PDA

View Full Version : WTA and Net Clearance

DefyingGravity
Jan 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Watching Ivanovic play Makarova and just watching in general so far this year, has the net clearance issue always been this bad? They're trying to skim the ball over the net and it's not working that well for either one of them. Watching people like Clijsters, Henin, Stosur, and Schiavone, they look to clear the net. I feel like more of the girls are starting to skim the net. Is there a specific reason as to why? I can't even really imagine the Williams sisters hitting it THAT flat. Serena especially has more topspin over the years. You'd think that more women would actually try the whole topspin thing.

Andy.
Jan 18th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Yeah add more net clearence then we can have a tour full of boring clay court style pushers like the ATP tour.

In all serious my personal prefecnce and taste has always been towards flat hitters. I find the players that use a lot of topspin less interesting to watch. I really dont like how a lot of the men (Roddick, Djokovic for example) have turned into these boring heavy topspin pushers and they are just a few exaples. I hope the womens game does do that way.

DefyingGravity
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I mean, I would say add at least A margin to the game. You can still be aggressive and still have topspin, look at Henin, Stosur, and Clijsters. I just think there has to be some sort of...idk....ability to get into rallies even when you aren't playing your best. This is just craziness what we've come to in some of these matches.

The Witch-king
Jan 18th, 2011, 08:23 AM
We need a tour of Wozniackis :worship: