PDA

View Full Version : The Female Contenders for 2011 Australian Open

laurie
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Slideshow I did:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/576041-the-female-contenders-for-2011-australian-open

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Why is Stosur considered as a contender in many articles about the AO ? :confused:
She lost to Groth in straights and to Kuzzie before the AO.

Jajaloo
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Why is Stosur considered as a contender in many articles about the AO ? :confused:

I wouldn't consider her a contender, nor a threat. But she's a top 5 seed and she's made a grand slam final in the past 12 months, which is why others might.

laurie
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:58 PM

I agree with you actually. That's why I put her in the really outside contenders category and not a main contender.

What surprises me is Sam's modest record on hard courts, you would expect her to do well on that surface with her serve but she does much better on slow clay where she has more time to set up her shots.

Volcana
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I would not consider Sharapova a main contender.

Her results last year: Slams - 1r 2r 4r 4r; her only two tournmanent wins were at the Internationale (220,000) level; And with a full schedule, 16 tournaments, her ranking is only #16. There's no 'there' there.

I'm willing to treat 2010 for Sharapova like 2006 for Venus and Serena, but this is definitely a 'show me' year. An outside contender, a la Stosur, maybe. But I would have expected to see Li Na on the contender list, rather than Sharapova.

laurie
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
I would not consider Sharapova a main contender.

Her results last year: Slams - 1r 2r 4r 4r; her only two tournmanent wins were at the Internationale (220,000) level; And with a full schedule, 16 tournaments, her ranking is only #16. There's no 'there' there.

I'm willing to treat 2010 for Sharapova like 2006 for Venus and Serena, but this is definitely a 'show me' year. An outside contender, a la Stosur, maybe. But I would have expected to see Li Na on the contender list, rather than Sharapova.

Grand Slam tournaments can be different, players who have the experience of doing it before can go far. I think Li is a good player and could do some damage but I'm not sure I would consider her a contender. But yes, Maria is no more than an outside contender at this stage.

But that's the strange thing about this year's Aussie Open, anyone can win and there are hardly any favourites.