Clijsters said. "It's still pretty amazing for me to realize all of this and what I have achieved. ... if I'm injury-free and stuff, I think I'm capable of staying in the top five."

And perhaps, just as the Williams' have found themselves motivated and supported by one another, Clijsters draws on strength from her boyfriend, men's No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt. Speaking of Hewitt's wins at the U.S. Open and Wimbledon, Clijsters noted that, "That's what really sort of made me realize how much it means and how much it means for a tennis player to win those big events."

Though Serena would deny that Sunday's arduous three-setter against Capriati had drained her, she also conceded that "I feel like I'm 98 years old. Everything right now is just broke, and I'm ready to go home."

It's an odd thing about this Williams family rule: A year ago when Serena and Venus reached the U.S. Open finals, the pairing was exotic. After all, it had been more than 100 years since two sisters had met in a Slam final (what, you don't recall the Watson sisters?). But now, with the two having played at Roland Garros, Wimbledon and New York again, Clijsters, if not exactly busting the door down, has at least jammed a foot into it.

And what of Serena? A year ago, after winning this event in Munich, she vowed to make a go at the top. Mission accomplished. As all jocks know, staying at the top is a trickier matter. There is a compelling complexity to Serena, a visceral quality that draws her to the limelight far more than her more pensive older sister. Word flies around the tour continually of Serena's pursuit of acting roles and life off the court. But she's also aware that it's her racket that does the most talking for her. "I like that I didn't win today," Williams said, "because I'm so motivated right now to win the Australian Open."

When last we checked, though, it was Clijsters who was making plans for a trip to Australia. Williams was heading to nearby Hollywood for a few auditions. Then again, encouraged as Clijsters and her colleagues might be by her effort this week, all know it's going to take a lot of Oscar-winning performances to displace Serena Williams from the WTA Tour's marquee.

Joel Drucker, technical editor of Tennis for Dummies, is covering the WTA Championships for ESPN.com. E-mail him at JDruck@aol.com.

KaseyL
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:31 AM
thanks for all the articles!

Clijsters joins exclusive club by beating Serena Williams

November 12, 2002

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Kim Clijsters did something only four other players have this year: beat Serena Williams.

Clijsters defeated Williams 7-5, 6-3 on Monday night at the season-ending WTA Championships -- the biggest event other than the Grand Slam tournaments. She also ended Williams' 18-match winning streak and her own five-match losing streak to the American.

“It feels amazing. I don't think I'm realizing at the moment what I've done,'' she said. “I couldn't believe when she missed that match point. I had goosebumps all over my body.''

Clijsters, a 19-year-old Belgian who is projected to finish fourth in the final WTA Tour rankings, only managed six winners to 19 by Williams, but she converted five of 10 break chances in the nearly 1 1/2 -hour match at Staples Center in front of 10,232.

“It's been an incredible week for me,'' said Clijsters, who defeated No. 2 Venus Williams in the semifinals when she retired with an injured leg.
Clijsters became the first player since Martina Hingis in the 2001 Australian Open to beat the Williams sisters in the same tournament and only the fourth ever.

“I know that if I keep my consistency up throughout the whole match, I'm capable of getting close to winning matches against them,'' Clijsters said. “It all comes down to a few points.''

Williams committed 44 unforced errors, mostly on her backhand. She finished with a 56-5 record, won French, Wimbledon and U.S. Open titles and ended the year as the world's top-ranked player.
“Kim played really well. She earned the win,'' Williams said. “I like that I didn't win because I'm so motivated to win the Australian Open and all the tournaments after that.''

Clijsters didn't drop a set in four matches, tied the record for fewest games lost (14) en route to the title and earned $765,000 from the $3 million purse.

“She's always had a lot of talent,'' Williams said. “She has a very good future. We'll see what next year will bring.''

After a tired Williams barely got a forehand back, Clijsters rushed the net and put away a forehand winner on match point. She dropped her racket and buried her face in her hands in disbelief. Clijsters then fired a ball into the crowd and gave a thumbs-up sign.

There were seven service breaks in the first set, when Williams led 5-3 before losing the final four games.

In the second, Clijsters served at 2-2. At deuce, she daringly tried a drop shot that landed on the line, then Williams returned Clijsters' serve long and Clijsters led 3-2. Williams dropped her serve at love to trail 4-2.

Clijsters survived a break point at 30-40 on her serve to force deuce. She hit a service winner, then Williams netted a backhand service return to trail 5-2. Williams held in the next game for 5-3 before Clijsters served out the match.

“I tried to make her make the mistakes,'' Clijsters said. “She wasn't moving as well as she normally does.''

Clijsters joined Americans Chanda Rubin and Mehgann Shaughnessy, Patty Schnyder of Switzerland and Belgian Justine Henin as the only players to beat Williams this year.

Serena Williams won the tournament a year ago in Germany when Lindsay Davenport defaulted because of injury. Williams was coming off a tough three-set semifinal win over No. 3 Jennifer Capriati on Sunday.

“I was happy to make it this far. This whole week, I don't think I played very well at all,'' Williams said. “I feel like I'm 98 years old. Everything is broke and I'm ready to go home. An old lady in a young woman's body.''

spiritfullfrog
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Does anyone know what she said at the ceremony thing where she recieves her trophy and prize?

My cable got stuffed so i didn't get to watch her play...:sad: :( :mad:

tumbleweed
Nov 12th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by spiritfullfrog
Does anyone know what she said at the ceremony thing where she recieves her trophy and prize?

My cable got stuffed so i didn't get to watch her play...:sad: :( :mad:

She thanked the sponsors, she congratulated Serena, she thanked the ballboys for picking the balls (acknowleging Serena's fast serves) she thanked the Belgian fans and spoke to them in Flemish, then told the crowd, "you don't have to clap if you don't understand it", she was so sweet, and she really looked very happy, it's contagious!

CONGRATS to Kimmy for a well deserved win, she fought like a lioness, i love her spirit!!!! :):):)

:bounce:

Pinkie
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:54 PM
From an updated AP Story:

This week, Clijsters' boyfriend, men's No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, will try to
duplicate her feat in the season-ending Masters Tennis Cup in China. Because of
the time difference, Clijsters wasn't able to call him and share her big news.

:confused: Why not? Wasn't it some time in the afternoon in China?

Pinkie
Nov 12th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Count the number of times the LA Times journalist used the word classy... Think she's been hanging out in the lounge?

Los Angeles Times

Relatively Big Victory for Clijsters;
Belgian completes rare sweep of Williams sisters, upsettingtop-ranked Serena,
7-5, 6-3, to win title in WTA Championships atStaples Center.

Too old. Too slow. Too scared.

Kim Clijsters was none of those things, of course, but it takes an extra
something special to challenge, let alone beat the Williams sisters in a
tournament. Maybe the final push had something to do with a little bit of acting
against the aspiring actress, Serena Williams.

When Clijsters fell behind by a service break against Williams in the first
set on Monday night, her face remained impassive, and just as importantly, there
was no slumping of her shoulders.

"I said, 'Don't worry if she hits a few aces,' " Clijsters said. "You just
don't show any emotions. That's where they can read how you're feeling and
that's how they can push a little bit extra. That's what I did and it worked."

This resulted in the biggest victory of the 19-year-old Clijsters' career.
The fifth-seeded Belgian won her first major title, defeating the No. 1-ranked
and defending champion Serena Williams, 7-5, 6-3, in the final of the $3-million
Home Depot WTA Championships at Staples Center before an announced 10,232.

Total announced attendance was 56,862 for the event, which struggled in its
first year at this venue. Organizers are contemplating changes, perhaps a
round-robin format, and the elimination of some day sessions.

The defeat, in 1 hour 25 minutes, stopped Williams' 18-match winning streak,
as well as her effort to become the first female tennis player to earn $4
million in one season. The reigning French Open, Wimbledon and U.S. Open
champion has lost five times in 2002, and once since the European clay-court
season in May.

When Clijsters hit her final forehand winner to take the title, and $765,000
in prize money, she dropped her racket and covered her face. Then she uncorked
an impressive throw, tossing a tennis ball into one of the upper decks.
Clijsters also made sure to acknowledge a small group of Belgian supporters,
speaking to them in Flemish.

The crowd applauded and she showed some humor, saying: "You don't have to
clap. I know you don't understand."

It was the first time Clijsters has defeated Williams in six matches, though
three of them have gone three sets. She beat Venus Williams in the semifinals
here, advancing when Venus retired from the match because of a strained left
calf after the first five games.

Clijsters practically had two walkovers, though not in the true sense, in
back-to-back matches, because her countrywoman Justine Henin hardly put forth an
effort in their quarterfinal match. She didn't lose a set in four matches and
dropped only 14 games, which tied the record for fewest games lost on the way to
the title.

Clijsters is the fourth player to defeat the sisters in the same event,
joining Arantxa Sanchez Vicario (Sydney, 1998), Steffi Graf (Sydney, 1999) and
Martina Hingis (Australian Open, 2001). She had a little help from Jennifer
Capriati, who pushed Serena to the limit in their three-set semifinal on Sunday.

Though Williams started well, taking a 5-3 first-set lead, she slowly but
surely wound down. The batteries were running low, and Williams flickered in and
out, as her technique and footwork started to break down. Clijsters broke her
serve five times in what was an often erratic final.

"I didn't think I was going to lose tonight, but I guess I did," said Serena,
who had 44 unforced errors in her first loss since falling in the quarterfinals
at Manhattan Beach to Chanda Rubin in August.

"I did kind of feel my time winding down in my legs and my arm and my back. I
felt time running out, but other than that, I never give up until I shake hands
and I realize it's over.... To be honest, right now I feel like I'm 98 years
old. Everything right now is just broke and I'm ready to go home. I'm an old
lady in a young woman's body."

Williams is all of 21. But Clijsters won the final four games of the first
set and, sensing Williams was tiring quickly, kept the pressure on, chasing down
shots, and even doing her trademark acrobatic splits to try to keep the points
alive.

"She wasn't moving as well as in the beginning of the [second] set,"
Clijsters said. "I was getting a bit tired as well, so it was good she was
getting a little bit tired."

Clijsters is charmingly honest. Someone asked her what she would have thought
if someone told her she would win in straight sets.

"I wouldn't have believed it," Clijsters said.

Perhaps that's because she has come so close before against Serena. As a
giddy 16-year-old, she had a 5-3 lead against Williams in the third set at the
1999 U.S. Open, running to her chair on changeovers, before losing, 7-5.

Then there was the controversial 2001 Indian Wells final, in which the crowd
booed Williams during the entire match. Clijsters lost after winning the first
set and leading in the second but handled the matter with class, earning the
respect of the sisters.

Clijsters, who won three of her last four tournaments this year, was just as
classy in victory. She hugged Williams and reveled in her breakthrough moment,
showing she will be a serious threat to win a Grand Slam title next year. Her
boyfriend, men's No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, told her to enjoy the moment when they
spoke on the phone before the final.

"I couldn't believe she missed match point," Clijsters said. "I couldn't
believe I won.

"Maybe at that time I had goose bumps all over my body. It was amazing. I
hope a lot of players can have that when they win a big event. It's really
something amazing."

Stefke
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiim!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ans
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:28 PM
It was soooooo difficult to get up at 3h25 and my family told me I was mad to do this but it was sooooo worth it!! I just knew she would be able to beat serena and that's why I decided to get up...congrats to kim...I'm going to sleep early tonight because tomorrow we're heading to Charleroi to see Kim and justine in what will hopefully be an exciting match. :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Nov 12th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Can someone tell me if the Championships are considered a Tier I event? Or does it have it's own special catergory?

Bigkimfan
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:39 PM
No, the Masters is more than a tier 1 but less than a grandslam...

kit
Nov 12th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the interview Ingrid!!And for all the articles.

duck
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:56 PM
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA

November 11, 2002

KIM CLIJSTERS
Defeated Serena Williams, 7-5, 6-3

Q. You looked determined. What was your determination and your motivation for today's match?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I was just going to try to bring as many balls back as I could. I tried to make her make the mistakes. That's what you have to try to do against her. I was very motivated. I lost to her, I think, six times or five times already. You know, it's great to have that win here right now.

Q. How much was the winning check a motivation?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't think I realized how much money it is.

Q. Is this the biggest win of your career for you?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yes. Like before, they asked me what my biggest memory was and it was the French Open final. Now, this is definitely the number one spot.

Q. Kim, did you go in with a specific strategy to play Serena or were you going to play whoever it was the same way?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I was going to play my best game, trying to do that. Like I said before, just don't worry if she hits a few aces. Don't show any emotions. That's where they can read how you're feeling, and that's when they can push you a little bit extra. That's what I did and it worked, I think. Like I said before, I just tried to run as many balls back as I could. She made some few easy mistakes.

Q. Kim, could you tell she was a little tired, especially in the second set?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah. She wasn't moving as well as in the beginning of the set. I was getting a bit tired as well, so it was good she was getting a bit tired.

Q. Were you tired in the first set?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I started with a double fault. I don't know if that was because of nerves or anything. I wasn't nervous. I was a little bit more nervous before than all the other matches before the match. I felt pretty calm out there.

Q. You fell behind by a break three times in the first set. How were you able to mentally try to -- I think a lot of girls when they get in that position, especially against them, get down.

KIM CLIJSTERS: I told myself, on my own serve games, I said, well, when I lost my serve games, I said, try to win that first point, because that can be a very big key in every game. If you get that first one, you can work yourself into the game if you have a few lucky shots. There was a few very long rallies, and with a smash, I got it back. Those are the games and points that you have to try to take and the chances you have to take. Yeah, I mean, I just kept fighting. I don't think I really realized at the time I was down. I was so focused on the game that I didn't really notice if I was down or up.

Q. Serena said she was kind of glad almost to end the year on a loss. It gets her motivated for next year. Is that a good thing?

KIM CLIJSTERS: You have to ask her. I'm sure she's going to be very motivated to go into the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year. She hasn't won that one yet. She's going to be extra motivated to go out there and play well.

Q. If somebody told you today that you were going to win this thing in straight sets, what would you have said to them?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I wouldn't have believed it.

Q. Are you that surprised?

Q. How much does it make you think you are ready to win the Grand Slams?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I'm not even thinking about that at the moment. I'm just enjoying this moment. I don't really want to think about what's going to happen next in the future. I want to enjoy this moment. This is my last match of the year. It was a pretty nice one to end with. I'm just going to enjoy the few weeks I have off now and start working hard for the Australian Open. It's a whole new year.

Q. Kim, have you talked to Lleyton yet?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No. There's a big time difference.

Q. Did you talk before the match?

KIM CLIJSTERS: He was sleeping.

Q. Did he give you any kind of advice?

KIM CLIJSTERS: He just said to go and enjoy it, enjoy the atmosphere.

Q. You won three of the last four tournaments you played. Did you expect this by the end of the season?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, definitely not. Especially the way I was playing in the middle of the year. Even when I had my injury and I was feeling down at that time and changing coaches and not having a coach for a few weeks, that was tough, but I still kept being very professional and kept doing everything I should. I think that's what made me also more mature, now when I have a coach and everything is going well. I think the injury really helped me out for these type of tournaments.

Q. Kim, it seemed this summer at times you didn't really believe you could beat Venus or Serena unless they played a little worse. This week it seemed like there was a change in you. How did that come about and why?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I've got no idea. I know that if I play my best tennis and if I keep my consistency up throughout the whole match, I know I'm capable of getting close to winning matches against them. It all comes down to a few points then. I know if I played my best tennis, I can do it. It's just being consistent enough and a few points here and there.

Q. Tonight proves that you can do it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. Tonight it did. Today it did. You never know. The next match I play against them, I might lose one and one. That's what makes tennis so interesting at the moment. There is so many people that can -- I think Venus and Serena have played so well these last few years and have been up there. I think it's nice for the other players to see that they are beatable and I think that will motive also some other players.

Q. The first set you got even 5. Do you remember that serve? She had 109-mile-an-hour serve and you got it back. Do you have any idea how you did it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I did it with my racket. I just put my racket there, and luckily the ball hit the racket and it went over the net. I think she missed.

Q. She aimed it right into the net.

KIM CLIJSTERS: That's what I mean. You just have to try to make that extra ball, and when they don't expect it to come back, that can make them not in the right position or not focused, and they make a mistake. I think that was one of my goals. On not only this match, that's what I try to do every match.

Q. Players have been talking all week about being tired. Are you tired?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No. I think I can have a big party tonight.

Q. How will you go about celebrating in the next few days? Will you go on a shopping spree with all that money?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I'm building a house at the moment. It's nice. I can use it. I'm going to go home and go to an exhibition and play an exhibition against Justine, and then go to Australia, so I won't have a lot of time to do a lot of shopping. I might do a little bit of shopping here tomorrow before my flight.

Q. Rodeo? Where is your house?

KIM CLIJSTERS: In Belgium, in Brie, where I'm from.

Q. How much do you think your legs had to do with winning today?

KIM CLIJSTERS: If I would had no legs, I wouldn't have won. I think it played a big role. Of course, you know, I think I'm very lucky to have my type of legs, especially to play a sport. Maybe not for modeling or something, but to play tennis and to run a lot of balls down, I think my legs are pretty good.

Q. You did some incredible sliding not on clay. How did you do that?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have no idea. I remember the first time I did it, and I did it at the US Open, actually when I played Serena as well, and they showed it on the replay that night on TV. I don't really think about it when I'm doing it. It's just natural. I've got no idea.

Q. Does it hurt when you do that?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Once it did. In Stanford last year, because it was so hot, and I kept sliding when I was playing Lindsay and I burnt my toe. Sometimes it hurts.

Q. Is that something you practice?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No. Well, like, occasionally if I go and get a far ball in practice or something, but it's not something I work on.

Q. Kim, is winning this tournament kind of a coming-of-age statement that you are a world class player to be reckoned with, the elite?

KIM CLIJSTERS: It's hard. Of course, I'm going to be up there, and it's a big tournament. I'll definitely have my status. It's still pretty amazing for me to realize all of this and what I have achieved. I'm only 19. It's incredible. I can never imagined I would have been sitting here speaking to all of you after a win. That's something I would have never have thought. It's, of course, great. I don't see myself -- I know I play tennis, and I play tennis because I enjoy it. I'm not there to be famous or anything. I'm just there to enjoy the tennis.

Q. Did you like the tournament format as opposed to the regular format?

Q. Kim, outside of being famous, though, do you feel like you belong with Serena and Venus and Jennifer now?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. I mean, I know I can -- if I play well, I think I belong there, but there is a lot of other players who belong there as well. You have Lindsay and Monica who played really well, I thought, against Venus. You have players like Elena and Dementieva can always beat, but maybe not as consistent as what those top four players have done. I think if I have a consistent year, and if I'm injury-free and stuff, I think I'm capable of staying in the top five.

Q. As big of a win as this is for you, have you had a chance to feel how it's sunk in and what your expectations were for such a big win, how it feels inside?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I had a few experiences, maybe not with my own game, but when Lleyton won the Wimbledon and US Open, that was amazing. I felt like I won them as well. That's what really sort of maybe made me realize how much it means and how much it means for a tennis player to win those big events. I was really -- even like this week, I was doing everything very professional and 100 percent, so that's what paid off.

Q. How much do you think your attitude had to do with it? I mean, Serena even bought into the tired thing tonight when she came in. She said she felt like she was 98. All week long you've insisted, I feel fresh, not tired. How much do you think just the mental attitude maybe had to do with it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I think if you keep telling yourself, I feel tired, I feel tired, of course, you're going to feel tired. That's with every person. I was resting a lot during my days off. Of course, I didn't play -- I think I only -- before coming into this match, I only played about two hours and 20 minutes. I think with Venus pulling out, I had an advantage over Serena, because she played a pretty tough match against Jennifer yesterday.

Q. How do you feel about beating both Williamses back to back?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I didn't really beat Venus. It feels amazing. I don't think I'm realizing at the moment what I've done. I'm sure once I get back home to Belgium, I'll play my exhibition in front of those 10,000 people, and I'm sure I'll start realizing what they have gone through and what I've done.

Q. Kim, how proud is your father?

KIM CLIJSTERS: He was very proud. He said, yeah, I knew you could do it, well done. That's what I think every dad would say.

Q. Had he given you any advice before tonight's match?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Of course, he always supports me and helps me out. He doesn't really say tactics. He always says little things like, go out there and fight and have fun. Those are the main things he says. That's what I definitely did today.

Q. Where is this exhibition in Belgium? Would you tell us a little bit about it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: We played one last year in Antwerp. It was a bigger stadium, 20,000 people. This year I'm flying tomorrow, and Wednesday night, Belgium time, 6:00 I have to play the exhibition after getting in at noon. I don't know if my level is going to be as high as what I achieved here. It's going to be in the south part of Belgium where Justine is from. There is one from the north, where I'm from, and then one in the south. We play a match against each other. There is, like, a Belgium group and like music bands performing. It's really nice.

Q. It's just to give the Belgium people a chance to see you?

KIM CLIJSTERS: To see us, yes.

Q. Often winners come in and they don't appear that they really are having fun, but it appears that you are. Are you having as much fun as it appears?

Q. Is it as fun to win as you thought it would be at this level?

KIM CLIJSTERS: You don't really realize how it feels. This is definitely my biggest win, and it feels incredible. At the time, I couldn't believe when she missed that match point. I couldn't believe I won. Maybe at that time I had goose bumps all over my body. I couldn't believe it. It was amazing. It's an amazing feeling. I hope a lot of players can have that when they win a big event. It's really something amazing.

Q. Kim, how many tennis courts is your new home going to have?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I have no courts at my house. I have dogs.

Q. You just don't want courts?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No courts.

Q. You can still go to your father's house and play?

End of FastScripts….

-Fienesse-
Nov 12th, 2002, 06:56 PM
In 5 minutes there will be a reportage about Kim in Ter Zake(Canvas, 20.00 uur)

Bigkimfan
Nov 12th, 2002, 07:40 PM
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw your post too late!!!!!!!!:sad:

Where was it about??? Please tell me the details!!!!

Come-on-kim
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Great interview!!!

Elke
Nov 12th, 2002, 08:13 PM
Bigkimfan, Terzake wordt herhaald na de voetbal.

Hawk
Nov 12th, 2002, 10:45 PM
Just a little side-note I thought I would mention...during the match Pam mentioned that Kim had a new best friend this week at the tournament (MJ's daughter, Isabella) :). MJ laughted and said that Kim loves babies :D, and that her daughter doesn't usually go to other people, but that Isabella loves Kim! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: I just thought that was so cute. :D

pcabenojar
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Another article.....

Kim Clijsters comes of age

By Matthew Cronin

FROM THE HOME DEPOT CHAMPIONSHIPS – It was only three months ago that Kim Clijsters was saying that the only way she could beat a Williams was on one of their off days.

The 19-year-old Belgian who showed up at the $3 million Home Depot Championships on Monday was an entirely different person: a confident, aggressive, smart more self aware player who knew that her best could match Serena's best and if Serena was a little slow, it would be she who would take home the winner's check.

"I know that if I play my best and I keep my consistency up throughout the whole match, I knew I was close to getting close against them," Clijsters said. "It all comes down to a few points. I knew if I played my best, I can do it."

That's why Clijsters knocked out four-time Grand Slam champion Williams 7-5, 6-3.
The super-modest Clijsters now knows that her best belongs with the elite.

"If I play well, I think I belong there," said the 19-year-old Clijsters. "But there are a lot of other players who belong there as well. ... If I have a consistent year and I'm injury free, I think I'm capable of staying in the top five."

She's more than capable of staying in the top five; she's capable of pushing Serena for the top spot sometime in the next year should she keep progressing at the same rate. Serena ended the year ranked No. 1 while Clijsters is projected to finish at No. 4, behind No. 2 Venus Williams, No. 3 Jennifer Capriati and ahead of countrywoman Justine Henin, who is ranked fifth.

KIM CAN SURPASS JENNIFER
Right now, you have to like Clijsters' prospects a little better than Capriati's in 2003 and maybe more than Venus', because her serve is much more a weapon than Jennifer's, she's just as fast and is playing smarter. While Venus is a more powerful and accomplished player, Kim seems to have more motivation at this point.

"Venus and Serena have played so well these last few years and have been up there," Clijsters said. "It's nice for other players to see that they are beatable and I think that will motivate some other players."

Like her boyfriend, Lleyton Hewitt, Clijsters is the ultimate gym rat so given good health, expect her to avoid the nightlife, glitter and glamour and spend most of her time fine tuning her game.

"She's always done really well, had a lot of talent," said the tired Serena, who will spend the next few weeks auditioning for movies. "We've had some pretty good matches. She obviously has a very good future. We'll see what next year will bring. I think she'll do really well."

Clijsters won three out of her last four tournaments and stopped Serena's 18-match winning streak. One reason why is because Serena didn't train hard for the event, which is maybe why she was sucking wind in the second set. "I'm not going to kid myself and say I worked super hard, but imagine if I did," Serena said.

PRESSURE FORCES WILLIAMS' ERRORS
Clijsters was 0-5 against Williams going into the match, but showed little fear of her opponent. She went down a break in the first set and, just when you expected to Serena to serve out the set at 5-4, Williams cracked. Kim broke her to 5-5 when she forced her into a backhand error.

With Williams serving at 5-6 and deuce, Clijsters chased down a hard overhead smash and forced Williams into an error. On set point, Williams dumped a forehand into the net. At that point, Kim knew she could out-leg Serena.

"I was just going to try to bring as many balls back as I could," Clijsters said. "I tried to make her make the mistakes. I didn't worry about if she hit a few aces. Don't show any emotions. That's when they can read how you're feeling and that's when they push you a little extra. That's what I did and it worked."

Clijsters broke Williams at love to go ahead 4-2 in the second set and in the match's final game with Clijsters serving, the Belgian smoked a service winner and then won the contest with a forehand down the line.

Clijsters then parked a ball into the crowd and beamed in delight.

"This is my biggest win, "Clijsters said. "It's still pretty amazing to me to realize all I have achieved. I'm only 19. It's incredible."

pcabenojar
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Got this post from Lleytonland....

Hewitt praises girlfriend Clijsters
2002-11-12 11:24 (New York)

SHANGHAI, Nov 12 (AFP) - Lleyton Hewitt took time out from his campaign at the season-ending Masters Cup here Tuesday to publicly congratulate his Belgian girlfriend, Kim Clijsters, for her stunning victory in the WTA Tour Championships -- and stake a claim for half her pay prize money.

Clijsters, 19, scored back-to-back victories over the dominant Williams sisters in Los Angeles to win the women's season finale and the accompanying 765,000-dollar pay cheque.

"It's obviously the biggest moment in her tennis career so far," Hewitt, the men's world number one, told reporters after beating Albert Costa in the first stage of the Masters Cup round robin format.

"It's an incredible achievement.. she's got a good chance to go even higher in the rankings, I believe."

Asked if Clijsters' win meant extra cash for him, Hewitt stuck his tongue firmly in his cheek and said: "Yeah, it would be. I guess I get 50 percent of that."

However when asked during a press conference on Monday if he had plans to marry Clijsters, the 21-year-old firmly shook his head in the negative. "No, mate. Not any time soon," he said.

Hewitt could win 1.52 million dollars if he wins the Masters Cup, which began Tuesday.

budgirlbz
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Just a little side-note I thought I would mention...during the match Pam mentioned that Kim had a new best friend this week at the tournament (MJ's daughter, Isabella) :). MJ laughted and said that Kim loves babies :D, and that her daughter doesn't usually go to other people, but that Isabella loves Kim! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: I just thought that was so cute. :D

who's MJ? jordan?

pcabenojar
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Another article, seems that they can't stop writing about Kim's win! It's more or less the same with the other articles, but I can't help but post it. Read the 1st paragraph..I love the "squealing sneakers skidding " :)

Year-End Champ: Clijsters Conquers Serena To Win Los Angeles Title

By Brad Falkner
tennisweek
11/12/2002

The sharp shriek of squealing sneakers skidding across the Staples Center court echoed throughout the arena. Kim Clijsters' consecutive sliding splits sounded strenuous, looked positively painful and elicited a collective groan from a sympathetic court-side crowd.

It was the sixth game of the match and Clijsters was hurling her body around the court as if her career depended on the outcome of every point.

The fifth-seeded Clijsters went into an early slide but responded by summoning up some of her strongest play of the season in rising to conquer defending-champion Serena Williams, 7-5, 6-3 and claim the WTA season-ending Home Depot Championship in Los Angeles.

"It's unbelievable," said Clijsters, who collected the champion's check of $765,000. "I don't think I've really realized it's happened yet. It's incredible."

It was Clijsters' first win over Williams in six career meetings and snapped Williams' winning streak of 18 matches.

While she may not possess the power of the Williams sisters, third-ranked Jennifer Capriati or 2001 season-ending No. 1 Lindsay Davenport, Clijsters compensates by competing as capably as the sport's stars.

The 19-year-old Belgian battled back brilliantly from a 3-5 first-set deficit when Williams appeared on the brink of seizing the set.

