PDA

View Full Version : AO Q3: Kathrin Woerle def. Madalina Gojnea 6-3, 6-4

Papillon.
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Is it just me or does Woerle seem to peak in Australia? :lol:

Disappointed for Gojnea, I noticed her name a few times in ITF draws last year and was hoping she'd break through. Also makes Sloane's loss more disappointing... :sad:

alwayshingis
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Queen of AO qualifying. 3 straight years.

shrOOf
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:24 AM
Another GS main draw for Kathrin. :yeah:

Carsten
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM
wow Kathrin... :D she loves Australia it seems :lol: and didn't even lose a set in qualies which is rather surprising :lol:

Randy H
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Kathrin :) Nice effort for her

Gojnea should be one to watch, her comeback into the top 200 has been very impressive, especially considering she was unranked just 9 months ago.

Papillon.
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Kathrin :) Nice effort for her

Gojnea should be one to watch, her comeback into the top 200 has been very impressive, especially considering she was unranked just 9 months ago.

:eek: Seriously? Unranked 9 months ago? I didn't know she'd made that quick an ascension.

Randy H
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:40 AM
:eek: Seriously? Unranked 9 months ago? I didn't know she'd made that quick an ascension.

Yep, she disappeared from the pro circuit in the fall of 2007, and then returned this past April. Very impressive rise back, she seemed like yet another young Romanian who did well at the junior level but tapered off during the transition into professional level. I'm interested to see how far she can go this time around :)

Tennis Fool
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:48 AM
There's an app for that, too :secret:

Romanian Watch.

Andiyan
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Is it just me or does Woerle seem to peak in Australia? :lol:

Disappointed for Gojnea, I noticed her name a few times in ITF draws last year and was hoping she'd break through. Also makes Sloane's loss more disappointing... :sad:

This is actually an amazing achievement for Madalina as RandyH already mentioned. I'm sure she's disappointed about this loss, of course, but all in all it is crazy that she made it so far after not playing for 3 years.

Her story is really sad, you can read it here. http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=17536915&postcount=3

I'm really glad to have her back though, and she will be proud tomorrow of this result. Winning 2 rounds in a GS :worship:

Papillon.
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:56 AM
There's an app for that, too :secret:

Romanian Watch.

:haha: I'll have to pay more attention to these threads. Just read through the Russian one, really really informative.

Thank you for that link, too, Andiyan; I'll definitely pay closer attention to Madalina.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Queen of AO qualifying. 3 straight years.

You said it!!! :bounce:

I'm really so pleased Kathrin has qualified here again. Three excellent performances too, all very convincing wins and all against fine opponents.

Hopefully this time Kathrin can follow it up with a main draw win now. :)

And even more importantly, I really want to see Kathrin use the momentum of this week for the rest of the year. Let's see this be a great year for Kathrin. :yeah:

As for Mada, as others have said she has done a great job this past year starting from scratch and now finding herself comfortably in the top 200. I have no doubt this year will be even better and it won't be long before we see Mada Gojnea's name in Grand Slam main draws.

Including Mada, there are now 9 Romanians in the top 200 and Elena Bogdan and Alexandra Candantu will soon be joining them.

Andiyan
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Including Mada, there are now 9 Romanians in the top 200 and Elena Bogdan and Alexandra Candantu will soon be joining them.

Lovely statistic for such a relatively small, developing country. :drool:

nevetssllim
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Kathrin. :D ;) I really think she should play some of the 25k ITFs in Australia because she always plays well here.

Hian
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Mada :hug:

DaMatz
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM
She has no luck in MainDraw, she will face Azarenka in round 1 :rolleyes:. Hopefully she can show a good match.

But great that she wins in qualifying without losing a set :yeah:

Phil=)
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Very nice Kathrin :).
But she never has luck with the MD-Spots :o