PDA

View Full Version : AO R1: Ekaterina Makarova sends [19] Ana Ivanovic packing, 3:6, 6:4, 10:8.

Pages : [1] 2

Vartan
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Ivanovic says breakup affected her game

Ana Ivanovic says she feels good about her chances at the Australian Open.

The (Sydney) Sunday Telegraph

Updated Jan 16, 2011 1:20 PM ET

Serbian tennis star Ana Ivanovic says her split from her longtime love, Australian golfer Adam Scott, affected her game, The (Sydney) Sunday Telegraph reported.

On the eve of the Australian Open, the talented Serbian player told the newspaper her on-court performance suffered after the breakup in the middle of last year.

During the slump, her ranking fell outside the world top 50, and she lost in the opening round of Wimbledon.

"It's tough," the 2008 French Open champion said. "I think it's better not to mix professional life and personal life, although that's hard. If you're happy in your private life, that will affect your tennis, and that will help you, actually.

"While you want to pursue your career 100 percent, I think it is very hard to give 100 percent in something else."

But the 22-year-old, who has dropped 11 pounds and has returned to form — her ranking is up to 17 — is thankful for the experience and says she is optimistic about her Australian Open chances.

"I believe it is possible to win it,'' said Ivanovic, a finalist in 2008.

http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/Newscore-Ana-Ivanovic-split-with-golfer-Adam-Scott-game-suffer-011511?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxsports%2Frss%2Ftennis+%28F OXSports.com+News+for+TENNIS%29

http://i46.tinypic.com/4kcg1z.gif

Lin Lin
:eek::eek:

Cakeisgood
Average quality for the most part, but soo freaking epic. Makarova choked A LOT, but she finally closed it out with a solid FH winner.

At least it was better than that crapfest on RLA.

Ana, I'm sorry. :sobbing: :hug:

SVK
Congrats Katya:sobbing::)

Sp!ffy
Ana....

Like, what the fuck? It's as if she wanted to stay out there.

Pasta-Na
fist fist :sad:

ElusiveChanteuse
Both former finalists in last 2-3 years are out!:eek:

Ana :o :tape: Play even worse in each set.:rolleyes:

Makarova :eek:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:09 AM
wow that was awesome :woohoo:
Katya ;) :banana: :yeah:

Smitten
:lol: These last 4 world #1s. There are just no words.

Marilyn Monheaux
:sobbing:

InsideOut.

Ana :smash:

claypova
YES YES YES !!!! :eek::woohoo:

Katya AMAZE :inlove:

cellophane
Eastbourne GOAT prevails

Mikey.
The fuck?! :hysteric:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Jeez you type fast!!!

Ekat, sMACKEDEROVA and OVA and OVA again. :p

Ana believes she can lose in the first.:rolleyes: How about another waste of energy fistpump?? :rolleyes:

madmax
poor Baby Anci:bigcry:
So unfair...

~{X}~
Sad for Ivanovic. :(

tenn_ace
KATYA ====== NERVES OF STEEL!!!! :worship:

ciprianned
:(:(:(

Six Feet Under
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:10 AM
AJDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111 11111111

Ekat, such a great win for you :D
Didnt let Ana's fistpumps get to you well done on holding your nerve! :cheer:
Especially after all those wasted MP's, i really thought that Ana was going to take it for a while.
Hopefully this will give her some confidence :cheer:

saul1333
Epic Mp's

Good stuff Katya :yeah:

hankqq
It's sad how much nerves can affect someone :sad: :sobbing: :bigcry:
another setback :shrug: Hopefully Ana will just hit the practice courts and come back stronger.

Makarova just dug in and didn't give up. She took the chances Ana gave her.

M.P
damn it!!!
know it gonna happen!!!

Derek.
Ana never dies. :o

VeeJJ
I wanted to go to sleep 2 hours ago!!!!! Katya wtf took so long. 6 match points. Some of the UE u were making were ridiculous. But Katya deserved to win fo sho :cheer:

Adje Away Ana, Adje Away

Sexysova
AJDE! :cheer:

Serenita
:o

Inger67
Omg. I actually feel bad for Ana. She played great when being down match points :sad: and it sucks because she never even had a chance to serve it out at the end, Makarova will hold easily and there left Ana trying so hard to fight. Ugh. I wanted her to make a run here.

matty
Poor Ana--shake it off, it's only a a tennis match.

~MashyOwnThemAll
get out! :bounce:

Makarova :eek: :worship: :bowdown:

Kim's_fan_4ever
That pathetic smash on SP in the second set pretty much descibes Ana's game in this match. Pretty sad to go out like this in the first round. But thanks for fighting till the end Ana :sobbing:

Grats Makarova. I really like her game, she did well today although she should have won earlier when she had 3MPs in a row :)

TS
BFFs Dinara and Ana out.

Nice handshake though.

mauresmofan
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Great match well played ladies hard luck Ana seperating from Heinz has not been fruitful so far

DefyingGravity
It's just like...Ana really can't play a plan B. It's all or nothing, which is great when she's playing well. But when she isn't quite there, it can really be a night mare. Like I said earlier, she went on a walkabout in the 2nd set and the whole match just got taken from her control. She was setting up Makarova left and right and her shots didn't have sting. She tried to fight back the control, but she let it go. She took her foot off the pedal, and it was her play that has caused her to feel this way.

I will say this though, that is the most positive I've seen her after a loss. She actually said something to her opponent rather than just quickly get off the court.

ElusiveChanteuse
Caro and JJ won in straights.:shrug:

black_fire
Amazing play for Makarova :rocker2: So glad she didn't choke after Ivanovic saving 3 consecutive MPs at *4-5 0-40 !

Epic!!!

btw, Ana was gracious in defeat. Nice handshake.

Alex72
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN62PAKoBfE

:banana:

pancake
LOL OP you're so mean.
I don't really like Ivanovic, but gonna give her credit for her fighting spirit. She was down love-40 at 3*4 and 4*5 and managed to saved all the bps/mps and held.

Keadz
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Makarova made a fan out of me, despite the choking and the good fighting by Ana she just kept going for her shots. Can't believe some of the angles and depth she was able to create when she was on the run and stretched off the court. Great stuff from her and congrats on the huge win.

Ana wasn't even that bad, she did well to cope the endless barrage from Makarova. Just slow down with the fist pumps, fine towards the end of the match but it was almost every point she won! Nice exchange at the net though :)

danieln1
:vomit:

Ana was injured, out of match practice, she will get over this... Why every gucking unknown journeywoman has to play always ger best against Ivanovic?? But it was her fault, she played like a top 150 at most, ridiculous to see... Back to sleep now

By the way, Ana was is the classiest player along with Venus, she even smile at the end holding back tears :sobbing:

smokovec
Ajdeeeeeeee Ekaterina!

Ivanovic looks hot in this outfit but I prefer that she watch the rest of Australian Open in tv instead of playing it. :devil:

Pirata.
Katya :eek:

Ana :wavey::lol:

Maryamator
Great match!

Congrats Makarova she played great with a lot of winners

Ana was great herself but her unforced errors let her down at times

Despite her loss, i think ana will have a good season this year.

Makarova held her nerves at the end, she deserves a lot of credit for that.

Andy.
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:13 AM
WOW that a high drama battle that was. So so so entertaining. I cant beleive I was pulling for Ana to win. I actually feel really sorry for her. She was so fearless down match points and fought hard but it wasnt enough. The best match of the tournament so far.

GoofyDuck
I wish Heinz guenthardt never had to go, he is the only reason she got better..

anway, i guess her injury still stopped her from playing better on serve?

Andrew Laeddis
http://67.55.70.141/soupnazi/images/the_soup_nazi017.jpg

No fist pump for you. :haha:

matty
:hatoff:Brutal first round! Good night

Edy.
This is so f*cking sad :( I just can't believe she lost after saving superbly all those MPs :(

doni1212
I'm proud of her for fighting and saving 5 match points. She needs to work a lot on her serve!

Nico_E
:haha: princess Squeeky

all those stupid fist pumps and leg lifts in the world still dont get you out of these type matches :wavey:

Mary Cherry.
I couldn't post in the live score thread for the last few games, it was that tense :tape:

Really glad Makarova came through after choking a gazillion opportunities beforehand. Most players would've imploded after that.

thegreendestiny
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Another Grand Slam Wooden Spoon for Ana! :bounce:

Mightymirza
ughh.. Lets hope it was just due to injury not the mental thing again.. :o

pascal77
her coach used to be the coach of Graf. So it's time to dump him right now.

goat

My dad was singing this while we were watching it but singing Makarova :help:

TS
Ana said "good luck" at the net. Nice to see some good sportsmanship.

Pirata.
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:15 AM

:lol:

Raz0r
Pretty disappointed. Ana had so many chances and she blew it :mad:

pedropt
Can't believe :sobbing:

BepaMaria
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Poor Ana. I feel really sorry for her. I'd rather she lost like Safina 6-0,6-0 instead of playing such an epic and come out on the losing end. She was the better player today and really should have won:shrug:. However, she was just too passive and pushed on breakpoints, which caused her downfall:o. I hope this defeat doesnt shatter her confidence too much.

Cakeisgood
Ugh. I hate seeing Ana play badly. I really don't want to like her, but she's so damn sweet and nice and pretty.

I don't even have a reason to dislike her, with her playing so shittily.

jisung
Sad for Ana :sad:, perhaps she should not go to Hopman Cup

debby
OMG LMFAO Baby Anci

But I must admit that Makarova really played above her average level and KUDOS to both of them for fighting so hard !!!!!!!!! Ana would have won against another journeywoman, but she didn't get lucky that Makarova obviously wanted this match like she would die after a loss ..... really I was impressed at how they fought, we don't see that often on the tour.....

I am sure Ana will bounce back ^^

silverwhite
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I don't think Makarova choked at all. Ivanovic played some incredible points to stay in it :shrug:

Deja vu with the net on one of the MPs :spit:

Cleffa
At one moment I thought this is gonna be the WTA version of the Isner-Mahut match but good that Makarova ended it and she deserves to win. Breath taking match and best match so far.

Reps for Ivanovic too for not choking in this nerve wracking situation trying to stay in the game.

Slutati
Ana :sad: Such an exciting match though. Ana left her heart out there today but it wasn't enough. And she was still so lovely at the net. :hearts: What an awesome girl!

indicapuja
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Ana :sobbing:

Russians are bad match-up for Ana at Australian Open

2007 3r lost to Zvonareva
2008 F lost to Sharapova
2009 3r lost to Kleybanova

and now lost to Makarova :sobbing:

Pops Maellard
FML. :sad:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Oh my heart... I haven't felt like that watching WTA matches in a while (probably because I'm used to seeing my faves lose easily :o ). Don't know what to say, only caught the last two games of the match. Great handshake from Ana though, she's no Wickmayer. ;)

Lachy
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Big lol. Ana is so defensive now. Get out. Well done Ekaterina, too good :worship:

Cp6uja
:smash: for tactic and passivity, but big credit for fighting spirit.

It's not end of the world for Ana for sure, but also worst possible start of the season.

claypova
Makarova was choking like crazy :tape:

Ana was hitting winners on all of the MPs. Katya never choked

The Witch-king
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:21 AM
http://i26.tinypic.com/2z7quk4.gif

What's with the pushing, boo?

I knew it was over when she started fist pumping at the beginning of the second set :o

tommyk75
Somewhere in Australia at this very moment, Ana is crying her pretty eyes out... So sad to think... But, yeah, Makarova really played well. Ana needs to learn to hit rallying shots; right now, everything's either a winner or a slap into the net.

benbest
Good work Katya

TennisPlayingFox
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM
YES EKAT!!!!!!!! Such an epic match! Ivanovic came up big on the first few match points and I was not sure if Ekaterina would be able to close. Thank god!

tenn_ace
Ivanovic actually did not play that badly, but Katya was just better moving her around and dictating most of points in set 3 and set 2

Morning Morgan
Now that she has paid back her karma debt to Dechy in this match, I believe she'll be on an upwsing.

PLP
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Wow, Ana looked really good in patches, shame she turned to stone at inopportune moments. As long as she keeps a good attitude about this loss, she should bounce right back.

Awesome win for Makarova, she is very talented.

Geertvg
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Wow. Ana. That's shocking.

kyk710
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:24 AM
I love how Ana's fistpumps have more stages than Bartoli's service motion. Seriously though, that was fun to watch. Makarova deserved to win, Ana just didn't have enough to close her out tonight. The AO has already had a few exciting matches - I can't wait to see what is in store the next 6 rounds.

silverwhite
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM
At one moment I thought this is gonna be the WTA version of the Isner-Mahut match but good that Makarova ended it and she deserves to win. Breath taking match and best match so far.

Reps for Ivanovic too for not choking in this nerve wracking situation trying to stay in the game.

That thought briefly crossed my mind... then I realised it was WTA and someone was bound to blink :lol:

RandomShot
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Ana played well when she was down MPs.

Makarova :yeah:

The Witch-king
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Ana was hitting winners on all of the MPs. Katya never choked

Just because your opponents hit winners doesn't mean you didn't choke. It could be that she was tentative and tight on the matchpoints giving Ana opportunities

And I'm pretty sure she didn't hit winners on ALL the MPs.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Really entertaining match. Ana clung on with all her might and really even though she lost she can hold her head high with that effort. I think Ana is in the best form she has been in since winning RG 2008, and while she still has a long way to go before she can consider herself a bone fide Grand Slam contender again, she does look like she really is at least top 20 standard again and I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see her finish 2011 in the top 10 despite this setback.

Commiserations to Ana and her fans but I would say it's not the end of the world. Ana will be fine. ;)

As for Katya, well, she really is something isn't she. With Slava now, officially at least, a Kazakh, I think Katya has now pretty much established herself as my favourite active Russian. She has so much going for her. Great fighting spirit, a great range of shot making skills, nice volleys, amazing angles, and unlike so many other Russians out there she really uses her brain well. And I love that smile and her exuberance. Probably the 2nd best smile in the game, after Slava. Well done Katya, you're good. :bowdown:

InsideOut.
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM
Just because your opponents hit winners doesn't mean you didn't choke. It could be that she was tentative and tight on the matchpoints giving Ana opportunities

Actually, she did. :rolleyes: Except the last one, of course.

claypova
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:28 AM

I watched the match, it was pretty much big serve+big forehand all the time from Ana on match points. if it were errors, they were forced

Brooks.
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Ivanovic is so brainless out there. I can't believe she was ever a good player, when she plays like that. Her forehand isn't nearly the weapon it used to be either.

silverwhite

Spoken like someone who didn't even watch the match :lol:

osseous
Makarova! :woohoo: Ana. :hug:

DragonFlame
Dunno what ana was doing there(i watched from 4-4 in the third), but it looked like she had no plan at all. She was just going through the motions, no initiative until she was matchpoint down. Then she smacked a few winners like she was winning easily only to play motionless again after that. :help:

Good from makarova though, she didn't collapse at all after ana brilliantly hit the matchpoints away. She just kept her cool and kept making her shots/serves. Well done.

spencercarlos
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Great match, Ana was giving her heart out today, running a lot, playing really great while down. Makarova is just the kind of player that can hurt Ivanovic, because she retrieves really well, and can actually hit well on her own...

Tough draw i guess.

cocco80
:heartbroken:

Noctis
I thought she would win after 4-5 0-40. Meh

Six Feet Under
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I love how Ana's fistpumps have more stages than Bartoli's service motion. Seriously though, that was fun to watch. Makarova deserved to win, Ana just didn't have enough to close her out tonight. The AO has already had a few exciting matches - I can't wait to see what is in store the next 6 rounds.

:hysteric:

Smitten
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Van Grichen. :lol:

All Ivanovic does is ballbash now. Completely forgot that she is able to come to net or do anything other than low percentage shotmaking.

MBM
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Thank God she actually got it! She wouldnt have slept for weeks if she hadnt converted one of those match points. Very up-and-down play from both but glad to see Ekaterina win :P

hardball
what an epic battle. i did think ana was gonna win it after defending those three consecutive MPs. well done makarova!

DragonFlame

She did lol. Makarova couldnt do anything about that, she did really great in keeping her head cool. Ana hit great 1st serves and a 2nd hit winner on all of them.(what her old game used to be) She really brought out the best in her, matchpoint down, only to play motionless after that again. :o

AnDrEi.b
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Ana what a shame :sad:

Pops Maellard
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:36 AM
:hysteric:

Oh STFU, can't you just be happy she lost? :weirdo:

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Right :lol: did Ana forgot how to come to the net? There were a few points where she'd hit a strong forehand and then just stood there..

Brashkoala
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM
ana needed to serve better and attack ekaterina's second serves more. end of story :)

The Witch-king
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Spoken like someone who didn't even watch the match :lol:

Gosh do you remember every single point from every match ?? :confused:

I just remember Makarova being useless on those points... or maybe I'm confusing them with the deuce points where she would smack the ball into the net or let Anci dictate.

Brooks.
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Can Ivanovic please learn how to hit three or more proper backhands in a row? That shot is just terrible.

Cakeisgood
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Gosh do you remember every single point from every match ?? :confused:

I just remember Makarova being useless on those points... or maybe I'm confusing them with the deuce points where she would smack the ball into the net or let Anci dictate.

You're completely backwards.

Makarova played GREAT on the deuce points, only to have Ana whack shit away on the MPs, or Makarova hitting waaay out on most Ads on her serve. It was really bizarre.

The Witch-king
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:43 AM
You're completely backwards.

Makarova played GREAT on the deuce points, only to have Ana whack shit away on the MPs, or Makarova hitting waaay out on most Ads on her serve. It was really bizarre.

Either way Ivanovic lost.

ZODIAC
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:44 AM
so is she going to fire the coach hehehe,she was playing great but those fist pumps must have been bugging Makarova a lot and actually motivated her.
I used to like Ana s demeanor on court and dont like the bratty throwing tantrum Ana.
this is not Bali!!

Nina.
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:44 AM
For once Ivanovic wears a great outfit and she goes out in the first round.
Congrats to Makarova, well played.

peanuts
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Sadness. :sobbing: As much as I wanted Ana to win, I felt that after getting those MPs, the match was on Makarova's hands to win. She was just playing with more steadiness and consistency than Ana.

nevetssllim
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Katya. :eek: ;)

JadeFox
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Oh Ana. :hug: I hope this doesn't discourage her.

And Makarova did play better overall so well done to her.

BlameSerena
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Disaster central for Ana. Looks like the match was fun to watch from a competitive standpoint, but again, glad I didn't stay up for this match either.

doktor
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Poor Ana.

Please don't go away after this, keep at it you'll get better

~Cherry*Blossom~
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:54 AM
lol

Safe-From-Harm
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
I knew. When Ana starts to talking that she is exited, that she is gonna win this thing, she loose in the next round.
I got a feeling that she loose to much energy to fistpumping and screaming, cause I see in the end of the match her energy was on low level/ she didn't even screamed AJDE/.

ZODIAC
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I dont think she has self belief,all those fist pumps are a smokescreen.When was the last time she reached a slam qtr final,years ago 2008 to be exact..in other words she is overated.The media puts down Venus as a finished player and yet she has reached finals and semis more than overhyped Ana Woz and pova in the last three years.Right now Ana needs a boyfriend really bad,to make good love to her after such a bad loss.

gc-spurs
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Oh so gutting, but oh so fun!

Chance
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I dont think she has self belief,all those fist pumps are a smokescreen.When was the last time she reached a slam qtr final,years ago 2008 to be exact..in other words she is overated.The media puts down Venus as a finished player and yet she has reached finals and semis more than overhyped Ana Woz and pova in the last three years.Right now Ana needs a boyfriend really bad,to make good love to her after such a bad loss.
:lol:

Ana fought bravely on those match points, shame she lost. However, I thought she was too defensive. It's only the start of the season, so many more opportunities in the year to make up for this.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM
8bUzLHsvjOk

it-girl
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I think people are underestimating her health. She had an ab tear and had to change her starting date to allow more time. I was very critical of her but the fact that she was not going for her shots as much and depended 85% on defense and counter punching is a red flag. I don't believe she was able to hit the big winners on a consistent basis because it requires your core and clearly she was not doing it for a reason.

I really don't think this was a typical trouble with her nerves match because she has been playing much better and has more confidence. I just think that she was not 100% and probably should not have played. I am actually glad that Makarova won because this gives Ana more time to recover.

Ana will have more success if she can stay healthy because she showed fight tonight even against the odds. So take this time to recover Ana so that you can improve your 2011 season.

silvamarius
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Good job, Makarova

Daniel
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Ana :help:

Horizon
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:26 AM
lol

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:27 AM

LMAO

So true, I don't even understand why everyone forgets Venus and Justine but they are still better than Ana, Woz and Pova, which is worrying given their age difference :tape:

Tuckii
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Wow Ana i'm just shocked :tape:

MarieC
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Well this sucks

Princeza
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ana :sad: Such an exciting match though. Ana left her heart out there today but it wasn't enough. And she was still so lovely at the net. :hearts: What an awesome girl!

:sad:

Spiritof42
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I only saw the final set from 4-3, but that was easily the most exciting ending to any women's match I've watched recently. Well worth getting up in the middle of the night for. :)

There were of course some nervous moments and easy misses, but overall it was high-intensity, high-quality drama. Tremendous effort from both players, who gave it everything they had. My hat's off to them. :hatoff: I never expected Makarova to hold it together so well after missing so many chances. As for Ivanovic, although she must be extremely disappointed right now, I feel she's on the right track. This was a marked improvement compared to her previous early-round exits in Slams, in which her game (not just her ball toss) was often a complete mess. This time, she battled bravely and saved tons of break points (including a handful of match points) late in the match with some great forehands and gutsy serving. Makarova had the advantage of serving first, so as long as she was able to hold serve Ivanovic had constantly her back to the wall, and sooner or later she was bound to run out of lives.

It's a shame the match wasn't played on Rod Laver Arena. All the pre-match hype was on Clijsters vs. Safina (and what an embarrassment that turned out to be), but this was the one to see.

Forgot to add: I was impressed by Ana's defense. She's never looked so lean, so I guess better movement is the payoff...

Sean.
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:43 AM
So much for the comeback.

Calypso
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Oh dear, Ana!
How heartbreaking!

Polikarpov
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Very tentative and passive from Ana especially on her forehand. The serve went AWOL at the third set too. It's actually pretty comical how she would take huge whacks at the ball down match point, but then revert to just rolling the ball in. In the end, I believe those tons of breakpoints Ana failed to convert in the second set ultimately cost her the match. She shouldn't have let it gone into a third set. The only positive I can get from this match is that Ana moved damn well for her standards. You could see that her fitness training really paid off.

But credit Makarova who most of the time, fearlessly creamed the ball hard flat -- the type of shot which troubles Ana the most. And being a lefty, she exploited Ana's backhand with her serve, and during crosscourt exchanges.

bandabou
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM
wow..good result for Makarova. Hopefully this loss won't send Ana in another tailspin.

fouc
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:50 AM
wow that's so sad. haven't seen that but the last game is on youtube and Makarova played out of her mind there. Hope she'll go far, that's gonna be some consolation. Very respectable handshake from Ana under difficult circumstances, maybe it's gonna change some press about her sportsmanship here.
8bUzLHsvjOk

Beat
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
funny result.

Pops Maellard
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
wow that's so sad. haven't seen that but the last game is on youtube and Makarova played out of her mind there. Hope she'll go far, that's gonna be some consolation. Very respectable handshake from Ana under difficult circumstances, maybe it's gonna change some press about her sportsmanship here.]

In '07 she won the Sportsmanship Award. The idea she has bad sportsmanship only exists on TF.

Rafito.
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I just wanted to cry as I was leaving the stadium. It's one of the most heart breaking matches I have ever experienced :bigcry: After saving all those match points I was hoping for a magical ending.

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:57 AM
had a feeling ana would lose this one, called it when the tournament started :sad:

Horizon
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
LMAO

So true, I don't even understand why everyone forgets Venus and Justine but they are still better than Ana, Woz and Pova, which is worrying given their age difference :tape:
The media only hypes Ana, Maria and Caro because they're all young and sell stories, newspapers etc
This forum and the bookmakers always rate Venus and Justine top 5, I wouldn't exactly say theyre forgotten.

Either way I didn't see the match because I wasn't in the mood to get up so early but I'm not really shocked. By the sounds of it it was a great fight so kudos to Ana I suppose, hopefully a lot better than the Kleybanova loss :lol: And not many points lost :hug:

Well done Kayta.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:01 AM
In '07 she won the Sportsmanship Award. The idea she has bad sportsmanship only exists on TF.

I've always admired Ana for her sportsmanship. But she did give bitchy handshakes a la Wozniacki (Beijing) which probably gave those people on TF to hate. :lol:

SELVEN
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Ana I know you tried your best :tears: never mind ,tomorrow is another day.:hug:

ce
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:09 AM
:help:

Potato
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Who cares, she won Linz and Bali! :worship:

Sorry to her fans :hug: really must be heartbreaking after a great end to last year :(

Setsuna.
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:12 AM
This is ........... I have no words for this shit really.:tape::help:

Richie's
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Adidas sisters Ana and Daniela join former sister Dinara and went for a drink on Round 1 :lol:

The 2nd Law
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I only caught the tail end of the match unfortunately. I think this loss hurts more than any I can remember in the last 2 years :( Proud of the way she fought, but obviously there is just so much work to do.
Don't give up Ana.

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:21 AM

this. some delusional people in here.

John.
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Wow - Congrats Ekat

I thought Ana could have made a good run here

it-girl
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:28 AM
This is a player that Ana beat 6-3 6-2 at last years US Open before the stomach tear. I just think she was so passive because of that and I don't belive this loss will hurt her as much as everyone thinks it will because Ana knows that she came into this tournament with issues. The only thing she can regret is getting injured again right before the Australian Open.

Once Ana can play some tournaments with no injuries the results will come. We all know how long Venus was affected by her ab tear.

MaBaker
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:33 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/2zojamt.gif

Valanga
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:36 AM
As long as Ana doesn't overdo her fistpump and Ajde, her tennis is a joy to watch.
Commiseration to all the Ana fans. I believe she will bounce back in time for IW/Miami, and RG.

Sharapovian
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM
:sobbing: :sobbing: :sobbing:

Shinjiro
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Arse. Not a great night for me, that one. :sad:

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Ana's presser :sad:

Q. It looked like you had some problems with easy points, not with the hard ones.

ANA IVANOVIC: Well, I thought it was tough match. I mean, she played extremely well. She didn't give me much.

You know, I really try my best out there today. You know, a few points here and there decided. And I created enough of chances for myself in that second set in particular, but couldn't convert them.

But, yeah, you know, it was just a little bit of footwork lacking towards the end of that third and that was pretty much what decide it.

But I think she played really good match today.

Q. Were you disappointed with any part of your game?

ANA IVANOVIC: Uhm, well, I was really fighting hard. It was tough at moments. I think in the second set at one point I was a little bit too passive. But, you know, what really I think got to me in the end was fitness, you know, just not being able to stay with her in a longer rallies. That was really disappointing.

Q. Why is there a lack of fitness? Lack of match practice more than fitness?

ANA IVANOVIC: No, I mean, I was really unlucky. For the last 10 days I couldn't push hard in practice because of my abdominal strain. I had really Sunday and Monday that I could push a little bit more and the first couple days that I could actually serve. I think that at the end got to me. It's a 10 day strike before the slam.

Q. You're saying your legs weren't there at the end?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, because, you know, energy wise I felt good, but it was just that few little extra steps that were lacking. It makes a big difference because it makes a difference whether you can put something on a ball or not.

And, you know, she stayed tough and she was hitting the ball really fast. I mean, I tried to step up still, but there were a few errors that creeped in. But still, uhm, yeah, I thought it was tough match.

Q. Do you feel you can push your way back up to the top of the rankings?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, definitely. I'm certain about it. This match, this loss is tough. But I had a lot of positive things come out of this match. I really stay positive throughout the whole match. I gave my best. That's all I can ask for.

You know, today she was better. All credit to her. But, uhm, I still have lot of room to improve and lot of things to build on. And I certainly still believe I can get back to top 10, and I believe I can do it in this year.

Q. That last point of the second set, the easy smash into the net, it cost you the set. How do you get that out of your mind?

ANA IVANOVIC: Well, it was not that shot that cost me the set. It was the whole game that I played lousy. My serve didn't really have much on it in that game and I made few easy errors. I was not really thinking much about that smash. I mean, that smash was lack of footwork. It was not that point that cost me the set.

Q. Do you feel kind of mental pressure going back to the top 10?

ANA IVANOVIC: No, actually not. I mean, I think that's why this match today was really good because I really was not nervous and I managed to control it and managed to overcome that, you know, just play for each point and not, yeah, feel negative energy. And that's why I think I can learn a lot and take a lot of positives.

Q. But did you feel mental pressure when you were No. 1 in the world?

ANA IVANOVIC: You do feel pressure. But, you know, now actually this moment I want pressure because pressure actually makes you perform better I think. And also if you know how to deal with it, it can work for you instead of against you.

Also, when you have pressure, it means you're in a position to do something good. Actually in this moment, I didn't think I would be saying, but I do want pressure.

Q. Is your stomach okay now and are you going to be able to do the hard work?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, I'm going to definitely still do the recovery work that I've been doing. You know, I have lots of tournaments coming up, lots of things to look forward to.

But, like I said, I really feel my game is coming together and, you know, lots of positives came out of this match today.

Q. When you came off court, were you thinking, Bad luck, I was in good form, started the year well, got the injury. Had it not happened, maybe I'd be walking out of Australia next week rather than today?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, definitely, and that's what's hard.

Q. You played some wonderful defense. You stood off six match points. How do you feel about that?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, maybe I should have played that kind of tennis when I had chance to go up and not when you are back against the wall.

Like I said, I really tried to hang in there and fight and try to look for opportunities. I didn't have too many of them, but I did have some even in that third set. Just disappointed I couldn't convert them.

Q. She looks better than her ranking, too. Assess her game a little bit.

ANA IVANOVIC: She played a lot better than she did in New York. She was very aggressive today. You know, throughout the match I felt like she was getting in a rhythm more and more and she was hardly making any errors. Her serve was at a really high percentage today.

She's definitely a tough, tough player. I mean, last year when she won Eastbourne, she beat a lot of good girls within the week, so she's definitely a dangerous player.

If she loses next round, I'll be really upset (laughter).

Q. She made you chase a lot of balls. She got a lot of balls back in return. Were there times when you thought you had a winner and you had to hit an extra shot?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, definitely. Also sometimes was very low. I was really surprised that she could get to that ball and still put a lot of margin on it, a lot of power and bite on the ball. That was hard. Made me work for my points much harder.

Q. If you had to pick two players who could win the tournament, who would they be?

ANA IVANOVIC: Probably Kim and Venus.

Q. Venus?

ANA IVANOVIC: I haven't actually seen her play. But she's always a contender. And Sam has been playing some good tennis lately.

Q. Not Justine?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, she's up there in the mix. But I think it's just, you know, players who can step up and be more aggressive when it matters.

Q. What do you think of Caroline Wozniacki?

ANA IVANOVIC: I think she's a great young player. Yeah, I mean, she can, you know, challenge any girl out there. Like I said, it really depends who can handle it the best and who can step up when it's the most important.

Q. Especially in the third set you had a lot of crowd support behind you. How do you feed off that energy in the stadium?

ANA IVANOVIC: That's very helpful. I mean, it was great to see lots of Serbians as well and lots of support, which is always nice. It really got me fired up and fighting in that third set. So I'm really thankful for that.

Q. You served second in the last set. Time after time you had to hold your serve to stay in the match. Is it fair to say 12 months ago the set wouldn't have lasted that long? Do you have more confidence this time this year compared to last year?

ANA IVANOVIC: It was hard, because towards the end of that third set I was lots of time facing 30 Love and 40 Love on my own serve. That's a little bit disappointing. I maybe shouldn't have played first few points of a game that loose.

Then again, I'm managing to save these, you know, breakpoints and match points, it does give you confidence. And then, you know, you're a little bit more relaxed after a tough game. It's hard to step it up again and threaten her service game. So I think that was the big issue.

Q. Are you definitely playing Fed Cup this year or one tie at a time?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, I'm really not sure now about the upcoming one. I still didn't decide.

Q. Because of the abdominal?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, because of that and also schedule. I have to talk also to my coach and see what's the best, yeah, schedule and preparation I can have.

Foot's Fingers
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Katya :woohoo: Entertaining match to watch and glad she not choked even trying ;)

homogenius
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
So she is really fit, she is believing...but it's still not enough.

Just Do It
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Did Ana waste a MP ?

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:46 AM
^^ Very good honest interview ^^

дalex
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Makarova is a tough 1r draw for a seed. Congrats to her.

Baby Anci :hug:

The 2nd Law
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Ana :) The press conference made me feel better. Great to hear that from her.

F-R-E-A-K
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Ana :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

goldlion
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Did Ana waste a MP ?

No she didn't have MP, she just wasted a BP in the third set at 5-5 30-40 and that's the only chance she had in the final set although she was leading 3-1 in the beginning.

Juju Nostalgique
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Holy tits!!! :eek: :bolt:

Wasn't she supposed to win this AO? :tape: :tape: :tape:

Ana... :smash:

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Makarova won Eastbourne beating one top 20 after another.
I think Katya was motivated by a point at 44 in the 2nd when Katya had 2 let cords & Ana won the point & raised both hands like she had won a boxing match.

That would have motivated me, & Katya kept the focus & took out another top 20 player.

Joelina
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hantuchova, Ivanovic, Safina :sobbing: there are some clouds over the previous finalists and semifinalists, hopefully it´s not going to rain over Maria or JJ. :rain:

So Disrespectful
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I totally started the Makarova song.

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Q. If you had to pick two players who could win the tournament, who would they be?

ANA IVANOVIC: Probably Kim and Venus.

Q. Venus?

ANA IVANOVIC: I haven't actually seen her play. But she's always a contender. And Sam has been playing some good tennis lately.

Q. Not Justine?

ANA IVANOVIC: Yeah, she's up there in the mix. But I think it's just, you know, players who can step up and be more aggressive when it matters.

Wow :spit:
So Venus is a contender, but not Justine... whilst Justine is a 7 time Slam winner as well, and unlike Venus, has never lost to Ivanovic, let alone a set if we forget Sydney 2008 :rolls:
And what is even funnier is that Ivanovic says she can win the AO after she lost to Henin at the HC, and now she says Henin could be in the mix but who doesn't step un when it matters ? You gotta be kidding me !

Claycourter
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Baby Anci :tears:

Losing to a journeywoman she should have roasted in her sleep. Bad for the game.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Sorry Ana, I love you, but thats what you get when you try to flirt with my Andy.

The 2nd Law
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM
So Venus is a contender, but not Justine... whilst Justine is a 7 time Slam winner as well, and unlike Venus, has never lost to Ivanovic, let alone a set if we forget Sydney 2008 :rolls:
And what is even funnier is that Ivanovic says she can win the AO after she lost to Henin at the HC, and now she says Henin could be in the mix but who doesn't step un when it matters ? You gotta be kidding me !

Trollby :lol:

Ana was asked who she thought will win, and she answered. That part you underlined you have misinterpreted, she is including Justine as one of those players who can step it up.
But your trolling is disgusting lately. Ana doesn't have to kiss Justine's ass, she choses Venus and Kim :p

Kworb
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Yes Makarova!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2s8s09f.jpg

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Ana was asked who she thought will win, and she answered. That part you underlined you have misinterpreted, she is including Justine as one of those players who can step it up.
But your trolling is disgusting lately. Ana doesn't have to kiss Justine's ass, she choses Venus and Kim :p

Well, she has said "but" so maybe it does include Venus, Kim and Sam, not Justine.

I am not trolling, it is true. Not my fault if Ana is kinda annoying lately with her fistpumps, her "I believe I can win the AO", and her fans who hate on Justine because she has an elbow injury but are using Ana's injury as an excuse. I don't say I don't believe her, but these Anci fans are disgusting.
And see, I can understand why she chose Kim, Kim is the big favourite and is a friend. Totally normal.

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Exactly.

Debby, you obviously didn't understand what she said. She gave 2 names when asked about the possible winner (choosing the players, I will be free to interpret, she would wanna see holding the trophy). When reminded about Justine, she agreed she was also "in the mix for the title". She wasn't downplaying Justine's chances, so please don't try to stir things up.

Shinjiro
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
As long as Ana doesn't overdo her fistpump and Ajde, her tennis is a joy to watch.
Commiseration to all the Ana fans. I believe she will bounce back in time for IW/Miami, and RG.

Thanks. What a lovely thing to say :hug: though I do think her fist pumps are never mean spirited.

The 2nd Law
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Well, she has said "but" so maybe it does include Venus, Kim and Sam, not Justine.

I am not trolling, it is true. Not my fault if Ana is kinda annoying lately with her fistpumps, her "I believe I can win the AO", and her fans who hate on Justine because she has an elbow injury but are using Ana's injury as an excuse. I don't say I don't believe her, but these Anci fans are disgusting.
And see, I can understand why she chose Kim, Kim is the big favourite and is a friend. Totally normal.

Ana says "but" a lot, it's the way she talks. You've mistinterpreted her.
And telling us all that the annoying Ana fans have made you sick pretty much tells me that you're trolling to get back at them.
People questioned Justine's elbow, because she played her form down SO much and then played amazing in the Hopman Cup. DO NOT compare Ana to that, she got injured, pulled out of two tourneys (one she had a major chance of winning with Novak) and played one the most passive matches she's played today, so the effects of her injury are there to be seen by all.
Justine maybe shouldn't try to play herself down so much. Not doubting her injury btw.
Actually saw Juju practise today, she was looking great :yeah:

The 2nd Law
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Thanks. What a lovely thing to say :hug: though I do think her fist pumps are never mean spirited.

The girl doesn't have a malicious bone in her body.

azinna
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM

No words, indeed.

AnomyBC
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:44 AM
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY!!!!!!!!! All my favorites had been doing so well and Ana looked so promising at the end of last year :sad:

The Witch-king
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:45 AM

Why are you so obssesed with whether people think JuJu is going to win? :weirdo:

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Ana says "but" a lot, it's the way she talks. You've mistinterpreted her.
And telling us all that the annoying Ana fans have made you sick pretty much tells me that you're trolling to get back at them.
People questioned Justine's elbow, because she played her form down SO much and then played amazing in the Hopman Cup. DO NOT compare Ana to that, she got injured, pulled out of two tourneys (one she had a major chance of winning with Novak) and played one the most passive matches she's played today, so the effects of her injury are there to be seen by all.
Justine maybe shouldn't try to play herself down so much. Not doubting her injury btw.
Actually saw Juju practise today, she was looking great :yeah:

Oh my bad then, I don't usually read Ana's interviews, then. :yeah:

Well, you are right about it :lol: but I never question players' injuries, that's why I got annoyed. Of course, Ana was bothered by her injury, because of that she could not train, and trainings take a big part in a performance. That's obvious. She wanted to win the HC with Novak, I don't think she withdrew for fun.
As for Justine, she is OK with that, but her elbow will never heal at 100%, so one day, she will fall because of it. 6 months to heal it at 100% again? A bit too much. Nothing to do with Ana but her injury is real. :yeah:

Oh practise and match are two different things. :lol: I remember it happened to Ana last year, she had some great practise sessions then awful matchs. :tape:

Ballbasher
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:48 AM
:speakles:
I honestly thought Ana would have a great shot at winning the title.

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Why are you so obssesed with whether people think JuJu is going to win? :weirdo:

Well, I said in another thread Venus should not be overlooked. :)
The old guard has not died yet.

The Dawntreader
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:49 AM
As random as it gets.

Think it's safe to say all the 'ANCI is Bck!!!!111' propaganda was a bit premature, to say the least.

дalex
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I didn't watch the match (hopefully there'll be a replay on ES), but some people say Ana was pushing, others are saying she's bashing without a plan B. What is it? lol

I think it's interesting that Ana's been talking a lot lately about her movement, fitness. She obviously trimmed down too. Her serve is a fluky shot. It seems like she's developing into a completely different player, and I'm not sure she's going in the right direction...

thegreendestiny
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Yes Makarova!

http://i37.tinypic.com/2s8s09f.jpg

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad20/HighPrice831/lol/879vukn.gif

Ellery
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Katya :hearts:

Betten
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Not entirely unexpected.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I didn't watch the match (hopefully there'll be a replay on ES), but some people say Ana was pushing, others are saying she's bashing without a plan B. What is it? lol...
It was a decent level of play. Katya makes way too many errors, & should have finished it off at 64 in the 3rd. Katya was the better player, & chances after chances until she finally closed it out.

Ivanovic lost weight like Sharapova, but they still are lousy movers.

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Katya :hearts:

I don't see Makarova in your sig, but I'm sure she's in your heart. :lol:

Ellery
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:14 PM
I don't see Makarova in your sig, but I'm sure she's in your heart. :lol:

There a lot of players I like who aren't in my sig, darling. :)

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
It was a decent level of play. Katya makes way too many errors, & should have finished it off at 64 in the 3rd. Katya was the better player, & chances after chances until she finally closed it out.

Ivanovic lost weight like Sharapova, but they still are lousy movers.

So don't you think Ivanovic moved well today? :confused:
I thought she was moving kinda well but settled herself bad to hit some shots.

goldenlox
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Tsurenko is next for Makarova. I dont know her game.
But I expect Nadia-Katya for the chance at Kim.

I think Ivanovic used to move better. That's my main worry with Safina. Errors can be corrected, but speed matters.
Wozniacki carries weight but moves much better than these former #1's.

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
There a lot of players I like who aren't in my sig, darling. :)

Of course, my dear. I would never question your undying love for this Makarova GOAT. :hearts:

debby
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:21 PM
I think Ivanovic used to move better. That's my main worry with Safina. Errors can be corrected, but speed matters.
Wozniacki carries weight but moves much better than these former #1's.

Then how to improve the speed ability? :shrug:
Ivanovic has lost 5kg (11 pounds) in order to move better , but I guess slimming down doesn't make you speedier.

CWTennis
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Oh Ana! :sad::hug:

Freshi
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:29 PM
i do not know if Ana is once again among the top 5

Vincey!
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I really thought it was Ana's comeback GS in the 2nd week at least. that's too bad for her, really she was playing well lately.

helio_c
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:36 PM
This seems as hard fought as Daniela's match. I'm sorry for Ana.

I'll say that outfit is jinxed :o

ExXotikal
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Say what!!! :( :( Noooooo!

Didn't Ana stomp her in NYC last summer? A hot mess!

Temperenka
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Oh poop. :sad:

Ana :hug: Don't lose any of the confidence you gained at the end of last year now :(

Should've won this one...

Oh well. Congrats to Ekaterina. She's dangeous.

colt13
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Great match. I saw the first 2 sets last night, and the final today. Ana's fans should not be too down. She is close to being on form, Makarova was just better. Would not be surprised to see Ivanovic have a big run at the next two slams.

Huntress55
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Ana :sobbing::hug:

Pops Maellard
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Great match. I saw the first 2 sets last night, and the final today. Ana's fans should not be too down. She is close to being on form, Makarova was just better. Would not be surprised to see Ivanovic have a big run at the next two slams.

:rolleyes:

Vikapower
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Then how to improve the speed ability? :shrug:
Ivanovic has lost 5kg (11 pounds) in order to move better , but I guess slimming down doesn't make you speedier.

Yes it can or does (...) Andy Roddick had that exact same process to gain speed and succeed.

Mish
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM
only …

Ana Ivanovic didn't wheel out her trademark fist pump after almost every point. Fair enough if you play a great shot, but a fist pump after a lucky net cord or your opponent makes an unforced error?

That is on AO site... Sooooo right this man is...

Cinek
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Makarova :bounce:

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Ajde!!!!11111

Polikarpov
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:13 PM

Why are you so pressed?:spit::happy: It's highly unlikely that Ana keeps track of Justine's and Venus' slam records, head-to-head against her etc. She just probably told the reporters the first names that came to her mind.

Maria Croft
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Wow, shame I missed such an epic early round match.

VIKA?
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
oh shit:sobbing::sobbing::sobbing:

jefrilibra
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Is this forreal???? :haha:

I CAN NOT! I really CAN'T!

AcesHigh
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Again... predictions that Ana is back and then this....

Anyway, better luck next time. Just shake it off.

doooma6816
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:38 PM
WTF?!
I had to go to school after first set, I thought it would be in straight..;o
Ana played well lately and now this?! She could make at least 4rd round ;(

Ekaterina congrats...!

mariavikafan
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM

What?

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:00 PM
What?

:lol:. Nevermind. Some delusional people in here.

danieln1
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
:lol:. Nevermind. Some delusional people in here.

I kind of lost hope too, but she was injured, that can take a toll in her agressive game...

but she was just a hot mess today, even wake up 6 AM to watch this shit... hopefully she can win the slam in Pattaya city, since is the only tournament the number 2 in the world has won last year! :haha:

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:12 PM
wow.

roelc
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:15 PM
i saw bits of the first sets and ana was playing really well!
did not expect this result.

she shouldnt give up

cocco80
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I kind of lost hope too, but she was injured, that can take a toll in her agressive game...

but she was just a hot mess today, even wake up 6 AM to watch this shit... hopefully she can win the slam in Pattaya city, since is the only tournament the number 2 in the world has won last year! :haha:

No excuses this time. That injury is a non issue. Had she played better, she wouldn't have lost.

Pattaya :sobbing:

GrandMartha
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:21 PM

no need to take a dig at Bepa. She made tons of finals as well, about which Ana could only dream.
and save this mocking till "the slam in Pattaya" is over because you'll look very stupid if Ana can't even win it :rolleyes:

LUVMIRZA
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:33 PM
too bad she went down so early:o

SAISAI-GOAT
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I thought Ana said she was winning the AO :hysteric:

RenaSlam.
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
:tape:

ClijstersGOAT
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:01 PM
At least Ana smiled to her oponent at the net, that's quite rare among losing players.

Super Dave
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1649756 (http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1649756/don.html)

égalité
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Amaze :hearts:

FORZA SARITA
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:08 PM
best result of the day :drool:

puppy777
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Ana :crying2:

PatrickRyan
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Great fight from Ana! Those forehand's to save match points :hearts:

Roookie
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Ana deserved to lose...she did good to fight...but could not do nothing to Makarova's serve...her movement was really poor.

andrewC
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Yes Ekat! Good for her. :banana:

V-MAC
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:31 PM

Well, Ana and Vee were practising together before the tournament began. Perhaps they are BFFs now:inlove:
Anyway, this match was very entertaining in the latter stages of the final set. Full props to Makarova for being so mentally strong when all those match points were slipping by, and indeed to Ana too for coming up with some of her best tennis when match point down. Even that last point was intense..took a superb winner from Makarova to finally seal victory.

Talita Kumi
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Shit!

Natash.
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Ana :sobbing: :sad: Did not want these two players to play.

Katya :worship: Such effortless hitting. Great fighting in the second set, saving BPs. Never thought she would go on to win the entire match though.

Dominic
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I saw about 5 minutes of this match and it was a bunch of groundstrokes in the net by Ana and an impossibly easy smash missed.

timafi
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:50 PM
:hug:Ana

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
:bigcry:
Makarova played great but Ana where were you? You shouldn't be playing defense and scrambling for balls every point. STEP UP ANA!!! :mad:

Renalicious
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Whenever Ana plays a Katya in the first round of a slam she loses :sad: (Bondarenko, now Makarova)

Stevecw
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:30 PM
:sobbing: Heartbreaking loss. Poor Ana :(

Mistress of Evil
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Ajde why :bigcry: Why did you injure yourself just before getting it together. :sobbing:

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:42 PM
It seems like this was a very entertaining match ;)

Maka :yeah:

Ana :hug:

matty
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Great interview--she seems really positive--hope she keeps rising in the rankings--I think she can get in the top 10 again--the pressure is on other players, now--not her.

Dodoboy.
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:52 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/21nhzl0.gif

Fun second set though, sad I couldn't watch the last set! Ana was playing so so well, really surprised she lost the second, even more surprised she lost the match. Real disappointing, such a cruel game this!

Ferg
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Eastbourne GOAT :bowdown:

Maybe this will sober up some of the Ana fans.

GoofyDuck
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Eastbourne GOAT :bowdown:

Maybe this will sober up some of the Ana fans.

:confused:

MiiMo
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Didn't she say she was gonna win this one.
Yeah, sure, she meant the first set of the tournament. Objective reached.

sammy01
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
congrats to makarova.

ana is still a mess when it counts

Joana
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Didn't she say she was gonna win this one.

No.

Fantasy Hero
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:42 PM
i'm sorry for Ana as i kinda like her, but this was definetly really funny :lol: i mean, didn't she say she was a contender for the title or sth like that? :lol:

justine schnyder
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:58 PM
shocker! :eek: