PDA

View Full Version : Bud Collins GOAT Tournament

hingis-seles
Dec 27th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I read about this on a message board, that Bud Collins posted his fantasy tournament and results for both men and women in the August 2004 issue of Sports Illustrated. I can't find it anywhere. Could anyone verify if there ever was such a tournament with Bud's picks being posted or not?

Thank you.

laschutz
Dec 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
i vaguely remember reading this, but i thought it was in an issue of world tennis (now defunct) or maybe TENNIS magazine? or maybe it wasn't a bud collins article at all?

all i know is that it had graf defeating connolly in the finals of this goat tournament as the writer put it " in a third set nail biter classic down to the wire as graf unleashed a flurry of forehand winners" to win the match.

tommyk75
Dec 28th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I remember this, too, but I can't remember if it was Bud or someone else (maybe Ted Tinling?). I do remember that the writer had Steffi beat Martina N 7-6 in the 3rd before the final.

Rollo
Dec 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Tinling wrote an article in World Tennis in 1989. Other than the results (Graf won his fantasy event) the fascinating aspect of the article was how he picked out certain strenths and weaknesses of each particiapnt and ranked them all on a 1-10 scale on their strokes.

gabybackhand
Dec 30th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Any link?

hingis-seles
Dec 30th, 2010, 02:57 PM
This was a more recent one - it was by Bud Collins in 2004 in SI where he had all the males and females competing at their peak. He had Rod Laver win the men's event and Monica Seles win the women's event.

laschutz
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
hi everyone! i've been doing an internet seach on both tinling's and collins goat tournament and can't find either one!

would love to read both, although i think reading tinling's would be more interesting being that he gives in his opinion a detailed and thorough evaluation of each players' strengths and weaknesses, on the otherhand,...

tinling does get all dreamy reminescent and over the top in his memories of certain players (i.e. lenglen) and perhaps is not the most "accurate and non partial" tennis historian there is, it's a matter of being that he watched all the champions play but does mean he knows the game and what not ( how each player played, their tactics, their styles, their strengths/weaknesses, etc) i mean i love football and watched it all the time, but just because i watch it, does that mean i'm an expert being that i never played it or been around the coaching of a team and so on.

of course i think collins's isn't much better in regard to over hyperbole either!

hingis-seles
Jan 1st, 2011, 06:08 PM
This is the closest I've come to finding it online:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/archive/index.php/t-132584.html

chris whiteside
Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:41 PM
of course i think collins's isn't much better in regard to over hyperbole either!

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and one is equally as valid as the other but you only have to look at some of Collins' rankings in the 60s and 70s to see how often he was at variance with the other correspondents of the day - it seemed too it was always the same players he elevated.