PDA

View Full Version : Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 4

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

C. W. Fields
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM
With 5000+ posts in the last volume and Caro about to start a new tournament; time to start volume 4! :)

http://www.tennisforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57365&d=1297848501

Volume 3 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=384645)
Volume 2 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335296)
Volume 1 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=127509)

jasminefu623
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Great!!! good luck caro, for the tournament and rest of the season:)

Frode
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Next time just use the report button when You guys cross 5 000 points, and we'll make another volume:)

Heia Caroline:cheer::cheer:

Protoss
Feb 16th, 2011, 04:24 AM
This thread needs a picture of Caro like the other threads had.

bruce goose
Feb 16th, 2011, 04:27 AM
VAMOS,Caro!!Let's make this your first official GS-winning cheering thread:cool:

C. W. Fields
Feb 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM
This thread needs a picture of Caro like the other threads had.

Your wish is my command!

Carofan
Feb 16th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have enjoyed the first three volumes of this epic saga. Being part of writing this tale has been exiting.

Vol 1. - The dream
Vol 2. - Sunshine
Vol 3. - Wall-niacki
Vol 4. -

Protoss
Feb 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Not a bad draw for Caro. Based on the draw she should make it to at least the quarters.

Good luck Caro. :)

C. W. Fields
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Caro wins 6-1, 3-5 ret. This match reminded me of the one against Vera in YEC 09. Vera played crap the first set, but though Caro won the set easily she didn't get into a rhytm. And when her opponent suddenly raised her level in 2nd set Caro had problems adapting to the new circumstances. It's definitely something she needs to work on.

Protoss
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Caro wins 6-1, 3-5 ret. This match reminded me of the one against Vera in YEC 09. Vera played crap the first set, but though Caro won the set easily she didn't get into a rhytm. And when her opponent suddenly raised her level in 2nd set Caro had problems adapting to the new circumstances. It's definitely something she needs to work on.
That's what happens when you're waiting for your opponents errors and not making things happen yourself. :shrug:

CloudAtlas
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
A disappointing result as we can't really gather much of Caro's current form but she needs to do well against Morita to get a few wins under her belt. For some reason she doesn't do well in Dubai.

Carofan
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Its not like Caro won by retirement behind 3-5 in the final set. According to the scoreline Caro won the first set, if you check again.

TennisFan66
Feb 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
After a slump in first part of 2nd, Caro upped her level. I'd say she had won it in 2 anyway .. with or without fainting. With as it was. GL in R3 against Bandwaggon bus Kvitova.... oh wait. :lol:

GL in R3 Caro :kiss:

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
A win is a win whatever. Of course it was awfull for Chakvetadze fainting like that, and Caroline was up with her very quickly after the umpire.

But contrary to all the "she was being beaten by a sick player" yap, the set was not over let alone the match.

Yes Chakvetadze played very much better in the second, and yes Caroline was making a lot of UEs up to 0-3, but she started to hold her serve and broke back and nearly broke back again but C held her serve, and at 3-5 she was 30-15 up in C's serve before she collapsed and certainly didn't look finished at all.
I think that Caroline was definitly getting back in the game and it could have been hers in 3 if not 2, not easily or certain but a definite possibility.

Now I am looking forward to the next against Morita, whom she is 2-0 H2H, ok they were in 2009 & 2008.

CWTennis
Feb 16th, 2011, 04:51 PM
poor Chaky! Get well soon!
Caro wasn't playing great but her win was never in doubt!
GL in 3rd round
p.s. Loved the outfit, she looked beautiful!

Burisleif
Feb 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Now I am looking forward to the next against Morita, whom she is 2-0 H2H, ok they were in 2009 & 2008.

Not seen her play, She has an unconventional game I read?

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 16th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Not seen her play, She has an unconventional game I read?

I read the same, but apart from the H2H I know nothing about her, i was hoping someone could fill us in.

Protoss
Feb 16th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I read the same, but apart from the H2H I know nothing about her, i was hoping someone could fill us in.
I think she takes the ball early, hits it flat but I'm not certain.

A strange statistic from her 1st 2 main draw matches in this tournament is that she won 66% and 81% of respectively on her 2nd serve. Stosur led the Wta last year with an average winning % of 52% on her 2nd serve.

C. W. Fields
Feb 16th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm no expert on Morita but this is what I know: The most unconventional thing about her is probably her two-handed FH. Her serve is somewhat weak which Caro must take advantage of. She's very quick on her feet and mentally tough. She mostly stays at the baseline, hitting hard and flat (not as hard and flat as Li Na, though). But she's not afraid to come to the net if need be. She's less consistent than Caro, making a fair deal of UEs.
For those with ESP; there's 5 matches with her in the archive.

Edit: Wickmayer saves 4 mps and beats Li Na in 3 sets! How much you wanna bet GM will explode with "Wozniacki being the luckiest girl in the world" because her supposedly toughest opponents lose early!?
Edit2: What a surprise, NOT! http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=429252

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 16th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I'm no expert on Morita but this is what I know: The most unconventional thing about her is probably her two-handed FH. Her serve is somewhat weak which Caro must take advantage of. She's very quick on her feet and mentally tough. She mostly stays at the baseline, hitting hard and flat (not as hard and flat as Li Na, though). But she's not afraid to come to the net if need be. She's less consistent than Caro, making a fair deal of UEs.
For those with ESP; there's 5 matches with her in the archive.

Edit: Wickmayer saves 4 mps and beats Li Na in 3 sets! How much you wanna bet GM will explode with "Wozniacki being the luckiest girl in the world" because her supposedly toughest opponents lose early!?

Thanks for info.

Hah, I just read about Wickmayer v Li, Who cares about GM, you have to accept the rough with the smooth in Sport as in Life.:angel:

terjw
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:14 PM
poor Chaky! Get well soon!
Caro wasn't playing great but her win was never in doubt!
GL in 3rd round
p.s. Loved the outfit, she looked beautiful!

Agree. She was also genuinely very worried for Chaky and came straight over when she fainted. Some things are more important than tennis like kindness and compassion which Caro showed. Someone in GM called her a vulture for this. Probably someone who next says "I don't hate her - it's just her game I don't like".

Anyway GL against Morita. Caro needs to raise her game.

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Has anyone got the Winners UE set2 Summery, I have the 1st set.?

http://mmdiwa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pTCQlPjNF7b9xx2qJByZXmfgP-zlee99iSlMZxGlJqVhSBGApXbOxY0f9HSO4smlpyNb1F7qlQhU Kv66NHXvhPNCZZpJXncRI/Woz%20Chad%20Dubai%20R2%20set1summery.GIF?psid=1
http://mmdiwa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pBj_CXWA0hDk0cvZ7Mfpk4j07mJPWZUjbwugNkLn0AHPc0YN 7boBXBgNjO9zlhD0d0gyymwQW5qlB1g83w9Gq5YbnlK9eWPCE/Woz%20Chad%20Dubai%20r2%20set%201.gif?psid=1http://mmdiwa.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pPaT2aHIBBTAYnm2lbugoxA4T3LDreKyA-zBDmd7aEj9QLnyfKIeRsEOezthzWkph-nvR-9_HwgnkgDUZFlADLPGjtAnkv2xh/Woz%20Chad%20Dubai%20r2%20set%202.gif?psid=1

TennisFan66
Feb 16th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Didnt Caro play dubs with Ayumi Morita a couple of years ago?

bruce goose
Feb 17th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Agree. She was also genuinely very worried for Chaky and came straight over when she fainted. Some things are more important than tennis like kindness and compassion which Caro showed. Someone in GM called her a vulture for this. Probably someone who next says "I don't hate her - it's just her game I don't like".Though I don't condone the barbarity of Dr.Mengele,sometimes I think that sterilization isn't such a bad plan for people who demonstrate vastly inferior DNA with their mental ineptitude....It's miraculous that the folks who see Caro most often on tour,and actually KNOW her:angel:,don't seem to notice these alleged character flaws

Protoss
Feb 17th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Didnt Caro play dubs with Ayumi Morita a couple of years ago?
They played doubles in juniors but not on the senior level.

Carofan
Feb 17th, 2011, 05:02 AM
Though I don't condone the barbarity of Dr.Mengele,sometimes I think that sterilization isn't such a bad plan for people who demonstrate vastly inferior DNA with their mental ineptitude....It's miraculous that the folks who see Caro most often on tour,and actually KNOW her:angel:,don't seem to notice these alleged character flaws

The axes of evil is Stalin, Caro, Osama Bin Laden and Hitler.

Protoss
Feb 17th, 2011, 08:20 AM
So what's Aga do differently againt Bartoli than Caro does? She's now won all 6 matches she's played against Bartoli dropping only the 1st set they played while Caro's lost her last 2 matches against Bartoli.

terjw
Feb 17th, 2011, 10:04 AM
So what's Aga do differently againt Bartoli than Caro does? She's now won all 6 matches she's played against Bartoli dropping only the 1st set they played while Caro's lost her last 2 matches against Bartoli.

I don't think it's anything particular with Marion that Caro has lost her last 2 matches and Aga always wins. Or that we can draw any big conclusions from this. The last time at Cinci she didn't play well in that match but in fairness she'd just flown out to the States from Denmark. It was after then that Caro really went on a tear. I don't see Caro losing to Marion in the form she upped herself into last year. In the form she is in now - she's managing to get wins. But really the tour is so deep now that their's plenty of players - not just Marion - that could beat her. She'll make it difficult to be beaten. She ought to beat players like Marion but it's no foregone conclusion.

I've never actually seen Aga against Marion so can't answer your question. But I think what does Caro needs to do. Just all round improving. Cut down on hitting so many short balls back; cut down on UEs - something which is always of concern when Caro does it - so that if it gets into a long rally that she is the favourite to win the point; her serve - against Na at AO this let her down badly; work on trying to be more aggressive without seriously jeopardising her UE count. I do enjoy her BHDTL.

TennisFan66
Feb 17th, 2011, 04:01 PM
They played doubles in juniors but not on the senior level.

Ah. Thx Protoss. ..

From todays match, I understand Caro was using Stosur'esque kick serves? .. wicked!

TennisFan66
Feb 17th, 2011, 04:03 PM
The axes of evil is Stalin, Caro, Osama Bin Laden and Hitler.

and Caro fans... Futher to similarities, 'we' bring the abuse to ourselves and its our own fault! According to GM logic. Same logic and explanation was very popular duirng Adolfs regime.

Burisleif
Feb 17th, 2011, 04:29 PM
and Caro fans... Futher to similarities, 'we' bring the abuse to ourselves and its our own fault! According to GM logic. Same logic and explanation was very popular duirng Adolfs regime.

I seriously don't see your issue.... Everybody knows that Neanderthals worshipped the Sun, so its natural they blame Sunshine for their favourites dismal displays. :devil:

My favorite post yesterday was a Chinese Li Na fan that posted re Wickmayer "break a leg" not realising its term of encouragement. :) She duly obliged. :)

Very Wolfyesque :lol:

terjw
Feb 17th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ah. Thx Protoss. ..

From todays match, I understand Caro was using Stosur'esque kick serves? .. wicked!

Well - I was pretty confused by Caro's serving today. But there's a couple of great posts by Burisleif and CWF in the Live Scoring Thread at the end of the match explaining it all. There's no way though that Caro's serves today were anywhere near the Sam kickserve class. And she'll get murdered if she tries that with most other players.

You really can't say much about her win today. She was under absolutely no pressure whatsoever and Morita had nothing to hurt Caro.

There was also a presentation at the end in which Caro gave the trophy. She was also politely getting the recipient to where he should be standing when they all took 2 step forward and he stayed back. :lol: I missed who it was to or what it was for though.

DownInAHole
Feb 17th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Well - I was pretty confused by Caro's serving today. But there's a couple of great posts by Burisleif and CWF in the Live Scoring Thread at the end of the match explaining it all. There's no way though that Caro's serves today were anywhere near the Sam kickserve class. And she'll get murdered if she tries that with most other players.

You really can't say much about her win today. She was under absolutely no pressure whatsoever and Morita had nothing to hurt Caro.

There was also a presentation at the end in which Caro gave the trophy. She was also politely getting the recipient to where he should be standing when they all took 2 step forward and he stayed back. :lol: I missed who it was to or what it was for though.

Agreed. Sam's kickserves have much more, ahem, kick to them.;)

C. W. Fields
Feb 17th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I've just rewatched the last Caro-Shahar match from Beijing. They're about equally dangerous when it comes to attacking but SP doesn't have Caro's stability and makes more mistakes. If Caro plays near her best with good depth on her groundstrokes and prevents SP from coming forward much she should win the match. But the circumstances certainly aren't ideal; switching to a different court with a slightly different surface which her opponent is familiar with and Caro isn't. No Hawkeye. Playing 5 hours earlier than Caro's previous matches so the sun suddenly becomes a factor, especially on serve. And considering it's still early in the season I only see Caro as a small favorite.

bruce goose
Feb 18th, 2011, 04:09 AM
Really,really love the idea of Caro's winning more free points with her serve...just PLEASE don't ever adopt a service motion,Caro,that'll throw your shoulder out of whack:eek:

Carofan
Feb 18th, 2011, 05:43 AM
Caro has some haters, but look at the rating on this new movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1702443/ :haha:

backhandsmash
Feb 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM
8,976 88.9% 1. That's pretty harsh, even for IMDB. :lol:

TennisFan66
Feb 18th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Caro has some haters, but look at the rating on this new movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1702443/ :haha:

Its a Bieber movie :worship: .. I've offered in GM to exchange tickets for the Klitova Bandwaggon Bus to a Bieber concert, but surprisingly I haven't had any takes so far ;) I am afraid that first stop crash Vs Yumichan didn't help :lol:

As for todays match, welcome back to the REAL #1 :worship: (@terj yes I know Kim is currently the better player, but its too fun an opportunity to pass to post 'real' #1 in GM. You'll understand, I'm sure :) )

Jorn
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Congrats Caro, back at No. 1 after QF win! :)

http://www.tina-pisnik.net/carono1-3.png

Carofan
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
We are back baby!

CWTennis
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM
WD Caro! I can change my signature again! :)

:lol:

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1231655927/22a5b0aa4b2e_normal.jpgCaroWozniacki (http://twitter.com/#!/CaroWozniacki)
Won my match against Shahar Peer 6-2 6-4, playing the semis tomorrow and got my number 1 ranking back :))

http://a1.twimg.com/profile_images/341348152/KimClijsters_head_small_normal.jpgClijsterskim (http://twitter.com/#!/Clijsterskim)
@CaroWozniacki (http://twitter.com/#!/CaroWozniacki) Congrats :-) ha ha

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Despite the wind and different surface Caroline did it. Nice one.
But oh dear, why couldn't she finish it of when serving for the match 1st time!!!! it shortened my life by a week at least.

One thing I have kind of noticed before, and very much so in the last 2 matches, is that when Caroline is really on top in a match and her opponent plays badly in a period, then when her opponent plays well again its like Caroline cannot change immediately back to a more aggressive game.

This should be something they should work on.

terjw
Feb 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Despite the wind and different surface Caroline did it. Nice one.
But oh dear, why couldn't she finish it of when serving for the match 1st time!!!! it shortened my life by a week at least.

One thing I have kind of noticed before, and very much so in the last 2 matches, is that when Caroline is really on top in a match and her opponent plays badly in a period, then when her opponent plays well again its like Caroline cannot change immediately back to a more aggressive game.

This should be something they should work on.

Very true.

Burisleif
Feb 18th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Missed the match :( well done Caro... Anyone fancy writing a brief summery of play and how Caro's nerves were? :)

Protoss
Feb 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Caro plays Jankovic in the semis.

WozLolz
Feb 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Tomorrow is a great time to eliminate that goose egg in the Wozniacki-Jankovic head to head. Come on, Caroline!!! :bounce:

Protoss
Feb 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Go practice that forehand Caro.

Jankovic regularly picked on that forehand in their last match (the 2010 Indian Wells final).

C. W. Fields
Feb 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM
If Caro wins a set she wins the match. I don't see JJ winning 3 3-sets matches in 3 days against one of the most fit players on tour. And yes, JJ will likely play to Caro's FH a great deal. Caro needs to find some of that FH sharpness she showed late last season. And I really hope Caro won't experiment too much on her serve tomorrow but just fire off loads of +170 kmh serves! JJ wasn't scary good today or yesterday, both Stosur and Kanepi fed her tons of errors. She isn't as sharp from the baseline as she once was. If only Caro keeps enough depth on her shots to prevent JJ from stepping into the court regularly I don't see the Serb hurting Caro too often. Long points and a long match is to Caro's advantage, but she also needs to fire off a fair deal of winners to make JJ nervous and prevent her confidence from rising too high. A JJ who really believes in herself is dangerous.
I'm excited to see what tactics Piotr might come up with.

JadeFox
Feb 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM
So she's back to number one and in the semis for the first time here. Great!

I just hope that her match against JJ is a good one.

Protoss
Feb 18th, 2011, 03:51 PM
So any comments on the match from Caro & or Piotr?

Protoss
Feb 18th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Iím gonna be pretty disappointed and frustrated if Caro loses to Jankovic tomorrow.

Caro has been the better player from 2009 on. Yet if Caro loses tomorrow she'll have gone 0-3 against Jankovic during this period. In addition, Jankovic has played 2 long matches on back to back days.

If Caro can't beat Jankovic now, then when?

Most of the top 20 besides Caro have beaten Jankovic.

I'm wondering when Caro will stop being owned by players like Jankovic, Li, Martinez Sanchez, and others. For a top 5 player let alone the world #1 there are way too many players that she can't beat.

angliru
Feb 18th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I'm wondering when Caro will stop being owned by players like Jankovic, Li, Martinez Sanchez, and others. For a top 5 player let alone the world #1 there are way too many players that she can't beat.

It's rather coincidental or random IMO. I'm aware that the H2H-statistics are important among the press and the fans, and not least among the players themselves, but we must also remember that the best tennis players don't play against each other very often. No players are in a continually good form for 10 months, so a lot of the results depends on having a good or bad day. Then there's the various courts, surfaces, and climates (and weathers) which can be deciding factors in any match, or certainly be advantageous to one of the players. And the most important factor is probably experience. We often talk about Caro as if she's been around forever, but she hasn't. She's really inexperienced compared to, say, Na Li, Clijsters, Jankovic, and MJMS. Caro was good in 2009, but certainly not experienced, and she lacked that little 'extra' in the BIG matches (against big ooponents or at big events like the USO final). She's better now, and more experienced (yet still only 20!), and I'm sure she'll eventually get a good h2h statistic against any player.

angliru
Feb 18th, 2011, 07:14 PM
What a marvellous start of the season for Caro - in spite of everything (devastating losses to Cibulkova and Na Li, new racket, and the so-called pressure of being #1)! She's rarely in good form in January and February but her SF at AO was by far her best January result ever. And now her SF in Dubai is her best February result ever (her previous best February result was a Final in Memphis but a SF in Dubai must be better - both regarding ranking and prize money). Yet, Caro's game doesn't seem on par with her 2010 fall season. It's really weird, but I'm not complaining.

She could win this tournament, but I don't think she will. She doesn't seem as consitently convincing as when she won those 5 tournaments in a span of just two months in the autumn of 2010. But it's Caro, and anything can happen. She has won the past two Premier 5's, and her current winning streak at P5's is 13-0!

One last comment: I only saw Caro's match against Chakvetadze last night, and I thought Anna's collapse was quite scary. And I must admit that I'd prefer Anna to stay healthy over Caro winning the match - if those were the only options (which they're not!). But of course, Caro might still have won the match if Anna was healthy; we'll never know. We certainly can't blame Caro for the outcome. But I hope Anna is well soon.

Protoss
Feb 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
As Brad Gilbert likes to say, "bring the gas" on the serve Caro.

DownInAHole
Feb 18th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Missed the match :( well done Caro... Anyone fancy writing a brief summery of play and how Caro's nerves were? :)

I'm a bit late but sure I'll return the favour of your recent recaps.

Peer started very poorly and Caroline quickly got up two breaks (3-0) before Peer briefly came alive and broke Caroline in the fourth game and then held her serve to make it 3-2 but from there Peer played very bad and Caroline finished the set 6-2.

A couple of funny things I noticed in the first set, in the sixth game (with Caroline up 3-2 30-0) Caroline thought that one of her balls went long and made a noise ("awwiiee"). She probably should have lost the point but did not. There was another point where her shot was called out and Kader Nouni immediately corrected the call and the point was replayed. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was funny that Kader was taking care of Caroline so well.

Caroline quickly got up 4-0 in the second mostly due to Peer's poor play (ooo, alliteration) before Peer held at 4-1 and broke for 4-2. Caroline then broke again (5-2) and it looked like she was going to serve the match out but she was broken (5-3) and then Peer held (5-4) before Caroline was able to serve the match out (6-4). The last game was somewhat nerve wracking as it went to deuce a couple of times.

The general feeling amongst us on the live scoring thread was that we were happy Caroline won the match but slightly annoyed that she almost let Peer back into the second set. It's very difficult to judge how Caroline was playing because Peer really had long patches where she was playing quite poorly and making lots of bad errors. Caroline does have a tired Jankovic tomorrow so she should be able to get her first win against her and sneak into the final but I think most people would agree that so far Caroline has not played her best tennis.

There were no racket tosses but there was one of Caroline's "ball kicks." For photographic evidence see the picture thread.

terjw
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:23 PM

Peer started very poorly and Caroline quickly got up two breaks (3-0) before Peer briefly came alive and broke Caroline in the fourth game and then held her serve to make it 3-2 but from there Peer played very bad and Caroline finished the set 6-2.

A couple of funny things I noticed in the first set, in the sixth game (with Caroline up 3-2 30-0) Caroline thought that one of her balls went long and made a noise ("awwiiee"). She probably should have lost the point but did not. There was another point where her shot was called out and Kader Nouni immediately corrected the call and the point was replayed. Maybe it's just me but I thought it was funny that Kader was taking care of Caroline so well.

Caroline quickly got up 4-0 in the second mostly due to Peer's poor play (ooo, alliteration) before Peer held at 4-1 and broke for 4-2. Caroline then broke again (5-2) and it looked like she was going to serve the match out but she was broken (5-3) and then Peer held (5-4) before Caroline was able to serve the match out (6-4). The last game was somewhat nerve wracking as it went to deuce a couple of times.

The general feeling amongst us on the live scoring thread was that we were happy Caroline won the match but slightly annoyed that she almost let Peer back into the second set. It's very difficult to judge how Caroline was playing because Peer really had long patches where she was playing quite poorly and making lots of bad errors. Caroline does have a tired Jankovic tomorrow so she should be able to get her first win against her and sneak into the final but I think most people would agree that so far Caroline has not played her best tennis.

There were no racket tosses but there was one of Caroline's "ball kicks." For photographic evidence see the picture thread.

Good summary.

I would just like to add something on the last 2 points of the match when Shahar had got it back to 5-4 and with Caro having to serve again for the match. We were all very nervous. Caro had got the score back to deuce. Then she hit a really good and brave second serve close to or touching the side line taking Shahar out wide to get to MP. And on MP itself she hit a good approach shot getting a weak return and was the calmest among us as she volleyed it away in the open space.

With all the pressure and the nerves we all had at the end - they were two perfect points so coolly played to end it. And they were won - not gifted with an UE. It almost erased from my mind all that had happeed from Caro being 5-2 up

Burisleif
Feb 18th, 2011, 11:39 PM

Good summary.

I would just like to add something on the last 2 points of the match

Cheers guys,

I guess she still has a little way to go in being fully confident with her new kit... That probably exaggerates things at tense moments. Certainly we have seen some pleasing new plays from her so far this year.. I guess we just have to be patient for them to be the norm and all the parts to click... Getting the first big win out the way will surely help a lot. :)

VasVas
Feb 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Im sure this has been discussed before, but dont you guys think her top is a little bit revealing..? Not that i complain but i was literally checking her breasts everytime camera zooms to her :)

DownInAHole
Feb 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Im sure this has been discussed before, but dont you guys think her top is a little bit revealing..? Not that i complain but i was literally checking her breasts everytime camera zooms to her :)

Eh, it seems fairly modest to me. Did you see Kvitova at the Australian Open? Mucho cleavage.

TennisFan66
Feb 19th, 2011, 11:28 AM

You're not alone ;) ...

Great win today. Vs active former #1 (this obviously just to say to the idiots in GM) .. Vs JJ ..Never won Vs her before and more ranking points for the real #1 :worship:

and such a goat come-back in the 1st set. Super.

They mentioned on British ES, Caro's FH speed was up 8kmh Vs previous rounds. It was nice to see her using a more flattened out FH at times. It worked wonders!

CWTennis
Feb 19th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Yesssssss! first win over Jankovic! I'm so happy! :bounce:
Well done Caro!:)
omg, what a first set, poor start but then great comeback from Caro, she just kept fighting! :worship:
Good luck in final Sunshine! :cheer:

Nena_xxx
Feb 19th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!!! Watched her today, nice win. :cheer:

terjw
Feb 19th, 2011, 02:00 PM
You're not alone ;) ...

Great win today. Vs active former #1 (this obviously just to say to the idiots in GM) .. Vs JJ ..Never won Vs her before and more ranking points for the real #1 :worship:

and such a goat come-back in the 1st set. Super.

They mentioned on British ES, Caro's FH speed was up 8kmh Vs previous rounds. It was nice to see her using a more flattened out FH at times. It worked wonders!

The big theory is that all a player has to do is target Caro's weak forehand and they'll win the match. But the reason they don't is that collectively all the other players are too dumb to realise it and that's why they beat themselves so the theory goes. They point to JJ - that she showed the way at IW 2010 final and that's all anyone had to do. Always makes me smile these simplistic theories. They know better than all the other professional players in all their matches with Caro. But in all but that one time these professional players can't work it out.

For quite some time now - I really don't mind players targetting her forehand. She has actually even hit some great winners with it - but yes she doesn't often do any damage with it like her backhand - it's normallycross court and deep to keep the rally going and getting it deep is the main thing she's focused on. It's really overdone that it's the liability that people make out. Of course if she hits her forehand short - that's another matter. But I really am not worried by the "target her forehand" tactic and I can't believe Caro is either. She's expecting it.

On the match today against JJ - another of my favourite players :hearts: although there was a bit of needle today: I just can't describe how cross I was at Caro in those first few games. Fine if she was being outplayed - but making all those UEs.m I get really hard on Caro more than any other player because she just doesn't make UEs like this normally.

But I'm so proud of her the way she turned it around.

One final thing. I don't know what it is - body language or whether I'm the only one. Don't know why. I always felt that inwardly and before the match even - Caro believes or rather knows she is the better playe and should win despite the 4-0 H2H. JJ - well she also thinks that and that she can win. But with Caro it comes across with more conviction and intensity. Although of course she has the utmost respect for JJ and all her opponents.

Carofan
Feb 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
According to GM all the opponents play the worst match of their career against Caro. :smash:

So much jealousy in GM. They all wait for their favorites to find their form, and play the 3-4 good weeks a year they can, and wonder why Caro is number one in the world.

Caro is the one who can deliver results in the longest time period, thats why she is number one and deserves it 100%.

angliru
Feb 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I just can't describe how cross I was at Caro in those first few games. Fine if she was being outplayed - but making all those UEs.m I get really hard on Caro more than any other player because she just doesn't make UEs like this normally.

But I'm so proud of her the way she turned it around.
She said something about her play, errors, and aggressiveness after the match according to Ekstra bladet (http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1506325.ece):

- I didn't think about the scoreline. I thought I had to hit the ball, play agressively, and dictate the game.

- If I make errors, then so be it. But I wouldn't just keep the ball in play, because then she'd finish me, said Wozniacki...

TennisFan66
Feb 19th, 2011, 03:03 PM
The big theory is that all a player has to do is target Caro's weak forehand and they'll win the match. .

I know. Its like a broken record from those numbnutz in GM. I recently read a comment from Michael Mortensen (ex KB chief trainer, current Danish Fed Cup captain and a member of 'Team Wozniacki') that she's worked hard on making her FH more aggressive in off season. Obviously he'll know as he has likely been involved. But I thought it was really encouraging to see Caro flatten out the FH to go DTL with an aggressive FH.

C. W. Fields
Feb 19th, 2011, 03:35 PM
So, it's Kuznetsova. Let's hope Caro handles her as neatly tomorrow as she did in Montreal.

DownInAHole
Feb 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM
So, it's Kuznetsova. Let's hope Caro handles her as neatly tomorrow as she did in Montreal.

I only watched parts of the match but against Pennetta Kuznetsova was hitting a lot of forehand winners but she was also making lots of unforced errors. I like Caroline's chances of winning this title.

TennisFan66
Feb 19th, 2011, 03:40 PM

Fingers crossed on that one. With Panetta, you'd sort of know exactly what was in store. With Sveta its ... well a bit of a hit and miss really. Looks like Caro is 1.5; Sveta 3.0 ..

stangtennis
Feb 19th, 2011, 04:05 PM
They also said the Hawk-eye system revealed that 2 of JJ's 4 service aces was actually out, but Caro didn't challenge any of them, so the Hawk-eye replays was never shown on the bigscreen and they remained aces. One of them was in the first service game.
Caro is usually quick to challenge, but she didn't even seemed to consider it on those occasions. But it's also very hard to see where the ball lands on a serve.

SOA_MC
Feb 19th, 2011, 04:31 PM
They're all just hating because it's cool to do so :yawn:
Cool fact including Dubai Caro has made 6 finals (winning 4) from her last 9 tournaments.

That's a fucking #1 suckers :armed:

BTW the Doha draw came out today

Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v BYE
Nadia Petrova (RUS) v Roberta Vinci
(ITA)Flavia Pennetta (ITA) v Jie Zheng (CHN)
Lucie Safarova (CZE) v (7)Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)

I not so secretly wish with IW final points to defend Caro would withdraw from Doha but we all know that is not happening.

C. W. Fields
Feb 19th, 2011, 04:50 PM
They're all just hating because it's cool to do so :yawn:
Cool fact including Dubai Caro has made 6 finals (winning 4) from her last 9 tournaments.

That's a fucking #1 suckers :armed:

BTW the Doha draw came out today

Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v BYE
Nadia Petrova (RUS) v Roberta Vinci
(ITA)Flavia Pennetta (ITA) v Jie Zheng (CHN)

I not so secretly wish with IW final points to defend Caro would withdraw from Doha but we all know that is not happening.

Doha looks interesting. Probably Petrova first. I'm hoping for Zheng next; Caro has a H2H to correct there.
Why would you want her to miss Doha? She has a week off between Doha and IW. Plenty of time to recover from fatigue.

terjw
Feb 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM
They also said the Hawk-eye system revealed that 2 of JJ's 4 service aces was actually out, but Caro didn't challenge any of them, so the Hawk-eye replays was never shown on the bigscreen and they remained aces. One of them was in the first service game.
Caro is usually quick to challenge, but she didn't even seemed to consider it on those occasions. But it's also very hard to see where the ball lands on a serve.

And also Caro is usually as blind as a bat on hawkeye challenges. :lol::lol:

I've lost count of the number of times I hear a commentator say - well Caro was right over the ball so she should be pretty confident to stop play and make a challenge. Only to find it's in and not even close.

Protoss
Feb 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Doha looks interesting. Probably Petrova first. I'm hoping for Zheng next; Caro has a H2H to correct there.
Why would you want her to miss Doha? She has a week off between Doha and IW. Plenty of time to recover from fatigue.
Plus she doesn't play her 1st match at Indian Wells until friday or saturday as all 32 seeds receive a 1st round bye.

SOA_MC
Feb 19th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Winning a slam is supposedly this years big goal. This feels like Caro playing a tournament because there is one next up on the schedule. You can say Doha will have no influence on RG but you can argue that playing for the sake of playing may have cost 08' Jankovic a slam.

GAWOZFAN
Feb 19th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Nice job Caro on getting to the finals!

Haven't been able to follow "live" this week due to a bad work schedule. Thanks to all for the posts in the live scoring thread, it's about the next best thing as to seeing Caro's matches with my own 2 eyes. Credit to CW for his post down 1-4 against JJ, spot on..

1-4. JJ doesn't play brillantly but Caro's shots are alternately too short or long, too high or low. If only Caro starts playing decently I think she can get back into this match.

Good luck in the final Caroline. We'll be watching in real time for this one. Take it to Sveta!!!

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Winning a slam is supposedly this years big goal. This feels like Caro playing a tournament because there is one next up on the schedule. You can say Doha will have no influence on RG but you can argue that playing for the sake of playing may have cost 08' Jankovic a slam.

Well it's not 2008, CW is not JJ, and Team Wozniacki never play for the sake of playing but to win, and CW always says that she plays 1 match at a time let alone thinking about tournaments. She also says she would rather be playing tournaments than practicing. So whatever we have thought about their scheduling over the years, they go ahead and do it.
Plus some people were moaning because she didn't play Paris and Klijster got to be #1, and that would have been 3 in a row before a slam :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 19th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Iam happy for Caroline that she won and in such away, to fight her way back into the match like that and not let the EUs in the first 4-5 games put her off and go back to that passiv mode as she has done in the past.

Personally I thought Caroline came out looking helpless up too 4-1 JJ was all over her as she could do nothing right, so it was very hard to watch. But then the fighter CW turned up after the trainer throat thing (what was that about?)and then it all got a lot better.

I do not think it was black or white how she won, whether it was only because JJ was tired or only because CW played better the longer the match, progressed.

I think it was a bit of each. I'm sure JJ wasn't so fresh after the previous 3 setters, and I could see that Caroline started to play better.

But it could have ended differently, in theory if JJ had managed to close the first set early because CW had not got going so much, the impetus and adrenaline could have kept her supposed fatigue away, and she would have carried over to the 2nd and Won.

We will never know. But alls well that ends well.

And tommorrow Kuznetsova, that I am looking forward too, I would say that Caroline has a good chance but to be on the safe side I will say its 50 50 we will see ;)

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 19th, 2011, 08:28 PM
And next week Doha, if they don't start having unrest there as well, the Bahrain car race stuff has been cancelled because of it.

I think that with the field as it is Caroline has a chance to get further in this tournament too.

1)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v BYE
Nadia Petrova (RUS) v Roberta Vinci (ITA)
Flavia Pennetta (ITA) v Jie Zheng (CHN)

(3)Francesca Schiavone (ITA) v BYE
Kaia Kanepi (EST) v Qualifier
Alisa Kleybanova (RUS) v Marion Bartoli (FRA)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) v (8)Shahar Peer (ISR)

(5)Jelena Jankovic (SRB) v (wc)Fatma Al Nabhani (OMA)
(wc)Sania Mirza (IND) v Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) v Qualifier
(4)Na Li (CHN) v BYE

(6)Victoria Azarenka (BLR) v Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
Qualifier v Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP)
Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) v Qualifier
(2)Vera Zvonareva (RUS) v BYE

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 19th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I think it was WC Fields who posted recently about this good start too season, I must agree especially after todays match and reaching the finals, this has been Carolines best start too the season since ever.

All the gloom about changing her racket, #1 without a slam, the pressure leading to a slump and she needs to change her game, has dissapeared from the Caroline Wozniacki forum. They havn't been mentioned in a while now.
And why, my theory is that not only has either she managed these things or is in the process and its working so far.

So much so, she has had the best to the season ever.

Crockett
Feb 19th, 2011, 08:45 PM
And tommorrow Kuznetsova, that I am looking forward too, I would say that Caroline has a good chance but to be on the safe side I will say its 50 50 we will see ;)
I would easily take those odds. So would the market: Caroline is 1.42 to win tomorrow.

DownInAHole
Feb 19th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I think it was WC Fields who posted recently about this good start too season, I must agree especially after todays match and reaching the finals, this has been Carolines best start too the season since ever.

All the gloom about changing her racket, #1 without a slam, the pressure leading to a slump and she needs to change her game, has dissapeared from the Caroline Wozniacki forum. They havn't been mentioned in a while now.
And why, my theory is that not only has either she managed these things or is in the process and its working so far.

The season certainly did not look like it was going to start out well. First there was the spanking that Caroline received in that exhibition against Vera and then the early exit against Cibulkova in Sydney. Thankfully she seems to have turned thing around and had some very nice results. That loss against Na Li still stings a little but for a player that had never been to the quarters in Australia to make the semi-final is a great improvement.

Burisleif
Feb 19th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Iam happy for Caroline that she won and in such away, to fight her way back into the match like that and not let the EUs in the first 4-5 games put her off and go back to that passiv mode as she has done in the past.

Personally I thought Caroline came out looking helpless up too 4-1 JJ was all over her as she could do nothing right, so it was very hard to watch. But then the fighter CW turned up after the trainer throat thing (what was that about?)and then it all got a lot better.

Don't forget last year Caro was making a habit of going 0-3 down too. I was a great game too watch, and the result met my gut feeling about the result so I'm happy indeed.. :)

I'm hoping that she starts to click fully and peak just in time for the French open and Wimbledon and not to early... If she can keep winning in pre peak form mode then That's a bonus.

Looking forward to this one, and what ever the result it should be a good match. I'm quietly confident Caro should prevail :)

terjw
Feb 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
And next week Doha, if they don't start having unrest there as well, the Bahrain car race stuff has been cancelled because of it.

I think that with the field as it is Caroline has a chance to get further in this tournament too.

1)Caroline Wozniacki (DEN) v BYE
Nadia Petrova (RUS) v Roberta Vinci (ITA)
Flavia Pennetta (ITA) v Jie Zheng (CHN)

(3)Francesca Schiavone (ITA) v BYE
Kaia Kanepi (EST) v Qualifier
Alisa Kleybanova (RUS) v Marion Bartoli (FRA)
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) v (8)Shahar Peer (ISR)

(5)Jelena Jankovic (SRB) v (wc)Fatma Al Nabhani (OMA)
(wc)Sania Mirza (IND) v Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
Alexandra Dulgheru (ROU) v Qualifier
(4)Na Li (CHN) v BYE

(6)Victoria Azarenka (BLR) v Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)
Qualifier v Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez (ESP)
Dominika Cibulkova (SVK) v Qualifier
(2)Vera Zvonareva (RUS) v BYE

Just seen this. Could be another Sveta vs Fran marathon with Caro playing the winner again.

Spiritof42
Feb 20th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Well done on reaching the final. Missed all her matches this week, but I'm glad she finally managed to get a win over Jankovic, and in straight sets to boot. :yeah:

stangtennis
Feb 20th, 2011, 02:00 AM
I think it was WC Fields who posted recently about this good start too season
W. C. Fields (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.C._Fields) died in 1946, so I think you have to swap the first two initials so it was C. W. Fields (http://www.tennisforum.com/member.php?u=54658) (short for Caroline Wozniacki Fields I guess) ;)

DownInAHole
Feb 20th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Maybe this isn't worth noting but did you guys notice that in Caroline's matches against Peer and Jankovic the chair umpire handed her a patch to stick on her shirt? I'm not 100% sure but I think in both matches one or two points were played (it may have been in the warmup) and then she was handed the patch and stuck it on.

Against Peer it was a black WTA patch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09an8VBbQP4Zl/x610.jpg

Against Jankovic it was this white WTA patch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aQIcXegrB9JK/x610.jpg

In this picture from the Morita match there was no patch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01XX4dd5UB1Tx/x610.jpg

This is obviously very trivial but I thought it was odd and I wanted to mention it before the final. Will she be given another patch early in the final? And if so what colour will it be? I don't know about you but I am on pins and needles!

GAWOZFAN
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:57 AM

Does anyone think/know if her better play can be attributed to her going back to her old Babolat strings? If I recall correctly, she went back to them after her first round loss to Cibulkova in Sydney. Since then, she is 9-1. Whatever the reason, keep it going!

Jean-Henri
Feb 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Maybe this isn't worth noting but did you guys notice that in Caroline's matches against Peer and Jankovic the chair umpire handed her a patch to stick on her shirt? I'm not 100% sure but I think in both matches one or two points were played (it may have been in the warmup) and then she was handed the patch and stuck it on.

This is obviously very trivial but I thought it was odd and I wanted to mention it before the final. Will she be given another patch early in the final? And if so what colour will it be? I don't know about you but I am on pins and needles!

Product placement ?
If so, the WTA really knows how to pick a spot for best exposure side by side with "e" (e-boks).

terjw
Feb 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
Here is a list of active players with the most career titles:

Venus - 43
Kim - 41
Serena - 37
Masha - 22
Sveta - 13
Caro - 12
but she is tied with others.If Caro wins this final - she will be tied with Sveta at #5 in the list.
If Sveta wins - she will pull out a lead of 14 titles to Caro's 12.

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
BOMBSHELL!!11 Wozniacki is also no.1 under the ATP Ranking system
(http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=429495)

She is always been accused of playing too many tournaments, so when I read this thread title on GM, I thought she was now being accused of moonlighting on ATP as well. :devil:

Burisleif
Feb 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM
BOMBSHELL!!11 Wozniacki is also no.1 under the ATP Ranking system
(http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=429495)

She is always been accused of playing too many tournaments, so when I read this thread title on GM, I thought she was now being accused of moonlighting on ATP as well. :devil:

:lol: It would be quite interesting to know what the rankings were if the players only got the full allotted points if they win they tournament, and say 1 point for every game one. Quite a few top 10 players might find themselves far down the rankings... :devil:

TennisFan66
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Granted, should have been 1 and 2, but we'll survive with 1 and 3 :) That was just total tennis; dominating with immense pressure from the very first point. F-word well done, Caro :kiss::worship:

terjw
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:16 PM
13th title and tied with Sveta :worship: and totally dominated Sveta in the match. Out of the active players - only Venus, Kim, Serena and Masha have won more titles than Caro. :hearts:

jasminefu623
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Well done caro!! this is the only match i am able to watch live for this year, and she play great!!!!! congrat on the 13th title!!

WozLolz
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Amazing play from the Tier 1 queen and soon-to-be grand slam queen. She hit some ferocious backhands! :hearts: Well done, Caroline! :worship:

Man, if she learns to flatten that forehand on occasion and can terminate points on that side, she could be unstoppable! I hope she gets to play "the big 3" more often. Playing as she did today, she could beat anyone. Hopefully, there will be ample opportunity in the coming months. :D

Derek.
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Fantastic stuff, Caro! :banana:

GAWOZFAN
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Outstanding job girl. Lucky number 13.

Would have loved it even more with a serve out for the championship, but what is there really to complain about today. Svetlana wins just one (1) of her service games all match!

DownInAHole
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I think that it's a very encouraging sign that Caroline was tweaking her game and trying some new things for pretty much the whole tournament and she was still able to win it.

TennisFan66
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Going into Doha next week, how far does Caro have to go to improve on her WTA points tally? Anyone has an idea?

Protoss
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Going into Doha next week, how far does Caro have to go to improve on her WTA points tally? Anyone has an idea?
Her 16th best result in 125 points so Caro needs to reach the semis (200 points) to gain ranking points.

The Ranking Breakdown thread gives this sort of info. :)

Protoss
Feb 20th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Caro started off slowly in these big finals losing her 1st 3, now she's won 4 in about 6 months. :)

JadeFox
Feb 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Title number 13! Yay!:bounce:

C. W. Fields
Feb 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Caro breaks another barrier; the 9000 points barrier. Tomorrow Caro has 9430 points!

ezone
Feb 20th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Looking back, the fact Woz was down in the second set when Anna retired had nothing to do with anything. What a waste of time for those who wanted to make a statement about that.

TennisFan66
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Her 16th best result in 125 points so Caro needs to reach the semis (200 points) to gain ranking points.

The Ranking Breakdown thread gives this sort of info. :)

Thank you Protoss, I'll look there for a future reference. :yeah:

CWTennis
Feb 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Congrats to Caro and her fans! :bounce: She was great today! :worship:
:D
From press conference

Q. Do you think itís unfair when people criticize you or when people talk your game and they say, She gets lots of balls back, but she hasnít got a big weapon? Youíve got to No. 1 in the world. Do you think thatís unfair when you hear people say that?

CAROLINE WOZNIACKI: Um, well, if I donít have a weapon, then what do the others have? Since Iím No. 1, I must do something right. I think thereíre not actually criticizing me. I think the other players should be offended.

Carofan
Feb 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Great stuff - congrats Caro!

Protoss
Feb 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Thank you Protoss, I'll look there for a future reference. :yeah:
I goofed. Caro's 16th best result was 125 points going into Dubai, but now that result has been bumped out. :) Caro's new 16th best result is 200 points so she'd have to reach the final (300 points, a semi being 200 points) in order to gain rankings points.

TennisFan66
Feb 20th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I goofed. Caro's 16th best result was 125 points going into Dubai, but now that result has been bumped out. :) Caro's new 16th best result is 200 points so she'd have to reach the final (300 points, a semi being 200 points) in order to gain rankings points.

*nods* I thought of figured after looking in the thread. The Cincy 125 will be bumped out by the new 900 from Dubai; leaving the 200 from Charleston the lowest optional. Tough order to have to reach a final in a Premier event to improve your ranking points :) Them 80 from Madrid .. fingers crossed they will be significantly improved come clay season.

stangtennis
Feb 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM

Against Peer it was a black WTA patch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09an8VBbQP4Zl/x610.jpg

Against Jankovic it was this white WTA patch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aQIcXegrB9JK/x610.jpg

In this picture from the Morita match there was no patch:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01XX4dd5UB1Tx/x610.jpg

Usually Caro has the mandatory WTA logo printed on her Stella McCartney outfits at the opposite side of the also printed on e-Boks logo. I don't know why there's no WTA logo printed directly on her new orange tops. That's probably why Caro forgot to put on the logo, because she's now used to it already being printed on. If the umpire notices a player without the logo he has to tell them and hand out a sticky logo to them. I have often seen players getting a logo from the umpire before a match, but Caro is not used to it anymore since she started wearing Stella outfits with printed on logos.

DownInAHole
Feb 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Usually Caro has the mandatory WTA logo printed on her Stella McCartney outfits at the opposite side of the also printed on e-Boks logo. I don't know why there's no WTA logo printed directly on her new orange tops. That's probably why Caro forgot to put on the logo, because she's now used to it already being printed on. If the umpire notices a player without the logo he has to tell them and hand out a sticky logo to them. I have often seen players getting a logo from the umpire before a match, but Caro is not used to it anymore since she started wearing Stella outfits with printed on logos.

Ah, ha! The mystery is solved! Thanks. You Danes are always full of interesting info.:yeah:

JadeFox
Feb 20th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Alright after a few hours I have to say this: what I liked most about the way Caroline played is the depth of her shots. She was able to keep Sveta ten feet behind the baseline, giving her no chance to hit any easy winners.

I hope she keeps that up. If she does then she can definitely win a major.

angliru
Feb 20th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I had not expected Caro to win this tournament, but I'm glad I was wrong! Her game has become better day by day, and she took the title without losing ay sets. Well done!

There was some talk about other ranking systems in the thread, and I can add, that Caro would also lead the rankings if they were based on the old WTA system with quality points (a win against a higher ranked opponent gives more points than against a lower ranked opponent).

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Forget the 900 points, forget the coffee pot, forget #13, forget the #1, it was just a pleasure to see Caroline out there today playing the way she played.

Not only did she keep Kuznetsova back with her long balls, attacked, retrieved, moved her from side to side, changed pace, returned K's hard strokes just as hard, volleyed, varied her serve ETC ETC, but she did it with a aura of confidence, which made me feel half way through a brilliant 1st set, that it was just a matter of time before she won. She kept Kunetsova from playing well and didn't just wait for the EUs to come.

I could really see that she wants too change her game, and that the change has already started. Maybe almost as much mentally as Tennis Technically.

Given all the positive word flow from me, there is still much that could be tightened up and worked on.
1 thing that comes to mind, this mind you is my second guessing, but the attitude to her opponent.
Against JJ she seemed almost afraid to play freely hesitant (0-4 H2H?), against K it was all systems go from the beginning (3-2 H2H?) it would be a big plus if she could say fuck it and just go whoever stands on the other side of the net.
I know its much easier said than done, and I know its easy to be an armchair trainer, but it would be a big plus. If you cannot, for some reason or other, play as well as you are able in the given situation its a handicap ( as in horse racing handicap)

Without thinking that from now on Caroline will never loose again ;), I am looking positively forward to next week in Doha.

backhandsmash
Feb 20th, 2011, 11:52 PM
The 0-4 H2H was a factor against JJ. She was not in the least convinced she would take that one, but maybe that made her go "fuck it, I'm going all out for this".

kimgurl
Feb 21st, 2011, 12:05 AM
great..im happy for caro and her avid fans..she deserves to win the title..

C. W. Fields
Feb 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM
So, Dubai is over and on to Doha. This week Caro'll now face the same challenge as Kvitova and Hantuchova last week; trying to win back-to-back tournaments. PK and DH both failed as we know, losing their first Dubai match. But Caro has several advantages compared to those two.
1) She had a pretty easy first tournament with all straight sets wins.
2) The others were jetlagged after long flights. Caro only has a short trip.
3) Caro has 1R bye. She probably won't play her first match until Wednesday and 'only' needs to win four matches to win the tournament.
4) Caro is simply a more consistently high-level player. There's noone in this tournament she can't beat if she plays near her best.

The optimal tournament for Caro (in my eyes) would be: 2R Vinci, QF Zheng, SF Bartoli, Final Li. Not too likely, I admit, but the last 3 matches would give her a chance to even some scores and one can always dream! I'm hoping for Vinci rather than Petrova in the first match because Caro has never played her before and it's always interesting with a new matchup. And while Caro usually beats Petrova their matches are rarely that entertaining because of the Russian's inconsistency.

Burisleif
Feb 21st, 2011, 03:17 PM
Against JJ she seemed almost afraid to play freely hesitant (0-4 H2H?), against K it was all systems go from the beginning (3-2 H2H?) it would be a big plus if she could say fuck it and just go whoever stands on the other side of the net.

The 0-4 H2H was a factor against JJ. She was not in the least convinced she would take that one, but maybe that made her go "fuck it, I'm going all out for this".

I'm sure it could have played a part, but I got the impression it had more to do with the opponents playing style, and Caro's confidence it her shot range and accuracy.

In Caroline's own words
"Depends on the opponent as well and how I feel. If I don't feel like I'm hitting the ball great, of course I'll keep it more in the court and play more safe."

She usually has a tendency to go into safe mode when feeling comfortable as well, which we saw in set two verses Sveta, however, she thankfully realised that was happening, and stopped letting Sveta regroup and get back into the game in good time.

