PDA

View Full Version : You & Your Tennis

Andy.
Jan 25th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I know there is a whole section dedicated to this but I thought we could discusss it here to. We discuss everything else but rarely discuss our own experiences with tennis. I'm intereested if people here actually play tennis themselves or just watch it on TV/live. If you do play I think it would be good to discuss things like:

* How often you play
* When did you first start playing
* Are you any good/whats your level/results
* Your style of play
* Strengths/Weaknesses
* What racket you use
* What do you wear when you play
* Where you play
* What surfaces have you played on/Whats your favourite surface
* Your on court persona

I guess the reason I'm asking and so keep on non pro tennis is I recently started playing tennis again after about 7 years out of the game. I mean I played for fun every now and again with friends but I'm back playing twice a week soon to be three days a week and I'm really enjoying it. I would just like to here about other peoples experience with tennis. We could even post pix and vids if people were keen.

Maria Croft
Jan 25th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I haven't played in a very long time and I can't say I was that good at it when I played :p

But I always gave it my best and have some nice epic wins ;)

My best shot is definitely more forehand, I can always trust that shot. My backhand is my big weakness though, just feels like such a weak shot when I hit it.

I have only played outdoor and indoor hard, so it's hard for me to say.

I used to never show any emotion when I played, but ever since following Maria I've been using c'mon! after a good point or nice winner :lol:

Lachy
Jan 25th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Oooh this looks fun!

* How often you play
I play a couple of times a week.

* When did you first start playing
When I was 14

* Are you any good/whats your level/results
I just play for school (1st's)

* Your style of play
Ballbasher

* Strengths/Weaknesses
Speed+Backhand/Serve :tape:

* What racket you use
Prince O3 Speedport White

* What do you wear when you play
Umm anything really, but I have aqua blue Nike shoes.

* Where you play
Locally, 5 mins down the road.

* What surfaces have you played on/Whats your favourite surface
Hardcourt all the way, and I also like plexicushion.

* Your on court persona
Usually laughing a lot.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jan 25th, 2011, 01:04 PM
How often you play:
I train with my coach about twice a week. I compete in the school team weekly and compete in Division tennis on other days.

When did you first start playing:
I first started playing when I was about 8? I'm not sure, but it was a really long time ago. I used to be great when I was a kid too, then I stopped and went on hiatus for 2-3 years, then started playing regularly again when I was about 12.

Are you any good/whats your level/results:
I play for the school team (usually A or B grade—but sometimes I'm downgraded to B). I competed in Division 4 tennis which is pretty okay I suppose; I'm probably good enough for Division 3 but never got the chance. I've won a fair amount of matches and lost a fair amount. Last match result was a 6-0, 5-7, 6-1 win, it was pretty random.

Your style of play:
I try my best to be an all-around player and have a "Plan B". When things are not working I can (or try) to figure out what is not working and find an alternate plan (e.g. become a pusher on occasion).

Strengths/Weaknesses:
My forehand is my strongest shot, simply because my backhand sucks. My volley sucks, too. My movement and serve are pretty okay. My return serve is great, I dominate a lot of rallies thanks to that. My stamina, however, is probably the worst out of all the boys competing; so I try my best not to get into long rallies/matches.

What racket you use:
I play with a Prince, not sure what model.

What do you wear when you play:
I love those Nike polo shirts that you see on Roger (no, I don't like him)—so I buy those a lot. I don't buy ones with "RF" engraved on them though, hate those. I wear a headband depending on my hair length at the time; but I don't sweat too much so I don't worry too much about it.

Where you play:
School, clubs, etc.

What surfaces have you played on/whats your favourite surface:
I've played on hardcourts for the most part of my life, it's the only one available. In New Zealand though, there's these carpet courts that I've played on. They also have these "fake-grass" courts that has a lot of sand in it. They're too slidey for my liking though, so hardcourts remains my favorite.

Your on court persona:
I can really control my emotions (in other words, I don't show any emotion). I don't get mad nor do I get excited/pumped, period.

Jovana.
Jan 25th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Me and my tennis split after my knee injury.

Andy.
Jan 26th, 2011, 05:14 AM
* How often you play: Well since I started playing again last week I have been playing twice a week. In Feb I will be increasing that to three times per week.

* When did you first start playing: I first started playing tennis when I was 8 and finished playing for the first time when I was 18. I then took and extended break from the game but now I'm back bitches.

* Are you any good/whats your level/results: Well I used to be quite good. I was state level player at one stage so I was pretty decent. Now I guess my level is pretty average but improving week by week.

* Your style of play: Im definitly a big hitter. Growing up my favourite players were Mary Pierce and Lindsay Davenport and I guess I mimicked my game off their's. I dont really like to defend, I dont really use variety, I like to be in control of the points and I like the points short. I have a big serve and flat powerful ground strokes. My serve looks very similar to Mary's as does my ground stroke production.

* Strengths/Weaknesses: Power, Groundstrokes, Serve, Return/Mobilty,One Dimentional.

* What racket you use: I still struggle to believe that I bought one of my most disliked players old rackets but I use the Yonex RQiS 1 Tour XL 95 (I have always played with Yonex).

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/new_big/Y1TXL-1.jpg

* What do you wear when you play: I mainly wear plainsih stuff these days with a bit of Nike thrown in there. I would by clothes from like General Pants or a store like that to play/train in (Aussies will know what I'm talking about).

* Where you play: I play on courts in the inner west of Sydney (Marrickville) which is a bit of a hike from Clovelly (near Bondi for non Sydney Siders).

* What surfaces have you played on/Whats your favourite surface: I have played on Synthetic grass, grass, Hardcourt, Rebound Ace and Plexicusion. Never played on clay. I dont think I would really like it but it would be nice to try.

* Your on court persona: I guess I can get a little emotional/dramatic and like to play a few mind games out there ala Jelena Jankovic. I would say she is the closest player to my on court persona.