PDA

View Full Version : BOMBSHELL! Martha Sharapova takes a break from Joyce!

Vartan
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:59 AM
BREAKING: Maria Sharapova and her longtime coach Michael Joyce have agreed to take a break from each other. MS at AO with T. Hogstedt only

Sharapova & Joyce together for 6 1/2 yrs. Became close friends but coach-player relationship got stale Decided in Auckland & Joyce went home.

http://twitter.com/TennisReporters

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:00 AM
:speakles::speakles::speakles:

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:01 AM
the thread title is so misleading :rolleyes:

Noctis
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:01 AM
About time.
He telling her what she want to hear
not telling her how to win

big difference . Hope she wakes up

BlackPanther.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Do not know what to think. :shrug:

doni1212
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:03 AM
She finally came to her senses! Wow, never thought she would!

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Woah! I think...I am.....thrilled.

It's going to be so weird seeing only Hogstedt in her camp. Hopefully her dad comes to support her?

Wow.

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:06 AM
Scapegoat.

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Scapegoat.

Ivanovic beats Alicia Molik and a few other nobodies and all of a sudden a few cocky, arrogant Ana fans think they know what theyre talking about. Class :hearts:

Lord Choc Ice
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Martha Focker. :eek:

Serenita
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM
I guess that talk from Nike really got her thinking ..:lol:

Andy.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM
It looks like she is really doing everything she can to get back on top.

supergrunt
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Why is her name now Martha?

Claycourter
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Player forum :zzz:

s_j
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:31 AM
This can only be good considering her current form?

Andy.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:34 AM
Player forum :zzz:
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/gtfop1.gif

Vartan
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:36 AM
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/gtfop1.gif

:worship:

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:38 AM
:haha::haha:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Ivanovic beats Alicia Molik and a few other nobodies and all of a sudden a few cocky, arrogant Ana fans think they know what theyre talking about. Class :hearts:

Wow someone is insecure. :tape:

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Wow someone is insecure. :tape:

Yeah, says the person desperately defending Ana:

If only you knew the background information :rolleyes:... Kworb is the one who frequently claims that Ana's Slam win isn't really legitimate, that she's a journeywoman and every one of her wins is down to sheer dumb luck. I was merely pointing out his hypocrisy. :o

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say. :rolleyes: I mean, for the average tennis fan who is unable to analyze the games of the two expertly, their reaction upon seeing the score in the H2H might be to assume that Ana should be a bad match up for Na, and will crush her in the next meeting. In reality, that MAY NOT be the case.

And it was 6-3 6-1 by the way.

Go troll elesewhere. :wavey:

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:59 AM

:hysteric:

Singleniacki
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Player forum :p

Lachy
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Oh, that's really really bad. Masha :tears: :sobbing:

Cp6uja
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:10 AM
If Maria broke with Joyce - good sign... despite he do so much for her in past.
If Joyce broke with Maria - bad sign... if even he gave up.

Daniel K
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM

:spit:

So true.

Vartan
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Martha was his bread and butter, I don't think he would break it up.

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah, says the person desperately defending Ana:

Stalker :unsure:

:tape: I think that, much like the other poster in that particular thread, you did not understand that THAT post was a defence of the logical reasoning behind a layman's perception of the H2H between two players, not a defence of Ana, because that wasn't NEEDED.

As for scapegoating, what's the evidence that Joyce was actually really BAD for Maria? What's the evidence that only working with Hogstedt will be GOOD for her, especially given her early season results? We all know that she was never the same after the shoulder surgery. :rolleyes: The delusion that everything will be great after she gets rid of Joyce is absolutely unfounded, and distracts from the core issue of her head and the mental issues that appeared after her injury layoff.

The knee-jerk reaction of accusing me of just wanting Maria to lose early is understandable, but frankly ridiculous - as if I derive joy from seeing players of Maria's calibre lose in an errorfest to Wozniacki. :o Please.

simonsaystennis
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Wow... hope this is a change for the better... glad the split seems to be amicable though.

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM

:tape: I think that, much like the other poster in that particular thread, you did not understand that THAT post was a defence of the logical reasoning behind a layman's perception of the H2H between two players, not a defence of Ana, because that wasn't NEEDED.

As for scapegoating, what's the evidence that Joyce was actually really BAD for Maria? What's the evidence that only working with Hogstedt will be GOOD for her, especially given her early season results? We all know that she was never the same after the shoulder surgery. :rolleyes: The delusion that everything will be great after she gets rid of Joyce is absolutely unfounded, and distracts from the core issue of her head and the mental issues that appeared after her injury layoff.

The knee-jerk reaction of accusing me of just wanting Maria to lose early is understandable, but frankly ridiculous - as if I derive joy from seeing players of Maria's calibre lose in an errorfest to Wozniacki. :o Please.

Obviously the fucking girl being coached by him would know. :rolleyes: Clearly you dont know anything about Maria so stop pretending like you do plz.

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Obviously the fucking girl being coached by him would know. :rolleyes: Clearly you dont know anything about Maria so stop pretending like you do plz.

And therefore you would know because...?

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
And therefore you would know because...?

I would know what? :rolleyes:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I would know what? :rolleyes:

Know that Joyce was bad for Maria?

JJ all the way
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Yay!! Maybe we will see a Masha v. Jaja final?! :)

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Know that Joyce was bad for Maria?

I don't know. I never said I did. What's your point?

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:11 AM

yes pleeeeease :inlove:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I don't know. I never said I did. What's your point?

So where's the evidence that Maria suffered under Joyce, and that removing him from her team will automatically solve her issues? :cuckoo: As I said, it just distracts from the core of her problems in her head and her game.

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:16 AM
So where's the evidence that Maria suffered under Joyce, and that removing him from her team will automatically solve her issues? :cuckoo: As I said, it just distracts from the core of her problems in her head and her game.

When did Maria ever say that his will "automatically solve her issues"? And who is trying to distract from her "core problems"? If you're implying that Maria would drop her coach of 6+ years who helped her win two grand slams just because she is trying to "distract from the core of her problems" then you're an idiot. Maria is a professional adult who has had a successful career, she isn't someone to make immature decisions for the petty reasons you're trying to fabricate. She's the tennis player here, so I'm pretty sure she knows what to do with her career. :rolleyes:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:20 AM
When did Maria ever say that his will "automatically solve her issues"? And who is trying to distract from her "core problems"? If you're implying that Maria would drop her coach of 6+ years who helped her win two grand slams just because she is trying to "distract from the core of her problems" then you're an idiot. Maria is a professional adult who has had a successful career, she isn't someone to make immature decisions for the petty reasons you're trying to fabricate. She's the tennis player here, so I'm pretty sure she knows what to do with her career. :rolleyes:

No one is trying to distract from her core problems, but it might have the EFFECT of distracting from her core problems because she may have mistakenly thought that Joyce was the cause of her problems. :shrug:

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:24 AM
No one is trying to distract from her core problems, but it might have the EFFECT of distracting from her core problems because she may have mistakenly thought that Joyce was the cause of her problems. :shrug:

What does this have to do with your original accusation of "scapegoating"?

Claycourter
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:25 AM

I called it long ago, if you don't believe me check my post history. "The Empress" and Masha "Fierce" shall ruthlessly crush all opposition on their way to set up the most titanic final clash in history of the game. Fedmug vs Nadull Wimbledon '08 will seem like a MM event in comparison! I cannot call the winner of this apocalyptic battle, for both women are determined, focused and are at the top of their games. Unstoppable force vs Immovable object. Who will emerge victorious? Only time will tell. :rocker2: :smoke:

VIKA?
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:28 AM
ohmy:eek:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:30 AM
What does this have to do with your original accusation of "scapegoating"?

That Joyce has become a scapegoat due to her frustration with her situation, and he is not really the cause of her troubles?

-NAJ-
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Martha Sharapova takes a break from Joyce!

:scratch:

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:41 AM
That Joyce has become a scapegoat due to her frustration with her situation, and he is not really the cause of her troubles?

One post ago you said that Maria may have "mistakenly" thought he was the problem so how could it be considered scapegoating if she doesn't know that she is "wrong". Plus, you're under the assumption that Joyce isn't bad, which you don't know either. And also, you're under the assumption that she doesn't know what's wrong with her game which again, you don't know either. Maria has mentioned many times within the last year what she needs to fix about her game, and she has never mentioned her coach anytime.

MiiMo
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
I hope this move will help her. I saw the youtube's video of her practicing at Melbourne Park, she was with her new coach and he seems to be quite efficient from what I saw ...

JJ all the way
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I called it long ago, if you don't believe me check my post history. "The Empress" and Masha "Fierce" shall ruthlessly crush all opposition on their way to set up the most titanic final clash in history of the game. Fedmug vs Nadull Wimbledon '08 will seem like a MM event in comparison! I cannot call the winner of this apocalyptic battle, for both women are determined, focused and are at the top of their games. Unstoppable force vs Immovable object. Who will emerge victorious? Only time will tell. :rocker2: :smoke:

I believe you, trust me!! :hearts:
You are so right - their clash is going to be unlike any other. Masha better load up on those bananas, and Jaja better have extra tampons and glitter. The winner will obviously be tennis :lol:

Too bad this Justine girl has no shot of making the finals because of some grave elbow injury :eek:, she might now even be able to raise her hand (sorry that was a cheap shot ;) ). Wozniaki is going to double bagel her for sure...

And can you believe the audacity of some posters predicting a Clijsters v. Henin final when we have Jaja and Masha :fiery:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:50 AM
One post ago you said that Maria may have "mistakenly" thought he was the problem so how could it be considered scapegoating if she doesn't know that she is "wrong". Plus, you're under the assumption that Joyce isn't bad, which you don't know either. And also, you're under the assumption that she doesn't know what's wrong with her game which again, you don't know either. Maria has mentioned many times within the last year what she needs to fix about her game, and she has never mentioned her coach anytime.

The Chambers Dictionary defines scapegoat at 'someone made to take the blame or punishment for the errors and mistakes of others' (http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=scapegoat&title=21st). That is basically what I was insinuating with Joyce - Maria didn't have to know that she was wrong. :shrug:

I assume that Joyce isn't bad because he was the one who guided her to multiple Grand Slam titles and was also the one who suggested bringing someone new to the team, to perhaps add something new - isn't he someone who's actually trying to do something?

I don't assume that Maria doesn't exactly know what's wrong with her game, but she sure isn't doing what is required to fix it. :confused:

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I believe you, trust me!! :hearts:
You are so right - their clash is going to be unlike any other. Masha better load up on those bananas, and Jaja better have extra tampons and glitter. The winner will obviously be tennis :lol:

Too bad this Justine girl has no shot of making the finals because of some grave elbow injury :eek:, she might now even be able to raise her hand (sorry that was a cheap shot ;) ). Wozniaki is going to double bagel her for sure...

And can you believe the audacity of some posters predicting a Clijsters v. Henin final when we have Jaja and Masha :fiery:

GOAT :worship:

Sp!ffy
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:24 AM
The Chambers Dictionary defines scapegoat at 'someone made to take the blame or punishment for the errors and mistakes of others' (http://www.chambersharrap.co.uk/chambers/features/chref/chref.py/main?query=scapegoat&title=21st). That is basically what I was insinuating with Joyce - Maria didn't have to know that she was wrong. :shrug:

I assume that Joyce isn't bad because he was the one who guided her to multiple Grand Slam titles and was also the one who suggested bringing someone new to the team, to perhaps add something new - isn't he someone who's actually trying to do something?

I don't assume that Maria doesn't exactly know what's wrong with her game, but she sure isn't doing what is required to fix it. :confused:

Where the hell are you getting this proof that she is placing the blame on him? :weirdo: Didn't your beloved Ana change coaches during the middle of her slump? Would it be fair for me to "insinuate" that he was her scapegoat? Also, according to the definition you found, then Maria isn't using him as a "scapegoat". If she is mistakenly thinking that he is the problem, than she isn't "placing blame" on anyone, she is simply getting rid of a problem that she thinks she has.

The more you speak, the more it clearly shows how little knowledge you have of Maria's life. First of all, her decision to drop someone who she has the right to think may be a detriment, is a decision in itself. Also, her willingness to accept a new coach is a decision in itself. Her decision to play at Sydney, Dubai, Doha, Moscow is a decision in itself. Her decision to change rackets is a decision in itself. And Joyce isn't the one that went out there and played 7 opponents and won the trophies for her, so she doesn't owe him anything. Maria's been coached by the guy for 6+ years and yet you act as if you know more than her about whether he is good for her or not. :lol:

Why couldn't Ana reverse her slump in a day if the sport is as easy as you make it sound? In fact, why don't all tennis players just play peak tennis 24/7 or whenever they want to, since, according to you, all they have to do is just "fix it". If you were actually knowledgeable on the subject that youre trying to argue against, you would know that Maria IS trying to sort things out. Whether or not she has success is irrelevant to whether or not she is putting any effort in.

Maria Croft
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
I nearly had a heart attack, I only saw the words Bombshell and her name... well sort of.

But this is actually great news :yeah:
I never thought she would do this though :eek:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Where the hell are you getting this proof that she is placing the blame on him? :weirdo: Didn't your beloved Ana change coaches during the middle of her slump? Would it be fair for me to "insinuate" that he was her scapegoat? Also, according to the definition you found, then Maria isn't using him as a "scapegoat". If she is mistakenly thinking that he is the problem, than she isn't "placing blame" on anyone, she is simply getting rid of a problem that she thinks she has.

The more you speak, the more it clearly shows how little knowledge you have of Maria's life. First of all, her decision to drop someone who she has the right to think may be a detriment, is a decision in itself. Also, her willingness to accept a new coach is a decision in itself. Her decision to play at Sydney, Dubai, Doha, Moscow is a decision in itself. Her decision to change rackets is a decision in itself. And Joyce isn't the one that went out there and played 7 opponents and won the trophies for her, so she doesn't owe him anything. Maria's been coached by the guy for 6+ years and yet you act as if you know more than her about whether he is good for her or not. :lol:

Why couldn't Ana reverse her slump in a day if the sport is as easy as you make it sound? In fact, why don't all tennis players just play peak tennis 24/7 or whenever they want to, since, according to you, all they have to do is just "fix it". If you were actually knowledgeable on the subject that youre trying to argue against, you would know that Maria IS trying to sort things out. Whether or not she has success is irrelevant to whether or not she is putting any effort in.

Some of the coaches Ana has fired may have been scapegoats. I think Groeneveld and Kardon weren't, since the former wanted her to be a pusher and the latter wanted her to be a brainless net-rusher. But I digress. This is about Maria.

According to the definition, Maria IS using him as a scapegoat. Getting rid of the part that she THINKS or pretends to be the problem, i.e. BLAMING it, IS turning Joyce into a scapegoat.

She accepted a new coach, but how effective will that change be? They apparently had a very fruitful off-season, lasting 3 months. In those 3 months, nothing improved.

She didn't enter Sydney. Doha and Dubai had always been part of her schedule when they were previously in that spot on the tour calendar (i.e. 2008 and before). Moscow is at the end of the year, so it's just a commitment to help a tournament. :confused: How those decisions show that she's coming back confuses me.

Her changing racquets can, the way I see it, be for two reasons. The first is money, which I doubt she lacks. The second is, again, scapegoating. Does she seriously believe that the racquet company that took her to all her success cannot serve her well? She did win 3, I repeat, THREE slams with it.

I don't act as though I know more than her. I expressed my thoughts regarding her decision, just as everyone else on this forum can freely think and post what they want provided that they are within the rules. You're the one who's making unfounded accusations, yet you have the gall to reverse that claim. :tape:

Of course it's not a direct correlation between inputted effort and success. But something has to be dead wrong if no amount of effort can translate to on-court success, and that means that the root of the problem has to be tackled.

Joe.
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Thank fuck for that.

ce
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Maria needs her dad.

madmax
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:20 AM
at last...
now maybe, just maybe her new coach will talk some sense into her stubborn head...

Keegan
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Martha has seen the light!

mariavikafan
Jan 15th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Martha has seen the light!

THIS.

Sharapovian
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:16 PM
:speakles:

Well let's see how working with only Hogstedt for a while works out.

Mistress of Evil
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joyce :hug:
Masha :bounce:

Mashabator
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
:speakles:

Monzanator
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:39 PM

I'm not saying that all her problems will go away, heck I've said that 2005/06 GOAT-Pova will never come back, but a fresh look from a new coach might pay dividends. Most importantly Maria would never knew that if she didn't take the risk. 2010 was a bad year for her and quite frankly it would take a lot for 2011 to be even worse. Joyce was there too long, during the Cincinnati final his coaching fell on deaf ears, it was visible she was't listening to him and looking for own solutions which eventually failed to work. I believe she lost faith in Joyce being able to bring her back to the top. 18 months since her return hasn't really been great and she finally decided to start from the scratch.

Those are only my opinions and I still firmly believe she wants to enjoy further success and hasn't lost passion for the game. However all your posts indicate that she should retitre and stop herself from suffering more embarrassement. I'd be happy enough if she proves you wrong over the next 10 months :cool:

Smitten
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:59 PM
About time. Was she gonna wait for a loss to Duque-Marino?

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
As if it is going to change anything.

Nothing to do with the racket or Joyce, but that SHOULDER INJURY.
When she got it, some people (such as lizchris, she even started a thread about it if I remember well) said that she would never be the same again, because most of athlete people who get that kind of bad injury (rotator something I don't recall the exact name :tape: )have never regained their old form.

And also, she had already a new coach, so I don't see what she is expecting :confused:

Steven.
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM

... loling.

I think I prefer sarcastic claycourter over blatantly obvious trolling claycourter by a long shot.

brickhousesupporter
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:30 PM
I guess that talk from Nike really got her thinking ..:lol:
THIS!!!!!!! That Nike "pep" talk is a hell of a motivator.

fouc
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
what is the thing with Martha btw?

brickhousesupporter
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
what is the thing with Martha btw?
Serena is Sarin, why can't Maria be Martha?

Martha is one of the different reincarnations of Maria. You never know who is going to show up on the court at any given time. She is a lesser player than Maria.

fouc
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
because Sarin is fun and some ppl actually pronounce her name that way?

Vincey!
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Well it was about that she does something with him, he was just useless to her on the court. She needed something new, he thought her to play one way that was effective but now she had to change her game and he couldn't help her to do that. Time to move on, I wish she would have done that earlier during the off season, I'm not sure how she'll react now during a GS.

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I'm not saying that all her problems will go away, heck I've said that 2005/06 GOAT-Pova will never come back, but a fresh look from a new coach might pay dividends. Most importantly Maria would never knew that if she didn't take the risk. 2010 was a bad year for her and quite frankly it would take a lot for 2011 to be even worse. Joyce was there too long, during the Cincinnati final his coaching fell on deaf ears, it was visible she was't listening to him and looking for own solutions which eventually failed to work. I believe she lost faith in Joyce being able to bring her back to the top. 18 months since her return hasn't really been great and she finally decided to start from the scratch.

Those are only my opinions and I still firmly believe she wants to enjoy further success and hasn't lost passion for the game. However all your posts indicate that she should retitre and stop herself from suffering more embarrassement. I'd be happy enough if she proves you wrong over the next 10 months :cool:

Where did I say that? :unsure: I'm not sure you're extrapolating the right ideas from my posts :tape:

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:55 PM
As if it is going to change anything.

Nothing to do with the racket or Joyce, but that SHOULDER INJURY.
When she got it, some people (such as lizchris, she even started a thread about it if I remember well) said that she would never be the same again, because most of athlete people who get that kind of bad injury (rotator something I don't recall the exact name :tape: )have never regained their old form.

And also, she had already a new coach, so I don't see what she is expecting :confused:

it was lizchris...i wish i could locate it cause i remember people writing it off as useless rantings at the time

brickhousesupporter
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:20 PM
it was lizchris...i wish i could locate it cause i remember people writing it off as useless rantings at the time
Funny, I thought it was Volcana.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
one of them :lol: i remember the thread though

debby
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I said that last summer when her camp said she had torn tendons in her rotator cuff. I said last summber that a major league baseball picher had something similar and he was out for about 18 months and when he came back, he was never the same. This much I believe; she is not playing on the clay courts, including the French Open, should she withdraw from Birmingham, she will not play Wimbledon and if she plans on playing the US Open, she will have to play at least two hardcourt tournaments to be ready. If she doesn't playl the USO, then don't expect to see her until 2010.

Dont' be surprised if her first tournament in 2009 is Wimbledon. I was out of the country when I heard the bad news about her injuiry and having to withdarw from the Olympics and the USO. If she has a torn rotator cuff, which I believe she has, she isn't going to be back anytime soon; in fact, she could be out for most, if not all, of 2009 if she has to have sugery.

^^

CiarŠn
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm really happy! Never thought I would see this day :lol: Hopefully she's a refreshed and rejuvenated player now and gets back to her winning ways :D

rochelle100
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Bring back Yuri!!!

jo„o.
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Bring back Yuri!!!

This.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I never thought the reason she's playing badly was because of Michael, nor do I think Michael is bad for her. I don't think this is a good decision. But we shall see, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Monzanator
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Where did I say that? :unsure: I'm not sure you're extrapolating the right ideas from my posts :tape:

Well...

I have no idea what fuels your joy, either your faves wins or your hated's losses. I have no evidence to believe in whatever you say ( you're quite happy to use the word evidence when talking about Maria's coaching problems or rather pointing elsewhere for reasons of below-par performances, so allow me to use it as well). The fact that Joyce was unable to get rid of her problems (mental, self-belief, whatever) is easy to spot and doesn't require Einsten theory to be justified. 2010 was as bad as it could have been and some changes were absolutely neccessary to try at least improve the sporting level. There were number of calls for Yuri to go away first and then Joyce to hit the road as well. Mind you, Joyce was no more then a hitting partner rather then a coach expert before and his status upgraded over the years without any valid reason apart from Maria needing a compatriot whilst travelling on the tour. Joyce was always providing more motivation to Maria's game rather then strict coaching lessons (well, his lessons could have been good enough for ITF club level, but not exactly for multiple GS champion).

All in all, even if I've misread your Maria's retirement pleas then I'm pretty sure you're not cheering for her comeback into the real top flight on the tour. That's OK with me, your impassive comments are still better then some other wise ass' whose name I won't bother mentioning...

Stonerpova
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I think Joyce is a good coach, but only when Yuri was around. Yuri's instensity kept Maria motivated, and Joyce's lax nature was a good foil for Yuri. But since Yuri stopped traveling with her, all she's had was Joyce, a nice, relaxed guy, and maybe that's not enough for her anymore. I remember a few years back (I think 2004) when Sharapova said she didn't want her coach to be a nice guy. Joyce now seems more to me like a pal than a coach. But who really knows. I just want her to win slams again. I want her camp to be full of the best people to help her achieve that.

Otlichno
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I think Joyce is a good coach, but only when Yuri was around. Yuri's instensity kept Maria motivated, and Joyce's lax nature was a good foil for Yuri. But since Yuri stopped traveling with her, all she's had was Joyce, a nice, relaxed guy, and maybe that's not enough for her anymore. I remember a few years back (I think 2004) when Sharapova said she didn't want her coach to be a nice guy. Joyce now seems more to me like a pal than a coach. But who really knows. I just want her to win slams again. I want her camp to be full of the best people to help her achieve that.

This.

Jacey
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I never thought the reason she's playing badly was because of Michael, nor do I think Michael is bad for her. I don't think this is a good decision. But we shall see, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Agreed

I think Michael always gave it to her straight. At least thats what I got from hearing alot of his on court coaching talks with her. He would tell her whats she's doing wrong, what she needed to do and was always positive with her. I think Maria after awhile stopped listening to him. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Joyce's idea that he leave just like it was his idea of bringing in a new coach.

and just like you Teerin...if proven wrong I will be as happy as can be if Masha makes a decent run here.

Ferg
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I suppose she'll win grand slams now. joyce was OBVVIOUSLY the problem.

cellophane
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM
OK what the fuckery? Where the heck did this Martha nickname come from? Is it because Maria is the new Domachowska or something?

Spiritof42
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Good move. I'm taking a break from Joyce too. Finnegans Wake is a bitch to read.

HRHoliviasmith
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:54 PM

:haha:

Ryan
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Can't hurt to shake it up. Needs Yuri there IMO.

cn ireland
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Interesting news.

I hope it's a good move for Maria!!

GrandMartha
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:17 PM
OK what the fuckery? Where the heck did this Martha nickname come from? Is it because Maria is the new Domachowska or something?

I was going to ask the same question. I must have missed something that some idiot, who called himself journalist, wrote. Please someone enlighten us :p

rochelle100
Jan 15th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I don't like the Martha nickname, I think it's stupid.

MiiMo
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I don't like the Martha nickname, I think it's stupid.

This :worship:

alfonsojose
Jan 15th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Martha? Why?

thegreendestiny
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Yuri needs to go back to work.

Monzanator
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM

Your irony is OBVIOUSLY as poor as Maria's 2010 season :lol:

NeoZod19
Jan 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Joyce was not necessary the problem. He is simply not able to help Maria based on her current status i.e back from the injuries. It's too much for him to deal with. This is when you define good and great coach!

I hope Maria will listen to her new coach and respect him as well. You know it's never easy sometime to deal with so popular athlete! ;)

hurricanejeanne
Jan 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Yay, but I'd feel a lot better about Maria's chances if Yuri was back in her box but it's good to know she's attempting to try something else to get to where she belongs.

rochelle100
Jan 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm so hoping I see Yuri sitting her box this AO

Corswandt
Jan 16th, 2011, 07:53 PM
This either means that there are serious disagreements in Martha's camp about the way to go to improve her current (dismal) form, or that some people are beginning to realize that nothing can be done to fix Martha's game and accordingly there is no point in staying alongside her any further.

A very bad sign regardless.

sfan
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM
I believe in Maria, she knows what is best for her, not some people from Tennisforum.

timafi
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:44 PM
good for her:yeah:
if the ball toss can be steady he might have her serve and volley more to keep the rallies extra short that will make it easier on her shoulder until she gains some more confidence:shrug:

he got Haas to be very aggressive in 2009 and it worked for Tommy on ALL surfaces;it will be up to Maria now to want to go down that route:shrug: :)

pokey camp
Jan 16th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Pretty much this. :shrug:

Bezz
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:09 AM
I think maria sounds alot like lindsay davenport now....just thought i would mention it ;).