The two-time U.S. Open champion netted consecutive returns as Clijsters held for 4-5. Serving for the set, Williams made three straight forehand errors to fall behind 0-40, but she saved triple-break point and brought the game to deuce. When Williams swatted a backhand wide, Clijsters had her fourth break point of the game and broke for five-all as Williams netted a short forehand.

The forceful forehand that was a key factor in Williams' 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 semifinal victory over Jennifer Capriati yesterday, frequently found the net tonight. Seeing the stroke was unreliable, Clijsters consistently attacked the Williams forehand with her own topspin forehand that often landed near the baseline. In contrast, Williams was late on her flatter forehand and left little room for net clearance.

In the 11th game, Williams netted consecutive forehands before netting another forehand off a Clijsters drop shot to quickly fall behind 0-40 and the Belgian held for a 6-5 lead when Williams swatted a backhand wide.

The effects of her draining duel with Capriati combined with Clijsters' extreme effort exacted a toll on the defending champion in the 12th game as she blew a 40-0 lead. Saving one set point with a service winner, Williams was trying to force a tiebreaker when she smashed an overhead crosscourt. But a sprinting Clijsters closed quickly on the ball and replied with a running forehand that caught the corner and caught Williams by surprise as her backhand sailed wide to give Clijsters her second set point.

On the second stroke, Williams sent a backhand into the net to give Clijsters the set, 7-5.

"I just tried to get as many balls back as I could," Clijsters said. "I tried to get to make mistakes, but stay aggressive at the same time and take my chances when I had them."

The 2001 French Open finalist converted five of her 10 break-point chances compared to Williams, who broke three times in 10 opportunities. Clijsters played a cleaner match, committing 27 unforced errors compared to 44 for Williams.

In the sixth game of the second set, a lethargic-looking Williams committed four consecutive unforced errors to surrender serve at love. Clijsters consolidated the break for a 5-2 lead. Two games later, she sent forehand winner down the line to clinch the biggest championship of her career.

Dropping her racquet to the court in disbelief, Clijsters threw a ball into the crowd then broke into the wide smile of a champion.

pcabenojar
Nov 13th, 2002, 03:57 AM
The following are excerpts from Bob Larson's Tennis International Newsletter, published weekly by TennisONE. For more Larson tennis news products, go to: www.tennisnews.com

Los Angeles Championships: Worth Staying Up For

Women's Match of the Day
Los Angeles - Final
Kim Clijsters (5) def. Serena Williams (1) 7-5 6-3

Watching her semifinal against Jennifer Capriati, we thought Serena Williams was suffering from pains in her arms. Against Kim Clijsters, it seemed even more clear.

And Clijsters brought at least two things to the table that Capriati didn't: Great indoor results (she came into this final with two indoor titles this year and a seven match winning streak) and a game plan: Get to balls, get them back, go for a lot but not so much as to make errors. It worked. Clijsters had hardly any winners -- but with Serena hitting about three or four errors per game, she didn't need to. It was just wait -- and then celebrate.

Clijsters has done a good job of that this year; she has four titles in 2002 (trailing Venus and Serena; tied with Anna Smashnova for #3 on the Tour). This is the second tournament where Clijsters was helped by a retirement (Clijsters hardly had to play in the semifinal against Venus Williams); she had two opponents retire at Hamburg!

This is, of course, the biggest win of Clijsters's career; it's also the fifth-most points recorded by any player this year, and the most by a non-Slam winner. It continues a steady progress for the Belgian: in 1999, she won one title (Luxembourg). In 2000, it was two (Hobart, Leipzig). She won three in 2001 (Stanford, Leipzig, Luxembourg). This year, it's four: Hamburg, Filderstadt, Luxembourg, and the Championships. And with titles on every surface but grass, she's clearly shown herself an all-court player. By reaching the final, she made herself the year-end #4. By winning, she is a strong #4; she's likely to get back to her career high of #3 at the Australian Open.

For Serena, the loss ended her winning streak at 18 -- and leaves her still without an indoor title above the Tier II level. Still, there were only seven 10-match winning streaks recorded on the Tour this year -- and Serena had three of them! (21 straight at Rome, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, and Los Angeles; this 18-match string at the U. S. Open, Princess Cup, Leipzig, and Los Angeles; and a 12-match string at Scottsdale, Miami, and Charleston; the other streaks: Venus had a 19-match streak at Stanford, San Diego, New Haven, and the U. S. Open; Martina Hingis won 10 at Sydney and the Australian Open; Iva Majoli won 10 at Charleston and Bol; and Anna Smashnova had 10 at the Tier V events at Auckland and Canberra). This also means, amazingly enough, that Serena did not defend a single title this year; there were only six defences this year (two by Venus and one each by Hingis, Capriati, Clijsters, and Farina Elia). Clijsters couldn't quite make it to ten straight, but she does end the year with eight straight wins -- and she's also on a four-match doubles streak.

Under our own "majors" ranking, based on results at the ten toughest tournaments on the WTA Tour (the four Slams, the Championships, Miami, Rome, Sydney, San Diego, Filderstadt), Clijsters ends up #3 in the world with 13 Majors Points (trailing Serena, with 29 and Venus with 16; Jennifer Capriati is #4 with 11, Martina Hingis a surprisingly strong #5 with eight, and no one else earned more than four points; only fifteen players earned Majors ranking points at all: Those five plus Henin, Dokic, Hantuchova, Mauresmo, Shaughnesy, Davenport, Seles, Dementieva, Clarisa Fernandez, and, believe it or not, Anna Kournikova). We don't know who will get Player of the Year nominations (though we'd bet a lot that Serena will win) -- but Clijsters, from where we sit, looks like at least as strong a candidate as Jennifer ("My Only Title In A Year and a Half is the Australian Open") Capriati.

We will add one irritated footnote: Several news reports have harped on the fact that Clijsters is the first player since Martina Hingis at the 2001 Australian Open to beat both sisters in one event. True, of course -- but the opportunities for that are pretty slight. In 2002, they only played five of the same events (Miami, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, U. S. Open, and now the Championships). Serena won the first four of those, beating Venus each time. In 2001, they played six of the same events: Australian Open, Indian Wells, Miami, Roland Garros, Wimbledon, and the U. S. Open. Venus bailed out of Indian Wells (won by Serena), and won Miami, Wimbledon, and the U. S. Open (beating Serena in the latter). So chances are not that bad, if you can beat either one, you can beat them both. The real trick comes in beating the first one at a tournament where they both play....

Hawk
Nov 13th, 2002, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by budgirlbz

who's MJ? jordan?

Mary Joe Fernandez

pcabenojar
Nov 13th, 2002, 08:58 AM
Got this Interview of Lleyton after he defetaed Costa at the Masters Cup in Shanghai....I only post the ones where he was asked about Kim winning the tour championships.

read on ...

Lleyton Hewitt (d. Costa 62 46 63)
November 12 2002

QUESTION: Lleyton, with Kim doing so well overnight, so she's won her Masters, could you win yours? It's got a wonderful symmetry to it, doesn't it?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I've won already, I guess.

QUESTION: You've already got the bookends, but one more would be a nice payday for the family.
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it would be. I guess I get 50 per cent of that last night, so it's all right.

QUESTION: She's on 50 per cent too, I hear.
LLEYTON HEWITT: I guess. So we'll have to see what happens this week, but it would be nice, but, you know, first things first is to try to get through to the semis and if I can get through the semis, anything can happen. I feel like if I get through to the semifinals, I'll be hitting the ball well enough to maybe go in and win it, but then again there's a lot of things that can happen before then.

QUESTION: Have you had a chance to talk to Kim? Is she over the moon?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I spoke to her. It's obviously the biggest moment in her tennis career so far and to beat the Williams sisters back to back, it's not something that a lot of players can say they've done, I guess, especially this year, the way that they've dominated the sport. So it's an incredible achievement and she doesn't have a lot of points to defend really, I don't think, semis of the Aussie. But apart from that, she's got a good chance to go even higher in the rankings, I believe.

QUESTION: While Kim was winning, Arancha Sanchez-Vicario was retiring. Just wondering if you had a comment on that.
LLEYTON HEWITT: She retired?

QUESTION: Yeah.
LLEYTON HEWITT: I didn't know.

QUESTION: I didn't think you did.
LLEYTON HEWITT: She's obviously had an incredible -- are we going to talk about men's tennis? Yeah, she's had a great career and I guess there always comes a time for everyone to step down finally and she's pretty much done as much as she can do in the sport of tennis and I'm sure she can be pretty satisfied with the career that she's had.

QUESTION: Just a little last one on Kim. Is she coming here to support you?
LLEYTON HEWITT: No, she's not.

Pinkie
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:46 AM
As could be expected, the Belgian press paid A LOT of attention to Kim’s win in LA. And they tried to be reasonable, but not really. The general tone was one of “We know it’s not quite a grand slam, but technically it is the world championship. So although it was Serena’s year, we’re going to use the words ‘world champion’ a whole lot.” Hey, you can’t blame us…

All combined, I have a 22-page document with articles. A bit too much to translate, especially because a lot of it is the same.

A bowl of low-fat ice cream and a cd full of salsa music later, here are the translated highlights…

Kim quotes after the match:
De Morgen: “Tired? Everything but… I am ready for a big party!… “Before, I considered my French Open Final the highlight of my career. But I appreciate this more. When I won match point against Serena, I couldn’t believe it. I had goose bumps all over…. [losing from Serena in their five previous matches] was an extra motivation. I didn’t want to lose from her a sixth time. As the underdog, it felt great to win. But I knew that if I played my best tennis, I would have a chance against the Williams sisters… I’ve had a difficult year. When I had that injury and had to travel without a coach for a while, I felt a little depressed. But I always remained professional. That time has made me more mature and, looking back, has probably helped me to stay this strong at the end of the year. But it is amazing what I did here. I am still only 19, and I hadn’t hoped to win a tournament like the Masters at this age.”

De Standaard: “I think it is nice for all the players, to know that the Williams can be beaten.”

Het Laatste Nieuws: “This is the last tournament of the year. A prestigious tournament. For many girls, just participating is a dream. And I win.”

Reactions

Ivo Van Aken (in De Morgen): “Women’s tennis’ popularity will benefit from Kim beating the supposedly unbeatable…Serena probably played a little less dominantly than she did halfway through the season. During the masters, she had to work hard to win. But Kim played intelligently: Serena gets into trouble if you can force her into longer rallys. Kim successfully combined power and precision and that gets you very far. She forced Serena Williams into mistakes…”

Sabine Appelmans (in The Standaard): “If she can win the masters, she can win a grand slam. Kim has shown that the difference with the Williams sisters is not that big anymore. She is in better shape than Capriati, so Kim will pass her in 2003. And the year after that, the sisters, I guess…”

(in Het Nieuwsblad): “I have known for years how good she is. When she was 14, you couldn’t miss it. Power, talent, elegance, speed, … Just a different level than Dominque Van Roost or myself. And then the perfect combination of ambition and the ability to play without pressure.”

Filip De Wulf (in The Standaard): “A lot of people thought Kim had a bad tennis year: shoulder injury, change of coach, lesser results at the Slams… At the end, the opposite is true. She ended the year number 4 in the world.”

Frank Geerkens (one of the Belgians in the Staples Center, in het Belang van Limburg): “When Kim got to give a little speech at the end of the match, she thanked us for our support. That really meant a lot to us. She is a real lady. That is how she is known in the United States. Sports journalists have been referring to our girls’ results with a lot of respect for a while now. Her win against Serena doesn’t surprise anyone here.”

Pinkie
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:48 AM
How cute are Kim's grandparents?!

Het Belang Van Limburg: Kim’s grandparents on the phone all day

Kim’s grandparents’ phone didn’t stop ringing with congratulatory calls yesterday. “We might as well stay put right next to it,” say Lena Vanhove and Lode Clijsters from Opitter, smiling.

Lode had told Kim that she was the only one who could beat Serena Williams. “After she lost her first service game, I thought things would go wrong. But she recovered and then I knew she would win. Fifteen minutes after the match, she called. She was over the moon.”

According to Lena, everyone in Bree wants to thank Kim personally. “She has to play in Charleroi and it’s not sure that she will have time. She’ll arrive in Amsterdam today and has to play a couple of hours later. People will understand Kim is really busy.”

Her maternal grandparents, Louis Vandecaetsbeek en Antonia Schoefs, live in Hoeselt. Says Schoefs, “We drank champagne this morning, that’s how happy we are about Kim’s win. She called thirty minutes after the match and sounded really happy. Deep down she expected this, or had hoped for it. She was so happy to hear from us. After the match, I watched the tape and now I am watching the match her boyfriend Lleyton is playing. And I am listening to the comments on the radio. I am completely obsessed. We would have liked to have gotten together with the other grandparents, but Opitter is difficult to get to this early in the morning. But we keep in touch by phone. I am close to the phone right now. Family and friends are calling non-stop.”

Pinkie
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Het Belang Van Limburg: Father Lei: Achievement is underestimated in Belgium

Lei Clijsters grumbled [is that a word?] on the phone. And that had not just to do with the early hour in LA and the worries about how to get back to Belgium. Father Clijsters thinks his daughther’s achievements are underestimated in Belgium.

“The tut tut comments during the match against Justine Henin, the conceited remarks about the tournament, that it doesn’t mean that much: it is starting to irritate me.” According to Lei, after a night of only three hours of sleep. “There were 10,000 people in the Staples Center for the final. Venus might have been injured, but not giving away any sets against the Williams sisters, that is quite an achievement. Kim has been playing well for months. In America, people recognize that, in Belgium they apparently don’t.”

Another example of the Belgian inferioriy complex? “No, jealousy, pettiness. But those who mocked, now don’t have to come begging for an interview.”

Pinkie
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:51 AM
De Standaard: profile of Kim Clijsters. Female sports figure of the year.

Sturdy. That is probably the best word to describe the sporty body of Kim Clijsters. Those phenomenal upper legs, she inherited from her day, former Red Devil Leo Clijsters. She can thank her mother, a former gymnast, for her ability to slide across the clay court with elegance. Profile of a no-nonsense Limburg superstar.

Tennis players who get to the final of a tournament afterwards normally get a microphone shoved in their hands. The player is expected to comment on the match, praise the opponent and thank the ‘fantastic audience’, in front of a full crowd.

Most consider that some form of punishment. Not Kim Clijsters. She just happily starts chattering away. Not that the girl from Limburg has remarkable things to say (athletes rarely do), but what she says sounds nice, honest and cheerful.

Last year at the French Open, she surprised a stadium full of Parisiens by giving her speech in French. The French were so impressed, they promptly forgot they were looking at a ‘little Belgian.’ It is only an anecdote, but one that says a lot about this tennis star from Limburg.

Clijsters was born 19 years ago in Bilzen. That she got this far in sports is thanks to her mom and dad. Her mom was a gymnast; more famous is her father, Leo, who for quite a while was one of the more intelligent midfielders [soccer] in the country. He played for Tongeren, Waterschei and the KV Mechelen team that won the Euro Cup soccer. He was selected to play for the national team 53 times.

From those times come the first tv images of Kim, which have bee re-broadcasted frequently the past few years. They show Leo Clijsters in 1988 on his way to the Gouden Schoen award ceremony [yearly awards for best player in Belgian soccer league]. “And what will Kim get if I win?”, Leo asks his daughter on their driveway. “A tennis court,” answers Kim and runs away to practice some more.

Like many other promising players, Kim went to the tennis academy of the Flemish Tennis Association. But she didn’t stay until graduation. When Leo noticed that she couldn’t learn anything new at the school anymore, he took his daughter out of the school. Kim got her won coach, Carl Maes. That was the beginning of the strong ascent of the duo.

Leo put his career as a soccer coach on the back burner and became almost full time manager of his daughter. Ever since, like a responsible father, he guards his daughter’s finances. Whoever tries to take advantage of Kim’s win, will not get away with it. In 1998, she played her first tournament in the professional circuit. She ended that year ranked 409. To get an idea of her steep climb: in 1999 she has climbed to rank 49, in 2000 to 18.

She ended last year number 5 in the world. In the beginning of the year, she played the round of 16 at the Australian Open and at the Us Open. In Wimbledon, she got to the semi-finals.

En then there was that unforgettable final at the French Open, where she lost in a heart-stopping match from Jennifer Capriati. She lost the third and final set 12-10. That was the longest third set in the history of the tournament.

This year started difficult for the girl from Limburg. She played the semi-final at the Australian Open, but then injured her shoulder. Around the same time, she had to look for a new coach following the departure of Carl Maes.

For a while it looked like she would drop down into the bottom half of the top 10, but a strong end made the year more than ok. The past few weeks, she won the Hamburg [a little longer ago, but hey, who’s counting], Filderstadt and Luxemburg tournaments. After her win at the Masters, she will end the year ranked fourth, behind the untouchable Williams sisters and Jennifer Capriati.

That is a very strong result in a world sport like tennis. One that has to be ranked higher than a medal in judo or a world championship in cross country cycling.

Clijsters is becoming a real super star. She can thank herself for that in the first place, but also her relationship with Lleyton Hewitt, the Australian number one in men’s tennis.

The two love birds play the same kind of tennis: aggressive, powerful and taking lots of risks. They play to win, always. That is why Kim Clijsters already claims she won’t participate in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. The Olympic tennis will be played on gravel and that could mess up her preparation for the US Open. Only participating is not the most important thing to her.

Kim knows very well what she wants and what she can achieve, More than a year ago, she announced that a place in the top 4 was possible, and that the Williams sisters are beatable.

But as can be expected from a Limburg girl, she remains calm and her old self in the midst of all this success. Both Leo and Kim put things in perspective as much as possible. Whoever asks her questions about fame or wealth, is confronted with remarkable poise. For example, she claims to prefer cabbage and potatoes to an expensive dinner in a fancy restaurant. She started blushing when Koen Wauters [Belgian singer] serenaded her at the end of the exhibition match in the Antwerp Sportpaleis last year.

But it is not easy to remain yourself in the tennis tour and its high price money. It is a world of envy and jealousy, but according to insiders, Kim is the only top-10 player who interacts normally with her colleagues. You won’t hear her make nasty comments about other players.

And still she feels at home in this competitive environment. The whole year long, she travels from one continent to the other. Very un-Belgian is her quote that only after three months of traveling she gets homesick. Most Belgian soccer players get nervous after a week away from their mommy and start fighting.

It will be an exciting Female Sports Figure of the Year awards ceremony. Kim Clijsters, or that other Kim – Gevaert, two silver medals at the European Championship in Munchen.

Pinkie
Nov 14th, 2002, 03:52 AM
That's it from the translation front, people. Hope you like the articles:)

ClijstersHewitt
Nov 14th, 2002, 04:07 AM

Most consider that some form of punishment. Not Kim Clijsters. She just happily starts chattering away.

LMAO, that is so true.

Thanks for the translations Tinne. :kiss:

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 04:31 AM
thanks a lot Tinne! you're great! :kiss:

I still need to start working on the Walloon papers :o ...

pcabenojar
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Thanks so much for the translations/articles. I read a lot about what other journalist has to say about Kim & I'm really impressed.

Kim is such a nice girl who knows how to have fun & just play tennis. Fame & fortune is not her no.1 priority & only a few players are like that. I hope she continues her good form & if there is one player who deserves to win a grandslam next year it is definitely her. I hope she wins one (or more) next year. I'll keep on praying. :)

pcabenojar
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Here are some articles from the Australian site: more or less same to the other articles.

From theadvertiser.com.au

This one's for my $1.37m heroine
By DARREN WALTON in Shanghai
14nov02

FORGET the top ranking, Lleyton Hewitt is under pressure to win the Tennis Masters Cup this week for purely domestic reasons.

He is well aware he has to claim the title after his girlfriend banked the biggest pay cheque of her career.

While Hewitt says he isn't yet ready to marry Kim Clijsters, there's no doubt he and the Belgian star are already one big happy family.

Clijsters picked up $1.37 million for winning the women's season-ending tennis championship in Los Angeles on Monday.

"I guess I get 50 per cent of that, so that's all right," Hewitt said after opening his quest for the men's season-ending title in Shanghai with a hard-fought win over French Open champion Albert Costa.

The 21-year-old acknowledged it would be another nice pay day if he could pocket the winner's cheque for $1.25m if he snared a second straight Masters Cup.

But with $214,500 on offer for every pool win at the New Shanghai International Expo Centre plus another $661,500 for a semi-final victory, Hewitt's status as the breadwinner is not under threat by Clijsters' big collect.

Hewitt is at ease talking about his girlfriend of three years, and the two support one another courtside at tournaments around the world whenever the opportunity allows.

So where did Hewitt escape the limelight after winning Wimbledon to celebrate his greatest triumph?

Clijsters' Belgian base, of course.

But Hewitt said Clijsters wouldn't be in Shanghai this week as he bids to fend off the challenge from Andre Agassi to retain his year-end No. 1 ranking.

But he had been on the telephone to congratulate her, and his adoration for the 19-year-old was not hard to see when he said she was "over the moon" after claiming a rare winning double, defeating Venus and Serena Williams.

"It's obviously the biggest moment in her so far and to beat the Williams sisters back to back, it's not something that a lot of players can say they've done, especially this year, the way they've dominated the sport," he said.

"So it's an incredible achievement.

"And she doesn't have a lot of points to defend really, I don't think.

"(She reached) the semis of the Aussie (Open) but, apart from that, she's got a good chance to go even higher in the rankings, I believe."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From smh.com.au

Sweetheart deal: Clijsters's crowning glory
November 14 2002

Shanghai: As Lleyton Hewitt prepared for his assault on a second successive Masters Cup, he was given a welcome distraction with the news his girlfriend Kim Clijsters had picked up $US765,000 ($1.37million) for winning the women's season-ending championship in Los Angeles on Monday.

And the 21-year-old South Australian said it would be another nice pay day for the couple if he could pocket a winner's cheque of as much as US$1.43million. "I guess I get 50 per cent of that [Clijsters's winning cheque], so that's all right," Hewitt quipped after opening his quest for the season-ending title in Shanghai with a hard-fought 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win against French Open champion Albert Costa on Tuesday.

With $US120,000 on offer for every pool win at the New Shanghai International Expo Centre, $US370,000 for a semi-final victory and $US700,000 for a win in the final, it may prove a very profitable week for Hewitt and Clijsters.

Hewitt is at ease talking about his girlfriend of three years and the two support each other courtside at tournaments around the world whenever possible.

However, Clijsters will not be in Shanghai this week as Hewitt bids to fend off the challenge from Andre Agassi to retain his year-end No1 ranking.

But Hewitt has been on the phone to congratulate her. "It's obviously the biggest moment in her career so far and to beat the Williams sisters back-to-back [Serena in the final and Venus in a semi-final], it's not something that a lot of players can say they've done, especially this year, the way they've dominated the sport," he said.

"So it's an incredible achievement."

pcabenojar
Nov 14th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Belgium Hails Clijsters' WTA Victory Over Serena
Wed Nov 13, 8:25 AM ET

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgium lauded Kim Clijsters on Wednesday after the teenager upset world number one Serena Williams (news - web sites) to clinch the prestigious WTA Tour Championship.

"Clijsters: the best in the world," said Het Laaste Nieuws.

"The victory of 2002," cheered La Dernieure Heure.

"Kim Clijsters wows," splashed Gazet van Antwerpen across its front page, next to a picture showing the Belgian punching the air after her Los Angeles triumph.

Clijsters, dogged by a shoulder injury for much of the season, needed only 85 minutes to defeat Williams 7-5, 6-3 on Monday, in a victory that propelled her to number four in the world.

"Clijsters, 19, is now mature enough to go for her first Grand Slam victory and a well-considered attack on the top spot in world ranking," the Gazet Van Antwerpen said.

The Los Angeles victory gave her the edge over Belgium's other rising young star, Justine Henin, who she demolished 6-2, 6-1 in the quarter-finals of the Los Angeles tournament, the papers said.

"Physically, but especially mentally, Kim Clijsters is a notch higher than Justine Henin," tennis commentator Philippe Lacourt wrote in La Derniere Heure.

Great things will now be expected of Clijsters.

The icing on the cake is still out there," added De Morgen. "It would be a shame if Clijsters, given her talents, did not win a grand slam tournament. Without a doubt that goal in particular should push her sporting heart next season."

"Winning a master's is nice, but it can not at all be compared to a grand slam tournament."

Elke
Nov 14th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Thank you all so much for the articles!

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Thanks a lot for the articles!

OK, I promised to take care of the Walloon media:

Here is the first article of my selection, one I really like to share with the Kim fans out here.

It has been published in La Libre Belgique yesterday (Walloon media).

Kim or the hitting power

La Libre Belgique, November 13, 2002
by Philippe Vandenbergh
(translation by Ingrid)

If Kim knows where she is going, it’s because she knows where she is coming from. From Limbourg where one has to go down to the coals. By the power of the wrist and strong legs.
[note: Limbourg is a Belgian province that used to have a huge coal mine industry]

At once, we no longer call her Clijsters, but Kim. To others, she no longer will be the Fleming, but the Belgian.

The voice of the people adapts itself at the circumstances and feelings. Henin has always been Justine at this side of the linguistic border, even when her results aren’t at the same height as the hopes which she however has raised.

Nobody dares to admit it anymore these days, but it is clear that Kim Clijsters hasn’t always benefitted from the same media favours in the south of the country while the Dutch speaking press and even the international English press gave a more correct view of the level she was creating for herself on the tennis planet.

And the figures are to her credit. [note: here follows a list of her achievements]

Next to the juicy cheque of $ 765000 (!), Kim’s victory at the Masters allows her to re-enter in the top 5, when the new year-end rankings will be published next week. Gathering 750 points, she logically ends the season as the world number 4.
From now on none will be surprised if she would win one of the Grand Slams next season. And at that moment, Clijsters will be Kim again.

Into tennis since she was a little kid, Kim has the habit to talk in private that she has the legs of her dad Lei, an international soccer player, and the flexibility of her mom, a gymnast champion. Even more, she claims that her little sis Elke has more talent, and that isn’t false modesty.

One then also can understand the Clijsters clan so much as it looks like they came out of a painful ordeal, of which the decency and the respect of the private life forbit us to specify more. [note: what does the writer mean? Does he refer to Kim’s mother’s cancer?]

Without opening the romantic book in which Justine Henin is writing a personal page on Saturday with the wedding, it is clear that the presence at her side of a certain Lleyton Hewitt isn’t the least of support as he is no less than the current world number one.

The turtle-doves know and share the pressures of the tour and of their achievements. The night flights, the anonymous hotels, and the flashes of paparazzi are part of their daily life. Of course, we aren’t going to pity a couple who has already won over 5 million Euro this year only, but imagine very well that it isn’t always easy either. While you are reading these lines, Kim will be landing at Schiphol (where the flight is expected to land at 10.15 AM), and this evening she has to play against Justine Henin in an exhibition in Charleroi which she agreed upon since long.

Money? Of course she has. After all, it’s not her fault that her presence at the Masters is so lucrative. A journalist has calculated that by playing 56 games in 210 minutes in LA, she obtained a very nice € 218000/ hour. Easy to say afterwards that “la Kim” isn’t rewarded.

Nevertheless, the images of her smile, and that ball she launches into the crowd to reward them, indicate well that such a sportive performance takes priority over no matter how much prize money.

Consequently, this question: where will she retire? And when? “In maximum 5 years”, she told a colleague one day.

As she only is 19 years old, she could retire sooner than announced. Meanwhile, when she doesn’t play tennis, she is or in Bree where she loves to take care of the dogs, or in Australia.

She also hasn’t lost her head at all. Like a sword of Damocles stabbing and telling her:” Enjoy it, my girl, you already know that life can be bitter.” And Kim becomes Clijsters again.

END

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Whenever I get through the rest, I'll post them here ASAP. Each newspaper has several articles re Kim, so I know how to keep myself a bit busy LOL.

Lleykimmy1
Nov 14th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Thank you very much for all those nice articles and also thank you for the pictures of the exibition match !! :wavey:

KaseyL
Nov 14th, 2002, 12:19 PM
You're welcome!

Here's another article, from La Dernière Heure, November 13, 2002

I've taken highlights, as it is all way too much and mostly been written somewhere else too.

Kim, champion of the world
by Serge Fayat
(translation by Ingrid)

Her victory over Serena Williams gave her the creeps.

She let her racket drop to take her head into her two hands, so unbelievable her performance looked to her.
She launched a ball in the crowd like a baseball player would do before going to the other side of the net to hug her opponent like it was her own sister.

Kim Clijsters has achieved an exploit without precedent in the history of Belgian tennis. ...[note: follows quotes of Kim which were in other articles]

Her biggest check!

Kim Clijsters has earned the biggest check in the history of Belgian sport this Monday night. The Limburg girl brings home a modest $ 765.000 (or €). This brings her income this year to $ 1.538.779 (or €). ...[note: follows list]

If they’d like to offer themselves some vacation days after the season, Kim Clijsters and her fiance Lleyton Hewitt don’t need to refuse themselves anything. Since the beginning of the year, the Australian has already earned more than € 2.3 million. Together, the two turtle-doves have pocketed near € 5 million...
END

Hawk
Nov 14th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Thanks so much for the articles and translations! :kiss:
You guys are the best! :D