View Full Version : Four Weddings and One Funeral, or, Eileen Bennett and the Biographer’s Difficulties

Dec 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM
By Mark Ryan

Eileen Bennett was not a great tennis player. She is barely remembered today and when reference is made to her it is more often than not because of her physical beauty, how she looked and what she wore, rather than her achievements on a tennis court. This was even truer in Bennett’s day than it is now, when women’s tennis was often seen as a sideshow to the men’s game and when most journalists were male.

In 1931, one of her most successful years, when she reached the final of the singles at the US Nationals, “Time” magazine had this to say of Eileen Bennett (then Mrs Fearnley-Whittingstall): “Still the prettiest and best-dressed of woman tennis players, her game has improved brilliantly this year.” Such comments were commonplace at that time.

Things are somewhat different nowadays and it would be wrong to take the present time as a template and try to place it on the 1920s or 1930s, when Eileen Bennett was playing tournament tennis. Nowadays, even with her somewhat limited success on the courts, she would be a millionaire several times over and probably earning millions from clothing companies and for posing for calendars, etc.

But Bennett’s options were limited back then, as, indeed, were male tennis players’ in an era when the sport was amateur and the words “professional” and “money” went hand-in-hand and both were considered dirty. Financial assistance was required, from a player’s national tennis association, from a parent or from another legitimate sponsor of some kind. It helped if a player came from a well-to-do background, like the French player Diddie Vlasto or Lili de Alvarez of Spain. No doubt it also helped if a player’s husband or wife was rich. And here we come to another reason why Eileen Bennett is still remembered today, if at all – for her husbands, four in all.

The names of these four men have also come down to us and, in the case of the first two at least, not just in connection with Eileen Bennett. Husbands numbers three and four, whom Eileen Bennett married in 1947 and 1957 respectively, are much more obscure figures. In fact, all that this burrower has been able to find out about them is their names, and when and where they married Eileen Bennett. This information was found on the internet, a tool which ultimately provides only limited help, and even then it is usually very difficult to check and confirm sources.

Wikipedia, the “online encyclopaedia” is a good case in point. Under “Eileen Bennett” it provides her correct date of birth (16 July 1907), but does not give her place of birth (Paddington, London). It indicates, again correctly, that she died in 1979, though no specific date is given, nor is her place of death. It also describes her as “a female tennis player from the United Kingdom who won six Grand Slam doubles titles from 1927 to 1931”. Again, this is true. For the rest, it provides her most successful tennis results, in singles, doubles and mixed, and finishes by stating that, “According to Wallis Myers of ‘The Daily Telegraph’ and ‘The Daily Mail’, Whittingstall was ranked in the world top ten in 1928, 1929, 1931 and 1932, reaching a career high of World No. 3 in those rankings in 1931. She was married to Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall, a painter. She is credited with first wearing an above-the-knee form of divided skirt for competitive tennis.”

Most of this additional information appears to be true. Certainly, she was married to Edmund (Owen) Fearnley-Whittingstall, this gentleman being her first husband. (Interestingly, the wikipedia entry has “Eileen Bennett Whittingstall” as its heading although she and he divorced in 1936.) And it is also true that Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall was a painter, at least for an unverifiable period of time. When in August 1929 that reliable if very sarcastic source, “Time” magazine, announced Eileen Bennett’s engagement to Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall, it described him as an “English portrait painter”. This is partly true because there is evidence that he also painted other types of works such as still lifes.

It is clear that Eileen Bennett did not marry into money, at least not where her first husband is concerned. This is not to say that Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall came from a poor background. On the contrary, it is possible to prove that a distant relative of his, also called Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall, was once a very rich man indeed. He made his money from a brewery and pubs business and was so rich that at one point – in 1838, in fact – he purchased Langleybury, a country house and estate in Hertfordshire, England, situated two miles north of the town of Watford, and started a bank in partnership with one William Smith. However, the bank went into bankruptcy soon after Fearnley-Whittingstall's death, forcing the sale of the estate in 1856.

The family appears never to have recovered from this initial downturn in fortune and, by the time of Edmund Owen Fearnley-Whittingstall’s birth in 1901, much of its wealth was probably lost. However, the Fearnley-Whittingstalls were still entitled to an entry in “Burke’s Peerage and Gentry”, which describes itself as “the definitive historical and genealogical guide to the major British, Irish and American families”. There is little doubt that this entitlement originally came from the late Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall’s purchase of the aforementioned Langleybury country house and estate.

A curious reader might pose some of the following questions: Why did Eileen Bennett marry Edmund Owen Fearnley-Whittingstall? What did she see in him? Was he good-looking, or even dashing, as men could be in those days without raising eyebrows, especially men with double-barrel surnames? And how did they first meet? Unfortunately, it is not possible to answer any of these or similar questions with a large degree of certainty, but it is not very difficult to speculate based on the existing evidence, scant as it is.

They may well have met at a party in London, since both of them were living near the centre of that city in the late 1920s. Eileen Bennett appears to have been something of a “flapper”, a type which has been defined as a “new breed of young women who wore short skirts, bobbed their hair, listened to the new jazz music, and flaunted their disdain for what was then considered acceptable behaviour. Flappers were seen as brash for wearing excessive makeup, drinking, treating sex in a casual manner, smoking, driving automobiles and otherwise flouting social and sexual norms”. Some of this may indeed apply to Eileen Bennett.

She appears to have come from a relatively well-off background, her father, William, being a stockbroker. It is easy to imagine her moving in artistic circles. It has not been possible to locate any portraits of her*, but it may not be too outlandish to suggest that she may have first met Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall by sitting for him. After all, they are likely to have first met some time in 1928, when Eileen Bennett became better known in June of that year by reaching the final of all three events open to her at the French Championships in Paris, the first to be held at the Stade Roland Garros (she won the doubles with Phoebe Watson and the mixed with Henri Cochet, but lost the singles final to Helen Wills).

In any case, Bennett appears to have had a whirlwind romance with Fearnley-Whittingstall. Their engagement was announced in August 1929 and the wedding itself took place on 19 November 1929, at the historic Saint Margaret’s Church located between Westminster Abbey and the Houses of Parliament in London. This ancient church, first built in the eleventh century, has been the venue for many “society weddings”, including those of the diarist Samuel Pepys and Winston Churchill.

It is rather fascinating to read that the marriage service was conducted “according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church” by Herbert Fearnley-Whittingstall, Edmund’s father, who was a clerk in orders. The day in question, a Tuesday, was rainy but, according to the “New York Times”, the rain was braved by a number of onlookers, surely including a number of photographers, who would have seen the bride in a “court dress with a 6-yard train”. Eileen Bennett was just 22; Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall was 28.

The guests probably included Edmund’s brother, William Arthur Fearnley-Whittingstall (1903-1959), who later became a distinguished barrister-at-law before his untimely death at the age of 56. Before taking very different career paths he and Edmund had grown up together in a vicarage. William was once described as being “highly sensitive and easily hurt if a decision taken was not in his opinion the right one. He could appear to be incredibly rude, though he rarely meant to be; yet behind his comments was almost always a glimmer of a smile: he was a teaser” (from the book “Execution” by John Mervyn Pugh). Did Edmund, his older brother, share any of these characteristics? Was this the sort of man Eileen Bennett was marrying?

It has not been possible to find any details of the honeymoon. Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall, as she was then, returned to the tennis courts in 1930, but this was not one of her most successful years, partly as a result of an unspecified illness. She withdrew from the second round of the French singles and lost at the same stage at Wimbledon, where her best performance in singles was to reach the quarter-final on two occasions, in 1928 and 1932. Perhaps the pressure of carrying British hopes was too much for her, as it has been for many of her compatriots down the years. Like her fellow Briton and contemporary, Betty Nuthall, she enjoyed some success in the United States, reaching the singles final at the US Nationals in 1931 before losing to Helen Wills Moody. She won the mixed doubles at Forest Hills in 1927 with Henri Cochet and the women's doubles there in 1931 with Nuthall. (Her other wins in major tournaments were a second consecutive mixed title with Henri Cochet at the French Championships in 1929 and the women’s doubles title at the French Championships in 1931 with Nuthall.)

The next record of her first marriage was found in an American newspaper. Under the heading “Eileen Bennett has spat with husband”, the following report appeared in “The Milwaukee Journal” on 25 November 1931: “Eileen Bennett Whittingstall, England’s no. 1 and most beautiful tennis star, opposed her young artist husband Tuesday in a court case, in which counsel for the claimant, a firm of house furnishers, referred to ‘certain disagreements between them’. Miss Bennett’s wedding to Edmund Owen Fearnley-Whittingstall was one of the social events of 1929. In the courts a firm claimed £83 from Mrs Lucie Bennett – Mrs Whittingstall’s mother – for goods supplied. Mrs Bennett’s case was that the orders were given not on her own account but as the agent of her daughter and son-in-law. Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall, giving evidence for the plaintiffs, said he did not give any orders and at the time was practically penniless. Mrs Whittingstall, on behalf of her mother, said, ‘My mother gave the orders at my request and my husband knew it.’ She received little housekeeping – the equivalent of only $15 a week, she said. Judgement was reserved.”

This is the first record of the married couple being involved in a court case, but it will not be the last. Would it be an exaggeration to state that their marriage appears to have been a “rocky” one? “My mother gave the orders at my request and my husband knew it.” This sounds like someone who was used to giving orders, while Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall claims that he did not give any and was practically penniless at the time! Could it be that one or both of them were tiring of the marriage after only two years of matrimony? Had Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall idealised marriage with a relatively poor artist only to find the reality was not to her liking? Had she tastes – not just in house furnishings, but also in clothes, jewellery, food, etc. – which were simply unaffordable given the couple’s financial situation?

Little is known about Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall’s life during this period, but his wife continued to play tennis and also appears to have taken paid work at various intervals. “The Straits Times”, an English-language broadsheet based in Singapore, reported the following on 10 December 1932: “Eileen Bennett off the courts. Mrs. Fearnley-Whittingstall, the well-known tennis player, formerly Miss Eileen Bennett, has begun work in a Mayfair beauty parlour.” In May 1933, another publication reported that she had agreed to manage the women’s sportswear section of A. J. Izod, a fashionable clothing company.

In April 1935, Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall won one of her final singles tournaments, the Surrey Hard Court event at Roehampton in England. (It is not an exaggeration to say that she preferred playing on hard courts to grass.) She was no longer the British number one and might no longer have been enjoying her tennis as much as she had in the past. Although the exact date is not known, it is likely that at or around this time she met the man who was to become her second husband and began to have an affair with him. This man, Marcus Marsh, was to be named as the co-respondent in the petition for divorce filed by Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall on 11 September 1935.

Divorces were not as common in the 1930s as they are today, and they came with a stigma attached. It is interesting to note that around the time that Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall must have been beginning her affair with Marcus Marsh, Edward, Prince of Wales, was beginning his affair with the American divorcee Wallis Simpson. This affair took a path similar to the Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall-Marcus Marsh affair, though obviously with much greater repercussions because in 1936, when Edward, by then King Edward VIII, publicly declared his love for and wish to marry Wallis, this meant that he would have to abdicate.

Foreign news media reported on the affair between Edward and Mrs Simpson once it became public knowledge, but the media in the United Kingdom were much more discreet in those days. Nowadays there would more than likely be round-the-clock coverage of the scandal in all of the media, especially in the United Kingdom with its notorious tabloid press. The Fearnley-Whittingstall divorce case must also have been reported by the domestic and foreign media – the result certainly was – even though the tennis player involved was not nearly as famous as the Prince of Wales.

In retrospect it appears to have been a relatively painless process for the parties involved. After Edmund Fearnely-Whittingstall filed the initial petition for divorce on 11 September 1935, cause was set down two months later on 24 October 1935, by which time the married couple were estranged and no longer cohabiting. In those days reason – or grounds – had to be provided by the plaintiff and the reason given in this case was the following: “That the respondent has committed adultery with Mr Marcus Marsh. That on the 23rd, 24th and 25th days of August 1935 in Room no. 457 at the Grosvenor Hotel, Victoria, London, S.W.1., the respondent committed adultery with the said Marcus Marsh.”

A decree nisi granted was granted on 16 March 1936 after a justice had heard evidence from the petitioner, whose occupation by this time had changed from (portrait) painter to art dealer, and witnesses produced on his behalf. The respondent (his estranged wife) and co-respondent did not defend the suit at the hearing. On 21 May 1936, Marcus Marsh was ordered to the pay the petitioner’s costs, which totalled £59.14.8. A final decree was issued six months later on 23 September 1936, leaving Eileen Bennett, as she was once again, free to marry for the second time, which she did almost immediately.

At this point Edmund Fearnley-Whittingstall departs from the scene although there is a glimpse of him a few years down the road, when the Second World War had just begun and he was gazetted as 2nd Lieutenant in the 4th Battalion of the Queen’s Officers Roy W. Kent Regiment in 1939. He served from 1939-43 before being invalided out. It is thus possible to state that he had at least one thing in common with Eileen Bennett’s second husband because Marcus Marsh was also to serve during the Second World War. But who exactly was Marcus Marsh?

In the announcement of their marriage carried on 29 September 1936, the “Chicago Tribune” states the following: “Mrs. Edmund Owen Fearnley-Whittingstall, Eileen Bennett, the tennis player, was married today to Marcus Marsh, racehorse trainer.” (In fact they appear to have married one day earlier, in Chelsea, London.) Marcus Maskell Marsh (born 1904) was the son of Richard Marsh, royal racehorse trainer to Edward, Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII. Marcus Marsh was already enjoying a successful career by the time he met Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall (as she then was) some time in the mid-1930s. Windsor Lad, trained by Marsh, won both the Epsom Derby and the Saint Leger races in 1934 and he was to train another winner of both races after the Second World War while also enjoying success with other horses.

A handsome, moustachioed, well-groomed man, always dressed immaculately in a suit, he certainly cut a dashing figure. It is clear that he had money – one source says that he liked to spend time in the casinos on the French Riviera. If this is true, it is easy to imagine him and his wife, who was playing less and less tennis by the time of their marriage in September 1936, enjoying themselves in the south of France and appearing regularly in the newspapers and periodicals of the time. Today they would probably be a “celebrity couple”.

Eileen Marsh, as she now was, would have had fond memories of the French Riviera, having played there during several seasons earlier in her career and having won the singles event at tournaments in places like Nice (1927) and at the Carlton Club in Cannes (1929). In 1926, as an eighteen-year-old, she had lost 6-0, 6-2 in the quarter final of the same tournament in Cannes to Helen Wills, who a few days later went on to lose the final to Suzanne Lenglen in their only meeting in singles and what was billed as “the match of the century”.

Due to his success as a racehorse trainer and because he served in the Second World War, more is known about Marcus Marsh from the late 1930s onwards than is known about Eileen Marsh from the same point in time onwards. On 16 July 1937, she turned thirty, an age at which many players usually think of retirement. She lost 6-3, 6-0 to the Australian Nancye Wynne in the second round of Wimbledon in 1938 and does not appear to have played there again. In any case, the war would have severely interrupted her career if she had continued playing competitive tennis.

It certainly interrupted Marcus Marsh’s career. He joined the Royal Air Force (RAF) but was taken prisoner on the night of 9 May 1941 when his plane, on a bombing mission to Mannheim, Germany, was shot down by a German night fighter. He and the rest of the crew were captured and spent most of the war interned in Stalag Luft III, a prisoner-of-war camp located near Sagan, now Żagań, in Poland, 100 miles (160 km) south-east of Berlin. The camp is best known for two famous prisoner escapes that took place there by tunnelling, which were depicted in the films “The Great Escape” (1963) and “The Wooden Horse” (1950).

As has already been stated, after the war Marcus Marsh resumed training, with continued success. He retired at the end of 1964 and published an autobiography entitled “Racing with the Gods” in 1968. He died in 1983, aged 79.

An obituary of the racehorse trainer published in “The Times” of London on 15 December 1983 stated that Marcus Marsh’s marriage to Eileen Bennett was “broken by the war”. It is likely that they were divorced soon after the war ended. In any case, Eileen Bennett, as she once again was, married for a third time, on 6 May 1947, in Westminster, London. Her third husband was one Geoffrey Akroyd, or Ackroyd. Nothing is known about him except that, with a name like that, he was probably from a well-to-do background. Could they possibly have married at Saint Margaret’s Church, the scene of Eileen Bennett’s first marriage to Edmund Fearnely-Whittingstall?

Something went wrong with this third marriage, too (Geoffrey Akroyd, or Ackroyd, may have died while still married) because Eileen Bennett, as she had become once more, married again, in London on 6 June 1957, one month before her fiftieth birthday. Her fourth and final husband’s name was Carl (V) Forslind. He is likely to have been Scandinavian, or to have had Scandinavian origins. But that is all that is known about him.

Little else is known about Eileen Bennett’s, or Eileen Forslind’s later years, except that she appears to have died in Middleton Tyas, Yorkshire, England on 6 November 1979 at the age of 72. It seems that she had no children. These final details have not been confirmed, but they do have the ring of truth. According to wikipedia, “Middleton Tyas is a village and civil parish in the Richmondshire district of North Yorkshire, England. There are two pubs in the village. The village had a post office and shop but it closed in April 2003. This left the village with no retail facilities within its boundaries, so the local community decided to open a new shop.”

North Yorkshire is virtually Brontë country, very far removed from London and, in some respects, light years away from the French Riviera and from places like Forest Hills. What could have drawn Eileen Bennett there? The desire to spend her final years in a quiet neighbourhood, close to nature, after a rather peripatetic existence? This seems like a logical explanation but, as with so much concerning this fascinating person’s life, nothing is certain.

* What did Eileen Bennett actually look like? The following is a link to eight portraits (photographs) of Eileen Bennett (Fearnley-Whittingstall), dating from June 1925 to April 1934, and currently held by the National Portrait Gallery in London. All of the photographs were taken at the fashionable Bassano studios in London.



Dec 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for this interestng article.

Alan Little's Wimbledon Compendium confirms all the data you have given.

Jan 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Mark,

Thanks for this interestng article.

Alan Little's Wimbledon Compendium confirms all the data you have given.

Thanks, Karoly - Alan Little's "Wimbledon Compendium" is one reference work I haven't yet had a look at. The title of the piece I wrote on Eileen Bennett is meant to be humorous, but I was hoping that the content was factually correct. I had to speculate quite a bit about her later life, but I don't think I was too far wrong in that respect.

Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Divorces were not as common in the 1930s as they are today, and they came with a stigma attached. It is interesting to note that around the time that Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall must have been beginning her affair with Marcus Marsh, Edward, Prince of Wales, was beginning his affair with the American divorcee Wallis Simpson. This affair took a path similar to the Eileen Fearnley-Whittingstall-Marcus Marsh affair, though obviously with much greater repercussions because in 1936, when Edward, by then King Edward VIII, publicly declared his love for and wish to marry Wallis, this meant that he would have to abdicate.

Foreign news media reported on the affair between Edward and Mrs Simpson once it became public knowledge, but the media in the United Kingdom were much more discreet in those days. Nowadays there would more than likely be round-the-clock coverage of the scandal in all of the media, especially in the United Kingdom with its notorious tabloid press. The Fearnley-Whittingstall divorce case must also have been reported by the domestic and foreign media – the result certainly was – even though the tennis player involved was not nearly as famous as the Prince of Wales.

I'm glad you drew a parellel to the scandal of the day Mark, as there turns out to be another connection of sorts between Mrs Simpson and Mrs Whittingstall. Read below....

Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:25 AM
A link to a london Times article that reveals Eileen and the Duchess were both lovers of the same man. There is no mention of Elieen past the third paragrapgh.


Wallis Simpson’s secret lover: Trundle, the Thirties love machine

Wallis Simpson’s secret lover had already cut a swathe through the fast set by the time he met her, says Stuart Wavell

It is perhaps fitting that Guy Trundle was put in charge of barrage balloons in wartime London. By then, the secret lover of Wallis Simpson during the abdication crisis had proved his consummate skill at keeping a number of potentially inflammatory balls in the air at the same time. Few men possessed the amorous dexterity of Trundle, described by Special Branch spies as “a very charming adventurer, very good looking, well bred and an excellent dancer” in a highly confidential 1935 report released last week.

His inspiration could have been Georges Feydeau, the master of bedroom farce. While Trundle was helping Simpson to cuckold Edward VIII, he was simultaneously conducting an ardent liaison with a seductive tennis player. Eileen Bennett was regarded as the Anna Kournikova of her day after revealing daring white briefs under the scandalised gaze of Princess Alice at a charity match in 1933.

The tennis player was married, but then so was Trundle. As, indeed, was “Mrs Simpson”, for whose love Edward sacrificed his throne. Such a plot would have fully stretched Feydeau’s talents. But Trundle’s love life was to take on even greater complexity.

This was his mistress Vera Emanuel, a Junoesque actress whom he visited nearly every day at her West End home whether or not her husband was present. The husband was a banker willing to make Trundle an extraordinary loan — his wife. By all accounts the menage à trois lived in perfect harmony and when Trundle was dying of cancer it was Vera who nursed him until the end.

The revelations from the Public Record Office paint a louche picture of elastic morals among the rich and titled before the austere wartime years. But an even more surreal tableau, revealing the abdication’s principal actors sleeping in connecting rooms, was revealed to The Sunday Times last week by Edward’s 83-year-old godson, William, the 4th Earl of Dudley.

In April 1936 his father, the 3rd earl, held a house party at Himley Hall near Dudley at which the leading guests were Edward VIII, Wallis Simpson, her husband Ernest Simpson (they were not yet divorced) and the latter’s girlfriend, nicknamed Buttercup. The 3rd earl was surprised to receive a visit from Queen Mary, Edward’s mother, who asked him to confirm the guests. “‘Can I have a look at the sleeping arrangements?’ said the queen. So my father took her upstairs to show her,” says the 4th earl.

“She was curious to see how it was all disposed. There was the king’s room, then the bathroom which connected to another room which Wallis was in; then another bathroom, connected to the one Mr Simpson was in, then the bathroom connected to the room which his lady friend was in. They were all connected together.”

But if infidelity was a game, what game was Special Branch playing as it diligently noted Trundle’s activities? One theory is that evidence on Trundle was passed to the cabinet as proof of Simpson’s betrayal. A word to Edward might have halted the marriage and prevented a constitutional crisis. So why was nothing said: was it deference or a more cynical calculation? Some Establishment figures, who complained that Edward lacked the necessary qualities of kingship, might have been happy to let events take their course.
Even the 4th Earl of Dudley believes Simpson unwittingly did the country a favour by removing him from the throne. “In my opinion he was totally unsuited to be king of England during a major war against Germany,” he says. “I think, therefore, that it is very fortunate the affair wasn’t brought to his attention. It sounds as if they didn’t have the nerve to tell him.”
Whatever potential role he was assigned, Trundle seems an unlikely candidate to influence history. The son of a vicar from York, he had been reduced by circumstances to working as a humble car mechanic and Ford salesman after leaving the RAF in 1927.

Special Branch, which had been shadowing Simpson since the beginning of her affair with the future king, was aware she was entertaining another lover but did not pick out the 36-year-old lounge lizard on its radar screens until several weeks later. “The identity of Mrs Simpson’s lover has now been definitely ascertained,” says a Special Branch report dated July 3, 1935. “He is Guy Marcus Trundle, now living at 18 Bruton Street. He is said to boast that every woman falls for him. He meets Mrs Simpson quite openly at informal social gatherings as a personal friend, but secret meetings are made by appointment when intimate relations take place.”

It is implicit from the records that Trundle spoke to Special Branch about the relationship. “Trundle receives money from Mrs Simpson as well as expensive presents. He has admitted this.”

Exactly when Trundle’s affair with Simpson ended is unknown. Edward abdicated in 1936 and sailed off to France with his bride-to-be. But at some point before the second world war Trundle had met Vera Emanuel, the woman who was to become his mistress for the next 20 years.
Vera not only had tenuous links with Edward but, bizarrely, her son can boast that he danced with the Prince of Wales. Vera O’Brien, of Irish and Anglo-Indian descent, was the daughter of a senior official in the Indian railways. She was 17 when she married the much older Percival Bailey in India in 1918. Despite having a son, Val, a year later, they were soon living separate lives and in 1933 they divorced.
Within 12 months she was married again, this time to Sidney Emanuel, but she continued to desport herself in “the season”. She skied regularly in Kitzbühel, where she came into contact with the prince’s circle through his skiing instructor, the dashing Count Karl Lamberg, who reportedly lost his heart to her.
In 1933 Vera’s son, Val, joined the naval college at Dartmouth, where a young officer’s training included being taught ballroom dancing. In the absence of women recruits, the smaller boys played the part of girls. One day they were joined by the Prince of Wales who was staying at the college during a round of official visits. During one Paul Jones, Val found himself dancing with His Highness. “It was quite funny,” he recalls.
Val Bailey, who became a lifelong friend of Trundle, says that in those days life was a long round of debs’ balls and dinner parties. “They were wild times in their own ways. Some people might think them tame compared to today but it’s merely that the attitudes of society change. So much more which is accepted now wasn’t then.
“There were the odd one or two who would kick over the traces and say to hell with the way we’re supposed to behave, but although Guy would probably be called a womaniser now he wasn’t then.
“You would often be seen with a lady dining out, especially if you had the excuse that her husband was in the Middle East. There were an awful lot of husbands in the Middle East, mind you. It was just a codeword.
“We had great fun but you didn’t need much money in those days to have a good time as long as you were reasonably careful with it.
I knew that the Prince of Wales had ended up collapsing on the dance floor at the 400 Club through drink but you wouldn’t dream of being so indiscreet as to mention it,” says Bailey.
Not surprisingly in view of his serial infidelities, Trundle was eventually left by his wife and they divorced in 1946. (She then married a master of foxhounds.) After wartime service as an RAF wing commander, Trundle’s fortunes revived: he landed an executive post at General Electric thanks to an old flying colleague. But when he died, aged 59, in 1958, after 14 months of treatment for cancer, his estate was quite small.
He held £1,000 in national savings certificates, some shares in Rowntree’s and in British Land, £336 3s 1d in cash at Lloyds Bank, a Hillman Minx car worth £650, some back pay of £8 12s 7d from General Electric and an elaborate “diamond cluster ring” that belonged to his mother Amy, who died in 1939.
He also left some mysterious papers, whose contents have never been revealed. Despite his modest bequest, a fierce row soon broke out over who should benefit from his will. A letter from Vera Emanuel stated that she was “amazed to hear” that Major Alwyne Trundle, Guy’s brother, had been discussing how to dispose of Guy’s money. Vera herself, she claimed, “was the only person we knew Guy trusted and loved”.

In his last days Trundle had visited a club called Trulls Hatch, in West Sussex. Shortly after his death his lawyers wrote to his brother: “As you know Vera is leaving from Nassau on Saturday . . . as to the trunks at Trulls Hatch, Vera feels that she really ought to look through these before anything is done with the contents.” Five days earlier at a meeting at Lloyds Bank in Mayfair an internal memo reads: “They said there was a jewel case which they would not open until probate was produced. There were also some papers.”

Vera won her battle with the major and promptly sold most of Trundle’s possessions. His numerous bills and expenses, from top doctors, to drinks, refurbishments, nursing, club bills, trips to France and the upkeep of his cottage in Cornwall, were all paid promptly by Vera. The remainder was given to his two godchildren.
Of Trundle’s papers, however, there is no sign. He had apparently taken the secret of his affair with Mrs Simpson to the grave — until it resurfaced last week.

Apr 3rd, 2011, 12:39 AM
Here's a a link to a glamourous Corbis photo from the finals of the 1931 US Nationals. Eileen is on the left-Will son the right.One would think it was a cool day from the long coats. In fact, it was August. I'm lucky to have a very similar original photo from that day hanging on my wall.

http://api2.corbis.com/wscorbisone/fulfillment/VV12632.jpg?AUBLzopTQvZlvLk1Y6wxI3re%2fgOQ04XYOK%2 f3GIhCfLPeJGVm1kYyqBYrZBv9PVvNpE6tsodkBaQAkij50HHh IJON%2b9Sv57K1XOmChnk29nS3pzL5NTMeH64P7RVkQ%2fPgJL Qy%2bKEXw6e2my1VacFaMQ4L2sQRLz2mY2AJ%2fksx8C6a%2f3 R6ro60%2f2NT2vdTnKbY8C4oxaeZBCn8aPeDaRJub1Evr7HJzJ rHcPXdG17Jx6bfftUAvFYa2TaOaikIehW3tmEC7P8RqChmed%2 bix6csgw%2f%2bcztdM1ac1pIO8Chqgmo5%2fsURzZWcQiAF2X xHmeG9ME0Kvex0vQWVsPzt%2f1fNs%2fwvf1ThfySGlR4XNuUX jP7ZO85lRejN8CrL7kLnpiBGlgb0kva9O6Uf1LfNDOTdAG5mwg C4aEo1Ykp1GUTmpDvYDN174iTAQOA6V2mdeBUx6HoCcSOfLl3% 2fVa2EHekscSP7My2L5Gamm3zi4vHCAI4L80vCYd5csjviSXkh DIg1a3A3RPO3fzimbku4CvRP4pnjP8UZtn4JHwrlDS4rl82fdZ 0go3f4Bsozp73xpU2ryeDxbdpwdiSdNKSzBLKrQBOnbtc2s3UW 9%2fL%2fd0Y1IrytiYpMGmBeTydYsHFkeqGoHVTji0XAioX6XH l2%2f%2f0y%2bTaw%2bICcbtisUTslOhX5ZmwJNR6Lts%2fpt0 2%2b%2fitdbfGg2JGtImiiHumdqeWcU4PlBzYg2iCCHDUpOt6i oR1vmHvXAr1%2f1uzoIOx1Kq9tO%2f56cGCXeL3iwRbD%2flVw W3D4RDKvrbaiWS9D1GdSBvVR83oGt8ZqrhQNS7HABUenpgRylw lkB2iUcSGCHUWSGEOPTJX5h%2f7AMAGHYjedHAZJ5202cYI7SA vQ3WqP69bCgjDzhrJ6j6QRc%2fUaCiXRjlaSja6cPJzIKlUjeh xglx0hhYc%3d

Seventh US Title Won By Mrs Moody

Coast Star Beats Mrs Whittingstall 6-4 6-1 in Tennis Fianl at Forest Hills.

Match over in 35 minutes

Victor Completes Fourth Year of Competition Without the Loss of a Set

4,000 Witness the Event

Thrilled by English Girls' Valiant Efforts at Start

By Allison Danzig.

The Tennis champion without a crown assumed the royal purple again yesterday to to restore the women's national title to the United States and reestablish her invincibility after a year's absence from the championship.

In the final round of the 44th annual tournament at the West side Tennis Club, Forest Hills, before a gallery that was held down to 4,000 spectators by the unfavorable weather, Mrs Helen Wills Moody od Californai aconclusively defeated Mrs Eileen Bennett Whittingstall of England at 6-4 6-1 to capture the championship for the seventh time and complete her fourth year of competition without the loss of a set in singles.

Miss Betty Nuthall of England, Whom Mrs Whittingstall eliminated in the semifinals, was the 1930 winner.

Technically with her triumph yesterday, which gave her the first leg on the new cup put up lasy year, Mrs Moody equaled the record held Mrs Molla Mallory of New York for the number of American singles championship victories.


The championship singles final failed to bring out the pulsating struggle that had been anticipated and within 35 minutes after Rufus Davis had called "play" from the umpire's chair the match was over.

As a matter fo fact Mrs Moody's work had been accomplished once she had fought off the stirring challenge of Mrs Whittingstall in the first set, a challenge that saw the slender English girl, trailing at 0-3, play magnificent tennis to win the next 3 games with the loss of only two points and stir the gallery to almost a frenzy of enthuisiasm.

Mrs Moody on the Defensive

During these three games, the the last two of which Mrs Whittingstall won six successive points with five placements and a service ace, the gauntlet was thrwon down to the invincible Californian
in such a masterful fashion that there appeared to be every prospect of a tremendous battle in which Mrs Moody might have to yield the first set she has lost since Miss Gwenyth Sterry of England wrested the opening chapter from her at Wimbledon in 1927.

Mrs Whittingstall, far from being the oppressed and quiescent victim of the Californian's forehanders, was wholeheardtedly the aggressor, carrying the attack to her opponent with so much speed
and weight behind her drives and getting such depth and angles on them that Mrs Moddy was put squarely on the defensive.

When Mrs Whittingstall won her third game in a row the gallery fairly roared its delight. There was no mistaking the where its sympathy lay and the sight of anyone outplaying Mrs Moody was so novel as to captivate any gathering.

But with that one great effort, an effort that probably would have put her in a lead at 4-2 had it not been for a questionable decision on the service line in the third game, Mrs Whittingstall was finished. She managed to win her next service game in the eighth to make the score 4-all, but after that she had nothing left in her reserve except for nerve.

Loser's Hard Fight Recalled

... (to be continued)

Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
A Pathe clip of the 1931 US Championships featuring Eileen


Other pictures from Corbis related to Eileen from her 1931 US visit.

Helen Wills being photographed. Note the famous Forest Hills club house in the background

http://api2.corbis.com/wscorbisone/fulfillment/VV12321.jpg?AUBLzopTQvZlvLk1Y6wxIztUgrfIQ1iNp%2b0J ZCOBe03HjtYDq8uwzvF%2bC4jpniFw3Pp9V7jAURN4JeGro2pJ 8P32CYSygCos%2fbZgJU%2b8Kj%2b0Xm23X%2fyz7AgDR6uIp5 t0LT55rNUbgqGVvpkVXuLZ67kM5r%2bKcXeHNZNSoAze6rXifo t3yXO5zq%2byu5D%2fwXmGvt4RgU6HH%2fBvTr2NzkrwhtCG4d gAgGjY9W8xt8Y2kGAQOeORan5HFKtsWwHfb9ZQMih7RvE1Ubj7 29bPrHTzOLK%2bUAlHSefufhCLjV6S82YL592o%2fYjNYAq4o3 e6EfofkTm1XDfsCs0bsnB3aK4c1Iz2V1e7fDaIBDNb9g7qgBZv 1FykCO%2bZYUK6IqtwUWIXWwprGylhPtV5gE89WYKZ9toBwuqo 5TcTek6nqfsG6z2WWhZHKPuhmSOSmDOZibhSPjR8BHF9lf3hsh HNa2dFy2mHSsSDYJCYwr%2fJxbEmnzBe%2bvBZJIAjc5sNeX6X MruNKf0K7anV8IvvutOBiB0gHZVpJnvOemNaWzUL4ndERBBeEt J3TnmncyCjiJAV1Shq5muVGGJAHDdoCUp9t%2fmVJWn2YhgHyL u5gsdxo6cUNz9T8yQ64wzbAfUDzKVBC98fVSB71qUwGF%2bbrh yOAKSaojliJBdZkimp9zYNO9r%2f9t%2bLJDXHp5aBfUwyQoJ% 2b%2fEn8IxZ%2fQk5KMvmawCovUruwYOyAag1Dl%2f2LnTdbax DpC5hLdJVN2yqkk7P%2fBNNrszi95Wr8PWcYJpOtVknLax3Hq2 EKCl%2fCs0dEJTl7byIU2FcLF6zBW8Xe6ZStGAUZs7rKYOwlh9 hpqrrNWQnf0p2Bb9Zndj18Ms%2bpbxGkpplvXvm9xMZl4syK0m 93vJINKvFMjp2roeNw9f57%2fPgqasS3wLetQO5zGZji4tE9Ph uqfNQ%3d

Eileen and Betty Nuthall win the women's doubles. The pair alo won the doubles at the French in 1931. Bennett hit a hard ball. She also had very deft angled volleys, which made her highly valued as a doubles partner. Eileen beat her doubles partner in the semis at Forest Hills in a three set match.

http://api2.corbis.com/wscorbisone/fulfillment/VV12268.jpg?AUBLzopTQvZlvLk1Y6wxI62Ks%2bc8nj9SiAZP bIcoUlQs0Oelli1UHhg5tcuiFcUCZIcDCL2FWDF2u3tW%2fMr0 89E%2fxUvN05K0VlCnrkbdLKlFFlWkZ9BhSESCLfbIPo%2bUR% 2bCaZvk1xRiZoC2s0D2HjdPpZrxvqnXWiFrJXdiHUO42b5hfQ1 CyxAFfAZbhNCCDXNobI3%2fSDUyojfoCzj1TZtQVi7zes4FyQc 3nbJhNq62HzufYV1O6Jb7GuaBp6ig95ZOfHIqOsw0ze66tN%2f RoPmBOQaLLlJJjWsROc3DrW7PpF%2f59c8eWnQ2%2bCOCZJi2i IyLVhFP74PlswpK2p2pv4EOOpy2SnbRJCzVmSaX2LY5YTQ5%2b K44AP1PdE0dR7%2biRbZEPri9Hp9rTvtVfGYDcI6IMH4982UM3 CUSSR3iRkuURp8C4kxowXmmnAOaiX2mRqD4U%2bKK%2bKLk7%2 f1yaSDX7TkJ2dz6fu1QsiNjkr8GIq4IkcyeHSnmWq%2bl23NY3 iJSA2VjxI4nWoWnpMLkwCTbtg1EQp%2bUF%2bqh90vYKlPkOvp 0IU%2fk7Z4namke57BlxDZaEM1l4LW%2bY%2frKIGx%2bBujA% 2fmH%2beWYJ5d90ud974ciXIQRaEdtBDc8VRhz3pcZn4SqhoAy HGJdj%2bRC4r64qL%2byxJHm7t3010eDs0bIbfDuQjURQdSWl2 rlUuUrKIfnUBi6xdLhXUQw77seNkaOR30zye8JIR%2fcY7jmTu MO2aDahCsfIlNiU2wl7%2bgYd%2faJZhFNhXb8%2b%2bWaCN%2 bhTDESpy4usYxlC1LtbPclMp210P3ksfeH%2ftFOFbEy5ROzG0 uBccG5fdiJ0UT0VMiF5PRmD3zrE2rdC7O1T4eCj4by%2f6k17Y BW4deFqkLdgEIZB%2fNZAnNOnWEkfU5p7ONF03d626DGZ3z05f ZMEmTLtTrVlU8r50Mxs%3d

Wightman Cuppers at the beach. From left to right Phyllis Mudofrd (Corbis incorrectly lists her as Alice), Dorothy Round, Eillen Bennett whittingstall, and Dorothy Shepherd-Barron. In this era the Wightman Cup alternated betwwen the US and Britain. As a result the fields at the US Nationals were noticably stronger in odd numbered years such as 1931, 1933, 1935 etc. Betty Nuthall had won the US title in 1930 by touring by herself.

http://api2.corbis.com/wscorbisone/fulfillment/VV12234.jpg?AUBLzopTQvZlvLk1Y6wxI2gLifIWumD5oUbUEq CAxqKOa%2bdi30NvWuWRmeWYe%2fYRUQrMheMLYPYIWtuhljrW Krg1rIDRmBRp68UVCi1492%2b9fLCCUr5XbpGczwnHzBui5HEl xx3CqskrLAu1D17gFMcsPbCiBeWdEHVkqULCcNllXk2jM70S24 zNtue8j42GQ7DSi07r6GaBiNfdkuBntwm2cNBLj8FspKJGKZM% 2fl3fCSXLmHdwwe8F86GfTA7nzfbPeFs7NMa14aii9cBbugniC nwQhoEId6dhUnjGrHQtKR%2bw2%2bnvddnb3%2bj8jAzhOAwZW iPVJUxPcg7a%2bpvO8pwKYvnZ8bwFznnP6Ytmrr9v9kyP09Rk6 8axu6BQJGSuqL%2fwfyn94bu7l206%2fbj5JJ2xv7xdy10BMwX 8Y2T4Ay%2fraBtJ1x60BIxxaCVrDll5cxbb53Cyd3EE%2bCbxN ji55euQE9Dx7cK76mp4%2b%2fsx%2bZNQuQGfb7xSJuxME3yFe mcQqf9FeBlf7UlQrlN%2bqivWFMbP%2biDPLHFCXfnRHJeqyap NpyfOmOcvXQAd3mGPhbvJ88bU6YH%2bnZzvNOBcivWExZjEYZO GCtm8q5da9t5I5gBQPjAryHN2wCkpcDR3E8EpxoVoaEDey1YZE %2fH4RvMWiTxas9iAxoDada9CIgM%2bRmShoWVyBrU7Kl1x5m% 2bwMldfUhmI1i8EQHTn%2b%2fBQlsKV%2fMrA4TsgyaJ9X97wQ ahBC8y14xgsJ4YWbOuCxxOvi17rMboFhCsFFdaBLlI9KbdYNW1 8YQHE3z0XT%2bKoSq9lepBBWI967bpq7IPeacEhhQ93sXtXkIR 8Sdy8Sl5my1Y%2bx5%2bETosBmocwiuSGubO%2bpskHW%2fX9X iOu08X%2b9ndeGEPoIx9ykm04xlRAYX85AETvVcm1H4xqmmXn2 g%2fay3ZLCIp4%3d

Apr 3rd, 2011, 01:47 AM
Photographs from Britain's National Portrait Gallery




1927 (with German player cilly Aussem on the right)






Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
"Frinton-On-Sea: What Do You Think?"

Here is a British Pathe clip from July 20, 1933. Eileen is the subject mainly due to her fashion innovation of wearing what were called "shorts". It looks more like a skirt to me. Eileen herself notes in the clip that the shorts are really "constitute the lower half of a one piece suit."

Helen Jacobs actually introduced what we would cal shorts, with the resulting controversy over whether or not they were too mannish. Being no fashion expert I'll leave it to others to sort out that scene, as the clip has other interesting aspects to it.

For me the intersting aspects are seeing a local English tennis event in the summer. Frinton-On-Sea was a fixture of the post-Wimbledon grass circuit, and as such the fields could range from local to getting several English (and sometoimes international) stars.

As Eileen walks out she is holding a box of balls. Cans did not come into use until much later.
The contrast in attire between Mrs Whittingstall and her opponent couldn't be clearer, as Eileen's skirt is above the waist; her foe below. I like how we get of view of her in play. The speed of the play looks no different than 1973 to me.

Finally it's rare just to have a view of an early round match in a local seaside event. The scene is almost pastoral, spectators present but thin on the ground, and there are several scenes of play on other courts in the background.

Here's the clip

Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
Another Pathe clip from 1933 featuring the visiting Britsh team in South Africa. There is good action of Fred Perry as well.


1933 was Eileen's last year of tennis success. She made the quarters at the French and the 4th round at Wimbledon, but was not selected to play the Wightman Cup, which meant she cold not go to America. The French result was the last time she made the final 8 of a major.

Bennett-Whittingstall had made the annual top ten rankings on most lists in 1928, 1929, 1931, and 1932. After 1933 she went only entered Wimbledon 3 more times, in 1934-35 and 1938.

Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:40 AM
The French final of 1928. This was the first year at the new (and still current) facility at Roland Garros.

Wills easily won the final 6-1 6-2


Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:46 AM
Mark remarked in his piece on how comfortable Eileen was on hard (clay) courts. Her style of play my have been one reason for this-from the clips it looks like she possessed good topspin off her backhand as well as forehand, evenif her backhand does look cramped.

A second reason for her success made have been how often she played on the Riviera circuit in France.

Here she is beating the sturdy looking Betty Nuthall 6-3 6-2 in the final of Nice in 1927. This was the first year on the Riviera without Suzanne Lenglen, who had turned pro the year earlier.


Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:52 AM
A Pathe clip from 1935 on "Personalities of the Moment".


Besides a glimpse at Benito Mussalini, in tennis news Eileen Bennett-Whittingstall turned down a 2,000 pound offer to turn pro from the Bill Tilden Professional group.

Nov 30th, 2013, 03:04 PM
By Mark Ryan
It seems that she had no children.
According to this small news item (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=2BI1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=xaULAAAAIBAJ&dq=eileen%20bennett%20tennis%20born&pg=6337%2C1400441) in The Glasgow Herald she and her second husband Marcus Marsh had a daughter born on 7 March 1937 in London.

Dec 2nd, 2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks Wolbo!

I can add the fact that when they divorced her husband got custody of the child. As part of the Prince of Wales' set in the 1930s Eileen was under surveillance by the British.

Dec 14th, 2014, 06:43 PM
http://natlib.govt.nz/thumbnails/?resize=664%3E&src=http%3A%2F%2Fpaperspast.natlib.govt.nz%2Fcgi-bin%2Fimageserver%2Fimageserver.pl%3Foid%3DEP19401 211.1.14%26crop%3D2759%2C2001%2C818%2C2074%26width %3D800%26color%3D32%26ext%3Dgif%26key

Mrs, Marcus Marsh, the former tennis star, Eileen Bennett, in a smart wartime racing fashion at the recent Newmarket bloodstock sales. (Evening Post, 11 December 1940).