PDA

View Full Version : Why is Dokic always given special treatment in Melbourne?

thegreendestiny
Jan 17th, 2011, 05:58 AM
First, they give her a WC. Now, she and another unseeded unknown player get to play in Margaret Court Arena. :o

2009 was so 2 years ago. She had that whole period to climb up and prove herself again but never did.

Promising young players like Mladenovic, Rus etc had to play qualies. :mad:

adner
Jan 17th, 2011, 05:59 AM
It's simple. She's playing for Australia, she's capable of playing good tennis, she's drawing huge crowds in AO. More than enough.

Josh.
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM
It's simple. She's playing for Australia, she's capable of playing good tennis, she's drawing huge crowds in AO. More than enough.

Ya, plain and simple. No matter how Jelena got to where she is now, she is playing for Australia IN Australia. Its just our nature, we always support our own. ;)

thegreendestiny
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:05 AM
Ya, plain and simple. No matter how Jelena got to where she is now, she is playing for Australia IN Australia. Its just our nature, we always support our won. ;)

The whole world knows she's not really Australian. :sad:

Jajaloo
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:05 AM
The Australian media have hyped her up so much, and she's just another mug. If Groth gets passed the 3R, she'll be the new Dokic.

new-york
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:09 AM
That's what Brits get at the French Open.

Josh.
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:12 AM

If you are going to nit-pick.

Just Do It
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:20 AM
First, they give her a WC. Now, she and another unseeded unknown player get to play in Margaret Court Arena. :o

2009 was so 2 years ago. She had that whole period to climb up and prove herself again but never did.

Do you know that stadium is over crowded and you need to wait like 45 minutes to get in ? She sells tickets, end of story.
Oh, Molik got the same court tomorrow :lol:

nicidle
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I can't believe i am saying this but she's playing quite well atm.

tennisforadults
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Because she's Aussie?

And who is Mladenovic?

AnomyBC
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:54 AM
She's famous and she's Australian (sort of.) Famous players and home players always get special treatment :shrug:

doktor
Jan 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
is this question seriously being asked?

lol, how about paying a bit more attention before wasting everyone's time with useless threads. that court was unbelievably packed out today, not to mention that past history speaks for itself

Pops Maellard
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I'm over her getting WCs every year too, but it is an Australian tournament and her nationality is Australia. I wouldn't expect anything different.

sutho12
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Obvious, us aussies love jelena doing well and she fills our stadiums:)

Mashabator
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Do you know that stadium is over crowded and you need to wait like 45 minutes to get in ? She sells tickets, end of story.
Oh, Molik got the same court tomorrow :lol:

Yep i had to wait for ages! Aussies LOVE their players and will fill up the stands.
Its the same at any GS or tournament!

kittyking
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM
She fills stadiums

Freakan
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:55 AM
WTF are Mladenovic and Rus doing in this thread? :lol: Dokic reached Wimbledon semis when she was younger than these 'talented' players are now, there is absolutely no comparison between them.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Because she is an Australian playing in the Australian Open.

Volcana
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:01 AM
The whole world knows she's not really Australian. :sad:Isn't the crowds she's drawing the answer to how Australian tennis fans feel about that? And isn't how Australian tennis fans feel pretty much the only thing that matters, in this case?

Betten
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Because she is an Australian playing in the Australian Open.

This. The crowd was huge.

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Why can't people understand the appeal of local players? Brings us back to the famous Ivanovic WC thread at the Rogers Cup :sobbing:

MyskinaManiac
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM

She is as Australian as the next person here. The only true Australians are the Aboriginals.

lympyisthebest
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
She's famous and she's Australian (sort of.) Famous players and home players always get special treatment :shrug:

Not sort of. She isAustralian!

austennis
Jan 17th, 2011, 11:20 AM

Being Australian is about more than where you were born.. and over the last few years she has shown both a dedication and pride for her country and has played for us in Fed Cup and represented Aus well. As for why she gets the courts - well i would guess she is in the top 10 for name recognition in Australia alongside the Williams sisters, Stosur, Ivanovic, Henin Clijsters and co and she will draw a crowd

The 2nd Law
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM
In Australia, we don't care where you were born, we'll support anyone who plays for our flag. I guess people from different cultures maybe find this hard to understand.
It makes me very proud to be Australian to see the way the home crowd gets behind the players here :yeah: