PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Racket Brands

Spring Pools
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Hi, I know this has been touched upon in the general forums, but I've noticed that many players struggle when they get new racket sponsors. (Djokovic and Wozniacki being the two that come to mind as well as Masha)
What are the main differences between racket brands? I know it differs with the racket itself, but are certain rackets better for different things?

goat
Jan 17th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Often brands make racquets with a variety of attributes however they will maintain a core feel. There are also other things which influence this (strings, grips added extra weight)
So often a player has been practising with a racquet for years and a change will result in feeling of being uncomfortable. hence why alot of the pro men keep their original racquets which they enjoy but get a paint coat over it to market the newer models.

For me when purchasing a new racquet i went from a head flexpoint to a head radical pro. The latter felt alot stiffer making me think I was hitting it on the frame and preventing me to get into my groove. I also tried other racquets imbetween the the swtich Wilson K-factor which had a similar feel to the radical but was much heavier at the top and so the shots were coming through flatter with a slight bend of the wrist at the end of the shot.
Babolat is another racquet I tried which were exceptionally smooth however I would of had to customise it alot to suit my game.

Often racquets are used for players 3-4 years at a time especially in mens tennis (nadal, roddick). PLayers get a new model coat on older models for marketting purposes. When changing the brands the feel of the racquet changes and so they are left with an awkward feeling. Customising the racquets allows them to have similar feel to their old racquets i.e added weights, types of strings, softer grips.

Taking this into account often brands make a variety of racquets and so the feeling of the racquets and the attributes of them overlap. Hopefully this helps. Sorry my english is not great and explaining is difficult.

Stephmeister
Mar 13th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Same challenge here. I really don't know which brand I need to buy. The people at the store advise me, but when I visit several stores the all give me a different advice. I looked at http://www.tenniskleidung.com (it's a German website because I live in Germany)but they show over 150 rackets.. Its very difficult to make a good choice..

larar1chards
Apr 14th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Head size, racket length, weight and string tension are all important things to consider when selecting your racket. Most importantly, the price that you can afford. :) Check this article for guide in selecting a racket. Hope this helps.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Learn-Tennis---How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Tennis-Racket&id=6134099

anies45laura
Jun 29th, 2012, 03:53 AM
If you purchase a superior product from a re-known store you will be able to account for you money or rather the value of your money is worth. As you go round shopping for the best brand you should have enough knowledge to differentiate between genuine products in the market beside the elegant looks. So, I recommend a page that has some of the best brands for your choice: http://www.squidoo.com/great-tennis-rackets. Hope it helps.

tammywilson52
Jul 3rd, 2012, 05:58 AM
I donít know much more about tennis racket brands but I found that Babolat Racket is the best.

Towanda
Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Same challenge here. I really don't know which brand I need to buy. The people at the store advise me, but when I visit several stores the all give me a different advice. I looked at http://www.tenniskleidung.com (it's a German website because I live in Germany)but they show over 150 rackets.. Its very difficult to make a good choice..

A lot of places will let you demo racquets, so you can just take a couple with you to see what you like. Keep doing that with different racquets and you will figure out what works best with your game.

lenusu
Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:19 AM
the main things you should consider are head size,weight and length of the racket and string tension.

hardball
Sep 24th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Head size, racket length, weight and string tension are all important things to consider when selecting your racket. Most importantly, the price that you can afford. :) Check this article for guide in selecting a racket. Hope this helps.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Learn-Tennis---How-to-Pick-the-Perfect-Tennis-Racket&id=6134099

do look at balance if you experience elbow pain. lighter, head heavy raquets have more power but also lead to tennis elbow. you have less elbow problem with heavyer, head light raquets, but then you need to work harder to generate power. also some people prefer stiff frames as opposed to soft. stiff feels more solid and since there is less vibration, again less stress on your elbow.

miffedmax
Sep 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I think that yes, the various brands have distinct personalities that are consistent across their frames. Since I'm a car buff, I'll compare them to those (US variants)

In my experience:

Wilson--the Honda of rackets. They really do pretty much everything well, even if they aren't great at any particular single aspect. Usually have moderately good feel, middling stiffness, if a Wilson isn't your favorite stick it's probably your second favorite stick.

Head--More like old-school Audis. Not to everyone's liking with some just plain weird engineering and feel, but if you like them and know how to control them, they are really good. I haven't played with them much (since I find the hard to use) but they give really immediate feedback--almost too much for me. At the same time, I find them a bit floppy, even the ones that are supposed to be stiff.

Prince--classic 'merican muscle, like a Camaro or Mustang. Floaty, not a lot of feel or feedback, but oodles of V-8 power no matter how crappy your swing is. Even their rackets that are supposed to be "control" rackets are more about power than control.

Babolat--Porsche. Not necessarily super better premium, but just that they take a basic racket (think the 911) and roll out 37 different customized versions of it that all have good stiffness and good feedback, but the power really does range from a 6 cyclinder that's pretty tepid up to triple-turbo charged models. I think that's the reason they're selling so well right now is that anyone can find a Babolat they like.

Just my opinions. The funny thing is another person will contradict everything I say, and be completely right without me being wrong. That's why you have to playtest rackets.

Andy.
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I think that yes, the various brands have distinct personalities that are consistent across their frames. Since I'm a car buff, I'll compare them to those (US variants)

In my experience:

Wilson--the Honda of rackets. They really do pretty much everything well, even if they aren't great at any particular single aspect. Usually have moderately good feel, middling stiffness, if a Wilson isn't your favorite stick it's probably your second favorite stick.

Head--More like old-school Audis. Not to everyone's liking with some just plain weird engineering and feel, but if you like them and know how to control them, they are really good. I haven't played with them much (since I find the hard to use) but they give really immediate feedback--almost too much for me. At the same time, I find them a bit floppy, even the ones that are supposed to be stiff.

Prince--classic 'merican muscle, like a Camaro or Mustang. Floaty, not a lot of feel or feedback, but oodles of V-8 power no matter how crappy your swing is. Even their rackets that are supposed to be "control" rackets are more about power than control.

Babolat--Porsche. Not necessarily super better premium, but just that they take a basic racket (think the 911) and roll out 37 different customized versions of it that all have good stiffness and good feedback, but the power really does range from a 6 cyclinder that's pretty tepid up to triple-turbo charged models. I think that's the reason they're selling so well right now is that anyone can find a Babolat they like.

Just my opinions. The funny thing is another person will contradict everything I say, and be completely right without me being wrong. That's why you have to playtest rackets.

I love these analogies....would love your take on Yonex.

miffedmax
Sep 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Yonex just isn't that big in the U.S., and I've never played with or playtested one of their sticks. I have a friend who uses one but it's a really old model so I don't know much about it.

I personally use a Prince, but I've at least playtested all the ones (or hit with a friends) across a number of multiple models to feel like I can give some feedback on what MY feel for the overall brands are (as opposed to specific models).

I can say I hate my buddies Yonex. But for all I know there are Yonex out there I might like and like I said his is no longer even in production.

Anyway, I'm a big proponent of playtesting for anyone who isn't a complete beginner. No stick will magically transform you from a 3.5 to a 4.0, but the right stick will make you a better, more consistent 3.5 who doesn't end up with shoulder, wrist or elbow problems.

Sammo
Sep 26th, 2012, 06:36 PM

In my experience:

Well said, even if I'm a Porsche stan and hate Babolat :lol:

Aravanecaravan
Sep 26th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Pretty cosmetics aside, I will tell you what my racquet stringer has told me on numerous occasions. He had a stringing room at the Western & Southern Open and strings for many pros, so take it for what it's worth.

He told me that most racquets, regardless of label or "manufacturer" are actually factory produced from the same molds and come from one of a handful of factories. In other words, there are very few actual "enhancements" on them on that differentiate them from one other. The only thing that is really different is weight, balance, headsize, gripsize of some differentiating racquets within the "universal" mold, which racquets are then shipped off to the various companies for "customizing" with flashy paints and grommet systems, etc. There are some exceptions to this obviously--Yonnex makes racquets that are distinct in their head shape, for example. There are others. But many of the conventional big name companies actually have racquets that are no different from one another technically speaking.

He told me that the same thing applies to strings--that basically all or most string is produced by 4 companies in Germany, then sold to various companies around the world who market it under their own names. In other words, Babolat gut is no different than Wilson...

Take it with a grain of salt, but that is what he told me. Like I said, he does string at the pro tournies....

larsson
Sep 26th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Wha brand would be recommended for a beginner?

miffedmax
Sep 26th, 2012, 08:59 PM
My advice would be to buy a decent racket and not scrimp by buying a bottom of the line racket (but you don't need to overspend and buy a $200 one either).

IMHO, there's less difference at the low end than the high end of rackets.

Once you've had some lessons and played for a while, you'll know a bit about the quirks of your game--if you have a long, slow swing, a short fast one, a short slow one, etc. You'll also know if you are a baseliner or want to play an all-court game, and if you're going to play mostly singles or mostly doubles.

All of these factors will determine whether you want a light frame or a heavy one, a stiff one or a looser one, and whether you want the weight up at the top or back toward the handle.

But none of that matters while you're just figuring out how to get the ball over the net. Your teacher or a pro shop person should be able to recommend a good beginner's racket, and then after a few years you can dump it for a more serious stick.

larsson
Sep 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM
My advice would be to buy a decent racket and not scrimp by buying a bottom of the line racket (but you don't need to overspend and buy a $200 one either).

IMHO, there's less difference at the low end than the high end of rackets.

Once you've had some lessons and played for a while, you'll know a bit about the quirks of your game--if you have a long, slow swing, a short fast one, a short slow one, etc. You'll also know if you are a baseliner or want to play an all-court game, and if you're going to play mostly singles or mostly doubles.

All of these factors will determine whether you want a light frame or a heavy one, a stiff one or a looser one, and whether you want the weight up at the top or back toward the handle.

But none of that matters while you're just figuring out how to get the ball over the net. Your teacher or a pro shop person should be able to recommend a good beginner's racket, and then after a few years you can dump it for a more serious stick.

Sinclair
Sep 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Larsson - let me first say that Miffedmax gave some excellent advice! And is also 100% correct about everyone having their opinions of racquet brands without being right or wrong.

I strongly suggest demo-ing some racquets if you can. Keep in mind that it might take months or years to find the right one for you, because as you progress from a beginner level to a more advanced level, your racquet preferences will also change with your improved swing and control. In my experience, Prince was tough on my elbow because it felt very stiff, but it seemed to have lots of power. Head was light and comfortable and fit my hand very well, but although the control was very good, I had less power on the ball. The heavier Babolat is great for me now, but the one I play with requires me to do more of the 'work', which would be more of a challenge if I was just starting. These are not characteristics of the brands as much as characteristics of the individual racquet features.

My point is that every manufacturer will offer a good quality, middle of the road racquet with all-around playability, no matter which logo is painted on it. Like Miffedmax said, there are so many factors - strings, head size, stiffness, weight - until you develop your own style and can identify the elements of your game that are most important to you (spin, feel, power, comfort, etc), I think it's best to shop for one that is best for all-around players. Some of the tennis retailers, like Tennis Warehouse and Tennis Express have "racquet finder" tools that are good for doing research, even if you don't buy from them.

It can be frustrating at first, so if you have a demo program available, use it! Good luck with your decision and also with your tennis! :)

larsson
Sep 30th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Cheers for the advice

I've watched tennis all my life but I have never really thought about playing it until now (I'm in my mid 20s)

I'm kinda nervous as well

KatrinaS
Oct 12th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I donít know much more about tennis racket brands but I found that Babolat Racket is the best.

Yeah I'm the same. Got recommended a Babolat by a friend and haven't looked back since I bought one.

tmc5005
Dec 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I do not worry much about the brand I look at the spec's of individual racquets. Most brands make a few good racquets (http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-racquet)and a few that are not good. I look for racquets with the best feel, touch and control and don't worry about power because racquets built for power are bad for your arm if you want more power get an elastic string and lower the tension. I found a great list of the best racquets for tennis elbow at http://tenniselbowracquet.com/tennis-racquet .
Good luck and keep playing with the right racquet tennis should be a sport for a lifetime!

Payam
Jan 17th, 2013, 09:02 PM

In my experience:

I loved this analogy too and, anyone on Dunlop racquets?

Shanerio
Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
I like to buy Tennis Equipment like tennis shoes, tennis rackets online.