PDA

View Full Version : Mirjana on a mission. Australia 2011.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Miracle Worker
Dec 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Hello everyone. Mirjana has her own forum, so let's use it :rocker:

This is Mirjana's schedule for the summer in Australia:

3 Jan 2011 - 9 Jan 2011
ASB Classic - International
Auckland, New Zealand
Results:
Q1: Lucic defeated Irigoyen 6-1 6-4
Q2: Lucic lost to Lisicki 3-6 4-6

10 Jan 2011 - 16 Jan 2011
Medibank International - Premier
Sydney, Australia
Qualifications

17 Jan 2011 - 30 Jan 2011
Australian Open - Grand Slam
Melbourne, Australia
Main Draw

jela_dokic
Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
Great schedule... at least several points to get herself near to top 80... Good Luck Miki!!!

croat123
Dec 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
good luck miki! hope she is playing somewhere week 2...i'm assuming it'll be hobart cause the sydney qualie draw tends to have a high cut-off

ajmo!
Dec 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Top 80 really would be expected step.

MLF
Dec 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM

Let's see the draws first. Those Australian tournaments are usually loaded with good players looking for early season match play.

How exciting for her and us that in the space of 12 or so months that she's gone from 25K qualies to grand slam main draws - on her 3rd in a row and this time direct entry. She's done so well.

ajmo!
Dec 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I said expected but no that she has to make and I said it that way just because you never know what can happen with draw etc.

MLF
Dec 4th, 2010, 03:50 PM
I said expected but no that she has to make and I said it that way just because you never know what can happen with draw etc.

Maybe it's your English ( which is good by the way I'm not dissing you ) but the way you phrased it implied it's almost a foregone conclusion. I hope the draw is kind - she deserves a wee bit of help.

networthy
Dec 4th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Great schedule... at least several points to get herself near to top 80... Good Luck Miki!!!

Top 80 is very doable for Mirjana; all she has to do is win her first-round match at the AO. Let's hope she gets a good draw.

Sasja
Dec 4th, 2010, 06:13 PM

:D

Sasja
Dec 4th, 2010, 06:17 PM
This is Mirjana's schedule for the summer in Australia:

3 Jan 2011 - 9 Jan 2011
ASB Classic - International
Auckland, New Zealand
Qualifications

10 Jan 2011 - 16 Jan 2011
Hobart? Sydney?

17 Jan 2011 - 30 Jan 2011
Australian Open - Grand Slam
Melbourne, Australia
Main Draw

Nice schedule :)
Last year she still was playing 25k tournaments. She has very few points to defend from the januari-march last year. So hopefully she starts off the season well. :cheer:

ajmo!
Dec 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe it's your English ( which is good by the way I'm not dissing you ) but the way you phrased it implied it's almost a foregone conclusion. I hope the draw is kind - she deserves a wee bit of help.

Yeah, probably..
I mean sometimes it's hard to say what do you think in one sentence and the time when I was writing 'mini-books' on this forum has past since Mirjana got her level somehow back so I don't have anything to say but to congratulate. Anyway I was saying that TOP80 is something she can do easily and it could happen in Australia, and it also seems like a step Mirjana could make before Indian Wells even if she's not gonna do well Down Under. If she's gonna be in form she has a big chance to make huge jump in rankings in the first half of the season, that's for sure.

auntie janie
Dec 4th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Excellent! :dance: Perfect timing, too. Thanks, admins. :hatoff:

ajmo!
Dec 4th, 2010, 08:21 PM
And thanks to me for asking everyone to vote for Miki to get subforum :tape: :p

networthy
Dec 4th, 2010, 09:56 PM
^ Yes, thank you, Lucic fan! :wavey:

Miracle Worker
Dec 4th, 2010, 09:58 PM
And thanks to me for asking everyone to vote for Miki to get subforum :tape: :p

:worship: :worship: :worship:

cro.team
Dec 10th, 2010, 08:56 PM
ajmo miki.......samo naprid....znamo da mozes puno i to od tebe ocekujemo ali bez pritiska...sve ce doc na svoje sritno u australiji....samo pocmi zestoko i hrabro naprid!!!!!! sritno :D:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

croat123
Dec 12th, 2010, 08:52 PM
her facebook has a picture of her training with horia tecau (top20 doubles player) to get ready for AO

SERVivor
Dec 12th, 2010, 09:25 PM
can't wait for 2011. Glad she got the sub-forum. Good to see she's already in training.

mikireturns
Dec 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
Mirjana is not fooling around. She knows how key it was to get back to the Top 100 by year's end and set herself up to play the Slams in 2011.

It is difficult work, but she can still show the scope of her unique talent with some incredible wins.

My belief: Mirjana is gifted enough to just break out and take down everyone in a draw and walk away with a title.

Even a Slam. She would have to get on one hell of a roll, but she has the talent.

mikireturns
Dec 15th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Mirjana cannot be knocked out of the Top 100 by anyone for the rest of this year. Ksenia Pervak was beaten in Round 1and so was Mayr, and all the others that once might have bumped her withdrew. Our girl will be in the Top 100 on January 1, 2011.

FABULOUS!!!!!!

mikireturns
Dec 15th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I'm talking the Dubai 75K, btw.

croat123
Dec 15th, 2010, 12:12 PM
engaged :eek:
congrats miki!

ajmo!
Dec 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM
:inlove:
congrats

MLF
Dec 15th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I saw that but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post it here as it's on her personal page not her public one.

Sammo
Dec 16th, 2010, 03:38 PM
:eek: to whom?

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Congrats Mirjana :hearts: [/subscribes]

Connect_HR
Dec 17th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Sretno u Australiji Mikice :P

Samo naprijed pozzz iz Tuzle :)

Vaxey
Dec 21st, 2010, 04:36 PM
Hopefully Mirka will be in TOP 80 after AO. She'll defending little points, only about 50 from ITF tournaments.

networthy
Dec 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Hopefully Mirka will be in TOP 80 after AO. She'll defending little points, only about 50 from ITF tournaments.

Her early 2010 ITF points are no longer among her best 16 results so they don't count toward her ranking. The soonest she'll be defending points is April :bounce:

Depending on how other players do, Mirjana could be in the top 80 by simply winning her first-round match at the AO :bounce:

ajmo!
Dec 22nd, 2010, 07:46 PM
Mirjana entered Sydney qualies. List's really strong with 9 TOP50 players in.

Miracle Worker
Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
Sydney? So whatever happen there it will be good for her. If she lose, she will have one week to prepare to AO, if she win it will be so amazing.

Sammo
Dec 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
It'll be a great challenge and it will show us how can she perform against players in the top 50, so far we've only seen mediocre players, and good players. Not normal lol

xcrtbckhnd
Dec 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Interesting choice, hope she does well. Would have thought that she would play in Hobart, but this may end up being a better experience for her. So excited for the 2011 season to begin!

croat123
Dec 23rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
i was expecting hobart too, but this is a good choice. even if she only gets one match in, she'll at least get a good guage of where she has to be for the AO

ajmo!
Dec 23rd, 2010, 08:51 PM
can't wait for season to start. i wanna see miki on court so badly. hope lotto changed outfit also :p

mikireturns
Dec 29th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Mirjana now in Auckland, ready to hit the practice courts and adjust to the conditions/time-difference/etc. I'm also pleased that she is willing to test herself against the tougher field later on in Sydney; she is, as we know, particularly inspired when taking-on top tier "name" players.

She's trained extra hard. Mentally she is ready. No player is going to want to see her name in their portion of the draw.

What a relief that she finishes 2010 (and starts 2011!) as one of the globe's 100 best players again. Amazing ... this time last year she was dragging herself to crappy challengers. Now she's back in the big leagues and ready to compete with anyone.

Ballbasher
Dec 29th, 2010, 11:31 AM
All the best for a good start. :inlove:

xcrtbckhnd
Dec 30th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Miki is playing Auckland qualis, right:? Any chance she'll be seeded there?

Miracle Worker
Dec 30th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Miki is playing Auckland qualis, right:? Any chance she'll be seeded there?

This is Q-list

1 Lourdes Donguez(ESP) 85
2 Greta Arn(HUN) 88
3 Sandra Zahlavova(CZE) 89
4 Tamira Paszek(AUT) 90
5 Alberta Brianti(ITA) 92
6 Mirjana Lucic(CRO) 97
7 Jill Craybas(USA) 99
8 Kateryna Bondarenko(UKR) 100
9 Junri Namigata(JPN) 112
10 Olivia Sanchez(FRA) 123
11 Stefanie Voegele(SUI) 126
12 Kurumi Nara(JPN) 131
13 Jamie Hampton(USA) 134
14 Mandy Manella (LUX) 136
15 Eva Birnevova(CZE) 148
16 Monique Adamczak(AUS) 148(SR)
17 Corinna Dentoni(ITA) 150
18 Julia Cohen(USA) 154
19 Stephanie Dubois(CAN) 156
20 Liana Ungur(ROU)157
21 Elena Bovina(RUS) 160
22 Sania Mirza(IND) 164
23 Anna-Lena Groenefeld(GER) 166
24 Silvia Soler Espinosa(ESP) 167
25 Maria Irigoyen(ARG) 169
26 Beatriz Garcia Vidagany(ESP) 173
27 Sabine Lisicki(GER) 174
28 Heather Watson(GBR) 175

I don't know who is already in main draw, but whatever happen she will be seed.

mikireturns
Dec 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
She's certainly seeded ... it will be interesting to watch this season get started; Mirjana's been working really really hard~

croat123
Dec 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
she's gonna be one of the top4 seeds in auckland
there's some tough players in the draw though. in addition to the ones above, sloane stevens also just snuck in

Kuti Kis&Monica
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:52 AM
Though draw. Lisicki in 2R, then Mirza in 3R. Good tests.

Sasja
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:05 AM
Q-draw for WTA Auckland is out. This is her section of the draw:

(2) Mirjana Lucic (CRO) v Maria Irigoyen (ARG)
Stephanie Dubois (CAN) v Sabine Lisicki (GER)
Silvia Soler Espinosa (ESP) v Anne Kremer (LUX)
Sania Mirza (IND) v (8) Stefanie Voegele (SUI)

Sabine in the same part of the draw :sobbing:
Mirza had a good run in Dubai.

GL Miki :cheer:

networthy
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:51 AM

At least Irigoyen is winnable. As for those potential matches against Lisicki and Mirza, I hope Mirjana is mentally and emotionally ready--because I'm not! :scared:

Sasja
Dec 31st, 2010, 08:33 AM
OOP Saturday 1st of January

COURT 4
Starting at: 9:30 am
1. Corinna DENTONI (ITA) vs Leela BEATTIE (NZL)
2. Mirjana LUCIC (CRO) vs Maria IRIGOYEN (ARG)
3. Liana UNGUR (ROU) vs Olivia SANCHEZ (FRA)
4. Florencia MOLINERO (ARG) vs Eva BIRNEROVA (CZE)
5. Silvia SOLER ESPINOSA (ESP) vs Anne KREMER (LUX)

GL Miki :cheer:

Sasja
Dec 31st, 2010, 08:42 AM
At least Irigoyen is winnable. As for those potential matches against Lisicki and Mirza, I hope Mirjana is mentally and emotionally ready--because I'm not! :scared:

:lol:

It's a nice first match for Miki to start with.
But I agree after that it's pretty hard to predict. Being the 1st tournament of the season.
Sania will be confident after winning 75k Dubai. Sabine had no good results since coming back from her injury. But who knows after this break, training and preparing. Maybe she is now ready for new season :unsure:

Don't like the 3 of them in the same part of the draw :sobbing:

Really looking forward to the new season :hearts:

Miracle Worker
Dec 31st, 2010, 09:14 AM
No one said is would be easy, but this draw is really awful :help: But at least we will see how good Mirjana is. We will find out if she is able to win against some good players.

ajmo!
Dec 31st, 2010, 09:45 AM
Not the best draw but better now then on AOpen. GL Miki

ma re
Dec 31st, 2010, 09:49 AM

Ha, ha, my thought exactly:lol: Good luck Miki, I'm really looking forward to the kick-off of 2011!

croat123
Dec 31st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Yikes....about as rough as it gets
Well, she has to get by Irigoyen first.

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 31st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Terrible draw. :unsure:

One match at a time, Miki. You can do it. AJMO! :armed:

mikireturns
Dec 31st, 2010, 02:31 PM
I honestly don't see this as a gloomy draw. Worse would be Mirjana up against players who have hounded her in the past, who are indeed in other parts of the draw (Nara, Nakamura[how'd SHE get in?!], the tough Hampton, etc.). I can certainly envision a win against Irogoyen and Lisicki, if it comes to it, and Mirza won a Dubai field that was not exactly full of depth, inspired in her home territory. But Mirza is but rarely inspired these days and not anywhere near in the kind of shape Mirjana is in.

Mirjana is a better player than all of these women in her quarter, in fact. She has been working hard. She loves to play against new players who have not experienced her game, rather than players she has already faced time and again on the Challenger circuit. She has worked very hard in training and is feeling confident.

This ain't no fiddling-around event. It's a WTA stop and she will have her visor on REALLY tight. Seeded to qualify; I say: bring it on,lesser-ranked girls.

ma re
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't want to rain on anyone's parade, but folks, I see a whole lot of excitement in this thread (I'm to blame too), maybe even a bit too much. Let's hit the breaks a bit so that we don't crash;) I know it's hard not to expect great things from Miki, especially after all she's done in the past three years and now that she's inside the top100, but speaking from experience of a long-time fan of Croatian female tennis players, I know you don't want your hopes up too high with our girls...cause the landing often times hurts so badly...:lol:

Oh and, happy New year Miki, it's now early morning of January 1st in Auckland, so she's literally already stepped into 2011:)

P. S. Happy New year to the rest of you as well:wavey:

mikireturns
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:31 PM
Happy new year to you, as well.

But, if we can't get our hopes up when Miki is ranked above all the babes in her quarter of the qually draw, then what's the point? If she isn't out there to make her move and try to achieve her goals, then why be out there at all.

On form, Miki ought to rise to the occasion and she's won more matches in the past year than any other woman in the qually event. I can't brush that under the rug, and I think the Croatian girls should be judged for their individual talents, not only as a collective of underachievers. Mirjana, we hope, will continue overachieving, because --given her dismal ranking at this point one year ago-- she has been overachieving ever since. Why stop now?

Cheers, all~

ma re
Dec 31st, 2010, 03:45 PM
^^ I sure see your point, I'm just a bit concerned cause none of us (that I know of) have seen her in action for quite some time, and eventhough I'm sure she's been working very hard on the practice court, we all know that a practice match is one thing and that a competitive match is something completely different (some long sentence...).

Hope my worries are for nothing, I'm just being cautious:)

Ajmo Miki:bounce:

rucolo
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Q-draw for WTA Auckland is out.

Of course Mirjana got the toughest Quali section - by far the toughest.:(

Well, she should win her R1 match. Then R2 vs Sabine will be interesting.

Best of luck in 2011, Mirjana!:kiss::bounce:

mikireturns
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:10 PM
Sure, but all these girls are on equal ground -- coming off practice, practice, practice. Miki's got the wins under her belt and, well, either she's "got game" or she doesn't and last year she proved beyond a shadow of doubt that she has got game and can achieve goals when she needs to.

Plus, mentally, I believe she approaches these WTA tour level events a LOT differently than she does Challengers. She hates Challengers, though she likes fellow players and many of the nicer clubs where a few bush league events are held. otherwise, she hates the very idea of playing in them. This is where she belongs and knows it.

An inspired Mirjana is a dangerous Mirjana. This year, she just needs to keep working hard and seize BIG opportunities. She needs to beat a marquee player. For example, a win against Jankovic at last year's US Open would have been obviously ideal; she had a great chance to win but did not seize it (though she got some nice confidence by taking that set). She needs to accomplish one big upset and that will be the next crucial notch in her "confidence belt." To do that, she needs to not only put herself in position to play Top 50 players at these events, but when she meets a marquee player, she needs to serve lights out, go for broke with focus, and just dogfight until she wins. In Auckland, she'll have to get through these lesser ranked girls, but the thought of perhaps meeting a wobbly Sharapova or a rusty Wickmayer in the main draw ought to get her psyched.

Frankly, if she isn't psyched about being back in the elite 100 and even having opportunity to play these big events, we're just treading water here. But she is psyched. :-)

croat123
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:48 PM
it's a tough draw, but she can beat all of them. one step at a time...
4-5 hours to go!

ma re
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:53 PM
She's probably waking up as we speak, I mean type, almost 7 AM in Auckland now...and if this doesn't prove I'm bored...:lol:

Sammo
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:54 PM
Lucic vs. Mirza/Lisicki?? OMG that would be incredible to see :lol: I dont think the court can handle them at the same time without suffering severe damage :lol:

ma re
Dec 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
Btw, any link to live scores for these qualies? (thnx in advance!)

Miracle Worker
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:00 PM
New season starts today. Thanks God.

SERVivor
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:01 PM
It's a tough draw on paper because Mirza and Lisicki are big names. But, Mirza is no longer ranked in the top 100 because of a major lack of consistency, and Lisicki has suffered major injury and bad form in the last year. Of course, she could be 100% physically by now, but still has a lack of match play in the last twelve months. Frankly, I see this as an opportunity for Mirjana to garner two name "scalps" at a time when they are ripe for the picking. The match against Hirogyn should start around 5pm EST (4 hours from now).

MLF
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:11 PM
It's a tough draw on paper because Mirza and Lisicki are big names. But, Mirza is no longer ranked in the top 100 because of a major lack of consistency....

Sania was injured for a lot of the season. She just won the 75K in Dubai, so must be hitting well and had a good Commonwealth Games winning the silver medal and a good US Open. Of course Miki at her best can beat any of these girls but let's not underestimate them.

croat123
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:14 PM
Btw, any link to live scores for these qualies? (thnx in advance!)
http://www.protennislive.com/frameset.asp?year=2011&wkno=1&lang=en&tabno=4&eventid=M025&ref=www.wtatour.com

ma re
Dec 31st, 2010, 05:45 PM
^^ Thnx, I forgot there's also: http://www.livescore.com/tennis.dll

networthy
Dec 31st, 2010, 08:11 PM
The match against Hirogyn should start around 5pm EST (4 hours from now).

:hug:

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 31st, 2010, 09:06 PM
Apparently we're not getting live scores. :o :(

WhatTheDeuce
Dec 31st, 2010, 10:54 PM
Mirjana won 6-1 6-4 according to a poster in the Auckland forum

AJMO! :hearts: Great start! :D

networthy
Dec 31st, 2010, 10:59 PM
^ Excellent!

Btw, the MD is out and the qualifier placements are *very* interesting:

Qualifier v qualifier
Qualifier v qualifier

In one case, whoever wins will play the winner of (5)Sevastova/Oprandi; in the other, it'll be (2)Wickmayer/Safina.

Miracle Worker
Dec 31st, 2010, 11:00 PM
Mirjana won 6-1 6-4 according to a poster in the Auckland forum

AJMO! :hearts: Great start! :D

Great news :hearts:

croat123
Dec 31st, 2010, 11:31 PM
Awesome start!

SERVivor
Jan 1st, 2011, 01:10 AM
Plays Lisicki next. Go Lucic.

kfh_9118
Jan 1st, 2011, 03:45 AM
great start Lucic, good luck against Sabine :scared:

Nice surprise to see she's choosing Sydney over Hobart

mikireturns
Jan 1st, 2011, 03:46 AM
Ummm ... according to the ASB Classic's Twitter site, Mirjana won 6-1 1-6 6-4.

In other words, a win, but not a pretty one. Can anyone confirm or contest this? I can't imagine they would mistakenly screw-up a lost set on Twitter.

croat123
Jan 1st, 2011, 04:39 AM
Oh boy...

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 1st, 2011, 05:51 AM
Hey, a win is a win. I liked the old scoreline better, but at least she got through it. Probably wasn't pretty. She's gonna need to be better against Lisicki.

In any case, Happy New Year, Miki fans :kiss: May 2011 bring you (and Miki) great, great things ;) :hug:

jela_dokic
Jan 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
According to the Auckland Draw, Mirjana won 6/1-6/4,,, so this would be the official score =)

Next up againts Lisicki

networthy
Jan 1st, 2011, 07:29 AM
According to the Auckland Draw, Mirjana won 6/1-6/4,,, so this would be the official score =)

:yeah:

ma re
Jan 1st, 2011, 07:39 AM
Whatever the score, the important thing is that she's thrgough (although I really hope she didn't lose a set against a girl ranked 170...), so well done Miki! We all know she's a kind of player who needs some match play to get into her rhythm so she often starts off slow, but let's hope every match gets her a step closer to her finest.

Good luck against Lisicki!

Kuti Kis&Monica
Jan 1st, 2011, 08:08 AM
Apparently, the real score vs Irigoyen is 61 64, Twitter was wrong (source : WTA Tour)

ma re
Jan 1st, 2011, 09:58 AM
Yup, various live score websites also state the 6:1, 6:4 result.

Btw, Lisicki lost a set to Dubois, yes, the same Dubois that is currently outside of 150 (and never been higher than #95) and whom Miki beat in straight sets last May in Raleigh. Incidentally, after that Raleigh match, both Miki and Dubois, started playing quite a bit better.

Lisicki on the other hand, is very far from any sort of good form, her results last year were...let's just say less than impressive (her last note worthy win was 1 & 0 over The Mighty Coco in R1 of USO). She has barely stayed inside 200. So this is a nice chance for Miki. Not saying that it'll necessarily be easy cause Sabine is a very experienced player and a former #22, but still, if Miki is on fire - and it looks like she's getting there - Lisicki shouldn't have too much of a chance.

Go for it Miki!

MLF
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:23 AM
Confirmed by Miki herself that it was 6-1 6-4. Nice start. :) Hopefully Lisicki's serve is off in the next round. ;)

Sasja
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
Nice start of the season :)

Now vs Sabine. I like both :sobbing:

Hele.
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM
Miki :D

tennismaster8820
Jan 1st, 2011, 12:58 PM
Nice start of the season :)

Now vs Sabine. I like both :sobbing:

I also like them both.
Shame they have to meet now meaning one won't qualify! :(
Good luck Mirjana!

croat123
Jan 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
i gotta say, i'm relieve she didn't lose the second set 1-6. it would still have been great that she won, but that would have been a bad, bad sign
great job miki :D gotta stay focused today!

mikireturns
Jan 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Happy 2011, everyone! (I was in bed by 10, after watching the New York ball drop at 9 ... our California New Year's Eves are kind of anticlimactic).

So, yes, Miki, won 1 and 4 and one thing is certain: the Kiwis can't run a tournament website or even a twitter account properly, because La Lucic is proud of her straight set win, and rightfully so.

This is a great confidence builder, to win in straights for the year's first match ... sets a tone, rings that bell. Today's Lisicki battle ought to be even more up Mondo Miki's proverbial alley: big hitting against a girl who does not hit as big as she does, and with far less conviction these days.

I think Mirjana will enjoy this coming encounter.

Now. Let's hope the ASB folks find some geeky Peter Jackson/Lord of the Rings computer nerd Kiwi to get their livescoring on track. It surely must be a lovely, atmospheric event -- New Zealand (even the metropolis of Auckland) is a stunning country. It's a freakishly isolated realm, but then again, so is Hawa'ii, and one never has trouble getting up-to-the-minute news from Maui.

A.j.m.o. MIKICA

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 1st, 2011, 03:07 PM
1 & 4. :hearts:

croat123
Jan 1st, 2011, 05:12 PM
if the live scores don't work today... :fiery:
the good news is, i think there were live scores for center court yesterday on bet365...at least we have a backup

mikireturns
Jan 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
Hopefully she'll get the measure of Lisicki. They have never played and Mirjana is the favorite, on paper. If she is in the kind of form that allows her to brush aside a backboard like Irigoyen, then she ought to relish a big-hitting bashfest with the far more risky-playing Lisicki. Miki likes someone who gives her the kind of pace that grooves her own big shots.

In any case, the first win of the year was so crucial. She's feeling rather happy and free these days ... perhaps this freedom will translate to her game's trajectory. Good luck to her, of course.

croat123
Jan 1st, 2011, 06:20 PM
4 hours or so...good luck miki!

mikireturns
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:18 PM
So much for Auckland ... Miki goes down in straights to Lisicki. 3 and 4 ~

Sasja
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:19 PM
Miki :sad: :hug:

croat123
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:34 PM
:crying2: this one really hurts :sad:

SERVivor
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:35 PM
It sucked the livescores didn't work for the match. To add insult to injury for Lucic fans, Bet365 is now showing the livescore for the Mirza match. Also, the Brisbane tournament is working on the Livescores, but, of course, not Aukland.

Miracle Worker
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:38 PM
The score really hurts, but Sabine is good player, and now Miki has few days to figure out what was wrong and how improve her weakness.

croat123
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:41 PM
stupid auckland :fiery:
i really want to know what her serve stats were
and now we have to wait a week for her to play again :sad:

SERVivor
Jan 1st, 2011, 11:56 PM
The score really hurts, but Sabine is good player, and now Miki has few days to figure out what was wrong and how improve her weakness.

That's true. And she got a few matches under her belt. It's all about fine-tuning for the Ausie Open.

mikireturns
Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Lisicki

proved too tricky

for Miki

A snag in her plans, for sure. Sabine isn't that good a player, anymore, and as the No. 2 seed featured on centre court, this was totally winnable. I mean ... R2 qualifying against a much lower-ranked player? I'm a bit stunned she could not have made it at least to a showdown with the apparently motivated Mirza. But, perhaps she will be more inspired in Sydney against players who are much, much, much tougher than Mirza, Lisicki & co.

networthy
Jan 2nd, 2011, 12:48 AM
Mirjana should have played Quanzhou ITF :hysteric:

ajmo!
Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:27 AM
No, she did a good thing coming to Auckland, but she lost to a decent player. This is only the first tournament in 2011 so nothing's lost. Anyway, we should know more after Sydney.

Ballbasher
Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:41 AM
Lisicki

proved too tricky

for Miki

A snag in her plans, for sure. Sabine isn't that good a player, anymore, and as the No. 2 seed featured on centre court, this was totally winnable. I mean ... R2 qualifying against a much lower-ranked player? I'm a bit stunned she could not have made it at least to a showdown with the apparently motivated Mirza. But, perhaps she will be more inspired in Sydney against players who are much, much, much tougher than Mirza, Lisicki & co.
Sabine still has the game. She was probably the most difficult player to face. :o I like them both so much. :(
Miki :hug: Hopefully she can do better in Sydney. I really wonder why she doesn't try Doubles. The draw is very weak!

mikireturns
Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:57 AM
This was likely one of those matches that could have gone either way, for Miki. Truth be told, Lisicki is a very dangerous and talented girl, of course. If she is back on the upswing with her talent, then maybe this is not such a stunning loss for Mirjana. The list of top players Lisicki has beaten in the last three years is, as we know, pretty astonishing, injury issues aside. If she goes far in this event, then Miki can gauge her performance more appropriately. Still, I would like to see her taking some significant scalps pretty soon. Hoping she gets a Top 50 player in the Sydney quallies. She certainly has a lot of practice time and chances to get even more acclimated to conditions.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:09 AM
:hysteric: Oh well. Not that shocked.

On to Sydney. Ajmo.

ma re
Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Mirjana should have played Quanzhou ITF :hysteric:

Oh will you stop with the Quanzhou thing already, you're saying that about all of our girls:lol: I swear, next time I'll sign you up for Quanzhou since you like it so much:happy:

On a side note, this result sure isn't something we were hoping for, but it's not the end of the world. The fact that Miki was one of the top seeds also emphasizes that she should've won it, but Lisicki isn't exactly some 17 y.o. unranked wild-card. Anyway, hoping for better things in Sydney and especially Melbourne, cause I always say that all these events are just tune-ups for those really important tournaments. And if Miki makes a win or two in Melbourne, I'm willing to forget any eventual losses that happened coming there.

JLC
Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:38 AM
I totally forgot that the new season already started. Bummer she's already out of Auckland. Too bad she didn't make it through qualies...look at the draw for the 4 qualifiers. Dang.

Did I read a few pages back that she got engaged? To whom?

croat123
Jan 2nd, 2011, 07:31 PM
aaaa we would have had a live feed of her today :crying2:

croat123
Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
lisicki is playing very, very well :sad: bullshit draw

networthy
Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:30 AM
Oh will you stop with the Quanzhou thing already, you're saying that about all of our girls:lol: I swear, next time I'll sign you up for Quanzhou since you like it so much:happy:

You get my sense of humor! :) :wavey:

networthy
Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:31 AM
lisicki is playing very, very well :sad: bullshit draw

Yup: Lisicki def. Mirza 61 67(7) 76(5)

ajmo!
Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
It was a nice match from Sabine, Mirjana was just unlucky with draw. I didn't really expect much from first tournament, hope she'll do better in Sydney.

networthy
Jan 3rd, 2011, 08:30 AM
If Mirjana had qualified instead of Lisicki, she would have played Molinero (#185) in R1. *Huge* wasted chance for a WTA MD win...

mikireturns
Jan 3rd, 2011, 02:10 PM
If Mirjana had qualified instead of Lisicki, she would have played Molinero (#185) in R1. *Huge* wasted chance for a WTA MD win...

Meh. Sure, she ought to have qualified, ideally, and I have no doubt that her goal was to qualify, but the more I look at it, it wasn't a wasted opportunity because she ran into an exceptionally dangerous "floater" in the qually draw R2 after a strong opening match. Lisicki has demonstrated greater performance on the tennis court within the last two years -- wins over Venus, Caroline, Svetlana, Lindsay, Victoria Azarenka, and a slew of other top players.

So Lisicki really is the "darkhorse" player in the quallies of this event that no one would want to see in their bracket. She's had injuries and brainfarts (look at the Mirza match -- wax job in the first set and then wastes match points in the 2nd), but in the end, she deserved to qualify. Could Mirjana have beaten her? Yes, but not the other day, obviously.

Mirjana needs to just keep doing what she's doing, fine-tune her serve and returns, and she will be in position to win against a highly ranked player when the draw presents her with the opportunity. She will have better chances for this in the next two events -- Sydney and the Oz Open. There, she has a good chance of facing a Top 50 star in qualifying (!) and who knows who she could face at the Open? At the Open, ideally, I would like to see her spank a lower-ranked player in R1 and then play the match of her life against, say, a Top 20 player in the next round. That is what she needs at this juncture in her comeback, and I think it's what she wants.

At this stage, Miki wants to play "name" players immediately and win ... wins which will pave the way toward "big" titles. It may be an odd strategy, but I don't think she wants so much to slog through qualification rounds, even in WTA level events. But to get to the big names, she must.

Conundrum. She'll need to strike the balance, because she will have to get through many Lisicki types, at times.

ajmo!
Jan 3rd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Another reason why Mirjana should do good this year and why she should consider playing doubles are Olympic games in London next year. She never played at Olympics and also the Olympic tournament's gonna be held in her 'Wimbledon'. I don't even think she was really thinking about it. And if she wants to be there she has to get up in rankings and start to play doubles.

ma re
Jan 4th, 2011, 07:33 AM
^^ It would be amazing to see her playing Olympics, but I won't get my hopes up. Not because I don't believe in her being ranked high enough or anything like that, but more because there was too much tension between her and people from our tennis association, business and politics. And since (from what I know) your national Olympic commitee has to invite you to represent your country at the Olympics, I don't think there's much chance for Miki to get such an invitation.

mikireturns
Jan 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM
For those interested (and who have not seen the clip already) there is a nice assemblage of highlights from Mirjana's Wimbledon Centre Court clash with Azarenka last June.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wEfLczz-sw

In a number of ways, it provides ample proof that, on many levels, our beautiful Miki still "has it"; this was no cakewalk for Azarenka, who surely must have been told that she would be tangling with a dangerous veteran who had come out of nowhere to qualify. Indeed, one can see the seriousness with which Azarenka approached this contest. Her game was well-calibrated and her focus was untouchable.

For Miki's part, she brought a lot of composure to the setting, as well as her own focus and firepower. The clips truly demonstrate Mirjana's underrated ability to "work a point" when she is fully dialed-in, as well as her better-than-people-think-they-are defensive talents. Mainly, however, her blistering pace and ability to hit scary winners off both sides (but particularly the forehand) are on display. Of course, the serve (minus the little hitch) can be a big weapon when it's on.

There is little doubt in my mind that Mirjana would have beaten just about anyone else just beneath Azarenka's capability with this level of play, on that day, and if Azarenka had been any less focused for that first rounder, the contest could have gone in Miki's favor. Miki's deficiencies, however, are also evident in the footage (no pun intended), e.g. she needs to improve her footspeed more than her footwork, per se, and with her vast-improved fitness, that is a thing quite within the realm of accomplishment. Particularly on the return-of-serve, Miki needs -- not a more explosive stroke-reaction -- but a more explosive body-reaction. She needs more lightning-fast lower-body response on the service-return, and hopefully her coach(es) recognize this particularity and are willing to work on it with her.

The same principle applies to big-hitting baseline exchanges on any surface: Miki needs that extra half-second, that impressively reactionary "burst of speed" to track down shots. Not saying she's slow ... just that she could still improve in that sphere and give herself every edge possible. Sprints and change-up sprints (like the ones Steffi used to work on relentlessly in her training) would benefit Mirjana immensely, I believe, and shore-up enough of her consistency to both compliment and calibrate that stunning firepower. More winners, more accurately. And more opportunities for defense when stretched, allowing her to get back into a point for that all-important chance to keep a tense exchange alive.

But, that's more hard work on top of the work she's already doing. More time. And time is money, and money = extra coaching in the footspeed department. Hence, the conundrum. In an ideal world, Mirjana would have a coach devoted exclusively to improving her footspeed, the way other (top-ranked) players have such specialized trainers at beck and call.

Let's hope a breakthrough win is around the corner for her. She is so close. My concern is that she has not beaten anyone very high-up in the top 100, even last year. She needs (and is capable of achieving) an upset over a Top 20-50player ... perhaps even a Top 10 star if she plays lights-out. Hopefully the stars will align and she will have many chances to face players of that caliber in the next few weeks/months.

That kind of win would be the next crucial "confidence" ingredient in her comeback recipe, and she can do it ... she just has to do it. Now is the time. Anytime. Break through and do it. Don't think about it. Do it.

But watching bits of the Azarenka tussle reminds us that she most unquestionably can.

Very much looking forward to Sydney and Melbourne to see what she's got. I'm certain she doesn't feel so crappy after the Lisicki match ... Lisicki squashed Molinero like a bug in the first round of the MD.

ma re
Jan 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM
^^ I haven't seen those highlights yet, and, compared to the Jankovic match, this definately looks much better. It's also obvious how much more focused she is compared to what we see in smaller tournaments and smaller matches.

Surface also played a role here, cause nowdays grass in terms of speed is somewhere inbetween clay and hardcourts, which suits Miki due to her movement limitations. Good news is that the speed of courts on the tournaments leading up to AO and in Melbourne itself, is quite similar.

Your observations are spot-on, movement is really one of her major limitations, but it's not something you can't work on. Roger Federer is the best example - being a year older than Miki he can still impress you with his speed on the court. In fact, I think that apart from his "magical wrist", his greatest asset is a wonderful combination of anticipation and speed. That is something that can really give you that extra bit of time, just enough for a chance to position yourself much better for the shot. If Miki could improve that part of her game, it would be of great help to her getting those bigger wins. She is extra fit, which is also helpful in Australia, and can give her an advantage over a player with an inferior stamina.

All in all, I'm pretty sure it'll be a memorable 2011:)

SERVivor
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Another thing she could improve, which is tactical, is the second serve return. She needs to strike a balance between being offensive, but not too offensive. When I watched her at the U.S. Open, she was hitting some winners off the oppondent's second serve, but way too many unforced errors.

ma re
Jan 5th, 2011, 07:31 AM
We also can't forget the serve - for someone who can hit it over 190 km/h she's not getting too many cheap points.

mikireturns
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Ditto on the second-serve returns and also her own actual serve. I, for one, think she should continue to attack second serve returns ferociously, because the women's game these days is all about who can return (seeing as the whole tour has got the yips on their serves except Serena, who plays twice a year). Mirjana needs to improve her core on the service returns ... from lower-body on up to her core, she needs that extra split-second of explosive torque. She has the hips for it. An improvement in that area would tame many of those errant (read: LATE) service return strokes, and any ground stroke where she's late to the ball and sprays it, for that matter.

She's so wonderfully fit now, but she can still tighten a few screws here and there to become optimum. Just being skinny doesn't mean everything; the fitness has to be tailored to the specific needs in a particular player's style, the demands of their unique game.

For her serve, she just needs to serve buckets of balls in practice and grow more confident with timing and variety. At this late stage, I wouldn't want her to change too much about her motion, which is fluid and economic, given the amount of power she expends (which is a lot). I do believe she is one of the few women on tour whose serve could truly be used regularly as a big weapon, once her confidence gets rolling. It's already a fairly good weapon, and her double-faults come not from wimpiness but from aggression (which is a good/better thing than wimpiness). But the double faults must go, and one way to do that may be to practice and master a reliable kick serve out as wide as possible.

I'd also like to see her rush the net when she's got a girl cornered, because 99% of the girls can't pass worth shit these days, and Miki's got good instincts at net ... or at least better instincts than most all observers give her credit for.

Well, I guess she should just hire her forum fans as coaching consultants, seeing as we are "free". I hope she plays Kvitova in the opening round in Sydney quallies.

ajmo!
Jan 5th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I'm sure she's never gonna change her style, she's 28 now and there is no chance, not now. She's actually doing better, I pleased with 6-1 6-4 win in QR1 in Auckland and match against Lisicki was solid I guess. It was the first tournament for Mirjana on 'new' surface and to lose 6-3 6-4 to inspired Lisicki is not that bad. Who knows, maybe Mirjana even had some chances to win it(at least set 2). But she's already off to Sydney and I'm sure she will play on TOP 100 level, and that's her level at the moment. I would be happy if she could win a match or two in Sydney and (at least) a match in Melbourne. It would give her the confidence and nice rank (she could maybe even avoid playing IW and Miami qualifications). Mirjana is getting closer and closer, a year ago she was losing sets 6-0 to McHale, when you think of that 6-3 6-4 to Lisicki is not bad at all. She has a huge chance to get high in rankings and she probably wont miss it. And to return to the topic about her playing style: she is that kind off player, she hits the ball as hard as she can, she fights like crazy and never gives up. So don't doubt, she'll find her place under the stars soon. It's just a matter off confidence and she's been getting a lot of confidence lately. So next step for her would be to beat a TOP50 player and to try to win some big matches. Another step would be as well to try to get into some WTA quaterfinal(like in Memphis, Bogota-wherever she plays) or R3 in Melbourne, IW, Miami. That would be the next step for her. She just needs few big matches, few big wins and she'll be back in business. She's now at the same position like she was some 2 year ago(but on challengers), plays a lot of qualifications matches and often gets the MD but just can't really find that breakthrough. She'll find it sooner or later, she still has some good 4 years on tour and if she was able to come back after such a long break and 2 so disappointing season on ITF tour she's gonna be able to do it now again. The best is yet to happen.

mikireturns
Jan 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Yep. She ought not to change her basic style at this stage, as I noted, but I also reiterate that she just needs a key win (or two) over a Top 10-50 player (or players) at any stage of any event, and she will make HUGE strides in confidence and those ranking points.

On the right day, I think she is totally absolutely utterly physically technically psychologically ready to get that key win, and that "right day" is not far away, I think. She just has to go out there and make it happen. She must not merely hope a win will just "happen", but must take a key match with her skill and will.

As for having four more years on the tour, sure, she certainly has them if healthy and interested, but I don't see her hanging around forever if she does not parlay this Top 100 opportunity into at least a Top 60 spot by year's end, for a variety of reasons. I don't see her ever going back to regular Challenger hell, not after this crucial inorad she has made. There are other things she can do, and will always have the wonderful honor of her fine 2010 effort to hold in her heart.

That being said, I think she is going to do some serious damage this year and shake things up. She has come to far and she is powerful, dangerous, and wants it BAD.

I also agree, more and more, that Mirjana's first two matches (though we do not know her stats) indicate that she is playing solidly right now and is focused. Lisicki took a set off defending champ Wickmayer yesterday, let it be known.

Go, Lady Lucic!

ajmo!
Jan 5th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Didn't entered Pattaya, Paris nor Memphis.
So I would guess she plans to play Bogota/Acapulco or Dubai/Doha.

croat123
Jan 5th, 2011, 11:07 PM
i'm thinking it's bogota/acapulco...we know how much she loves the clay
really surprised she didn't do memphis though...weak field and a great surface for her

ajmo!
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:29 AM
I think she could be playing in Doha and Dubai because she could be returning to Fed Cup. I don't know the week of FC but it would be a good decision to play in Israel and then UAE and Quatar. But, yeah, Acapulco and Bogota would be a good choice.

Miracle Worker
Jan 6th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Sydney Qualie Draw:

(1)Kvitova v Savchuk
(wc)Patterson v Martic
(wc)Bai v Niculescu
Scheepers v (8)Zahlavova Strycova

(2)Hercog v Craybas
Hlavackova v (wc)Mirkovic
Razzano v Cornet
Rodina v (7)Benesova

(3)Dulko v Hradecka
Johansson v King
Parmentier v Yakimova
(wc)Letcher v (11)Lepchenko

(4)Makarova v Vandeweghe
Sprem v McHale
Arn v Voegele
(wc)Rajicic v (10)Medina Garrigues

(5)Bacsinszky v Marino
Zahlavova v Camerin
(wc)Hopper v Voracova
Kulikova v (9)Bammer

(6)Dushevina v Ondraskova
Barrois v Cirstea
Lucic v Rus
Dominguez Lino v (12)Jovanovski

ma re
Jan 6th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Not a bad draw I'd say. A winnable first match, and then hopefuly a fight against a hot newcomer, who is solid enough to get Miki interested in a fight, but not exactly in the best form of her life lately (although she seems to be in good form generally speaking). But let's take it a step at a time and first take out Rus.

Btw, I'm probably the only person who follows Croatian players and who still didn't realize (until networthy posted it earlier today in another thread) that Miki has actually been listed in our FED Cup team on the official FC page! (:smash:) In other words, she's back into the team for the first time in...what...a century:lol: Smart move by her I have to say, for several reasons. A) a good PR for her, will get her into the minds of even those who don't follow tennis that much, B) it'll give her a chance to play more matches against some really solid players, C) a bit of a cash injection can't hurt either. Really nice to see that news!

croat123
Jan 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
it's a tough qualifying draw so this is about as good as the draw gets...one match at a time miki :)

croat123
Jan 6th, 2011, 11:45 AM
fed cup :eek::yeah:

tennismaster8820
Jan 6th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Good luck Mirjana! :rocker:

mikireturns
Jan 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
This is a good portion of the draw in which to stretch her wings and demonstrate solid, focused tennis: the kind she presumably played against Irigoyen to win so handily and to stay close to an admittedly on-fire Lisicki.

But she'll need to be solid solid solid. Would love to see her bring her big guns against Dushevina, but, yes, one match at a time.

The Fed Cup remains to be seen ... deals must be struck. It would represent a lot of things to/for Mirjana and for her countrymen and women. Pivotal -- and yet more indication of her full-fledged return to the mix, if it comes to pass.

I do not see her remotely competing in either Bogota or Mexico on clay and then flipping back to hard courts for the Indian Wells & Floridian events. No sense there at all, and economically prohibitive for her. I'm planning to see her in Indian Wells for the new BNP. Let's keep hoping she brings this good, solid, tennis she is playing to the courts in the next three weeks, and adds some ~extra~ spark!

ajmo!
Jan 6th, 2011, 03:40 PM
http://www.fedcup.com/en/news/articles/wozniacki-leads-group-i-nominations.aspx

Croatia
Players: Mirjana Lucic, Ajla Tomljanovic, Jelena Pandzic, Silvia Njiric
Captain: Goran Prpic

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 6th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Reminder for me - Mirjana on at 6pm ET tonight.

mikireturns
Jan 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM
NOT just a rumor, then. I'll bet she plays ... she has expressed willingness to do so again in the past. Great news!

SERVivor
Jan 6th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Doable section of the draw. Dushevina is the toughest possible opponent. Very powerful, but not a good mover.

Sasja
Jan 6th, 2011, 07:57 PM
GL Miki :rocker2:

Pebbles
Jan 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Best of luck Mirjana!

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Mirjana down 2*-4

0/6 on BP chances so far :o

kfh_9118
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
forget the first set, Miki, come back and fight!

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:18 AM
2-5* :shrug:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:33 AM
4-6

PICK IT UP NOW :fiery: This would be a bad loss. :shrug:

kfh_9118
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:38 AM
will be so sad if Miki loses this, her potential next round opponent might be LSL instead of Bojana :fiery:

C'mon Miki, fight hard

kfh_9118
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Miki down a break in the second set :mad:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:54 AM
4-6 2-3*

Ugh.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 01:58 AM
4-6 2-5..... :help:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:03 AM
4-6 2-6 :o

Crappy loss, wasted a good chance of qualifying here cause her draw was pretty good all things considered. Very disappointing. Hope she has something better to give for Melbourne. :shrug:

kfh_9118
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:09 AM
:help:
What a terrible lost, even Australian junior player got more games than Miki last week against Rus :o

Hopefully she will improve her game at AO, which is what matters the most.
I have low expectation though, only hope she will have an easy draw, at least just for Rd 1 :angel:

mikireturns
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Speechless. Totally ridiculous and unacceptable loss. There are no excuses for this. She either wins matches like this, against inferior players, lesser ranked players, at this brief and crucial point of opportunity in her comeback, or else why is she even out there?

I mean, you're the 96th ranked player in the world with a superpower game, coming back from the trenches of crap in the 240 rankings, after all this time, and now is your moment to brace yourself and seize your chances on the WTA, and she can't even rise to the challenge?

There is no question: you WIN these kinds of matches. Arantxa Rus?

Miki, I love you, but this is an unforgivably shitty loss. Poor Mirjana. Poor Mirjana's fans.

SERVivor
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:52 AM
At least I missed the livescores. I had no idea this match was being played today. I thought it was tomorrow. Looks like, from the stats, the first set was very competitive, and she had alot of break chances which she couldn't convert. Second set stats look bad.

mikireturns
Jan 7th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Ugh. Don't care how competitive she is with All-Time Great Legends like Arantxa Rus. If she is the player we know she can be, a match like this is a no-brainer. You just don't fuck it up.

As many of us have said before, or implied before, Mirjana hits so freakingly hard and flat and go-for-broke that she really needs to have her brain totally focused for every match, especially against players who, quite inconveniently, may happen to bore her.

And, of course, Rus is a frickin' LEFT-HANDER, which indeed could have thrown Miki off, but Mirjana is the experienced one. The Miki-type player figures it out. You win the damn match against the pee-on player, if you aim to crack the big time again. You lose a couple games, then get it together and brush them aside like weak little fruit flies. But Miki is really like a genius doodling on her notebook among a class of annoying "everyday" types ... if it's not an "interesting" opponent, I do believe she gets bored and distracted, which is doom for her huge type of game. If she isn't thoroughly concentrating, she can't keep a serve or a ground-stroke on the court and goes for ridiculously low percentage shots. MIKI!

This is such a big trip for her; I can't believe she could not pull herself together, given how this is THE TIME to seize opportunities for points, for wins, for money.

I know she's kicking herself right now. I feel for her. Poor kid.

One thing is for sure: She'd better play like fire is coming out of her ass in Melbourne.

kfh_9118
Jan 7th, 2011, 03:50 AM
the sixth game in the first set was the key, she had so many chances to break and it's a long game, when she lost that game, she ended up lost her serve again in the next game. I feel should she won that game, she should win the first set, and it could change the end result of this match.

very disappointed with her result so far this year :sad:

Sasja
Jan 7th, 2011, 04:38 AM
Miki :sad: :hug:

Hopefully she will do better at the AO

But I'm happy for Aran :) When I saw the draw I didn't expect Aran to win this one to be honest.

mikireturns
Jan 7th, 2011, 05:56 AM
the sixth game in the first set was the key, she had so many chances to break and it's a long game, when she lost that game, she ended up lost her serve again in the next game. I feel should she won that game, she should win the first set, and it could change the end result of this match.

very disappointed with her result so far this year :sad:

I hear you, kfh ... and it's so nice to see Elena D's sweet face when you post, btw :p

BUT. An eager, ambitious player does not even blink when they have more than two-three break points in a game. The experienced Mirjana-type just takes control. That is how it works. I thought she would be far better prepared, mentally. This is an insane loss for her, and I'll explain why.

The Lisicki loss I could partly grasp, but even then, if you want to show your goods and build your aura, you beat the lesser-ranked Lisickis, too! Yes, you do. "I'm Mirjana Lucic and I plan on winning big titles." Well, if that is so, you don't let uncertain, lower-ranked Lisicki-types upset you. You say, "Hey. She's young and probably dangerous but I'm ranked higher, I've won more matches, I'm more talented, and she's played like shit lately so I'm going to kick her ass!"

Then you do it.

The Arantxa Rus types? You wipe the court with them, just as "practice" for later matches against big players. ("Wow, this girl is inexperienced, inconsistent, lower-ranked, and without direction. I'm going to destroy her.")

I don't pretend to know Mirjana's thoughts, but I have followed the overall women's game for ... a long time ... and written professionally about it at various junctures, and I have enjoyed really looking at Mirjana's game on a significant number of courtside occasions since Pac-Life Indian Wells '07 and Winter (Ft. Stinky Walton Beach) '09, chatting with the woman (she is indeed a gracious, kind, witty lady). Of course, I had been an observer of her efforts over a decade before any of that, when I was editor and contributor for a California tennis magazine.

Whatever that "means" or doesn't "mean", and I may well be wrong, I think she needs a new coach to punctuate and also indicate the new level she reached at the end of 2010. This is how ambitious players "work it" on tour, since the start of the Open Era, almost. It's a mental carousel. It's like a sly game of poker. There exists as much strategy off the court as on ... SO many matches are won off the court, even at the 50-100 ranking level in qually rounds ("Did you hear so and so has a new coach since she hit No. 122 'cuz they're saying she's a sure thing for a Nike deal because everyone at IMG agrees she can kick all our asses this year blah blah blah freakin' blah.").

Seriously.

I am thrilled and proud of Mirjana's fine 2010 and, if she retired today, I would applaud her for a grand comeback, all things considered.

But I'll tell you one thing: if I were a coach who just saw my otherwise down & out player soar a rather dramatic 150 places up the rankings in six months, snatch a Top 100 spot at the very Nth hour of the ending year, AND secure a breathless spot in a Slam MD for the first time in over a decade, I'd damn well make sure she was super-freaking prepared to send big, appropriate signals at the very start of the new season, particularly since she ambitiously entered these WTA events (!), and is spending her money to linger there, now uselessly.

A travesty. Aside from starting the year with one win, it would have been light years better for Miki to have practiced hard, with intermittent rest, and just gone straight to the Oz Open. She's earned NO points and NO confidence from these preliminary events.

I do blame that state of affairs on poor coaching, poor strategy, or on not being able to afford a top-flight coach, whatever. After the year she had in 2010, this start is unacceptable and only underscores the fact that she ought to upgrade her coach if she wants to upgrade her career at the crucial instant when a career demands upgrading or else it fizzles.

Frankly, one big, high-profile win, or one decent tournament run from Mirjana at the Oz Open (or Fed Cup, or...or...or...) would solve ALL ... and give her more room to negotiate for the next level of coaching, but she is going to have to pull that particular rabbit out of the hat herself, now. I know Jeff Russell was great for her in 2010, but she needed an equally "on it" 2011 coach who saw to it that she came out of the gate STRONG STRONG STRONG. That she "gave notice".

She didn't, and coaching/training/economic issues are part of this, and now she has to turn it around fast, because this ain't pussy-footing about in the Challengers, honey. I am stunned she was not more on-target to start this crucial, early 2011 trajectory.

It makes the difference between parlaying a hopeful season (which 2010 was for Miki) into the genuine breakthrough season she's been busting her ass for the entire time.

Now it's up to her. I truly hope she makes it, because this girl is a story among stories, and a bright girl, and a special girl, and a bit of a force of nature. The biggest reason I really like her is because I revere outlandish talent, and Mirjana's got it, but her gift is not well-monitored and controlled (given its magnitude) and sometimes even geniuses need another genius to guide them and force them to get a grip on their own, big, freakish, unwieldy talent. Don't think so?

I have two words (and a slash) for you: Graf/Gunthardt. (And there are MANY MORE examples).

I want Mikica to play like a psychopath and win a few rounds (or more!) in Oz and then take her coaching/training situation to the next level.

She must. She's come so far.

networthy
Jan 7th, 2011, 06:32 AM
For me, given the ranking points and money involved, a single MD win at the AO would make up for Mirjana's uninspired play over the past three and a half months. A loss, on the other hand, would be disastrous.

Let's pray for a weak opening-round opponent so she can pick up those points and coins. Then bring on the big guns in R2 so Mirjana can test herself against the best.

mikireturns
Jan 7th, 2011, 07:31 AM
For me, given the ranking points and money involved, a single MD win at the AO would make up for Mirjana's uninspired play over the past three and a half months. A loss, on the other hand, would bedisastrous.

Yeah, which is why I said, basically, "If you aren't properly coached and ready to kick ass starting with Auckland, why not save LOTS of money and hire a physiotherapist, take a few extra 'mental days', then train like a demon, and afterward just go, frothing at the mouth, directly to Melbourne?"

Miki's doing what she thinks is best, right now. Her uninspired play for the last 3 1/2 months is perhaps true, but everybody who moans about that is forgetting that she got the 'flu at the very freaking height of a weird 'flu season, and it is debilitating.

I got it for four/five days in late November and wanted to turn myself into a caterpillar and spin a cocoon. Instead, I went out and did my usual 6-mile daily run and got more 'run-down' as a result. Stopped in my tracks. Imagine what Miki, a premier athlete, felt like doing. Keep in mind that she killed everbody in Albuquerque and was on her way to doing the same in Arizona when she started getting a fever.

Then, after that, I'll grant you, some extra things began absorbing her attention away from tennis, and, if she flops in Melbourne like a brainless, dead fish, I'll know why she's done and I'll accept it.

It will be a waste, tennis-wise, but now, after she has sucked so badly in what should have been her "I AM BACK AND I AM GOING TO MAKE SOME NOISE EARLY-ON TO EMPHASIZE IT!" effort, we'll soon see exactly how invested she is in taking her comeback to the actual comeback level.

She gets the benefit of the doubt until then.

ma re
Jan 7th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Did I read a few pages back that she got engaged? To whom?

The way she's been playing lately you'd think it's to Borna Bikic...:D

Seriously though, this is a worrisome loss. She definately needs to step it up and give her 100% in Melbourne. But I don't really know what to hope for in terms of draw. Another draw like in Sydney, could end...like in Sydney, while a match-up against some major star could either end-up as a great and important upset, or as another terrible and depressing loss.

But you just can't know anything in advance. Many of us who follow other Croats as well, probably remember how great of a start of 2010 Marin Cilic had. He won Chennai and went on to reach the semis of AO, only to play pretty much like crap for the rest of the year and finish it almost outside of top15 (the year he started at #8, I think). So sometimes things change for no obvious reason and something like that might happen to Miki as well. Let's hope it really does. One thing that gives me hope is that I'm pretty certain she's a kind of person who is her greatest critic and is probably kicking herself big time because of this, which could make her mad/determind enough to get things going the right way in Melbourne.

P. S. I think I figured it out to whom she's engaged - to Mikireturns! He's a reasonably young, reasonably handsom, educated and well mannered guy, who often sounds like he's got a major case of a crush for our girl:lol: God, I'll get killed for this...:angel:

volume3d
Jan 7th, 2011, 10:12 AM
oh no!...miki you are just a bad player..everyone can hit that ball like a maniac and pray that maybe 1 of 10 will go in!I dont expect anything from her at Australian open...did she even won some match against decent well know player in 2010.?(who?) please dont tell me 'Šprem' :)

mikireturns
Jan 7th, 2011, 11:55 AM
P. S. I think I figured it out to whom she's engaged - to Mikireturns! He's a reasonably young, reasonably handsom, educated and well mannered guy, who often sounds like he's got a major case of a crush for our girl:lol: God, I'll get killed for this...:angel:

OH. YOU. BAD. BAD. MAN.

"Reasonably handsome?"

"REASONABLY handsome?"

"Handsome ... REASONABLY?"

Shockingly subtle insults flying to me from the outskirts of Croatia :devil:

How can I combat this irreverence? Not with a Miki Forehand ... a forehand like that would land fifteen feet past the baseline!

I may have to call upon the All-Knowing, All-Seeing, All-Pole-Dancing, Fabulous Slut Powers of ... Britney Spears.

What the Deuce, this is what they call a "cue".

I am perhaps sad to admit ... I have a soft spot for Britney, and better yet, that bedazzled strumpet TAKES NO PRISONERS.

Ahem. If Miki lays a massive ostrich egg in Melbourne it will indeed be very difficult to get excited about her season, and I don't like your Cilic analogy, Ma Re. I think it was only reasonably viable.:angel:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:28 PM

LMAO oh no you didn't... :p

I may have to call upon the All-Knowing, All-Seeing, All-Pole-Dancing, Fabulous Slut Powers of ... Britney Spears.

What the Deuce, this is what they call a "cue".

I am perhaps sad to admit ... I have a soft spot for Britney, and better yet, that bedazzled strumpet TAKES NO PRISONERS.
Britney and I won't claim to have the most discerning of tastes when it comes to men, however we think you're totally special. Dare I say, sexy. You turn me on, k? :kiss:

Miki should have married you. :sobbing: ;)

ajmo!
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:48 PM
It's not Borna Bikic :P thank God, it's nobody popular so name wouldn't mean anything. anyway, match vs. rus.. hmm, nothing to say but good luck in melbourne, australian open hasn't even started yet, no point to discuss oceania season yet.

Pebbles
Jan 7th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Bad loss :o

Maybe a stupid theory but perhaps Miki has lost a little motivation now she's back inside the top 100. It would seem that achieving that goal should spur her on to bigger, better things but it is of course much harder to elevate your ranking once you're inside the top 100. I just feel that her uninspired form as of late might be due to this. Now she's a regular WTA player again, those points that soared her back into the elite just won't go as far anymore. Maybe plugging away in qualifying just doesn't seem as rewarding right now. Either way, I know she'll bounce back, hopefully we'll be celebrating some match wins come the AO :)

Ballbasher
Jan 7th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mirjana lacks one big win she needs for her own confidence. The best example is the loss against Arvidsson, she would be much higher, if she had won that match. Most of her points come from comparably weaker events in the US. But I believe Mirjana will be able to turnaround things rather soon. :D :bounce:

ma re
Jan 7th, 2011, 03:31 PM
Britney and I won't claim to have the most discerning of tastes when it comes to men, however we think you're totally special. Dare I say, sexy. You turn me on, k? :kiss:

Miki should have married you. :sobbing: ;)

OK, take it easy Britney, before we get a PG rating for this thread...:lol:

mikireturns
Jan 8th, 2011, 02:11 AM
! You're all deliciously gorgeous ... but, sadly, not as sizzling hot as me.

~It's a gift~.

Miki still has the Oz Open to redeem herself from such lazy play. I believe in that sassy Croatian Mama. We'll see.

But, I could never be married to her, for a variety of reasons, not least of which is that I could routinely kick her butt on the tennis court.

Hee Hee Hee.

Okay, What the Deuce, it's you, me, and Britney for dinner at a sweet little French bistro in Tarzana, CA. I'm buying.

Love Brit, but homegirl will have to find her own ride home.

mikireturns
Jan 8th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Damn it to hell. That underperforming Melanie Oudin just got signed to a major, million-dollar clothing deal.

Goddamn it.

(Sorry, Lord)

Melanie Oudin is about as smart as a bag of hair.

I have for years watched completely uneducated idiots stumble like diseased moose through interviews (Jennifer Capriati), but I draw the line at Melanie Oudin.

She (in my opinion) is the most head-slappingly stupid ding-dong we've seen in a long while.

Of course, that midget mongoloid is going to get the hot endorsements. Just wait until she continues to SUCK.

"How did you feel about the match today, Melanie?"

"Like, I like, just sort of just, like, felt, like, just, like, I was, like, just, sort of like, just, kind of , like, just, you know, um, like, I was just, like, well, um, like it was, like a match, okay, and then like, I, um, just, you know, was like, just, um, like trying."

"Thank you, Melanie, for your refreshingly philosophical commentary."

"Well, um, like, just, you know, sure. Sure."

You get a really good reporter with Mirjana for an hour, and you'll come out of it with a best-seller because Mirjana expresses herself so so so so so so honorably and eloquently.

I can't stand idiots ... I CAN'T!

That being said, we'll hope our currently bored Mirjana finds some sort of magic. Who the hell knows what she is doing now. Heaven forbid she is doing cartwheels on some crummy margarita-bar in Melbourne.

SERVivor
Jan 8th, 2011, 04:46 PM

Seriously though, this is a worrisome loss. She definately needs to step it up and give her 100% in Melbourne. But I don't really know what to hope for in terms of draw. Another draw like in Sydney, could end...like in Sydney, while a match-up against some major star could either end-up as a great and important upset, or as another terrible and depressing loss.

But you just can't know anything in advance. Many of us who follow other Croats as well, probably remember how great of a start of 2010 Marin Cilic had. He won Chennai and went on to reach the semis of AO, only to play pretty much like crap for the rest of the year and finish it almost outside of top15 (the year he started at #8, I think). So sometimes things change for no obvious reason and something like that might happen to Miki as well. Let's hope it really does. One thing that gives me hope is that I'm pretty certain she's a kind of person who is her greatest critic and is probably kicking herself big time because of this, which could make her mad/determind enough to get things going the right way in Melbourne.

No sh&t. From that last inspired post you'd think he has a vested interest in her :lol:

mikireturns
Jan 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM
BTW ... there is a chance that Mirjana is recovering from a slight injury, which may have contributed to her slow start Down Under.

She is not ever to be counted out, of course~

mikireturns
Jan 8th, 2011, 04:54 PM
No sh&t. From that last inspired post you'd think he has a vested interest in her :lol:

I would like to see her play in an interesting vest ... does that count for anything?

ajmo!
Jan 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
BTW ... there is a chance that Mirjana is recovering from a slight injury, which may have contributed to her slow start Down Under.

She is not ever to be counted out, of course~

What do you know? :p

mikireturns
Jan 8th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Well, a hamstring strain ... she isn't exactly advertising it, except to Miro. She's okay, though, and apparently "ready" to win the Open.

I absolutely think she could, if the stars & planets line-up in very magical patterns.

Why not her?

Why not Mirjana

mala18
Jan 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I read that she has been batteling hamstring injury...she said it :(
Hope she is back and majorly so at the Open!!
GL

ajmo!
Jan 9th, 2011, 06:27 PM
That's bothering her for longer time, I even remember she had problems with it few years ago and also last spring and at the US Open. Hope she can recover.

Open last year:
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/U+S+Open+Day+4+PfBB21bDbLRl.jpg

Raleigh 2008:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3365/3524388688_951d2a0e36.jpg

mala18
Jan 9th, 2011, 10:50 PM
is she was ranked 450 and playing qualies of plantation I would be worried.
BUT
she is 96 in the world, who said that she had bad 4 months? She qualiefied for the Open, won a round. Won Albarqurque, lost in semis of LasVegas, for crying out loud she flew to Japan last week of the November and played semis there... am I missing something?
She is doing good, yes we wish her to destroy all of them, but let's get her rested, she didn't even heal properly...she played and played and played....i hate that all these ppl with cro flags are so negative, I don't see that other Crotians players get this much crap, in the other threads,,,
my english is not so great

MLF
Jan 9th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I agree with you totally Mala, she's doing great. Let's cut her some slack, there are going to be disappointing losse for any athlete, but she has come so far, and hopefully will continue to progress.

ma re
Jan 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Well, Mala18, I don't know whom you have in mind cause there are many suspects (:lol:), but here's how I see it. I agree that people can at times be a bit harsh on Miki. I also agree that some have overwhelming expectations. But...

If you live around here (Croatia) you can't really be that surprised by this. First of all, don't know if you remember, but Miki created some incredible media buzz when she was only a kid, back in the 90's. And I'm not talking Wimbledon and stuff like that, I'm talking about time even way before that.

For example, I know there were posters of her available in sports magazines in Croatia when she was like still 14 years old. There were stories on tv about her, not to mention newspapers. Media attention was pretty crazy altogether. She was "the new sensation", "the tennis prodigy", "a wonder that'll bring the world to it's knees". Comments like that were not uncommon about her back in the days, and it was only a matter of time before people would get their expectations up in the stratosphere. She started winning titles and climbing the rankings, and people expected her to get better and better and better.

We all know what happened then and how much of a media circus the story about Mirjana became over here. And now that she's back, people can be ruthless for various reasons (and the "media circus" has a lot to do with it IMO). Yes, she's making progress, but someone who doesn't follow tennis too much (especially women's tennis) might think she's getting nowhere, cause her way back, although steady, is on the slow side compared to the likes of Clijsters and others people hear about. And you probably know how much patience an average Croat has when it comes to sports:lol: Everything must be done yesterday and results must be out of this world, otherwise, why'd you even bother - crazy, but that's the norm here.

So yes, she's slowly getting back to where she should be (or should've been long ago if things played out differently), but the important thing is that she's one of the most stubborn and determined people I've ever heard of, and that's what gets you to the finish line even more so than any sort of crazy natural talent.

Anyway, I won't get into judging anyone or taking sides here cause I believe that we all have a right to an opinion, I'm just trying to give you all a way to a different point of view. Hope Miki's results get us all to agree much more often;)

AaronJoyB
Jan 10th, 2011, 01:26 PM
is she was ranked 450 and playing qualies of plantation I would be worried.
BUT
she is 96 in the world, who said that she had bad 4 months? She qualiefied for the Open, won a round. Won Albarqurque, lost in semis of LasVegas, for crying out loud she flew to Japan last week of the November and played semis there... am I missing something?
She is doing good, yes we wish her to destroy all of them, but let's get her rested, she didn't even heal properly...she played and played and played....i hate that all these ppl with cro flags are so negative, I don't see that other Crotians players get this much crap, in the other threads,,,
my english is not so great

Nice quote...no words about some haters..

SERVivor
Jan 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Damn it to hell. That underperforming Melanie Oudin just got signed to a major, million-dollar clothing deal.

Goddamn it.

(Sorry, Lord)

Melanie Oudin is about as smart as a bag of hair.

I have for years watched completely uneducated idiots stumble like diseased moose through interviews (Jennifer Capriati), but I draw the line at Melanie Oudin.

She (in my opinion) is the most head-slappingly stupid ding-dong we've seen in a long while.

Of course, that midget mongoloid is going to get the hot endorsements. Just wait until she continues to SUCK.

"How did you feel about the match today, Melanie?"

"Like, I like, just sort of just, like, felt, like, just, like, I was, like, just, sort of like, just, kind of , like, just, you know, um, like, I was just, like, well, um, like it was, like a match, okay, and then like, I, um, just, you know, was like, just, um, like trying."

"Thank you, Melanie, for your refreshingly philosophical commentary."

"Well, um, like, just, you know, sure. Sure."

You get a really good reporter with Mirjana for an hour, and you'll come out of it with a best-seller because Mirjana expresses herself so so so so so so honorably and eloquently.

I can't stand idiots ... I CAN'T!

That being said, we'll hope our currently bored Mirjana finds some sort of magic. Who the hell knows what she is doing now. Heaven forbid she is doing cartwheels on some crummy margarita-bar in Melbourne.

Melanie does sound like 18 going on 12 in her interviews. She is still riding the success of one great tournament performance. And, I think, the irony is, alot of americans are drawn to her small town "Aw shucks" attitude. They eat that up. So, what sounds like mindless dribble to us, is probably actually adding to her appeal to the average U.S. mainstream viewer.

ma re
Jan 13th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I was just looking at some historic stats this morning, and particularly looked up Miki's seasons that she started by playing tournaments in Australia. That happened 3 times in her career (not counting this season), from 1998 until 2000.

The only time when she got away with some singles wins in Australian tournaments (it was always just Sydney and AO before this year) was in 1998 when she, as a world's #48, qualified for Sydney and eventually lost in R1 to some girl ranked 96 at the time...Serena Williams - it was 3:6, 6:4, 7:5. After that loss she went on to win her R1 in Melbourne against Stubbs, and lost in the next round to world's #6 and the 4th seed that year, Iva Majoli (7:5, 6:4).

In the two following seasons she lost in both opening rounds (Sydney and AO), first to Coetzer (#17) and Loit (#95), and the next year to #78 Gersi in QR1 of Sydney and #1 Hingis in R1 of Melbourne.

So Miki doesen't have that good of a singles record in Australia actually, but honestly, I wouldn't mind if a season similar to 1999 (but a bit more stable and balanced) was to repeat this year, even with the losses at the very beggining;)

croat123
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
draw time...fingers crossed

croat123
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Cirstea first round

Miracle Worker
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Cirstea? I don't know what's new with her, but she still in crisis, right?

croat123
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:23 PM
she's been doing a bit better..still about as good as the draw is going to get

ajmo!
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Cirstea had two good wins in Sydney before losing to Jovanovski. GL Mirjana

croat123
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:33 PM
ugh..she really did find two very good wins last week, shit

frenchie
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:35 PM
ideal draw
It's a GS after all

Can get any better honestly.
I'll be happy with 1 win

networthy
Jan 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
^ I'll be absolutely thrilled if Mirjana can get the R1 win.

tennismaster8820
Jan 13th, 2011, 11:14 PM
It would be AMAZING if she could win this one.
Good luck! :yeah:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Her whole section:

[22] PENNETTA, Flavia ITA v RODIONOVA, Anastasia AUS
DOMINGUEZ LINO, Lourdes ESP v LARSSON, Johanna SWE
CIRSTEA, Sorana ROU v LUCIC, Mirjana CRO
JOHANSSON, Mathilde FRA v [10] PEER, Shahar ISR

Good luck Miki :kiss:

SERVivor
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:24 AM
She has the mental advantage of having taken Cirstea out last time they met. Cirstea is unpredictable. Hopefully she'll make alot of UE.

kfh_9118
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:46 AM
only better draw than this is that Miki drew Australian WC players.

c'mon Miki, make good use of this draw please

croat123
Jan 14th, 2011, 01:57 AM
yeah, objectively the draw couldn't be better. come on miki! 100 points...

mikireturns
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Just saw the draw. At least Miki knows she has the stuff to beat Cirstea. While I was out of town I thought a bit more about her play thus far ... Lisicki is really back in form and Jovanovic went all the way to the semis, with her toughest test being against an obviously in-form Rus, who beat Miki. So ...

Hope for the best, hope she plays to her full potential, best of luck to her.

jela_dokic
Jan 14th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Best of luck miki!!!! you can get at least 1 win...and 100 points!!!

Good Luck in the AO2011 :):)

ajmo!
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:06 AM
only better draw than this is that Miki drew Australian WC players.

c'mon Miki, make good use of this draw please

Gallovits, Niculescu, Barrois and some others would be even better but ok.

BlueTrees
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Ajmo Miki. Cirsteas been doing a bit better lately though :(

ma re
Jan 14th, 2011, 06:45 AM
A nice draw really, all things considered. It's actually somewhat similar of a draw to the one she got at the USO. First a beatable opponent and then a good seeded player (with the difference being that I think Peer is now in a bit better of a form than Jankovic was back in NY). The fact that Cirstea never made it past R2 in Melbourne also sounds good.

Since this is a slam I expect Miki to be really ready and really motivated for this opening match, and a chance to fight it out against Peer must seem like a nice opportunity too.

Looking forward to it!

P. S. Of course, it would take a small miracle (no wait, a real big miracle) for this 1st round match to be televised...:sad:

coetzergambill
Jan 14th, 2011, 08:21 AM
gl mirjana for your first round match at the AO 2011!!!!!

Ballbasher
Jan 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM
Sorana is difficult. :o There at least 25 players, I would have rather liked to see next to Mirjana. :unsure:

mikireturns
Jan 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Sorana is difficult. :o There at least 25 players, I would have rather liked to see next to Mirjana. :unsure:

True. But every opponent is difficult at a Slam. And Mirjana knows she has beaten Cirstea handily before (1-6 6-1 6-1), just a few months ago. It'll be tough, but she can do it.

ajmo!
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM
True. But every opponent is difficult at a Slam. And Mirjana knows she has beaten Cirstea handily before (1-6 6-1 6-1), just a few months ago. It'll be tough, but she can do it.

0-6

Sasja
Jan 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Miki vs Sori :sobbing:

I both like them.

mikireturns
Jan 15th, 2011, 03:07 AM
0-6

Oh gosh, that's right.

Man, that was one weird-ass match.

mikireturns
Jan 15th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Looks as if Mirjana will play on Day 2 ... Day 1 Schedule is out.

ajmo!
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hoped for Day 1, not sure if I'm gonna be able to follow Day 2 :mad:

BlueTrees
Jan 15th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I wonder if it will be on a showcourt...?

croat123
Jan 15th, 2011, 07:47 PM
there's always a chance...day 1 has some matches on show courts that i would have expected to not be
i really want to see miki play :bounce:

BlueTrees
Jan 16th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I think the showcourts are: RLA, HA, MCA, SC2, SC3, C6 and C8. Theres a chance it could be on C6 or C8...

MLF
Jan 16th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Just a footnote to some of the Sydney comments last week. Arantxa Rus narrowly lost in the 2nd round of qualies to Jovanovski who went on to make main draw semis beating Jankovic and Pennetta en route, losing to eventual champion Na Li 7-6 6-3. Rus has just waltzed easily through Australian Open qualifying to make the main draw. Yes, Miki is capable of beating these girls but perhaps if we haven't seen the match then some of us shouldn't say how terrible a result it is for Miki.

Anyhow, main draw grand slam excitement coming up. I can't wait. Hopefully Miki can start fast against Cirstea. Cirstea's building up her confidence again so Miki doesn't need to give her any encouragement.

croat123
Jan 16th, 2011, 03:54 PM
yeah...she really did get two unexpectedly shitty draws so far...really hope they get c6 or c8 on tuesday

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 16th, 2011, 10:03 PM
yeah...she really did get two unexpectedly shitty draws so far...really hope they get c6 or c8 on tuesday
According to http://www.livescorehunter.com/live-streaming-video-tennis/ there is no C8 stream. :shrug: There's one for C6 though...

mikireturns
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Tomorrow.

Miki vs. Sorana.

3rd match on Court 13 (Matches begin at 11AM).

Following Safarova vs. Zhang

croat123
Jan 17th, 2011, 03:06 AM
c13 :sad: good luck miki!

ma re
Jan 17th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Too bad about the court (and 13 of all numbers...), but at least it's not too early for us in the homeland to follow via live-scores:)

Best of luck Miki!

BlueTrees
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Go Miki :) Too bad it wont be on TV :tears:

ajmo!
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM
AJMO :bounce:

ajmo!
Jan 17th, 2011, 02:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5E01VG5U3s

ma re
Jan 17th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Have to say that, despite everything we saw lately, I still have a good feeling about this tournament. The reason is quite simple. Of the two grand slams that Mirjana played since her comeback, she played good (all things considered) in each. Cause she knows the importance of slams.

In Wimbledon she went out in the opening round, but she troubled Azarenka. It did end in two, but Azarenka's celebration afterwards said a lot about what kind of a match it was. At the USO she took a chance given by the draw and eliminated an objectively inferior opponent, going out afterwards to one of the top seeds (far from best form, but still) after three sets.

So if there's one thing we can be sure of, it's that she'll give it one heck of a fight. Will that be enough, remains to be seen.

croat123
Jan 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
i don't know, i have a bad feeling... :( oh well, guess we'll find out what it is soon enough.

croat123
Jan 17th, 2011, 03:39 PM
the bright side: a win will put her at around 80 in the world...

SERVivor
Jan 17th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I think alot depends on Cirstea. She is capable of playing top 20 tennis, but can also play like crap. I think at this point Lucic is the more stable mentally. She should go for her shots but keep in mind that Cirstea is the type of player who can be an UF erro machine who is quite unpredictable. She should make Cirstea play because Cirstea can implode at times.

networthy
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:27 PM
i don't know, i have a bad feeling... :(

Me too :sobbing: Does that make me a bad person?

networthy
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I think alot depends on Cirstea. She is capable of playing top 20 tennis, but can also play like crap. I think at this point Lucic is the more stable mentally. She should go for her shots but keep in mind that Cirstea is the type of player who can be an UF erro machine who is quite unpredictable. She should make Cirstea play because Cirstea can implode at times.

:tape: :help:

Miracle Worker
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Me too :sobbing: Does that make me a bad person?

:hug:

ajmo!
Jan 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM
It would be really important match for Miki. She needs to win it somehow, and I believe she'll find a way. Ajmo Miki, welcome back to the Melbourne Park courts, they've been missing you for sure. It's time for some big tennis! :bounce:

rucolo
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Good luck at the AO, Mirjana!:cheer:

Wish I could watch the R1 match vs Cirstea.

It would be really important match for Miki. She needs to win it somehow, and I believe she'll find a way. Ajmo Miki, welcome back to the Melbourne Park courts, they've been missing you for sure. It's time for some big tennis! :bounce:

Agree. And I`m also very excited!:lol:

SERVivor
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:39 PM
:tape: :help:

I know. You can't say that about too many other opponents:D

coetzergambill
Jan 17th, 2011, 10:58 PM
best luck mirjana, get the win today!

kfh_9118
Jan 18th, 2011, 12:46 AM
good luck Miki, wish I could take a day off to watch you live today :mad:

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 02:49 AM
safarova is taking forever already...i might have to pass out before miki starts :(

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:01 AM
anyone going to be in here to post live scores if i pass out?

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:08 AM
I may follow the drama. I have no idea what she is going to bring to this contest, based upon what we have seen thus far this year. Not a clue.

These are the moments she has worked for, to compete in such matches. Hopefully, in her mind, she is saying, "I will go out there and rip this match from her. I will take it. I'm just going to do it. This is the Australian Open and I want to win!"

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:10 AM
GL Miki! Win this please! (Although I do like Sori quite a bit too - sucks they have to play 1st round)

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:13 AM
ugh..safarova going to a third set :sad:

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM
there's a reserved spot on MCA after the pennetta match...maybe she'll get it? :p

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:24 AM
Zhang is fighting tooth and nail ... figured as much.

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:31 AM
i guess we all knew that match would take forever :(

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:47 AM
ok, it's time :bounce:

xcrtbckhnd
Jan 18th, 2011, 03:58 AM
GL Miki now!!!

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:01 AM
lucic to serve first

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:02 AM
15-30 :scared:

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Lucic 1-0*

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:06 AM
1-1 0*-15

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:10 AM
wasted gp, broken :sad: 1-2*

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:14 AM
bps ... Miki come ON girl!

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Well, she's clearly fighting ... but opportunities!!!!!!! GO LUCIC!!!!! SEIZE THEM!

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Decent percentages & numbers so far; this could get interesting ... or who knows.

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:19 AM
wasting gps/bps...

mikireturns
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:19 AM
What is she DOING!!!!!!?????

croat123
Jan 18th, 2011, 04:21 AM
ad. lucic come on