PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we are at the dawn of a new tennis era?

DaMamaJama87
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
It looks like 2011 might finally be the year when the guard changes for good. The older generation is in decline. Venus, for the first time in over a decade, is not considered a contender at the Australian Open. Serena is out of commission for an extended period and may come back a changed player. Henin can basically only play a few tournaments and would be out of the top 30 if not for her Australian Open run. Jankovic, Sharapova, Safina, Kuznetsova and Ivanovic all look past their peak. Dementieva called it a day already. Kim is the only player still playing well for her standards but she has always kept family as her main priority.

The future belongs to Wozniacki, Azarenka, Pavyluchenkova, Jovanovski, Wickmayer, Kleybanova, Kvitova and their age group and it looks like 2011 will be the year that they (+Kim) will win most of the titles.

sammy01
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
the 1st big title was between 2 of the older players (li and kim). the 2 main faves for the oz open are kim and henin.

if by the time wimbledon comes around serena is back she will be the huge favourite for it. the us open kim and serena.

yes other players are winning titles, but when and where it matters the old guard are still very much the players to look to.

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Until the younger group takes over the Premiers & majors, the guard hasn't turned yet.
But it will happen, sooner or later

jimbo mack
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:32 PM
i think 2013 will be the beginning of the next era, a lot of big names will be gone by the end of 2012..i suspect alot of players will retire one by one after the Olympics, such as possibly serena, venus, kim, petrova to name a few

GoofyDuck
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I really don't wanna think about these things yet :bigcry:

Flavia P.
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
No, I don't think so. I think that the tennis tours, both female and male, are in the worst of shape they have been in a while, and it will be several years before things are corrected. Not many of the "future" stars really are star quality.

Stevecw
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:53 PM
U could be right about most, but saying Ivanovic is past her peak is crazy??

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Until the younger group takes over the Premiers & majors, the guard hasn't turned yet.
But it will happen, sooner or later

This.

i think 2013 will be the beginning of the next era, a lot of big names will be gone by the end of 2012..i suspect alot of players will retire one by one after the Olympics, such as possibly serena, venus, kim, petrova to name a few

Kim will leave just after the 2012 OG, the WS and Justine are likely to leave as well... :scary:

TennisFan66
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:04 PM
If we incl Kim in the 'younger group', when was a Tier 1 or major last won by someone outside this group of players? ... If I'm not mistaken, you'll have to go back to SW19 2010.

You could also say, when was a Tier 1/major won by someone who wasn't Caro or Kim? .. again back to SW19 2010.

Unless you're wearing blinders and/or stay firmly in denial, imho the 'change' is clearly taking place as we speak.

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Why would we include Kim in the younger group ?

Olórin
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
If we incl Kim in the 'younger group',

You can't include Kim in the younger group because she is a veteran with 10+ years on the tour. :weirdo:

No changing of the guard yet. I think it's pretty clear the Belgians and WS will have to quit for that to happen.

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
You can't include Kim in the younger group because she is a veteran with 10+ years on the tour. :weirdo:

No changing of the guard yet. I think it's pretty clear the Belgians and WS will have to quit for that to happen.

Oh you are back ! :) Hope to see you on TF during the AO even if Serena won't play. ;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
serena will never retire.....so DON'T say it

:hysteric:

TennisFan66
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM

Yeah, weirdo face right back at ya!

Kim is a year younger than Justine. A year older than Bepa. 3 years younger than Fran. She's not exactly a pensioner and she's been out of the game, as you well know. Its all symantics who's put in each group. Younger, Older, middle 20's, late 20's etc... If Kim retired tomorrow, you could argue the guard has now changed, as no-one but Kim and Caro has won a Tier 1/Major for 6 month.

So changing of the guards depends on only 4 players?

Serena Williams. Greatest player of current generation, but may never return to competitive tennis.
Venus Williams. Haven't won a major since ...I can't remember, but it's many moons ago. She's also 30+ and has dodgy knees. Not considered a contender anymore.
Justine Henin. Bit of a health problem. I'd say it's unlikely Justine has the health/body to play anywhere near a normal WTA schedule. Contender at majors, if she plays/is fit.
Kim Clijsters. The youngest of the 'depends on for the guard to change'. Kim is 27 .. thats just ooooooold, but hopefully she'll stick around for a few more years.

Volcana
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:27 PM
In 2010 every slam won by a player 27 years old or older.
In 2010 every slam finalist was 25 or older.

Sharapova, incidentally, turns 24 this year.

Plenty of the younger players have taken runs at #1, but it isn't translating into slams (AI excepted).

There are only two players under age 25 in the top ten.
There are only eight players under age 25 in the top twenty.

01 11/07/90 Wozniacki
08 28/02/85 Jankovic
12 01/05/87 Peer
14 06/03/89 Radwanska
16 19/04/87 Sharapova
18 03/07/91 Pavlyuchenkova
19 25/01/87 Kirilenko
20 06/11/87 Ivanovic

Changing of the guard? Maybe. But i see no evidence of this.

miffedmax
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Whatever. The world ended on Oct. 29, 2010 anyhows.

Wiggly
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:32 PM
No, I don't think so. I think that the tennis tours, both female and male, are in the worst of shape they have been in a while, and it will be several years before things are corrected. Not many of the "future" stars really are star quality.

The ATP is reaching new heights every year.
They have the Federer-Nadal thing plus Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, the Frenchmen, the Spanish Armada, Roddick, etc.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Whatever. The world ended on Oct. 29, 2010 anyhows.

:lol:

Flavia P.
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:37 PM
The ATP is reaching new heights every year.
They have the Federer-Nadal thing plus Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, the Frenchmen, the Spanish Armada, Roddick, etc.

Maybe, but Filippo Volandri isn't near the top so it doesn't matter.

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM

Kim is a year younger than Justine. A year older than Bepa. 3 years younger than Fran. She's not exactly a pensioner and she's been out of the game, as you well know. Its all symantics who's put in each group. Younger, Older, middle 20's, late 20's etc... If Kim retired tomorrow, you could argue the guard has now changed, as no-one but Kim and Caro has won a Tier 1/Major for 6 month.

Serena Williams. Greatest player of current generation, but may never return to competitive tennis.
Venus Williams. Haven't won a major since ...I can't remember, but it's many moons ago. She's also 30+ and has dodgy knees. Not considered a contender anymore.
Justine Henin. Bit of a health problem. I'd say it's unlikely Justine has the health/body to play anywhere near a normal WTA schedule. Contender at majors, if she plays/is fit.
Kim Clijsters. The youngest of the 'depends on for the guard to change'. Kim is 27 .. thats just ooooooold, but hopefully she'll stick around for a few more years.

http://h-2.abload.de/img/o-rly__ruserious49ro.jpg

Being a year younger than Justine means shit. She is into the old guard, she has been playing for 12-13 years, has played with the older generation !

1- Serena will return to the tour, deal with it, I know you wish she won't come back.
2- Venus has just reached the SF of US Open and took more games off Clijsters than Wozniacki ever did. And Wozniacki did not do better than her with much more tournaments. So no, Venus is not done yet. (and I like Caro).
3- And ?
4- She is going to retire for good just after the 2012 OG, she even hopes to end her career along with Justine in doubles. Get your facts straights.

ViceUltramontain
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:28 PM
The only point I agree with is Serena, she'll return, but at her age, she'll never be the same. It would not be the first time in sport that a stupid injury ends a brilliant career.

For the rest, it's just wrong. Venus, Justine and Kim are the three top players right now. And they'll stay the best at least until the 2012 games. London2012 will be the turning point, not Melbourne 2011.

cellophane
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Don't know how accurate this info is, but Kim might play for another 4 years

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=9593&zoneid=25

Sammo
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM
A dawn uses to be beautiful :rolleyes: This is a damn disaster

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM
The WTA has stars. Ashe in NYC had more WTA than ATP. Laver is starting off with Sharapova, Caro, Groth

Young stars need to keep improving

terjw
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:55 PM
I don't think so until it actually happens in the slams. The big four have not relinquished their grip on the slams yet. The speculation that Serena may not be the same when she comes back is speculation. I'll believe that there's a changing the guard when I see it. And it's foolish writing off Venus and Justine.

Andy.
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Hopefully not, have you seen the new generation :help::tape:

Lord Choc Ice
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM

The horror...

debby
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:45 AM
Don't know how accurate this info is, but Kim might play for another 4 years

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=9593&zoneid=25

I thought she planned on having another kid? :scratch: She can't do her mind.

A dawn uses to be beautiful :rolleyes: This is a damn disaster

:bigcry:

MakarovaFan
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM
The mens??? What are yo smoking....we have Nadal sweeping big events,Roger ending and starting the year on a 4 event win streak(including the masters), Murray who won 2 masters events last year, Soderling,Roddick,Djokovic.

cellophane
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I thought she planned on having another kid? :scratch: She can't do her mind.

She can have another kid later :shrug:

Lord Choc Ice
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
The mens??? What are yo smoking....we have Nadal sweeping big events,Roger ending and starting the year on a 4 event win streak(including the masters), Murray who won 2 masters events last year, Soderling,Roddick,Djokovic.

Roddick's horrid but the rest I agree with.

new-york
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:01 AM

My thoughts, exactly.

miffedmax
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:18 AM
There is nothing but a bangless, desolate wasteland.

Matt01
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:04 AM
It looks like 2011 might finally be the year when the guard changes for good. The older generation is in decline. Venus, for the first time in over a decade, is not considered a contender at the Australian Open.

No offense, but I stopped reading here...

Protoss
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Players born in 1988 or later won 1 out of 14 premier 5 or greater tournaments in 2009. In 2010 that # increased to 3.

I wonder what it will be this year.

DaMamaJama87
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:15 AM
No offense, but I stopped reading here...

Why? Venus isn't considered a contender this year by many observers. She is barely being talked about.

Matt01
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:19 AM
Why? Venus isn't considered a contender this year by many observers. She is barely being talked about.

Yes, but she wasn't a real contender already in several other years in the past...

Miss Amor
Jan 16th, 2011, 02:20 AM
Yes, but she wasn't a real contender already in several other years in the past...

Well, she was considered as a contender by many 'experts' on ESPN etc. for the Australian Open after her YEC'08 and HK performance in 2009 (The fact that they were wrong is a different matter).

DaMamaJama87
Jan 16th, 2011, 05:57 AM

Venus was always in the discussion until this year. All of the early round losses were considered shocking upsets every year. They were completely unexpected. Even last year, there was a lot of talk of an all-Williams semi-final. This is the first year that she has not been given attention as a contender.

Olórin
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Kim is a year younger than Justine. A year older than Bepa. 3 years younger than Fran. She's not exactly a pensioner and she's been out of the game, as you well know. Its all semantics who's put in each group. Younger, Older, middle 20's, late 20's etc... If Kim retired tomorrow, you could argue the guard has now changed, as no-one but Kim and Caro has won a Tier 1/Major for 6 month.

The changing of the guards depends on the elite older players in this instance. And Serena, Venus, Justine and Kim are the old generation of elite players - of course Schiavone is part of their generation. Your foolish assertion that Kim could be counted as a member of the younger generation was preposterous and thoroughly deserving of a weirdo smiley.

We're talking about the "dawning of a new era", a generation retiring...a 6 month time period is too small a time period to form any conclusion. Not to mention there was only one slam in that time (in which the old guard ruled btw).