PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a Blast Chat thread?

Rollo
Oct 7th, 2010, 04:05 PM
One idea for improving the Blast has been to create a unified chat thread. I am seriously considering the idea.

(For ideas on how to improve the blast in general please see http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=419584

I would like your opinions on this particular matter here.

Should the Blast have

A. One unified chat thread-closing down the 3 other threads. The three threads are;

Back!Back! Back! http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=41672

Seles Power Invincible! vol 2 http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335287

Hello-And I'm Back http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=406332

B. Keep things the way they are.

Finally-if we have an official chat thread would anyone (Miranda, Galadriel ) like to be in charge of it?

Thanks all

hingis-seles
Oct 7th, 2010, 07:23 PM
While I do not participate in chat threads, I do think they are very important for a forum to generate regular traffic. Keeping that in mind, the chat threads should stay. A unified chat thread would force everyone to interact with each other, which would mean less cliques. But, it could also be a mess of different conversations all over the place.

DennisFitz
Oct 7th, 2010, 07:38 PM
One idea for improving the Blast has been to create a unified chat thread. I am seriously considering the idea.

(For ideas on how to improve the blast in general please see http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=419584

I would like your opinions on this particular matter here.

Should the Blast have

A. One unified chat thread-closing down the 3 other threads.

B. Keep things the way they are.

Finally-if we have an official chat thread would anyone (Miranda, Galadriel ) like to be in charge of it?

Thanks all

Rollo - you do a marvelous job with this site. Thanks much!

Forgive my cluelessness with your particular question, but one unified chat thread, and closing down the other 3 threads. Do you mean closing down the 3 threads that appear at the top "Women's Tennis Results"; "Tournament Winners by Event"; and "Home of Tennis Greats", along with Thread Finder.

When I am looking for particular info or topics, I do like the ability to easily search.

Currently, there are a host of different threads, from 1923 results, to who the 4th best player of 1998 to Nancy Richey. Are you suggesting all those threads are combined into one? For me, I'd find that to be confusing.

(I stopped reading the posts on the Tennis.com site, with Pete Bodo's column. It's a long mish mash of comments, posted in real time. Many people reacting to the column, with discussions of on going matches, other current tennis topics, as well as lots of personal anecdotes flying by. I never got that kind of online tennis community. At least with BFTP, there are dedicated topics, and those who want to post/respond, or even argue points, are generally good about staying mostly on topic - and yes yours truly has certainly strayed from time to time.)

Whatever you decide to do, is what will happen. I do appreciate the site, and hope it continues. Thanks again.

Rollo
Oct 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Rollo - you do a marvelous job with this site. Thanks much!

Thank YOU Dennis. I'll clarify. The results sections will stay the same. By the 3 chat threads I really mean these threads..

Back!Back! Back! http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=41672

Seles Power Invincible! vol 2 http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=335287

Hello-And I'm Back http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=406332

There have been complaints about 3 different chat threads cluttering up the forum. The other complaint is it is hard for people to find chat threads when they aren't identified. The proposed solution would allow those interested in chats threads to always know where to go.

calou
Oct 8th, 2010, 07:30 AM
it's a very good idea Rollo :D

Miranda
Oct 8th, 2010, 07:54 AM
B please:wavey:

coz "Seles' power" thread has started as early as 2001, almost 10 yeas while "I am back" just this year and I want to keep this memorable thread alone.

Also, Back-Back-Back is not really a chat thread, its a thread of our crazy imagination (mainly just between me, gala and now Oizo), I think its better to separate "formal chat" and "crazy chat" and I want to keep our "masterpiece" intact. Whats more, the "Seles' power" thread are mainly consisted of conversations between those who love seles only, if we combine all threads together, it would be a bit confusing:wavey:

galadriel
Oct 11th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Please keep things the way they are :D "Our" thread is nearly 10 years old.Please don't delete it ....

austinrunner
Oct 11th, 2010, 05:42 PM
These are not appropriate threads, in my opinion. And if these threads are kept active, they need to be renamed to what they really are.

Miranda
Oct 12th, 2010, 02:39 AM
These are not appropriate threads, in my opinion. And if these threads are kept active, they need to be renamed to what they really are.

"Seles' power, invincible" and "back back back" threads were created when seles was still playing on the tour and in the old forum which belonged to Seles. They have almost 10 years of history before they were being moved by the mods to this "Blast from the past" forum:wavey:. I think they are old enough to belong in this "Blast from the past" forum. I agree that they should be renamed to reflect their actual status though. But they are not inappropriate, they marked the long term friendship of many posters :wavey:

austinrunner
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:24 AM
That's what "Non-tennis" and "General messages" are for. Also, the social networking sites like Facebook.

Miranda
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:58 AM
That's what "Non-tennis" and "General messages" are for. Also, the social networking sites like Facebook.

I think besides talking about tennis, we can also talk about our lives with other fans right? At the time we created these threads, facebook was not existed nor was there "General message", "Non Tennis".:wavey:

calou
Oct 12th, 2010, 04:52 AM
I think besides talking about tennis, we can also talk about our lives with other fans right? At the time we created these threads, facebook was not existed nor was there "General message", "Non Tennis".:wavey:
well said Miranda !:wavey:

austinrunner
Oct 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM
I don't think that what happened in the dark ages (more than 10 years ago) has any relationship with what we're doing now and in the future.

Miranda
Oct 12th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I don't think that what happened in the dark ages (more than 10 years ago) has any relationship with what we're doing now and in the future.

I respected your opinion. But you are not me, who have participated in these threads for almost 10 years, come here almost every day to "talk" with my old friends, feeling warm and happy whenever I see their posts, comforting each other when we are down ......, so I don't think you would understand why I wanted to keep these threads untouched:wavey:

galadriel
Oct 12th, 2010, 09:06 AM
"Seles' power, invincible" and "back back back" threads were created when seles was still playing on the tour and in the old forum which belonged to Seles. They have almost 10 years of history before they were being moved by the mods to this "Blast from the past" forum:wavey:. I think they are old enough to belong in this "Blast from the past" forum. I agree that they should be renamed to reflect their actual status though. But they are not inappropriate, they marked the long term friendship of many posters :wavey:

The threads are not inappropriate !!!! But I understand that some people are confused about their titles.Maybe we can rename it ?

Rollo
Oct 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
The threads are not inappropriate !!!! But I understand that some people are confused about their titles.Maybe we can rename it ?

Hi all. I will be gone today, but in the next few days I'll work on a solution that's workable. One idea is to see if the admins will grant me one more subforum. Changing the thread title might be an idea too.

I'll be in touch soon Miranda and Galadriel:)

Bероника
Oct 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Although I don't have much time lately to participate in Seles Power Invincible!,I'm of the same oppinion of Miranda and Galadriel.Unifying them would only make some people go away and this thread has been a special place for us as it's already been said.

It's not problem renaming it,but please don't delete it.

Miranda
Oct 13th, 2010, 01:46 AM
Hi all. I will be gone today, but in the next few days I'll work on a solution that's workable. One idea is to see if the admins will grant me one more subforum. Changing the thread title might be an idea too.

thanks for your understanding Rollo:kiss::angel:

galadriel
Oct 13th, 2010, 02:03 PM

Thank you :hug:It's great that you work on a solution :D

Andy T
Oct 14th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Rollo, you've always tried to encourage a live and let live approach in the Blast, promoting respect for all posters regardless of whether they are historians, ranking wizards, students of the game or one-player experts/fans and I think you should continue to have a house with many mansions. The only problem I can see is when chat threads don't have "CHAT" marked in the title, signposting people towards or away from them, according to their wont. I don't see why existing threads need to be merged or deleted but maybe a new lounge space which is not the creation/preserve of any one group of fans/friends could serve to enable posters to get to know each other a bit and improve the general atmosphere.

Zamboni
Oct 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
You have got your very own "non tennis" forum now :)

As I'm not a regular in this forum, I'll leave it to Rollo to move all the appropiate threads there.
Enjoy!

Rollo
Oct 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Posted by Andy T
Rollo, you've always tried to encourage a live and let live approach in the Blast, promoting respect for all posters regardless of whether they are historians, ranking wizards, students of the game or one-player experts/fans and I think you should continue to have a house with many mansions. The only problem I can see is when chat threads don't have "CHAT" marked in the title, signposting people towards or away from them, according to their wont. I don't see why existing threads need to be merged or deleted but maybe a new lounge space which is not the creation/preserve of any one group of fans/friends could serve to enable posters to get to know each other a bit and improve the general atmosphere.

I like the :house wit hmany mansions" metaphor andy. Hopefully the solution I've come up with satisfies most or all.

Zamboni has kindly allowed us a new subforum-thank you Zamboni:)

Miranda
Oct 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM
thanks a lot Rollo for your work and understanding:kiss::worship:

Bероника
Oct 17th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks a lot,Rollo and Linda :kiss: :)

Miranda
Oct 18th, 2010, 02:26 AM
You have got your very own "non tennis" forum now :)

As I'm not a regular in this forum, I'll leave it to Rollo to move all the appropiate threads there.
Enjoy!

thanks a lot Zamobini:kiss:

galadriel
Oct 18th, 2010, 09:17 AM
Thank you very very much :hug: