PDA

View Full Version : Henin Angry At Davenport

lizchris
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Henin accuses Davenport of feigning injury
By Timothy Collings

ZURICH, Oct 19 (Reuters) - Defending champion Lindsay Davenport was accused of feigning injury to gain an advantage as she battled to a tight win over Belgium's Justine Henin to claim a place in the final of the Swisscom Challenge on Saturday.

Davenport now meets local favourite Patty Schnyder, who beat Spain's Conchita Martinez 6-0 6-3, in Sunday's final.

But the American, who is bidding to win her first tournament since undergoing knee surgery in January, should not have made the final according to Henin.

"She was in such a state, she was crying and limping and looked as if she could not go on," said the 20-year-old Henin. "I was sure she would retire, but she didn't. And it was very difficult to play against her like that."

Henin said that from 4-1 up in the second set, when she looked certain to press home her advantage against an injured opponent, she lost her concentration because of Davenport's antics.

"It is very hard to play against players who do all the things that she did today," she added.

"For me, it was tough. Somehow, she played and she carried on. I didn't know what to expect in that part of the second set. It was not easy."

Henin made particular reference to the way in which the three-times Grand Slam winner hopped around and sought treatment during the latter stages of the second set.

With Davenport struggling with the ankle injury, Henin raced to a 4-1 lead in the second set, only for Davenport to reel of the next three games to level the scores.

Later, with Henin leading 6-5 after grabbing another service break in the 11th game, the American limped dramatically before making another near-miraculous recovery when she ran out to a 40-0 lead that included one running cross-court forehand pass that left the Belgian watching.

"I don't want to say anything that I will really regret about this," said Henin. "But if you are limping one minute, you don't usually play the next game the way she did.

"It was a very difficult experience and difficult for my concentration. I didn't know if she could play from what I saw at the other end of the court.

"But she won 7-6 7-6. That's tennis isn't it? I have to be positive. It was my first time here and there is another tournament ahead."

Lindsayfan
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:42 PM
It's not a Lindsay's fault if Justine is a choker and she loses her concentration very easily.and who said that a injured player has to retire?until she's on court,u have to beat her! :rolleyes:

gmak
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:44 PM
such a sore loser justine.....
:(

Cybelle Darkholme
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Davenport is such a drama queen! Justine should have just stayed focused and try to ignore the gamesmanship of lindsay.

CanadianBoy21
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Limping one minute, and next minute u are feeling fine.

Very fishy Lindsay!

Steff_forever2
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Juju should be angry with her own behaviour.

She just mourns the forgiven chances and she couldn't stand Lindsay's mental strength to play it point by point to the (bitter) end ...

Sorry Juju, but that's just a childish character !

2ace2
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:56 PM
I saw the match, and it was really obvious Lindsay was faking. I'm really disappointed in her. And that won 3 slams...
Justine has every right to react the way she does!

Lindsayfan
Oct 19th, 2002, 05:59 PM
i advice all ppl who didnt see match to stay quiet.only who saw the match can talk about...

Steff_forever2
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Don't think Lindsay was faking. She just played tough hip-hop winners to shorten the rallies. She definitely played with pain.
Juju just wasn't able to play long and placed(?) enough.

gmak
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:02 PM
it's not lindsays fault that justine is the next jana novotna :p

Lindsayfan
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:05 PM
like lindsay said,justine didnt hit a drop shot and didnt hit on angles,she just hit the ball on center,so lindsay played more powerful than ever!

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Maybe Lindsay was faking. It's Justine's job to EXPLOIT that!

How do you play a healthy Lindsay? Run her around, mix up your shots. Speed and endurance are not her strong suits.

How do you play an injured Lindsay? Run her around, mix up your shots. Speed and endurance are not her strong suits. If Justine took it easy on an injured opponent and got beat as a result, that's a lesson she needed to learn.

gerhard
Oct 19th, 2002, 07:00 PM
I also have seen the game. I am convinced that her injury wasn't faked. Due to this fact it was an excellent performance to win the game.
If Justine has a mental problem to play against an injured opponent she has to change her attitude. After Lindsay's injury Justine played the balls directly in front of Lindsay's feet.

Thanks a lot to Justine and Congratulations to Lindsay - after this win I love you more than ever ;)

King Lindsay
Oct 19th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Well, just what sense would it make for Lindsay to fake an injury? When she called for the trainer after the first set, she was already winning. What did she have to gain by faking an injury at that point?

I think Justine was just upset at her performance, and maybe frustrated that she's never been able to beat Lindsay, despite playing her close almost every time.

Philip
Oct 19th, 2002, 07:33 PM
We will see if Lindsay is injured probably in tomorrows final, as im sure as hell that Patty is definately gunna mix that ball up.

Good Luck Patty

Smart
Oct 19th, 2002, 08:05 PM
I totally agree Justine.
Lindsay is a real actor. Is there free places in the Metropolitan Opera?

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2002, 08:30 PM
King Lindsay - If Lindsay knew Justine lets up on injured opponents, she has the match-win to gain. Being ahead doesn't mean you think you're going to win. However, let's let reality intrude. If she had even a minor sprain, then she wasn't faking. Justine's a professional. She's supposed to stake an injured opponent through the heart. She didn't. Saying 'it affected my concentration' just tells your opponents its easy to break your concentration.

player2
Oct 19th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Very surprised at the behavior of both Davenport
and Henin. These 2 players certainly have no
history of poor sportsmanship but it sounds
like both of them behaved badly.

I have to agree, however, that there are too
many instances of "injured" players performing
at levels that would lead one to question
their integrity. Still, it was bad form for
Justine to do so after a loss. Looks like
sour grapes. Nevertheless, I understand that
momentum can be broken by injury timeouts
and bathroom breaks. These seem to have
become tactics--clearly unethical.

Davenport is getting to be a joyless player.
Too much negative body language.
If you're really hurt get off the court.

niratti
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:22 PM
If Lindsay really pretended being injured(which nobody knows), should I feel sorry for you(Justin), stupid girl, that you were fooled by Lindsay.

I don't think Lindsay pretended at all!!!
however, there's no rule that the players can't act being injurred!!! :)

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2002, 09:51 PM
niratti - Did you miss school the year they taught sportsmanship?

King Lindsay
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:07 PM
Volcana. When you take an injury timeout after winning a hard-fought first set, the only person you hurt is yourself, since that breaks YOUR momentum. Which is exactly what happened, Justine did go out 4-1 in the 2nd, didn't she? Besides, why would she use an injury ploy against a player she's never lost to while she's winning the match? THAT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. Too bad that eluded Justine Henin.

Where's your evidence that Justine lets up on injured opponents? There's none.

I agree with that last part. Justine is supposed to put the hammer down on injured players. She didn't do it, and I'm sure she said what she did out of frustration with herself.

Kiwi_Boy
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:19 PM
i think she may have faked it which is very dissapointing if she did!:sad:

Volcana
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:21 PM
King Lindsay - You could take an injury time-out after winning a hard fought first set because you were tired and sure you'd lose the next one if you proceeded immediately. I completely disagree with the idea that taking an injury timeout after winning a set it 'just doesn't make sense'.

However we agree on the essential.
If Lindsay was healthy, it Justine's job to win that match.
If Lindsay was injured, it Justine's job to win that match.

Blaming another player being injured for a LOSS is .. well THAT'S what 'just doesn't make sense' to me.

treufreund
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Disappointed in Lindsay. She sure does have a good analysis of what Justine should have done. Almost like she knew what would happen if she faked it.

Justine's inability to hold a two-break lead is also ridiculous. :rolleyes: What happened to angles, finesse and placement. Why hit everything hard in the middle for Lindsay to tee off on????

auntie janie
Oct 19th, 2002, 10:34 PM
I agree, Volcana. Justine is my favorite player. But she has to learn to not get flustered and allow herself be affected, no matter what is going on out there. Deep down inside, I am sure she knows this. When she calms down, she will realize that she is really angry AT HERSELF. She blew a huge opportunity.

But she will learn from this, I guarantee you. it stings too much for her to let it happen again.

King Lindsay
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Volcana, I suppose I see your point there about the taking the timeout after the set. Not that I think that's what happened today.

I was just thinking .... how many people would've questioned the validity of Davenport's injury if Henin hadn't? I don't think any. Disappointed in Lindsay? No, I'm disappointed in all the sheep that have decided Justine was right.

It's just so silly to suggest Lindsay would be faking this. It's not like she has an Andy Roddick track record.

motta
Oct 19th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Davenport is such a bi***!

The Vampiress
Oct 20th, 2002, 12:22 AM
I was thinking the same thing, it's strange how she is complaining about it, then jumps back on surface with no pain :confused: and wins the second set. Maybe it was just aftershock after the old injury, but it is certainly is strange.

Greenout
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:04 AM
ROTF!!!

I didn't see the match; but hey it sounds hilarious.
Too funny. I never knew Lindsay to be a faker;but
there's a first for everything.

I think the truth lies in between. I bet Lindsay did
do a Roddick, and yes Justine did her Jana.

HA!!

onebridgecafe
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Nobody can tell the truth whether Davenport was faking or not.

The story here is all about Henin revealing her level of sportsmanship, as some above say.

ys
Oct 20th, 2002, 02:55 AM
Those who lose should better shut up not to look silly. Whatever happened, she had an opponent with a racket on the other side of the net. An dnothing else. Your winners are still winners. Your errors are still errors.

Justine is still young and needs to grow up a bit..

gopher
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Of course Lindsay was faking. And of course Justine should have been above this and clinched the match.
Only WINNING counts in this game. The end justifies the means in top sport. Something the somewhat naive Belgians still have to learn.

Williams Rulez
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:17 AM
lol... Justine should have been annoyed with herself. Even if Lindsay were faking (which i doubt), Justine should have played the match like she did if Lindsay were fine. Why take pity on Lindsay and end up losing?

Chet
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Agree totally with WilliamsRulez. Henin just does not maintain her concentration in matches very well. This is not the first match where her concentration has been affected. Whatever the opponent is doing, it really is up to the player to maintain her own concentration. Kudos to Lindsay for pulling this out.

*roddicksinme*
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:56 AM
well just to let you know even if you are injured, when the adrenaline hits, you probably wont feel it much and if you are such a great champion like LINDSAY IS you dont need to fake shit to win, you know how to win in any situation.......give it a break

Lindsay is the last player who would do this and Justine just went from being one of my very faves to being top 5 on my SH!T LIST
how pathetic she is

valeria
Oct 20th, 2002, 03:59 AM
i think Henin is more angry at the fact that there was a real chance for her to win a tournament (in months) since the William sisters are not playing.

Greenout
Oct 20th, 2002, 04:08 AM
I don't think Justine is a poor sport. Just a bit bitter.
I like the fact that she cares. I hate when players don't
get angry when they lose. I want to know that a player
isn't just going thru the motions. Matches, titles,
opportunities do mean alot.

Filip!
Oct 20th, 2002, 08:26 AM
I saw the match! And it was strange! Lindsay started with a big circus when she had pain in her leg! But it seemed to me she had only a problem with her injury between the points & not when she was playing a point... Strange, huh?

I believe that Lindsay had indeed some pain, but not as much as she wanted us to believe! I understand Justine very good, but may be it would have been a bit better to think this & not to say it against the media! Let's hope Justine can take sweet revenge against Lindsay next week!

In any case, I hope Patty wins today!

We can't know if Lindsay faked the injury or not, but I do think that if Justine is sure Lindsay is injured she'll play another kind of game than if she thinks Lindsay is healthy. They are humans (and who knows, maybe even some kind of friends) before atletes. You are in some way moved and maybe feel some pity when you see someone else in pain. And besides that, your tactic is different if you e.g. knows your opponent can't run really fast anymore. So, Lindsay faking the injury or not, it wasn't very 'honest' of her to be limping one minute and sprinting the next, I think

Steffica Greles
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:32 AM
No no.

No ya don't, Justine!

I saw that match on British Eurosport, and if the match had have gone on even a few points longer, Lindsay would've pulled out.

Lindsay was hitting the ball with immense power, desperately trying to finish off the match in two. Had Justine have taken the second set tie-break, Lindsay would have undoubtedly retired immediately. She was clearly finding it more and more difficult to move, and her first serve percentage had plummeted.

Lindsay was hobbling and not looking at all comfortable. But she refused to retire yet again. The thought of another injury must send shivers down her spine.

There is absolutely no substance in what Justine is saying. True, it must have been difficult for her, but that's not Lindsay's fault - Justine is a professional and will learn how to handle those situations.

Lindsayfan
Oct 20th, 2002, 10:42 AM
all ppl who r saying Lindsay was faking,are the ppl who didnt see the match in tv but just followed lives scores and read players's interview :rolleyes:

vertiklychalengd
Oct 20th, 2002, 11:30 AM
i need to see this match

fleemke³
Oct 20th, 2002, 06:34 PM
i only see some shots from the match and can not be sure if it was real or not!

BUT! Why do you guys always believe what ppl are writing down? I can imagine that Juju was frustrated about it and she can't take that as an excuse! But did she sad it that way? Maybe she said one little thing and the journalist writes it down more spectacular!

I hope that Linds was realy harmed (She wont play Linz!) and that Juju is a sportswoman! But please don't believe everything they write!!!!!!!!!

flmm

Larrybid
Oct 21st, 2002, 08:17 PM
I really don't understand the mentality of players who complain about opponents "faking" injury. Why on earth would it make any differnce to you? If the opponent is so injured that they cannot continue, THEN and ONLY THEN should you feel sorry for them. If the player is playing and can get the ball back over the net, you need to assume they can beat you, and play accordingly. This is the oldest truism in high level sport.

This goofy excuse making by Henin is but one more reason why I prefer the no nonsense demeaner of Venus Willinams. The player on the other side of the net is your opponent, not your friend during a match. The minute you let your opponents body lauguage affect you, you are useless as a competitor.