PDA

View Full Version : The Worthless Seed Report

Temperenka
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Sorry if it has already been posted, but....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_wertheim/01/14/australian.open.womens.seed.report/index.html

He has Clijsters beating Vika in the final.

Stupid comments galore and no mention of the Bondarenko sisters.

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Jarmila Groth: When she's not undressing her husband (verbally, that is), she's been winning lots of matches. :spit:

sky20748
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:14 PM
U are right, completely worthless report indeed!:rolleyes:

Break My Rapture
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
24. Alida Kelybanova: Big, powerful Russian.

:bigcry:

Ellery
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:21 PM
:haha: at Alida Kelybanova

matthias
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
no word on kvitova :help:

njnetswill
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Lucie for SF :rocker2: :lol:

nevetssllim
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:29 PM
27. Alexandra Dulgheru: The best player you've never heard of.

He said that the last time!

Hurley
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM

He said that the last time!

He's probably going to say that for the rest of her career.

The best part is when he is picking a doubles winner and says "Why not a third Slam in a row" for King and Shvedova. I can give him a pretty solid reason as to why not.

iPatty
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Azarenka beating Henin in a Slam semifinal. :spit:

Who decided to pay this guy, seriously? SMMFH.

Shvedbarilescu
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Well it's nothing new, that's for sure. But actually it's no worse than most of the stuff I read in this forum. In fact one could almost think he was poaching his assessments of the players from those in this very forum. :lol:

sunsfuns
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:57 PM
What's so awful about it? Clijsters def Azarenka is a reasonably likely final.

Sharapovian
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM
Alida Kelybanova

:spit:

debopero
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Well it's nothing new, that's for sure. But actually it's no worse than most of the stuff I read in this forum. In fact one could almost think he was poaching his assessments of the players from those in this very forum. :lol:

I'll go out on a limb and say 60% of the people who post here are more informed about tennis than he is :spit: .

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of Azarenka beating Henin in a Grand Slam semifinal.

Temperenka
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:01 PM
What's so awful about it? Clijsters def Azarenka is a reasonably likely final.

His reports are usually fairly painful. This one is a bit better than usual.

Bismarck.
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Worthless is a very good word to describe Jon Wertheim's opinion. :lol:

Temperenka
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:06 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say 60% of the people who post here are more informed about tennis than he is :spit: .

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of Azarenka beating Henin in a Grand Slam semifinal.

As a big fan of Victoria, I understand your confusion. She has never been in the semis before and with her hit or miss mental strength, she could really struggle under the spotlight. Especially against an established player like Justine.

I guess weirder things have happened though. (e.g. Bartoli def. Henin in the Wimbledon semis)

I'm glad he believes in Vika's potential though. Makes me happy as a fan. :)

debopero
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:09 PM
As a big fan of Victoria, I understand your confusion. She has never been in the semis before and with her hit or miss mental strength, she could really struggle under the spotlight. Especially against an established player like Justine.

I guess weirder things have happened though. (e.g. Bartoli def. Henin in the Wimbledon semis)

I'm glad he believes in Vika's potential though. Makes me happy as a fan. :)

What I bolded is true. Plus, if Victoria plays like she did against Serena last year it would not be completely out of the question...she is just way to unpredictable though.

watchdogfish
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:13 PM
16. Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova: Russian comer still looking for her Slam breakthrough.

What does Russian comer mean? :unsure:

The Dawntreader
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:17 PM
LOL at Azarenka being described as level-headed. Amongst other things, this is one of her bigger failings on court. Oscilates between decently competing and flat-out imploding. Not the recipe for beating such a ruthless match-player in Henin.

The thought of a Clijsters-Azarenka Slam final is one of the most absurd things i've heard for some time.

Curcubeu
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:22 PM
At least Dulgheru seems to be that known to him that he thinks it is worth writing about her! :p
But this comment is only a waste of time...

Bismarck.
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:22 PM
What does Russian comer mean? :unsure:

Maybe he got confused between her and Vesnina. :giggle:

Polikarpov
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:24 PM
LOL at Azarenka being described as level-headed. Amongst other things, this is one of her bigger failings on court. Oscilates between decently competing and flat-out imploding. Not the recipe for beating such a ruthless match-player in Henin.

The thought of a Clijsters-Azarenka Slam final is one of the most absurd things i've heard for some time.

It's really baffling. Steve Tignor also predicted Azarenka to beat Henin.

The Dawntreader
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:28 PM
It's really baffling. Steve Tignor also predicted Azarenka to beat Henin.

It's so random. It's like he's been living in a parralel universe where Azarenka is God.

Stevecw
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Haha this guy is crazy!! Vika getting to the final, and calling her level headed!! :lol: :confused:

sunsfuns
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Azarenka is capable of beating Henin in a slam. I wouldn't bet money on it, but it is NOT so outrageous as some "experts" here claim. The current version of Justine is hardly unbeatable on hard courts and AO is Vika's best slam.

Smitten
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Azarenka should throw a party if she even reaches the QF let alone a final or a win.

Break My Rapture
Jan 14th, 2011, 09:35 PM
Maybe he got confused between her and Vesnina. :giggle:
:hysteric:

In The Zone
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:09 AM
There are only about 10 people on this forum who have any clue about tennis. Why should I expect a tennis writer to, as well?

Hogwash! I'll let the players play it out.

Sean.
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Vera doesn't have Ana's forehand or Serena's serve, but to call her weaponless is a bit harsh!

CrossCourt~Rally
Jan 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
There are only about 10 people on this forum who have any clue about tennis. Why should I expect a tennis writer to, as well?
Hogwash! I'll let the players play it out.

Don't hold it against him :p

Imperfect Angel
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:23 AM
I wonder why so many people would care about who that guy picks.:lol:

Leo
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:26 AM
29. Dominika Cibulkova: Top 10 talent when her head is on straight.
31. Lucie Safarova: The female Berdych, a dangerous player whose results oscillate wildly.

Collective :spit: :spit: :lol:

Pops Maellard
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Is Safarova a top 10 player and Wimbledon finalist? No. :lol:

hellas719
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Safarova = Female Berdych? :spit:
I know they're dating and they're both Czech and blonde, but their games are not similar at all :tape:

justineheninfan
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:13 AM
ROTFL at Azarenka beating Henin in the semis. If Henin makes it that far she would never lose to a mental midget like her.

Claycourter
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:03 AM
If Azarenka reaches SF and beats Henin there according to that prediction, I will never watch women's tennis or post on this forum ever again.

sammy01
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:24 AM
If Azarenka reaches SF and beats Henin there according to that prediction, I will never watch women's tennis or post on this forum ever again.

i'v found my 1st ever reason to cheer for vika :tape:

InsideOut.
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:51 AM

:speakles:

claypova
Jan 15th, 2011, 06:52 AM

OMG VIKA PLEEEEEASE WIN THiSSS!!!!1111!!111

Corswandt
Jan 16th, 2011, 08:18 PM

Shriekarenka is actually a fairly good match player - when facing lower ranked opposition, that is. She won the Kremlin Cup largely on account of that (check BP conversion rates of her matches there).

As for Worthless, I suspect that the reason he repeats some stuff from Slam to Slam regardless of it making any actual sense is that to write these reports, he merely opens and edits the same file he used for the previous Grand Slams.

And the reason for him being so often flat out wrong about the #15-35 ranked players is probably that he has seen them play a couple of times at most, only once several years ago, or maybe even never. Tennis reporters apparently have more important things to do with their time than watching tennis matches.

A-Bond
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:09 PM
The Dulgheru joke never gets old :lol::haha: And 2nd Semi Clijsters def. total Shocker (let's say Safarova) :D

silverwhite
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Stranger things have happened :shrug: *cough* Bartoli *cough*

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:48 PM
It's so random. It's like he's been living in a parralel universe where Azarenka is God.
As if you need to be God to beat Henin in the semifinal of a GS. Even Bartoli has done it.

The Dawntreader
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:52 PM
As if you need to be God to beat Henin in the semifinal of a GS. Even Bartoli has done it.

Are you implying Bartoli isn't a God?:eek:

*runs off crying*

:p:lol:

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 09:56 PM
Are you implying Bartoli isn't a God?:eek:

*runs off crying*

:p:lol:

gociku
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:01 PM
So does this mean Clijsters won't win because she got the death call?

Sammo
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:04 PM
So does this mean Clijsters won't win because she got the death call?

42GX-tTUisk

shap_half
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:21 PM

It's interesting that Bartoli is actually only one of four women to defeat Henin in a slam SF.

Smitten
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Yes and even Bartoli has actually reached the SF of a slam. Something someone has never done. :lol:

Break My Rapture
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:27 PM
It's interesting that Bartoli is actually only one of four women to defeat Henin in a slam SF.
Yeah kinda, Bartoli may seem a bit random between the other 3.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:05 AM

come on vika :hysteric:

justineheninfan
Jan 17th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Saying anyone can beat Henin in a slam semi since Bartoli did it is akin to saying anyone could beat Boris Becker at Wimbledon since Peter Doohan did it. Yet it turns out the 2nd worst grass court player to beat Becker at Wimbledon was either Wimbledon Champions Andre Agassi or Michael Stich in the years they won Wimbledon. All Bartoli means is Henin has probably already had the fluke loss in a slam semifinal for her career, and someone like Azarenka wont ever pull that off until she rises to a caliber of player who is above what would qualify as that (which she hasnt yet).

Tennis Fool
Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:28 AM
Bump.

claypova
Jan 23rd, 2011, 02:39 AM
come on vika :hysteric:

im so dissappointed :(

Temperenka
Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Heartbroken.

Tennis Fool
Jan 29th, 2011, 05:08 PM
... And after the fact. He got the winner right. I guess that's all that matters.

Temperenka
Jan 29th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Him, every analyst I heard, and about 75% of this board. :worship: