PDA

View Full Version : Toughest Quarter @ AO 2011 ???

SAISAI-GOAT
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Quarter #1: Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Wickmayer, Groth, Bartoli, Henin, Kuznetsova, Schiavone

Quarter #2: Venus, Sharapova, Li, Dokic, Rezai, Hantuchova, Azarenka

Quarter #3: Jankovic, Peng, Kleybanova, Petrova, Ivanovic, Safina, Clijsters

Quarter #4: Stosur, Pennetta, Peer, Pavlychenkova, Kirilenko, Jovanovski, Zvonareva

looks like my NaNa landed in the toughest quarter with Venus, Ma$ha and Azarenka :sobbing: those could have been the four semi-finalists :rolleyes:

Zvonareva got a cakewalk quarter and will make the SF easily :rolleyes:

Henin will probably make the SF too :hearts: but so will Kim :sad:

Lord Choc Ice
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Kimothy's.

Yorker
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:09 AM
1, 2, and 3 are actually pretty even, however 4 is by far the easiest.

Marionated
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:10 AM

DragonFlame
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Very balanced out draw. I really like it.

I'd say the top3 quarters are all really fun to watch. The 4th won't hold any of my interest. Couldnt choose between the top3 really...

Claycourter

:zzz:

goldenlox
Vera has the good quarter.
I think the top one with Caro, Justine & Sveta is toughest.
Kim's is tough because Kim is in it.
Then Li/Venus/Vika.

Uranium
1. Caro's draw
2. Venus' draw
3. Kim's draw
4. Vera's draw.

Drake1980
#1 but pretty balanced really.

Ralph214
It's harder to predict the winner of the 2nd quarter IMHO :confused:

Sean.
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Vera has her nemesis in her quarter! It's not that easy for her.

SELVEN
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Quarter3>Quarter1>Quarter2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quarter4

LefandePatty
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Kimberly, because Patty is in this quarter. :D

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:16 AM
last quarter is so easy compared to other 3...

The 2nd Law
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:19 AM
1, 2 and 3 are all pretty even. 4 is a cakewalk for Vera.

DownInAHole
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Vera has her nemesis in her quarter! It's not that easy for her.

And Caroline has her (recent) nemesis Cibulkova. Plus Bartoli knocked Caroline out in Cincinnati last year.

doooma6816
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:21 AM
2nd. It's hard to predict who will win 2nd quater...Venus, Sharapova, Azarenka...
Then 1st and 3rd are the same, but if everything go well Justine should win that, Caro is in bad form, Kuzzy also not at her best, Franny was injured. Kim should win 3rd quater but some girls can make an upste: Ana, Alisa, Nadia...

4th by far the weakest, if Vera plays well that's pretty obvious she'll make SF.

Ryan
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Wow, first three quarters are STACKED. I'd say the first and second are toughest.

Cp6uja
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:29 AM
I agree, this draw is very balanced:
Quarter-3 has 4xWTA#1 players and Quarter-4 has 1xTOP4 player :p
4==>1 and 1<==4 seems like perfect symmetry to me :rolleyes:

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Vera has to play Bojo in round 2, and Kirilenko in round 4 who made the quaters last year...so its not that easy for vera.:cool:

Marty-Dom
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:44 AM
Quarter #1: Wozniacki, Cibulkova, Wickmayer, Groth, Bartoli, Henin, Kuznetsova, Schiavone

Quarter #2: Venus, Sharapova, Li, Dokic, Rezai, Hantuchova, Azarenka

Quarter #3: Jankovic, Peng, Kleybanova, Petrova, Ivanovic, Safina, Clijsters

Quarter #4: Stosur, Pennetta, Peer, Pavlychenkova, Kirilenko, Jovanovski, Zvonareva

looks like my NaNa landed in the toughest quarter with Venus, Ma$ha and Azarenka :sobbing: those could have been the four semi-finalists :rolleyes:

Zvonareva got a cakewalk quarter and will make the SF easily :rolleyes:

Henin will probably make the SF too :hearts: but so will Kim :sad:

Quarter #1: 10 slams, two previous #1's, current #1
Quarter #2: 10 slams, two previous #1's
Quarter #3: 4 slams. four previous #1's
Quarter #4: no slams, no #1's

In that order.

Ryan
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:51 AM
Vera has to play Bojo in round 2, and Kirilenko in round 4 who made the quaters last year...so its not that easy for vera.:cool:

Stop pretending Bojo and Kirilenko are threats. :sobbing:

Root
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:54 AM
:zzz:

That's a cakewalk for Henin.

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:56 AM

who said i was pretending? have you watched what both girls are capable of when they play at their best? Vera can be in a bit of trouble if they both play well against her, and vera has a bit of an off game. Kirilenko gave her a run for her money in Beijing last year.

Stonerpova
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Quarter two is the hardest to predict, and I think the toughest. Q1 is rough on paper, but I still think Henin will make it through :mad:. Neither Kim or especially Vera will complain about their draws. I'd love to see Aussie Ana beat Aussie Kim though :hearts:

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM
People who dont know about Vera's nemesis, watch the Charleston final last year.
Stosur owns Zvonareva.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:23 AM
The poll says it all, the first and third quarters are the toughest and the 4th one is a complete joke :help:

Stonerpova
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Stosur owns Zvonareva.

On clay. Vera would pick Stosur apart on plexicushion.

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:31 AM

Charleston isn't a clay surface.:)

RenaSlam.
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:33 AM
Vera's draw is literally a joke.

goldenlox
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Vera might need Kvitova to beat Stosur. Otherwise, it's a Tier III type draw for a few rounds.

Sean.
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:38 AM

Vera can't handle Sam's topspin serve & forehand on any surface (except maybe grass).

Stonerpova
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Charleston isn't a clay surface.

Uh yes it is? It's green, but it's clay, my friend.

Vera can't handle Sam's topspin serve & forehand on any surface (except maybe grass).

Nah she returns pretty well and Stosur doesn't get nearly the height on the ball she gets on clay. Plus, Sammie has been too inconsistent with the forehand in what I saw of her tune-up matches. I'd take Vera in two tight sets in that potential matchup :)

SymphonyX
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Caroline "Number One" Wozniacki got Henin. Nuff' said.

Ryan
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:50 AM
If Caroline makes the Quarters now I'll be fuckin ecstatic. :lol: Hope Kuzzie beats Henin. :p

jimmy_the_greek
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Uh yes it is? It's green, but it's clay, my friend.

my bad then:o from tv it just looks like synthetic grass with sand on it.:o

pav
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:56 AM
I too am worried about the Bepaquarter :sad: She has nemesis Sam ,nemesis Flavour, Kiri has stretched the shit out of her lately, upward moving Bojo,Kvit, Pav etc, hell I'll have to go and get one of the heading dogs to give me some counciling:sad:

Frontin
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:59 AM

Unfortunately.

s2crux
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:40 AM
Maybe vere will lose bojana in 2nd round

Frontin
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Well then that would confirm she is not the No. 2 player in the world lol

Stonerpova
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Vera is the player that no one has any faith in. :lol: Am I the only one who can see her winning the whole thing?

VeeJJ
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:02 AM
Jelena!!! :cheer: Easy road to the Quarters!!!!! :cheer: And if she is playing well she can actually beat Clijsters :lol: But I won't get ahead of myself just yet.

claypova
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:17 AM

please, Sam has dismantled Vera on surfaces outside clay many times.

danieln1
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:19 AM
Kimberly, because VIP is in the quarter! :haha:

Zvonareva draw is just ridiculous, she wont lose a lot of games, but she might be troubled against Peneta and Samanta

Sp!ffy
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:22 AM
If Kvitova is in Vera's quarter then I must say this draw is beautifully balanced.

VeeJJ
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:24 AM

Bojo is a totally threat to Vera. especially right now. vera has no good match play and she just lost to Penetta who got beaten by Bojo.

doni1212
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Oops! I thought I was voting for the easiest quarter, :rolls:

sakya23
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:43 AM
caro, vera got cakewalk

Spring Pools
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:53 AM
There are some ticking timebombs in each of the quarters. Remember that Clijsters might lose 6-0 6-1 to Petrova again...

_Cell-chuk
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Quarter 1 is the toughest

pav
Jan 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM
One writer's (Stephanie Myles) opinion

Toughest draw: Zvonareva the Russian has quality hard-court players one after the other along the way
Easiest draw: Henin who could have two qualifiers before a tricky third-rounder against Kuznetsova.
Biggest first-round potential upset: Makarova over Ivanovic. Makarova is capable, even if she rarely does it; Ivanovic has health questions going

Sp!ffy
Jan 14th, 2011, 07:11 AM
One writer's (Stephanie Myles) opinion

Toughest draw: Zvonareva the Russian has quality hard-court players one after the other along the way
Easiest draw: Henin who could have two qualifiers before a tricky third-rounder against Kuznetsova.
Biggest first-round potential upset: Makarova over Ivanovic. Makarova is capable, even if she rarely does it; Ivanovic has health questions going

I disagree with everything she said. :unsure:

AnDrEi.b
Jan 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Caro`s quarter

Jedna je Jelena
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Quarter 3 is like a VIP ! :D

klever58
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:53 PM
top is tough, bottom is :help:

SAISAI-GOAT
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I don't see how anyone could not vote for Venus' quarter

Na Li was SF last year and just won Sydney
Sharapova a former winner
Venus a former finalist
Azarenka has played her best tennis here the past few years and only lost to Serena

SAISAI-GOAT
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Caro's quarter is EASY :sobbing:

injured Schiavone and Marion are not threats at all :shrug:

FORZA SARITA
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Caro's quarter is EASY :sobbing:

injured Schiavone and Marion are not threats at all :shrug:

Bartoli won their last match :lol:
in R3 she will probably play again Cibulkova and you forget Justine :lol:

Jorn
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:16 PM

They can all beat Caro on a good day... so no1.

LCS
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Bottom half is such a joke :spit:

Safina :help: talk about luck...

LOL at Woz getting Cibulkova again in the early rounds.

Good draw for Dokic.

Cakewalk stuff for Henin as usual :rolleyes:

Mr.Sharapova
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:31 PM
The 1st one has Henin,Kuznetsova and Wozniacki so maybe that is considered to be as the toughest one.
But the most amazing matches will happen in the 2nd one if all the players are fit :yeah:

Alejandrawrrr
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I voted 2, but 1 is pretty much equally as tough.

Scola
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:43 PM
It's ridiculous how people keep saying Vera's quarter is a joke.:o

It's not just about names, but also about match ups and current form. Start against retriever like Bammer is literally a horror. She makes lot of upsets. No one wants her in 1R. Jovanovski made a semi in last big tournament. Possible 3+ hours marathon! And then Safarova or Zakopalova, two big hitters = always dangerous.

And that's only beginning, because later Vera can (and will) meet Pennetta or Stosur. She has negative H2H against both of them (4-9). Absolute nightmare for her.

I'm not saying other quarters are easy or something, but don't judge this only based on history!

jiri-nedved
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:54 PM
quarter 4 also has kvitova and safarova who are both dangerous players, the thread seems to have missed some players.

pedropt
Jan 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM
So weird to see Lena's name missing :sad:

Freshi
Jan 14th, 2011, 07:16 PM
i think Wozniacki - Henin

Soliloque
Jan 15th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The draw is awful. Top half is a nightmare, bottom half is a cakewalk.

Second Quarter is for me the toughest : Venus is always dangerous, Azarenka is a threat to anyone in Melbourne, Li is in very good form and Maria a former champ. With them, three players can make the surprise : Kanepi, Rezai and Petkovic.

Then the first quarter : Wozniacki, Cibulkova and Bartoli might be dangerous for each other, but they're not winning this anyway. The Schiavone-Kuznetsova-Henin part is interesting especially with Henin being a little bit rusty without a lot of matchplay, Henin has to be beaten early, if she reaches the quarters, she'll be the favourite for the title.

Then, Zvonareva's quarter : seems easy but come on. Zvonareva and Stosur are top players now, they're are with Pavlyuchenkova and Peer (who plays well in Melbourne) and they're with two dangerous Czech ballbasher : Safarova and Kvitova. Pennetta and Jovanovski are looming.

By far the easiest quarter, Kim's one. Who's in form here ? Jankovic ? Safina ? Radwanska ? Petrova ? No, just Clijsters, Kleybanova and Ivanovic (kinda).

Mistress of Evil
Jan 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Quarter3>Quarter1>Quarter2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Quarter4

:yeah:

So weird to see Lena's name missing :sad:

:bigcry:

Claycourter
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
The 1st one has Henin,Kuznetsova and Wozniacki so maybe that is considered to be as the toughest one.
But the most amazing matches will happen in the 2nd one if all the players are fit :yeah:

The most amazing matches will be in first quarter. Justine vs Kuznetsova should be an amazing match, where Justine will show us that variety will triumph over mindless ball bashing. Then Justine vs Schiavone who has great variety and court smarts, but will ultimately fall to a player who can execute the same tactics 300% better. Then an ultimate cracker of a match - an upstart kid Caro vs the legend herself, Justine. I imagine Justine prevailing in two tough, entertaining sets. The rest of the draws are :zzz: I will probably not even bother watching.

Steven.
Jan 15th, 2011, 01:27 PM
It's ridiculous how people keep saying Vera's quarter is a joke.:o

It's not just about names, but also about match ups and current form. Start against retriever like Bammer is literally a horror. She makes lot of upsets. No one wants her in 1R. Jovanovski made a semi in last big tournament. Possible 3+ hours marathon! And then Safarova or Zakopalova, two big hitters = always dangerous.

And that's only beginning, because later Vera can (and will) meet Pennetta or Stosur. She has negative H2H against both of them (4-9). Absolute nightmare for her.

I'm not saying other quarters are easy or something, but don't judge this only based on history!

:yeah:

1 or 2 though IMO.