PDA

View Full Version : Safina was never that good to begin with..

Aaron.
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I'm sorry to break it to you guys, Safina was never that good. She took advantage of a weak period in the WTA when her confidence was at an all time high. And still managed to lose pretty easily in matches that were important. Outside of clay she was never any good :shrug:

She's a decent top 25 player and nothing more. She did good to make two slam finals IMO.

goat
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Delete this thread.

Polikarpov
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Three slam finals.

goat
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Olympic silver 10mil in cash prize money.

goat
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:04 AM
She sounds pretty shit to me :sarcasm:

Aaron.
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:04 AM
She lost those finals pretty badly too. And two of them were on clay. She's good on clay and that's it.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:05 AM
She lost those finals pretty badly too. And two of them were on clay. She's good on clay and that's it.

Nerves. Very good player, but a nervous wreck in important moments.

justineheninfan
I agree. Some people seem clueless to this fact. I laughed when she won the poll as best slamless #1 over Jankovic and Wozniacki. Alot of people here are really clueless on certain things.

I dont like to dump on any players, even ones I dont like, but it seems alot of people need a reality check when it comes to Safina. Even at her very best she is just a top 20 player at best. Her gettting to #1 was a huge accident, an enormous overachievement, and essentialy a fluke. It was a combination of so many factors- the retirements of the Belgians, Serena only caring about 6 events a year meaning someone else has to be ranked #1 alot of the time no matter how bad the field is, a badly flawed ranking system that rewards quantity over quality amongst other flaws, so many top players being injured or out of form, and a wierd recent trend of nearly all the better players (not just Serena) not wanting to play much which goes against the current ranking policies. Even when #1 there were atleast 8 women in the then depleted WTA who expected to beat her anytime out and most times easily did so, especialy in an important match, while anyone in the top 200 could still potentially beat her on any given day. She never scared or intimidated anyone even while #1. She is a B-level power player with a poor serve, and that is her only game, she has nothing else be it decent volleying, good tactics, variety, and she moves poorly and is a suspect competitor.

Aaron.
Olympic silver 10mil in cash prize money. No need to be so defensive, but people are acting like Safina will get back to the top 5 or something. She excels on clay and outside of it her game is pretty average: Bad Mover, Inconsistent Serve + Forehand, Decent Backhand. Nothing more :shrug:

Aaron.
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I agree. Some people seem clueless to this fact. I laughed when she won the poll as best slamless #1 over Jankovic and Wozniacki. Alot of people here are really clueless on certain things.

I dont like to dump on any players, even ones I dont like, but it seems alot of people need a reality check when it comes to Safina. Even at her very best she is just a top 20 player at best. Her gettting to #1 was a huge accident, an enormous overachievement, and essentialy a fluke. It was a combination of so many factors- the retirements of the Belgians, Serena only caring about 6 events a year meaning someone else has to be ranked #1 alot of the time no matter how bad the field is, a badly flawed ranking system that rewards quantity over quality amongst other flaws, so many top players being injured or out of form, and a wierd recent trend of nearly all the better players (not just Serena) not wanting to play much which goes against the current ranking policies. Even when #1 there were atleast 8 women in the then depleted WTA who expected to beat her anytime out and most times easily did so, especialy in an important match, while anyone in the top 200 could still potentially beat her on any given day. She never scared or intimidated anyone even while #1. She is a B-level power player with a poor serve, and that is her only game, she has nothing else be it decent volleying, good tactics, variety, and she moves poorly and is a suspect competitor. I agree 100% with everything you said.

Ciarán
Oh God, another pretenious and arrogant thread created by a poster with as much tennis knowledge as a spoon. A weak period? She beat Serena and Justine in the same tournament at the start of her rise. Also, I begin to question whether you've watched Safina play at her best, because if you did you wouldn't create such a ridiculous thread with such ill informed claims. You'd know Dinara was actually a very good player, maybe not your typical #1 but definitely top 3. When did you actually start watching tennis? By the sounds of things it was only recently. What Dinara lacked in natural talent she made up for with hard work. Yes, she's going through a rough patch atm, but she has proved with 3 grand slam finals, an Silver Olympic medal and having 'been #1' in her resume she is more than a 'top 25 at best' player.

justineheninfan
Three slam finals.

2 of them the real final took place before the final. Jankovic-Ivanovic was the real final of the 2008 French, and the winner played a final exhibition vs Safina. Dementieva-Serena was the real final of the 2009 Australian and the winners played a final exhibition vs Safina. The 2009 French is the only one she was really in the tournament deciding match and what a fiasco that was.

