PDA

View Full Version : Conclusions after the Swisscom

gopher
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:07 PM
After this tourney which was won by feisty Patty we can draw the following conclusions

1) When Serena does not participate you have about fifteen players now that can win the tournament.

2) Lindsay has the best part of her career behind her

3) The Belgians might be the only ones that could defy the Sisters but they lack focus and the total determination to get to the absolute top. This sounds tough but it is the truth. Let us hope that they prove me wrong in 2003. Part of the problem is the entourage. Kims match choices are just hopeless and Justines mental preparation is simply a joke.

4) Schnyder is back as I expected . She will be the dark horse for next year.

Jarrett
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Sad to say but #2 is true. But I don't know if Patty is back. If she does well in a couple of tournaments in a row then I think we can say that. But I hope she! :)

spencercarlos
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Also i don´t think number 2 is that much true, Yeah Lindsay has been losing those too many finals, but on the other hand many people forget that she did not played for 9 months, plus she has not done bad in any of her tournaments. She has lost 4 finals (Chanda, Venus, Maguie,Patty), and lost the other 4 matches against Venus, Serena and Kim. Nothing to be ashamed of..

Remember also that she has an ankle injury too.

A player that had stopped that much time would love to have a comeback like that. She still has her last great chance of winning a tittle in Linz.

gossipcom
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:42 PM
That's if she plays Linz - she might want to take the week off till LA now since she's qualifed.

per4ever
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:06 PM
After this tourney which was won by feisty Patty we can draw the following conclusions

1) When Serena does not participate you have about fifteen players now that can win the tournament.
agree
2) Lindsay has the best part of her career behind her
don't agree...she is still playing great tennis, had great results in the tournaments she played..just didn't win. She will be a major contender for the number 1 position next year, with nothing to defend 'till after Wimbledon!!!!!!!

3) The Belgians might be the only ones that could defy the Sisters but they lack focus and the total determination to get to the absolute top. This sounds tough but it is the truth. Let us hope that they prove me wrong in 2003. Part of the problem is the entourage. Kims match choices are just hopeless and Justines mental preparation is simply a joke.
may be true....don't see anyone else threatening the Sisters at the moment.

4) Schnyder is back as I expected . She will be the dark horse for next year.
Schnyder will do exactly the same next year...have a few good wins. I doubt she'll be a top 10 player.

domingo2
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:06 PM
I agree that the Belgiums pose the biggest future threat to the Williams sisters. I think that once Kim gets over her "fear factor" with Serena and play intelligent tennis against Venus (like she did in Hamburg) she will pose the biggest threat. I think Justine will win the first grand slam of the Belgiums and it could happen as soon as French 2003. Although I am a huge Venus and Serena fan-I would like to see hard fought three setters with these players next year. :cool:

mboyle
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:42 PM
The belgians beating the Williams sisters? no. The Belgian (sing. being Kim Clijsters) beating the sisters I can see. Dani beating them in a year or so I can see. One of the Russians in a while yes. But Henin/Capriati/Davenport/Mauresmo etc. haven't been improoving lately, and Justine IN PARTICULAR needs to stop focusing on how her opponent is cheating in any random way and start figuring out why she chokes away leads. As for Patty being back, I am not convinced. I think Lindsay basically handed the match to her, just like she did to Chanda, Venus, and Maggie. She played an excellent first set in all those matches, and against everyone but Venus, simply failed to close out the match, which really cost her. But still, I hope above all hope that Patty is back, because as I have said before, she is a BLAST to watch.

evaz
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by per4ever

Schnyder will do exactly the same next year...have a few good wins. I doubt she'll be a top 10 player.

If she is able to play like this - anything is possible - even a top 10 ranking!

Gowza
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:28 AM
i think you may be right gopher, schnyder may be back because she has had a couple of great tournies ths year, remember charleston when she beat both serena and capriati as well as pierce and mauresmo. and now at the swisscom challenge although she did not eat so many players at the highest calibre she did beat lindsay, hantuchova, bovina and a very in form martinez.

i'm not saying she is definately back, but she is showing us some signs that she can still play at a very high level. who know's maybe she will get back in the top ten next year?

per4ever
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by schnyderfan

If she is able to play like this - anything is possible - even a top 10 ranking!

IF!!!!!!!!!!! Patty has always been rather inconsistent.. I doubt that will change.

malaye
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by mboyle
...and Justine IN PARTICULAR needs to stop focusing on how her opponent is cheating in any random way ...
:confused: What exactly do you mean by that ? Am I missing something ? :confused:

malaye
Oct 21st, 2002, 07:55 AM
Sorry Mboyle. I couldn't watch the match on TV, and had no access to the net over the weekend, so I had no idea what you were talking about ;)

evaz
Oct 21st, 2002, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by per4ever

IF!!!!!!!!!!! Patty has always been rather inconsistent.. I doubt that will change.

that's right, Patty has often been inconsistent. Anyway she gained so much confidence throughout the last week and if Patty is confident, she's playing her best tennis and she's got top 10 potential!