I wouldn't really favour Caro taking every match in (to quote FKA) "fuck It" mode tbh, because I think one of her great strengths is her ability to read how much effort she needs to give. Heavy hitting takes its toll physically, and I really don't want to see her picking up stress injuries like so many other players have. I would be very happy if she was just a little less hesitant and faster to respond to situations of danger.

At the end of the day, Caro's greatest strength imho, is her court smarts, and it shows that with every tournament so far, she has been gaining in experience. With all Caro's game improvements, and her increasing experience, and as she becomes more comfortable with her new tools, I can only see her growing in confidence and becoming a more dangerous and wiser player with time. :)

C. W. Fields
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:03 PM
As a member of the WTA Club I've receved an invitation to a talk show/press conference with Caro at Hotel Crowne Plaza in Copenhagen next Tuesday (March 1). It's in connection with the E-boks Sony Ericsson Open tournament later in the year. I can't go there myself but if any Copenhagen residing fan in here should be interested I can get you a free ticket.
I've attached the invitation but ignore what it says about accepting no later than February 14. You have until February 24.

Burisleif
Feb 21st, 2011, 04:54 PM
As a member of the WTA Club I've receved an invitation to a talk show/press conference with Caro at Hotel Crowne Plaza in Copenhagen next Tuesday (March 1). It's in connection with the E-boks Sony Ericsson Open tournament later in the year. I can't go there myself but if any Copenhagen residing fan in here should be interested I can get you a free ticket.
I've attached the invitation but ignore what it says about accepting no later than February 14. You have until February 24.

That's a super generous offer CW, I hope somebody takes you up on this... :)

TennisFan66
Feb 21st, 2011, 05:03 PM

Sounds totally fab. Whomever goes just HAS to take pics and give us a good summary :)

Protoss
Feb 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
Caro plays Petrova on wednesday.

backhandsmash
Feb 21st, 2011, 08:02 PM
If she reaches the final, she could potentially bump into 3 russians this tournament. Petrova, Kuznetsova and Zvonareva.

Here is hoping she improves on her already impressive record against them this week.

TennisFan66
Feb 21st, 2011, 08:48 PM
Caro plays Petrova on wednesday.

Saw a little of Nadia's match. Hit and miss as she usually is. So Petrova Weds, then maybe QF Safarova/Penetta Thurs; SF Schiavone Fri and F Bepa Sat and W Sat? :)

Good luck, Caro baby.

stangtennis
Feb 21st, 2011, 10:52 PM
As a member of the WTA Club...
What's the WTA Club? Never heard of it.

C. W. Fields
Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:37 AM
What's the WTA Club? Never heard of it.

http://e-bokssonyericssonopen.dk/wta-klubben.aspx

I just rewatched the Caro-JJ match. The stats for set 1 are odd with JJ having better stats in all the categories we usually valuate highly; she lands more 1st serves, has a better aces to DF ratio, has more winners and fewer UEs. But Caro still won the set!

C. W. Fields
Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
Caro is sick with flu like symptoms. According to Piotr there's a less than 50-50 she'll play Doha. :awww:
Now we know why she requested a MTO and gestured at her throat during the JJ match. Maybe tomorrow we'll see a repeat of her first match against Petrova where she was also sick, tried to play but had to retire.
http://spn.dk/andensport/tennis/article2347646.ece

CWTennis
Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Is that true? :sad:

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/265627049/Alf_Office_5_edited_normal.JPGalfsunde (http://twitter.com/#!/alfsunde)
@gegalli DOHA Caroline in (Hotel)bed with fever (throat), can't train today, will be checked by doctor tomorrow 2 c if can play. Chance<50%

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/265627049/Alf_Office_5_edited_normal.JPGalfsunde (http://twitter.com/#!/alfsunde)
@USATgolftennis refused antibiotics took vitamin c, sick since sunday, flu with fever, acc 2 Piotr prob stressed body/heavy travel related

CWTennis
Feb 22nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Caro is sick with flu like symptoms. According to Piotr there's a less than 50-50 she'll play Doha. :awww:
Now we know why she requested a MTO and gestured at her throat during the JJ match. Maybe tomorrow we'll see a repeat of her first match against Petrova where she was also sick, tried to play but had to retire.

:sad:

Get well soon Sunshine! :awww:

Protoss
Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:01 PM
Well that sucks. :( :sad:

So would Caro get a 0 pointer if she withdraws? Would a withdrawl affect her schedule as it was reported that she wouldn't have been to play Copenhagen last year if she withdrew her ankle injury?

stangtennis
Feb 22nd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Just to follow up on the story about the WTA/Sony Ericsson logos.
The Danish EuroSport commentator and Fed Cup Captain Michael Mortensen just said that Nike sponsored players never wear any logos on their outfits except for the Nike Swoosh, because Nike doesn't want any other logos on their outfits. So they pay WTA to avoid wearing the logos.
However Adidas sponsored player Daniela Hantuchova who's playing right now doesn't wear the WTA logo either. Don't know if she just forgot and can't recall if she never wears it.

Protoss
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Congrats Caro on winning your 1st title of the year!!! :)

It's quite a pleasant surprise to see Caro doing that well this early in the season. :)

It'll be interesting to see how many titles Caro wins this season. I'm guessing 2 to 3.

Caro got in 71% of her 1st serves in Dubai compared to 65% for the season prior to that.

Caro has now won titles in 7 countries. :)

I think my favorite part of the tournament was Caro finally beating Jankovic. :)

stangtennis
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
There was some talk about other ranking systems in the thread, and I can add, that Caro would also lead the rankings if they were based on the old WTA system with quality points (a win against a higher ranked opponent gives more points than against a lower ranked opponent).
Where's the calculations for the old point system? Has it been posted somehwere, I would like to see it.

jasminefu623
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
caro tweets again, maybe she is feeling better (i hope:))

angliru
Feb 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Where's the calculations for the old point system? Has it been posted somehwere, I would like to see it.

There are some sites, for instance:

http://everything2.com/title/WTA+Ranking+System (c. 2000)
http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/zola/206/rksys97.htm (c. 1997)

Using this system on today's tournament is difficult, becuse there are other tournaments, and they are rated differently (and the Tour Championship is also different today). There's no doubt however, that Wozniacki would still lead the rankings. The quality points ranking system was abandoned c. 2005 I think.

TennisFan66
Feb 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Well that sucks. :( :sad:

So would Caro get a 0 pointer if she withdraws? Would a withdrawl affect her schedule as it was reported that she wouldn't have been to play Copenhagen last year if she withdrew her ankle injury?

Yeah, good question Protoss. Without opening the can of worms, which is the WTA rules for Top 10 players:

Any Top 10 Player who fails to play in a Premier 5 or
Premier 700 Commitment Tournament will automatically
receive zero (0) points for the Tournament and it will count
on that player’s ranking as one (1) of her best 16

Further there is the issue about the 'optional' International tournament. With a sick-note, she should get excemption and allowed to play Sweden, but a zero for the ranking :( .. Better to just crawl on court and then retire at 0-0 1st set; 0-15 :)

DownInAHole
Feb 22nd, 2011, 06:26 PM
It's really too bad if Caroline is unable to compete this week. With the win in Dubai she was on a bit of a roll and surely she would have had some momentum going for her. Trying to be optimistic I guess this is a good time of the year for her to be sick, after Doha she will have a bit of time off and she should be in good shape for Indian Wells and Miami.

itzhak
Feb 22nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
from her twitter she seems OK and she send even happy pic of Liverpool shirt, sick woman doesn't look like that ...

DownInAHole
Feb 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM
from her twitter she seems OK and she send even happy pic of Liverpool shirt, sick woman doesn't look like that ...

I think the fact that she is tweeting so much is not a good sign. Usually when she is in a tournament her tweets are somewhat rare as she is busy playing and practicing. Of course I'm just speculating, we will have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Carofan
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:33 AM
Screw this 700.000$ tournament Caro, its not worth it. There is nothing to gain but tons of work to reach the final. Prepare for IW, the next big battle.

Carofan
Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:33 AM
She just confirmed on Twitter she plays today.

Jorn
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:39 AM
Her Twitter 10 minuts ago... in her bed...

Watching the Copenhagen - Chelsea match in my bed. Doesn't look good for the Danish team. 10 minutes ago via web

Jorn
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Get well soon Caro!

I can't see on Twitter she will play?

DownInAHole
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:57 AM
Get well soon Caro!

I can't see on Twitter she will play?

This is what she posted:

Playing tonight here in Doha against Petrova, scheduled 2nd after 5.30pm. so probably around 7.

backhandsmash
Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Anyone noticed her amount of followers shot up 1200-1500 in the last 1-2 days. Wonder what that's about.

DownInAHole
Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Anyone noticed her amount of followers shot up 1200-1500 in the last 1-2 days. Wonder what that's about.

Dubai is hardly a slam but maybe it is increased interest due to her win there? Eh, I don't know, that's probably not the reason.

Protoss
Feb 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM
Good draw for Caro if she's healthy.

Good luck Caro. :)

C. W. Fields
Feb 23rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
Next opponent is Pennetta. Caro has a chance to make another punchbag! Hopefully Caro'll be 100% for that match. Pennetta has been playing pretty well lately and she doesn't selfdestruct like certain Russians.

stangtennis
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:07 PM
Liverpool fans because she posted a picture of her wearing a signed Gerrard #8 shirt.
http://twitter.com/#!/CaroWozniacki/status/40141712718307328
The picture has been retweeted by 100+ people, most of them Liverpool fans.

backhandsmash
Feb 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Liverpool fans because she posted a picture of her wearing a signed Gerrard #8 shirt.

Yeah that must be it. And she's still increasing at a fair pace.

JadeFox
Feb 23rd, 2011, 06:40 PM

I just noticed that. I looked on Sunday it was at around 60,000+ followers. At this pace, she might hit a 100,000 sometime in March. :eek:

TennisFan66
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
Next opponent is Pennetta. Caro has a chance to make another punchbag! Hopefully Caro'll be 100% for that match. Pennetta has been playing pretty well lately and she doesn't selfdestruct like certain Russians.

Unfortunately they most often go into a 3rd set and with Caro being a bit under the weather, it could be too tight for comfort. Caro is 1.3 at b e t f a i r .. punters not giving Flavia many chances.

C. W. Fields
Feb 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Unfortunately they most often go into a 3rd set and with Caro being a bit under the weather, it could be too tight for comfort. Caro is 1.3 at b e t f a i r .. punters not giving Flavia many chances.

Let's hope Caro has grown enough to cut it short. Despite being a little ill I think Caro's confidence is soaring and players like Petrova and Pennetta fear her. Hopefully the mental pluses cancel out any physical minuses.
Piotr confirms my impression of Caro's physical conditon during the match; "You could see in the duels Caroline got tired quickly. She couldn't run as much as usual."
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1508548.ece

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
I was happy of course that Caroline was able to win even though she didn't look to well out there today.
From what I got out of the Danish press, it was she who wanted too and Piotr thought she shouldn't.

Anyway I am not entirely sure its a good thing, but then she's the one who has to take the decision.

Lets hope she wins the tournament and gets something out of it.

stangtennis
Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
I just noticed that. I looked on Sunday it was at around 60,000+ followers. At this pace, she might hit a 100,000 sometime in March. :eek:
You must mean 80,000+, not 60,000+.

I looked sometime last week at both Caro's and Clijster's accounts, and Clijsters had a few more followers, but now Caro has passed her with approx 1,300.

Dominika23
Feb 24th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Let's hope Caro has grown enough to cut it short. Despite being a little ill I think Caro's confidence is soaring and players like Petrova and Pennetta fear her. Hopefully the mental pluses cancel out any physical minuses.
Piotr confirms my impression of Caro's physical conditon during the match; "You could see in the duels Caroline got tired quickly. She couldn't run as much as usual."
http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/tennis/article1508548.ece

You aint never lair when you say they fear her Caro Got Pennetta Beat nine out of ten I just worry about Bartoli who playing great and Who give Caro a problem

C. W. Fields
Feb 24th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Have you thought about how completely Caro and Kim have been dominating the tournaments ranked P5 and above since Wimbledon last year?
Cincinatti, P5: Kim
Montreal, P5: Caro
US Open, GS: Kim
Tokyo, P5: Caro
Beijing, PM: Caro
Doha, YEC: Kim
Australian Open, GS: Kim
Dubai, P5: Caro

That's 8 tournaments in a row! Now we have two PMs coming up in Indian Wells and Miami. Last year Caro was finalist in the first and Kim won the other, so it's not impossible the trend will continue to 10 tournaments!

Crockett
Feb 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Have you thought about how completely Caro and Kim have been dominating the tournaments ranked P5 and above since Wimbledon last year?
Cincinatti, P5: Kim
Montreal, P5: Caro
US Open, GS: Kim
Tokyo, P5: Caro
Beijing, PM: Caro
Doha, YEC: Kim
Australian Open, GS: Kim
Dubai, P5: Caro
Indeed. It is also striking that Montreal is the only one of these where Kim Clijsters participated without winning the tournament.

C. W. Fields
Feb 24th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Piotr is in the stands for the Bartoli-Peng match, gathering information.

backhandsmash
Feb 24th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Must be a bit scary watching how Bartoli plays right now.

WozLolz
Feb 24th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Caroline Wozniacki

Got so many comments about the Liverpool jersey and to step out on court with it.. So why not;) 5.30pm Doha time. 3.30 European time:) haha

Will she do it? :hearts:

angliru
Feb 24th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Sofia Arvidsson's blog (http://answermyquestionjerk.se/sofia/) today (I like it!):

I really like Caroline Wozniacki's reply to a journalist on the question if it's unfair that she's a world no. 1 without any weapons:
- No weapons, what do the other ones have then...?

backhandsmash
Feb 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Will she do it? :hearts:

Yes she did wear it! Awesome!

stangtennis
Feb 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Caro is wearing the Gerrard #8 Liverpool shirt right now walking during warm up.
It's 2-3 sizes too big. The sleeves goes well below her elbows.
Good thing Liverpool is sponsored by Adidas too. Adidas might not have been too pleased if she warmed up in a Nike jersey.
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1231655927/22a5b0aa4b2e_normal.jpg CaroWozniacki (http://twitter.com/#!/CaroWozniacki) Caroline Wozniacki
Got so many comments about the Liverpool jersey and to step out on court with it.. So why not;) 5.30pm Doha time. 3.30 European time:) haha
1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#!/CaroWozniacki/status/40755469303824384)

Chrissie-fan
Feb 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Caro was in jaw dropping form today. Just amazing.:worship:

TennisFan66
Feb 24th, 2011, 04:41 PM
If anyone comes across a download from todays match Vs Pennetta, would you mind giving a heads up pls? .. Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch; only follow score update.

backhandsmash
Feb 24th, 2011, 05:15 PM
From WTA site about Bartoli:

"I'm sure she played a great match against Shahar," Wozniacki said. "I didn't see the match so it's difficult for me to say, but to be the No.1 player in the world you need to play like that every match. That's why there's only one."

GM gonna be mad. :lol:

C. W. Fields
Feb 24th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Eurosport seems to be replaying all the QFs from 00:45 tonight! :)

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 24th, 2011, 05:44 PM
When she was down 0-2 at the beginning, and didn't look very well or energetic, I thought oh shit why did she even play here.

But then she showed me why, 12 games in a row, AND THOSE STATS, and it was not like it was a walk over, Pennetta had nearly as many winners as Caroline.

Caroline just played so well, never gave up on a game, those 2 12- 13 mins games were superb, hit some pretty decent forhand winners etc etc

It must be official now, her game is changing. Still keeps the solid defence, chooses when she will go for the winners but is defenitly more agressive now.

I hope she puts up a just as good showing against Bartoli tommorrow.

She is such a big fan of Liverpool and she always gets signed shirts, what really went on in that dressing room???

DownInAHole
Feb 24th, 2011, 07:02 PM
When she was down 0-2 at the beginning, and didn't look very well or energetic, I thought oh shit why did she even play here.

But then she showed me why, 12 games in a row, AND THOSE STATS, and it was not like it was a walk over, Pennetta had nearly as many winners as Caroline.

Caroline just played so well, never gave up on a game, those 2 12- 13 mins games were superb, hit some pretty decent forhand winners etc etc

It must be official now, her game is changing. Still keeps the solid defence, chooses when she will go for the winners but is defenitly more agressive now.

I hope she puts up a just as good showing against Bartoli tommorrow.

She is such a big fan of Liverpool and she always gets signed shirts, what really went on in that dressing room???

I agree, to a point. I think it is great to see Caroline playing aggressively but I hope that she can play like that on the bigger stages facing better opponents. It's easy to play aggressively in Doha against a player like Pennetta, it may not be so easy in a slam situation against one of her nemesis' (Na Li, Clijsters, an on fire Kvitova). Let's see how the "new" Caroline does tomorrow against Bartoli, a player who is also currently playing at a high level.

backhandsmash
Feb 24th, 2011, 07:05 PM
She just tweeted about her new blog a minute ago:

http://www.carolinewozniacki.dk/?p=1947

stangtennis
Feb 24th, 2011, 11:38 PM
They made a topic about Caro at this Liverpool FC forum today:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=271507.msg8259425#msg8259425

And an older one here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=269768.msg8055414#msg8055414

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 25th, 2011, 01:15 AM
They made a topic about Caro at this Liverpool FC forum today:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=271507.msg8259425#msg8259425

And an older one here:
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=269768.msg8055414#msg8055414

Quote from their board, football players are so subtle in their praise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hazell
RAWK Supporter
Legend

Rafanista!

Re: Caroline Wozniacki - The Best Tennis player in the land...
ę Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 07:56:43 PM ĽShe really needs to win a Grand Slam. Logged

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cruiser
Legend

Re: Caroline Wozniacki - The Best Tennis player in the land...
ę Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 08:11:22 PM ĽI'd be happy to give her a Grand Slam.

Protoss
Feb 25th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Odd stat from the match against Flavia: Caro won 0/8 points on her 2nd sets. For a straight sets victory like Caro had that seems really weird.

C. W. Fields
Feb 25th, 2011, 08:47 AM
I think today's match will be about Caro preventing Bartoli from stepping into the court and fire off her two-handed ws. If Caro plays like yesterday and hits ws left and right herself that would of course be super. But if her play is more 'normal' today it'll be about depth. Deep serves, deep ROSs, deep groundstrokes. And if Caro could maintain a high 1st serve percentage again that would be great because MB is very good at punishing short 2nd serves.
If Caro plays her best tennis she'll beat the inconsistent Frenchie. And since her two BFFs, Aga and Vika, pretty much own Bartoli (6-0 both) it'd be odd if Caro can't beat her as well.

Carofan
Feb 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I thought this was interesting to know as a fan, thats why its not in the articles and interviews section. So next time GM is trolling something from the crazy Polish media, you know better.

While many Danes have the impression that Caroline Wozniacki not have time for much other than training, the reality is quite different. This reveals her father and coach, Piotr Wozniacki.

"Mentally it's important that she have her recesses with her friends. Sometimes she invites them to tournaments, and last week Malou Ejdesgaard came to visit in Dubai. It is important to keep a good contact,"says Piotr Wozniacki to Ekstra Bladet, and reveals that the rules have been a little looser with time.

"Today she always lives for herself. Some nights we are out together, other times she goes alone. And it may well be past midnight if it is cozy. That should she be allowed. She is young and wants to get away from the hotel, he continues.

She is an adult
The whole father-daughter relationship is build on trust, and it works according to Piotr Wozniacki really well.

"It's always a balance, but we know each other so well. Now Caroline is an adult and has her own life. When she has time off from matches and training, she has time for herself, says Piotr.

http://sporten.tv2.dk/tennis/article.php/id-37674466:s%C3%A5dan-klarer-wozniacki-hverdagen.html

That should she be allowed. So she is not completely on her own after all? lol I think I was 14 when my parents stopped telling me when to be in bed, how about you guys? lol

Being a sports star is different of course. Wish I had a dad who would support me rather than watch sports all the time after his 60+ hours a week in his store. Maybe I could have been Frederik Fetterlein lol

backhandsmash
Feb 25th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Eurosport 2 is replaying the Woz-Pennetta match now if anyone's interested. They are still in THAT 4th game in the first set.

ezone
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I think today's match will be about Caro preventing Bartoli from stepping into the court and fire off her two-handed ws. If Caro plays like yesterday and hits ws left and right herself that would of course be super. But if her play is more 'normal' today it'll be about depth. Deep serves, deep ROSs, deep groundstrokes. And if Caro could maintain a high 1st serve percentage again that would be great because MB is very good at punishing short 2nd serves.
If Caro plays her best tennis she'll beat the inconsistent Frenchie. And since her two BFFs, Aga and Vika, pretty much own Bartoli (6-0 both) it'd be odd if Caro can't beat her as well.

You made some good points, but I think you left out one very important factor. Watching Bartoli--do you think she's in the best shape possible ? From watching the match she stopped moving her feet early in the second set. Bartoli needs to get herself in much better shape before she can challenge the top players.

DownInAHole
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I think the biggest difference for Caroline is that she is really capitalising on her break chances. Obviously that can make things much easier.

kapociak
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Final match is on Saturday or Sunday?

Protoss
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM
It's saturday. I'm not sure why it's set up that way.

TennisFan66
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:49 PM

Tomorrow Saturday.

I watched the Pennetta match on ES earlier today. Some good stuff, but must say the score line really did flatter Caro :) .. Still, she fought for every point and thats why we love her .. :worship:

Great stuff Vs Marion too! ... Not so easy to read now, Marion? :lol: ... On another note, Caro apparently replied 'hahaha' on twitter to a snippy twitter bitching from Serena Williams against Justine Henin. I hope Piotr gives her a good telling off, coz thats classless imho.

Jankovic or Bepa? .. Let them play a gruelling 3 hour match, so the winner will be nice and soft for Caro in the final :devil:

Burisleif
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:55 PM
On another note, Caro apparently replied 'hahaha' on twitter to a snippy twitter bitching from Serena Williams against Justine Henin. I hope Piotr gives her a good telling off, coz thats classless imho. :

Hardly... Are we sure that the Hahaha wasn't in reply to Serenas tweet about not having a boot anymore? Caro's tweets was after both IIRC... ;)

DownInAHole
Feb 25th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Tomorrow Saturday.

I watched the Pennetta match on ES earlier today. Some good stuff, but must say the score line really did flatter Caro :) .. Still, she fought for every point and thats why we love her .. :worship:

Great stuff Vs Marion too! ... Not so easy to read now, Marion? :lol: ... On another note, Caro apparently replied 'hahaha' on twitter to a snippy twitter bitching from Serena Williams against Justine Henin. I hope Piotr gives her a good telling off, coz thats classless imho.

Jankovic or Bepa? .. Let them play a gruelling 3 hour match, so the winner will be nice and soft for Caro in the final :devil:

What exactly did Marion say?

I kind of agree with you about the tweet to Serena. That seems a bit like junior high behaviour.

stangtennis
Feb 25th, 2011, 04:51 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1145457678/Me_voestalpine_Mug_SM_normal.jpg Kfish_WTA (http://twitter.com/#!/Kfish_WTA) Kevin Fischer
Since start of 2009, Wozniacki has reached twice as many @WTA (http://twitter.com/WTA) finals (18, incl. Doha) than any other player (Venus & Clijsters, 9 each)
1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#!/Kfish_WTA/status/41175684554567680)

backhandsmash
Feb 25th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Hardly... Are we sure that the Hahaha wasn't in reply to Serenas tweet about not having a boot anymore? Caro's tweets was after both IIRC... ;)

It was before the "boot" tweet, and not long after the "henin" tweet. Plus she deleted it fairly quickly after.

Burisleif
Feb 25th, 2011, 05:37 PM
It was before the "boot" tweet, and not long after the "henin" tweet. Plus she deleted it fairly quickly after.

Ahh ok, so was it a Danish hahaha or an English hahaha? either way I'm still not sure I see the problem.

Protoss
Feb 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Caro plays Zvonareva tomorrow.

C. W. Fields
Feb 25th, 2011, 05:53 PM
One factor in today's match I don't think anyone else has mentioned is Caro's 2nd serves. They were pretty good and deep today. Before the match I was a bit worried about the Bartoli habit of stepping inside the baseline on 2nd serve ready to kill it hard and fast. But in this match I don't think she hit more than 2 or 3 straight ROS winners and Caro ended up winning just over half the points on 2nd serve. If Caro continues hitting deep 2nd serves it's an important step towards being a complete player, especially coupled with the fact she hasn't committed a single DF in this tournament!

It's Vera in the final tomorrow. Caro is a clear favorite in my mind with her recent play as well as her winning their last 2 matches. Also, Vera has been on court for more than 5 hours the last two days (Caro less than half that) which must have a certain effect.

DownInAHole
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Ahh ok, so was it a Danish hahaha or an English hahaha? either way I'm still not sure I see the problem.

I wouldn't say it was a problem but it didn't seem very nice. The tweet was deleted so that leads me to believe that Caroline had second thoughts about it.

GAWOZFAN
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Just got done watching Caro's match a few hours behind real time. As the on court interviewer so nice put, nice job "dismantling" Bartoli :) I would have to agree.

Looking forward to another final Saturday. Good luck Caroline!!!

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Another well played and enjoyable to watch match played by Caroline.

I think my favorite shot by Caroline was the running outside in winner she got at 6-1 5-1, 15-30 down in Bartoli's serve.
Instead of just letting it go and waiting to serve the match home herself, she went all out to finish it asap.
I like this new determination to take control, lets hope it will continue.
Of course it will depend on who she faces etc etc, but this is by far her best "start to the season" and seams to be a continence of the autumn, with a lot of new stuff that she maybe has worked on in the off season and is continuing with in training.