I laugh that people use the basis of 3 slam finals vs 1 for Jankovic as the so called reason Safina is superior to Jankovic. As if Safina was actually playing better than Jankovic at the 2008 French, LOL! If Jelena had won that tense semifinal with Ana which she probably should have she would have spanked Safina in the final.

AcesHigh
Nerves. Very good player, but a nervous wreck in important moments.

This. Safina was wasted talent before her surprise run.
When she started her rise she was starting to turn that talent into something.

RenaSlam.
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:08 AM
Good player at the time. That's it.

Leo_DFP
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:08 AM
This thread is nothing we didn't already now.

For years.

Sp!ffy
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:09 AM
You're the idiot that said tennis balls were made larger because the WTA is racist against the Williams sisters.

Every post you make is automatically deemed stupid in my eyes.

Leo_DFP
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Good player at the time. That's it.

Actually, if you look back, Safina actually only played good tennis in 2008. That year on clay and on hard she was sharp, consistent, collected. In 2009 she was a complete mess the entire year from January on, but she had some great results because of her pedigree and her ranking, which caused opponents to choke. Besides the brief clay run she made, she was in shitty shitty form.

That's why I feel Safina is clearly the worst #1 of all time. She may have more Slam finals than Jankovic and Wozniacki, but her tennis level is the lowest. Of those three, Jankovic could and did achieve the highest level.

DeliriousPotato
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
I don't like Safina, but I also do not agree with you.
She has some pretty good acomplishments under her belt...
But, alas, she is but another promising girl that fell under pressure.
But it doesn't mean that you have to attack her whole career, I don't see anyone saying that Chakvetadze or Vaidisova were never good to begin with... :shrugs:

Polikarpov
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:11 AM
Safina, arguably, might have been the worst world no.1. But saying that she's just a decent top 25 player is absolutely ridiculous. Can you name other "decent top 25 players" players who have reached three slam finals in any era?

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:12 AM
I rate Ivanovic, Jankovic, Wozniacki, and Safina in this order:

1. Jankovic- the most talented player who played pretty good while at #1.
2. Wozniacki- considering her youth I give her some benefit of doubt.
3. Ivanovic- the best career of these 4 thus far but unfortunately fell apart after reaching #1. Was worst one while actually #1, even more than Safina, but played great tennis for 13 months or more to reach #1.
4. Safina- I have already made my feelings known.

LoveFifteen
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM
This thread is about as useful as a thread entitled "Svetlana Kuznetsova is a lesbian". Anyone with a clear mind has known both for years. :lol:

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Safina, arguably, might have been the worst world no.1, but saying that she's just a decent top 25 player is absolutely ridiculous. Can you name other "decent top 25 players" players who have reached three slam finals in any era?

A peak Kimiko Date would probably have won 4 slams or more in this era, and easily be #1 at some point the last few years (which doesnt even require winning slams). The current #1 (Wozniacki) is badly beaten in a poll here recently vs Sandrine Testud to who is the better player. This (2008 to today) is not a typical era, the like which if there is a god we will never see again, especialy as it was in 2008 and 2009 before the Belgians came back. It isnt even a typical era within this era which was awesome at one point with Venus, Serena, Henin, Mauresmo, Sharapova, Davenport, Capriati, and others all battling for the top and has disintegrated to what we see lately. What does it say that part time mommy Kim comes back and probably a weaker player than her real peak and has probably quadrupled her career slam count in a couple weeks from now.

@danieln1
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Why so much hatred towards Safina right now?? She just ate a double bagel, give the girl a break and stick the hatred to Kimberly and Justine who are actually winning matches!!! :haha: :haha:

It's not like she's the first former number one to lose a match 6-0 6-0, at least she finished the match

pov
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM
I'm sorry to break it to you guys, Safina was never that good. She took advantage of a weak period in the WTA when her confidence was at an all time high. And still managed to lose pretty easily in matches that were important. Outside of clay she was never any good :shrug:

She's a decent top 25 player and nothing more. She did good to make two slam finals IMO.
I'd say that this was a crappy analysis but it doesn't even qualify as analysis. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

pov
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:33 AM
This thread is about as useful as a thread entitled "Svetlana Kuznetsova is a lesbian". Anyone with a clear mind has known both for years. :lol:
Hmm - in that case, thankfully my mind is very murky. :haha:

Dominika23
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:46 AM
like damn Safina haters r out today Yeah she played Real bad to kim 6-0 6-0 but to say she never was good You sound stupid the girl was Number 1 that prove enough the only main reason why her ranking is so low is because she miss damn near half the year. & what number 1 player don't fall off or even former top ten should I name some for U people Serena, Maria, Ana Ivanović, Venus Williams, Anna Chakvetadze even Andre Agassi had his drop and all those player got back up in the ranking and U can best believe Safina will to so don't talk so fast because it will happen

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Wozniacki is the current #1 and almost everyone here says she sucks, and there was even a poll where the vast majority said Sandrine Testud who might have been a top 10 barely for a few weeks was a better player than her, LOL! So based on that alone no people dont have to respect that Safina was #1.

As for coming back I in fact hope Safina can come back to a top 30 ranking someday, maybe even top 20. That would be a ranking befitting her true talent level.

goat
Jan 19th, 2011, 03:59 AM
As I regularly post on 4chan. OP is a ******.

tennisbum79
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:01 AM
This thread is unncessary

Hayato
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:09 AM
She was good actually, you don't get to #1 in the rankings by being a "decent top 25 player". No need to prove anything else to you, the stats are how they are. Sorry, but that's how it is.

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Safina during her 7 month or so period ranked #1:

-lost the French Open final to Kuznetsova 6-4, 6-2 while breaking down crying during the match

-lost the Wimbledon semifinal to Venus 6-0, 6-1

-lost in straight sets to an aging Tamarine Tanasugarn

-lost to #72 Petra Kvitova at the U.S Open

-lost to #132 Kai-Chen Chang

-lost to #226 Shuai Zhang

And those are just the worst moments. She also lost another final in easy straight sets to Kuznetsova, a 2nd round match to Jie Zheng, a final in easy straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to a badly slumping Jankovic, a 1st round match to Rezai.

Her high points while at #1 other than the slam final humiliation to Kuznetsova was winning 2 tournaments on clay with 2 good wins- Kuznetsova and a then up and coming Wozniacki (who even today is unestablished on clay). And one other tournament called Portoproz beating Sara Errani.

If you want to extend to the part of the year in early 2009 before she was ranked #1 then fine. She lost to Dementieva in the Sydney final, lost 6-0, 6-3 in another big match humilation in the Australian final to Serena (after a cakewalk draw to the final where Serena scraped past a few of the real threats in the other half), lost 1st round in Dubai to Razanno the World #58, lost to World #11 Azarenka in the Indian Wells quarters, and lost 2nd round of Miami to World #42 Stosur 6-1, 6-4. No other tournament wins obviously.

If you want to extend even further to late 2008 then fine. She lost the Olympic final to Dementieva, U.S Open semis 6-3, 6-2 in another slaughter to Serena, won a tournament with a good win over Kuznetsova in the final, lost 6-4, 6-2 to Venus in the Stuttgart quarters, lost in straight sets to Zvonareva in the Moscow semis, and then went 0-3 at the Tour final losing in straight sets to all of Venus, Dementieva, and Serena.

Now keep in mind this is undisputably the absolute best of Safina, the best that ever existed, the one some of you are trying to sell we should be impressed by as a foreceful and strong #1, LOL! Looking over her results it is amazing you could stay #1 so long with these, pretty funny actually. Conclusion she was a good clay courter, on everything else she was pretty insignificant.

goldenlox
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Maybe her top level wasn't great, but she won a lot of tournaments in a short amount of time. Berlin, LA, Montreal, Tokyo, Rome, Madrid, besides 3 slam finals 2 slam SF's, Olympic Gold medal match, & other finals like Sydney, Cincy, Stuttgart.

Dinara was very good at compiling points for about 15 months, until she had a hairline fracture of a bone in her back

thegreendestiny
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Agree. She was never really that good. Top 15 is where she really is. Those "miracle" comebacks in Roland Garros 2008 were called miracles for a good reason.

tennisforadults
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:20 AM
Safina during her 7 month or so period ranked #1:

-lost the French Open final to Kuznetsova 6-4, 6-2 while breaking down crying during the match

-lost the Wimbledon semifinal to Venus 6-0, 6-1

-lost in straight sets to an aging Tamarine Tanasugarn

-lost to #72 Petra Kvitova at the U.S Open

-lost to #132 Kai-Chen Chang

-lost to #226 Shuai Zhang

And those are just the worst moments. She also lost another final in easy straight sets to Kuznetsova, a 2nd round match to Jie Zheng, a final in easy straight sets 6-4, 6-2 to a badly slumping Jankovic, a 1st round match to Rezai.

Her high points while at #1 other than the slam final humiliation to Kuznetsova was winning 2 tournaments on clay with 2 good wins- Kuznetsova and a then up and coming Wozniacki (who even today is unestablished on clay). And one other tournament called Portoproz beating Sara Errani.

If you want to extend to the part of the year in early 2009 before she was ranked #1 then fine. She lost to Dementieva in the Sydney final, lost 6-0, 6-3 in another big match humilation in the Australian final to Serena (after a cakewalk draw to the final where Serena scraped past a few of the real threats in the other half), lost 1st round in Dubai to Razanno the World #58, lost to World #11 Azarenka in the Indian Wells quarters, and lost 2nd round of Miami to World #42 Stosur 6-1, 6-4. No other tournament wins obviously.

If you want to extend even further to late 2008 then fine. She lost the Olympic final to Dementieva, U.S Open semis 6-3, 6-2 in another slaughter to Serena, won a tournament with a good win over Kuznetsova in the final, lost 6-4, 6-2 to Venus in the Stuttgart quarters, lost in straight sets to Zvonareva in the Moscow semis, and then went 0-3 at the Tour final losing in straight sets to all of Venus, Dementieva, and Serena.

Now keep in mind this is undisputably the absolute best of Safina, the best that ever existed, the one some of you are trying to sell we should be impressed by as a foreceful and strong #1, LOL! Looking over her results it is amazing you could stay #1 so long with these, pretty funny actually. Conclusion she was a good clay courter, on everything else she was pretty insignificant.

Every player has bad losses. It's not like Safina is the only top player to lose matches she shouldn't. Jankovic, Ivanovic, Wozniacki (all the so-called weak number 1s) all have their fair share of bad losses. Even Clijsters is not immune.

She was a very good player, but had mental issues in Slam finals. Simple as that.

Dominika23
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:22 AM
Wow it so easy to point out the girl flaws but hate to tell her success haters like i said early Safina will be back

MakarovaFan
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:32 AM
Top 25 player lmao geez you give people an inch and they take a mile. On Clay homegirl would easily be top 5. Elsewherer i'd say top 15 Don't knock her achievements Becasue during that 08-09 streak she beat EVERYBODY!!! From Justine,Serena,Maria,Venus,Kim,Sveta,Jelena,Ana,El ena,Vera.....like seriously plus she made SF of all four slams(and last time i checked 3/4 were NOT on clay). Plus she played numerous SF/F's of big non clay events. Let's not exagerate people.

Potato
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:37 AM
A top 25 player "at best" does not make 3 slam finals, reach #1, beat top players often, and get a silver medal at the OG. :shrug: She is not as talented as Serena and Justine, but she worked hard and that's why she was number 1. I doubt you've actually watched a match where Safina played her best tennis.

Aren't you the one who said that tennis balls were made bigger because the tennis universe hates black people?

Mistress of Evil
Jan 19th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Her success happened at the time when she was in great shape. She is a player who is not naturally talented (or at least not so much) so she relies on her hard work sth like Davydenko. She would have been having the same results and maybe win a slam eventually but with that injury she lost the momentum.

Setsuna.
Jan 19th, 2011, 05:40 AM

:bs:

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Well saying she is just a top 25 player at her best makes a heck of alot more sense than trying to pretend like she was ever a worthy #1 or that is the place she really belongs with her talent and game if she at her best, ROTFL! The fact is right now she is not even top 100 caliber. At another point she was shockingly ranked #1. The real truth of what she should be is probably directly in between the two which is about top 25. Who knows if she will ever get back to even that point though, but if she is playing her best that is where she belongs, better than what she is now, but no way in hell anywhere near #1.

BlueTrees
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM
What a dumb thread :lol:

Yeah, she sucks crap now, it wasn't always that way

Marionated
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
What an attention whore the OP is :lol:

$uricate
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I thought I might get Safina by now but I still dont :shrug:

She had talent but I would never have imagined her reaching number one. Everything came together when she ascended to the top - the worst field ever, Justine's retirement - and she was the only one willing to step up. That one win over a cba Justine pushed her to the next level.

She got where she did purely by having confidence, she forced herself to win those matches playing ugly tennis.

I can't think of one match of hers from when she was number one that didnt make me want to self-immolate or throw myself out a window due to the poor quality.

She pushed herself to her best though, I'll give her that.

Dazza01
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
She's one of those dime-a-dozen, mentally fragile powerful gals, that was so incredibly hard-working that things fell into place for her.

I personally like her game, and felt so sad for her when she lost those slam finals/Olympic final.

Do I think she's amazing talented? No. But do I think she was no good to begin with? No. Any player who has done what she has, has to be very good.

I wish her the very best for her comeback.

Matt01
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Actually, if you look back, Safina actually only played good tennis in 2008. That year on clay and on hard she was sharp, consistent, collected. In 2009 she was a complete mess the entire year from January on, but she had some great results because of her pedigree and her ranking, which caused opponents to choke. Besides the brief clay run she made, she was in shitty shitty form.

Yeah right, these excuses are too good :lol:

Pops Maellard
Jan 19th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Another great thread by Twatron. :yawn: