PDA

View Full Version : The Maleeva Sisters - a video profile

scandic78
Oct 19th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Quite a nice video of the Maleeva sisters, filmed when all three were more or less at the pinnacle of their game during 1993. Enjoy! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z2CmeQrMSU

Rollo
Oct 19th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Wonderful Scandic! The best part for me was when Yulia explained how she became the national champ again only 88 days after giving birth to Manuela. That and the sentence (given with a smile) about how the girls had no choice.

I somehow doubt if any of them regret what mama did for them.

scandic78
Oct 20th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Wonderful Scandic! The best part for me was when Yulia explained how she became the national champ again only 88 days after giving birth to Manuela. That at the sentence (given with a smile) about how the girls had no choice.

I somehow doubt if any of them regret what mama did for them.

Yes, I'm glad that Yulia was honest about the kids not having a choice and making a light-hearted joke about it :lol: I think in Bulgaria in those days for anyone with a passion or desire to achieve something, anything like that would have been seen as a viable escape route.

Yulia was wrong tho, poor Maggie never reached number one. Hope she's happy with number 4 being the highlight of Maggie's career.

Ivan.
Oct 20th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thank you very much for this video . It is so nice to see them :)

Jankarenka
Oct 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Mama Maleeva hated communism

Katya looks like suarez navarro

Manuela sounds exactly like Maria Kirilenko, don't you think?

scandic78
Oct 20th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Mama Maleeva hated communism

Katya looks like suarez navarro

Manuela sounds exactly like Maria Kirilenko, don't you think?

Oh wow, you are so right, especially about Katerina looking like CSN. :lol:

It's true what is said just before the video finishes...Julia asks what her girls would have achieved if they were able to train and learn tennis in the 'free world'. Would they have had more success and better results? That's a tough question and a lot of it is down to natural, raw talent - not just hard work and training.

Ironically, not long after after this video was filmed, Manuela retired from tennis altogether and Katerina started her slow and painful decline down the rankings, leaving Maggie to shine until she had that terrible shoulder/back injury in the mid/late nineties.

Over all, I think if the girls were raised outside of communist Bulgaria I believe that Manuela would have had marginally greater success. She retired very early as well at the age of 26 and was appearing to really improve in form with some great wins during 1992-1993 :D

*JR*
Oct 20th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Manuela was one of my favorites back then, and is still beautiful. :hearts:

Sadly, Maggie may be most remembered as "the other player in the match" when Monica was stabbed by Parche. :(

DennisFitz
Oct 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Always felt that in the States, they always got a bad rap. And Pam Shriver didn't help!

Before the Williams sisters, there were the 3 Maleevas. While not as good as the Williams, they still were amazing to all reach the top 10 during their careers. All beat Navratilova too, with Maggie and Manuela doing it at the US Open (I was there when Manuela beat Martina the year after Martina double bageled Manuela).

I thought Manuela was the best of the three - and the most consistent. Maggie being the youngest was a more versatile player, and being such a free spirit, was willing to be more than a retriever. Despite lots of injuries, she did well for herself, able to stretch her career over two different generations, with wins over Navratilova and Venus Williams, among many other players.

Manuela was playing well when she retired, but obviously she felt she had enough after @ 12 years on tour.

In 1984, I thought Manuela might be the one to make the assault on the Navratilova-Evert stranglehold at the top of the women's game. Manuela shot right into the top in the spring of '84. She stunned Chrissie on clay to win the Italian. And she nearly toppled Chris in the R16 at the French that year. Had Manuela been in a different spot in the draw, I think she would have easily been in the semis. I think she was the 3rd best clay courter at the time. Throughout her career Manuela had tough losses at the French, to Seles, Graf, and Evert.

crazillo
Jan 29th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I enjoyed this video so much, thanx!

Manuela was the best out of the three -- I agree. Maybe it would be better to say: she was the most consistent one. Who knows, if she had kept on playing up to the age of 30, she might have had a chance to win a major. She probably was the only Maleeva capable of doing so.

Maggie though missed a chance to shine between 1995-1996 when the tour was in transition mode similair to nowadays. Maggie did play her best at this time of her career, but she never made that transition to the majors. Then injuries kept in and she did well in her second career, but the game had become too powerful for her. I still can't believe she has only reached one Grand Slam QF in her entire career. Do you guys think this shows her true limits or was it more of a mental thing?

Katerina - never really liked her game, but her face always looked extremly sad, and I somehow felt for her during matches and eventually hoped to see her win. xD

What are other people's thoughts about the sisters?