PDA

View Full Version : What are the most interesting 1R encounters?

fouc
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
what r the most promising encounters for the first two days in Australia?
You can chose more than 1 in the poll.

A-Bond
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM
For me it's Groth - Wickmayer. Two quality players, I really have no idea who will prevail. The only chance for Wickmayer is Groth being tired or nervous in front of her home crowd on such a big court, because otherwise she will steamroll Yanina.

But in terms of Names it's obviously Clijsters-Safina. I hope Dinara gets some games :sad:

Ellery
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Kimiko vs Aga :cheer:

Ryan
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
There's a bunch of great first rounders actually.

Kim-Safina just for name recognition - last time we had this big a first round (accomplishment-wise) was it Henin-Martinez at RG?

Groth-Wickmayer. Both could be darkhorse Quarterfinalists really, and both did well in the leadup events; but one of them will flame out early.

Caro-Dulko. Probably wont be as interesting as most people think, but Dulko's beaten some big names in Slams and Woz has looked shaky early on this year.

fouc
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I can't see Jarmila steamrolling top 30 players on regular basics. She shares sth of Petrova's attitude - both are too perfectionist, easily get upset at themselves, only Jarmila is more of a brat. She won't keep her cool long enough to make it an easy match.

Sean.
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Voted Yanina - Jarmilla they are both in form right now. Shame one has to lose in R1

Clijsters - Safina could be good, but more likely it's going to be a demolishion job. :sad:

eDonkey
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Caro-Dulko. Probably wont be as interesting as most people think, but Dulko's beaten some big names in Slams and Woz has looked shaky early on this year.

Exactly what I thought.

Which is the last time the no.1 in the World lost in a GS opener?Hingis at 1999 Wimbledon?

Sammo
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Stosur vs. Davis, get the first double bagel of your career!!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Yanina vs Groth should be a corker! :bounce:

Kim vs Dina :drool:

*Jool*
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I'm excited about Sharapova, Clijsters, Radwanska, Schiavone, Wozniacki matches.

Freshi
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Dinara Safina vs. Kim Clijsters

Juju Nostalgique
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:52 PM
OMG Safina-Klijsters is winning... :tape: Come on, it's going to be 6-0 6-0 for Klijjsters! :rolls: :lol: :rolls:

Stevecw
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Caro v Gise is what I pick. Gise has a habit of beating top players, and then go lose to some nobody in next match :(

Ciarán
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:10 PM
How the hell has Wozniacki vs Dulko have so many votes? LMFAO Dulko has no game and Wozniacki will give her no pace or mistakes, so it wont even be competitive. Wozniacki will maul her.

RR-87
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM
How the hell has Wozniacki vs Dulko have so many votes? LMFAO Dulko has no game and Wozniacki will give her no pace or mistakes, so it wont even be competitive. Wozniacki will maul her.

cause Wozniacki plays shit recently and many people expect the upset? :shrug:

Gawain
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Wickmayer hopes she will be fit by monday since she's caught a cold in Sydney and is having antibiotics (Belgian newspapers today).

duhcity
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:17 PM
cause Wozniacki plays shit recently and many people expect the upset? :shrug:

Except Gisela plays also like shit, and can do nothing if she doesn't receive pace.

Kim and Dinara for sure

Stevecw
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Hmm lets see!! Gise always seems to take out a top ranked player in most tourneys she plays, and then go lose to some qualifier next round :mad: I can see this going to 3 sets, and hope so much that Gise can win it :)

gorre
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Sevastova vs. Hercog the young guns battle :) :cool:

Polona is going to need to play better than she's played so far...

cn ireland
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Wozniacki v. Dulko
Wickmayer v. Groth
Date-Krumm v. A. Radwanska
Safina v. Clijsters
Sharapova v. Tanasugarn

sammy01
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Stosur vs. Davis, get the first double bagel of your career!!

nah stosur should get a couple of games :lol::p

jimbo mack
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Wickmayer hopes she will be fit by monday since she's caught a cold in Sydney and is having antibiotics (Belgian newspapers today).

must be bit more than a cold if she's on antibiotics ;)

anyway, I voted for the Kimiko Date v Ag Radwnaska match, perfect chance for the Jap to score another top 20 win...could be the last top 20 win of her career so I hope she does!

goldenlox
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:41 PM
There are a lot of good 1st rounders.
Caroline's match is interesting because she just lost her 1st match in Sydney, after winning the 4 Premiers she played before that.

That's the only reason Caro's match is interesting, to see what form she's in.

Date v Aga is interesting for both players. So is Groth Wickmayer.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Hantuchova vs Kulikova
battle of the two skinniest players

Nicolas
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
It has to be Voracova vs. Zahlavova

adam_ads_n
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Dinara vs. Kim, Yanina vs. Jarmila, and Kimiko vs. Aga

Dinara vs. Kim - two number ones of WTA Tour playing in 1r of AO - wow! This will definately be televised and should be a good match if Dinara finds some form (this is doubtful, but I'm still looking forward to this match).

Yanina vs. Jarmila - both are in very good form. I hope for Jarmila in this one (however I like Yanina too, so for me it's a very bad draw for both, nevertheless - very exciting one)

Kimiko vs. Aga - not only because I am Polish. Aga has been injured, she is probably not in a top form (you know she was about to skip AO). This may be a very close game and I would not be surprised if it was Kimiko, who wins this match.

young_gunner913
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Tammy vs Sharapova
Kimiko vs Aga
Dina vs Kim
Gisela vs Caro
Alison vs Sexlana
Groth - Wickmayer

Flavia P.
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Probably Wickmayer-Groth. Two evenly matched aggressive players, bound to be some great shotmaking.

Flavia P.
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:02 PM
The most interesting in terms of name quality is Safina-Kim, but I don't see it being close or an interesting match.

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Caroline Wozniacki vs. Gisela Dulko
Yanina Wickmayer vs. Jarmila Groth
Maria Sharapova vs. Tamarine Tanasugarn
Kimiko Date vs. Agnieszka Radwanska
Ekaterina Makarova vs. Ana Ivanovic
Dinara Safina vs. Kim Clijsters

Curcubeu
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Cîrstea-Lucic: the battle of fallen hopes :sobbing:

colt13
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:22 PM
I can't see Jarmila steamrolling top 30 players on regular basics. She shares sth of Petrova's attitude - both are too perfectionist, easily get upset at themselves, only Jarmila is more of a brat. She won't keep her cool long enough to make it an easy match.

That is what makes this so interesting because they are both extremely talented, but volatile. Neither one has a good sense of the scoreboard, meaning they could be up 6-1, 4-1 and implode over a line call, then do a walkabout for four games.

Mary Cherry.
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:34 PM
On paper, Safina v Clijsters. In reality, it'll be hideously one-sided.

TS
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:15 AM
In terms of fireworks and past history I am looking forward to Rezai v Zahlavova-Strycova :lol:

If it's anything like their last encounter, bring on the bitchin' :devil:

Horizon
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:20 AM
lol at "Olga Govortsova vs. Anna Chakvetadze" voters

couldn't think of anything worse than sitting through that :lol:

Pasta-Na
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:28 AM
zhang vs lucie :angel: :spit:

Pops Maellard
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:34 AM
Whoopie-Groth
Dinara-Kimothy

Huntress55
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Jarka vs Wickmayer, and Dinara vs Kim are the ones Im most interested in from that list.

doktor
Jan 16th, 2011, 01:25 AM
haha lucic cirstea should be hilarious

Juju Nostalgique
Jan 18th, 2011, 10:53 AM
OMG Safina-Klijsters is winning... :tape: Come on, it's going to be 6-0 6-0 for Klijjsters! :rolls: :lol: :rolls:

BUMP!

:tape: I was right... :haha:

So 96 people were wrong... Not bad! :tape:

fouc
Jan 18th, 2011, 01:40 PM
well... it was kinda interesting I guess!