PDA

View Full Version : Sam Stosur's grandfather passed away today

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/tennis/majors/sam-stosur-dedicates-australian-open-campaign-to-her-grandfather-and-vows-to-do-more-for-qld-flood-victims/story-e6frf4nc-1225988190138

Sam Stosur will dedicate her Australian Open campaign to her beloved grandfather, Jan, who has died.

"Can I start by saying I would like to dedicate Australian Open 2011 to my dear grandpa Jan Stosur," Stosur said.

"I have just learnt that he passed away a few hours ago.

"He had been sick for a while, but it doesn't really lessen the shock.

"He was my last surviving grandparent and has always been there for me throughout my entire life.

"Our whole family is going to miss him dearly.

"Something like this really puts everything into perspective and I am determined to do him proud over the next fortnight."

Stosur, who will play highly regarded American wildcard Lauren Davis in the first round, also has been affected by the Queensland floods.

"I have been watching a lot of the coverage on the television and it is heartbreaking," she said.

"It is just a disaster, a tragedy and we feel for everyone up there.

"A lot of the tennis players here in Melbourne are talking about it and we all just want to do our little bit and hopefully we can raise lots of money (at tomorrow's Rally for Relief event).

"In the big scheme of things, it's not going to seem like that much. But every little bit counts. It's already sold out.

"I think it is great that everyone can put aside the tennis for a moment and show how much they care.

"I also want to keep going with the aces scheme we started in Brisbane with Andy Roddick.

"I originally came up with an idea to donate $100 for every ace I served from the Brisbane International to the Aussie Open.

"But the further it goes, the more I feel I want to do a little bit more. Besides I don't think I've served enough aces!

"I am upping it to $500 an ace and also made it retrospective.

"I think I've hit 13 or 14 aces so far in Brisbane and Sydney.

"They'll be worth $500 each to the flood relief appeal and I am determined to add a whole lot more by the end of the Aussie Open.

"So, after a long build-up, it is finally here. I can't wait. This one's for you, grandpa."

Papillon.
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
She is so lovely. I hope to god she wins this tournament. Serve a flurry of aces, Sam. :inlove:

mauresmofan
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Rough times for Sam she could be extremely dangerous at this tournament

tennis-insomniac
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
RIP.

I could never think of any other who as hard-working as Sam, in my opinion, she is very underrated.

Good Luck in Melbourne Sam.

Sharapovian
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
RIP :sad:

Good luck Sam!

Ryan
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:02 PM
:( RIP. Turn this into an inspirational AO victory Sam. :cool:

Sammo
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'm so sorry Sammy, go and win the Aussie Open for your grandpa

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:06 PM
RIP :sad:

Pasta-Na
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:07 PM
:hug:

no more R2 exit pls. :o

Omega1
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Ì`m so sorry.
"Can I start by saying I would like to dedicate Australian Open 2011 to my dear grandpa Jan Stosur," Stosur said.
Go and win the Aussie Open for your grandpa

brickhousesupporter
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:11 PM
:( RIP. Turn this into an inspirational AO victory Sam. :cool:
This is exactly what I hope they don't do. I know all the commentators and talking heads are going to use this as her story for this Australian, but I think it is kind of disrespectful to her grandfather. I hope Sam is able to handle the pressure she is creating with this dedication. BTW, don't you dedicate something after you have achieved it?

Good luck Sam in this difficult time.

Break My Rapture
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Thoughts go out to her, her family and friends. :hug: RIP.

ElusiveChanteuse
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
RIP and good luck to Sam. Hopefully she can turn this into her motivation.:shrug:

messing
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I want to give her a big hug. :hug: And sincerely hope she doesn't feel too much pressure. :awww:

Marionated
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:35 PM
RIP
Sam :hug:

Alejandrawrrr
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Aww, I'm not even a fan but I hope she does well now. A great player and a nice girl, Good luck at the AO

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Sammy :hug:

BepaMaria
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Aww I feel sad for Stosur. Hope she recovers well from this mentally and dont let this affect her performance at the AO.

Ivanovic2008
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Poor Sam
I am not a fan but i have no words for how nice and caring she is.

Tuckii
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Oh no such a tragedy right before the AO starts :(

danieln1
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Hopefully she´ll have a great Australian Open!

Caipirinha Guy
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Oh no... This was the famous Polish grandpa of Sam :sad:
I feel sorry for Samantha :(

Juju Nostalgique
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Beat all those b!tches for grandpa Sam! :yeah: :hug:

timafi
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:29 PM
RIP grandpa Stosur:sad:

:awww:Sam hang in there babe:hug:

Anabelcroft
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I hope to god she wins this tournament.

I hope not!

Petkorazzi
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Seriously, I just don't understand how people hate this girl so much. She definitely seems like a great person, is very hardworking and just does her job without any drama. I think most people hate her cause she beat their faves :spit: Grow up...

I'm really sorry for her and her whole family. She could use this as an inspiration to do good, but I see her losing early more. :awww:

Rovegun
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
RIP.. hope Sam´s granpa´s death won´t affect her much and she will show her best tennis....

Anabelcroft
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Seriously, I just don't understand how people hate this girl so much. She definitely seems like a great person, is very hardworking and just does her job without any drama. I think most people hate her cause she beat their faves :spit: Grow up...

I'm really sorry for her and her whole family. She could use this as an inspiration to do good, but I see her losing early more. :awww:

Nobody hates her...For example,I don't like the way she plays tennis and that's why I hope she won't win this tournament...But,that's all.Personally I wish her best,which,of course,doesn't have anything to do with tennis...

it-girl
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
My heart goes out to her and her family. But lets be honest here, if anything she will be more vulnerable because of the fact that tennis is so mental. It is hard to not think of a lost loved one while playing and it is very distracting to a players game. You have to have emotions of steel when you are playing to win and I think Sam is a player who has them but somethings like this makes your emotions much softter.

She has already set herself up to be thinking about him throughout this tournament which means that he will always be on his mind and she will feel the pressure of winning because she dedicated the tournament to him. Well no matter how far she goes the fact that she is even able to play now is really something special.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:50 PM
My heart goes out to her and her family. But lets be honest here, if anything she will be more vulnerable because of the fact that tennis is so mental. It is hard to not think of a lost loved one while playing and it is very distracting to a players game. You have to have emotions of steel when you are playing to win and I think Sam is a player who has them but somethings like this makes your emotions much softter.

She has already set herself up to be thinking about him throughout this tournament which means that he will always be on his mind and she will feel the pressure of winning because she dedicated the tournament to him. Well no matter how far she goes the fact that she is even able to play now is really something special.

It could work the other way too. Monica Seles played the French Open two weeks after her dad died and came within a few games of winning the whole thing.

Petkorazzi
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:06 PM
It could work the other way too. Monica Seles played the French Open two weeks after her dad died and came within a few games of winning the whole thing.
Monica's mental strength cannot be compared to Sam' though. We all saw how bad JJ played after her grandma died during US open 2009.

cn ireland
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Sam comes across as such a lovely person, i'm sure her grandfather was so proud of her!

Flavia P.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
RIP to him and best wishes out to Sam during these sad moments for her :hug:

Mistress of Evil
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Rip

sweetpeas
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:30 PM
RIP. Turn this into an inspirational AO victory Sam.

Right!Kick the shrimp of the Barbee Sam.lol for dear GRANDPA Stosur. RIP!

Keadz
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
RIP to Sammy's grandfather :(

Wish her the best. Here's hoping it can spur her on for a good performance in Melbourne.

Jane Lane
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Aww Sam :hug: Even though I'm not rooting for her to win the whole thing, hopefully she can stay focused and make a run for the home fans and her grandpa.

winone23
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Really sad news for Sam.

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:24 PM
RIP :hug::tears:

hope this will be an amazing fornight for Sam :)

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Oh no. :sad:
my condolences to Sam and her family.

Hopefully this just gives Sam motivation and do it in honor of her grandfather

The 2nd Law
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:16 PM
Sam :( It must have been a very tough week for her. I wish her the best of luck over the next fortnight.

Sammo
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:21 PM
He was bornt in Poland, Sam's surname and polish heritage came from him.

Huntress55
Jan 16th, 2011, 12:55 AM
RIP.
Sam :hug:

svetaisthebest
Jan 16th, 2011, 03:56 AM
RIP:sad: Good Luck for the AO Sam:hug:

Temperenka
Jan 16th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Sam is truly a gift to this sport. A genuine person with a big game that focuses on tennis and giving back.

Kudos to her. Hope she can go deep. :)

ArturoAce.
Jan 16th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Go get em, Sammy! :)

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:57 AM
My condolences to Sam and her family:sad:
I really hope she comes out and makes a statement (performance wise) at this years Aussie Open.