PDA

View Full Version : Maria's new coach...

s_j
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Apparently she had the best off-season ever with him... But, what has he actually done to her but in fact make her worse? Those last 3 matches of Maria were the worst I've ever seen her play. Wow, and that's saying a lot.

Fire him! Hire Lansdorp!!!

Ferg
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:50 AM
Maybe...... Maybe... its her thats the problem?

hablo
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Maybe...... Maybe... its her thats the problem?

Hush! It's always the coach's fault though. :p

Slutati
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:52 AM
LOL. Sharapova stans are so cute when they start overreacting and dramatizing :lol: Sweet Cleo would be so proud!

doni1212
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Sharapova needs to get it together because we can't have the Pusher scraping through again, getting further than she should :o

s_j
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Seriously, though! He's had a month or so to shake things up and give her a new spin on things - change her mentality! But she's exactly the same as last year... Or worse! I'm seriously hoping it's simply to do with lack of matchplay. Only time will tell.

doooma6816
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:04 AM
Seriously, though! He's had a month or so to shake things up and give her a new spin on things - change her mentality! But she's exactly the same as last year... Or worse! I'm seriously hoping it's simply to do with lack of matchplay. Only time will tell.
Rather worse. At the US Open her shots were at least with a lot of power, deep...now she hasn't got anything.
She played very well in first three rounds at US and at Cincinnati. She lost to Caro because of DFs and to many UEs. Her new coach should have helped her to make less UEs, not make more UEs and lost groundstrokes.:(

Kipling
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:09 AM
Three matches?

Has this what's it's come to in 2011?

Man, if Lombardi or Landry or Shula or Knoll had been subject to those standards, none of them would have survived long enough to win a Super Bowl.

So whatever they worked on in the days or weeks they have been together haven't come to fruition. Yet. Now they will go back to the drawing board, like any good team would do, analyzing and making adjustments and trying out new things. You don't panic like a ten year old after three days of non results. Or a forum of ten year olds.

She asked someone to make changes to a game she's had for years. Of course there are going to be glitches. She has to get used to a new way of doing things. It takes time. She'll get there.

IMO a bigger issue is motivation. The settling down thing is a big question mark. Women especially, when they want to settle down, start a family, they lose the drive that helps them reach the top so easily early in their careers. It happened with Evert to an extent--around 1980 or so she nearly burned out after Lloyd came along. The passion came back for her, but you sort of get the sense with Sharapova that tennis isn't her biggest priority these days. Her mind doesn't seem focused on the game. Not like it was.

Cakeisgood
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:19 AM
Calm yo asses down fellow Mashabators.

BuTtErFrEnA
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:27 AM
over dramatic much? :lol:

ZODIAC
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
she has to bring back Yuri because he was good at boosting her morale.

M.P
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:29 AM
she just needs some time to changing things up what she get used to be on court and in competition

Ryan
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:30 AM
over dramatic much? :lol:

It's Maria fans, are you surprised? She's either the GOAT or the COAT (Chump-of-all-time). ;)

goldenlox
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Its possible the new coach is trying to make some minor technique changes, and its one step back before moving forward.

We wont know until she plays this major, and it might take months longer than that.

Aaron.
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Maria will suck until she learns how to move around the court. The game is too slower now and she dosen't have as much bite on her balls. Also her serve can't put her in a offensive position anymore

KBlade
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but, where the hell is Yuri?

matty
Jan 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I think some of the posters here are rather young and have little life experience otherwise they would understand the ups and down of a person's and/or star athlete's life. Maria is not a machine. Once, she was a cocky, super confident teenager and rightly so with her amazing success. With the struggles of the past few years, she has come back to planet earth and lost some of that young, know it all personality we have in our teens and early 20's. She's been at this since she was a little kid--she may be a little sick of it. She probably should take a break in the next year or so and then comeback with a differnet perspective. Maybe she needs to be in love for awhile, have her companionship, have a family, a child.....she's not a robot--she needs a life. I was never a fan of hers, but i think it's pretty lame and immature how some people only like her when she's on top and then kick her when she's down. That's just not realistic. We are all mortal, even Maria.

swissmr
Jan 6th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Maria will suck until she learns how to move around the court. The game is too slower now and she dosen't have as much bite on her balls. Also her serve can't put her in a offensive position anymore

Damn, in their attempts to stop the black players dominating, they ended up ruining Maria's game :mad:

:angel:

hurricanejeanne
Jan 6th, 2011, 05:16 PM
It will either click with the new coach or it won't, one tournament doesn't really spell failure yet. It's been said already but I'll echo it: she needs Yuri back.

Vincey!
Jan 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'd say we wait a few more tourments before asking for her coach's head :p But I do find that quite ridiculous that she has a new coach but crazy Michael Joyce is still the one going on court to coach her :o

AnDrEi.b
Jan 6th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I'd say we wait a few more tourments before asking for her coach's head :p But I do find that quite ridiculous that she has a new coach but crazy Michael Joyce is still the one going on court to coach her :o

Agree

Andy.
Jan 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
I wish she would have gotten Lansdorp back on board. Even if she had to go begging on her knees. He is the king of ground strokes and he would be the ideal person to get them back.