Droolv
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Solid start Sam, well done :banana:

TS
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Welcome to the big leagues Lauren :wavey:

Sp!ffy
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:44 AM
It's so weird watching someone so experienced against someone so young and new.

That's why I love the grand slams. :inlove:

oleada
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:45 AM
That was hard to watch. Never seen Davis before, but she was totally overwhelmed in every which way by Stosur. Can't say by watching this one match, where she probably was overwhelmed, but being so small, I don't know how much future she has in pro tennis.

SM
Lauren is just too small to make an impact with the girls at the top of the WTA tour, I can see why she has achieved a lot in juniors though as she's pretty solid and consistent.

Rome
GD she was hitting the ball big well done Sam

goldenlox
Davis might be smaller than Vives. She did well to see a main draw

Keadz
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Sammy's best and easiest win in her grandslam career apparently. :) Congrats and keep up the good form.

Lauren :( Tough draw for her, but hopefully a good experience. Her groundstrokes are pretty solid, particularly her backhand. She could have a decent career.

RenaSlam.
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM
Davis should just play college tennis.

sammy01
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:50 AM
i had never seen lauren before and frankly she is too small and doesn't have the build to compete on the tour.

sam was completely unthreatened.

Smitten
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Davis should just play college tennis.

Once you go pro(if she is actually accepting the prize money) you cannot play college tennis.

Stosur was her usual self. First flat hitter will pick her off.

Wiggly
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Lauren should've gone to college.

makirilenko
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:51 AM
I hope Lauren can grow and mature from this loss. I didn't expect her to win, but getting experience from this will be helpful as she gets older. Hopefully she isn't done growing physically, because she is so tiny and it really affects her play against the powerful players like Sam.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Sammy was hammering the ball out there today :eek: Congrats on the win :yeah:

Lauren :hug: Even though she got smoked, i hope she still enjoyed her time in Austalia :). She's still pretty young, i hope she can grow a couple more inches. It's going to be so hard for her to battle against todays big babes of tennis at her 5ft 2" stature :awww:

tennisforadults
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Once you go pro(if she is actually accepting the prize money) you cannot play college tennis.

Stosur was her usual self. First flat hitter will pick her off. Whipping serves and forehands past stranded opponents.

There, corrected.

This is what Lauren said before the match...

"I haven't lost a match in four months,"

"I know I can compete with these girls in Australia and beat a lot of them, and I think I have a good shot against Stosur.

"She has a really strong forehand and good kick serve, but my friend Madison Keys has a really good kick-serve to the backhand, and I'm used to that. My backhand is strong, and I'm going to take it early."

Reality check, Miss Davis.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Good win Sam :yeah:
They finished 3 matched in 4 hours :help: And Molik vs Vinci was placed on CC now :sobbing:

Huntress55
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Sam :yeah:

darrinbaker00
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Whoever advised Lauren Davis to turn pro should be shot. Unless she has a serious growth spurt within the next year or two, she'll be lucky to have a double-digit ranking.

simonsaystennis
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:14 AM
There, corrected.

This is what Lauren said before the match...

"I haven't lost a match in four months,"

"I know I can compete with these girls in Australia and beat a lot of them, and I think I have a good shot against Stosur.

"She has a really strong forehand and good kick serve, but my friend Madison Keys has a really good kick-serve to the backhand, and I'm used to that. My backhand is strong, and I'm going to take it early."

Reality check, Miss Davis.

What did you expect her to say? "I think I'm going to go out there and be demolished." She had the right attitude going in.

Lauren :hug: I hope this was valuable experience. Work hard, like I know you will, and good luck the rest of the season. I'm so proud of you!

goat
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I felt bad for Davis, my friend in Australia said that the Australian commentators were just riping into her. That's not fair, does anyone remember young Williams Sisters - granted they won matches but who goes to the Australian Open with the intention to lose. She showed confidence and I applaud her for that.

Well done Sammy, nice and compact you were pretty fierce.

claypova
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:19 AM
nice start Sam :yeah:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM
Whoever advised Lauren Davis to turn pro should be shot. Unless she has a serious growth spurt within the next year or two, she'll be lucky to have a double-digit ranking.

Why? She's the #4 junior player in the world, won a 25K last fall, and beaten a few top 200 players (including a 6-2 6-2 win over Vandeweghe at the wild card playoff). She's probably never played in front of more than a few hundred people before this match and has never even played a top 100 player, let alone somebody of the caliber of Stosur. Anyone who thought she was going to make this competitive is foolish.

Even if her tennis career ends up not working out, she's hardly thrown away the chance to go to college. There are tons of universities around the country who would give their right arm (and a full ride) to have a top 5 international junior player serve as an assistant coach.

Kevin.
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:29 AM
Why? She's the #4 junior player in the world, won a 25K last fall, and beaten a few top 200 players (including a 6-2 6-2 win over Vandeweghe at the wild card playoff). She's probably never played in front of more than a few hundred people before this match and has never even played a top 100 player, let alone somebody of the caliber of Stosur. Anyone who thought she was going to make this competitive is foolish.

Even if her tennis career ends up not working out, she's hardly thrown away the chance to go to college. There are tons of universities around the country who would give their right arm (and a full ride) to have a top 5 international junior player serve as an assistant coach.

:yeah: Jamea Jackson is now an asst coach and student at Oklahoma State University!

tennisforadults
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM
What did you expect her to say? "I think I'm going to go out there and be demolished." She had the right attitude going in.

Lauren :hug: I hope this was valuable experience. Work hard, like I know you will, and good luck the rest of the season. I'm so proud of you!

I agree with having self-confidence. She should be confident, having been on a 27 match win streak... All I'm saying is that she has had a reality check - having to return one of the best kick serves ever vs returning a good kick serve from a friend.

Novak was more arrogant when he first burst onto the scene, but look at where he is now. Lauren has a very bright future.

darrinbaker00
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Lauren Davis is a 17-year-old girl with a 13-year-old girl's body. She would have been better served physically, emotionally and professionally by playing Division I college tennis for four years. As it is now, she'll probably end up being the female Donald Young.

oleada
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:40 AM
And at 17, she's unlikely to grow much taller. Plus, she's not only short, but she's short with a relatively small frame. She's in great shape, her arms look fabulous, but her built is not one that will help her in pro tennis.

edificio
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Maybe she'll get a little bigger, but... bad day for her today.

Annie.
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Watching Stosur play nearly bored me into unconsciousness.(as it normally does)
It didn't help that her opponent--and I use the term loosely was a non factor.

DemWilliamsGulls
Jan 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM
And they hyped this american up as if she was going to challenge Sam Stosur...lets face it America, Venus and Serena are our only hope for anything on the mens AND womens side. Good try though to the young buck...hope she improves...

darrinbaker00
Jan 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
And they hyped this american up as if she was going to challenge Sam Stosur...lets face it America, Venus and Serena are our only hope for anything on the mens AND womens side. Good try though to the young buck...hope she improves...

Who's "they?"

AnDrEi.b
Jan 18th, 2011, 06:03 AM
No surprise

MBM
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Tooo easy. Nice to hear the crowd support for Lauren

BlameSerena
Jan 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Expected drubbing.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:23 AM
the way pam pimped this girl i thought something more was to come from this girl :lol:

BlameSerena
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:26 AM
the way pam pimped this girl i thought something more was to come from this girl :lol:

yup. i told my cousin not to be fooled. knew this girl would get routed. they always try to talk up the younger Americans. it's like just let them prove themselves on court.

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Awesome win Sam!! she didn't need to do much which evidently sends a warning out the other players...given the scoreline.

Sharapovian
Jan 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Congrats Sam! :)

Super Dave
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:51 PM
Lauren sure is a cutie :) And I say that in the most fatherly way possible :o

Claycourter
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Awesome win Sam!! she didn't need to do much which evidently sends a warning out the other players...given the scoreline.

Yes, beating a tennis giant like Davis sure sends out a clear message. All the top seeds are shivering in their boots right now :scared: