PDA

View Full Version : Safina: Why Beating Her Always Feels Like Kicking Someone While they Are DOWN

tennisbum79
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Is it just me, does anyone else has this strange feeling about Safina bad losses?

It always seems to me, regardless of her ranking or the opponent's ranking for that matter,
that beating Safina always gives off that uneasy feeling of someone being kicked while s/he is down.

She always seems to be victimized by predators.

Whenever I watch her matches, this sick feeling always take over

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Dinara has won 60 60. She knows both sides of this. So does Kim who lost 60 61 last AO.
It happens.

hdfb
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I think it means, you've become a Dinara fan.

Claycourter
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM
:secret: She regularly got embarrassed when she was #1 too.

Safina was never talented to begin with, she got her rank in a mug era, winning mug events. Choking away at least 2 slam finals, no wonder she is regarded as worst #1 in history.

tennisbum79
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Dinara has won 60 60. She knows both sides of this. So does Kim who lost 60 61 last AO.
It happens.
Yes, it does happens to everybody.

But there is something different about Safina when she takes this kind of beating.
It seems unfair. I don't know how to explain it

I feel a gradual, inevitable, helpless certainty of something bad is about to happen just before it does

tennisbum79
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:12 PM

That is the cruelty of it.
Even the #1 ranking did not buy any security.
She was always the prey, and all other lower ranked players were the predators.

new-york
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Cause she's always so down on herself.

shap_half
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Like when she called herself a chicken during the RG final against Sveta. It's a pathetic display of insecurities.

azinna
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM

Yes, Dinara very much acts like a big baby. Just like her brother, a former fave of mine. But worse, since she actually whimpers and tears up during the beatdowns. A refusal to grow up. Even her comebacks were child-like enactments of the little engine -- I mean sister -- that finally could.

By the time she became #1 it started to seem very unprofessional, honestly, and tiring.

Sean.
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:18 PM

Pretty much.

With Safina, it's obvious that she works incredibly hard and wants to do well so badly! She's always had an inferiority complex & self confidence issues. Add to that she comes across as a genuinely nice & friendly person, it's hard not to feel sorry for her.

tennisbum79
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Pretty much.

With Safina, it's obvious that she works incredibly hard and wants to do well so badly! She's always had an inferiority complex & self confidence issues. Add to that she comes across as a genuinely nice & friendly person, it's hard not to feel sorry for her.
That brings up this question
I wonder sometimes what could have been... but NOT in a way most people expect this question to be asked.

What could have been if her brother, Marat Safin did not become successful.
Would she just be a nice person, involved in the sport, but in a teaching capacity?

It seems, like many other nice people, she dreads the competitive nature, the ruthlessness aspect of the sport.
As a results, she always seems defenseless, naively unprepared, regardless of the opponent, her preparation and ranking.

pov
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Is it just me, does anyone else has this strange feeling about Safina bad losses?

It always seems to me, regardless of her ranking or the opponent's ranking for that matter,
that beating Safina always gives off that uneasy feeling of someone being kicked while s/he is down.

I kinda know what you mean. For me I think it's because of a combination of:
- all the crap she took when she was #1
- the fact that she would make it to the finals of a major then become a total head-case
- she had that back injury.

brickhousesupporter
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Yes, I kinda feel the same way. It feels like you are kicking a puppy or a handicap person.

Fuzzylogic
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:52 PM
:lol: I was just thinking the same thing today. I've pretty much gone from a slight feeling of glee and smugness anytime she loses(I never really liked her) to just feeling really depressed and even rooting for her. She was never as good as her ranking, but it's still really sad watching a young player just fall so spectacularly.

Yonexforever
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I was never sold on her talents even when she ascended to Number 1.
I always thought she kinda got there by default... kinda like the last woman standing during a time when Serena was out and NO ONE else stood up, not even VENUS!!
I do feel bad for her, especiually these last 2 losses, especially since its at the hands of "that" Belgian.
That Belgian should remember last year as she makes her comments though... Sharapova has had a 0 and 0 drubbing as well as Navratilova.
For Navratilova though it pushed her to serious heights after that.
Lets hope Dinara doesnt quit as a result.

jimbo mack
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Safina was never talented to begin with, she got her rank in a mug era, winning mug events. Choking away at least 2 slam finals, no wonder she is regarded as worst #1 in history.

Wow, that's kind of harsh lol

I agree she is one of the least accomplished number ones in history (however still a great achievement) but I diagree that events like The Canadian Open, Rome and Madrid are mug events...it wasn't like the Portoroz title was the ONLY tournament she had under her belt whilst she was number one.

RenaSlam.
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:09 PM
She has millions of dollars. I don't feel too sorry for her.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
She has millions of dollars. I don't feel too sorry for her.I agree. She is a successful pro athlete. She seems healthy now.
She made millions, won Tier I's. She's not a great player, but a successful one.
Like Petrova.
There's no reason to feel sorry for them. They're doing fine.
Dinara can keep playing MM's until she starts winning them, maybe then her confidence will come back.

Just Do It
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Dinara was always a solid player, she had one good but short period of career. She is done as a top10 player.

jimbo mack
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I agree. She is a successful pro athlete. She seems healthy now.
She made millions, won Tier I's. She's not a great player, but a successful one.
Like Petrova.
Dinara can keep playing MM's until she starts winning them, maybe then her confidence will come back.

you cannot compare her to petrova...dinara has been SIGNIFICANTLY more successful....like 3 slam finals and olympic silver and number one ranking. Petrova, although a very accomplished player herself doesn't come close to dinara's achievements

brickhousesupporter
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Like Petrova.
That is odd. How can a former number 1 player in the world not be a great player?

jimbo mack
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
That is odd. How can a former number 1 player in the world not be a great player?

This

irma
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
She can look as if the whole world is on her shoulders?

and of course she was "bullied" by Serena;)

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
That is odd. How can a former number 1 player in the world not be a great player?Would you say Wozniacki is already great?
I dont know if Dinara will make the HoF, that's for great players.

brickhousesupporter
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Would you say Wozniacki is already great?
I dont know if Dinara will make the HoF, that's for great players.
Absolutely not, but therein lies the problem. The number 1 ranking used to be for great players. No it seems anyone can hold it.

tennisbum79
Jan 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Like Petrova.
Mr Sunshine.

You can always be counted on to see a bright side in any situation.

edificio
Jan 18th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Pretty much.

I agree. But I want to add that it must be hard to be Marat's sister, and she did so well to get a little bit out of his shadow. Now, though, these losses (and her self-beratement) are just sad. Even made me want Kim to give her a game last night. And Dinara takes it so well, really, she always shakes the hand of her opponent and looks straight at them. None of the slap hands quickly stuff.

She really needs a sports psychologist, and then the opportunity to get back into fighting shape. Start over. It's too horrible seeing her lose like that. Luckily, it was from the virtual number one player.

le bon vivant
Jan 18th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Yes, I kinda feel the same way. It feels like you are kicking a puppy or a handicap person.:lol::lol: Because shes pathetic

ExXotikal
Jan 18th, 2011, 07:53 PM

By whom? Jankovic and Wozniacki are worse!!!

As for Safina, I don't feel sorry when she gets smacked the eff down, otherwise I'd be upset on the regular.

Potato
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:05 PM
She took so much shit when she was #1, and you could see how hard she was trying during those slam finals, but simply unable to come up with the tennis that got her there. After that back injury, you can't help but feel bad for her. It's so painful to watch her play, and it's heartbreaking as a human being.

brickhousesupporter
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:07 PM
She took so much shit when she was #1, and you could see how hard she was trying during those slam finals, but simply unable to come up with the tennis that got her there. After that back injury, you can't help but feel bad for her. It's so painful to watch her play, and it's heartbreaking as a human being.
What top athlete doesn't?

terjw
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
No - it's not anything like it. Kicking someone when they are down is malicious and trying to hurt someone for no good reason. Winning a tennis match is what every professional player is trying to do. It's their job. They are playing to win - the whole point of being a proffesional tennis player on thne tour - not to be malicious or hurt Dinara.

Temperenka
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:13 PM

That distinction goes to Jelena. Let's be serious.

tennisbum79
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
No - it's not anything like it. Kicking someone when they are down is malicious and trying to hurt someone for no good reason. Winning a tennis match is what every professional player is trying to do. It's their job. They are playing to win - the whole point of being a proffesional tennis player on thne tour - not to be malicious or hurt Dinara.
You totally missed the point of the thread.

The Dawntreader
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Why is this collective wave of sadness around TF for Safina's decline? These things happen, no need to all become emotional wrecks as a result.

It's unfortunate that Safina is where she is, but worst things have ruptured the game than Safina being double-bagelled at a major.

terjw
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:47 PM

You totally missed the point of the thread.

Well you should make yourself clear then what exactly is your point.. Line by line in your 1st post here are my feelings about how it seems based on the facts of my post that she isn't being kicked when she is down:

Beating Dinara does not give me a feeling of her being kicked when she's down because she isn't being kicked when she's down as I explained in my post.
She doesn't seem to me to be victimised by predators because she isn't. She just loses to other players. They are not predators and they did not deliberately set out to play her. They were simply drawn against her.
Whenever I watch her matches - a sick feeling does not take over. A sick feeling takes over if a player I'm a fan of loses - that's all. There's nothing special about you being sick for Dinara compared to the feeling for any other player I am a fan of.Yes - there's a touch of it being a shame for any player on a losing streak. But that's tennis. I have no sympathy for meladramatic over the top statements of sickness for Dinara being kicked when she's down. I've used all my feeling of sickness on my own favourites thank you.

justineheninfan
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:44 PM
I dont feel sorry for her. She has already had an amazing career for someone of her marginal talent level even if she retires tommorow. She will go down as one of the biggest overachievers in tennis history to do the things she has- take the #1 ranking for awhile, make 3 slam finals. She is by far the least talented player to ever be ranked #1, including Jankovic, Ivanovic, and yes the dreaded Wozniacki. It is in fact unfathomable how someone of such limited skill (relatively speaking) could ever attain such a thing. She should have never been anymore than a top 20 player who reaches maybe a few slam quarterfinals. Her reaching #1 is something that happened by accident through a large series of circumstances. To put it into perspective someone like Kimiko Date is obviously far more talented than Safina if at 39 she can regularly beat Safina even in her worst slump, and yet even she never reached a slam final or any higher than #6 at her peak.

I think her biggest problem was reaching #1. Even she I am sure knows she had nowhere close to the talent level, game, weaponary, or mentality to handle such a spot. To be ranked #1 and yet have Serena, Venus, and all the big girls be able to flick you away as if you were a little fly has to be difficult psychologically. She knew how far in over her heard she was. She just imploded since then knowing she had reached heights that were so far beyond her true abilities it set her into panic mode.

it-girl
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Yes it is because when these tennis players go thru a slump the entire world can see the fall and it can make it even harder especially when you can see your name being drug thru the mud just from a google search alone. Safina has endured a lot in a years time because of this back injury and I think the fact that being dropped by adidas could not have come at a worse time. Every triumph & every failure is publicly known and then you have to go out in front of people to play and knowing the type of person Safina is when it comes to pressure, she is very uncomfortable on the tennis court nowadays.

Yet she still goes on the best she can only to fall short again and I am sure this match with Kim has done some damage to a player who has already been feeling hopeless. She mentioned if she could not do any better that she would retire. She may not have been the best player in the world but she has been a very talented player and if she had not suffered this injury she would have much better results than she has had lately.

I do feel sorry for her because things seem to be getting worse instead of better. I really hope that she does not give up.

VishaalMaria
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I don't feel sorry for her.

Whenever I watch her matches, she just gets TOO down on herself and her opponent feeds off that negativity.

I watched SOME parts of her match against Kim and she had chances to win games! She'd hit a great shot and then dump a forehand into the net, seemingly without trying.

Experimentee
Jan 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I don't feel sorry for her. She has already achieved greater results than what her talent would warrant. She also comes across as a complete bitch off court, from what I have observed with her fan interactions.

Craig.
Jan 19th, 2011, 12:17 AM
Not really. She's overachieved tbh, and I've never really liked her. At all.

She sure has been unlucky recently though.

shoparound
Jan 19th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Dinara was a very unlucky scapegoat. Had it been Ivanovic that got to the finals against Serena, semifinals against Venus, she would have been the worst the #1 (which she should be)

Pops Maellard
Jan 19th, 2011, 01:41 AM
Poor Din Dins. :sad:

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 01:56 AM
Dinara was a very unlucky scapegoat. Had it been Ivanovic that got to the finals against Serena, semifinals against Venus, she would have been the worst the #1 (which she should be)

Ivanovic and Safina played each other in a slam final and Ana kicked her ass. That already seperates them. And as for your other suggestion Ana beat Venus in a slam on hard courts on the way to 1 of her finals. She destroyed Maria (yes on clay but a slam semifinal) to make the other. I am no Ana fan but Ana was a superior player to Safina, atleast before becoming #1 where she collapsed worse than Safina, but the tennis she played to get there was easily better than anything Safina has ever produced.

Ana has played a peak Justine in a French Open final which is just as tough or tougher as playing Serena or Venus in a slam semi or final, and got her ass kicked similarily and people still recognize as a better player than Safina.

goat
Jan 19th, 2011, 01:58 AM
I shouldn't of come into this thread..
All this Safina bashing.:awww::drink::scared:

tennisbum79
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I get your point about Safin having overachieved.

However, that is not the topic of the thread.

When I watch JJ, Ana, both of whom have been No 1 and have struggled at times facingomuch lower ranked player, I don't came away with the same impression of helplessness that is often painfully served at Safina's matches

Somehow, Safina matches are very often gut wrenching to watch.
Even against lesser opponents, you see her leading comfortably, then some little thing goes wrong. And that will trigger in her such a disproportionate negative reaction that if you didn't know the score, you would think she was losing badly. Then all goes south when the emotions take over.

Then, against players of her own level, coming off good results, she falls totally apart. Venus, Kim, Serena, Ana, Justine, etc..

tennisbum79
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I shouldn't of come into this thread..
All this Safina bashing.:awww::drink::scared:
It was not intended to take direction, but it hard to control a thread.

indicapuja
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:35 AM

you mean jelena, right?

DS.Fan.
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Yes it is because when these tennis players go thru a slump the entire world can see the fall and it can make it even harder especially when you can see your name being drug thru the mud just from a google search alone. Safina has endured a lot in a years time because of this back injury and I think the fact that being dropped by adidas could not have come at a worse time. Every triumph & every failure is publicly known and then you have to go out in front of people to play and knowing the type of person Safina is when it comes to pressure, she is very uncomfortable on the tennis court nowadays.

Yet she still goes on the best she can only to fall short again and I am sure this match with Kim has done some damage to a player who has already been feeling hopeless. She mentioned if she could not do any better that she would retire. She may not have been the best player in the world but she has been a very talented player and if she had not suffered this injury she would have much better results than she has had lately.

I do feel sorry for her because things seem to be getting worse instead of better. I really hope that she does not give up.
when and where she mentioned if she couldnt do any better,she would retire????? i'm happy if she chooses to have a good rest for some days but Retire.I cant accept it at all.Maybe i'll accpet it after some years but now impossible!I believe Dinara she cant give up easily whatever she has to do.

justineheninfan
Jan 19th, 2011, 02:47 AM
Then, against players of her own level, coming off good results, she falls totally apart. Venus, Kim, Serena, Ana, Justine, etc..

You lose me completely when you refer to players like Venus, Serena, Justine, and Kim as "players of her own level". :lol:

tinabelz
Jan 19th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I feel for Dinara, seems like she's going through what Ana went through. Hope she'll get back, l0ng way back n0w outside the top 100. Would be a happy ending if she'l start winning again... Wish her well