PDA

View Full Version : Who will be the next highest paid female athlete?

it-girl
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:34 PM
The highest paid female athlete always seems to come from the tennis scene and no matter how much the highest paid female athlete makes some one always comes along to surpass it. So what tennis player do you think has a chance to surpass Maria Sharapova as the highest paid female athlete?

I really do think Caro is heading in the right direction because she is the new blonde on the scene that everyone seems to be eating up at the moment. If she can maintain her top 10 status she has a chance.

I also think that Ana Ivanovic can especially with her newly sculpted body. If she can return to the top 10 and win some big events she has a real chance.

A player most people will not consider right off the top of their head is Venus Williams. Venus has slowly turned into a business mogul and is having great success. I really do believe that she will only make even more money.

Then again it could be another player that we don't even know yet.

So who do you think?

Break My Rapture
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Wozniacki will never attain the status that Sharapova has, no one of the WTA Tour ever will IMO. I think Ivanovic has a bigger chance of coming close, she's more known than Wozniacki all over the world even if she's out of the top 50.

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:45 PM
Caro is up to $9 million, says Sports Business Journal.
She needs to stay #1 and win some majors.
If those numbers for Maria are correct, she's tough to catch.

Sharapovian
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM
I don't see anyone overtaking Sharapova for a while. But who knows? :shrug:

duhcity
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:48 PM
None of those Forbes numbers are confirmed by the way.
Caro's on her way. One major, and she'll be huge

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I don't think anyone will surpass Maria as long as she's still active. And even when she's retired she's still gonna make a lot of money, imo.

The closest of the "new girls" are definitely Caro and Ana. I don't follow Caro as closely, but I think I read that she's signed a lot of big endorsements with Proactive, an airline(?) and some other stuff.
Ana hasn't really signed any new deals last year, so I don't know where she stands in the Forbes estimates..

Andy.
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:04 AM
None of those Forbes numbers are confirmed by the way.
Caro's on her way. One major, and she'll be huge
Have you heard her voice?

In all seriousness I think there is room for everyone but I think while Maria is still active and having semi decent results she will be tough to catch. She is semi American which gives her a bid advantage. Plus she has built and brand and has been very selective with whom she works with. Masha is a brand name like Tiger and Beckham results are almost irrelevent now. Masha is more high end I feel like Ana and Caro appeal more to the common man with their girl next door type attitude. They appear to be more attainable/relatable and their deals and promo work reflects that. Therefore they will all continue to get plenty of deals as they appeal to a different demographic.

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I don't think anyone will surpass Maria as long as she's still active. And even when she's retired she's still gonna make a lot of money, imo.

The closest of the "new girls" are definitely Caro and Ana. I don't follow Caro as closely, but I think I read that she's signed a lot of big endorsements with Proactive, an airline(?) and some other stuff.
Ana hasn't really signed any new deals last year, so I don't know where she stands in the Forbes estimates..
I'm very curious as to how much she gets for those deals.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I'm very curious as to how much she gets for those deals.

Google says: 1 million annually for both deals.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/caroline_wozniacki_endorses_skin_care_product/

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/wozniacki_adds_another_personal_endorsement/

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:21 AM

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/caroline_wozniacki_endorses_skin_care_product/

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sharapova_signs_multi-million_head_racquet_deal/?utm_source=Feeds&utm_campaign=Latest+News&utm_medium=rss

So basically Maria's HEAD deal alone is worth as much as Wozniacki's ProActiv and Turkish Airlines deals, anually? :p

Potato
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Maria Sharapova has built herself as a brand. People who don't give a shit about tennis know who she is. She's also a lot more articulate speaker than Caroline and Ana. If Caro wins a slam this year, I can see her passing Ivanovic, but not Sharapova. Sharapova's going to be the highest paid female athlete for a very long time.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:27 AM
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sharapova_signs_multi-million_head_racquet_deal/?utm_source=Feeds&utm_campaign=Latest+News&utm_medium=rss

So basically Maria's HEAD deal alone is worth as much as Wozniacki's ProActiv and Turkish Airlines deals, anually? :p

:p

We don't know if the HEAD deal has any requirements, like, "make the QF of a Grand Slam" or sth alike. :o

I would like to know how much Caro's Yonex deal is worth, though. Yonex is known for paying BIG money to it's stars.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Any pretty girl who steps up in slams and of course winning them.:p

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:34 AM
:p

We don't know if the HEAD deal has any requirements, like, "make the QF of a Grand Slam" or sth alike. :o

I would like to know how much Caro's Yonex deal is worth, though. Yonex is known for paying BIG money to it's stars.
Could it be more than the 45 million HEAD gives Maria? :lol:

Sharapovian
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM

I wonder how much she gets from Adidas. :unsure:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:39 AM

You mean 10 million, right? :lol:

ETA: Can somebody please call the Caro fans to this thread? :rolls: I need info! ;)

Wiggly
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Any pretty girl who steps up in slams and of course winning them.:p

Pretty much .:lol:

Maria had a huge advantage with her incredible story, the fact that she's half-American and that she won Wimbledon when she was 17 years old.

And her team/herself seems like they know what direction they want to go with her brand.

Wozniacki is making a LOT of money for a Slamless girl.
However, her management regarding her sponsors is quite poor.
Rolex and Stella McCartney doesn't match well with Miss Ukraine, Proactiv and such.

That might her image in the future. And going for the Miss Sunshine thing is a risk, as any faux-pas will make the press go crazy over it. She doesn't seems humble, at all.

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:44 AM
You mean 10 million, right? :lol:

ETA: Can somebody please call the Caro fans to this thread? :rolls: I need info! ;)
Oh yeah the 45 million deal was her Nike deal. :sobbing: My bad.

Sharapovian
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM

Nike deal was $70 million.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:48 AM

Nike was 70 million US Dollars. :hearts:

Not that she's ever gonna earn all that, cause I'm pretty damn sure she has to meet a truck load of requirements (Top 10 / Top 5 / No.1, big titles (sorry Memphis :p) / good results at the slams / Grand Slam titles, a certain number of tournaments maybe, etc.) to reach the maximum of that deal. :lol:

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Nike deal was $70 million.

Nike was 70 million US Dollars. :hearts:

Not that she's ever gonna earn all that, cause I'm pretty damn sure she has to meet a truck load of requirements (Top 10 / Top 5 / No.1, big titles (sorry Memphis :p) / good results at the slams / Grand Slam titles, a certain number of tournaments maybe, etc.) to reach the maximum of that deal. :lol:
I said was. 45 million was her deal with Nike before she signed a new one (approx. 70 million) at the start of last year.

Sharapovian
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I said was. 45 million was her deal with Nike before she signed a new one (approx. 70 million) at the start of last year.

Oh sorry never realised.

Her old deal was worth quite a lot too :eek:

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:58 AM

No way. Maria's previous deal was believed to be worth around 5-6 million annually. If it was worth 45 million, it would have been over 8-9 years and considering she signed the new deal in 2010, this means she must have signed the deal old sometime around the time she went pro. :spit:

I think you're confusing this with Venus' Reebok deal. ;)

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:02 AM
No way. Maria's previous deal was believed to be worth around 5-6 million annually. If it was worth 45 million, it would have been over 8-9 years and considering she signed the new deal in 2010, this means she must have signed the deal old sometime around the time she went pro. :spit:

I think you're confusing this with Venus' Reebok deal. ;)

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sharapova_signs_multi-million_dollar_nike_deal/

Sharapova, who first signed a contract with Nike when she was just 11 years old, also has lucrative contracts with Tiffany, Canon and Sony Ericsson. Her existing five-year contract with Nike was thought to be in the region of US$45 million.

Marilyn Monheaux
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:09 AM
http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/sharapova_signs_multi-million_dollar_nike_deal/

And just like that, the site is junk. :o

Most tennis endorsement contracts are built around performance, so comparing them is challenging. Maria Sharapova’s Nike deal is believed to guarantee her around $6 million annually. Agassi’s much-hyped deal with Nike in 1995 for more than $100 million was royalty-based.

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/57885

I really do NOT believe that Nike signed Maria to a deal worth 9 million annually back in 2005, when she had only won 1 Grand Slam title. Nope, I don't.

Jorn
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:10 AM
Ithink Caro earned the $9 million last year, this year she's bigger deals...

I only know Rolex pay her 4 mill DKK yearly

Ithink ER and e-Boks about 1 mill DKK yearly...

1 US = 5.70 DKK

rochelle100
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Until Maria retires, no one will surpass her.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Don't know, don't really care. But IMO, it'll have to be an American or a wannabe American. Caroline doesn't even speak English properly. Ana is... brunette.

benbest
Jan 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Elena Vesnina after the copyright settlement.

Monzanator
Jan 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Michelle Wie, the bad girl from golf (after all Annika Sorenstam was the highest paid athlete before Sharapova took over :shrug: ).

TennisFan66
Jan 16th, 2011, 04:52 PM

You don't know the break clause, length of contract and a lot of other issues involved, but comparing like for like is first rule in comparing anything.

wozniak 1990
Jan 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I think Bartoli could. Who would not like to see her in a commercial???

MiiMo
Jan 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
No one will overtake Maria :)

TheHangover
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
in general i think in tennis world top athlets earn too much the same can be said for the footballers here in europe, with the crisis and the unemployment affecting europe, knowing that someone earn 30 millions of euros just to play tennis or football makes me pissed

benbest
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM
don't tell me you would turn down 30 millions of euros

it-girl
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Every year Forbes reports the top earnings for that year and this past Maria was #1 at 24.5 million & Serena has moved up to 20.2 million which is very close. They base the top earner off of what they make that year not off of what the players overall contract is worth. So though Maria has the 70 million dollar contract over a period of time it does not automatically make her the top earner of the year. It is Maria's overall income that makes her the top earner.

So this is not about just the endorsements alone because prize money is also included in the total of what a player makes. Based on what they look at to determine this list both Serena & Venus could actually be the overall money makers because they have outside income besides what they get on the tennis court.

This is how they determine the highest paid each year:

"Our income figures cover June 2009 through June 2010 and include prize money, endorsements, appearance fees and exhibitions."

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/18/top-earning-female-athletes-business-sportsmoney-female-athletes.html

So on this list they do not include all sources of income. It would be interesting to know what they make with all of their income included because Venus and Serena are part owners of a foot ball team & they both have their own business.

It is interesting to know what they measure for this list. Does anyone know how much the players get for appearance fees?

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM

It is interesting to know what they measure for this list. Does anyone know how much the players get for appearance fees?Appearance fees vary. Dan Kaplan of Sports Business Journal said Wozniacki got $400,000 for Thailand, which is probably a lot less than Sharapova was getting.

it-girl
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Appearance fees vary. Dan Kaplan of Sports Business Journal said Wozniacki got $400,000 for Thailand, which is probably a lot less than Sharapova was getting.Do you know what Venus received for attending the exhibition?

goldenlox
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:53 PM
No, but they pay pretty well for big names.

Betten
Jan 17th, 2011, 08:54 AM
She's also a lot more articulate speaker of English than Caroline and Ana.

Corrected ;)

AnomyBC
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:12 AM
It will probably be Caro eventually, but probably not until Sharapova and Williams sisters retire. For either her or Ivanovic to do it while Sharapova and/or the Williams sisters are still around would probably require them to win multiple slams over a relatively short period of time.

JamieOwen3
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:43 AM
the fact that Maria is American based and a blonde Russian born beauty has been a big factor to her status as the highest paid female athlete, she's appealing all around the world.
i think it could possibly be years before she's dethroned :)

Sharapowerr
Jan 17th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Maria's Nike deal is worth more than Caro's all time career winnings and off court endorcements combined. I don't see anyone on the tour in the next 5 years making more money that Maria made.