PDA

View Full Version : Which half plays on Monday?

BlueTrees
Jan 14th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Top or bottom? Doesn't the defending champion usually play on Day 1 but seeing as Serena isn't playing...I'm not sure what's going to happen.

BlueTrees
Jan 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Will it be Wozniacki's half? Because she's the #1 seed and Jankovic (#1 seed) opened up on Day 1 when Sharapova was absent...

eck
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I don't think so.
I think the "champion opens the match for GS" only applies to Wimbledon.

I think AO will organise it to fit the male players and for the sake of $$.
And generally, the first match at RLA is a snorefest :o

MiiMo
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Last Year, it was Sharapova that openend the AO. So it's not about first seed...

Miss Amor
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Last Year, it was Sharapova that openend the AO. So it's not about first seed...

No, but Sharapova was treated as a defending champion at AO 2010 (just like Clijsters at USO in 2009).

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:50 PM
got a feeling it will be decided by Q (although it never has before but cos of rain..............)

7 qualifiers in top half
5 in bottom
so bottom goes 1st.

Cp6uja
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Mostly (but not always) AO organizers put previous year ATP and WTA AO winners to play different days. Because Serena is w/o I guess ATP AO 2010 champion (Federer) will probably play in monday, and I guess replacement for 2010 WTA AO winner Serena will be 2011 WTA AO top seed Wozniacki, so she will play in tuesday. So my prediction is that in monday will play bottom halfs of both draws (mens and womens), but I'm not much sure about that.

Ralph214
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Monday OOP is up. Top half will play and Sharapova will open RLA.

Elisse
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM
got a feeling it will be decided by Q (although it never has before but cos of rain..............)

7 qualifiers in top half
5 in bottom
so bottom goes 1st.

Can't believe they playing top half first, would have made more sense to play bottom section with less qualifiers :help: This year it feels like the AO organisers have never organised a tourney in their lives :o

Jorn
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:24 PM
When the defending champion don't play the WTA No. 1 will be on day 1. It seems...

There's a Q vs Q spot on Monday so it won't matter much how much rest the Qualifiers get...

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:12 PM
they've done it for the men the way i said cos of more qualifiers in Nadal's half.