I am amazed at the amount of forhand winners she is getting. It's not the liability it was. The same with the net approaches.

It all looks like work in progress, nothing is perfect but she is using it all with confidence.

I am looking forward to watching the final tomorrow, i think she has good chance at winning the title.

H2H 2009 1-1 2010 3-2 to Caroline, the last 2 Carolines at Bejing F and YEC SF. So could be interesting.

The shot is at 1:14, keep watching the slomo is really good!!!Especially at 1:33.

x-uinzKo8hw

CloudAtlas
Feb 26th, 2011, 01:05 AM
This would be a perfect prep for Caro for Indian Wells , if she wins tomorrow. The confidence she'll get will no doubt be a huge factor in her matches. Make it 5-3 against Vera Caro!

sunsfuns
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:33 AM
It's saturday. I'm not sure why it's set up that way.

Because in Muslim countries the weekend is Friday + Saturday

bruce goose
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:25 AM
WOW!!If my getting banned for a week can somehow inspire Caro:angel: to play great,then I'll make sure to get extra nasty before RG this year:devil:.

Seriously,this thread is slightly dull sometimes but there are plenty of other places to find entertainment so that's no big deal.More importantly,we have some true devoted tennis nerds here(and I mean that as a compliment),people who appreciate the finer aspects of the sport...fans who follow AND understand the excellence of greats who've played the game---and enjoy watching Caro,too...and we can add the folks here to some of the top names in the sport,both retired and active,who respect Caroline.Such testimonies fully negate the whining of self-proclaimed tennis experts who pretend to have principled reasons for hating Caro and her style of play(though,to be fair,there are some intelligent fans whose lack of affinity for Caro is mild in temperament,without excessive hostility).In the end,such sad individuals are no more credible than a bratty 3-year-old who stands there calling perceived enemies 'poopoo heads': Their opinions carry no weight nor do they merit any respect in the world of adult,logical reasoning.

What I love most about on-court Caro is her poise @ wisdom;those are traits that champions across the sporting realm possess and are worthy of respect irrespective of other factors.There are a few athletes whom I don't like as people yet have earned my admiration by showing such championship caliber,and I picture Caro reaching that point someday...where even non-fans freely admit that they admire her.............and there's one more thing:When I listened to the brief post-match interviews in Dubai,Caroline was the only one for whom I heard audible applause when her interviews were over....The WTA webpage must have piped in pre-recorded cheering since we know that tennis fans worldwide hate Caro:haha::haha:

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:48 AM
WOW!!If my getting banned for a week can somehow inspire Caro:angel: to play great,then I'll make sure to get extra nasty before RG this year:devil:.

I was wondering where you had been. Mystery solved!

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I've decided on a new private nickname for Caro when she's as scary good as she's been recently; Scaro!

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Clever.:yeah:

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I was wondering where you had been. Mystery solved!

Same here, I even had a wonder around the place to see if you were hanging out in the kitchen... I didn't notice any caro haters taking a forced holiday... what happened?

Seriously,this thread is slightly dull sometimes but there are plenty of other places to find entertainment so that's no big deal.More importantly,we have some true devoted tennis nerds here(and I mean that as a compliment),people who appreciate the finer aspects of the sport...

I always figured this to be her general tennis thread... for talking about her tennis development, progress and play...

I don't see any harm in creating a Caro and Caro Fan general and off court chat thread...? there are some interesting discussions, such as that ezone and swiss are having in the Picture thread? "On the Concept of Irony with Continual Reference to Caroline"

While we are at it, how about a "The unbearable lightness of being a Caro hater" thread, :devil:

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM
I've decided on a new private nickname for Caro when she's as scary good as she's been recently; Scaro!

:) That goes well with the reaction I saw to your avatar :)

Crockett
Feb 26th, 2011, 01:25 PM
If my getting banned for a week
Welcome back!

terjw
Feb 26th, 2011, 01:26 PM

So you've now invented two words - Scaro and Carrors.:lol:

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 01:31 PM

C.W. is making me feel inadequate. ;)

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Yes, I'm sure it'll earn me loads of respect in GM! :rolleyes:

C.W. is making me feel inadequate. ;)

Sorry, I just have that effect on people. :angel:

bruce goose
Feb 26th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Well,I don't feel guilty for 'jinxing' Caro(I don't believe in that crap,anyway)cuz she reached #1 and even flourished a bit more after I joined up here....will wait for match analysis from those of you who could watch it but,superficially speaking,this has been a solid two-week run for Caroline.Nowadays,Li'l Bepa is a tough opponent to face in finals and she's usually in fairly decent form whenever she's reached one.Another plus is that there's no real risk of a psychological blow,IMO,cuz Caro already has 4 victories in the H2H

TennisFan66
Feb 26th, 2011, 04:55 PM
That sucked a bit, but seriously, you gotta learn to master windy conditions and Vera did that much better than Caro. How many times was Caro's CC FH taken wide when she played into the wind? Answer: Many times. Ah well, at least it was 'only' a Premier 700 but the extra 150 would have been nice.

I guess the local guys will now be waiting for next stinker of an article in BT Sporten. Thomas Idskov with a lot of Peter Bastiansen quotes about how poor and useless Caro is :tape:

bruce goose
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Same here, I even had a wonder around the place to see if you were hanging out in the kitchen... I didn't notice any caro haters taking a forced holiday... what happened?

I always figured this to be her general tennis thread... for talking about her tennis development, progress and play...

I don't see any harm in creating a Caro and Caro Fan general and off court chat thread...? there are some interesting discussions, such as that ezone and swiss are having in the Picture thread? "On the Concept of Irony with Continual Reference to Caroline"

While we are at it, how about a "The unbearable lightness of being a Caro hater" thread, :devil:Agree with your comments and suggestions in the latter portion above...as for the first part,let's not clutter Caro's thread by talking too much about people who are utterly forgettable.I'll give you an extra-brief explanation that the term 'mod integrity' is an obvious oxymoron at TF when the self-proclaimed leaders join the mob,so the practical solution for me is to avoid forums where infantile GroupThink is the norm;why add to the agitation by rocking the boat when the ship is already sinking?...if you catch my drift;)

@'Crockett' and 'Down I.T.H.',thanks for the welcome:wavey:

bruce goose
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:04 PM
That sucked a bit, but seriously, you gotta learn to master windy conditions and Vera did that much better than Caro.You answered many of my questions there;Li'l Bepa is a SUPERB 'Wind Player'....I even invented her nickname,'Queen of the Breezes',in another forum that shall go unnamed:angel:

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:05 PM
That sucked a bit, but seriously, you gotta learn to master windy conditions and Vera did that much better than Caro. How many times was Caro's CC FH taken wide when she played into the wind? Answer: Many times. Ah well, at least it was 'only' a Premier 700 but the extra 150 would have been nice.

I guess the local guys will now be waiting for next stinker of an article in BT Sporten. Thomas Idskov with a lot of Peter Bastiansen quotes about how poor and useless Caro is :tape:

:lol: It's beyond me why the night matches are popular... especially at the weekend... Caro does need to learn to deal with them though... As you say, the CC into the leeward said was more often out than in. Vera had the week to get used to it... Caro should have read the conditions better... Overall Tennis looses.

As for the press. 'Croonin' was all positive for a tweet, his only reference to Caro all week that i saw (his contract probably only allows one a month)... as for the rest, who cares..

Bastiansen... :lol: Never heard of him in his playing days... and I'm an overly patriotic fan of anything remotely successful Danish sport wise :devil:

backhandsmash
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Noone should be on either player's ass regarding this match. Woz might not have been "on" like in previous matches, but she did the best she could in this match. It just wasn't enough against a player who basically "out-wozzed" her.

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM
:lol: It's beyond me why the night matches are popular... especially at the weekend... Caro does need to learn to deal with them though... As you say, the CC into the leeward said was more often out than in. Vera had the week to get used to it... Caro should have read the conditions better... Overall Tennis looses.

As for the press. 'Croonin' was all positive for a tweet, his only reference to Caro all week that i saw (his contract probably only allows one a month)... as for the rest, who cares..

Bastiansen... :lol: Never heard of him in his playing days... and I'm an overly patriotic fan of anything remotely successful Danish sport wise :devil:
I think it's because night matches supposedly bring an electric atmosphere to the match. :rolleyes:

GAWOZFAN
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Noone should be on either player's ass regarding this match. Woz might not have been "on" like in previous matches, but she did the best she could in this match. It just wasn't enough against a player who basically "out-wozzed" her.

Agree. As has been mentioned, they both had to play in the same conditions and Vera was just better in them. Disappointed at the loss but at least this time, Caro was "beaten" (albeit in a final), instead of Caro "losing" it, in her last loss to Li. We'll get 'em next time :(

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Agree with your comments and suggestions in the latter portion above...

Glad you did :) You're a heavy reader right?

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM
You answered many of my questions there;Li'l Bepa is a SUPERB 'Wind Player'....I even invented her nickname,'Queen of the Breezes',in another forum that shall go unnamed:angel:

I don't think it was just the wind. Caroline really struggled to hold her serve, even if she was up 40-0 and she had some great chances to break Vera up 0-40/15-40 but she couldn't quite get it done. I think the match was similar to the US Open match from last year, Caroline really couldn't get any momentum going. She would play one or two nice points but then Vera came back strong and wouldn't let Caroline get into any kind of rhythm.

Jorn
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Even today's loss, Caro has a good record against the Russian...

Caroline Wozniacki has 37-5 W/L vs Russian Players since April of 2009.

bruce goose
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Glad you did :) You're a heavy reader right?Yep,Mom gets a lot of the credit for encouraging me to read at a young age.....Haven't really looked into it,but I imagine that a smart gal like Caro also enjoys reading a lot.She has to do something to keep her sharp mind occupied on long plane flights,right?;)

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I don't think it was just the wind. Caroline really struggled to hold her serve, even if she was up 40-0 and she had some great chances to break Vera up 0-40/15-40 but she couldn't quite get it done. I think the match was similar to the US Open match from last year, Caroline really couldn't get any momentum going. She would play one or two nice points but then Vera came back strong and wouldn't let Caroline get into any kind of rhythm.

Do serves not get effected by the wind? I agree about the momentum, but that was just as much about being able to deal with the wind, and not letting it get to you? Vera dealt with the situation better and kept her cool as a result. I don't buy that Caro was outplayed... Looking at the UE count compared to the past few games suggests otherwise. It may still have been close but that's just mho. I think it's a damn shame that wind should be a factor in this day and age...

Saying that, I just had a look at the trophy... And there is no way that would look good in a modernist apartment... so I think we have the real reason that Caro lost... or am I sounding to much like a typical GM poster now :devil:

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Do serves not get effected by the wind? I agree about the momentum, but that was just as much about being able to deal with the wind, and not letting it get to you? Vera dealt with the situation better and kept her cool as a result. I don't buy that Caro was outplayed... Looking at the UE count compared to the past few games suggests otherwise. It may still have been close but that's just mho. I think it's a damn shame that wind should be a factor in this day and age...

Saying that, I just had a look at the trophy... And there is no way that would look good in a modernist apartment... so I think we have the real reason that Caro lost... or am I sounding to much like a typical GM poster now :devil:

Maybe you are right but I don't like to make any excuses for her and surely the wind is not to blame for every missed serve or shot. Wind is part of the game and Caroline is going to need to figure out how to play in it.

JadeFox
Feb 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I was concerned about today actually mainly because Vera tends to do very well in Doha.

I didn't get to see the match. It sucks she lost, but hey, can't win them all. She still had a very good two weeks.

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe you are right but I don't like to make any excuses for her and surely the wind is not to blame for every missed serve or shot. Wind is part of the game and Caroline is going to need to figure out how to play in it.

Absolutely, she will... Vera had too, Experience helps? Its not an excuse... Caro failed to deal with the conditions.. that needs work... Its all part of the game... IMHO, its just a bit silly that important finals need to have gusty windy conditions thrown into the mix?

The match quality would be better if wind was less of a factor?

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I was concerned about today actually mainly because Vera tends to do very well in Doha.

I didn't get to see the match. It sucks she lost, but hey, can't win them all. She still had a very good two weeks.
Caro had beaten her in both their previous meetings in Doha though (the YEC in 2009 & 2010) and Caro has done well herself at this tournament when it was the YEC reaching the semis in 2009 and final in 2010.

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
You always feel disappointed after a loss, but if anyone had asked me two weeks ago if I would have been satisfied with Dubai title and Doha RUP I would have said "Hell yes!". Caro won her first pre-April WTA title and when I heard she was sick 4 days ago I didn't really expect her to go as far as the final this week. Caro has played much better this week than I expected of her so early in the season. She even played her best match ever against Pennetta. Caro also settled two old scores with wins Against Jankovic and Bartoli. It would have been much harder for me to handle if Caro's loss had been against one of these two. I expect Caro to get even better as the season progresses and I think she'll beat Zvonareva next time as long as they won't be playing in a storm.
All in all these two weeks have been 95% positive and with just a cold but no injuries we can expect Caro to be fully ready for IW. :)

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Absolutely, she will... Vera had too, Experience helps? Its not an excuse... Caro failed to deal with the conditions.. that needs work... Its all part of the game... IMHO, its just a bit silly that important finals need to have gusty windy conditions thrown into the mix?

The match quality would be better if wind was less of a factor?

To your previous comment about the popularity of night matches, I love them, particularly at the US Open. In most of the windy matches I have seen it seems like both players handle the wind roughly the same so maybe that's why I am more dismissive of it as a factor than you are. For me the atmosphere at night is completely different than day matches and the crowd is usually much more into night matches. Generally they just seem much more exciting.

I thought it was pretty funny last year to see Caroline perform an emergency braiding of her hair during her match against Cibulkova which was one of the windiest matches I can recall seeing. If I remember correctly there were a few early breaks and it appeared that it was a definite disadvantage to be serving. On that occasion Caroline did ok in the wind and today's match was far less windy.

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:11 PM
You always feel disappointed after a loss, but if anyone had asked me two weeks ago if I would have been satisfied with Dubai title and Doha RUP I would have said "Hell yes!". Caro won her first pre-April WTA title and when I heard she was sick 4 days ago I didn't really expect her to go as far as the final this week. Caro has played much better this week than I expected of her so early in the season. She even played her best match ever against Pennetta. Caro also settled two old scores with wins Against Jankovic and Bartoli. It would have been much harder for me to handle if Caro's loss had been against one of these two. I expect Caro to get even better as the season progresses and I think she'll beat Zvonareva next time as long as they won't be playing in a storm.
All in all these two weeks have been 95% positive and with just a cold but no injuries we can expect Caro to be fully ready for IW. :)

Curse you, your rationalism and your unbridled optimism! :p

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Because in Muslim countries the weekend is Friday + Saturday
So why was the men's final on saturday and the women's final on sunday?

JadeFox
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Caro had beaten her in both their previous meetings in Doha though (the YEC in 2009 & 2010) and Caro has done well herself at this tournament when it was the YEC reaching the semis in 2009 and final in 2010.

True but still Caro and Vera tend to be so evenly matched when playing each other, hence the even H2H. They play a similar style and I think Caro actually plays better against big hitters than players who play similarly to her. That's why I never overlook Vera when Caro has to play her.

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:18 PM
To your previous comment about the popularity of night matches, I love them, particularly at the US Open. In most of the windy matches I have seen it seems like both players handle the wind roughly the same so maybe that's why I am more dismissive of it as a factor than you are. For me the atmosphere at night is completely different than day matches and the crowd is usually much more into night matches. Generally they just seem much more exciting.

I thought it was pretty funny last year to see Caroline perform an emergency braiding of her hair during her match against Cibulkova which was one of the windiest matches I can recall seeing. If I remember correctly there were a few early breaks and it appeared that it was a definite disadvantage to be serving. On that occasion Caroline did ok in the wind and today's match was far less windy.
A lot of the wind matches I've seen one player handles it a lot better. :shrug:

That match against Domi wasn't that good. :shrug:

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Night matches are fine by me... But they could diffuse the wind...

The game against Cibulkova was embarrassing for the organisers imho... A supposed "more important than any other tournament" with dust being sucked up by mini twisters on court... Caro played patiently and won, but you can't say it was a high quality match.

Plant some trees or mount metal trees on the rim of the stadium...

If you like windy sports you should check out some home football games in the Faroes... 40knt cross winds and all... you always pass the ball toward the sea... and short ball passing games will never triumph there.

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 06:56 PM
The entry list for IW seems to include anybody except the Williams sisters (as always). I hope Caro'll get a chance for revenge against Stosur or Li Na there.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/Players/Player-Landing.aspx

angliru
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:03 PM
This was Caro's eight final in just over six months, and she has lost just one of the previous seven. It would almost be too good if she had won this one too. I'm definetely not dissapointed, nor should she be. It's been the best January and February of her career!

I'm not too concerned about the next two or three months if only she can peak again in late May to early July... ;)

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:12 PM
The entry list for IW seems to include anybody except the Williams sisters (as always). I hope Caro'll get a chance for revenge against Stosur or Li Na there.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/Players/Player-Landing.aspx
Hopefully Caro can avoid the wind as much as possible.

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:16 PM
This was Caro's eight final in just over six months, and she has lost just one of the previous seven. It would almost be too good if she had won this one too. I'm definetely not dissapointed, nor should she be. It's been the best January and February of her career!

I'm not too concerned about the next two or three months if only she can peak again in late May to early July... ;)
I'm not looking forward to the end of the winter hard court season. I don't see results on clay or grass being near her hard court results alas.

I'm hoping at some point she can take over as the queen of hard courts. :)

DownInAHole
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I'm not looking forward to the end of the winter hard court season. I don't see results on clay or grass being near her hard court results alas.

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the clay season. Lots of folks seem to think she is bad on clay but she did make the quarters of Roland Garros last year and she's a better player now than she was then. I certainly do not get the impression that Caroline is satisfied being just a hardcourt player and I think she might surprise you.

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:29 PM

It's hard to guess what to expect from Caro on red clay. Last year she was injured the whole RC season. She was still a bit handicapped at FO, even (as Dulgheru confirmed) but still managed a respectable QF. So not having played RC at full strength since 2009 when she was a far lesser player than now. I'm pretty curious to see how well her increased strength translates to her supposedly least favorite surface. If only Caro remains uninjured I think there's less than a handful of players she should fear more on RC than HC.

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the clay season. Lots of folks seem to think she is bad on clay but she did make the quarters of Roland Garros last year and she's a better player now than she was then. I certainly do not get the impression that Caroline is satisfied being just a hardcourt player and I think she might surprise you.

Agreed. :) she's always in with a chance... even on the grass.

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:34 PM
If only Caro remains uninjured I think there's less than a handful of players she should fear more on RC than HC.

Is she laying of the green clay this year?

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Is she laying of the green clay this year?

Yes, no tournaments planned between Miami and Stuttgart. No PVB this year, anyway and it wouldn't make good sense to play an extra tournaments back-to-back for just one GC tournament, Charleston. Especially not since it was there a tired Caro got her injury last year after playing IW, Miami, PVB and Charleston with no breaks in between.

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Yes, no tournaments planned between Miami and Stuttgart. No PVB this year, anyway and it wouldn't make good sense to play 3 tournaments back-to-back (IW, Miami, Memphis) for just that one GC tournament.

My ankles feel better already... :)

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Yes, no tournaments planned between Miami and Stuttgart. No PVB this year, anyway and it wouldn't make good sense to play an extra tournaments back-to-back for just one GC tournament, Charleston. Especially not since it was there a tired Caro got her injury last year after playing IW, Miami, PVB and Charleston with no breaks in between.
Well Charleston would be one tournament less in a row this year.

I like green clay and I'd prefer Caro play Charleston instead of Stuttgart. :p

bruce goose
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Am not a mind-reader,but I suspect that Caroline's successes have given her increasing confidence in herself...and that she realizes how it's unnecessary for her to prove herself by showing up at every possible tournament....By preserving herself NOW,in her youth,she's raising the odds that we'll have the pleasure of watching her for many,many years:cool:

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Well Charleston would be one tournament less in a row this year.

I like green clay and I'd prefer Caro play Charleston instead of Stuttgart. :p

I wouldn't. Playing two (hopefully) long tournaments and then going straight onto a new surface, tired is not the best of ideas. Instead she now gets a soft start to the RC season with rest both before and after the first tournament, Stuttgart.

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't. Playing two (hopefully) long tournaments and then going straight onto a new surface, tired is not the best of ideas. Instead she now gets a soft start to the RC season with rest both before and after the first tournament, Stuttgart.

It's hard to guess what to expect from Caro on red clay. Last year she was injured the whole RC season. She was still a bit handicapped at FO, even (as Dulgheru confirmed) but still managed a respectable QF. So not having played RC at full strength since 2009 when she was a far lesser player than now. I'm pretty curious to see how well her increased strength translates to her supposedly least favorite surface. If only Caro remains uninjured I think there's less than a handful of players she should fear more on RC than HC.
It wasn't really an issue in Ponte Vedra Beach last year. :shrug:

Stuttgart is fairly atypical for a read clay tournament. I'm not sure if it was Caro or someone else who said something to the effect that it was a bit weird.

I'm curious as to who you think those players she should be concerned about on red clay as opposed to hard courts.

Protoss
Feb 26th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Caro won 71% of points on her 1st serve in Doha and averaged 2.3 aces per match. :) Her 2nd serve didn't do so well as she won only 41% of points on it.

Caro is winning 67% of points on her 1st serve for the season and averaging 1.7 aces per match. :) I'd like to see that ace amount increase to over 2 a match. Caro is winning 46% of points on her 2nd serve for the season.

FormerlyKnownAs
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Even though it is the best start to the season Caroline has had so far, I must say that after the way she has been playing in Doha I was very disappointed with her game today.
Its the same court and same conditions, and she has beaten Zvonareva before, so why did she play so timidly, and defensively, her whole attitude was so different from the other days.

Given that the wind might have blown more, tiredness from the virus and you cannot be at the top the whole time, she seemed "off" in one way or another from the very beginning, and I had just got used to her steering matches from the off and having a tremendously positive glow to her.

O well, it will be interesting what she comes up with in IW. She will have to win it to get extra points she was in the final last year.

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Stuttgart is fairly atypical for a read clay tournament. I'm not sure if it was Caro or someone else who said something to the effect that it was a bit weird.

Yes, Stuttgart is the only RC tournament being played indoors so the surface is a bit different.

I'm curious as to who you think those players are she should be concerned about on red clay as opposed to hard courts.

There are some players who are already dangerous on HC but even more so on clay. I'm thinking of clay specialists such as Schiavone, Stosur and Martinez Sanchez. Possibly Jankovic, too who had a good clay season last year. I'm not quite sure what to expect from her on clay this year, though, but her two SFs here in the Midle East indicates she's coming out of her slump.

terjw
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Even though it is the best start to the season Caroline has had so far, I must say that after the way she has been playing in Doha I was very disapointed with her game today.
Its the same court and same conditions, and she has beaten Zvonareva before, so why did she play so timidly, and defensively, her whole attitude was so different from the other days.

Given that the wind might have blown more, tiredness from the virus and you cannot be at the top the whole time, she seemed "off" in one way or another from the very beginning, and I had just got used to her stearing matches from the off and having a tremendessly positive glow to her.

O well, it will be interesting what she comes up with in IW. She will have to win it to get extra points she was in the final last year.

I'm not sure I agree with you that she just played timid and passive. There were plenty of points she played aggressive and a tactic that often worked was controlling the point pinning Vera with heavy shots on her backhand before getting an easy ball back to put away either in the open court or behind her. But she never really got any momentum going. Caro also hit a lot of backhand DTL shots that just went long. But I don't agree she was just passive all the time.

The trouble I found in this match was that Vera looked better and the more likely to be the aggressor and the winner on the big points. Not always on every point - but more often than Caro. Every time the score got to deuce (particularly all those games Caro had been 40-0 up) - Vera looked like she'd win the game with Caro clinging on by her coat tails. And Caro's serve started to wobble on those deuce games. When it was Vera serving - she would often come up with some really good serves and free points on her deuce games.

On some comments by other posters blaming / mentioning the windy conditions - I'm not convinced at all that she lost just because of that. For a start - her game should be perfect to be able to cope with the wind more than any other player and she has done so many times before. It's all very well pointing to how well she did against Bartoli and Pennetta as to how she played when it wasn't so windy - but Vera is simply a much better player than those two.

C. W. Fields
Feb 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM
On some comments by other posters blaming / mentioning the windy conditions - I'm not convinced at all that she lost just because of that. For a start - her game should be perfect to be able to cope with the wind more than any other player and she has done so many times before. It's all very well pointing to how well she did against Bartoli and Pennetta as to how she played when it wasn't so windy - but Vera is simply a much better player than those two.

I don't quite agree with you about Caro's game being suited to cope with the wind. In windy conditions it's an advantage to play a pretty flat game like Vera does, hitting 'under' the wind. When you hit the ball with a fairly high spin like Caro does the wind 'takes' the ball more.
But yes, on top of that Vera is also the best player Caro faced this week.

Burisleif
Feb 26th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Wind also reduces error margins that you can get away with if you tense up a bit... So what you might have gotten away with you don't... Without re watching the Match and counting, its impossible to say, but the impression I got was that Caro lost most points to wind. :shrug:

Dodoboy.
Feb 26th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Shame about the wind, but still GREAT fortnight!