PDA

View Full Version : Playing with some legends

tennisvideos
Dec 8th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Hi guys

Just thought I would mention I am playing in a tennis pro-am tournament with some former aussie legends this coming Sunday including Ken Rosewall, the Woodies, and some other Aussie players from the 80s and 90s. Not sure exactly who else will be playing until I get there. But it should be fun - it's being played at Kooyong which should be nice. The former Aussie Open centre.

I am thrilled more that the day and night is to honour my dear friend Chris O'Neil for her win in the Aussie Open in 78 and Mark Edmondson for his win in 76. They are the last Aussies to win the title so it is great they are getting some recognition. There will be a dinner, speeches etc and I am providing the video footage of their wins so people can watch while having dinner. Also auctions etc. The proceeds are also going to charity.

Anyway, I will provide an update on how it goes next week.

Here's to Chris O'Neil and Eddo :)

thrust
Dec 9th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Hi guys

Just thought I would mention I am playing in a tennis pro-am tournament with some former aussie legends this coming Sunday including Ken Rosewall, the Woodies, and some other Aussie players from the 80s and 90s. Not sure exactly who else will be playing until I get there. But it should be fun - it's being played at Kooyong which should be nice. The former Aussie Open centre.

I am thrilled more that the day and night is to honour my dear friend Chris O'Neil for her win in the Aussie Open in 78 and Mark Edmondson for his win in 76. They are the last Aussies to win the title so it is great they are getting some recognition. There will be a dinner, speeches etc and I am providing the video footage of their wins so people can watch while having dinner. Also auctions etc. The proceeds are also going to charity.

Anyway, I will provide an update on how it goes next week.

Here's to Chris O'Neil and Eddo :)

Ken is still playing at 76? I'll be he is still a joy to watch! Tell him that at least one American thinks he is the GOAT.

tennisvideos
Dec 9th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Ken is still playing at 76? I'll be he is still a joy to watch! Tell him that at least one American thinks he is the GOAT.

Thanks Thrust! Yes, Ken is my GOAT as well for the men. Esp considering his 11 years where he couldn't play the slams at his peak and yet he still won 8 GS singles and was runner up in 4 Wimbledon finals. What could he have achieved had he been eligible to play those additional 44 slams in his best years. We also know he dominated Laver for a few years before Laver worked his way up to #1 on the pro tour. And he still had wins over Laver in the pro era. Considering he was winning slams in the mid 50s and then in the early 70s it is an astonishing career.

I do hope I get to play with or against him this weekend. He is my all time idol from the male ranks.

Philbo
Dec 9th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Sounds wonderful Craig, hope you have a wonderful time!!

GeeTee
Dec 11th, 2010, 10:35 PM
arodionova: playing at Celebrity Charity Event at Kooyong tennis club

Someone else who's playing.

Enjoy the day - we want to hear (and see) how it went!

tennisvideos
Dec 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
A picture from the night with myself and my dear friend Chris O'Neil holding the Aussie Open trophy. I wasn't allowed to touch it so I had to wear gloves!

The day and night was magic. During the day we played a Pro-Am tournament and I got to play against my all time idol Ken Rosewall on red clay! It was like a dream come true. It was a mixed doubles match and my parther and I won 6-2. But it wasn't about the score, as Ken is now in his mid 70s and still hits beautifully but of course he is much slower about the court. But what a thrill! I can't believe it and I loved every moment.

Then I got to play against Paul McNamee (3-3), John Alexander (3-3) and Kerryn Pratt (3-6). Kerryn was amazing, still plays great and we had the most wonderful rallies. John Alexander wasn't too happy with not winning LOL.

Also won the other match against a politician who was a good player but he couldn't handle Frankie Durr's lobs! So I finished 4th on the day in the tournament which was great!

But the highlight for me was the wonderful presentation and speeches for both Chris O'Neil and Mark Edmondson. Both very moving tributes and interviews. And they showed the footage that I had put together during the dinner which was great. I think the event was like a healing experience for both as they both mentioned how the press crucified them both after their wins and so they have been scarred emotionally ever since! Shocking, esp as it should have been their greatest memories. But they both got moving standing ovations and were showered with tributes from Paul McNamee, Steve Woods (CEO of Tennis Australia), Kerryn Pratt and John Alexander.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/CraigChris2010.jpg

tennisvideos
Dec 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
arodionova: playing at Celebrity Charity Event at Kooyong tennis club

Someone else who's playing.

Enjoy the day - we want to hear (and see) how it went!

Yes I got to meet her and chatted for about 10 mins. She is playing with Cara Black at the Aussie Open doubles which should be good esp as they made the semis at the US.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/Craig_Rodianova.jpg

tennisvideos
Dec 13th, 2010, 10:59 AM
Pics with Paul McNamee and Kerryn Pratt ...

I loved meeting Kerryn. She was very friendly and great fun to play against. So many wonderful rallies and she is still a really strong player. Didn't miss a shot. She and her partner beat us 6-3 but I have to say I loved every minute of this match. It was played on grass. Superb courts at Kooyong. The facility there is just stunning! I have never seen a tennis centre like it! Except maybe Wimbledon.

Kerryn and I had a great chat about the oldies and footage etc as she made a great DVD production called "The Spirit of Australian Tennis" which is well worth watching. A great historical tennis documentary.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/Craig_McNamee.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/Craig_KerrynPratt.jpg

tennisvideos
Dec 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
That's me up the other end of the court ... blessed to be on the same court as the legendary Ken Rosewall! :worship:
The photographer chopped my head off :lol:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/Craig_Rosewall.jpg

Kenny still has that magic backhand:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/KenRosewall2010.jpg

And my backhand, which looks positively gawky in comparison!
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/CraigBackhand2010.jpg

Philbo
Dec 13th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Wonderful stuff Craig! Loved reading every bit of it and great pics as well!!!

hingis-seles
Dec 13th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Amazing, Craig! :)

tennisvideos
Dec 14th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Wonderful stuff Craig! Loved reading every bit of it and great pics as well!!!
Thanks Phil, I know you can relate as you met your idol Martina and we all know how much that means. And I have now met and hit with my male and female idols - Frankie Durr and Ken Rosewall. Does heaven get any better???
How is your tennis tour in London and Europe going? I guess it might be the off season with winter approaching is it?

tennisvideos
Dec 14th, 2010, 01:52 AM
A great pic of Mark Edmondson and Chris O'Neil looking happy and proud at the tribute:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/ChrisEddo2010.jpg

And a pic I had taken with the legendary man himself - Ken Rosewall. What a privilege!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/CraigKenTrophy2010.jpg

calou
Dec 14th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Frankie Durr was your idol ,really ? As a French i'm very proud of that .When i was younger (a lot younger ) i had friends from Marseille who learnt to play with her first coach ( Joseph Stolpa )
Rosewall has the best backhand of all time , fluid and marvelous.How lucky you are to met all this great champions .

Rollo
Dec 14th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Posted by Calou Frankie Durr was your idol ,really?

Check out the pic below Calou. A little bit more knee bend and it's a Durr backhand alright!;)

Craig-I'm thrilled for you. It must have been special having all of that group together. I'd die happy having hit with Rosewall! I says a lot for the Aussies that they are honouring O'Neil and Edmondson. Chris is still looking mighty fit!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/CraigBackhand2010.jpg

tennisvideos
Dec 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Check out the pic below Calou. A little bit more knee bend and it's a Durr backhand alright!;)

Craig-I'm thrilled for you. It must have been special having all of that group together. I'd die happy having hit with Rosewall! I says a lot for the Aussies that they are honouring O'Neil and Edmondson. Chris is still looking mighty fit!

Yes Rollo, it does say something about the former Aussies and their comaraderie and spirit. They certainly rallied to support Chris and Eddo but also to contribute to the charity side of the event (with the auctions etc).

And yes, having that hit with Rosewall was indeed something I will treasure for the rest of my days.

Chris is in great shape. She has to have knee surgery this week, otherwise she would have played in the tournament event as well. And I can tell you she still has that big serve that is so tough to handle.

tennisvideos
Dec 14th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Frankie Durr was your idol ,really ? As a French i'm very proud of that .When i was younger (a lot younger ) i had friends from Marseille who learnt to play with her first coach ( Joseph Stolpa )
Rosewall has the best backhand of all time , fluid and marvelous.How lucky you are to met all this great champions .

Oh Calou, if only you knew! Yes, Frankie Durr is far and away my all time tennis idol - male or female. From the very first moment I saw her on TV in the 1970s I was hooked on tennis forever. And even though I thought I would never see her play (she retired around the late 70s) I collected everything I could on her - videos, photos, articles etc. I had a scrapbook and spent a fortune on her matches from Wimbledon on video.

And then something magical happened - in 1991 I think it was, I was living in London and for the first time they decided to play the womens legends at Wimbledon! So how lucky was I - I literally ran to the courts to catch Frankie in action with Betty Stove and finally after all those years I did get to see her play in person. I saw her for a few years playing there after that and got to meet her, have dinner, go to movies etc. But the biggest thrill was having a hit with her at the Aussie Open! And it is true I did model my game on hers. Here is a photo of my backhand that appeared in a local paper here in Sydney about 10 years back ... yes it's very camp, but so is Frankie Durr! LOL. And if you look closely you will see I am wearing a t shirt that has a picture of Frankie on the front plus her name!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/craig_backhand1.jpg

And the real Mlle Durr:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/tennisvideos/FrancoiseDurr-1.jpg

Yes, you should be proud as a French person. For you have produced so many remarkable players and so original and many unorthodox - I love them esp Lenglen, Durr and Santoro! And of course the Four Musketeers! They are all faves of mine.

If you want to see a thread I created on her with lots of pictures click here:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=15175

calou
Dec 15th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I also love Santoro .Lenglen was my grandfather heroin ,he always spoke of her with "tremolos" in his voice ...
Thanks for the link .

tennisvideos
Dec 20th, 2010, 03:51 AM
I also love Santoro .Lenglen was my grandfather heroin ,he always spoke of her with "tremolos" in his voice ...
Thanks for the link .
I am not surprised he spoke of Lenglen with such emotion. When I read about Lenglen she conjures up all sorts of emotions for me too. Perhaps the greatest legend of them all - not just for her tennis but her magnetic personality and flamboyance. She certainly launched tennis as an exciting sport for the masses and created mass hysteria in her time.
I too love Santoro and the way he could weave 'magic' on the court.
I hope the French keep up the tradition of delivering unorthodox treasures for us in the future!

calou
Dec 20th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I am not surprised he spoke of Lenglen with such emotion. When I read about Lenglen she conjures up all sorts of emotions for me too. Perhaps the greatest legend of them all - not just for her tennis but her magnetic personality and flamboyance. She certainly launched tennis as an exciting sport for the masses and created mass hysteria in her time.
I too love Santoro and the way he could weave 'magic' on the court.
I hope the French keep up the tradition of delivering unorthodox treasures for us in the future!
Lenglen was the first Diva in tennis .I also remember my mother ( a Lenglen fan too ) spoke about the Wimbledon retirement story ,it was a big scandal !
I don't see an unorthodox player for the future , tennis is more robotic ,i'm nostalgic about all these great champions ...