PDA

View Full Version : Thelma Coyne Long

austinrunner
Nov 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
I'm wondering if she's still alive. She would be 92 years old now.

Rollo
Nov 16th, 2010, 01:44 AM
Happily she does appear to still be alive-she has been nominated for the 2011 US Tennis Hall of Fame.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/news/2010/09/andre_agassi_headlines_ballot.html

austinrunner
Nov 16th, 2010, 05:19 AM
That's great to know! Here's the official press release from the International Tennis Hall of Fame:
http://www.tennisfame.com/andre-agassi-headlines-ballot-for-international-tennis-hall-of-fame-class-of-2011-induction

GeeTee
Nov 19th, 2010, 11:30 PM
http://www.womenaustralia.info/image_viewer.htm?objects/images/AWE0432gd.jpg,D00073

austinrunner
Feb 21st, 2011, 07:47 PM
She apparently did not receive the votes to be inducted (nor did Christine Truman Janes). Andre Agassi and Peachy Kellmeyer will be the only inductees this year.

GeeTee
Feb 21st, 2011, 07:59 PM
A joke.

austinrunner
Feb 21st, 2011, 11:03 PM
What's the joke? If you're referring to Kellmeyer, she is being inducted in a special category, for her post-playing days contributions to tennis. They are impressive.

GeeTee
Feb 22nd, 2011, 08:42 AM
What's the joke? If you're referring to Kellmeyer, she is being inducted in a special category, for her post-playing days contributions to tennis. They are impressive.

It's a joke that someone like Thelma Long wasn't inducted years ago.

chris whiteside
Feb 22nd, 2011, 05:14 PM
This is the criteria for induction in the Master Player Category Eligibility Criteria

* Competitors in the sport who have been retired for at least 20 years prior to consideration.
* A distinguished record of competitive achievement at the highest international level, with consideration given to integrity, sportsmanship and character.

To be inducted as a Master Player, an affirmative vote of 75% or higher is necessary. The International Masters Panel, which consists of Hall of Fame Enshrinees and other individuals who are highly knowledgeable of the sport and its history, selects the Master Player Enshrinees.

Everyone can make their own mind up whether Thelma Long or Christine Truman should succeed.

One interetsing fact - in 17 Slam singles events outside Australia (if we trust Bud Collins figures) Ms Long reached 3 quarter-finals.

GeeTee
Mar 1st, 2011, 09:30 AM
These criteria don't seem to apply for (far) lesser players such as last year's inductee Gigi Fernandez...for example...who won what - two? - WTA singles tourmanents in her life. How many GS quarters in singles did Gigi reach?????

In what would normally be considered any player's peak years - age 20 (1938) and 30 (1948) - Thelma played in three overseas GS tournaments (1938) - all in her debut outside Australia.

Imagine a hall of fame player who could't accrue any honours during her 20s.....and just had to rely on her record as a teenager or 30+something veteran...

Don't have ANY probs with Christine's nomination - but surely legendary players from older eras should have been nominated (and honoured) MANY years prior to later stars..

Rollo
Mar 1st, 2011, 03:33 PM
I feel for Thelma-she would have received my vote!

The Hall of Fame does appear to be a tough nut to crack for the Master Player category. Nancy Richey told me that she was nominated but didn't get enough votes the first time around. In her view this was because they didn't have her total record. Happilly Nancy did get in the second time.

I nominated Hilde Sperling about a year ago and heard nothing back from the HOF. Hilde won 3 French titles against quality opposition, made the finals of Wimbledon twice, had a win over Helen Wills, and beat Simone Mathieu like a drum (their head to head was at least 16-1 in Hilde's favor).

But who is in the HOF? Simone-clearly the lesser of the two players.

Hall of Famer or not let's use this space to celebrate Thelma. She not only was a great tennis player, she served her country as well in the Second World War. And in an era when players, particularly females, were at the mercy of the LTA, Long fought for her rights.

chris whiteside
Mar 1st, 2011, 05:41 PM
These criteria don't seem to apply for (far) lesser players such as last year's inductee Gigi Fernandez...for example...who won what - two? - WTA singles tourmanents in her life. How many GS quarters in singles did Gigi reach?????

In what would normally be considered any player's peak years - age 20 (1938) and 30 (1948) - Thelma played in three overseas GS tournaments (1938) - all in her debut outside Australia.

Imagine a hall of fame player who could't accrue any honours during her 20s.....and just had to rely on her record as a teenager or 30+something veteran...

Don't have ANY probs with Christine's nomination - but surely legendary players from older eras should have been nominated (and honoured) MANY years prior to later stars..

I feel for Thelma-she would have received my vote!

The Hall of Fame does appear to be a tough nut to crack for the Master Player category. Nancy Richey told me that she was nominated but didn't get enough votes the first time around. In her view this was because they didn't have her total record. Happilly Nancy did get in the second time.

I nominated Hilde Sperling about a year ago and heard nothing back from the HOF. Hilde won 3 French titles against quality opposition, made the finals of Wimbledon twice, had a win over Helen Wills, and beat Simone Mathieu like a drum (their head to head was at least 16-1 in Hilde's favor).

But who is in the HOF? Simone-clearly the lesser of the two players.

Hall of Famer or not let's use this space to celebrate Thelma. She not only was a great tennis player, she served her country as well in the Second World War. And in an era when players, particularly females, were at the mercy of the LTA, Long fought for her rights.

Unfortunately, you can't legislate for what never happened.

I wouldn't like to say whether either Thelma Long or Christine Truman should be inducted. I couldn't judge whether their records can be considered good enough for the criteria. Those "in the know" will decide.

Maybe I expect too much but I feel the bar for admittance to the ITHOF is too low.

Probably part of the problem is that it was opened originally as an American Hall Of Fame so the bar for initial initial inductees wasn't set as high as it might have been but once there it had set a precedent. If there was a British HOF all but a handful of players in it wouldn't be within a million light years of ITHOF.

Hilde Sperling is perhaps a contender on the basis that Simone Mathieu was elected. Perhaps they're giving weight to the fact that although SM "only" won RG twice she reached the final on seven occasions but then she didn't reach a Wimbledon final. Of the two only SM played in the US and then only twice once reaching the quarters and also losing in the first round.

Until y ou mentioned it, Rollo I wasn't aware HS had reached 2 Wimby finals - another Collins' howler. According to his Encyclopedia she didn't compete at Wimbledon in 1931 one of the years she did indeed make the final.

austinrunner
Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hilde Krahwinkel Sperling played 18 Grand Slam singles tournaments and reached at least the semifinals 11 times. Her Wikipedia article has the details. Perhaps she is seen as somewhat controversial as she was a German citizen who became a Danish citizen through marriage and then played tournaments in German-occupied Denmark. Germany treated Denmark a little differently from other occupied countries, but post-war collaboration issues existed there as in other formerly occupied areas.

GeeTee
Sep 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM
She'd better get up!! :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/sports/tennis/capriati-and-bollettieri-among-hall-of-fame-nominees.html

alfajeffster
Sep 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM
She'd better get up!! :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/08/sports/tennis/capriati-and-bollettieri-among-hall-of-fame-nominees.html

Still, she is a Long shot (I couldn't resist)!:lol: