PDA

View Full Version : I have a very basic question!!!

slamchamp
Jan 28th, 2011, 12:20 AM
So here it goes:
So Maria's parents are from Bielorussia and they moved to Russia before Maria was born. So Maria is russian but she speaks russian with her family?? They're not Bielorussian?
This doubt came out of nowhere and I'm confused

nelsondan
Jan 28th, 2011, 01:36 AM
It is not a bad question in my opinion---I learned some stuff by going to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus

Something happened in 1991 regarding Belarus becoming independent. When you get to the bottom, click the famous belarusian link, and Maria will be in there with a hundred others. Model from decades ago Janice Dickenson? who knew.

Julian.
Jan 28th, 2011, 11:04 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Maria's family lived in Belarussia but they are Russian ethnically.

slamchamp
Jan 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
So her family speaks Russian and not Bielorussian or whatever language they speak in Bielorussia?
Yuri is russian or not?

Julian.
Jan 28th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Yes they speak Russian as they are ethnically Russian. Yuri is Russian.

slamchamp
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Yes they speak Russian as they are ethnically Russian. Yuri is Russian.I can be for example ethnically italian in the US and usually they'd speak english..I suppose they went to live in Bielorussia at some point

Julian.
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I read an interview from Maria somewhere and she said her family speaks Russian. Her mom even makes sure that Maria still knows how to speak and write in Russian even though Maria lives in the US.

And Belarussia used to be part of Russia so maybe they were just living in the Belarussian part of Russia when Belarussia separated itself from Russia.

Vodkapova
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Maria's cousin, Daria, represents Russia. However, her other cousin (Anna Pomskaya or something :o ) represents Belarus. If I'm not mistaken, Yuri and Yelena are originally from Belarus? :confused:

Julian.
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:20 PM
^ Daria Sharapova actually represents Belarus as well. :lol:

I think Yuri and Jelena are from Belarus but I could be wrong.

Vodkapova
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
She does? :eek: Or did I get them mixed up. Perhaps Anna Pomiskayavarava represents Russia. Anyway, yeah, I've read somewhere that Masha's parents moved from Belarus to Russia. Not particularly sure if they're ethnically Belorussian though. But it's not too big of a difference anyway. :lol:

Julian.
Jan 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Yes, she does :lol: I remember because I know the 2 Sharapovas represent 2 different nations :lol:

slamchamp
Jan 28th, 2011, 04:52 PM
I'm more confused now than before:lol: My conclusion is that in that part of Bielorussia they speak russian:p

nelsondan
Jan 28th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm more confused now than before:lol: My conclusion is that in that part of Bielorussia they speak russian:p

I'm with you. I can understand there is a difference between speaking russian and english--but really--how much difference is there in speaking belarussian and russian, if belarus was not even independent until 1991? I am in awe of the level of language experts we must have on this site if distinguishing between the two is so easy. I am from Missouri, and I think people from Arkansas sound a little funny, but I could listen to President Clinton speak and still understand him. The Bush's were from Texas, so that was not quite as easy.

Monzanator
Jan 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Both Elena & Yuri were originally from Belarus and only took the Russian citizenship after the Soviet Union crumbled since they were living in the Russian Federation already (Elena's father worked in the Siberia region and lived there with his wife - Maria's maternal grandparents and both Yuri & Elena moved there as the effect of the Chernobyl disaster). Her paternal grandmother still lives in Gomel, Belarus...